PDA

View Full Version : Greg Paulus sucks

GOBB
12-21-2006, 11:24 PM
And i cheered when he got hurt in the game vs Zags. I dont feel bad. :cheers:

TheGame414
12-21-2006, 11:36 PM
He's not very good, but he also hasn't been near 100% yet this year.

wang4three
12-22-2006, 01:52 AM
I've thought this for awhile. I just don't get the Steve Nash comparisons. Maybe it's just my friends at Duke being totally homerish, but I don't even see him being better than Luke Ridnour. Going down with 5 minutes left, I do not trust Greg Paulus at all. The guy gets too emotional and it clogs his judgement. Doesn't see the passes that he does at the beginning of the game. It's not like he's choking, just that he gets so hyped up that he's ready to fight or throw a punch at someone.

ThaKing
12-22-2006, 11:00 AM
He can't guard anyone defensively, and he's a turnover machine. Shoulda stuck with football.

HaNdLe ThE RoCk
12-22-2006, 12:11 PM
I agree, i never liked greg paulas anyway.

TheGame414
12-22-2006, 03:11 PM
Seems kinda untimely to be bashing him right now, considering he scored 21 in a big win last night.

Not that I think he's terrific, but still.

Jackass18
12-22-2006, 05:43 PM
Gonzaga is on a slide, they've lost 3 of their last 4.

If I was going to call a Duke player overrated, then it would be either McRoberts or Zoubek and not Paulus. Didn't he lead the ACC in assists last year as a Freshman? I'd cut him some slack this year because as Game said, he hasn't been 100%.

IlliniFan
12-22-2006, 05:56 PM
Chester Frazier>Greg Paulus

ThaKing
12-22-2006, 06:27 PM
Russell Robinson, Mario Chalmers, Sherron Collins all > Greg Paulus

TheGame414
12-22-2006, 09:12 PM
I agree with each of the previous two posts.

duke30
12-23-2006, 01:15 AM
he led the acc in assist as a freshman and he just coming of an injury and the only reason people say he sucks is cause they all hate duke.

TheGame414
12-23-2006, 02:05 AM
The "led the ACC in assists" line doesn't really mean anything.

The ACC didn't have any great point guards last year, because they were all in the 2005 Draft (Felton, Paul, Jack, Gilchrist, Ewing, Hodge). 5.2 is decent....not great. You have to go back well over a decade to find a year where that's gonna lead the ACC another time. Leading the ACC in assists last year is sort of a "tallest midget" deal.

It would've placed him a distant fourth the previous year, and would have him fifth so far this year, in more normal years statistically.

And just a number in and of itself doesn't mean squat. He was getting those assists swinging the ball to J.J. Redick or dumping it in to Shelden Williams. He wasn't getting his assists like, say, Marcus Williams or Dee Brown were getting them. You know, playmaking.

I'd guess that 95% of starting point guards in Division I could get 5.2 a game throwing the ball to Redick and Williams and letting them go to work.

This is all before we even consider that his career A/TO ratio is terrible. Getting 5 assists isn't anything to hang your hat on when you coughed it up four times.

There's lots of great reasons to hate Duke, but one doesn't need to hate Duke to criticize Greg Paulus. I don't even dislike the kid, to be honest. He's had his moments and could certainly become a very good college point guard, but so far in his career he hasn't been very good, injured or healthy.

ThaKing
12-23-2006, 11:11 AM
We haven't even mentioned his defense. Which is the worst I've seen at the PG position in some time.

wang4three
12-23-2006, 11:18 AM
http://graphics.fansonly.com/photos/schools/gewa/sports/m-baskbl/auto_action/476080.jpeg

TheGame414
12-23-2006, 04:09 PM
I don't think he's an awful defender, and since Duke as a whole is a very good defensive team, I won't hold it against him a whole lot anyway. Defense is a team thing, much moreso than offense.

geeWiz15
12-24-2006, 12:16 AM
Greg Paulus is downright pathetic. I've seen like 3 games of him and all he does is make mistakes and screw up. I remember being stunned that this dude was a Duke starting PG. like, why would Duke settle for such a horrible player? ...

Didn't he lead the ACC in assists last year as a Freshman?
uh didn't he get 5 assists per game on one of the top teams in the country? pardon me if I'm not impressed.

GOBB
12-24-2006, 12:20 PM
Feed me stats, feed me what he did in the game vs Zags (i saw the game obviously if i cheered his injury), feed me he hasnt been 100%. Anything else? Merry xmas and continue giving Greg gifts. No really, go right on.

That doesnt change a thing. I dont hate Duke so whoever came up with that notion is wrong. Read that word in bold to yourself. Let it sting. I dont like Greg Paulus and there is nothing on Earth that can change it. He's Eckstin in MLB the little peoples champ. Cant stand him either. Gets credit for those imaginary stats and intangibles. He breaks wind and it helped rob a HR.

Greg looks like a dork and wants to be a tough guy, a badass when he plays. Sure "he plays football so go figure". Again back with me theme...I dont care. I wanna get into a bar fight and crack him over the head with a beer bottle. :hammerhead:

TheGame414
12-24-2006, 05:39 PM
Don't go overboard, Wang. He's not pathetic. He's not bad. He just isn't very good.

He's Eckstin in MLB the little peoples champ. Cant stand him either. Gets credit for those imaginary stats and intangibles. He breaks wind and it helped rob a HR.I clown on Eckstein all the time because I hate Cardinal fans, but that's not a fair comparison because Eckstein actually is pretty good.

That said...I wouldn't trade my guy Juan Uribe, with a rocket arm and actual power in his bat, for Eckstein.

GOBB
01-06-2007, 01:12 PM
He still blows! :lol: (watching the game now) Coach K yanked him and gave him a dirty stare.

ThaKing
01-06-2007, 01:55 PM
& Dook is playing alot better without him in the game.

ThaKing
01-08-2007, 05:50 PM
KenPom on Greg Paulus
Posted: 1/7/07 2:13:06 pm
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Special Report: We Win!

I should do a companion piece to last season

Jackass18
01-08-2007, 06:13 PM
I'm convinced that he sucks. There comes a time to stop cutting him slack, and the ****tiness of his game against VT is more than enough reason.

MetsPackers
01-08-2007, 09:41 PM
I just checked out nbadraft.net, and I didn't see this guy in the 07 or 08 draft. Is he coming in 09? Or is he even going to be in the league, and if so how high is he projected to be drafted.

bruinballer
01-08-2007, 10:52 PM
i really don't feel one way or the other about paulus.. never really caught my attention either way....

but having said that...

wasn't he the guy that got posterized by the VT player who jumped fully _over_ Paulus for a layup? I mean, that guy's balls just musta missed grazing the top of Paulus' head!! Can't remember the name of the guy, but damn! he got some serious ups :-)
Pretty impressive play... if it _was_ Paulus, it must really suck to be him! :-)

ThaKing
01-08-2007, 11:15 PM
NBA? :roll:

ALBballer
01-09-2007, 12:52 AM
I remember during the McDonald's game the announcers said that people were comparing him to Bob Cousy. I never say Cousy play, but, Paulaus is about as average as a person can get. He's a decent passer, decent shooter, and a nice competitor, but other then that, he's nothing.

Jon Scheyer is a better player, and Nelson is a beast btw.

DatZNasty
01-09-2007, 02:05 PM
I assume everyone saw this

http://espn-i.starwave.com/media/apphoto/NCGB11201062038.jpg
http://img113.imageshack.us/img113/5150/fullgetty72924682sl001vcm4.jpg
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CukB_mjEEbs

and how fitting the whole play started with a Paulus turnover

ThaKing
01-09-2007, 03:01 PM
Did he make that?

IlliniFan
01-09-2007, 04:40 PM
Did he make that?
Yea he did.

Jackass18
01-09-2007, 06:40 PM
Or is he even going to be in the league, and if so how high is he projected to be drafted.

About the 5th or 6th round...

dogman652
01-10-2007, 04:59 PM
damn rite he sucks, good thing i aint a Duke fan

youseela
01-10-2007, 11:24 PM
No offense to you Blue Devils but I can't understand why Duke is even ranked so high..

PAULUSSUCKS!
03-16-2007, 08:58 AM
Can't understand why Paulus was Dukes player of the game. HIS D agains Maynor was aweful!! Turnover city when he touches the ball. It's aggrivating watching him fire up crazy shots also. F THAT.

Cody Penalnd
03-16-2007, 12:18 PM
You all hate Greg Paulus because you all know he is better than all of you will be

STelfair31
03-16-2007, 12:40 PM
Paulus shoulda stuck with football

dak121
03-16-2007, 01:20 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fqPBJ_6y_5A

wang4three
03-16-2007, 01:25 PM
As much as Greg Paulus annoys me, lets give him some credit. Without him, they wouldn't have been in the game last night. Sure he could've shot better from the free throw line, but he played well last night. Demarcus Nelson didn't show up and thats why they lost.

Younggrease
03-16-2007, 01:47 PM
You all hate Greg Paulus because you all know he is better than all of you will be

Why would i want to be Greg Paulus... I dont want to go sorry duke(the place where people go when they cant get into an ivy). Plus he isnt going to the league, so he will be forced to go overseas.

Younggrease
03-16-2007, 01:48 PM
As much as Greg Paulus annoys me, lets give him some credit. Without him, they wouldn't have been in the game last night. Sure he could've shot better from the free throw line, but he played well last night. Demarcus Nelson didn't show up and thats why they lost.

give the refs credit for bailing him out and not calling carries on him as well

AIR_ball_Jordan
03-16-2007, 02:06 PM
Why are people is shocked to know that Greg Paulus sucks

he showed sign of it plenty of times that he makes terrible decision and a bad PG.

Most Memorable Game: Duke's 1st lost last year. Duke down 2. Paulus dribble the ball cross court and chuck a 3 pt shot...despite a wide open J.J Redick.

FireMcFailPlease
03-16-2007, 02:11 PM
Greg Paulus is so awesome!!!:roll: :bowdown:

HaNdLe ThE RoCk
03-16-2007, 05:29 PM
Greg Paulas Flops, Can't Handle The Rock, Turns The Ball Over, Plays No Defense and Talks Junk on The Court. He's Nothing But Annoying.

The Vid Is Hilarious, dude got all his points from bull**** layups and refs bailing him out.

Cody Penland
03-17-2007, 07:27 PM
as Younggrease said, that he would not go to duke, at least he did not go to UNC!

Good Decision on Paulus' part

wang4three
03-17-2007, 08:49 PM
give the refs credit for bailing him out and not calling carries on him as well
Please, you can't even go this route. Duke did not get any special treatment in the game. Anyone who watched would know and anyone saying otherwise is just biased. He doesn't carry more than an other point guard in the NBA. Maynor carried just as much if not more. You really have no justification of any of this.

hoopsfan3409
03-21-2007, 11:44 AM
wow i couldn't agree more i only hate two college basketball players an they are greg paulus and ivory latta. i also cheered when he got hourt.

dukelm10
12-18-2007, 03:33 PM
Why would i want to be Greg Paulus... I dont want to go sorry duke(the place where people go when they cant get into an ivy). Plus he isnt going to the league, so he will be forced to go overseas.

Dude, most of the people at Duke got into and Ivy, you don't know what you're talking about. It's a better school than half the Ivy league, plus those schools don't have legits sports. I must say I'm a bit of a homer, I go to Duke, but I got into Dartmouth, Cornell... a lot of my friends got into Cornell, Brown, Dartmouth, and Penn, and some of the best liberal arts schools like Williams and Smith. My good friend got into Stanford but came to Duke because he grew up in Menlo and wanted to leave for college. So stop hating on the school and Paulus--he is playing better this year now that he isn't injured, and Nolan Smith can step if he starts sucking.

Best schools-- 1. Princeton 2. Harvard 3. Yale 4. Stanford 5. Caltech 6. MIT 7. Penn 8. Duke

With sports-- 1. Stanford 2. Duke 3. Whatever

With basketball- 1. Duke 2. Stanford 3. Whatever

TheGame414
12-19-2007, 05:48 AM
Yeah, but going to Duke means carrying the (well-deserved) stigma of being a douche for the rest of your life. That negates any advantage to that place. Plus, the Cameron Crazies have jumped the shark so far, it's sad to watch those nerds these days. So many student sections do it better that it's not even funny. Don't get me wrong, most student sections are nerds, but we have the Crazies to blame for that.

Sorry, but a full academic ride to the University of New Jersey at Durham wouldn't have drawn me there.

And Greg Paulus...."start" sucking? That implies he ever stopped. I thought there was an outside chance he'd blow up this year like Drew Neitzel. Nope. Yeah, Duke's back to playing high-scoring, fast-paced basketball that's fun to watch, but he's an innocent bystander in it. If they had a real point guard they'd be absolutely, unstoppably lethal. During the Duke/Illinois game, Jay Bilas called the Chester Frazier/Greg Paulus matchup a draw at the point guard spot. The sad part- for Duke, that is; Illinois fans have reconciled themselves with Frazier not being a good point guard- is that Bilas was right.

DukeRico
12-19-2007, 06:30 AM
Ah another bash Duke and it's player thread...how original.

wang4three
12-19-2007, 09:01 AM
Ah another bash Duke and it's player thread...how original.
More like the truth.

TheGame414
12-19-2007, 01:10 PM
Ah another bash Duke and it's player thread...how original.The player in question deserves to be bashed, because he does suck.

As far as the originality of bashing Duke...if your running back is getting six yards every time you hand him the ball, why get fancy? Stick with what works.

What is original is putting a useless, banal post in all bold letters. Stupid, yet unique. Nice job.

HaNdLe ThE RoCk
12-19-2007, 02:54 PM
Greg Paulas deserves to be bashed, He's whack.

BrooklynBalla23
12-19-2007, 06:44 PM
although paulus does turn the ball over way too much for a PG at a major program at Duke...u gotta give the dude a little credit, he is developing. Last year he looked scared as hell out on the court and was afraid to pull up. Don't get me wrong, I believe Paulus was one of the most overrated players ever to come outta high school, but he has hit some big shots this year and has been money from behind the 3 point line

hito da god
12-19-2007, 06:47 PM
**** greg paulus

it was ridiculous when he won mr. basketball in NY

danny green should have taken that award home

BrooklynBalla23
12-19-2007, 06:51 PM
danny green wasn't exactly a superstar either his first 2 years at UNC so maybe the jury is still out on greg paulus, green is finally starting to show some signs of life this season

hito da god
12-19-2007, 07:17 PM
greg's senior HS season was NOTHING like danny green's. danny won MVP at the most prestigious HS holiday tournament in the country that year

Duck Rodgers
12-19-2007, 07:56 PM
I think he does have great court vision....just not the physical tools to do much with it. Like somebody said previously in this thread, my first reaction to seeing Greg at Duke was, "Why did Duke want this guy to play point guard for them?" He totally looks like somebody I would see playing for BYU(my school, no hate, I just know our place in the college basketball world).

i seen hippos
12-19-2007, 10:21 PM
I think he does have great court vision....just not the physical tools to do much with it. Like somebody said previously in this thread, my first reaction to seeing Greg at Duke was, "Why did Duke want this guy to play point guard for them?" He totally looks like somebody I would see playing for BYU(my school, no hate, I just know our place in the college basketball world).

Below MSU, right? Just making sure cause you forgot to post after they beat BYU in Salt Lake.:)

TheGame414
12-19-2007, 11:47 PM
he is developingNo.

Duck Rodgers
12-20-2007, 01:08 AM
Below MSU, right? Just making sure cause you forgot to post after they beat BYU in Salt Lake.:)

Haha....definitely. I don't check the college/high school forum too much....but I'll gladly eat crow.....you guys deserved that win for fighting back from 10 down(or whatever it was). I don't know what to think of MSU in regards to the overall college basketball landscape....but they'll definitely be a tough out in the tourney. Gritty team.

I'm just thankful the game was @ Salt Lake and not on our actual homecourt.....we have the nation's longest winning streak at home.....it could have been in jeopardy.