PDA

View Full Version : Magic Johnson refused to play for the Bulls and threatened to return to MSU (Michigan

Duncan21formvp
07-19-2011, 08:21 AM
http://espn.go.com/blog/truehoop/post/_/id/18462/magic-johnson-sought-elite-teammates-too

And in the case of Magic Johnson, Mike has done his homework. He found a Mike Downey L.A. Times article from 1991:
Magic Johnson would have returned to Michigan State rather than play for the Chicago Bulls.

"I'd have stayed in school," he said here Tuesday, standing alone outside Gate 3 1/2 of Chicago Stadium, the house that could have been his. "A coin toss changed the course of my whole life." Chicago called heads in a 1979 coin flip with Los Angeles for the No. 1 pick in the NBA college draft. It came up tails.

Johnson signed with the Lakers after his sophomore year of college and proceeded to win five championships. The Bulls picked second, took UCLA's David Greenwood and have won no championships.

"I wouldn't have played here," Johnson said on the eve of Game 2 of the NBA finals between his team and the team that could have been his. "The only reason I came out was to play with Kareem and the Lakers."

http://articles.latimes.com/1991-06-05/sports/sp-83_1_lakers

Magic Johnson would have returned to Michigan State rather than play for the Chicago Bulls.

"I'd have stayed in school," he said here Tuesday, standing alone outside Gate 3 1/2 of Chicago Stadium, the house that could have been his. "A coin toss changed the course of my whole life."

Johnson signed with the Lakers after his sophomore year of college and proceeded to win five championships. The Bulls picked second, took UCLA's David Greenwood and have won no championships.

"I wouldn't have played here," Johnson said on the eve of Game 2 of the NBA finals between his team and the team that could have been his. "The only reason I came out was to play with Kareem and the Lakers.

97 bulls
07-19-2011, 09:07 AM
http://espn.go.com/blog/truehoop/post/_/id/18462/magic-johnson-sought-elite-teammates-too

And in the case of Magic Johnson, Mike has done his homework. He found a Mike Downey L.A. Times article from 1991:

"I'd have stayed in school," he said here Tuesday, standing alone outside Gate 3 1/2 of Chicago Stadium, the house that could have been his. "A coin toss changed the course of my whole life." Chicago called heads in a 1979 coin flip with Los Angeles for the No. 1 pick in the NBA college draft. It came up tails.

"I wouldn't have played here," Johnson said on the eve of Game 2 of the NBA finals between his team and the team that could have been his. "The only reason I came out was to play with Kareem and the Lakers."

Wow, I lost alot of respect for johnson. This tells me he's nothing but a fronrunner. He's not a winner. Hell I always knew he was a crybaby. Good read.

97 bulls
07-19-2011, 09:16 AM

I don't bellieve you guys are trying to ignore this

Orlando Magic
07-19-2011, 09:21 AM
Magic Johnson was an incredible basketball player and an incredibly stupid human being. You need look no further than his basketball analysis or lack thereof.

BIG FURB
07-19-2011, 09:51 AM
Magic Johnson was an incredible basketball player and an incredibly stupid human being. You need look no further than his basketball analysis or lack thereof.

Or you could look at the tremendous business success he's had in his post-nba career and see you don't know what the hell you're talking about. If the man's stupid then he's the equivalent of a black Forrest Gump

DMAVS41
07-19-2011, 09:52 AM
Wow, I lost alot of respect for johnson. This tells me he's nothing but a fronrunner. He's not a winner. Hell I always knew he was a crybaby. Good read.

Did you really not already know about this?

The idea that old school players would have never teamed up together is the most absurd notion. Especially if they had spent the first 7 years of their career playing in a small market with little to no help.

I would have loved to see an obsessed winner like MJ or Bird suffer their first 7 years on a crap team like Lebron did. You really think MJ is sticking around Chicago if Pippen didn't get drafted or develop? Hell no. He would have joined forces with other great players.

And people need to stop comparing teaming up with Wade to the equivalent of Magic and Larry teaming up. Wade won one title and hadn't won a playoff series since 06 I think. Completely different.

97 bulls
07-19-2011, 10:00 AM

The idea that old school players would have never teamed up together is the most absurd notion. Especially if they had spent the first 7 years of their career playing in a small market with little to no help.

I would have loved to see an obsessed winner like MJ or Bird suffer their first 7 years on a crap team like Lebron did. You really think MJ is sticking around Chicago if Pippen didn't get drafted or develop? Hell no. He would have joined forces with other great players.

And people need to stop comparing teaming up with Wade to the equivalent of Magic and Larry teaming up. Wade won one title and hadn't won a playoff series since 06 I think. Completely different.
I knew the lakers won the coin flip. But magic whoreing himself out, no I didn't know that. But what I don't understand, is how you can say jordan didn't suffer in his first 7 years in the league. Jordan wasn't a quitter.

I know I said this before, but magic is such a front runner. I'm thinking back to that dream team exibition where he complained cuz in his opinion, he wasn't on the best team during that scrimmage. Or when he coached the lakers and quit in the middle of the season cuz the team wasn't good. What a joke.

DMAVS41
07-19-2011, 10:06 AM
I knew the lakers won the coin flip. But magic whoreing himself out, no I didn't know that. But what I don't understand, is how you can say jordan didn't suffer in his first 7 years in the league. Jordan wasn't a quitter.

I know I said this before, but magic is such a front runner. I'm thinking back to that dream team exibition where he complained cuz in his opinion, he wasn't on the best team during that scrimmage. Or when he coached the lakers and quit in the middle of the season cuz the team wasn't good. What a joke.

Well, MJ suffered early on for sure, but the team showed signs of getting better and obviously Pippen came (in 88 in MJ's 4th year).

MJ lost in game 7 in the ECF in year 6 with Pippen showing all the proper signs of becoming an elite player. In year 7, they won the title.

MJ really only had to play his first 5 years without having a legit contending team.

I don't think that is comparable to Lebron because Lebron never had that 2nd star and his team after year 7 was only going to get worse, not better.

Yes, Magic chose to only come out to play with Kareem/Lakers because it was the best chance for him to market himself and win titles. I really don't see anything wrong with that.

Very similar to Kobe forcing his way to the Lakers. Its just smart. Why would any player settle on another franchise if the Lakers or Celtics were an option right off the bat? Honestly, that would be just stupid to pass up those chances.

GreatGreg
07-19-2011, 10:23 AM
Good thing he didn't come to Chicago. Then, we would have never gotten the Real GOAT.

guy
07-19-2011, 10:23 AM
Well, MJ suffered early on for sure, but the team showed signs of getting better and obviously Pippen came (in 88 in MJ's 4th year).

MJ lost in game 7 in the ECF in year 6 with Pippen showing all the proper signs of becoming an elite player. In year 7, they won the title.

MJ really only had to play his first 5 years without having a legit contending team.

I don't think that is comparable to Lebron because Lebron never had that 2nd star and his team after year 7 was only going to get worse, not better.

Yes, Magic chose to only come out to play with Kareem/Lakers because it was the best chance for him to market himself and win titles. I really don't see anything wrong with that.

Very similar to Kobe forcing his way to the Lakers. Its just smart. Why would any player settle on another franchise if the Lakers or Celtics were an option right off the bat? Honestly, that would be just stupid to pass up those chances.

Its not like Pippen and Grant were considered full-fledged all star players at that point even though they were improving. And if the 1990 Bulls were considered legit contenders, I don't see how the 2009 and 2010 Cavs aren't. Lebron gets a pass for 2009 since he played his heart out. But the 2010 Cavs were better and deeper and were in a great position to beat the Celtics, but they didn't and the main reason for that was cause Lebron quit on them.

DMAVS41
07-19-2011, 10:28 AM
Its not like Pippen and Grant were considered full-fledged all star players at that point even though they were improving. And if the 1990 Bulls were considered legit contenders, I don't see how the 2009 and 2010 Cavs aren't. Lebron gets a pass for 2009 since he played his heart out. But the 2010 Cavs were better and deeper and were in a great position to beat the Celtics, but they didn't and the main reason for that was cause Lebron quit on them.

I'm not defending Lebron's play. I'm defending his decision to leave.

The simple fact is that the Bulls team was showing signs of getting better and they had good reason to believe that Pippen was going to be a great player after watching him progress and improve in the 1990 season.

Its really not comparable at all.

Totally agree about Lebron being at fault in 2010 and not playing as well as he should have. That doesn't change the fact that he had an average team around him that was only going to get worse. He didn't have a 2nd star and he played in a market that does not attract any big time free agents.

Orlando Magic
07-19-2011, 10:33 AM
If the man's stupid then he's the equivalent of a black Forrest Gump

He is. He even contracted the HIV and everything.

OldSchoolBBall
07-19-2011, 11:08 AM
So that's who Kobe patterned his bitch-made-ness after. :oldlol: LMAO @ the arrogance.

guy
07-19-2011, 11:13 AM
I'm not defending Lebron's play. I'm defending his decision to leave.

The simple fact is that the Bulls team was showing signs of getting better and they had good reason to believe that Pippen was going to be a great player after watching him progress and improve in the 1990 season.

Its really not comparable at all.

Totally agree about Lebron being at fault in 2010 and not playing as well as he should have. That doesn't change the fact that he had an average team around him that was only going to get worse. He didn't have a 2nd star and he played in a market that does not attract any big time free agents.

Its not comparable in that the 90s Bulls looked like they were going to get better while 10s Cavs weren't. I agree. And I don't really fault Lebron for leaving either.

What is comparable though is their situations in their first 6-7 seasons when it comes to winning, not taking into account their potential futures after that. The Cavs in 2010 were definitely capable of at least making the Finals that year. That team was better then average, and before anyone mentions them, trying to use the 2011 Cavs as evidence that they weren't would be wrong.

winwin
07-19-2011, 11:22 AM
OP are you the guy who was wishing that kobe get injured so he can't play in the finals?

97 bulls
07-19-2011, 11:50 AM

I really don't see a similarity between jordan and johnson. Johnson said he wanted to play with kareem and the lakers cuz obviously they were one of the best teams. And that he would've stayed in school rather than play with a bad team.

Jordan turned the bulls into a champion. They weren't champions when he was drafted or even remotely close to it. And 5 years is a long time to endure loosing.

This goes back to the debate we had when you asked me who id pick to start a franchise between magic and pippen. This further solidifies my stance that I know that pippen could at least stay competitive with a bad team. Magic would refuse to play or quit if it didn't go right for him. He's done it 3 times in his career.

8BeastlyXOIAD
07-19-2011, 11:55 AM
:roll: :roll: :roll:

SpecialQue
07-19-2011, 12:01 PM
I'm really not getting this weird retro-hating of Magic Johnson that's popping up all of a sudden. Is is because someone hurt your feelings by saying Jordan ain't the GOAT?

DMAVS41
07-19-2011, 12:07 PM
Its not comparable in that the 90s Bulls looked like they were going to get better while 10s Cavs weren't. I agree. And I don't really fault Lebron for leaving either.

What is comparable though is their situations in their first 6-7 seasons when it comes to winning, not taking into account their potential futures after that. The Cavs in 2010 were definitely capable of at least making the Finals that year. That team was better then average, and before anyone mentions them, trying to use the 2011 Cavs as evidence that they weren't would be wrong.

Totally agree.

MJ won in year 7. Lebron could have if he played amazing. Both had chances in year 6, but its hard to fault them because they both played great.

I'm only talking about the first 7 years. Now that we saw Lebron choke in the finals, its not very logical to say he would have won in the past with more help.

I do still believe the Cavs would have won in 08 and 09 if they had a legit 2nd star like Chris Paul, but we will obviously never know.

My point was that after Jordan's first 5 years, the writing was on the wall. The team was improving and Pippen looked to be a great fit and looked like a lock to become a star. With the Cavs, it was the opposite. The team had no direction and honestly could only get worse. Cleveland doesn't attract free agents and they had very few trade assets to get the kind of 2nd star in there they needed.

One team was on its way up....the other was on its way down.

DMAVS41
07-19-2011, 12:08 PM
I really don't see a similarity between jordan and johnson. Johnson said he wanted to play with kareem and the lakers cuz obviously they were one of the best teams. And that he would've stayed in school rather than play with a bad team.

Jordan turned the bulls into a champion. They weren't champions when he was drafted or even remotely close to it. And 5 years is a long time to endure loosing.

This goes back to the debate we had when you asked me who id pick to start a franchise between magic and pippen. This further solidifies my stance that I know that pippen could at least stay competitive with a bad team. Magic would refuse to play or quit if it didn't go right for him. He's done it 3 times in his career.

I never compared MJ to Magic in that sense. I simply said I think the notion that old school stars would not team up with other great players is silly. And I stand by that.

I never said MJ somehow did something similar to Magic. He obviously did not.

I'll never understand your take on Magic vs Pippen. But this isn't about that at all.

LeFraud James
07-19-2011, 12:09 PM
InB4 someone says LeBron had no choice but to play for Cleveland.

Even though it's true.

catch24
07-19-2011, 12:11 PM
Idiots that still think Pippen >>>> Magic

:facepalm

Kblaze8855
07-19-2011, 12:32 PM
Yea I thought this was pretty common knowledge.

jlip
07-19-2011, 12:40 PM
Yea I thought this was pretty common knowledge.

Me too.

IGOTGAME
07-19-2011, 12:44 PM
Totally agree.

MJ won in year 7. Lebron could have if he played amazing. Both had chances in year 6, but its hard to fault them because they both played great.

I'm only talking about the first 7 years. Now that we saw Lebron choke in the finals, its not very logical to say he would have won in the past with more help.

I do still believe the Cavs would have won in 08 and 09 if they had a legit 2nd star like Chris Paul, but we will obviously never know.

My point was that after Jordan's first 5 years, the writing was on the wall. The team was improving and Pippen looked to be a great fit and looked like a lock to become a star. With the Cavs, it was the opposite. The team had no direction and honestly could only get worse. Cleveland doesn't attract free agents and they had very few trade assets to get the kind of 2nd star in there they needed.

One team was on its way up....the other was on its way down.

so? The team would be the best team in the league by far if they had all that talent and Chris Paul. The Cavs had deadly shooters plus amazing defense and rebounding and then you add in the best pg in the world(especially in 2008 where Paul had one of the greatest pg seasons ever).

catch24
07-19-2011, 12:56 PM
And also gotta lol @ the revisionist history calling Magic a quitter. Lets not forget Pippen cried like a bitch, sitting on the sidelines and refusing to take the court during that pivotal game 3 vs NY, because the play Jackson diagrammed didn't include him.

Rose
07-19-2011, 01:06 PM
And also gotta lol @ the revisionist history calling Magic a quitter. Lets not forget Pippen cried like a bitch, sitting on the sidelines and refusing to take the court during that pivotal game 3 vs NY, because the play Jackson diagrammed didn't include him.
I do agree with your point. But I totally take Pippen's side. All year he was told he could carry them, that they were his team now, and he was what? second in MVP voting I think? He had every right to be mad.

catch24
07-19-2011, 01:12 PM
I do agree with your point. But I totally take Pippen's side. All year he was told he could carry them, that they were his team now, and he was what? second in MVP voting I think? He had every right to be mad.

I don't. He was a team player; the quote-on-quote, "utility guy". Jackson drew up a play for Steve Kerr during the '97 Finals, while Michael, throughout his career, was the go-to-man. Where's the difference?

Refusing to come back into a game because your coach drew up a play for the better shooter is ridiculous. Unsportsmanlike even.

rodman91
07-19-2011, 01:12 PM
http://cdn.guyism.com/wp-content/uploads/LeBron-karma.png

caliman
07-19-2011, 01:17 PM

I do believe you're the one that is stupid. No one can have the tremendous business success that Magic has had and say he is stupid. He may not be articulate, but he is far from stupid.

Rose
07-19-2011, 01:17 PM
I don't. He was a team player; the quote-on-quote, "utility guy". Jackson drew up a play for Steve Kerr during the '97 Finals, while Michael, throughout his career, was the go-to-man. Where's the difference?

Refusing to come back into a game because your coach drew up a play for the better shooter is ridiculous. Unsportsmanlike even.
I agree it's wrong. But I totally understand Pippen's point. But I'm a huge Pippen fan boy as well.:lol

I just think if that happened, your star is obviously going to get mad. I mean think about it, how many shots did Jordan take at the last second before he learned to trust his teammates to hit them? If they were bad it didn't matter he was ****ing shooting.

Then think about, how Pippen was ALWAYS willing to defer, from the first time he got on the floor, until 93 when he was told he was the guy, he could be the star, he would be the one taking the last second shots. If the season was on the line he would be taking the shots. and then the season more or less was on the line and he didn't get the shot. And even when the season boiled down to you make this shot or you go home, MJ took it. Pippen was the "MJ", and didn't get too. Obviously it was only game 3, but still. It was a huge momentum game.

guy
07-19-2011, 01:18 PM

Coaches direct players other then the star player to take the last shot all the time. He didn't have any right to act that way.

caliman
07-19-2011, 01:21 PM
Or when he coached the lakers and quit in the middle of the season cuz the team wasn't good. What a joke.

False

97 bulls
07-19-2011, 01:22 PM
I never compared MJ to Magic in that sense. I simply said I think the notion that old school stars would not team up with other great players is silly. And I stand by that.

I never said MJ somehow did something similar to Magic. He obviously did not.

I'll never understand your take on Magic vs Pippen. But this isn't about that at all.
What's not to understand. ? Magic himself said he wouldn't go to a bad basketball team. My take on your question was that I know what pippen would give me in the least. That 95 bulls team that pippen lead was terrible. And yet they were on pace for 44 wins. So I know that on a bad basketball team, pippens gonna keep them competitive.

Magic on the other hand was a self-admitted frontrunner. He wasn't gonna play unless he had the best chance of winning. What the lakers did while he was there was impressive. But he benifitted from being on a great team.

pauk
07-19-2011, 01:23 PM
You People Didnt Know This???????

And This Is The Moron That Criticized Lebron For Wanting To Finally Team Up With A Great Team...............

At Least Lebron Tried To Do It For 7 Years In A Scrub Team......... And Lebron Never Complained...... Never Ever Ever Complained Or Threatened To Leave Or Made Ultimatums unlike..... Magic, Kobe... Jordan.......... All Of Them Whined... Threatened To Leave... Whined On Their Teammates...

Lebron Never Did That..... And They Criticize Him.......... Tragic Johnson Indeed.......

He Will Always Be Tragic Johnson

LARRY BIRD > TRAGIC JOHNSON

THERE IS YOUR """""WINNER"""""

Bring-Your-Js
07-19-2011, 01:24 PM
I actually wasnt aware of this. Wasn't Magic saying "That's not how we do things" when asked what he thought of James/Wade/Bosh getting together? Dude was doing it before he even played an NBA game.

Players didn't "conspire" in the same way simply because they didn't have the freedom.

97 bulls
07-19-2011, 01:25 PM
False
That's false? I'm a big boy. If I'm wrong ill readily admit it.

Rose
07-19-2011, 01:25 PM
Coaches direct players other then the star player to take the last shot all the time. He didn't have any right to act that way.
Difference of opinions. this is the one time in NBA history I think it was acceptable for a star to be pissed at him not taking the last shot.

Okay maybe not acceptable, but at the very least understandable

97 bulls
07-19-2011, 01:27 PM
You People Didnt Know This???????

And This Is The Moron That Criticized Lebron For Wanting To Finally Team Up With A Great Team...............

At Least Lebron Tried To Do It For 7 Years In A Scrub Team......... And Lebron Never Complained...... Never Ever Ever Complained Or Threatened To Leave Or Made Ultimatums unlike..... Magic, Kobe... Jordan.......... All Of Them Whined... Threatened To Leave... Whined On Their Teammates...

Lebron Never Did That..... And They Criticize Him.......... Tragic Johnson Indeed.......

He Will Always Be Tragic Johnson

LARRY BIRD > TRAGIC JOHNSON
When did jordan threaten to leave the bulls?

catch24
07-19-2011, 01:27 PM
I agree it's wrong. But I totally understand Pippen's point. But I'm a huge Pippen fan boy as well.:lol

I just think if that happened, your star is obviously going to get mad. I mean think about it, how many shots did Jordan take at the last second before he learned to trust his teammates to hit them? If they were bad it didn't matter he was ****ing shooting.

Then think about, how Pippen was ALWAYS willing to defer, from the first time he got on the floor, until 93 when he was told he was the guy, he could be the star, he would be the one taking the last second shots. If the season was on the line he would be taking the shots. and then the season more or less was on the line and he didn't get the shot. And even when the season boiled down to you make this shot or you go home, MJ took it. Pippen was the "MJ", and didn't get too. Obviously it was only game 3, but still. It was a huge momentum game.

For sure. Don't get me wrong, he's a legend in his own right, but I find it hypocritical clowns on here are claiming Magic was a quitter and front runner while their favorite player(s) have shown just as much if not more-so renounce and impairment.

DuMa
07-19-2011, 01:29 PM
lots of similarities to Kobe. except for the peak and dominating play

Rose
07-19-2011, 01:30 PM
For sure. Don't get me wrong, he's a legend in his own right, but I find it hypocritical clowns on here are claiming Magic was a quitter and front runner while their favorite player(s) have shown just as much if not more-so renounce and impairment.
Eh, I knew this awhile ago. I remember back when Simmons HATED the Lakers before 08, one day he was taking potshots on twitter about this.:roll:

I think Magic would have made a bitch, whiny ass move. But that's about it. Doesn't change my opinion of him. Except to say that he's full of shit for his Bronzy "that's not how we did it" stuff. Hypocritical bastard.:mad:

And for reasons I stated before this is far far worse than Pippen not going into game 3. Whining about a shot is one thing. Going back to college so you don't have to endure losing is another

97 bulls
07-19-2011, 01:31 PM
Difference of opinions. this is the one time in NBA history I think it was acceptable for a star to be pissed at him not taking the last shot.

I totally agree with you rose. I believed he earned the opportunity to sink or swim. Even if it was a bad deciision on his part. I would've been pissed too. I liken it to a promotion that you've worked hard for. The extra hours, missing your family, the overall sacrifice. And then it goes to the guys that's been there for a few months. That was his promotion and jackson took it from him.

pauk
07-19-2011, 01:31 PM
Magic on the other hand was a self-admitted frontrunner. He wasn't gonna play unless he had the best chance of winning. What the lakers did while he was there was impressive. But he benifitted from being on a great team.

AND THAT MADE HIM BE TOP 10 RIGHT NOW............... all because of what team accomplishments can do......... imagine that.......

HE IS SMART THO......... HE KNOWS HOW MUCH PEOPLE LIKE TO OVERRATE TEAM ACCOMPLISHMENTS...............

Rose
07-19-2011, 01:33 PM
I totally agree with you rose. I believed he earned the opportunity to sink or swim. Even if it was a bad deciision on his part. I would've been pissed too. I liken it to a promotion that you've worked hard for. The extra hours, missing your family, the overall sacrifice. And then it goes to the guys that's been there for a few months. That was his promotion and jackson took it from him.
I know I would have been ****ing pissed. I'd rather win than lose every time, so I would have went in. But I would have probably let Jackson have it in the postgame interview.

catch24
07-19-2011, 01:33 PM
Eh, I knew this awhile ago. I remember back when Simmons HATED the Lakers before 08, one day he was taking potshots on twitter about this.:roll:

I think Magic would have made a bitch, whiny ass move. But that's about it. Doesn't change my opinion of him. Except to say that he's full of shit for his Bronzy "that's not how we did it" stuff. Hypocritical bastard.:mad:

And for reasons I stated before this is far far worse than Pippen not going into game 3. Whining about a shot is one thing. Going back to college so you don't have to endure losing is another

Completely disagree.

Although, I can agree dude shouldn't be passing judgment on players choosing their own destiny.

Rose
07-19-2011, 01:36 PM
Completely disagree.

Although, I can agree dude shouldn't be passing judgment on players choosing their own destiny.
How might I ask do you disagree? I mean potentially not going to a team because they're a shitty one is far different from a last second shot. At least in my opinion.

Hell that's why I dislike Eli Manning.

97 bulls
07-19-2011, 01:36 PM
Big difference. Pippen assumed that role and wanted the opportunity. Magic said he wasn't gonna play for a bad team.

guy
07-19-2011, 01:37 PM

Its one thing to be pissed, another to be disrespectful to your team like that.

pauk
07-19-2011, 01:44 PM
When did jordan threaten to leave the bulls?

not literally.... but he layed down ultimatums.....

and whined on his teammates.... i love jordan.... he is the ultimate winner.... but he did do it.... he used to kill his teammates.... i remember reading somewhere he said to Pippen... Cartwright... Horace Grant.. that he was gona end their career if they didnt show up.... and that he would brake Cartwrights legs............. Grant got into a scuffle with him once because of this..........

Jordan also punched Steve in a practice once....... phil jackson threw him out....

and you remember Pippen? when Pippen came in...... jordan didnt like the move at all.... and he made pippen know about it.......

ULTIMATELY THAT MADE HIS TEAMMATES PLAY BETTER...... BY BEING AN ASSHOLE........... MAYBE THATS THE INGREDIENT????? BE AN ASSHOLE TO YOUR TEAMMATES AND THEY WILL PLAY BETTER..........

catch24
07-19-2011, 01:44 PM
How might I ask do you disagree? I mean potentially not going to a team because they're a shitty one is far different from a last second shot. At least in my opinion.

Hell that's why I dislike Eli Manning.

I disagree because despite not getting the last shot, Pippen was a champion, leader and renown veteran. The guy wasn't known for his "clutch shots"; he was known for his team-play (what he did best) as I mentioned earlier. He pretty much quit on his guys at a time you can't afford to make excuses and put yourself above the team. Meanwhile, Magic wasn't even an full-fledged adult at the time, immature and was thinking championships from the get-go (not that I believe it was the right thing to say, but there have been a handful of athletes that have done the same - Kobe included - simultaneously being historic competitors and champions).

Magic was young, Pippen was a vet who knew better. There's def a difference ... and best believe Scottie's career would have a huge black-eye if Kukoc didn't hit that GW.

Rose
07-19-2011, 01:50 PM
I disagree because despite not getting the last shot, Pippen was a champion, leader and renown veteran. The guy wasn't known for his "clutch shots"; he was known for his team-play as I mentioned earlier. He pretty much quit on his team at a time you can't afford to make excuses and put yourself above the team. Meanwhile, Magic wasn't even an full-fledged adult at the time, immature and was thinking championships from the get-go (not that I believe it was the right thing to say, but there have been a handful of athletes that have done the same - Kobe included - simultaneously being historic competitors and champions).

Magic was young, Pippen was a vet who knew better. There's def a difference ... and best believe Scottie's career would have a huge black-eye if Kukoc didn't hit that GW.
Ah I totally understand when you put it that way.

I don't agree there'd be a black eye. Pippen just would have been right.

I have a better black eye for you though. Suppose Hue Hollins doesn't call the worst foul in NBA history, and the Bulls go on to win, and play in the Finals. It happens again. Phil calls the play for someone else....:lol

Or hell even if they just make the Finals. that still looks worse.

catch24
07-19-2011, 01:55 PM
Ah I totally understand when you put it that way.

I don't agree there'd be a black eye. Pippen just would have been right.

I have a better black eye for you though. Suppose Hue Hollins doesn't call the worst foul in NBA history, and the Bulls go on to win, and play in the Finals. It happens again. Phil calls the play for someone else....:lol

:oldlol: :applause:

You are a dedicated Pippen fan, I can respect that.

Rose
07-19-2011, 01:56 PM
:oldlol: :applause:

You are a dedicated Pippen fan, I can respect that.
:D

Funny fact: Hue Hollins also went investigation for rigging games with Donaghy. He just used a better bookie.:lol

catch24
07-19-2011, 01:58 PM

Funny fact: Hue Hollins also went investigation for rigging games with Donaghy. He just used a better bookie.:lol

Dude was working for the NY mob or what? I honestly never knew that. :wtf:

Batz
07-19-2011, 01:59 PM

What ever happened to that blog of yours?

Samurai Swoosh
07-19-2011, 02:01 PM
I'm really not getting this weird retro-hating of Magic Johnson that's popping up all of a sudden. Is is because someone hurt your feelings by saying Jordan ain't the GOAT?
MJ > Your favorite player

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v496/MitchMatch/tumblr_lifjn3jWAz1qhjerpo1_400.gif

Rose
07-19-2011, 02:04 PM
Dude was working for the NY mob or what? I honestly never knew that. :wtf:
http://www.usatoday.com/sports/basketball/nba/2007-07-25-Referees-reviews_N.htm?csp=34
Dick bavetta too (http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=3439554)
Blog talking about questionable calls he made in history (http://20secondtimeout.blogspot.com/2007/07/are-hue-hollins-and-jake-odonnell.html)

I think Donaghy was just the fall guy because Hollins, amongst others, were better at keeping secrets and with better bookies.

http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/showthread.php?t=50335 here's an old ISH thread talking about it. and other games

Batz
07-19-2011, 02:05 PM
This post exists.

Rose
07-19-2011, 02:06 PM
It needs a supercool background design, wanna make.:D

I can pay you next month, when I get money.

And i was gathering links GOSH BE PATIENT BATZMAN

Batz
07-19-2011, 02:08 PM
It needs a supercool background design, wanna make.:D

I can pay you next month, when I get money.

And i was gathering links GOSH BE PATIENT BATZMAN
Supercoolbackgroundz?

Well I need to see the design first. Then incorporate the BG with it.

Rose
07-19-2011, 02:11 PM
Supercoolbackgroundz?

Well I need to see the design first. Then incorporate the BG with it.
Czech yo pms. You'll love the name.:D

Batz
07-19-2011, 02:14 PM
Czech yo pms. You'll love the name.:D
K now I'm going to just hack the site for myselfez.

Imma try replacing that banner first. Maybe ri now. BG may take a while, mainly because I'm tired.

Rose
07-19-2011, 02:16 PM
K now I'm going to just hack the site for myselfez.

Imma try replacing that banner first. Maybe ri now. BG may take a while, mainly because I'm tired.
K.:cheers:

Batz
07-19-2011, 02:20 PM
Wait you sure that's the theme you want? Final?

Rose
07-19-2011, 02:23 PM
Wait you sure that's the theme you want? Final?
Idk...I just made sammiches. I haven't decided on the theme yet. As I said I'm looking for opinions. I do like that theme though.

Samurai Swoosh
07-19-2011, 02:27 PM

:pimp:

guy
07-19-2011, 05:05 PM
I think some of you are giving Magic too much criticism and making a bigger deal out of this then it is. Lets remember, this was 1979 and Magic had only had 2 years of college. It was extremely rare for a player back then to leave college early, so its really not that crazy that he would only leave early depending on the circumstance. Its not like he played 4 years of college and graduated, then entered the draft and refused to play for any other team but the Lakers. He left early depending on the opportunity. Think about it like if a normal person was in the same situation. A student majoring in something like accounting would not leave college early unless there was a job opportunity that was really enticing to him and too good to turn down. Its kind of the same thing. I'm sure every college player has specific NBA teams they would rather go to over others. In this case, Magic had that options of going to a team he would like to play for or staying in school another year or two and seeing what option he would have after that.

I do agree though that for someone that did this, he definitely does look hypocritical criticizing Lebron for what he did. Its not the exact same situation but its close enough that he should've shut up about it. (Magic joining Kareem made alot more sense basketball-wise plus Kareem was not looked at the time as a peer/rival like Lebron and Wade were. Magic joining Kareem is more like Wade and Shaq joining each other).

Micku
07-19-2011, 05:17 PM
The article is pretty funny to me.

He spoke rather bluntly about his rookie season with the Lakers, saying, "No other guy could have come onto that team and fed all those egos. I had to make certain sacrifices to keep them all happy."

He spoke rather wistfully about his final season with the Lakers, whenever that will be, saying, "I might just jump up sooner than you think and say: 'That's enough.' I'm not going to play just for the money or just to hang around. I don't want to be a piece of the puzzle. I want to be the puzzle."

The Bulls believe they could have persuaded Johnson to play for them. But then, they never would have had Jordan.

Nice little irony there.

"How about if I end up owning the Bulls?" Magic asked. "Now there would be the ultimate irony."

Haha.

But, this whole thing is about showing the hypocrisy of Magic critcizing LBJ joining Wade when Magic had possibly the most talented team in history. It makes a good point, because people say that Magic never joined Bird to win titles. But Magic refuse to play in a crappy team, and wanted to play with the Lakers with Kareem, who was the best player.

kentatm
07-19-2011, 05:47 PM

Chicago pretty much was "crap" until they got Phil and Scottie. At least as "crap" as Bron's Cavs were.

and to say it didnt look like the Cavs were going to get better is flat out false.

They had the room to get a Bosh or an Amar'e that summer. They couldn't b/c of LeBron blatantly never giving two thoughts about staying in Cleavland. Why the hell do you think Bosh laughed them off? He already knew where he and Bron were going.

Micku
07-19-2011, 05:57 PM
And teams crappy in the 80s is kind'a different than crappy in the 00s. The 80s had more talent and more teams were stacked. If you check the 80s record, everybody was losing and winning to everybody except for the top teams. Most of the time, their records are misleading.

If I can recall, I think most teams were around 50% of their win record? A little bit more or a little bit less? If that's true, then the competition was really high with the average teams.

bluechox2
07-19-2011, 05:58 PM
:lol magic

Psileas
07-19-2011, 06:05 PM
Wow, shocking, so Magic would prefer playing for the Lakers with Kareem, instead of the mediocre Bulls. So, I guess a really great player would rather play for a mediocre or, even better, a crappy team, just in order to become "The Man" from day one, regardless of winning or losing...I also guess Jordan had been turning into a lesser player when in the late 80's he was getting increasingly angry at Krause for not getting him better teammates, instead of trying to win it all by himself.

And, of course, because he hypothesized (in 1991 nonetheless) that he'd rather stay in college than sign for the Bulls, this must have made it a fact. The Lakers were lucky for even having the chance to acquire Magic in 1979 (thanks to the Jazz, but that's another story). So, what if the Lakers didn't have that chance at all? Would he just retire after college? Or would he only go on to become just an average, unmotivated player?

"Never fear, Magic is here" was one of his most famous phrases. Typical of a front-runner, huh? I'm sure Pippen would claim the same if Jordan had broken his leg during a Finals' series and would will his team to the title like Magic did. :rolleyes:

97 bulls
07-19-2011, 06:43 PM
Wow, shocking, so Magic would prefer playing for the Lakers with Kareem, instead of the mediocre Bulls. So, I guess a really great player would rather play for a mediocre or, even better, a crappy team, just in order to become "The Man" from day one, regardless of winning or losing...I also guess Jordan had been turning into a lesser player when in the late 80's he was getting increasingly angry at Krause for not getting him better teammates, instead of trying to win it all by himself.

And, of course, because he hypothesized (in 1991 nonetheless) that he'd rather stay in college than sign for the Bulls, this must have made it a fact. The Lakers were lucky for even having the chance to acquire Magic in 1979 (thanks to the Jazz, but that's another story). So, what if the Lakers didn't have that chance at all? Would he just retire after college? Or would he only go on to become just an average, unmotivated player?

"Never fear, Magic is here" was one of his most famous phrases. Typical of a front-runner, huh? I'm sure Pippen would claim the same if Jordan had broken his leg during a Finals' series and would will his team to the title like Magic did. :rolleyes:
That wasn't the only time magic showed that he only wanted to play with the best players. He did that during that scrimmage in 92 when he complained that the jordan led team was better than his. He stop coaching the lakers cuz in his own words the team wasn't good enough. He's just fortunate that he was surrounded by great players his whole career. The man is a crybaby. He got westhead fired cuz he wouldn't kiss his ass. He was a lousy defender. I've always believed magic was a product of the team and era he played in.

And now you can add hypocrtie to the list as well as irresponsible due to him contracting hiv in the manner he did. And I normally stay away from off the court issues but seeing as how he was forced to retire. Its relevant

Psileas
07-19-2011, 08:32 PM
That wasn't the only time magic showed that he only wanted to play with the best players. He did that during that scrimmage in 92 when he complained that the jordan led team was better than his. He stop coaching the lakers cuz in his own words the team wasn't good enough. He's just fortunate that he was surrounded by great players his whole career. The man is a crybaby. He got westhead fired cuz he wouldn't kiss his ass. He was a lousy defender. I've always believed magic was a product of the team and era he played in.

And now you can add hypocrtie to the list as well as irresponsible due to him contracting hiv in the manner he did. And I normally stay away from off the court issues but seeing as how he was forced to retire. Its relevant

There is nothing wrong with wanting to play with the best players. Only someone who puts himself over the concept of the team game wouldn't and only in an era when fans care more about players' stats than the performance of their teams is such an idea considered inferior or "cheating". Most of these "all by myself" players, not surprisingly, end up as losers who never gain wide respect. I repeat, your own man himself got bored pretty quickly of having mediocre teammates, maybe because he realized that it's not possible to dominate and have mediocre teammates and win a lot altogether. You basically penalize the ones who realize this from day 1, claiming that they are "front-runners". I say they only care about winning

I don't care about Magic the coach or Magic the sex-performer, the same way I don't care about Jordan the gambler or Jordan the GM. Magic the defender has little to do with the topic, as well. He was still better than lousy, anyway. He was widely recognised as a very good team defender and was arguably the GOAT defensive rebounding guard (defensive rebounding is never considered as a part of defense and it's not considered as a part of offense, either, but it should be considered as partially both, especially a part of defense). Honestly, if Magic was a "lousy" defender, then his era was full of lousy defenders.

catch24
07-19-2011, 08:34 PM

Where do you rank Pippen and Magic on all-time list again?

97 bulls
07-19-2011, 10:21 PM
Where do you rank Pippen and Magic on all-time list again?
Pippen top 20-23

Magic 6-8

Like I told dmavs41. Rank and talent are different things. Regardless of mmgics shortcommings, he's accomplished a lot more than pippen. Now if you were to ask me whose more talented? Id say they're. Not really different. They scored about the same and rebounded the same. Magic was the better passer obviously, but he was passing to better scorers and played in an offense that inflates stats and in an era in which defense wasn't stressed as much.

And if I was to choose between the two to build around, id choose pippen, cuz I know what he'd do with a bad supporting cast like he had in 95. Magic always struck me as a crybaby. I liken him to a female that loves you to death as long as the circumstances are right. As long as you can buy her things, drive a nice car and wine her and dine her, she's fine. But once things go wrong, shes out the door. That's how I see magic johnson.

juju151111
07-19-2011, 10:42 PM
Pippen top 20-23

Magic 6-8

Like I told dmavs41. Rank and talent are different things. Regardless of mmgics shortcommings, he's accomplished a lot more than pippen. Now if you were to ask me whose more talented? Id say they're. Not really different. They scored about the same and rebounded the same. Magic was the better passer obviously, but he was passing to better scorers and played in an offense that inflates stats and in an era in which defense wasn't stressed as much.

And if I was to choose between the two to build around, id choose pippen, cuz I know what he'd do with a bad supporting cast like he had in 95. Magic always struck me as a crybaby. I liken him to a female that loves you to death as long as the circumstances are right. As long as you can buy her things, drive a nice car and wine her and dine her, she's fine. But once things go wrong, shes out the door. That's how I see magic johnson.
Lmfao Magic>>>>Pippen. Only you would pick Pippen over a top 5 player of all time.

catch24
07-19-2011, 10:47 PM
Pippen top 20-23

Magic 6-8

But all-time rankings are correlated with individual play.

When did Magic ever quit on his team, in the postseason for that matter?

Lmfao Magic>>>>Pippen. Only you would pick Pippen over a top 5 player of all time.

He's the only bball head I've ever interacted with that would build around a sidekick than one of the greatest players ever.

97 bulls
07-20-2011, 12:36 AM
But all-time rankings are correlated with individual play.

When did Magic ever quit on his team, in the postseason for that matter?

He's the only bball head I've ever interacted with that would build around a sidekick than one of the greatest players ever.
I agree that all-time rankings are based on individual play. That's why I rank magic over pippen. But I feel magic is a pouter. If things ain't gonna go his way he's out the door. Id just stay away from that type of player. That's the way I feel. You aske, I answered. And I back up my stance with a reasonable assesment of both players.

97 bulls
07-20-2011, 12:37 AM
I'm a grown ass man dog. I don't need nobody to validate my beliefs.

LakersFan626
07-20-2011, 01:14 AM

66-16 2008-2009
61-21 2009-2010
50-32 2006-2007 and made it to NBA Finals
50-32 2005-2006

By that logic, a lot of teams would want to be "crap teams" because two consecutive 60 win seasons and an NBA Finals appearance and "crap team" just don't go together.

DMAVS41
07-20-2011, 08:02 AM
Chicago pretty much was "crap" until they got Phil and Scottie. At least as "crap" as Bron's Cavs were.

and to say it didnt look like the Cavs were going to get better is flat out false.

They had the room to get a Bosh or an Amar'e that summer. They couldn't b/c of LeBron blatantly never giving two thoughts about staying in Cleavland. Why the hell do you think Bosh laughed them off? He already knew where he and Bron were going.

If you think for a second that Bosh or Amare are choosing to live in Bron's shadow in Cleveland over going to bigger markets or better cities to live you are nuts.

The Cavs had a ton of money tied up in good but not great players.

I said the two situations were very comparable the first 5 years. After that? Not at all. The Bulls got lucky with Pippen and had a great coach in Phil. The Cavs were the opposite. They didn't get lucky at all with any move they made and their coach was average at best.

I can't believe people still think that big time free agents would be lining up to play in Cleveland. That is not how the NBA works. Hell, even the Mavs couldn't land Rashard Lewis back when he was a free agent.

The Cavs would have continued to make small moves here and there. Given the Cavs history of front office failures, they would have been the wrong moves. Lebron would wake up as a 10 year vet and the best player he ever played with would have been Big Z or Mo Williams. That is simply not good enough.

You win with stars in the NBA. MJ had his 2nd star in Pippen. It was obvious in year 6. Lebron didn't have his 2nd star. And the notion that he was getting one any time soon with the state the Cavs were in is not accurate.

Could the Cavs have won the title at some point? Of course. No doubt Lebron is capable of putting together a great run and leading an average team like Dirk did this year. Is it likely? Nope.

Its a star driven league. As Mavs fans we should know this better than most. Its not too hard to consistently win in the regular season spending a ton of money (if you have a great player like Dirk or Lebron), but it is hard to consistently win in the playoffs unless you have more than one top 15 player.

Take this year's free agents for example. Is Paul going to Cleveland over NY or the Lakers or the Magic...etc? Probably not. How about Howard or D-Will? Are they choosing the Cavs? I doubt it.

Small/bad market teams have to be built through the the draft in order to compete for titles. See the Spurs and Thunder. Outside of the Spurs, what small/bad market teams have won titles in the NBA in modern era? And how many teams have won titles without 2 elite players?

Both answers are a very small number. Ignoring that evidence is just silly.

DMAVS41
07-20-2011, 08:08 AM
66-16 2008-2009
61-21 2009-2010
50-32 2005-2006

By that logic, a lot of teams would want to be "crap teams" because two consecutive 60 win seasons and an NBA Finals appearance and "crap team" just don't go together.

Take the time to actually look at the rosters. If you really think those are elite rosters then I give up. No 2nd star. A player afraid of the moment in both Mo and Jamison. An average coach. Horrible contracts. No young players.

Can you blame Lebron a little for holding the team hostage? I guess, but all Lebron said is that he wants to win. The Cavs had 7 years to make it happen. They didn't. Mo Williams? Really? That is the answer. Sorry, thats not good enough.

If you are in a crap market like Cleveland you have to build through the draft and keep your young studs. The Cavs were horrible in the draft and let Boozer go. Then they made bone headed decision after bone headed decision building the team.

And again, the notion that Amare is picking the Cavs over the Knicks or other big name stars picking Cleveland over the best markets is insane.

The Mavericks, a team in a very nice market with an owner willing to do anything, have struggled to get any big time free agents for a long time now. It would have been a similar situation at best for Lebron. He saw a better opportunity and took it. Nothing wrong with that.

DMAVS41
07-20-2011, 08:14 AM
Pippen top 20-23

Magic 6-8

This is why subjective basketball discussions are almost impossible to have. There is never any common ground for people anymore.

The idea that just "watching the games" isn't enough to lead someone to believe that Magic was a better player than Pippen proves this.

Of course rankings are impacted by all the things you.

However, we shouldn't have to debate Pippen vs Magic as basketball players. There is a gap there and it should be obvious to anyone that watched them play.

This is why stats and some of the other things that go into rankings usually lead to better results (although titles are still way over-rated here). The idea that Pippen was a better basketball player than Magic is simply a silly conclusion.

game3524
07-20-2011, 08:26 AM
Pippen top 20-23

Magic 6-8

Now you are just talking out of your ass, Magic is the biggest matchup nightmare of all-time perhaps.

If Scottie is your franchise player, you aren't winning anything.

Mr. I'm So Rad
07-20-2011, 08:29 AM
66-16 2008-2009
61-21 2009-2010
50-32 2005-2006

No remember LeBron won all of those games by himself those teams were complete scrubs

dunksby
07-20-2011, 08:35 AM

You are a grown ass full of shit man dog.

game3524
07-20-2011, 08:49 AM
I still don't see how anyone can bitch about this. Magic made sure he would go to an organization that would put the best product out on the court. Why waste your career in Chicago, the team management was not up to par.

I bet a guy like KG would do something like this in a heartbeat if he had a 2nd chance to redo his career.

Mr. I'm So Rad
07-20-2011, 08:52 AM
I still don't see how anyone can bitch about this. Magic made sure he would go to an organization that would put the best product out on the court. Why waste your career in Chicago, the team management was not up to par.

I bet a guy like KG would do something like this in a heartbeat if he had a 2nd chance to redo his career.

Why wouldn't he just be the great leader he is and make his teammates better?

game3524
07-20-2011, 08:57 AM
Why wouldn't he just be the great leader he is and make his teammates better?

That still doesn't mean you are going to win a championship though.

Anyway you slice talent wins in the NBA.

Pinkhearts
07-20-2011, 09:44 AM
Another bunch of dumbasses in ISH. Once again showing how jocks should stay in school and learn instead.

Magic probably wanted to stay one more year in college. However the temptation to play with Kareem was too great. If he was drafted to the bulls he would have stayed one more year in school but still have to play for them.

Nothing hypocritical here. He didn't team up, he didn't force his way to any team, he just got lucky and won a coin flip. That's all.

juju151111
07-20-2011, 09:49 AM
Hey you can have a dumbass opinion all you want. The fact is Magic>>>>>>>> Pippen and Imo if someone wants to start a team with Pip first, they are freaking stupid.

pauk
07-20-2011, 10:06 AM

make that two....... i would pick pippen over magic all day......... what could magic do better? he could only pass better.... and thats because of him hogging the ball padding the assists 24-7 as a wannabee pg in a ultra mega high possession run n gun fastbreak team with ultra mega talent around him............

top 5 player of all time? lmfao....... more like top 10.... even then... its only CAREER......... not the player himself that is ranked..... what im talking about is TALENT & SKILL......... pippen was more talanted & skilled than MAGIC...........

magic may have a top 10 career......... but he does not have a top 10 talent-skill............

10 most talanted-skilled players ever:

1 oscar robertson
2 wilt chamberlain
3 jordan
4 larry bird
5 lebron james
6 kareem abdul jabbar
7 hakeem olajuwon
8 shaquille oneal
9 charles barkley
10 scottie pippen

game3524
07-20-2011, 10:12 AM
:roll:

This forum is full of morons.

No one in their right mind would take Pippen over Magic ****ing Johnson.

Lakerlove420
07-20-2011, 10:17 AM
make that two....... i would pick pippen over magic all day......... what could magic do better? he could only pass better.... and thats because of him hogging the ball padding the assists 24-7 as a wannabee pg in a ultra mega high possession run n gun fastbreak team with ultra mega talent around him............

top 5 player of all time? lmfao....... more like top 10.... even then... its only CAREER......... not the player himself that is ranked..... what im talking about is TALENT & SKILL......... pippen was more talanted & skilled than MAGIC...........

magic may have a top 10 career......... but he does not have a top 10 talent-skill............

10 most talanted-skilled players ever:

1 oscar robertson
2 wilt chamberlain
3 jordan
4 larry bird
5 lebron james
6 kareem abdul jabbar
7 hakeem olajuwon
8 shaquille oneal
9 charles barkley
10 scottie pippen

wow.. neither Kobe or Magic a top 10 most talented/skilled :roll:
Now I know you are just filled with hate.
It is affecting your decision making. You're crazy.
Magic>>Pippen Magic>>Bird
Yes I said it and yes I believe it deep down through my soul.
As I also believe that you really believe what you're saying so
bygons are bygons I guess..
But let me just say one more time
Magic>> Bird/Pippen
and Lakers>>Celtics ...so suck it.. that is a fact.
don't care how many times you try to spin it differently..

Lakerlove420
07-20-2011, 10:22 AM
Another bunch of dumbasses in ISH. Once again showing how jocks should stay in school and learn instead.

Magic probably wanted to stay one more year in college. However the temptation to play with Kareem was too great. If he was drafted to the bulls he would have stayed one more year in school but still have to play for them.

Nothing hypocritical here. He didn't team up, he didn't force his way to any team, he just got lucky and won a coin flip. That's all.

good post..

the haters be hatin' ' eh pauk

catch24
07-20-2011, 10:22 AM
I agree that all-time rankings are based on individual play. That's why I rank magic over pippen. But I feel magic is a pouter. If things ain't gonna go his way he's out the door. Id just stay away from that type of player. That's the way I feel. You aske, I answered. And I back up my stance with a reasonable assesment of both players.

If Magic is a "pouter" and would 'walk out the door if things weren't going his way' then what does that make Pippen (being the Bulls leader), who refused to comeback into a game, during the playoffs, because he wasn't involved in a play?

You gave your opinion, but it's an unusual and inconsistent one.

game3524
07-20-2011, 10:43 AM
If Magic is a "pouter" and would 'walk out the door if things weren't going his way' then what does that make Pippen (being the Bulls leader), who refused to comeback into a game, during the playoffs, because he wasn't involved in a play?

You gave your opinion, but it's an unusual and inconsistent one.

Yeah, that doesn't make any sense.

I don't ever recall Magic quitting in the middle of a playoff game because he didn't get his way.

TheFan
07-20-2011, 10:43 AM
can you blame him? i mean, the world is a business and when you commit to a NBA team or any enterprice you put your career in their hands.

Jordan committed to the Bulls and they backstabbed him at the end of his career..

its nice to show respect for the team/enterprise that gave you the opportunity, but if you can wine your way to the big company(Lakers, Microsoft, Yankees), then why not?

game3524
07-20-2011, 10:48 AM
can you blame him? i mean, the world is a business and when you commit to a NBA team or any enterprice you put your career in their hands.

Jordan committed to the Bulls and they backstabbed him at the end of his career..

its nice to show respect for the team/enterprise that gave you the opportunity, but if you can wine your way to the big company(Lakers, Microsoft, Yankees), then why not?

Exactly, that is why I don't really have a problem with it.

Just put yourself in Magic's shoes, would you rather go to a team with a legit organization like the Lakers, or would you squander 6-7 years of your career to a team like Chicago at the time period.

eliteballer
07-20-2011, 12:11 PM
It doesnt say anything about making threats, and there is a difference between a 20 year old sophomore wanting to play with the greatest player of a generation and a 26 year old in his Prime teaming up with TWO other stars and throwing parades

caliman
07-20-2011, 01:33 PM
But I feel magic is a pouter. If things ain't gonna go his way he's out the door. Id just stay away from that type of player.

Yet you would take Pippen over Magic. The same Pippen that pouted and quit in a playoff game when he was the leader of the team.

Interesting...:confusedshrug:

rodman91
07-20-2011, 02:02 PM
Pippen is overrated in ISH.

get these NETS
07-20-2011, 02:13 PM
He said this on the eve of the Finals.....against the Bulls.

If this was a different forum....somebody else would have pointed it out and mentioned the implications of him doing that.

For a sports site....surprisingly,not too many sports fans in here.....just people who espn.