PDA

View Full Version : Is LeBron already on the decline?

28renyoy
07-07-2011, 01:54 PM
he's 26 and has played 8 seasons. a lot of posters seem to think 09 was his peak and that he will be out of his prime within 2-4 years. Do you agree?

Samurai Swoosh
07-07-2011, 01:55 PM
he's 26 and has played 8 seasons. a lot of posters seem to think 09 was his peak and that he will be out of his prime within 2-4 years. Do you agree?
He was on a severe physical and skillful decline this year. His ball handling fell off big time this season.

DuMa
07-07-2011, 01:57 PM
athletically yes.

kaiiu
07-07-2011, 01:59 PM
his athletic peak was 03-08. His skill peak was from 08-10. Both has declined hugely and I fully expect him to be a role player by 2014

JohnnySic
07-07-2011, 02:00 PM
Uhm, no, its all perception. He will decline in his 30's like everyone else.

Lebron23
07-07-2011, 02:00 PM
He just needs to lose some weight. 250-255 lbs is the ideal weight for LeBron. He doesn't need those muscles if he don't want to play at the post.

chazzy
07-07-2011, 02:01 PM
Past his physical peak but he can prolong his prime by continuing to improve his skills and possibly lose weight. 09 will most likely go down as his peak year though.

28renyoy
07-07-2011, 02:01 PM
Uhm, no, its all perception. He will decline in his 30's like everyone else.

Not really. History shows that players decline after a certain amount of minutes, not age. LeBron has logged a ton of minutes for his age.

Heavincent
07-07-2011, 02:02 PM
athletically yes.

Well his game is pretty much based on his athleticism. He needs to improve his perimeter shooting and develop a low post game if he wants to remain in the NBA's elite for years to come.

28renyoy
07-07-2011, 02:02 PM
He just needs to lose some weight. 250-255 lbs is the ideal weight for LeBron.

well you jumping off his dick would drop 30-35 lbs. at least i'm assuming that's what 12 year old filipinos weigh.

Clutch
07-07-2011, 02:03 PM
Past his physical peak but he can prolong his prime by continuing to improve his skills and possibly lose weight. 09 will most likely go down as his peak year though.
this

kaiiu
07-07-2011, 02:05 PM
well you jumping off his dick would drop 30-35 lbs. at least i'm assuming that's what 12 year old filipinos weigh.
:oldlol: :oldlol: :oldlol:

Lebron23
07-07-2011, 02:06 PM

You are still a jackass. That's why you are one of the most hated posters in this forum. Kobe dropped 19 pounds in the 2007 off season that's why he regained his explosiveness.

http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/showthread.php?t=50120

LeBron looks like he's out of shape this season.

LeFraud James
Well his game is pretty much based on his athleticism. He needs to improve his perimeter shooting and develop a low post game if he wants to remain in the NBA's elite for years to come.

This.

As long as he loses weight and continues working on his game, we won't witness an actual decline for at least a couple of more years.

Nowitzness81
Lebron does not work to get better.

The proof is in the simplest stat of them all. His free throw shooting has not improved since his rookie year.

The guy is a superfreak. Why can't he hit 85-90 percent like great players do instead of 76 percent?

sh0wtime
07-07-2011, 02:08 PM
Haha! We have already yet to see his prime prime.

chazzy
07-07-2011, 02:11 PM
I admire your optimism

28renyoy
07-07-2011, 02:12 PM
I admire your delusion

agreed

jlip
07-07-2011, 02:14 PM
If you consider being 2nd in the league in scoring, being the only wing player to average over 26ppg while shooting over 50% from the field since prime MJ, putting up a routine 26/7/7 season, contributing to his team having by far the best offensive season in franchise history, and also having the 2nd best season overall in its existence all while getting adjusted to a new system and having to share the ball with a player who can be as ball dominant as he is declining, then...Yes. He is.

jjayfive
07-07-2011, 02:17 PM
physically, lebron has plateaued.. he looks a step slower.. maybe he needs to shed a few pounds.. but skill wise, he still has room to grow...

kentatm
07-07-2011, 02:19 PM
You are still a jackass. That's why you are one of the most hated posters in this forum. Kobe dropped 19 pounds in the 2007 off season that's why he regained his explosiveness.

http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/showthread.php?t=50120

LeBron looks like he's out of shape this season.

thats what happens when you just wanna chill like a Bosh

http://uvtblog.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/01/BoshWater.png

IN-PAX-WE-TRUST
07-07-2011, 02:22 PM
Players who don't have a mid range jumper/ post game always decline sooner. Lebron will start his decline in his age 28 season. He will have 30,000 minutes played by then which is always a key indicator of the start of a decline. especially when you factor in his size ( 265 LBS)

greensborohill
07-07-2011, 02:27 PM

This brings up a question I've had recently. Has anyone ever heard stories of LeBron working on his game during the offseason or stories about him having any sort of superstar work ethic? He doesn't seem to have added anything of substance to his game in the past few years. His shot is still hit or miss (pun intended), he only posts up to pass out, his foot work is horrible.

He does all these extracaricular things during the offseason, does he take the game serious enough? He's been getting by on pure physical talent and a average skill level for 8 seasons now.

Kellogs4toniee
07-07-2011, 02:28 PM
Honestly, I think he is still in his prime physically. He just needs to lose like 20 pounds. Once he does that, he'll still be more than capable of being like his 2006-2008 self. The clock is ticking though, if he doesn't do it soon he'll be stuck in his current frame. We'll have a better answer to this by the end of the Big Three's second full season together.

chazzy
07-07-2011, 02:29 PM
This brings up a question I've had recently. Has anyone ever heard stories of LeBron working on his game during the offseason or stories about him having any sort of superstar work ethic? He doesn't seem to have added anything of substance to his game in the past few years. His shot is still hit or miss (pun intended), he only posts up to pass out, his foot work is horrible.

He does all these extracaricular things during the offseason, does he take the game serious enough? He's been getting by on pure physical talent and a average skill level for 8 seasons now.
His jumper has definitely gotten better over the years.

jlip
07-07-2011, 02:35 PM
His jumper has definitely gotten better over the years.

True. Not just better, but drastically better.

kaiiu
07-07-2011, 02:53 PM
His jumper is still shit for a wing player of his caliber. Much improved...but still shit

kaiiu
07-07-2011, 02:55 PM
And please spare me the bullshit stats. Guys like dirk, kobe, melo and durant would kill for the open jumpshots he gets

PowerGlove
07-07-2011, 02:55 PM
:roll: DAMN

PowerGlove
07-07-2011, 02:58 PM
Lebron does not work to get better.

The proof is in the simplest stat of them all. His free throw shooting has not improved since his rookie year.

The guy is a superfreak. Why can't he hit 85-90 percent like great players do instead of 76 percent?
:facepalm

thejumpa
07-07-2011, 02:59 PM
Nope, his body isn't declining and neither is his game. He's still a top player and in 2011 was a better player than he was in 2009/10. He just needs to work on his offense and keep his body in shape...ie drop something like 20-25 to regain the mobility that he had in years past.

ThaSwagg3r
07-07-2011, 03:20 PM
Yes, anyone who doesn't think LeBron declined last season is just kidding themselves.

Honestly the only improvement I see from LeBron last season compared to his Cleveland days was his mid-range jumper, that's it. He regressed in every other area, especially in quickness and athleticism. He didn't finish as well as he did in 09-10, didn't handle the ball as well, he didn't get to the basket as much, and he certainly played much worse defense. It's really a joke that he made the all-defensive team.

Awesome he improved his mid-range jumper....too bad he regressed in every other aspect of the game. .

Anybody that thinks LeBron in 10-11 was even close to the player he was in 09-10 is just kidding themselves. I always laugh when people still think LeBron is the best player in the league. Especially when they bring up his play in Cleveland. Like it's the same... :oldlol:

DeronMillsap
07-07-2011, 03:38 PM
He still hasn't reached his peak, mentally. His b-ball IQ was never that good.

cteach111
07-07-2011, 03:48 PM
Honestly, I think he is still in his prime physically. He just needs to lose like 20 pounds. Once he does that, he'll still be more than capable of being like his 2006-2008 self. The clock is ticking though, if he doesn't do it soon he'll be stuck in his current frame. We'll have a better answer to this by the end of the Big Three's second full season together.

Yeah, agreed. We have to see how the players respond in their 2nd go round.

AMISTILLILL
07-07-2011, 04:10 PM
I think perceptions of his "decline" stem from the change in his game in order to fit the role in Miami. There are still flashes of Cleveland LeBron on this Heat team though, more often than not, you see this new incarnation of the guy who settles for ill-advised jumpers. Chalk it up to getting comfortable on a new team or something. Despite minutes played, the guy is not declining. He's still an athletic freak but, for whatever reason, he doesn't think he needs to emphasize that part of his game anymore. If that's the case, dude needs to work on his perimeter game/work on his prowess as a point forward.

He can go a few routes when he does eventually decline. He can opt to bulk up even more and develop a strong low post game or rely solely on perimeter shooting. When his athleticism finally starts to dwindle away, he'll still have the strength to play bully ball all day or muscle his way through screens and double teams.

I'm not a LeBron fan whatsoever but the dude still has quite a few years playing at a high level left before claims of 'decline' start to ring true. I think there are A LOT of wishful thinkers/haters in this thread. :D

LA_Showtime
07-07-2011, 04:34 PM
I think perceptions of his "decline" stem from the change in his game in order to fit the role in Miami. There are still flashes of Cleveland LeBron on this Heat team though, more often than not, you see this new incarnation of the guy who settles for ill-advised jumpers. Chalk it up to getting comfortable on a new team or something. Despite minutes played, the guy is not declining. He's still an athletic freak but, for whatever reason, he doesn't think he needs to emphasize that part of his game anymore. If that's the case, dude needs to work on his perimeter game/work on his prowess as a point forward.

He can go a few routes when he does eventually decline. He can opt to bulk up even more and develop a strong low post game or rely solely on perimeter shooting. When his athleticism finally starts to dwindle away, he'll still have the strength to play bully ball all day or muscle his way through screens and double teams.

I'm not a LeBron fan whatsoever but the dude still has quite a few years playing at a high level left before claims of 'decline' start to ring true. I think there are A LOT of wishful thinkers/haters in this thread. :D

What? I don't understand why anyone thinks that arguing LeBron has declined athletically is hating. That's an excuse if anything.

He clearly wasn't as explosive, quick, or agile this season.

thejumpa
07-07-2011, 04:42 PM
What? I don't understand why anyone thinks that arguing LeBron has declined athletically is hating. That's an excuse if anything.

Guys who are 26 with NO history of getting hurt or anything serious do not lose their athleticism so soon. I've never heard of it happening. Poor diet/training habits is more like it.

adri41
07-07-2011, 04:43 PM
I think he may be on the downside, but that's not as dramatic as some make it out to be. He's played for 8 years. He isn't fresh and really young anymore. He can still improve his game if he works at it, obviously, but the fact of the matter is 8 seasons and multiple conference/NBA finals appearances will wear on a player. ANY player.

tpols
07-07-2011, 04:43 PM

That could be because of the extra weight he has on his frame. If he loses like 20lbs this offseason and comes in next year just as quick as he was in the past will we still be saying that he declined?

AMISTILLILL
07-07-2011, 04:44 PM

Nevertheless, to automatically assume that's the result of a "decline" is a reach. The guy is acclimating to a new team and adapting to no longer being the clear cut #1 option anymore. I think most people would require more than one season to determine that he's on the decline.

SpLiTViZiOnZ
07-07-2011, 04:49 PM
It's his role with the team. He gets by off superior basketball talent, the likes of which has probably never been seen but he didn't really learn how to play the right way when he was still impressionable. He needs the ball in his hand at all times and just is not the same player off the ball. This is why he appeared to decline with Miami. I guarantee you if he had stayed in Cleveland none of this would have even been discussed. He was primary banana in Cleveland and he is some other kind of banana in Miami.

gilalizard
07-07-2011, 05:00 PM

Are you implying that LeBron23 is Eric Spoelstra?

bluechox2
07-07-2011, 05:05 PM
lebron needs more help

AMISTILLILL
07-07-2011, 05:08 PM
lebron needs more help

http://www.freesamplesfromheaven.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/04/rogaine-080508-lg-735742482.jpg

knickswin
07-07-2011, 05:13 PM
yes. By next year he will be such a cripple that Kevin Durant will unambiguously be the best small forward in the league.

That's the answer you wanted, right?

DMAVS41
07-07-2011, 05:25 PM
Lebron has a couple options. Lose weight and work daily on his three point shooting and improve it enough to continue hanging around the perimeter.......or:

Keep the weight and work daily on a legit low post and wing post game.

I'm in favor of the post game. Lebron doesn't need to be doing much more than that. Let Wade and Bosh run the pick and rolls and let Lebron abuse people on the post.

Its really not that hard. Lebron has the size to dominate on the post. He's one of the best passers in the league. He has great ability to draw contact and finish. His face up jumper on the wing post is already good.

Why on earth did the Heat not do that this year? Wade/Chalmers need to be the primary perimeter players....running pick and pops with Bosh and Haslem. Its perfect. Bosh and Haslem can both nail jumpers off that so it clears lanes for driving. This opens up the corners for shooters and allows lobs, cutting lanes, and offensive board opportunities for James off the weak side.

That is all the Heat need and Lebron will add years to his career if he can develop a post game.

swi7ch
07-07-2011, 05:52 PM
All that weight he's gaining is making him decline.

d.bball.guy
07-07-2011, 06:35 PM
Include the receding hairline to his overall decline.

Colin Cowherd
07-07-2011, 06:44 PM
He has another 6-8 years of prime performance left.

LeFraud James
07-07-2011, 06:53 PM
He has another 6-8 years of prime regular season performance left.

Fixed.

IN-PAX-WE-TRUST
07-07-2011, 06:58 PM
All players over 6'6 experience a decline around 28-29. He's probably got one more year before he begins to show signs of a decline.

Eat Like A Bosh
07-07-2011, 08:02 PM
By watching the games, it does seem like LeBron lost a little athletically wise.
2009 does look like LeBron's peak so far.
But he's so good that even a small decline in athletic ability he's still one of the best.

ShaqAttack3234
07-07-2011, 08:22 PM

I thought this was stupid when people were claiming this several years ago. Depending on what you consider a player's prime, you could argue he entered his prime as early as his 3rd season, at the latest, '08 or '09 was already his prime and I will bet that 2009 will remain his peak.

Nope, his body isn't declining and neither is his game. He's still a top player and in 2011 was a better player than he was in 2009/10. He just needs to work on his offense and keep his body in shape...ie drop something like 20-25 to regain the mobility that he had in years past.

He was not better in 2011 than 2009 and 2010. Lebron was already really bulky by 2009, he hasn't gained 20-25 since then.

Rose
07-07-2011, 08:36 PM
Wait...so...he's not declining, but he's not the best player in the world anymore?:roll: :roll: :roll:

I never knew so many Bronzy fans realized Dwight is the best. :applause:

imdaman99
07-07-2011, 08:37 PM
nah, most likely near his prime right now. he can still get better. i suppose a post game will only mean his speed is slowing down and he is ready to pro-long his career, but everyone wants him to develop a post game.

his hairline has already started declining though. tough luck.

asdf1990
07-07-2011, 09:28 PM
Had Durant already peaked?

Batz
07-07-2011, 09:37 PM
Lebron has a couple options. Lose weight and work daily on his three point shooting and improve it enough to continue hanging around the perimeter.......or:

Keep the weight and work daily on a legit low post and wing post game.

I'm in favor of the post game. Lebron doesn't need to be doing much more than that. Let Wade and Bosh run the pick and rolls and let Lebron abuse people on the post.

Lebron can lose weight, shoot threes and gain a post game altogether. I don't see why it's that complicated as you make it to be.

Anyways, he has lost some athleticism. To me it's very obvious, his leaping ability, speed and overall explosiveness isn't what it used to be like in his Cleveland years. He was just a monster then.

He probably statistically peaked already, but his best basketball seasons are yet to come.

But he's not on the decline. He's getting smarter and more skilled. This year I've seen him develop a solid pullup jumper, or atleast better than what it usually was. And it can only get better from there.

Had Durant already peaked?
Doubt it. He can improve so much, both with his body and his skill sets (especially defensively).

magnax1
07-07-2011, 10:09 PM
I don't think he was really any worse this year the in 10. He played a ton better defense this year and he scored 3 ppg less not because he was a worse scorer, but because he has team mates to share with instead of having 4 spotup shooters and a couple pick and roll guys centered around him the whole game. He was less athletic, but he made up for it with quite a big improvement on his jumpshot, though it's still inconsistent.

Sarcastic
07-07-2011, 10:28 PM
He just needs to lose some weight. 250-255 lbs is the ideal weight for LeBron. He doesn't need those muscles if he don't want to play at the post.

Tell him to stop taking steroids.

Butters
07-08-2011, 12:48 AM
Nope, solid numbers and his best shooting year,there was no decline..at all.
Unless you count the finals,thats about it.

Indian guy
07-08-2011, 12:55 AM
But he's not on the decline.

I don't understand what's so complicated about this. If you are no longer as effective as you used to be, that means you are on the decline. 10-11 LeBron was absolutely a less capable player than 08-10 Lebron, which means he's declining. Doesn't matter if shoots better, because it doesn't help him be as good as he once was.

ShaqAttack3234
07-08-2011, 01:00 AM
I don't think he was really any worse this year the in 10. He played a ton better defense this year and he scored 3 ppg less not because he was a worse scorer, but because he has team mates to share with instead of having 4 spotup shooters and a couple pick and roll guys centered around him the whole game. He was less athletic, but he made up for it with quite a big improvement on his jumpshot, though it's still inconsistent.

Yes, his jumper has definitely improved, but I think he's regressed noticeably as a finisher and in terms of getting to the rim.

I'll agree that this was his best defensive season. So he's made improvements in some areas, but overall, he seems less dominant and to control games less, part of that is probably sharing the ball with 2 other stars, but also his athletic decline.

And it really has nothing to do with numbers since after Miami's 9-8 start, he averaged 28/8/7 on 53% shooting and Miami went 49-16(62 win pace), so I still feel he's as capable as any other player in the league, just not as dominant as he was in 2009 and 2010.

game3524
07-08-2011, 01:03 AM
Lebron is starting to leave his athletic peak, but he hasn't peaked as a player yet if he continues to work on his skills. For example, IMO Kobe Bryant's best overall year was in 2008, when he was 29 and past his athletic peak, but his skills and knowledge(game management, shot selection etc.) was better then it was in previous years.

Batz
07-08-2011, 01:04 AM
I don't understand what's so complicated about this. If you are no longer as effective as you used to be, that means you are on the decline. 10-11 LeBron was absolutely a less capable player than 08-10 Lebron, which means he's declining. Doesn't matter if shoots better, because it doesn't help him be as good as he once was.
10-11 LeBron was not an absolutely less capable player than 08-10 Lebron. He is less capable, but not as worse as you make it out to be. He's not as effective as he used to be, doesn't mean he can't eventually go back to that dominant state, if not eventually excelling it.

Decline is a strong word. Decline is what I would describe as someone completely maxing out their potential, and is now regressing with no hope of becoming better. This is not the case for Lebron. Atleast not to me.

FlashDwyaneWade3
07-08-2011, 01:05 AM
LeBron already on decline? Is LeBron the next T-Mac?

Indian guy
07-08-2011, 01:10 AM
He is less capable, but not as worse as you make it out to be.

I'd say 10-11 LeBron was about 85-90% the player he was the last 2 seasons. 10-15% is a pretty significant decline I'd say.

He's not as effective as he used to be, doesn't mean he can't eventually go back to that dominant state

The only way he's returning to his old state is if his old body returns, and that's not happening. Thus, he's on the decline - not as good as before, and little to suggest that will change.

game3524
07-08-2011, 01:13 AM
I'd say 10-11 LeBron was about 85-90% the player he was the last 2 seasons. 10-15% is a pretty significant decline I'd say.

The only way he's returning to his old state is if his old body returns, and that's not happening. Thus, he's on the decline - not as good as before, and little to suggest that will change.

Just because Bron's body isn't what it was when he was 22-23 years old doesn't mean he is declining as a basketball player. Jordan was most likely less athletic in 1991 then he was in 1986 or 87, but there is no doubt he was a better player.

cteach111
07-08-2011, 01:30 AM
Just because Bron's body isn't what it was when he was 22-23 years old doesn't mean he is declining as a basketball player. Jordan was most likely less athletic in 1991 then he was in 1986 or 87, but there is no doubt he was a better player.

I guess it depends on how effective he will be against tough defenses. Contrary to popular belief, I thought he was pretty good against Boston & Chicago, but not absurdly great. His athleticism was his MO to carve up defenses. In the past, he used his size, speed, and power to do this to great effect. I'm not saying he didn't use those factors this year, but definitely not to the same degree.

A player like Wade can still use his quickness, ability to change directions, craftiness, etc. to break down defenses. Lebron this year just wasn't as effective because he was somewhat slower off the first step and couldn't beat his man off the dribble at times.

My question is if it's a weight problem. Did they work as hard as they could have last summer or were they just enjoying the spotlight? We'll find out whenever the next season rolls around.

If Lebron really did lose a step though, that hurts his game more than it does a guy like Wade or even A.I.

Rowe
07-08-2011, 01:35 AM
LeBron already on decline? Is LeBron the next T-Mac?

T-Mac was done after suffering back injuries that led other injuries.

Same thing that happened to Larry Bird, except Bird hung it up.

24r2
07-08-2011, 01:36 AM

this

Samurai Swoosh
07-08-2011, 01:53 AM
OMG @ these people not realizing LeBron on the NOTICEABLE decline, without competent enough skills to counter act the extreme loss of athleticism. I mean, this year even his ball handling has suffered greatly.

Thom.Yorke
07-08-2011, 01:54 AM
yea he is on the decline. 08-10' lebron was a better player and faster

Samurai Swoosh
07-08-2011, 01:54 AM
Nope, his body isn't declining

OMG, bro ...

This was BEYOND obvious.

Butters
07-08-2011, 02:04 AM

His numbers are pretty much the same,i don't get what people are basing this off.Does he look uglier now?Sure,but his overall impact has not changed.

Samurai Swoosh
07-08-2011, 02:06 AM
His numbers are pretty much the same,i don't get what people are basing this off.Does he look uglier now?Sure,but his overall impact has not changed.
Another one that doesn't get it.

It goes beyond production on the surface.

It's seeing his game and how he doesn't have an extra gear to dominate at an even higher capacity due to his limited abilities.

ThaSwagg3r
07-08-2011, 02:09 AM
SMH....If it weren't for stats we wouldn't be debating whether or not LeBron was declining. Anybody that watched LeBron last season would know he is.

LeBron James is going to be the Wilt Chamberlain of this era. Some stat padding loser that a bunch of fan boys are going to argue for with a bunch of stats despite the consistent losing.

Samurai Swoosh
07-08-2011, 02:11 AM
SMH....If it weren't for stats we wouldn't be debating whether or not LeBron was declining. Anybody that watched LeBron last season would know he is.

LeBron James is going to be the Wilt Chamberlain of this era. Some stat padding loser that a bunch of fan boys are going to argue for with a bunch of stats despite the consistent losing.
:pimp:

cteach111
07-08-2011, 02:36 AM
Some stat padding loser that a bunch of fan boys are going to argue for with a bunch of stats despite the consistent losing.

This is the part that gets to me. Lebron's character won't quite be tested if he were in another situation. When he has a guy like Wade, he can sweep some of those tests under the rug and still win. I was also disappointed with Wade in the same sense.

That's part of what bothered me about this whole Miami fiasco anyways.

magnax1
07-08-2011, 02:43 AM
Yes, his jumper has definitely improved, but I think he's regressed noticeably as a finisher and in terms of getting to the rim.

I'll agree that this was his best defensive season. So he's made improvements in some areas, but overall, he seems less dominant and to control games less, part of that is probably sharing the ball with 2 other stars, but also his athletic decline.

And it really has nothing to do with numbers since after Miami's 9-8 start, he averaged 28/8/7 on 53% shooting and Miami went 49-16(62 win pace), so I still feel he's as capable as any other player in the league, just not as dominant as he was in 2009 and 2010.
Yeah, he has regressed a tiny bit in terms of being able to get inside, but like I said I think his jumper made up for it, and I think he'd be better then anyone since Jordan if he was able to be consistent with it from game to game. That was one of the biggest reasons for his poor final performance. He just wasn't hitting the same shots as in the conference finals.
But really, I don't think he played any worse then he did in 09/10. I just think that his inability to do anything without the ball on offense made him worse now that he's got good team mates.

WeGetRing2012
07-08-2011, 02:45 AM
Players who don't have a mid range jumper/ post game always decline sooner. Lebron will start his decline in his age 28 season. He will have 30,000 minutes played by then which is always a key indicator of the start of a decline. especially when you factor in his size ( 265 LBS)

This.

ThaSwagg3r
07-08-2011, 02:50 AM

Not even close. LeBron was much better defensively in 08-09. No way does LeBron in 08-09 get torched by both Jason Terry and Shawn Marion. The only improvement he made was his mid-range jumper, that's about it.

EnoughSaid
07-08-2011, 02:54 AM
I really hope LeBron comes back next season and just destroys everyone, getting the MVP and cruising his way to a ring.

thejumpa
07-08-2011, 02:55 AM

OMG, bro ...

This was BEYOND obvious.

Swoosh...we've been over this. Do you REALLY think that age 26 LeBron has declined? As in, his age/miles have caught up to him and his freakish athleticism is starting to leave him. I don't know about you, but I've never heard of anyone so young without any major injuries slowing down so quickly. It's ridiculous. I really do believe that his off court activities have caught up to him. Moving to Miami, hosting parties, being in the spotlight 24/7...dude has 1 foot in the NBA and 1 foot out. He's got by on his natural talent for so long that he probably forgot how to properly train and stay fit:oldlol: Seriously though, this happens to a lot of guys. Even if you are born with perfect genetics, you still have to make sure your diet, workout regimen, etc... is on point.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XNGpPBSfnxU&feature=related

Game 2 2011 Finals. That's vintage LeBron right there. 1 footed takeoff, head at the rim throw down. That's him with some weight on him. Imagine if he were leaner and lighter therefore having better mobility and explosiveness.

Edit: Just want to say that I saw this coming. Right after LeBron announced he was signing with Miami, there were reports that he came into his bball camp and MIA training camp leaner than he was in 2009-10. Even I believed it when I saw him. That's obviously not the case so what gives? Sounds like his camp was trying to throw people off because he knew he was a little heavier and slower. I also find it odd that no analysts ever mention it. Chuck, Kenny, CWebb, McHale...no one. Obviously it's different when you have actually played the game and are watching the guy in real life, but still...they have the same eyes we do.

Indian guy
07-08-2011, 03:07 AM
Do you REALLY think that age 26 LeBron has declined?

This is the problem. LeBron's age is so ingrained in people's brains that they're completely incapable of evaluating what's actually happening on the court.

Samurai Swoosh
07-08-2011, 03:07 AM
Swoosh...we've been over this.
I know, bro ... but it's obvious. Something is wrong, or he really has declined. Whether it's wear and tear of all those minutes, and the fast style he plays at the weight he's been at the past 3 - 4 years ... or if it's HGH related, or partying, or weight issue. The point is he visibly didn't look the same athlete he once was, man. I mean c'mon, he couldn't get by Omas Asik off the dribble. And he's 26.

:oldlol:

You also have to take into account not his age, but years he's been in the league.

8 years is a long time. In his 8th season, MJ finished winning his 2nd ring. This 1992 we're talking about.

By 1993 his 9th season was the first year we started to see a slight decline in athleticism. LeBron is getting up there in NBA years. It's not just his age when he came out in the NBA on got heavy minutes as an 18 year old.

thejumpa
07-08-2011, 03:09 AM
This is the problem. LeBron's age is so ingrained in people's mind that they're completely incapable of evaluating what's actually happening on the court.

Get real. I've been following the dude since 02 and watched a shitload of Heat games this year. I can clearly see that he's slower than he was in 2009 or 2010. I'm just saying....decline is a strong word and I don't buy it.

Haymaker
07-08-2011, 03:13 AM
athletically yes. Since his success depends greatly on his athleticism, I think it's safe to say that he's on the decline.

Rowe
07-08-2011, 03:34 AM
I know, bro ... but it's obvious. Something is wrong, or he really has declined. Whether it's wear and tear of all those minutes, and the fast style he plays at the weight he's been at the past 3 - 4 years ... or if it's HGH related, or partying, or weight issue. The point is he visibly didn't look the same athlete he once was, man. I mean c'mon, he couldn't get by Omas Asik off the dribble. And he's 26.

At first I thought it was a weight issue, but now I'm starting to think its that hes is just lost his 1 step explosiveness. It was bound to happen with age + wear & tear but he no longer is the type of player who can consistently get to the basket past any defender. I cant even think of any play in the 2nd half of the season when he dunked on anyone, each time he got to the basket he adjusted for a layup. Thats a clear sign its gone. All he does now is lowers his shoulder and attempts to bulldozes his way past people, & you're not beating anyone off the dribble playing bully ball.

In terms of his overall athleticism, I think hes still in his prime. He jumps the passing lanes and still has tremendous speed running the court.

But that 1 step where he explodes to the basket is gone. Today he isnt anywhere in the same league with Derrick Rose, Blake Griffin, Shannon Brown, & Jermaine Taylor.

Rowe
07-08-2011, 03:41 AM
Get real. I've been following the dude since 02 and watched a shitload of Heat games this year. I can clearly see that he's slower than he was in 2009 or 2010. I'm just saying....decline is a strong word and I don't buy it.

Hes not declining at all. I think people are just mentioning a physical decline, but to be honest a declining LeBron James is still a better athlete than 98% of current NBA players. He just looks mortal to us now.

thejumpa
07-08-2011, 04:12 AM

You also have to take into account not his age, but years he's been in the league.

8 years is a long time. In his 8th season, MJ finished winning his 2nd ring. This 1992 we're talking about.

By 1993 his 9th season was the first year we started to see a slight decline in athleticism. LeBron is getting up there in NBA years. It's not just his age when he came out in the NBA on got heavy minutes as an 18 year old.

To be fair....Asik is pretty athletic on his own. He should have been able to get past him easily, but let's not act like Asik isn't super lean and athletic...because he is.

If he really is declining athletically, then it could be a good thing. It could force him to work on other aspects of his game and that will in turn make him a better player and still highly effective. I mean, this year he wasn't himself athletically yet he still arguably the best player in the game and was in the MVP race. He's got 4-5 years before we start talking about a real decline.

thejumpa
07-08-2011, 04:15 AM
Hes not declining at all. I think people are just mentioning a physical decline, but to be honest a declining LeBron James is still a better athlete than 98% of current NBA players. He just looks mortal to us now.

Agreed. The man was born with better than elite genes. I still say he needs to lose 20 pounds or so.

z14h
07-08-2011, 04:15 AM
Yes.

ABfor3
07-08-2011, 04:20 AM
No, but his hairline is!

squitedesaibe
07-08-2011, 04:20 AM
Lebron does not work to get better. The proof is in the simplest stat of them all. His free throw shooting has not improved since his rookie year. The guy is a superfreak. Why can't he hit 85-90 percent like great players do instead of 76 percent?

Very useful message
I apologise, but, in my opinion, you are mistaken. I suggest it to discuss. Write to me in PM, we will communicate.
by bet365 italia (http://bet365-new.blogspot.com/)

The Iron Fist
07-08-2011, 04:37 AM

Continue to improve?

You mean he has to start to improve his skills first.

Butters
07-08-2011, 01:32 PM
Oh ok,so people are saying he has declined because of what his game looks like.Not as athletic and doesn't finish at the rim like he use to ect.

I could see the point if his productivity went down,but it hasn't.
Perhaps "decline" is just the wrong word to use.

LA_Showtime
07-08-2011, 03:07 PM
I actually think LeBron does put in the work. I think he's actively tried to improve his post game, foot work, etc. The problem is that despite his high basketball IQ, he's just not the type of guy who can study something and automatically understand the ins and outs of it. He's got to get help from either a coach or a former NBA player, and they've got to explain to him exactly how it works. It's like that guy in college who just memorizes everything but doesn't know how to apply it.

chazzy
07-08-2011, 03:13 PM
Continue to improve?

You mean he has to start to improve his skills first.
Nah, look at his jumper now compared to 3-4 years ago. Definitely got a lot better and he's more reliant on it than ever.

Soothing Layup
07-08-2011, 03:15 PM
Yes, that ***** is fat as ****.

KenneBell
07-08-2011, 03:17 PM

I honestly he might fall off a bit quicker than even Kobe and Garnett did. Kobe and KG were falling off at 30-31. Good thing for Bron that he's a better athlete than both to begin with.

He's played more minutes at his age than any other player in modern NBA history (80-present). Think about that people...

kaiiu
07-08-2011, 03:20 PM
Lebrick needs to retire already. The league will be better without him

brownmamba00
07-08-2011, 04:10 PM
Lebrick needs to retire already. The league will be better without him

Marlo Stanfield
07-09-2011, 06:38 AM

:roll:

Hoopz2332
02-28-2013, 03:04 AM
:coleman:

alleykat
02-28-2013, 03:07 AM
Dude hasn't posted here in awhile

Lebron23
02-28-2013, 03:21 AM

http://i.cdn.turner.com/si/multimedia/photo_gallery/1106/nba-finals-mvp/images/lebron-james-gallery.jpg

Kingwillball
02-28-2013, 03:26 AM
10-11 LeBron was not an absolutely less capable player than 08-10 Lebron. He is less capable, but not as worse as you make it out to be. He's not as effective as he used to be, doesn't mean he can't eventually go back to that dominant state, if not eventually excelling it.

Decline is a strong word. Decline is what I would describe as someone completely maxing out their potential, and is now regressing with no hope of becoming better. This is not the case for Lebron. Atleast not to me.

Great post, way to not overreact like MOST on Ish..

DuMa
02-28-2013, 03:36 AM
http://cdn2.mocksession.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/07/LEBRON-DURANT-STAR.gif

DuMa
02-28-2013, 03:40 AM
http://i1214.photobucket.com/albums/cc489/niokulis/Laugh.gif

shallehalle
02-28-2013, 03:58 AM
:roll: :roll: :roll: