PDA

View Full Version : Average IQ of NBA players?

JP275
07-19-2011, 09:59 PM
I know there have been posts about players' SAT scores and purported intelligence. I was just wondering what you guys thought was the average IQ score in the league.

Over 100?
Under 100?
100? (Average)

Remember, many of the players went to college for multiple years. Also remember that IQ is based on a bell-curve, meaning the median score of all IQ tests is set at 100, and your personal score relative to others represents your IQ.

Hopefully this thread won't be full of "NBA player are idiots" posts, but we'll see. (I'm not taking a stance; I just hope that there are good discussions)

imlmf
07-19-2011, 10:06 PM

Peteballa
07-19-2011, 10:06 PM
Over 9000

d.bball.guy
07-19-2011, 10:17 PM
63?

Positive
07-19-2011, 10:31 PM
It's definitely below average. There's no link between BBIQ and actual IQ, and from what I've seen the majority of people in the league are retarded. For example, KG is said to have a pretty good BBIQ but judging from his speech and inability to pass the SATs means he has a below average regular IQ. There are some that seem reasonably intelligent, but I think guys like JR Smith really outnumber guys like Grant Hill.

To whomever said that these basketball players have spent multiple years in college, have you ever seen what half these guys do in college? They get the easiest degrees and are placed in the easiest classes with the easiest professors. Their "degrees" mean jack shit I guarantee most of them can't even read at a high school freshman level.

JP275
07-19-2011, 10:51 PM
It's definitely below average. There's no link between BBIQ and actual IQ, and from what I've seen the majority of people in the league are retarded. For example, KG is said to have a pretty good BBIQ but judging from his speech and inability to pass the SATs means he has a below average regular IQ. There are some that seem reasonably intelligent, but I think guys like JR Smith really outnumber guys like Grant Hill.

To whomever said that these basketball players have spent multiple years in college, have you ever seen what half these guys do in college? They get the easiest degrees and are placed in the easiest classes with the easiest professors. Their "degrees" mean jack shit I guarantee most of them can't even read at a high school freshman level.

Good point. I actually forgot to put the "quality" of the players' college education as a qualifier to the previous statement.

Jasper
07-19-2011, 11:25 PM
my guess would be '3'

here is why :

likes to shoot the 3 ball.
likes to have 3 rides before he enters the league
likes to have 3 houses , 2 the wife knows about and the 3rd for his harem
likes to have 3 hot rods
likes to have 3 lux rides
likes 3 honeys 1 wife and 2 gf's one on the east coast one on the west coast
likes 3 agents (1 after college , 1 after rook contract , 1 for killer retirement contract)
likes 3 rings (1 as my first) 2 as cred for HOF
likes 3 names (if the name has enough cred , then 3 nicknames) 1 going into the league , 1 in the league and 1 as a retiree.
likes 3 numbers (high school , college [euro ball] and one in the league that looks good in the HOF)
likes 3 shoe contracts (1 out of college , or HS) 1 as a pro , and 1 headed to the HOF
likes 3 personal trainers (1 for the rook workouts) 1 as a seasoned pro and 1 lady PT for when his 3 honeys aren't available.

It just seems like 3 is the number :confusedshrug:

LT Ice Cream
07-19-2011, 11:37 PM
Wade was denied entry at Marquette for his first semester because he didn't possess 7th grade math skills.

Suckafree
07-19-2011, 11:38 PM
Over 9000

aware

DixieNourmous
07-19-2011, 11:38 PM
Pre Bron = 104
Now = 51
:lol

Laimbeer_Rodman
07-20-2011, 05:04 AM
IQ and education are two different things

therammingman
07-20-2011, 05:46 AM
Wade was denied entry at Marquette for his first semester because he didn't possess 7th grade math skills.

pretty sure the guy in your sig drops the bar VEEEERRRYYY low.

Inactive
07-20-2011, 08:27 AM
It's definitely below average. There's no link between BBIQ and actual IQYes, there is. [QUOTE]Fluid Intelligence (Gf): includes the broad ability to reason, form concepts, and solve problems using unfamiliar information or novel procedures.
Crystallized Intelligence (Gc): includes the breadth and depth of a person's acquired knowledge, the ability to communicate one's knowledge, and the ability to reason using previously learned experiences or procedures.
Quantitative Reasoning (Gq): the ability to comprehend quantitative concepts and relationships and to manipulate numerical symbols.
Reading & Writing Ability (Grw): includes basic reading and writing skills.
Short-Term Memory (Gsm): is the ability to apprehend and hold information in immediate awareness and then use it within a few seconds.
Long-Term Storage and Retrieval (Glr): is the ability to store information and fluently retrieve it later in the process of thinking.
Visual Processing (Gv): is the ability to perceive, analyze, synthesize, and think with visual patterns, including the ability to store and recall visual representations.
Auditory Processing (Ga): is the ability to analyze, synthesize, and discriminate auditory stimuli, including the ability to process and discriminate speech sounds that may be presented under distorted conditions.
Processing Speed (Gs): is the ability to perform automatic cognitive tasks, particularly when measured under pressure to maintain focused attention.
Decision/Reaction Time/Speed (Gt): reflect the immediacy with which an individual can react to stimuli or a task (typically measured in seconds or fractions of seconds; not to be confused with Gs, which typically is measured in intervals of 2

gigantes
07-20-2011, 08:36 AM
...I was just wondering what you guys thought was the average IQ score in the league.

Over 100?
Under 100?
100? (Average)
interesting discussion, and a lot more complicated than meets the eye IMO.

first of all, i think it's very safe to say that the average NBA player will test out with a below average IQ. i think it's also very safe to say that the average NBA athlete is a black man who comes from an economically and educationally disadvantaged background, and that's a group who typically test below average on IQ tests.

now if you wanted to estimate an actual number, you might find out what the average SAT scores for NBA players are and then plug them in to this type of convertor site (http://www.iqcomparisonsite.com/GREIQ.aspx), which will spit out an IQ number in return.

but my problem with the result is this: the black NBA player who comes from an economically and educationally-deprived background has MANY VALID REASONS to avoid achieving representative SAT scores, and similarly, IQ scores. in fact there's even a kind of negative reinforcement taking place, if you know what i mean.

skipping further along, i think the real issue is not an IQ issue. that's always been a false lead IMO. i think the real issue is more complicated, and has to do with a clash of cultures, particularly a long-standing resentment against the establishment and a strong resistance towards achieving and behaving to meet other people's standards.

EDIT: ^ really interesting post, inactive. ^

dunksby
07-20-2011, 08:37 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=56GL0ayF9Fs

winwin
07-20-2011, 08:58 AM
Pre Bron = 104
Now = 51
:oldlol:

07-20-2011, 09:31 AM

Actually they're pretty linked, considering IQ is a test of KNOWLEDGE and highly educated individuals tend to be pretty KNOWLEDGEABLE.

Did you mean intellect? :confusedshrug:

gigantes
07-20-2011, 09:42 AM
Actually they're pretty linked, considering IQ is a test of KNOWLEDGE and highly educated individuals tend to be pretty KNOWLEDGEABLE.
an IQ test is much more than just a test of knowledge. WP it...

bagelred
07-20-2011, 09:46 AM

An IQ test is not a test of knowledge. It is a test of critical thinking abilities.

Black people score the lowest in IQ. So I would have to say the average IQ of the league would be consistent with the racial makeup of the league, which would be below average.

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_4ify7vDXrDs/R1HljHAlzpI/AAAAAAAABTw/OlKaZOqUClA/s1600-R/iq-test.eu.png

http://alfin2100.blogspot.com/2007/12/iq-and-race-why-excitement.html

Godzuki
07-20-2011, 10:18 AM
i think if you asked the NBA what the square root of 9 is 95% of them wouldn't know.

Lucifer
07-20-2011, 10:21 AM
I gurantee LeBron's is below average. No one in their right mind will continuously say and do the dumb $hit he does.

Laimbeer_Rodman
07-20-2011, 10:30 AM
i think if you asked the NBA what the square root of 9 is 95% of them wouldn't know.
If A.Einstein had wasted his youth on the court and with the chicks he wouldn't know it either.

Actually they're pretty linked, considering IQ is a test of KNOWLEDGE and highly educated individuals tend to be pretty KNOWLEDGEABLE
No it's not
http://www.iqtest.com/whatisaniqscore.html

Rolando
07-20-2011, 10:36 AM
IQ is a measure of how quickly you learn.

There are no perfectly accurate tests for this.

By definition the average IQ for any group is 100 when only comparing individuals within that group.

Inactive
07-20-2011, 10:47 AM
IQ is a measure of how quickly you learn.
No, it's not.

Orlando Magic
07-20-2011, 10:49 AM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Intelligence_quotient

Read and learn, ******s.

jstern
07-20-2011, 11:04 AM
This. Some people don't realize that IQ is something that a person is born with, and has nothing to do with school grades. A person with a low IQ can still get high grades in school simply by spending more time memorizing the work. Memorization does not = IQ. A moron who has an easier time sitting down for hours on end, and have not much worry in the world can easily get higher grades than a bright an active person who has too much on his head, and has trouble focusing completely for hours on stuff that they're being forced to learn. Remember, real IQ tests are not math problems on an internet IQ tests. They're very involved an require a professional to give it to you.

And I'm very familiar with the intelligence level of people with a 100 IQ and I just don't think they would be smart enough to make it to the NBA.

A person with a not so high IQ would judge the intelligence level of others based on their accent, and the way they speak, rather than their ability to solve problems and come up with a solution, etc. And when thousands of people are competing with you to make it to the NBA, intelligence makes all the difference in the world.

There are exceptions, like for players who are really big and tall, centers, in general you don't have to be the brightest most skilled, since they aren't that many people in the world that have those qualities.

IQ tests test problem solving, and other involved things. Knowledge things you memorized in school have little to do with it, except for some general knowledge to see how aware you of your environment, if you picked up things that generally you should know.

OKC Adonis
07-20-2011, 11:04 AM
As a very GENERAL rule, people with high IQ also tend to be better educated.

Not because its a test of knowledge, but because people with higher IQ tend to value education more and do better in school.

But thats a very broad generalization.

gigantes
07-20-2011, 11:32 AM
And I'm very familiar with the intelligence level of people with a 100 IQ and I just don't think they would be smart enough to make it to the NBA.
excuse, please... what?

IQ tests test problem solving, and other involved things. Knowledge things you memorized in school have little to do with it, except for some general knowledge to see how aware you of your environment, if you picked up things that generally you should know.
when i took a wechsler II test 10 years ago i was also queried on some eclectic facts. one i remember because i got it wrong was "what is the speed of light?" i answered 186,000 miles per hour, when it should have been "per second."

so, yea... standard IQ tests DO have a knowledge component, and some of the knowledge is a little obscure to most people. for example, higher-level vocabulary. if you don't know the word, your chances will suffer at the verbal area... even though that's not strictly a test of knowledge.

mentallooser
07-20-2011, 12:19 PM
Over 9000
Dudes have crazy Power Levels. Easily better than Nappa. I don't think Nappa would even beat the Yamchas of today's basketball.

OmniStrife
07-20-2011, 01:40 PM
Higher than the average IQ of NFL players.

Positive
07-20-2011, 08:42 PM
Yes, there is. Gf, Gsm, Gv, Gs, and Gt are clearly extremely important for any athlete. Ga, and Gc can also be important, under certain circumstances.

Not really. Speech primarily comes down to 3 factors. Motor skills (not going to be a pro athlete with poor motor skills), crystallized intelligence(primarily for vocabulary, maybe a little bit for grammar), and most importantly culture. If you never bother to learn proper English, you will probably end up speaking the way that the people around you speak, regardless of your intelligence.

SAT performance is probably pretty strongly correlated with intelligence, but if you don't bother to learn the requisite curricula, you will fail, regardless of your cognitive abilities. Lack of motivation can hamper your performance as much as any cognitive deficit.

I think you're confusing social prejudices about language, and demeanor, with actual cognitive ability.

Good stuff man, looks like I was definitely wrong.

However, I'm not sure I completely agree with the last part, there's definitely a link between the two.

KGMN
07-20-2011, 10:19 PM

Is? Don't you mean "are"?

Butters
07-20-2011, 10:25 PM
Is? Don't you mean "are"?

:facepalm

Anyway,whats the IQ of the average high school freshman?My vote is what ever that number is.

Kevin_Gamble
07-20-2011, 10:46 PM

Anyway,whats the IQ of the average high school freshman?My vote is what ever that number is.
Higher than yours, and lower than the avg. NBA player's.

Jameerthefear
07-20-2011, 10:47 PM
Higher than yours, and lower than the avg. NBA player's.

tpols
07-20-2011, 11:00 PM
Yea, but being in school exercises your brain and actually puts whatever intelligence you have to use. It's like, if you're born with a lot denser muscle fibers you'll have a high potential ability to be very big/strong, but if you never work out, you wont ever capitilize on it. In school you are forced to exercise your problem solving and conceptual abilities all the time.. Like for instance, a lot of elementary school is spent teaching kids how to, in their heads, perform basic multiplication and division problems and a lot of IQ tests test how quickly you can perform those exact calculations in your head. Teachers will tell you to read a article and then thoroughly explain in and how it relates to the class material.. Things like that make you a better reasoner and allow you to analyze things better and quicker[the more you do it].

The more you use your brain, the better you get at using it[although it wont necessarily make you smarter than someone who is naturally more intelligent than you]. School definitely impacts how well a person can score on an IQ test.. the people who make them and other tests of intelligence[like the SATs are shown as] all come from heavily educated backgrounds.

Euroleague
07-21-2011, 06:01 AM
The average IQ worldwide is 100 (really just the median standard).

50% of the population has an IQ between 100-115, worldwide.

The average IQ in the USA is 83.

In the USA, blacks and non-white "Hispanics" have IQs that are lower than that on average.

Taking 100 as the average IQ for this topic is NOT accurate. Because these are mostly black Americans. The average IQ of that group is far less than 100.

Euroleague
07-21-2011, 06:09 AM
Yea, but being in school exercises your brain and actually puts whatever intelligence you have to use. It's like, if you're born with a lot denser muscle fibers you'll have a high potential ability to be very big/strong, but if you never work out, you wont ever capitilize on it. In school you are forced to exercise your problem solving and conceptual abilities all the time.. Like for instance, a lot of elementary school is spent teaching kids how to, in their heads, perform basic multiplication and division problems and a lot of IQ tests test how quickly you can perform those exact calculations in your head. Teachers will tell you to read a article and then thoroughly explain in and how it relates to the class material.. Things like that make you a better reasoner and allow you to analyze things better and quicker[the more you do it].

The more you use your brain, the better you get at using it[although it wont necessarily make you smarter than someone who is naturally more intelligent than you]. School definitely impacts how well a person can score on an IQ test.. the people who make them and other tests of intelligence[like the SATs are shown as] all come from heavily educated backgrounds.

What you just described is social behavioral engineering that is specifically designed to make you stupid.

Stuckey
07-21-2011, 06:26 AM
i would guess under 90

Psileas
07-21-2011, 09:32 AM

Not quite. According to the bell curve, if this was true, then the other 50% of the population should have an IQ of 85-100. Actually, only 68% of the global population has an IQ ranging between 85 and 115 (or between 84 and 116 for SD16).

83? Links or it doesn't happen. An average IQ of 83 would mean that only around 18% of the USA population would have an IQ of 100+. That's not the IQ of a world leading country and, no, the big population isn't enough to turn the tables - India (with an average IQ actually much closer to 83 than the USA) is much larger still and it's not nearly the power the USA is.

http://perdurabo10.tripod.com/id1048.html
http://www.sq.4mg.com/NationIQ.htm

Here's what an IQ of about 88 is like:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mJ3aRPc1FJc&feature=channel_video_title

Eat Like A Bosh
07-21-2011, 10:42 AM
Not as high as you think.

knickswin
07-21-2011, 10:50 AM
The average IQ worldwide is 100 (really just the median standard).

In the USA, blacks and non-white "Hispanics" have IQs that are lower than that on average.

Taking 100 as the average IQ for this topic is NOT accurate. Because these are mostly black Americans. The average IQ of that group is far less than 100.

The US's average IQ is not a standard deviation lower than that of the world, give me a break.

72-10
10-12-2022, 11:49 PM

Spurs m8
10-12-2022, 11:50 PM
LeBarry in the 70s

We've all seen him type and speak...

SATAN
10-12-2022, 11:56 PM
LeBarry in the 70s

We've all seen him type and speak...

What's that say about you then? :oldlol:

1987_Lakers
10-12-2022, 11:58 PM
What's that say about you then? :oldlol:

:lebronamazed:

http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/showthread.php?493227-Its-Official-Dumbest-thing-EVER-said-on-ISH

:roll:

SATAN
10-13-2022, 12:04 AM
:lebronamazed:

http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/showthread.php?493227-Its-Official-Dumbest-thing-EVER-said-on-ISH

:roll:

Man how embarrassing :lol

Round Mound
10-13-2022, 01:24 AM
Who cares about the IQ of anyone more important is to have similar hearts.

Jasper
10-13-2022, 11:13 AM
Higher than the average IQ of NFL players.

no brainer

FultzNationRISE
10-13-2022, 12:40 PM
It’s difficult to say because Lebron is a freakishly high IQ outlier who unilaterally skews the league average upward.

Usually one individual wouldnt have a big statistical influence on a sample size of 300 players or more, but in Lebron’s case, when he retires the league wide average will drop by about 50 points.

3ba11
10-13-2022, 01:07 PM
Low basketball IQ is getting taught a basketball lesson like the 2014 Heat, who were a low assist team that got massively out-assisted and "out-branded" by the Spurs.

Furthermore, if you always need more supporting talent (more help) to offset bad teammate fits and weak chemistry, then you're low IQ ball player that relies on talent..

Another example of low IQ would be having the on-paper, talent favorite (preseason favorite) but underachieving this talent expectation by falling to underdog or loser every year..

The Heat fell from preseason favorite to Finals underdog or loser from 2011-2014 except the Ray Allen miracle.. Then the Cavs fell from preseason favorite to Finals underdog or loser in 15' and 16'.. Then the Lakers lost as the preseason favorite in 21' and 22'