PDA

View Full Version : Any "tall" people feel stereotyped?

rush
07-19-2011, 08:27 AM
First off, I'm not necessarily "tall," in terms of NBA standards. I'm 6', or 6'1 at most. Depending on your point of view, this could qualify as tall or average, or whatever.

When I used to play in San Diego, there were some really tall guys there... around 6'5, 6'8, etc.

I was pretty average, compared to those guys. And I played guard roles - PG or SG, or a swingman.

Then I moved to LA, and I started playing at a local park, where I'm frequently the tallest guy on the court. And they always pigeonhole me into playing "Center."

They're always like, "Go inside! Go inside! Post up!"

I'm pretty versatile though, so I'll post up and bang like they want, but the position I really wanna play is PG or SG. I could pretty much penetrate the defense at will and draw double/triple-teams.

But just because I'm one of the taller guys, they call me the "big man," and they just want me to bang (thankless job), when I'm looking at our PG situation and shaking my head.

Also, when I take a jump shot once in a while and I miss, people tend to call me out for it. They're always like, "What are you doing?! Get inside!" This also applies on the rare occasions that I turn the ball over.

On the flipside, the guy anointed "PG" on the team gets to turn the ball over pretty often, and he gets to chuck horrible shots all game, without anyone questioning his abilities.

BTW at San Diego, I won a 3-pt contest at my local gym, where 20-some people competed. I know it's not saying much, but I used to make it rain from that distance, and the defense would always remind their teammates, "Watch out for that guy. He can shoot."

This is in stark contrast to the new "big-man-who-can't-shoot-or-dribble" image I'm dealing with, at this new park.

A pretty extreme case of this is happening with the current league team I joined for fun (it's free). They all want me to play Center, even though we have three other guys who are around my height (and weigh more), and they're perfectly apt to play that role.

On the other hand, we have no legitimate point guard. We have a shooting guard, but the "powers that be" anointed him the "PG" of the team. The guy will rarely pass the ball, and when he does, they're terrible passes in traffic that lead to turnovers. Not only that, but he literally turns the ball over almost half the times, as he struggles to bring the ball up court. The defense likes to full-court pressure/double-team him, because they know he's not gonna pass.

My team will say, "Damn, we really need a guy who can penetrate and get into the lane." And then I'll say, "I can do that."

And then they'll say, "But we don't want you to do that. We need you inside."

But the ironic part is, I only play half the game (20 minutes out of 40), because I'm on the bench. If they really "need" my presence inside, why aren't I playing for the entirety of the game? We have others who can play Center, and I can be a far better PG than the guy we have right now. Hell, I can be a better SG than that guy as well...

That said, there are a few guys at the park with good ball IQ, who acknowledge my abilities. They'll remind people that I'm a PG to the defense, so they're alert when I drive from the top of the key. They're always like, "Screw it. Just play your game," but it's tough at times...

Rake2204
07-19-2011, 12:45 PM
At 6'3'' or 6'4'', I have experienced such a stereotype, but only once in a blue moon. I think it's been years since I've last heard someone insist I go to the post. I think it's pretty clear to most that I play where I belong.

magic14
07-19-2011, 10:54 PM
If your skills at the pg or sg are as good as you say they are and you're taller than most of the guys on the floor, it should be fairly easy to take it coast to coast off a rebound and get an easy layup. Do this a couple times and they'll see you can play a different position better.

scm5
08-03-2011, 02:36 PM
I'm only 5'11 but on the occassions I am one of the taller guys on the court, no one asks me to post up because I'm usually the best ball handler on the team.

AirTupac
08-03-2011, 02:47 PM
I'm 6'3 / 6'4 and I ****ing hate this sterotype. I'm always in a similar situation that your in except I play SG / SF but whenever I'm the tallest one, I'm forced to play in the post because everyone else is on the wing. And yes they even use "Big Man" with me.

thejumpa
08-03-2011, 05:31 PM
I'm only 6'2 but I get stereotyped into being a big man some of the time and yeah...it sucks. Seeing as I love to play ball and can't always get to play with guys who are 6'4+, I just worked on my footwork and post moves as if I was a big man. It made me more versatile and a better player. Problem solved.

But......if I don't feel like posting up, I won't. I'll get the ball and go into shooting/slashing mode and never look back.

IlliniFan
08-03-2011, 10:18 PM
Yep, I'm 6'1 or 6'2 and I'm occasionally the "tall" one on the court or the team and have to bang inside. I usually don't mind as long as I get tossed the ball every once in a while in the post. I hate when the perimeter players don't even look my way when I'm posting up. See if I throw you the ball off an offensive rebound again!

Swaggin916
08-04-2011, 02:50 AM
Well when playing pickup I play however the team needs me to play. If we clearly have people who can handle the ball or and a perimeter oriented team, then I play down low as a center type and try to get offensive boards etc and post up. If it's the other way around then I'll handle the ball if nobody else can do it effectively... Or say we have 3 perimeter guys and a guy who like to bang down low, I'll play high post and set a lot of screens. I'm comfortable with any role because I can score from anywhere on the court. that doesn't necessarily mean I'm putting in a ton of points, I just know how to and can score from any place.

people aren't going to change their game tho so you have to adjust to them. Be proactive. It's the best way to win. If your team isn't hustling much, then get on them, but hustle your ass off to make up for it. Complaints aren't going to get you anywhere. It can be thankless and irritating at times, but a lot of the times it works out. I'm always in PG mode tho and try to get the ball to people where they can be effective, but I don't have to be the PG in order to do that. Maybe you can try an approach like that and see how it works for you, cus it seems what you are doing isn't working to well or you are frustrated by it.

so in short, be versatile.

ZMonkey11
08-05-2011, 11:55 AM

This.

Look, you just moved over and started playing ball there? You aren't going to get what you want right away. You earn it. And like someone else said, IF you are as good as you say you are in your ball handling skills, people will figure it out and you will get the ball on the perimeter.

This is also the perfect opportunity to hone your skills in the post to have every aspect of the game. You could call it a blessing in disguise.

Make the best of your situation man. Accept and strive. It's all good.

JellyBean
08-05-2011, 03:44 PM
LOL!! Great post. I am always stereotyped. I am 6'5" and every pickup game I play, I am always told to hit the post. Play inside. But then the wing players can't pass me the ball in the right spots. So when I am on the wing and they are in the post, I hit them with the perfect pass. Then it is like "Oh. I will play post and you can play wing." It is so funny. But I don't mind. I grew up in the days of Magic when you played all the spots. 1-5.

millwad
08-05-2011, 04:49 PM
I'm 6'8 and I've always been tall so I've always heard people's comments..

"Oh, you're taller than the Eiffel tower"
"You must play basketball, right?"
"Can I use you as a ladder?"

When I was younger I didn't care but when I older I started to get tired so my favorite comment for all the idiots is "Don't hate just because your head barely reaches to my dick", it always work.

I'm lucky that I play basketball so I have plenty of friends being as tall as me and I play in the Swedish basketball league and on the court I'm not even considered to be that tall so I'm ok in the end of the day, lol..

rush
08-06-2011, 04:34 AM
I'm only 6'2 but I get stereotyped into being a big man some of the time and yeah...it sucks. Seeing as I love to play ball and can't always get to play with guys who are 6'4+, I just worked on my footwork and post moves as if I was a big man. It made me more versatile and a better player. Problem solved.

But......if I don't feel like posting up, I won't. I'll get the ball and go into shooting/slashing mode and never look back.

It's not that I can't post up or anything.

Like I said, I'm versatile, but I don't wanna post up and bang all the time.

I'm a basketball junkie, who likes to play almost everyday. I'm not gonna preserve myself in the long run by banging on a daily basis. I have bruises and scratches all over me, and I recently suffered a hematoma from a physical altercation that I'm still recovering from.

Anybody who plays "big" in the streets knows it's a thankless job. On offense, you're at the mercy of the ballhogging PGs and SGs, and on defense, you're yelled at to get rebounds.

rush
08-06-2011, 04:52 AM
If your skills at the pg or sg are as good as you say they are and you're taller than most of the guys on the floor, it should be fairly easy to take it coast to coast off a rebound and get an easy layup. Do this a couple times and they'll see you can play a different position better.

Even when I do this, the next time I have the ball, they'll continue to yell at me, asking for the rock. When I look at them, they'll say, "Go inside! I'll look for you!"

Of course, they never really look for you. They just want to shoot a three pointer. And second, even if they do look for you, they'll throw a really bad pass and I'll lose my position just to recover the ball.

I don't even see a reason to post up, as I can easily dribble the ball from the top of the key and get to my spot to post up, if I wanted. But most times, I can drive pretty easily.

I would say my style is probably like Baron Davis/Paul Pierce/Lamar Odom. I'm sort of a jack of all trades. I'm not CP3-esque or anything with the ball. But I can definitely handle the ball, and I have a lot of efficient go-to moves with plenty of counters.

But I think a lot of the guys on this particular park have their own agendas. If a guy that's taller than them can play point, what does that say about them? It's an insecurity complex, the way I see it.

I've never played on a court with more politicking than this place. Half the guys are cool and they know what I can do. They're fine with me playing point. The other half on the other hand are not willing to accept it.

rush
08-06-2011, 04:57 AM
Yep, I'm 6'1 or 6'2 and I'm occasionally the "tall" one on the court or the team and have to bang inside. I usually don't mind as long as I get tossed the ball every once in a while in the post. I hate when the perimeter players don't even look my way when I'm posting up. See if I throw you the ball off an offensive rebound again!

It's a thankless job.

In high level basketball, the PG is always supposed to look for the bigs. Otherwise, they're benched.

Completely different story in pickup games.

Nobody remembers the guy who gets the most rebounds. They remember the guy who scored the most baskets, regardless of whether the guy was 4 for 13. If he had the most points, he's the best player on the court. That's streetball stereotype for ya.

rush
08-06-2011, 05:00 AM
LOL!! Great post. I am always stereotyped. I am 6'5" and every pickup game I play, I am always told to hit the post. Play inside. But then the wing players can't pass me the ball in the right spots. So when I am on the wing and they are in the post, I hit them with the perfect pass. Then it is like "Oh. I will play post and you can play wing." It is so funny. But I don't mind. I grew up in the days of Magic when you played all the spots. 1-5.

You're probably playing among guys with higher ball IQ than what I'm dealing with.

At the park I'm frequenting, the guys will never post up, so that scenario can never happen. It's always, "Go inside, big man!" and "Box out! Play big!" etc etc.

rush
08-06-2011, 05:08 AM
Well when playing pickup I play however the team needs me to play. If we clearly have people who can handle the ball or and a perimeter oriented team, then I play down low as a center type and try to get offensive boards etc and post up. If it's the other way around then I'll handle the ball if nobody else can do it effectively... Or say we have 3 perimeter guys and a guy who like to bang down low, I'll play high post and set a lot of screens. I'm comfortable with any role because I can score from anywhere on the court. that doesn't necessarily mean I'm putting in a ton of points, I just know how to and can score from any place.

people aren't going to change their game tho so you have to adjust to them. Be proactive. It's the best way to win. If your team isn't hustling much, then get on them, but hustle your ass off to make up for it. Complaints aren't going to get you anywhere. It can be thankless and irritating at times, but a lot of the times it works out. I'm always in PG mode tho and try to get the ball to people where they can be effective, but I don't have to be the PG in order to do that. Maybe you can try an approach like that and see how it works for you, cus it seems what you are doing isn't working to well or you are frustrated by it.

This is my gripe, though...

The fact that I need to play the worst position in pickup basketball, regardless of anything other than the fact that I'm the tallest guy on the court.

I understand your perspective though. It's very humble and selfless. And this is how I try to play on a daily basis.

I'm just not satisfied with it, is all...

I deal with it everyday. You bust your tail grabbing boards, boxing out, posting up, defending, etc, while shorter players get to chill at the 3-pt line chucking or turning the ball over.

rush
08-06-2011, 05:10 AM
I'm 6'3 / 6'4 and I ****ing hate this sterotype. I'm always in a similar situation that your in except I play SG / SF but whenever I'm the tallest one, I'm forced to play in the post because everyone else is on the wing. And yes they even use "Big Man" with me.

Don't you love it when these short players who've never posted up in their lives, instruct you how to play "big?"

Marv_Albert
08-07-2011, 05:39 AM
I'm 6'8 and I've always been tall so I've always heard people's comments..

"Oh, you're taller than the Eiffel tower"
"You must play basketball, right?"
"Can I use you as a ladder?"

When I was younger I didn't care but when I older I started to get tired so my favorite comment for all the idiots is "Don't hate just because your head barely reaches to my dick", it always work.

I'm lucky that I play basketball so I have plenty of friends being as tall as me and I play in the Swedish basketball league and on the court I'm not even considered to be that tall so I'm ok in the end of the day, lol..

Imma start usin that line also, i'm 6'6

Swaggin916
08-07-2011, 09:52 PM
Nobody remembers the guy who gets the most rebounds. They remember the guy who scored the most baskets, regardless of whether the guy was 4 for 13. If he had the most points, he's the best player on the court. That's streetball stereotype for ya.

I beg to differ. Everybody remembers the way Rodman crashed the boards. Everyone is aware of the constant hustle/energy showed by Joakim Noah. In pickup, I always notice guys that hustle. Even if they aren't good, their hustle can change games. I always hear guys saying positive things about guys who hustle and regaurdless you are a huge pain in the ass for the other team... there are times when you are constantly working and just aren't able to get many offensive boards or make a big impact, and in that case, yes it is thankless, but the important thing is that you working hard. when you do get those boards tho, extra possessions, come up with loose balls, people really notice it... even sometimes when you don't people still notice, but it's less so. In the end you just have to ask yourself a couple questions... and the big one is "Do I really want to win and if so how can I best achieve that." For some people and maybe this is you, they go play basketball to play a certain way because that's how they want to play. Nothing wrong with that. You want to have fun playing pickup and if that's how you have fun then it is. but I know for me, I want to stay on the court, I want to win until I just don't want to play anymore... therefore I try to keep complaints to a minimum (but say things that are constructive to teammates) and work hard for the team... ya know just try to do whatever it takes. A lot of the time tho it's contagious and people feed off your energy especially if you are vocal. In the end, even if you don't win tho, if you work hard, you at least got a great workout and you build your endurance.

Accepting responsibility when others won't can be hard, but at least the ball is in your court.

Rake2204
08-09-2011, 11:05 AM
I beg to differ. Everybody remembers the way Rodman crashed the boards. Everyone is aware of the constant hustle/energy showed by Joakim Noah. In pickup, I always notice guys that hustle. Even if they aren't good, their hustle can change games. I always hear guys saying positive things about guys who hustle and regaurdless you are a huge pain in the ass for the other team... there are times when you are constantly working and just aren't able to get many offensive boards or make a big impact, and in that case, yes it is thankless, but the important thing is that you working hard. when you do get those boards tho, extra possessions, come up with loose balls, people really notice it... even sometimes when you don't people still notice, but it's less so. In the end you just have to ask yourself a couple questions... and the big one is "Do I really want to win and if so how can I best achieve that." For some people and maybe this is you, they go play basketball to play a certain way because that's how they want to play. Nothing wrong with that. You want to have fun playing pickup and if that's how you have fun then it is. but I know for me, I want to stay on the court, I want to win until I just don't want to play anymore... therefore I try to keep complaints to a minimum (but say things that are constructive to teammates) and work hard for the team... ya know just try to do whatever it takes. A lot of the time tho it's contagious and people feed off your energy especially if you are vocal. In the end, even if you don't win tho, if you work hard, you at least got a great workout and you build your endurance.

Accepting responsibility when others won't can be hard, but at least the ball is in your court.
Yeah it's a funny cycle, isn't it? The good news is that most of everything on the basketball court is fun. And I play to have fun, so winning is not the end-all. But then it's kind of hard to have fun if you can't stay on the court, right?

I figure the best course of action is to do everything possible. Of course, it's easier said than done, but that's what I try to do. Playing a "wing" shouldn't limit my ability to crash the boards or help out on defense. Well I mean, sometimes it does, because I get lazy, but I continuously tell myself to not limit what I'm supposed to do.

In regards to where players should be placed during a game, I don't think it should be dependent on size. My post game is clearly and utterly inferior to any portion of my game that takes place while facing the basket. Therefore, there aren't going to be many scenarios where it's going to make sense to throw me down low to body up and shoot drop step hook shots or fallaways. Even when there's a height mismatch, I've got a better chance of hitting a pullup 15 footer over the shorter defender than I do of being able to properly handle my business in the post. It's a shortcoming in my game, but I acknowledge it, and everyone else seems to understand it just as well. Even when I'm guarding a post player on the other end, people do not expect me to return the favor on offense (by posting them up). I think people tend to know where I can succeed, and it's not in the post.

JohnnySic
08-11-2011, 02:33 PM
I'm 6'2" and I've always played the post. Meanwhile, 95% of everyone else wants to play facing the basket, irregardless of height. Weak.

Sakkreth
08-12-2011, 06:54 PM
I am 6'2 it's actually really simple for me, where I play everybody knows me, there usually are atleast some taller players than me. I am always main ball handler, and that role fits me well, I am good passer, good pick n roll player, and good 1v1 (tbh best player out there, yeseveryone agrees with that)but i really struggle offball. On defense i usually just pick the best player, unless he's really short. I can defend taller guys than me no problem, I have long arms and good vert.

I understand that it's stupid to force stuff to do at which you are not good on court.

Swaggin916
08-17-2011, 01:27 AM
If you are good off the ball you can get some really easy buckets and wide open shots... it's an ability you definitely want to have in addition be good with the ball.

RobertdeMeijer
08-19-2011, 06:07 AM
I'm 6'3'' (190 cm) and I'm usually one of the taller guys.

And I love playing the post and defending tall guys. I love the physical aspect of it. I love setting screens and boxing out.

Honestly, I don't like handling the ball : P
I care too much about efficiency to put my butterfingers to the test.
Also, I have like five foot range.

In short: I'm glad when I'm stereotyped, because then I can play my favorite position.

KGMN
08-19-2011, 12:44 PM
Sometimes happens to me, at 6'0''. I don't really mind because I like to play center, although playing point guard is oftentimes more fun to play. I just play whatever position I have to play, and I don't especially care as I just like to play basketball. I'll play PG, SG, SF, PF, or C, it doesn't matter much to me.

Heat1011
08-20-2011, 12:09 PM
I'm only 5'11", and I rarely get that play in the post comment

Do some work on the perimeter, then bang your way in the post, just do it anyways, make them all pay. It's still retar ded how you're the best ball handler yet they don't let the best ball handler handle the ball

Dizzle-2k7
08-22-2011, 01:44 PM
**** em and get yours .end of story. these guys arent your friends. not your family. not your loved ones. they are random dudes you play with at a park. if you wanna create off the dribble, or shoot a 3, or whatever, do it.

i know that feel bro, big time.. best advice:

hit the boards hard. if you grab a board, dont look for a teammate, if its a defensive rebound, bring the ball up and try to create. if its a offensive rebound, do whatever the **** you want because YOU EARNED THAT BOARD BABY.

Rake2204
08-23-2011, 10:11 AM
hit the boards hard. if you grab a board, dont look for a teammate, if its a defensive rebound, bring the ball up and try to create. if its a offensive rebound, do whatever the **** you want because YOU EARNED THAT BOARD BABY.
Right on. Sometimes I fall into that void of leaking out during defensive board opportunities and "dropping back" during offensive board opportunities. I need to consciously remind myself to get on the boards because my rebounding keys the entire game. My favorite thing about defensive boards is the fact that it allows me to get out and push the tempo as I see fit. I hate when a rebound is grabbed and it's followed by an unnecessary clear out and hesitation before an outlet man is hit. I love boarding and forcing others to match my pace.

Meanwhile, my secret motivation for attacking the offensive boards is the rare possibility of a ball coming off the rim just right, allowing for a tip slam. As a byproduct, attacking the offensive boards those other 49 out of 50 times I don't tip dunk makes me more of a threat.

realhoops
08-25-2011, 10:37 AM
I'm 6'2 and more of a shooter but whenever I play I always end up having to go in the post or not be given the ball.

01amberfirewv
08-25-2011, 11:07 AM
I have to say I am one of the stereo typers. I'm 5'9" with short arms and I play with 15-20 guys every week and two or three of those guys are domanant rebounders. We have several guys who are over 6'4" and were gaurds in highschool. The problem is when these guys play gaurd its pretty hard to win because the other teams out rebound and end up getting lots of points off rebounds

Swaggin916
08-27-2011, 03:33 AM
I have to say I am one of the stereo typers. I'm 5'9" with short arms and I play with 15-20 guys every week and two or three of those guys are domanant rebounders. We have several guys who are over 6'4" and were gaurds in highschool. The problem is when these guys play gaurd its pretty hard to win because the other teams out rebound and end up getting lots of points off rebounds

It just takes a lot of effort to keep those guys off the boards. constant boxing out. It's the only way. and boxing out far from the rim. If you are anywhere near the rim, any long board will sail right over your head if you aren't like 6'3 or taller.

clipps
09-05-2011, 05:46 AM
Im 6'1 190(in shape) and considered "tall" against the people I normally play. They've seen me play and know that I can dribble and shoot so I never get that problem. It's to the point to where they tell me to stay behind the 3 point line. It's when I play with strangers I get that problem. And everytime, the ppl under 5'8" who are "phenomenal PG's that can shoot" will turn the ball over constantly and shoot horrid jumpers whenever they manage to not turn it over. To remedy that, I just wait till I grab a defensive rebound and go coast to coast and pull up for an NBA range 3 and hit nothing but net. I'll do it about 2 more times to prove that my shot wasn't a fluke, and sometimes, they still tell me to get inside and post up and hog the ball.

magnax1
09-09-2011, 02:46 AM
I get that all the time. I'm better inside anyway, but it's kind of useless when you don't have guys that are willing to dump it down to you. So often times, I take the ball up myself if I get the rebound. I'm 6'4 by the way.

Pushxx
10-15-2011, 06:38 PM
I'm a 6' PG, so I'm usually one of the the shortest guys on the court.

Either way I work out of the post sometimes anyway, so I don't mind doing my thing down there if I'm one of the taller people every once in a while.

I do feel for taller guys that get stereotyped. Despite this, the best b-ball players I play with are the 6'5 Dirk Nowitzki types. They score at will. They can shoot over people who are quick enough to guard them or they drive past anyone as tall as them.

Whenever I beat my man off the dribble I'm always looking to make the pass down low to the bigs. I rarely pass out on the perimeter.

percolator
12-16-2011, 12:59 AM
It does bother me when the tallest guys on the court want to play on the wing or run the point, tbh. A couple of times sure, mix it up, but every time down the court? You have a clear advantage and aren't using it. Odds are that's not the best way to help your team. And really, having and displaying versatility like that is far more impressive than showing off your wing skills.

I have a friend who's a 6-4, 6-5 jumpshooter, a really good jumpshooter.....but sometimes I just want to grab him like, "GO INSIDE, YOU'VE GOT GOT 3 INCHES ON YOUR MAN!"

Another friend who's like 6-3 and is usually one of the best shooters and ballhandlers on the court, but when he's got a smaller guy on him he goes to the block everytime and shoots right over him. That's the right way to play IMO

Rake2204
12-16-2011, 11:43 AM
It does bother me when the tallest guys on the court want to play on the wing or run the point, tbh. A couple of times sure, mix it up, but every time down the court? You have a clear advantage and aren't using it. Odds are that's not the best way to help your team. And really, having and displaying versatility like that is far more impressive than showing off your wing skills.

I have a friend who's a 6-4, 6-5 jumpshooter, a really good jumpshooter.....but sometimes I just want to grab him like, "GO INSIDE, YOU'VE GOT GOT 3 INCHES ON YOUR MAN!"

Another friend who's like 6-3 and is usually one of the best shooters and ballhandlers on the court, but when he's got a smaller guy on him he goes to the block everytime and shoots right over him. That's the right way to play IMO
At 6'3''-6'4'' I've haven't found perfecting play in the post to be a good allocation of practice time post-high school. And yes, that's a clear fault in my game. I could surely find some time to develop my post game, but I've just never been convinced of when I'd actually use it.

In my case, I feel posting up would nullify a lot of the advantages I house to begin with. Against similarly sized opponents, I'd likely get out-muscled down low (I weigh 170 pounds). The likelihood of me gaining a step on them from the perimeter far exceeds the chance of me being productive in the post.

Further, even when being guarded by a smaller opponent, attempting to post up each time down the floor just seems to complicate the process. Suddenly, my ability to perform hinges on a teammate's willingness to deliver an accurate post entry and my opponent's collective willingness to collapse like banshees and hack the bejesus out of me if I happen to make a solid post maneuver. I'd be ten times more effective against an undersized defender by creating separation and facing him up from 15-17 feet. I've found it's much easier to finish under duress (and harder for the opposing team to effectively foul me) when I'm coming into the paint with a running start, as opposed to after completing a drop step in the post.

And to be clear, I'll readily admit I'd be best-served if I was able to be effective out of the post as well as in the post. However, 6'3'', to me, is clearly a guard size. I'm not gumpy, I'm not uncoordinated, I'm not slow, I'm not awkward, and I can jump a little. That's not to say those qualities are only found in post players. Rather, I'm saying why limit myself to trying to post my man up all game and attempting to utilize portions of my game that are weaker than the rest? What's better than an aggressive and skilled 5'11'' guard? I'd say an aggressive and skilled 6'3'' guard. I guess what I'm saying is my speed, shooting, handling, and ability to slash are my advantages, so I use them.

All that said, I totally agree it's in every player's best interest to be as versatile as possible, so my infantile post game is a clear shortcoming in my ability.

NotYetGreat
12-17-2011, 06:37 AM
Yeah, I get this a lot, although since my country's a very short one, it doesn't go totally without reason. However, I do get pissed when I'm playing in the university gym with some team B players or human kinetics majors who are taller than me and they STILL put me in the middle, as if they're too scared to scratch and claw in the paint. I may be still one of the taller ones, but dayum, I'm not the tall, awkward, "no-handles" (semi-)big. :oldlol:

Pushxx
12-18-2011, 05:00 AM
It does bother me when the tallest guys on the court want to play on the wing or run the point, tbh. A couple of times sure, mix it up, but every time down the court? You have a clear advantage and aren't using it.

I feel you for sure, but there's nothing we all hate more than someone who tries to do something they aren't good at on the court. :banghead:

I think it bothers us that people aren't using a height advantage because we'd all like to have that extra height ourselves to use.

Ai2death
12-20-2011, 11:54 PM
i'm 5'7, im a combo guard, i am usually one of the shorter players, but im more lke baron davis. I am uniquely solid and strong for my size and often post up and box out much taller players. You'd be surprised how many over the back fouls i draw :D I dont rely on height at all, but use an array of fakes and turn arounds and up and unders to get to the rim :) Also having a strong core is a must.

@RUSH it sounds to be like your playing with a bunch of douchbags. I recognize people skills very quickly, if i know you can hit the shots, id be looking for you, even with some dribble penitration dishouts, then setting the screen for the open J