PDA

View Full Version : Teams that have NEVER won an NBA Championship

bagelred
07-14-2011, 08:47 AM
The list is pretty.....pretty.....pretty....pretty.....pretty long.

Depending on the threshold you want to use, here is the list:

Orlando Magic
Indiana Pacers
Charlotte Bobcats
New Jersey Nets
Toronto Raptors
Cleveland Cavaliers
Denver Nuggets
New Orleans Hornets
Memphis Grizzlies
Phoenix Suns
Utah Jazz
Los Angeles Clippers
Minnesota Timberwolves
Sacramento Kings - (only won as the Rochester Royals)
Oklahoma City Thunder - (only won as the Seattle Supersonics)
Atlanta Hawks - (have not won since move to Atlanta)
Washington Wizards - (have only won as the "Bullets")

So that's 13 - 17 teams with no championship.

And the Dallas Mavericks just came off this list this year.

NBA Champions - a very exclusive club.:pimp:

All Net
07-14-2011, 08:59 AM
Makes us in L.A take things for granted sometimes....

bagelred
07-14-2011, 09:03 AM
And of the teams on the that list, how many have a realistic chance of winning a championship this coming season?

Just the Oklahoma City Thunder....maybe the Magic.

niko
07-14-2011, 09:04 AM
And of the teams on the that list, how many have a realistic chance of winning a championship this coming season?

Just the Oklahoma City Thunder....maybe the Magic.
:no: None of them do. There is no season.

jbryan1984
07-14-2011, 09:08 AM
And a lot of those teams have been to the Finals to. Some multiple times.

bagelred
07-14-2011, 09:10 AM
:no: None of them do. There is no season.

I'm in denial. :cheers:

wang4three
07-14-2011, 09:15 AM
Only like 9 different franchises have won the title since 1980. It's pretty egregious.

QuebecBaller
07-14-2011, 09:17 AM
Indiana Pacers
New Jersey Nets
Cleveland Cavaliers
Denver Nuggets
Phoenix Suns
Utah Jazz
Los Angeles Clippers

Those teams are in the league for so long... it's a shame they haven't won one championship at least

Joey Zaza
07-14-2011, 09:37 AM
Utah and Phx are the only 2 teams on that list (maybe indy) that surprise me. They are teams that are historically good. The rest of the teams have had some upswings but, really, are not what I'd call superior frnahcises.

+ you gotta take Washington off that list. Same team. Same city. Its just a different name.

niko
07-14-2011, 09:43 AM
Only like 9 different franchises have won the title since 1980. It's pretty egregious.
NJ will never ever ever win a title. i'm 100% sure of that. :D (If Brooklyn wins a title does NJ come off the list?)

DMAVS41
07-14-2011, 10:19 AM

Since 1980

Lakers - 10
Celtics - 4
Bulls - 6
Pistons - 3
Rockets - 2
Spurs - 4
Sixers - 1
Heat - 1
Mavericks - 1

The Lakers/Celtics/Bulls/Pistons/Spurs make up 84% of the titles since 1980. So 5 teams have won 27 of the last 32 titles.

Its the hardest title to win in all of sports.

All Net
07-14-2011, 10:24 AM
Since 1980

Lakers - 10
Celtics - 4
Bulls - 6
Pistons - 3
Rockets - 2
Spurs - 4
Sixers - 1
Heat - 1

Mavericks - 1

The Lakers/Celtics/Bulls/Pistons/Spurs make up 84% of the titles since 1980. So 5 teams have won 27 of the last 32 titles.

Since the 90's the championships have been dominated by the lakers and spurs. With only Miami, celtics and pistons winning since and now the mavs. Quite amazing really.

Which is why lakers not getting their 2nd 3peat shouldn't be a disgrace. For lakers to of gotten two 3 peats since 2000 which would of been so rare for sports these days.

bluechox2
07-14-2011, 10:27 AM
:lol at them

Sarcastic
07-14-2011, 11:01 AM
If you look further into it, it's more about which teams were lucky enough to have the stars that were capable of winning. Lakers were lucky to have Magic/Kareem and Shaq/Kobe. Bulls were lucky to have Jordan. Spurs were lucky to have Duncan. All those players could have won in any city, just the ping pong ball landed the right way for them.

drizzy0503
07-14-2011, 11:42 AM
I'm in denial. :cheers:
As am I, my friend.

get these NETS
07-14-2011, 12:06 PM
If you look further into it, it's more about which teams were lucky enough to have the stars that were capable of winning. Lakers were lucky to have Magic/Kareem and Shaq/Kobe. Bulls were lucky to have Jordan. Spurs were lucky to have Duncan. All those players could have won in any city, just the ping pong ball landed the right way for them.

Lakers acquired Kareem and Shaq...and traded to get Kobe..they were lucky enough to have gotten the number one pick the year Magic was drafted.

The other moves were result of good GM..not luck

Spurs WERE lucky to get Duncan.....turned the franchise around ...from good seasons....to rings

Chi town struck gold with drafting Jordan...

PowerGlove
07-14-2011, 02:50 PM
The list is pretty.....pretty.....pretty....pretty.....pretty long.

Depending on the threshold you want to use, here is the list:

Orlando Magic
Indiana Pacers
Charlotte Bobcats
New Jersey Nets
Toronto Raptors
Cleveland Cavaliers
Denver Nuggets
New Orleans Hornets
Memphis Grizzlies
Phoenix Suns
Utah Jazz
Los Angeles Clippers
Minnesota Timberwolves
Sacramento Kings - (only won as the Rochester Royals)
Oklahoma City Thunder - (only won as the Seattle Supersonics)
Atlanta Hawks - (have not won since move to Atlanta)

So that's 13 - 17 teams with no championship.

And the Dallas Mavericks just came off this list this year.

NBA Champions - a very exclusive club.:pimp:

Those still count. GTFO. If you want to play that, then give minnesota the lakers titles from Mikan's days.

Bone Machine
07-14-2011, 03:08 PM

Same city and same franchise. It was just a name change. We have a championship, whether you like it or not.

QuebecBaller
07-14-2011, 03:11 PM
Those still count. GTFO. If you want to play that, then give minnesota the lakers titles from Mikan's days.
:lol

:applause: :applause:

Nowitzness81
07-14-2011, 03:11 PM
Miami Heat

DuMa
07-14-2011, 03:12 PM
NBA has always been top heavy. its easy to see why because basketball is super-star driven.

bagelred
07-14-2011, 03:34 PM

Calm down. That's why there is information in parenthesis.

bagelred
07-14-2011, 03:36 PM
Same city and same franchise. It was just a name change. We have a championship, whether you like it or not.

Who are these "Bullets" you speak of? :confusedshrug:

I've never heard the phrase "Washington Wizards, NBA Champions". :lol

jlip
07-14-2011, 03:42 PM
Since 1980

Lakers - 10
Celtics - 4
Bulls - 6
Pistons - 3
Rockets - 2
Spurs - 4
Sixers - 1
Heat - 1
Mavericks - 1

Kind of makes this whole, "Superstars joining each other takes away from the competitiveness of the league" mantra sound like meaningless babble. Other than the 70's, the NBA has always been top heavy with only a few elites being legitimate title contenders.

jbryan1984
07-14-2011, 06:16 PM
Only reason Spurs got Duncan was cause Robinson was hurt almost the entire year before. Should had been the Grizzlies getting him really as they had the worst record. But if you go by the lotto, Philly would of had the pick. Can you imagine Iverson and Duncan? Tim Duncan truly was a miracle for the Spurs. David Robinson said something like that at his HOF induction.

DeronMillsap
07-14-2011, 06:19 PM
The Jazz will win one within the next 5 or 6 years.

I've been supporting this team since '98. It's gotta end soon.

niko
07-14-2011, 06:21 PM
The Jazz will win one within the next 5 or 6 years.

I've been supporting this team since '98. It's gotta end soon.
the title drought or your support?

SCdac
07-14-2011, 06:51 PM
Yeah, not alot of teams have actually won a championship... But very many of them have had a chance (IE. made it to the Finals)... Since about 1995, nearly half the teams in the league have made it to the Finals (Nets, Knicks, Pacers, Magic, etc)

DeronMillsap
07-14-2011, 07:02 PM
the title drought or your support?
drought

if I stop supporting them i might as well stop watching the NBA.

Stuckey
07-14-2011, 07:35 PM
drought

if I stop supporting them i might as well stop watching the NBA.

all that black skin must hurt your eyes right?

joshwake
07-14-2011, 07:38 PM
Makes us in L.A take things for granted sometimes....
more like it makes us realize how jacked up the NBA is. More than anything, I hope that we can start to even the playing field coming out of this lockout.

joshwake
07-14-2011, 07:50 PM
Lakers acquired Kareem and Shaq...and traded to get Kobe..they were lucky enough to have gotten the number one pick the year Magic was drafted.

The other moves were result of good GM..not luck

Spurs WERE lucky to get Duncan.....turned the franchise around ...from good seasons....to rings

Chi town struck gold with drafting Jordan...
What is all this "luck" business being tossed around in this thread? If luck was a significant factor we wouldn't see so few teams winning championships. And SA was only slightly "lucky" to draft Duncan. When robinsion got hurt they basically sandbagged the season and pop played the bench/rookies. they knew exactly what they were doing.

Sure you can agrue that teams get "lucky" by drafting a player, but didn't Utah "strike gold" in drafting Stockton and Malone in consecutive seasons with picks outside of the top 10??? The problem was, it didn't matter because the best free agent they could lure during the entire stockton/malone era was an aged Hornaceck with shot knees. Ask yourself what would have happened if stockton/malone were drafted by the Celtics or Lakers

Sadly, the main factors are being a big market team and/or having a championship pedigree.