PDA

View Full Version : Heat to chase Sam Dalembert, Shane Battier

insidehoops
07-17-2011, 09:47 AM
Those are two target players for Miami.

More details: http://www.insidehoops.com/blog/?p=8014

Rnbizzle
07-17-2011, 09:50 AM
I don't really get why they would want Battier, yeah of course he's a solid defender but with Lebron playing 42~ minutes a game being a very solid defender himself aswell, Wade and Bosh to play 40 a game.. Haslem and Miller trying to get theirs.. Where does he fit in?

Seems to me they just need a center..

QuebecBaller
07-17-2011, 09:57 AM
Dalembert will ask for more than MLE... I'm not sure the Heat can afford him

Blue&Orange
07-17-2011, 10:00 AM
No chance, unless the Heat offer them a 15 year contract.

LastEpisode
07-17-2011, 10:02 AM
Of course they'll be needing a solid SF once they trade LeBron..

ICanDunk
07-17-2011, 10:09 AM
I don't really get why they would want Battier, yeah of course he's a solid defender but with Lebron playing 42~ minutes a game being a very solid defender himself aswell, Wade and Bosh to play 40 a game.. Haslem and Miller trying to get theirs.. Where does he fit in?

They need a small forward who acts like a veteran to start. Maybe he can teach Lebron some things too.

LJJ
07-17-2011, 10:27 AM

He can ask for it, but who will give it to him?

Kings- "Would like to keep him", but have Cousins obviously
Pacers - Hibbert is their man
Wizards - Will have around 7-8 million. Also have McGee
Clippers - Jordan/Kaman, also their clearly need a SF.
Nets - Brook Lopez is their guy, they need their space to sign a 2nd option type guy at least in order to keep DWill.
Thunder - Perkins/Ibaka etc
Raptors - Bargnani/Valanciunas etc

Basically the only teams in a position to make an offer exceeding the MLE to Dalembert are the Kings, the Wizards and the Pacers. These teams all have legitimate starting C's better than Dalembert. They also all are young teams who are focused on development. Will they break the bank to sign a 30yo starting center to a 24+ million dollar deal?

Not going to happen.

ImmortalD24
07-17-2011, 10:54 AM
Battier showed us vs the Spurs (and Manu in particular) that he still has something left. Every team could use a glue guy like him.

Dalembert.. he's ok I guess. A bit of a bonehead at times though.

Rake2204
07-17-2011, 10:55 AM
I am hopeful that Shane Battier does not join the dark side. I am a fan of his.

Jasper
07-17-2011, 11:05 AM
Shane is not going to the Heat ... MemPh hada great season , and with a playoff appearance he retires as a Grizz

Hammertime
07-17-2011, 11:18 AM
Basically the only teams in a position to make an offer exceeding the MLE to Dalembert are the Kings, the Wizards and the Pacers. These teams all have legitimate starting C's better than Dalembert. They also all are young teams who are focused on development. Will they break the bank to sign a 30yo starting center to a 24+ million dollar deal?

Not going to happen.

Sign and trade, though?

HylianNightmare
07-17-2011, 01:25 PM
hopefully they don't get either, i think both guys could get allot more $$$ somewhere else

LJJ
07-17-2011, 01:50 PM
Sign and trade, though?

Possibly, but even then what team is looking into his services at those prices? I'm guessing the Miami, Portland, Boston and maybe SA.

Bottom line is that I'm thinking Dalembert will have to settle for the MLE.

game3524
07-17-2011, 01:53 PM
I can tell you from first hand exp. that Sammy is a bum.....but he is still a better rebounder then Anthony.

Rose
07-17-2011, 01:56 PM
I think Battier heads to Boston.

And Dalembert sucks anyways.:oldlol:

All Net
07-17-2011, 01:57 PM
I doubt Sammy D settles for the MLE

This is his last big payday.

bagelred
07-17-2011, 02:05 PM
Kings have said they want to keep him and have plenty of cap space to do it. Wouldn't be surprised if he stays in Sactown. He's going to get more than the MLE. If there is an MLE.

AMISTILLILL
07-17-2011, 04:48 PM
Options are wide open for Dalembert. He can get more than the MLE AND have a chance to a) contend for a title next season and b) eventually be a part of a fruitful rebuild situation if he signed with Boston. Maloofs state they're motivated to keep him on board but the Kings are still years away from righting the ship. I doubt he wants to be mired in obscurity with a team whose future is completely up in the air right now. If he can get paid and go to a contender, rest assured he'll jump at the chance.

No way he winds up in Miami. No way whatsoever. Battier, maybe.

bdreason
07-17-2011, 04:55 PM
Heat can't afford either player.

Theoo's Daddy
07-17-2011, 05:36 PM
This will be me if we somehow get both of them

http://i51.tinypic.com/2q9h2co.jpg

Our defense shoots right through the roof with both onboard..

GOBB
07-17-2011, 05:59 PM
To the poster who questions why battier? Why play bron that many minutes? You can easily reduce bron mpg to 35. And that's just in general not so much due to battier.

I doubt Sammy D settles for the MLE

This is his last big payday.

Why didnt Ron Artest chase his last big payday instead of taking the MLE?

Underballer
07-17-2011, 06:32 PM
starface :lol

Theoo's Daddy
07-17-2011, 06:34 PM
starface :lol

http://images4.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20100922161345/snicket/images/6/65/Starface.gif

NugzHeat3
07-17-2011, 06:52 PM

LeBron's minutes need to be cut down. There is no need for him to play around 42 mpg. That will just exhaust him come playoff time and his groupies will just hang on to that as an excuse if he fails once again.

Battier would be a great fit but I don't expect us to sign him.

Sammy D is a very good possibility granted he's willing to sign for the MLE and I don't see why he would be opposed to signing here. He has the IQ of a rock but either way he's an upgrade over Joel.

He can at least finish plays and rebound at a decent level while Joel has bricks for hands and no understanding of defensive positioning.

AMISTILLILL
07-17-2011, 06:54 PM
LeBron's minutes need to be cut down. There is no need for him to play around 42 mpg. That will just exhaust him come playoff time and his groupies will just hang on to that as an excuse if he fails once again.

Battier would be a great fit but I don't expect us to sign him.

Sammy D is a very good possibility granted he's willing to sign for the MLE and I don't see why he would be opposed to signing here. He has the IQ of a rock but either way he's an upgrade over Joel.

He can at least finish plays and rebound at a decent level while Joel has bricks for hands and no understanding of defensive positioning.

You're probably the only person who thinks he'd be willing to sign for the MLE, and who doesn't see why he wouldn't sign there.

And you're a Heat fan, so of course you'd think those things.

GiveItToBurrito
07-17-2011, 06:56 PM
Dalembert would probably help them the most, I don't see how Battier is that much better than Jones/Miller, especially when you consider that he'd only get at most 20 minutes in the playoffs since Lebron and Wade will be playing 40+.

If I'm Miami, I'd look into trading Miller or Jones for Randy Foye. He can create a bit off the dribble, shoot, defend reasonably well, and would give them some production at the 1 and work as a reasonable sixth man and basically be their Eddie House or Shannon Brown.

Theoo's Daddy
07-17-2011, 07:20 PM
Dalembert would probably help them the most, I don't see how Battier is that much better than Jones/Miller, especially when you consider that he'd only get at most 20 minutes in the playoffs since Lebron and Wade will be playing 40+.

If I'm Miami, I'd look into trading Miller or Jones for Randy Foye. He can create a bit off the dribble, shoot, defend reasonably well, and would give them some production at the 1 and work as a reasonable sixth man and basically be their Eddie House or Shannon Brown.

dude, eddie house opted in on his contract. I was hard on mike miller during the season, but i don't want him gone now. His rebounding and hustle plays are key. I remember when lebron/bosh/wade were injured last season, we didn't have bodies for a long stretch, forced lebron/wade/bosh to play injured just to be competitive. Battier can help out in situations like this.

PJR
07-17-2011, 07:40 PM
If a similiar version of the Mid Level remains in the next CBA, Miami has a good shot at signing Dalembert. I'm pretty sure he lives in South Florida in the off-season as well.

Bigsmoke
07-17-2011, 10:34 PM
Sam Dalembert can rebound and block shots and he's not 40 years old like the other centers that the Heat has.... GREAT FIT.

Shane is only good for cutting Lebron's minutes but he would be a shit like defense and leadership which is always good. They need to trade Mike Miller but he was playing hurt last year so maybe he might starting hittting mad shots next year or whatever.

Bigsmoke
07-17-2011, 10:41 PM

maybe thats the reason why. to cut Lebron's minutes :confusedshrug:

Lebron did average like 45MPG in the playoffs

Jimmy2k8
11-30-2011, 11:23 AM
So I assume that the Heat are no longer chasing Battier?

All Net
11-30-2011, 12:02 PM
So I assume that the Heat are no longer chasing Battier?

Think they want both.

Kurosawa0
11-30-2011, 12:06 PM
I almost feel like Miami might end up with Kwame Brown. It really depends on what they think about Mike Miller's health going forward. If he's healthy, Miller is a great fit with Miami and I wouldn't throw him aside just for Dalembert.

HurricaneKid
11-30-2011, 12:27 PM
Why don't people look into what is actually possible before posting this stuff?

The new CBA was put into effect to stop teams like Miami from getting everyone. Its especially punitive to them. There is no MLE for luxury tax teams. So their max MLE is ~3M. They can amnesty Miller and get a full MLE of 5M. But it makes no sense to me to do that and other reports scoff at such a notion. So they have a 3M salary to offer. After that they will only be able to offer the league min.

Dalembert has taken it upon himself to help the Haiti recovery and he knows what millions of dollars can do for his country. Its possible he doesn't get a lot of big offers but its tough to imagine someone doesn't pony up a lot more than that. Even if it does fly, it leaves zero above the league min for Battier. Which seems highly unlikely to be sufficient. I think this is more of an either/or situation.

And what happens if the Lakers get Howard? Do you trust Dalembert/Anthony/Bosh to contend with Pau and Howard? And thats a best case scenario, getting Dalembert.

TylerOO
11-30-2011, 12:39 PM
They are getting Sammy. Mark my words

HiphopRelated
11-30-2011, 12:42 PM

The new CBA was put into effect to stop teams like Miami from getting everyone. Its especially punitive to them. There is no MLE for luxury tax teams. So their max MLE is ~3M. They can amnesty Miller and get a full MLE of 5M. But it makes no sense to me to do that and other reports scoff at such a notion. So they have a 3M salary to offer. After that they will only be able to offer the league min.

Dalembert has taken it upon himself to help the Haiti recovery and he knows what millions of dollars can do for his country. Its possible he doesn't get a lot of big offers but its tough to imagine someone doesn't pony up a lot more than that. Even if it does fly, it leaves zero above the league min for Battier. Which seems highly unlikely to be sufficient. I think this is more of an either/or situation.

And what happens if the Lakers get Howard? Do you trust Dalembert/Anthony/Bosh to contend with Pau and Howard? And thats a best case scenario, getting Dalembert.
no, their max MLE is 5 MIL

They are under the luxury tax

HurricaneKid
11-30-2011, 01:52 PM
no, their max MLE is 5 MIL

They are under the luxury tax

You are wrong. 5M would put them INTO the tax. You no longer get a MLE into the luxury tax. They have a 3M MLE (which would take them to the luxury tax threshold) unless they amnesty someone which would be silly since they aren't paying a single bad contract.

HurricaneKid
11-30-2011, 01:55 PM
...stay under the luxury tax line, which is expected to be right about where it was last season at $70.3 million. The owners wanted to make any team that was over that line unable to use the full mid-level exception, including if using that money pushed a team into the tax zone.

DirtySanchez
11-30-2011, 01:58 PM
Dalembert would be a solid addition for the Heat.
I am not sure why they go after Shane as well. Yes great player but how can they use him to his fullest extend?

The rich will get richer in any case.

All Net
11-30-2011, 03:29 PM
You are wrong. 5M would put them INTO the tax. You no longer get a MLE into the luxury tax. They have a 3M MLE (which would take them to the luxury tax threshold) unless they amnesty someone which would be silly since they aren't paying a single bad contract.

[QUOTE]The biggest move was owners allowing teams that are not more than $4 million over the luxury tax line to use the full mid-level exception of $5 million, according to multiple reports. That $4 million window makes a world of difference for the Heat and should allow them to:

Dbrog
11-30-2011, 03:32 PM

Why? He seems to like the idea of going there.

AMISTILLILL
11-30-2011, 03:51 PM

This thread is from July and was posted by Jeff.

HurricaneKid
11-30-2011, 04:04 PM
Not according to heat reporters

I saw a few links that say otherwise. I guess since the CBA hasn't even been signed yet the details are a little sketchy.

HurricaneKid
11-30-2011, 04:09 PM
I especially doubt this part:

players who are waived by the via the amnesty clause elsewhere.

JMT
11-30-2011, 04:22 PM
Dalembert? Bosh.O

Are they adding him so Bosh looks tough compared to somebody else?

cuad
11-30-2011, 05:31 PM
With Samuel Dalembert, Marcus Thornton and the three rookies, the Kings will have all the talent, and in good balance, that they need to make the playoffs. That is why it is crucial for the Kings to resign Dalembert. After that, it just comes down to the team defense that they play.

He can ask for it, but who will give it to him?

Kings- "Would like to keep him", but have Cousins obviously

DeMarcus Cousins is a < 6'11" PF in the Zach Randolph mold.

sixer6ad
11-30-2011, 07:05 PM
Bron gonna gather as much as he can to win. AMAZING TALENT, but feels so much better (like everyone else) when there's no doubt his team is the best. He's happier...at peace...relaxed...when it's all just fun because his team is dominant.

When there's a little work to do...:(

32Dayz
11-30-2011, 07:15 PM
Both would be good pickups but Dalembert in particular would definitely help them the most.

Lebron23
12-01-2011, 02:33 AM
Both would be good pickups but Dalembert in particular would definitely help them the most.

He's the only Center on the FA lists that the Heat can afford. Dalembert also wants to play for the Heat.

Kurosawa0
12-01-2011, 02:36 AM
He's the only Center on the FA lists that the Heat can afford. Dalembert also wants to play for the Heat.

Well, usually when there's this much talk about a trade/signing it goes down eventually.

WeGetRing2012
12-01-2011, 02:48 AM
These players would do nothing for the Heat and I dont even see how Battier would fit in....