PDA

View Full Version : Players Top Ten Vertical Leap

15yearmagicfan
07-20-2011, 05:06 PM
http://bleacherreport.com/articles/467751-michael-jordan-dominates-the-vertical-jump-wherersquos-carter-and-kobe

Pretty cool, good read.

Michael Jordan "stomps the yard" when it comes to the highest vertical leap in NBA history. No wonder he was able to put basketball fans on the edge of their seats, holding their collective breadths, as he flew through the air. Just how high was Air Jordan's vertical leap? Where do other great NBA stars rank in this category while compared to His Airness?

asdf1990
07-20-2011, 05:23 PM
I heard wilts vertical was like 70 inches or something.

Rowe
07-20-2011, 05:24 PM
http://bleacherreport.com/articles/467751-michael-jordan-dominates-the-vertical-jump-wherersquos-carter-and-kobe

Pretty cool, good read.

The whole list is a joke.

David Thompson has the highest vertical in the NBA, ever.

Ikill
07-20-2011, 05:25 PM
I don't think Lebron has a 44 inch vertical or Jordan has a 48 inch vertical i would say max 42 for both.

tpols
07-20-2011, 05:35 PM
Jordan does not have a 48 inch vertical leap and his head wasn't ever a full 6 inches above the rim[that would mean he would be able to pretty much bite the rim without tilting his head upwards].

The list also says that Carmelo Anthony is a better leaper than Wade and Kobe, which is a joke to anyone who has seen all three of them in their prime.. we have seen Kobe and Wade throw down way more vicious/athletic dunks than Anthony.

knickswin
07-20-2011, 05:37 PM
I heard wilts vertical was like 70 inches or something.

you heard wrong. He'd be diving into the basket if that were true. I've watched as much Wilt Chamberlain as I could and he was a very athletic, very mobile 7 footer but there's no way he had such a mythical vertical. In fact there's no way he had Lebron's or Derrick Rose's verticals. Somewhere around 30-35" would be my guess. That's very good for a 7 footer.

DuMa
07-20-2011, 05:47 PM
Bernard King really one the best leapers the game has ever seen?

verylegit
07-20-2011, 05:48 PM
a high vertical leap is good, but better when coupled with being explosive i.e derrick rose,amar'e, lebron...

knickswin
07-20-2011, 05:52 PM
a high vertical leap is good, but better when coupled with being explosive i.e derrick rose,amar'e, lebron...

this is true. Amar'e actually doesn't have a very high vertical, in fact it wasn't even that high before the knee surgery, but because he can get off the floor in no time he's a great dunker. I think that's why Amar'e is a better dunker than guys like Tyson Chandler who have to load up more to get off the ground.

Rose and Lebron get off the ground quick and have high verticals which makes them crazy good dunkers.

Laimbeer_Rodman
07-20-2011, 06:04 PM
Jordan does not have a 48 inch vertical leap

You are probably wright but how can you be so sure?
Have you attended his vertical leap measurement?

verylegit
07-20-2011, 06:04 PM
this is true. Amar'e actually doesn't have a very high vertical, in fact it wasn't even that high before the knee surgery, but because he can get off the floor in no time he's a great dunker. I think that's why Amar'e is a better dunker than guys like Tyson Chandler who have to load up more to get off the ground.

Rose and Lebron get off the ground quick and have high verticals which makes them crazy good dunkers. i thought it was 42 pre surgery? the real crazy thing is he was even more explosive before the surgery, still remains explosive though.

verylegit
07-20-2011, 06:05 PM
You are probably wright but how can you be so sure?
Have you attended his vertical leap measurement? :oldlol:

Ikill
07-20-2011, 06:06 PM
i thought it was 42 pre surgery? the real crazy thing is he was even more explosive before the surgery, still remains explosive though.
It was 36 in his rookie year i don't know it might of improved

verylegit
07-20-2011, 06:09 PM
It was 36 in his rookie year i don't know it might of improved
wow you're right....fcking incredible. i thought dude was over 40 for sure.

knickswin
07-20-2011, 06:13 PM
i thought it was 42 pre surgery? the real crazy thing is he was even more explosive before the surgery, still remains explosive though.

eh, 42 inches would mean his head would be very close to the rim and even in the dunk contests he attended that was never going on. Doesn't really matter though, he was still an absolute monster up until that knee surgery.

I think a big reason Amar'e could come back strong after his surgery was that a lot of the subtler aspects of his athleticism were not lost. He doesn't get off the ground particularly high anymore, but he still probably has the quickest first step out of any big man in the league and he still has great body control. He also has big hands which means he doesn't have to get up as high to dunk and can focus more of his momentum toward getting to the rim rather than getting up.

15yearmagicfan
07-20-2011, 06:25 PM
Wing span plays a huge part in how high obviously. Tmac had like a 7 footer wing span. THis list is purely vertical leap. Of course a lot of it is debatable.

KevinNYC
07-20-2011, 06:38 PM
The whole list is a joke.

David Thompson has the highest vertical in the NBA, ever.

Bleacher Report is absolute garbage for any sort of authoritative information. I haven't looked yet, but let me guess, you have to click through a slideshow.

Yup. Of course. They know that people love lists, so they create 4 and 5 a week. Of course, if you knew shit about sports, you wouldn't work for bleacherreport.

In terms of NBA leapers, Jordan was able to "hang" in the air more than any player I'ver ever seen. Physics says that the only way to do that is the jump higher. I think part of it was his exceptional body control that allowed him to do multiple things in the air or wait until the last moment to do what he wanted to do. Dr. J had that too, but not to the extent that Jordan did. I wouldn't be surprised if Jordan on occasion hit 48 inches. I haven't seen too much of David Thompson, but from what I have seen he wasn't able to do the things in the air that Jordan did.

knightfall88
07-20-2011, 06:41 PM
Tmac and Jordan is bullshit. Funny Vince at 43 getting outjumped by almost everyone on the list. Absolute garbage list

Ikill
07-20-2011, 06:43 PM
eh, 42 inches would mean his head would be very close to the rim and even in the dunk contests he attended that was never going on. Doesn't really matter though, he was still an absolute monster up until that knee surgery.

I think a big reason Amar'e could come back strong after his surgery was that a lot of the subtler aspects of his athleticism were not lost. He doesn't get off the ground particularly high anymore, but he still probably has the quickest first step out of any big man in the league and he still has great body control. He also has big hands which means he doesn't have to get up as high to dunk and can focus more of his momentum toward getting to the rim rather than getting up.
he's 6'10 that would mean he needs a 38 inch vertical

Rnbizzle
07-20-2011, 06:46 PM
Shannon Brown's vertical is probably the greatest in the league right now.. does that make him a great player? nah..

Fun to watch at times though. :lol

KevinNYC
07-20-2011, 06:53 PM
and the writer of the article has never heard of Darrell Griffith

Bottom Line: Never heard of this dude, but a 4 foot (48") vertical leap puts him on the freaking moon! His vertical leap is as high as Jordan's! That puts the top of his head a full 4 inches above the rim and only two inches lower than His Airness. Who is this guy? !

Also there's a clip on youtube where Jordan says David Thompson has a 44 inch vertical, but he had much smaller hands than Dr. J. which would explain why he couldn't do as much in the air as Jordan or Julius.

OKCThunderUP
07-20-2011, 10:41 PM
Shannon Brown's vertical is probably the greatest in the league right now.. does that make him a great player? nah..

Fun to watch at times though. :lol

LOL, no he's not. It's gotta be someone like Blake Griffin, Russell Westbrook, etc...

But like someone already pointed out, Bleacher Report is complete and utter garbage. Anyone can write an article on that website and few, if any, of them have any journalism credibility. For instance, I read an article earlier claiming Brett Favre is the best QB to have ever played the game and it even had the audacity to rank Drew Bledsoe at #16. HAH!

Take anything you read on there with a grain of salt.

DropStep
07-20-2011, 10:56 PM
This is what a 50+ looks like
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ijOSJ1KqYqA

If Jordan had a 48 inch vert his shoulder would be at rim.

Guys like Westbrook and Derrick Rose have 40+ verts.

theaussieguy
07-21-2011, 01:30 AM
LOL, no he's not. It's gotta be someone like Blake Griffin, Russell Westbrook, etc...

But like someone already pointed out, Bleacher Report is complete and utter garbage. Anyone can write an article on that website and few, if any, of them have any journalism credibility. For instance, I read an article earlier claiming Brett Favre is the best QB to have ever played the game and it even had the audacity to rank Drew Bledsoe at #16. HAH!

da *** yea it is pretty well known actually that brown has one of the highest if not the highest verticals in the L, check his wiki (not that its official or anything)

bergs14
07-21-2011, 06:46 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WNOOoZZB9BY&feature=related This would have to be one of the highest I've seen a NBA player get in a game. That would have to be 40+ inches. Video is of LeBron catching a bad lob from Mo Williams.

Rnbizzle
07-21-2011, 07:12 AM

:facepalm

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8LXrKQyJoK4

pauk
07-21-2011, 07:20 AM
BERNARD KING ......... 6'7"........... 46" VERTICAL LEAP!!!!!?!?!?!?!?

hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha ha

STOPPED READING RIGHT THERE................ EVEN REGGIE MILLER HAD A BETTER VERTICAL LEAP LMFAO!!!!!!!

THIS FORCED ME TO WATCH ALL HIS HIGHLIGHTS AND PICTURES.................... INCLUDING THAT YOUTUBE LINK HE GAVE.......... WHERE BERNARD HAD ONLY ONE DUNK.......... A FASTBREAK DUNK WHERE HE TOOK OF WITH ALL OF HIS 46" INCHES AND COULD BARELLY PUT IT IN... ALMOST BREAKING HIS BACK............... LMFAO

Batz
07-21-2011, 07:20 AM
No Shannon Brown? He's 6'2-6'3 with a verified 45 inch vertical...

Carter with a 43 inch vertical? I doubt that. It's closer to 40 than it is to 45 I'll just say that. He has n large wingspan though, which helps him dunk alot.

Jordan with 48 inch vertical? I've seen the guys head at the rim regularly. But with a 48 inch vertical he would have his shoulders/upperchest at rim level at his peak. Which I don't believe to tell you the truth.

No Thompson? Surprise, then again it's BR...

Bigsmoke
07-21-2011, 07:35 AM
I knew Iverson vertical leap was like 40 something :rockon:

Could Melo really jump higher than Shawn Kemp? :wtf:

pauk
07-21-2011, 08:27 AM

i just saw that!!!!! hahahahahahahaha

carmelo does NOT have a 41" vertical leap!!!! LMFAO!!!! hahahahahahahahahahahahahahhahahahaha

and the funniest thing is......... all over the net it says his vertical leap is 41".... WTF!!! how is that possible...........

you know what 41" means to a height of 6'8" ????? i will draw a mathematical solution of this matter........... brb!

Ikill
07-21-2011, 08:37 AM
i just saw that!!!!! hahahahahahahaha

carmelo does NOT have a 41" vertical leap!!!! LMFAO!!!! hahahahahahahahahahahahahahhahahahaha

and the funniest thing is......... all over the net it says his vertical leap is 41".... WTF!!! how is that possible...........

you know what 41" means to a height of 6'8" ????? i will draw a mathematical solution of this matter........... brb!
He has a 34 inch vertical

pauk
07-21-2011, 08:37 AM
Ok... i am gona prove to you why say Carmelo does NOT have a 41" inch vertical leap or Bernard King does NOT have a 46" vertical leap.............

Carmelo is 6'8" or 203 cm or 80 inches tall right....... and has a 41" inch or 104 cm vertical leap right........

so if you take his 6'8" height (80 inches)... and lift him up 41" inches..... that is a total of 121 inches (~308 cm!!!!!)!! that means his top of the head is supposed to be AT THE RIM!!

a basketball hoop... is at 10 feet (310 cm... 121-122 inches)...............

HAVE YOU SEEN CARMELO EVVVVVVVVVEERRRRRR HAVE HIS HEAD ANYWHERE NEAR AT THE RIM OR OVER THE RIM?????????? EVER????

noww........... IMAGINE BERNARD KING........ he is 6'7"....... and has a 46" inch vertical........ 1 inch shorter than CARMELO... but still makes it a 4 inch advantage ALL IN ALL............ that means when he jumps his top of the head is supposed to be 4 INCHES ABOVE THE RIM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

IM SURE WE CAN FIND A CLIP OR A GAME OR A PIC OF BERNARD LOOKING LITERALLY DOWN INTO THE RIM LIKE IN NBA JAM????????? LMFAO

Ikill
07-21-2011, 08:39 AM
Tmac and Jordan is bullshit. Funny Vince at 43 getting outjumped by almost everyone on the list. Absolute garbage list
Tmacs is 40

pauk
07-21-2011, 08:48 AM
the only one i have seen LIVE UP to his vertical leap lately is LEBRON JAMES AND VINCE CARTER.........

he is 6'8-6'9......... and has a 44" inch vertical.........

that means his top of the head (or top of his headband if you may...) is supposed to be exactly 2-3" inches (and hell sometimes more if you have seen) ABOVE THE RIM.............

kindof LIKE THIS =

http://fast1.onesite.com/cavfanatic.com/user/josefsing/302733dfff328f6b50b316afd086591f.jpg
http://lh4.ggpht.com/_2EXfqqcAyDA/TRTsji6x3SI/AAAAAAAAOf8/AWHmE66f9WA/JHP10_NBA_36285.JPG
http://wa4.images.onesite.com/cavfanatic.com/user/thisisme/large/lbj-dunk-vs-bucks.gif
(THATS INGAME FOLKS!!! IMAGINE WHERE HE CAN TAKEOF FROM WITH PROPER SPACE.... WITH PROPER DUNKCONTEST SPACE!! DAMN U LEBRON FOR NOT ENTERING DUNKCONTEST! :banghead: )

MELOgamaniac
07-21-2011, 09:25 AM
People are idiots...there is more to dunking than vert. ..Vince never had one of the greater verts, but he is a great dunker because you have to account for his wingspan, body control, and explosivness to actually get off the floor before the defender ...You can have a 50 inch vert but if you just have to find the time and and have the ability to put it to use, Its like having sniper rifle in a video game its the most powerful gun but you need to create the oppurtunity for it to be put to use....

People also get confused by the flashiness of a dunker...dont think because some1 scissor kicks they legs out or contorts theyre body that gives them a higher vert, its just body control.

KenneBell
07-21-2011, 09:56 AM
One of the worst articles I've ever read. BR is the slum of sports. Just a dump.:oldlol:

The Stan
07-21-2011, 02:17 PM
http://cdn.bleacherreport.net/images_root/slides/photos/000/404/923/griff2_display_image.jpg?1285046911 This is hilarious to me.

KevinNYC
07-21-2011, 02:45 PM
http://cdn.bleacherreport.net/images_root/slides/photos/000/404/923/griff2_display_image.jpg?1285046911 This is hilarious to me.

Yeah that is an awesome photo of Darrell Griffith, but it appears he didn't make the block.

PowerGlove
07-21-2011, 04:14 PM
I knew Iverson vertical leap was like 40 something :rockon:

This.

verylegit
07-21-2011, 04:23 PM
lol@ melo having 40" vertical. wouldn't matter if he did though, he's not explosive.

jamal99
07-21-2011, 05:23 PM
@pauk

Hoop is 10 feet tall, but that's exactly 304.8 centimeters...

feyki
01-26-2016, 04:57 PM
Spurd Webb probably has greatest vertical jump in nba history .

Btw , Bill Russell,Kareem and Wilt(also probably Ralph Sampson) have highest jump reaches in nba history .

FKAri
01-26-2016, 05:00 PM
"player A may have been able to jump higher but player B could stay in the air longer"

Basketball fans :roll:

Chadwin
01-26-2016, 05:05 PM
prime Jason Richardson has to be 1 or 2

Chadwin
01-26-2016, 05:07 PM
top 3

Webb
Gerald Green
Jason Richardson

in no order

Dr Hawk
01-26-2016, 05:10 PM
Spurd Webb probably has greatest vertical jump in nba history .

Btw , Bill Russell,Kareem and Wilt(also probably Ralph Sampson) have highest jump reaches in nba history .

I'm sure Javale McGee had a higher jumping reach than Russell.

Gilmore too

hateraid
01-26-2016, 05:18 PM
The fables of Jordan continue....
By know he should have taken over Wilt's spot with the most tall tales in the history of the NBA.

I'll look it up. I have a sports almanac that had vertical leaps that was written in the 90'. Jordan was around 38 standing, 42 2 step. What I found crazy is that Spud Webb had a 38 2 step vert.
These exaggerated stories of verticals now are just insane. Keep in mind an average NBA player is already 6'5. That was a center in HS. The elite 6'5 players in HS had between 32 and 35 and they were doing amazing dunks. People need to scale back into reality.

miggyme1
01-26-2016, 05:21 PM
The fables of Jordan continue....
By know he should have taken over Wilt's spot with the most tall tales in the history of the NBA.

I'll look it up. I have a sports almanac that had vertical leaps that was written in the 90'. Jordan was around 38 standing, 42 2 step. What I found crazy is that Spud Webb had a 38 2 step vert.
These exaggerated stories of verticals now are just insane. Keep in mind an average NBA player is already 6'5. That was a center in HS. The elite 6'5 players in HS had between 32 and 35 and they were doing amazing dunks. People need to scale back into reality.

yea a 48 inch vertical would damn near put some of these guys knees at the rim.

warriorfan
01-26-2016, 05:32 PM
Did Bernard King really have a 46 inch vertical? :wtf:

feyki
01-26-2016, 05:35 PM
I'm sure Javale McGee had a higher jumping reach than Russell.

Gilmore too

Gilmore probably had 9-4 standing reach and 37 max vertical .

Mcgee had 9-6.5 standing reach and 32.5 max vertical .

So ..

12'3 ;

Lebron,Jordan,Mcgee

12'5 ;

Howard,Shaq

12'7 ;

Kareem,Bill,Wilt

Meticode
01-26-2016, 05:47 PM
I don't think Lebron has a 44 inch vertical or Jordan has a 48 inch vertical i would say max 42 for both.
I have no doubt on a perfect jump LeBron has been at 44 and Jordan at 48. Just not consistently.

Meticode
01-26-2016, 05:48 PM
The list basically just took famous players. Isn't the highest recorded vertical measurement for an NBA player James White at 50+ inches?

feyki
01-26-2016, 06:06 PM
I have no doubt on a perfect jump LeBron has been at 44 and Jordan at 48. Just not consistently.

Lebron? Yes . But no chances for Jordan had 48' .