PDA

View Full Version : Dwyane Wade vs Kobe Bryant at their best

catch24
07-21-2011, 11:24 PM
notes:
- would have replaced 2009-2010 for Wade's 2006-2007 season but he was injured (despite how great he was pre-injury)
- devils advocate: while Kobe is a more skilled/explosive scorer -- and may have other intangibles on his side (doing more with less, being a better leader; keep in mind these are subjective opinions) -- Wade is the more efficient one; Wade has slightly better all-around numbers in the postseason as well
- both players have one ring and a Finals MVP during this time span
- some say its a tired comparison but it's still debated on the norm with the people I talk to outside this forum -- who was the better player during their peak/prime and/or best years?, etc

Kobe
2006: 35/5/4 on 45% shooting
postseason: 28/6/5 on 50% shooting
2007: 32/5/5 on 46% shooting
postseason: 33/5/4 on 46% shooting
2008: 28/6/5 on 46% shooting
postseason: 30/6/6 on 48% shooting
2009: 27/5/5 on 47% shooting
postseason: 30/6/5 on 46% shooting

Wade
2006: 27/6/7 on 49% shooting
postseason: 28/6/6 on 50% shooting
2009: 30/5/7 on 49% shooting
postseason: 29/5/5 on 44% shooting
2010: 27/5/6 on 48% shooting
postseason: 33/6/7 on 56% shooting
2011: 25/6/5 on 50% shooting
postseason: 24/7/4 on 48% shooting

edit: added in postseason numbers too

EnoughSaid
07-21-2011, 11:30 PM
Kobe is a better scorer and playmaker. Wade is a better ball-handler and defender. They are both great players, but Kobe has had a better career. Don't compare their careers because it is laughable.

catch24
07-21-2011, 11:30 PM
Need thought-out posts, not useless GIFs... thanks.

catch24
07-21-2011, 11:32 PM
Kobe is a better scorer and playmaker. Wade is a better ball-handler and defender. They are both great players, but Kobe has had a better career. Don't compare their careers because it is laughable.

This is a thread about who the better player is at their best, not who had the greater career. I handpicked their best seasons for a reason.

Ikill
07-21-2011, 11:33 PM
Its a good topic but its not going to turn out well these Kobe fans just don't want to admit Wade and Kobe are close.

Doctor Rivers
07-21-2011, 11:39 PM
Wade is the 2nd best SG ever. no comparison needed.

tpols
07-21-2011, 11:40 PM
Wade isn't a better ballhandler than Kobe.. Kobe's left hand and overall dribbling is better than Wade's. Wade is just quicker and has better body control when he's attacking a defense[which doesn't really have much to do specifically with his ballhandling although it is still very good].

Wade also isn't a better defender than Kobe.. The thing is, a lot of people on this site, and ESPECIALLY Wade fans never really saw pre-2004 Kobe play at all. Wade fans are mostly kids that grew up in the post 2005 era of basketball, but if you saw Kobe play man defense in the early 2000s or even as recently as the 2008 playoffs, you'd see that he is a way more disciplined defender. Better footwork, able to force a player to his weak hand much more effectively, quicker hands, better responsiveness.. pretty much every technical defensive skill Kobe beats Wade in. Wade is just a more explosive leaper and runner so he is more adept at making the spectacular 'highlight' plays that you always see on ESPN..

The reason a lot of the newer fans think Wade is the better defender is because they see Kobe undeservedly getting a lot of these defensive awards in his old age, and they somehow transition that line of thought into thinking that Kobe NEVER deserved any of his defensive awards, but that couldn't be farther from the truth. The very fact that his legacy on the defensive side of the ball has carried on for this long is a testament to how good he was in his younger days.

catch24
07-21-2011, 11:42 PM

Stop trolling, dumbass. You're part of the reason this forum is shit now. Answer the topic instead of posting nonsensical bs; use your brain for once.

The-Legend-24
07-21-2011, 11:42 PM
http://gifsforum.com/images/gif/no%20no%20no/grand/dawson_says_no_gif.gif

Doctor Rivers
07-21-2011, 11:44 PM
http://gifsforum.com/images/gif/no%20no%20no/grand/dawson_says_no_gif.gif

Wade is top 10 alltime in career playoff PER.

Bryant is....hahahaha

ThaSwagg3r
07-21-2011, 11:45 PM
You should account how far those two players got in the post-season. The less games one plays the less value those stats mean IMO (not exactly but...). A 1st round exit with dominant stats is not the same as a finals loss with dominant stats.

I am going to go with Kobe Bryant though. I really miss Kobe in his prime, especially Kobe in 2008 and 2009 when he dominated both regular season and the post-season. I love Wade, but he never had as good of a season as Kobe did in those two seasons (Kobe in 09 > Wade in 09). Wade's 2006 post-season run is on par with Kobe's 08 and 09 post-season run, but I think Kobe takes the cake there.

30/6/6 and 30/5/5

:bowdown:

I really hope Kobe can comeback and play close to a level like that. Hopefully that knee surgery will help.

catch24
07-21-2011, 11:52 PM
You should account how far those two players got in the post-season.

That's up to you guys. I want to hear your opinions. Was looking for a good discussion but as ikill predicted, this thread is already being hijacked.

Great post btw. At least you got the idea :oldlol:

Patrick Chewing
07-21-2011, 11:55 PM

Some Wade fan you are. Laughable? Minus the rings, Wade's career isn't that far off from Kobe's. Wade has had a few more injuries, but Wade is a dynamic defender and can score at will from any position on the court. I credit Kobe to having better numbers as a result of better coaching and supporting cast around him.

Their talents are right there neck and neck

Ikill
07-21-2011, 11:56 PM
When Wade is playing at his best he's better than Kobe at his best IMO but he can't play at his best or a very high level for an entire season.

Jacks3
07-21-2011, 11:57 PM
Wade is NOT a better defender than prime Kobe. :facepalm

Doctor Rivers
When Wade is playing at his best he's better than Kobe at his best IMO but he can't play at his best or a very high level for an entire season.

he does it when it counts unlike kobe

ZaaaaaH
Some Wade fan you are. Laughable? Minus the rings, Wade's career isn't that far off from Kobe's. Wade has had a few more injuries, but Wade is a dynamic defender and can score at will from any position on the court. I credit Kobe to having better numbers as a result of better coaching and supporting cast around him.

Their talents are right there neck and neck

One of the Best post today. :applause:

:lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol

tpols
07-22-2011, 12:00 AM
, but Wade is a dynamic defender and can score at will from any position on the court.
LOL no.. to the second part. Wade cannot score at will from any part of the court and that is a big reason he isn't nearly as impactful in the clutch as Kobe.

Wade's midrange game is medicore at best.

Wade's long range game is terrible.

That right there chops off about 75% of the court that he can supposedly score at will from. 95% of Wade's points come off of his athleticism and finishing around the basket~whether it be in transition, off the PnR[accounts for most of his half court points], or just straight driving to the rim/using the eurostep.. he is not a player that can kill you from any spot with any move. That would actually define Kobe, who has a near flawless offensive repetiore and has mastered pretty much every offensive move in the book.

ShaqAttack3234
07-22-2011, 12:01 AM
I'll give 2006-2008 Kobe a slight edge over Wade at his peak(2009) and peak Wade a slight edge over 2009 Kobe.

I think Kobe was simply the better player offensively. His all around skill set was off the charts when combined with above average athleticism back then which meant he was always a threat to score, and at the time, the most dangerous streak scorer/tough shot maker in history. He was a better shooter(particularly range shooter) as well as free throw shooter and he had a much better post game.

As far as passing/playmaking? Well, I don't think assist numbers tell the story here. For one, a lot of that depends on your role, I don't think the difference is huge either way, but Kobe in 2008 had a bigger impact on his teammates than Wade has, imo. And he showed this ability at times in '06 and '07, for example, the first half of the 2007 season when the lakers overachieved and were 26-15 before injuries, or the 2006 playoffs vs Phoenix.

I think both have proven that they can carry a bad team, but the 2008 Lakers also overachieved, imo and made it to the finals. If you followed that season, and keep in mind that Pau was only there for 26 games, Bynum was only there for 35 games(25 as a starter) and not at the same time, it's pretty remarkable that the Lakers got the number 1 seed in that ridiculously competitive West where every playoff team won at least 50 games. And they made it to the finals with Kobe averaging 32/6/6/51 FG%/61 TS% through the first 3 rounds, which included the Lakers 5 game victory over the defending champion Spurs who were a great defensive team.

Defense isn't a huge advantage either way here. Kobe is a better 1 on 1 defender, but Wade gave more effort on that end in 2009 than any of these Kobe seasons in question with the exception of 2008, but he's also been lazy at times defensively in the other seasons. I'd take 2008 Kobe defensively, but 2009 Wade over any of these other Kobe seasons defensively. Of course, this isn't mentioning 2000-2002 Kobe...

The-Legend-24
07-22-2011, 12:02 AM
Kobe at his best was arguably the best scorer of all time, was a great defender,
and unlike wade could beat you with from different spots midrange, long range, drive, post, if you take away the drive to the hoop from wade he's pretty much useless.

Heavincent
07-22-2011, 12:02 AM
I'd say Kobe from 06 to 08 is better than Wade has ever been (I'm not trying to take anything away from Wade. He's still a great player). In the 05-06 season, he was putting up ridiculous numbers (81 point game, had a shitload of 40+ point games). But Kobe's 07-08 season was even better IMO. He was playing great D, and he let the game come to him more than ever before. He is often insulted for going into each game with a specific "mindset" (as in whether he'll facilitate, or just try to score a shitload of points). In 07/08 he really played within the team concept and let the game come to him and his play just looked more "natural", for a lack of a better term. It's not really a stats thing. You have to actually watch the games to know what I mean. The same thing is also true for his 08-09 season. A lot of this might have to do with Kobe having a bad supporting cast in 06 though.

I wouldn't really have a problem with someone picking Wade though. Like someone else said, he has better body control and is also slightly better at driving to the hoop due to being quicker. Kobe is bigger, stronger, has better footwork, and has a better jumpshot and post game though. And I'd say Kobe is better at D.

Doctor Rivers
07-22-2011, 12:05 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pPVzvf3nPxQ&hd=1

Jacks3
07-22-2011, 12:07 AM
01, 03 Kobe was better than the 09 version. Equal to 08 version. They should be up there.

EnoughSaid
07-22-2011, 12:09 AM

:applause: :bowdown: :bowdown: :bowdown: :bowdown:

Patrick Chewing
07-22-2011, 12:10 AM
LOL no.. to the second part. Wade cannot score at will from any part of the court and that is a big reason he isn't nearly as impactful in the clutch as Kobe.

Wade's midrange game is medicore at best.

Wade's long range game is terrible.

That right there chops off about 75% of the court that he can supposedly score at will from. 95% of Wade's points come off of his athleticism and finishing around the basket~whether it be in transition, off the PnR[accounts for most of his half court points], or just straight driving to the rim/using the eurostep.. he is not a player that can kill you from any spot with any move. That would actually define Kobe, who has a near flawless offensive repetiore and has mastered pretty much every offensive move in the book.

:facepalm says the Kobe stan

If you're gonna kiss his ass that much at least spell repertoire correctly sir.

Some of you fans are so full of yourselves and have your heads so far up your favorite players asses that you look idiotic and just stupid when you diminish the talents of a superstar of Wade's caliber.

Heavincent

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4FpzQiERt8I

catch24
01, 03 Kobe was better than the 09 version. Equal to 08 version. They should be up there.

I used these years because both won championships as the man (to be fair). That and Kobe's 2006-2009 seasons are widely regarded as his prime years.

Ikill
07-22-2011, 12:11 AM
I'd say Kobe from 06 to 08 is better than Wade has ever been (I'm not trying to take anything away from Wade. He's still a great player). In the 05-06 season, he was putting up ridiculous numbers (81 point game, had a shitload of 40+ point games). But Kobe's 07-08 season was even better IMO. He was playing great D, and he let the game come to him more than ever before. He is often insulted for going into each game with a specific "mindset" (as in whether he'll facilitate, or just try to score a shitload of points). In 07/08 he really played within the team concept and let the game come to him and his play just looked more "natural", for a lack of a better term. It's not really a stats thing. You have to actually watch the games to know what I mean. The same thing is also true for his 08-09 season. A lot of this might have to do with Kobe having a bad supporting cast in 06 though.

I wouldn't really have a problem with someone picking Wade though. Like someone else said, he has better body control and is also slightly better at driving to the hoop due to being quicker. Kobe is bigger, stronger, has better footwork, and has a better jumpshot and post game though. And I'd say Kobe is better at D.
bigger stronger and better footwork is debatable depending on how you look at it

ThaSwagg3r
07-22-2011, 12:13 AM
I used these years because both won championships as the man (to be fair). That and Kobe's 2006-2009 seasons are widely regarded as his prime years.
:applause: Finally someone understands.... Kobe's 08 and 09 seasons were his best in my opinion.

Jacks3
07-22-2011, 12:13 AM
bigger stronger and better footwork is debatable depending on how you look at it
:facepalm

ZaaaaaH
07-22-2011, 12:14 AM

Some of you fans are so full of yourselves and have your heads so far up your favorite players asses that you look idiotic and just stupid when you diminish the talents of a superstar of Wade's caliber.

HAHA this kid.

Its Kids like you who overrate Wade that makes him Underrated by logical thinkers. :facepalm

Wade vs Kobe is like Kobe vs MJ. Just Stop Its not Happening.

Funny thing is Kobe actully has a Resume to argue against MJ and Wade doesnt against Kobe.

tpols

Did you really just highlight the longrange portion?:oldlol: Wade is TERRIBLE from long range.. most defenders completely sag off of him and allow him the 20+ foot shot for fear of his explosiveness and he still converts them at a terrible rate.

Wade shot 37% from 10 to 23 feet this year.. which is beyond bad. That covers midrange and longrange.
http://www.hoopdata.com/shotstats.aspx?team=MIA&type=pg&posi=%&yr=2011&gp=0&mins=0

Please bro..:oldlol:

ZaaaaaH

Like this

Wade fans are delusional. No shiiit He gets underrated by everyone else.

Ikill
07-22-2011, 12:16 AM
HAHA this kid.

Its Kids like you who overrate Wade that makes him Underrated by logical thinkers. :facepalm

:roll: not even close

N0Skillz
07-22-2011, 12:17 AM

Kobe was 1a/1b in 01 and 02

30/7/6 in the playoffs in 01
27/6/5 in the playoffs in 02

ZaaaaaH
07-22-2011, 12:17 AM
:roll: not even close

Thats What I been Telling you FOOLS. :facepalm

:lol So butt hurt right now since the Truth came out.

Patrick Chewing
07-22-2011, 12:18 AM
HAHA this kid.

Funny thing is Kobe actully has a Resume to argue against MJ and Wade doesnt

You don't read properly? Rings aside, the skillset is right there. If you can't see that, you're just a blind jackass. No one's overrating Wade here, if anything, we're overrating Kobe by assuming that there's nobody better or nobody within range which you can clearly tell by the responses in this thread including yours.

And please, I was a kid in the 80's. You got some growing up to do yet.

Ikill
07-22-2011, 12:18 AM
Thats What I been Telling you FOOLS. :facepalm

:lol So butt hurt right now since the Truth came out.
yes Wade to Kobe is nothing like Kobe to MJ :applause: Wade and Kobe are actually very close

Jacks3
07-22-2011, 12:20 AM
:applause: Finally someone understands.... Kobe's 08 and 09 seasons were his best in my opinion.
No.

The 09 version of Kobe lost a huge amount of athleticism compared to 03-08.

I really don't think it counts as a prime season when you lose such a big amount of quickness,elevation, explosion.

It's like saying the 96 version of MJ was still in his prime.

Heavincent
07-22-2011, 12:21 AM

Calling Wade's mid range and long range game "mediocre" and "terrible" might be a bit of an exaggeration, but Kobe is an unbelievably good mid-range shooter and his long-range game isn't bad either. Better than Wade in both areas.

catch24
07-22-2011, 12:21 AM
Kobe was 1a/1b in 01 and 02

30/7/6 in the playoffs in 01
27/6/5 in the playoffs in 02

He didn't get a Finals MVP though. Again, I purposely used these seasons (specifically Kobe's 2008-2009 year -- who despite losing athleticism, still played at a really HIGH level) because when discussing Wade's best posters would be inclined to say Wade won a Finals MVP while Kobe did not -- using this against Kobe in the debate. Now would that be fair?

Patrick Chewing
07-22-2011, 12:22 AM
Did you really just highlight the longrange portion?:oldlol: Wade is TERRIBLE from long range.. most defenders completely sag off of him and allow him the 20+ foot shot for fear of his explosiveness and he still converts them at a terrible rate.

Wade shot 37% from 10 to 23 feet this year.. which is beyond bad. That covers midrange and longrange.
http://www.hoopdata.com/shotstats.aspx?team=MIA&type=pg&posi=%&yr=2011&gp=0&mins=0

Please bro..:oldlol:

LOL you want to talk about shooting percentage??

Wade career: 49%

Bryant career: 45%

Kobe attempts way more threes than Wade does, so we can't even compare that stat.

gengiskhan
07-22-2011, 12:22 AM

Moronic comment

1996 MJ is 33 yrs old He is outside his prime.

1996 MJ = 2011 Kobe (33 yrs old)

Jacks3
07-22-2011, 12:23 AM
Moronic comment

1996 MJ is 33 yrs old He is outside his prime.

1996 MJ = 2011 Kobe (33 yrs old)

ZaaaaaH
07-22-2011, 12:23 AM
You don't read properly? Rings aside, the skillset is right there. If you can't see that, you're just a blind jackass. No one's overrating Wade here, if anything, we're overrating Kobe by assuming that there's nobody better or nobody within range which you can clearly tell by the responses in this thread including yours.

And please, I was a kid in the 80's. You got some growing up to do yet.

Kid from 80's LOL yea ur a Kid.

Rings Aside? Okay we can do that So Should we put Their Career stats aside too? No Fuccck it lets put All their accomplishments Aside. What Fuccck IT LETS PUT ALL- NBA Team ASIDE, Just FUCCCK IT ALL WHY the fuccck do we even Keep track of all these Dumb stats and Rings. Acutlly FUCCCK IT ALL Lets PUT AWAY the BASKETBALL TOO. JUST FUCCCK IT ALL !!!! WHY THE FUCCCK DO WE EVEN PLAY BASKETBALL !

:lol :lol :lol :lol

Fucccking 5 year old :facepalm

ZaaaaaH
07-22-2011, 12:24 AM
yes Wade to Kobe is nothing like Kobe to MJ :applause: Wade and Kobe are actually very close

Ikill
07-22-2011, 12:25 AM
Wades footwork going to the basket and his footwork on his dribble moves is amazing. Kobe doesn't fake defenders on the move like Wade does

ZaaaaaH
07-22-2011, 12:25 AM

Kobe attempts way more threes than Wade does, so we can't even compare that stat.

Oh so Kobe Misses ONE less shot then Wade per game. WOW Nice stat You dug up.

ZaaaaaH
07-22-2011, 12:26 AM
Wades footwork going to the basket and his footwork on his dribble moves is amazing. Kobe doesn't fake defenders on the move like Wade does

:roll: :roll: :roll:

This KID should get Some Kinda award. He is too good.

tpols
07-22-2011, 12:30 AM

Wade is better at attacking the paint and does it with more frequency.. Whats your point? When you actually account for the fact that Kobe 'attempts way more threes than Wade does' by looking at their respective eFGs, their efficiencies are actually very comparable.. and Kobe has done it on a larger volume in his prime. :oldlol:

Patrick Chewing
07-22-2011, 12:31 AM
Wade is better at attacking the paint and does it with more frequency.. Whats your point? When you actually account for the fact that Kobe 'attempts way more threes than Wade does' by looking at their respective eFGs, their efficiencies are actually very comparable.. and Kobe has done it on a larger volume in his prime. :oldlol:

LOL that's the whole point. You and everyone else are saying they aren't!

Patrick Chewing
07-22-2011, 12:32 AM
Kid from 80's LOL yea ur a Kid.

Rings Aside? Okay we can do that So Should we put Their Career stats aside too? No Fuccck it lets put All their accomplishments Aside. What Fuccck IT LETS PUT ALL- NBA Team ASIDE, Just FUCCCK IT ALL WHY the fuccck do we even Keep track of all these Dumb stats and Rings. Acutlly FUCCCK IT ALL Lets PUT AWAY the BASKETBALL TOO. JUST FUCCCK IT ALL !!!! WHY THE FUCCCK DO WE EVEN PLAY BASKETBALL !

:lol :lol :lol :lol

Fucccking 5 year old :facepalm

Another "rings means everything" douche

ZaaaaaH
07-22-2011, 12:34 AM

LOL Lets not go to Youtube with Kobe. Its gonna be another joke Comparing Wade to Kobe on Youtube just like this fucccking topic.

ZaaaaaH
07-22-2011, 12:36 AM
Another "rings means everything" douche

LOL Ring does mean everything You retard thats what Players play for and Money.

You think these fools Work their ass off and put their ass on the line every other night and then some for what?

Bottom line KID I never said Ring meant everything Especially when it comes to players but hey just make shiiit up since you got nothing to say.

Kobe >>>> Wade

E

Z

:D

ThaSwagg3r
07-22-2011, 12:39 AM
No.

The 09 version of Kobe lost a huge amount of athleticism compared to 03-08.

I really don't think it counts as a prime season when you lose such a big amount of quickness,elevation, explosion.

I didn't see a significant amount of decline in his athleticism from 2008 to 2009. Maybe a tiny one, but certainly not a major one. You don't have to be in your athletic prime to be in your basketball prime. Shaq was in his athletic prime in Orlando and he certainly wasnt in his basketball prime until he went to LA.

Kobe in 2008 was not as athletic as Kobe was in 2003 so what's your point? Kobe in 2008 was much better than he was in 2003.

Jacks3
07-22-2011, 12:39 AM
What's Wade's biggest strength? Scoring.

Kobe does that on a MUCH higher level and is also a comparable passer-play-maker, and a better re-bounder/defender.

I don't really see the case for Wade here. :confusedshrug:

pauk
07-22-2011, 12:40 AM
you all probably know how much "i hate kobe".......... ITS MOSTLY BECAUSE OF HIS MINDSET ON COURT (AND OFCOURT) AND HIS DELUSIONAL FANS...............

but there was never a doubt in my mind about his ability........

my point is..........

KOBE > WADE............. in every god damn department... offense & defense.......... wade is just more unselfish........ and oh yea... drawing whistles...

ThaSwagg3r
07-22-2011, 12:40 AM
By the way catch24 (OP), Kobe averaged 30/6/5 in the 2009 post-season, not 30/5/5. 5.5 rounds up to 6. :pimp:

catch24
07-22-2011, 12:42 AM
By the way catch24 (OP), Kobe averaged 30/6/5 in the 2009 post-season, not 30/5/5. 5.5 rounds up to 6. :pimp:

Good looking out. All the stats are rounded btw.

Jacks3
Kobe in 2008 was not as athletic as Kobe was in 2003 so what's your point? Kobe in 2008 was much better than he was in 2003.
It's fine to take 08 Kobe, but to say he was "much better" is just silly. That year Bryant put up 30/7/6/2/1/55% TS and was the best defender at his position. The difference is small either way.

ZaaaaaH
you all probably know how much "i hate kobe".......... ITS MOSTLY BECAUSE OF HIS MINDSET ON COURT (AND OFCOURT)...............

my point is..........

KOBE > WADE............. in every god damn department... offense & defense.......... wade is just more unselfish........

Seriously I Like Wade even more then LeBron now but Geeezzzzz ya need to stop. Ya gonna lose fans And Wade might not even get in TOP 50 unless Heats Win 2.

ZaaaaaH
07-22-2011, 12:43 AM

Dont need it :pimp:

tpols
07-22-2011, 12:47 AM
LOL that's the whole point. You and everyone else are saying they aren't!
I never said they weren't.. their efficiencies are very comparable with Wade having a slight edge actually. What separates Kobe from Wade is his more explosive/versatile scoring which leads to him having much better clutch/closing ability. He also does it all on a higher volume.

We've seen glimpses of brilliance from Kobe that Wade hasn't ever matched[very few have though].. multiple 60 point games, an 81 point game, streaks of 50 point games.. stuff you only see once in a lifetime. Thats what in my mind puts Kobe's scoring above Wade's. Sure Dwyane had the 2006 Finals and that was very impressive but a)that Dallas team would have been the worst Finals team Kobe would have ever faced, b)Kobe completely shat on that very Dallas team just a few months before Wade did in even more impressive fashion and c)that was surrounded by a lot of talk about a free throw scandal.. which has some legitamate backing. Wade after this season was the FIFTH all time FT per game leader in the history of the NBA behind all big men like Shaq, Mcadoo, and Wilt.. he literally plays for the foul on every possession and has been the player to most take advantage of the post 2005 rules change out of anybody.

And then outside of scoring, Kobe is an equal playmaker and a better technical passer[not as willing though, which is a minus for him]. He was also a better lockdown defender. When I look at Kobe as a basketball player, I see a guy that has mastered the post game, the mid range game, the long range game, slashing, passing, all of the footwork you can come up with on offense and defense.. pretty much one of the most skilled basketball players ever who also happens to be one of the most athletic. With Wade I see an even bigger athletic freak, but a player that isn't even half as skilled, disciplined, or accomplished.. so the comparison looks kind of weak.

pauk
07-22-2011, 12:48 AM
Seriously I Like Wade even more then LeBron now but Geeezzzzz ya need to stop. Ya gonna lose fans And Wade might not even get in TOP 50 unless Heats Win 2.

why the hell would you like wade more than lebron? HAH!! lebron has been proving for us for about 8 years who is better in every single department......... and even teamed up with him and proved right to everybody who is better........ wade is to good not to play better than lebron SOMETIMES...... but majority of the time lebron always outproduces him......... and we all know who was better when they didnt play together........

lebron is better at EVERYTHING than wade......... everything? EVERYTHING........ and that at 6'9 - 260.......... which allows him to have even more impact because he can therefore dominate up to 5 positions... offensively & defensively.............

YOU CAN SAY YOU HATE LEBRON... AND THEREFORE LIKE WADE........ THAT MAKES MORE SENSE......... BUT PLEASE DONT COME TO ME AND SAY WADE HAS BEEN BETTER WHEN YOU SEE ALL FACTS AVALIABLE.........

ZaaaaaH
07-22-2011, 12:51 AM
why the hell would you like wade more than lebron? HAH!! lebron has been proving for us for about 8 years who is better......... and even teamed up with him and proved right to everybody who is better........ wade is to good not to play better than lebron SOMETIMES...... but majority of the time lebron always outproduces him.........

lebron is better at EVERYTHING than wade......... everything? EVERYTHING........ and that at 6'9 - 260.......... which allows him to have even more impact because he can therefore dominate up to 5 positions... offensively & defensively.............

YOU CAN SAY YOU HATE LEBRON... AND THEREFORE LIKE WADE........ THAT MAKES MORE SENSE......... BUT PLEASE DONT COME TO ME AND SAY WADE HAS BEEN BETTER WHEN YOU SEE ALL FACTS AVALIABLE.........

LOL

Yo All I said was I like Wade better then LeBron. I dont mean Wade is Better Then LeBron.

LeBron > Wade

Chill out

ThaSwagg3r
07-22-2011, 12:58 AM
I'll give 2006-2008 Kobe a slight edge over Wade at his peak(2009) and peak Wade a slight edge over 2009 Kobe.

09 Wade was not better than 09 Kobe if you factor in their post-season runs. I pretty much agree with your entire post after that.

Good looking out. All the stats are rounded btw.
So you should change it. :D

2008-2009 Kobe is so underrated it is ridiculous. 09 Wade was not better than him that season. He was better than him in the regular season, but not if you include the playoffs. Wade played pretty mediocre in the playoffs against the Hawks while Kobe dominated all four teams and won the championship and the finals MVP that post-season.

ThaSwagg3r
07-22-2011, 01:00 AM
What I find even more funny about the people that think Wade was better than Kobe in 09 is that Kobe was actually 2nd in the MVP voting that year while Wade was 3rd.

catch24
07-22-2011, 01:03 AM
So you could change it. :D

Done deal, playa :cheers:

Patrick Chewing
07-22-2011, 01:15 AM
I never said they weren't.. their efficiencies are very comparable with Wade having a slight edge actually. What separates Kobe from Wade is his more explosive/versatile scoring which leads to him having much better clutch/closing ability. He also does it all on a higher volume.

We've seen glimpses of brilliance from Kobe that Wade hasn't ever matched[very few have though].. multiple 60 point games, an 81 point game, streaks of 50 point games.. stuff you only see once in a lifetime. Thats what in my mind puts Kobe's scoring above Wade's. Sure Dwyane had the 2006 Finals and that was very impressive but a)that Dallas team would have been the worst Finals team Kobe would have ever faced, b)Kobe completely shat on that very Dallas team just a few months before Wade did in even more impressive fashion and c)that was surrounded by a lot of talk about a free throw scandal.. which has some legitamate backing. Wade after this season was the FIFTH all time FT per game leader in the history of the NBA behind all big men like Shaq, Mcadoo, and Wilt.. he literally plays for the foul on every possession and has been the player to most take advantage of the post 2005 rules change out of anybody.

And then outside of scoring, Kobe is an equal playmaker and a better technical passer[not as willing though, which is a minus for him]. He was also a better lockdown defender. When I look at Kobe as a basketball player, I see a guy that has mastered the post game, the mid range game, the long range game, slashing, passing, all of the footwork you can come up with on offense and defense.. pretty much one of the most skilled basketball players ever who also happens to be one of the most athletic. With Wade I see an even bigger athletic freak, but a player that isn't even half as skilled, disciplined, or accomplished.. so the comparison looks kind of weak.

Much better reasoning. I applaud you. However I stand firm in my belief that Wade's skillset is pretty close. Sure he may not have the individual accolades, but we have seen Wade take over games in recent memory just as much as we have seen Kobe. If Wade was a healthier player year in and year out, his opportunities and achievements would only be greater.

Mr. I'm So Rad
07-22-2011, 01:18 AM
Kobe
2006: 35/5/4 on 45% shooting
postseason: 28/6/5 on 50% shooting
2007: 32/5/5 on 46% shooting
postseason: 33/5/4 on 46% shooting
2008: 28/6/5 on 46% shooting
postseason: 30/6/6 on 48% shooting
2009: 27/5/5 on 47% shooting
postseason: 30/5/5 on 46% shooting

Wade
2006: 27/6/7 on 49% shooting
postseason: 28/6/6 on 50% shooting
2009: 30/5/7 on 49% shooting
postseason: 29/5/5 on 44% shooting
2010: 27/5/6 on 48% shooting
postseason: 33/6/7 on 56% shooting
2011: 25/6/5 on 50% shooting
postseason: 24/7/4 on 48% shooting

Well if we want to go based purely off of statistics, Kobe is more impressive imo and better, but in order to fairly compare these two players we have to look at them as individuals:

2006 Season: Although Wade had a great season and a legendary finals performance, putting everything into perspective I give the SLIGHT edge to Kobe. In the 2006 season, we saw perimeter players feasting off of the rule changes and we witnessed the peak of what a fully healthy Kobe Bryant can do. He put up a 35ppg season, the first to do so since MJ. His defense slacked, which was to be expected with a guy having to do so much on the offensive end. But his scoring ability was unmatched. He could drive, shoot, anything imaginable. Wade performed great in the finals and captured his first NBA title and Finals MVP, but I think from a skillset standpoint Kobe was better than Wade, which is fair considering Wade was only in his 3rd year and Kobe was a 10 year vet.

2007 Season (Kobe) vs. 2009 Season (Wade): We saw more of the same from Kobe as far as scoring, but he showed a little more patience and playmaking on the offensive end. His defense was still shoddy, but he put on extra weight which hindered his ability to be as explosive or as mobile. He still lead the league in scoring at 31 ppg. He played great in the playoffs as well but just lost to a better team. Wade's 2009 season was probably his best. He bounced back from injury and captured his first scoring title at 30 ppg. He had to do almost everything for his team, reminiscent of Kobe post-Shaq pre-Gasol. I think I'll give the slight edge to Wade in this case. He just seemed to be at his absolute best while Kobe had a down year (for him at least, that's how good he was at the time).

2008 Season (Kobe) vs. 2010 Season (Wade): 2008 is my favorite version of Kobe. He had it all that year. He slimmed down some and regained that explosiveness and we really saw that athleticism of his. This was the last version of Kobe that could still slash effectively. His defense also went back to the 3 peat days. He played great man defense, but also played excellent help defense, something we hadn't always seen from him. His playmaking ability was at an all time high, and you could really tell he trusted his teammates. Wade was excellent in the 2010 season again, showing what he could do when healthy. I would say overall though, Kobe was just the better player. Outside of stats, Kobe was just at the absolute peak of his athleticism, skill and IQ where they all came together perfectly.

2009 Season (Kobe) vs. 2011 Season (Wade): I think 2009 Kobe is an underrated version of Kobe. Everyone just sees it as the year that Kobe started to decline athletically and become a jump shooter, but a lot of people forget how good he still was. His scoring went down to 27 ppg, but his FG% went up and he was still a great playmaker. His finals performance was also great, becoming one of a few to put up at least 33/8 in the finals, against the NBA's #1 defense at that. What I liked most about him was his refined post game. Kobe knew his knees wouldn't last him forever, so he developed a reliable post game (a la second 3 peat Jordan) which made him even more unguardable. He was also second in MVP voting only behind LeBron James after leading his team to a 65-17 record. He still showed flashed of incredible scoring with his MSG performance, breaking the record previously held by Bernard King with 61 points. His defense began to slack, but was still serviceable and he could guard anyone when he wanted to.

Wade's 2011 season was one of efficiency. He shot 50% from the field and continued to shine. His numbers dipped slightly, but that was because of playing with LeBron and Bosh. What stood out to me the most about Wade this season though was his efficiency, despite some very poor numbers against Boston in the regular season and in the ECF, Wade was very efficient from the field and was still an incredible slasher. His mid range game seemed to leave him a little bit though. Like he started to become more 1 dimensional, the opposite of Kobe becoming more of a jump shooter. His defense was good off ball, as he still racked up a ton of blocks but his defense was at times inconsistent. When he wanted to, he could lock up almost anyone and could play passing lanes very well. For me, this is really hard to choose, but I think I'll go with Kobe, although anyone could very well take Wade.

So overall I have Kobe 3-1

ZaaaaaH
07-22-2011, 01:28 AM
Much better reasoning. I applaud you. However I stand firm in my belief that Wade's skillset is pretty close. Sure he may not have the individual accolades, but we have seen Wade take over games in recent memory just as much as we have seen Kobe. If Wade was a healthier player year in and year out, his opportunities and achievements would only be greater.

Let me tell you in ur language

Its like Comparing Ewing to Bynum

Ronaldinho
07-22-2011, 01:48 AM
You can make the same case for Kobe, since he play with a shit knee, bad fingers, bad ankle and a lot of minor injuries

ShaqAttack3234
07-22-2011, 01:58 AM

I disagree. 2008 Kobe was better than both, imo. Still pretty close in terms of athleticism, more skilled overall and he was a better leader/smarter player than he was in '01 or '03.

If we compare '01, '03 and '09 Kobe, it is close enough that I can see your point.

Comparing all 3 regular seasons, it's probably like this '03>'09>'01. Kobe put up great individual numbers in the 2001 season, but there are too many negatives for me to compare it to his 2009 season in which he led the Lakers to 65 wins. His individual numbers and performance during the last 40 games of the regular season in 2003 was off the charts, though his play wasn't nearly as good the first half and I'm still not sure I could see 2003 Kobe leading the '09 Lakers to 65 wins, or that I'd take '03 Kobe over '09 Kobe to lead a team to a title. But from an individual standpoint, I wouldn't argue that he was better in 2003, and I wouldn't necessarily disagree with him being better in '03 than '09.

As far as the playoffs, he was amazing in '01 and '09, but a bit disappointing in '03. As far as his '01 playoff run vs '09, well, he faced tougher defenses in '01, but he was the primary focus of opposing defenses in '09, he won titles, both years, but was the man on the '09 team. However, he did a great job as a facilitator late in the 2001 regular season and during the 2001 playoffs in particular, maybe the best I've seen him in that aspect of the game aside from 2008.

2001 is 3rd out of the 3 seasons for me, and all things considered, it's hard for me to choose between 2003 and 2009.

Jacks3
07-22-2011, 02:55 AM
01-03 Kobe was just as skilled as the older versions. Guys like Doug Collins were calling him the most skilled player in the league as early as 2000, he just didn't need to rely on it as much because of his greater athleticism, similar to 96-98 Jordan vs the 90-93 versions. Anyway, I have no doubt in my mind that the 01/03 versions get a similar amount of wins in the reg season, and do you honestly think he wouldn't put up better numbers than 30/6/5/56% in the post-season that he did? Against the like of the Jazz, Rockets without Yao, and Nuggets? Personally, I though Kobe's 09 run was a bit disappointing compared to what he did the previous year (32+/6/6/61% TS through the first 3 rounds), and I think 01/03 Kobe would have been more dominant with the new rules and greater athleticism.

ThaSwagg3r
07-22-2011, 03:03 AM
Well if we want to go based purely off of statistics, Kobe is more impressive imo and better, but in order to fairly compare these two players we have to look at them as individuals:

2006 Season: Although Wade had a great season and a legendary finals performance, putting everything into perspective I give the SLIGHT edge to Kobe. In the 2006 season, we saw perimeter players feasting off of the rule changes and we witnessed the peak of what a fully healthy Kobe Bryant can do. He put up a 35ppg season, the first to do so since MJ. His defense slacked, which was to be expected with a guy having to do so much on the offensive end. But his scoring ability was unmatched. He could drive, shoot, anything imaginable. Wade performed great in the finals and captured his first NBA title and Finals MVP, but I think from a skillset standpoint Kobe was better than Wade, which is fair considering Wade was only in his 3rd year and Kobe was a 10 year vet.

2007 Season (Kobe) vs. 2009 Season (Wade): We saw more of the same from Kobe as far as scoring, but he showed a little more patience and playmaking on the offensive end. His defense was still shoddy, but he put on extra weight which hindered his ability to be as explosive or as mobile. He still lead the league in scoring at 31 ppg. He played great in the playoffs as well but just lost to a better team. Wade's 2009 season was probably his best. He bounced back from injury and captured his first scoring title at 30 ppg. He had to do almost everything for his team, reminiscent of Kobe post-Shaq pre-Gasol. I think I'll give the slight edge to Wade in this case. He just seemed to be at his absolute best while Kobe had a down year (for him at least, that's how good he was at the time).

2008 Season (Kobe) vs. 2010 Season (Wade): 2008 is my favorite version of Kobe. He had it all that year. He slimmed down some and regained that explosiveness and we really saw that athleticism of his. This was the last version of Kobe that could still slash effectively. His defense also went back to the 3 peat days. He played great man defense, but also played excellent help defense, something we hadn't always seen from him. His playmaking ability was at an all time high, and you could really tell he trusted his teammates. Wade was excellent in the 2010 season again, showing what he could do when healthy. I would say overall though, Kobe was just the better player. Outside of stats, Kobe was just at the absolute peak of his athleticism, skill and IQ where they all came together perfectly.

2009 Season (Kobe) vs. 2011 Season (Wade): I think 2009 Kobe is an underrated version of Kobe. Everyone just sees it as the year that Kobe started to decline athletically and become a jump shooter, but a lot of people forget how good he still was. His scoring went down to 27 ppg, but his FG% went up and he was still a great playmaker. His finals performance was also great, becoming one of a few to put up at least 33/8 in the finals, against the NBA's #1 defense at that. What I liked most about him was his refined post game. Kobe knew his knees wouldn't last him forever, so he developed a reliable post game (a la second 3 peat Jordan) which made him even more unguardable. He was also second in MVP voting only behind LeBron James after leading his team to a 65-17 record. He still showed flashed of incredible scoring with his MSG performance, breaking the record previously held by Bernard King with 61 points. His defense began to slack, but was still serviceable and he could guard anyone when he wanted to.

Wade's 2011 season was one of efficiency. He shot 50% from the field and continued to shine. His numbers dipped slightly, but that was because of playing with LeBron and Bosh. What stood out to me the most about Wade this season though was his efficiency, despite some very poor numbers against Boston in the regular season and in the ECF, Wade was very efficient from the field and was still an incredible slasher. His mid range game seemed to leave him a little bit though. Like he started to become more 1 dimensional, the opposite of Kobe becoming more of a jump shooter. His defense was good off ball, as he still racked up a ton of blocks but his defense was at times inconsistent. When he wanted to, he could lock up almost anyone and could play passing lanes very well. For me, this is really hard to choose, but I think I'll go with Kobe, although anyone could very well take Wade.

:applause: Great post. I am with you that 2009 was Kobe's most underrated season. 2008 and 2009 were Kobe's best all-around seasons, 2006 and 2007 he was a better scorer, but he wasn't as good in those other aspects as he was in 08 and 09.

2009 Kobe had a slight decline in athleticism, but his IQ and skill was still there which is why I felt like he was still in his basketball prime. There is a very big difference between one's basketball prime and one's athletic prime. Shaq's athletic prime was in Orlando while his basketball prime was in LA.

G-Funk
07-22-2011, 04:24 AM

Don't want to pick on your post cause I agree with almost everything you said except the part where you say that Wade is a better ball handler... Wade averaged nearly 4 TO through his career Kobe 3. Oh and defender as well, although Wade is a better help defender, Kobe in his prime defensively was amazing and better than Wade.

Lucifer
07-22-2011, 06:43 AM
I love how you don't even include Kobe's athletic prime years. he puts some big numbers up then.

Kobe's miles and miles better and has WON more then Wade. Not to mention, Wade was in a WEAK AZZ east for some of those years.

Wade depends way too much on his athleticism. once he's 31-32, he'll won't be top 10 in the league while the GOAT kobe bryant will be

catch24
07-22-2011, 06:43 AM

Great post, Rad. Knew I wasn't wrong calling you fairly knowledgeable :applause:

While I personally prefer Wade's 2009 year over all but Kobe's 2006 and 2008 seasons, he was somewhat disappointing in the playoffs. Most people expected him to DOMINATE in that series vs ATL, singlehandedly creating a second-round birth vs Cleveland. He really broke down, and not that I give him a pass for it, but dude was carrying such a load doing it on both ends for damn near 82 games. 30/5/7 and being the first player in NBA hiistory to accumulate 2,000 points, 500 assists, 100 steals and 100 blocks in a single-season.

catch24
07-22-2011, 06:52 AM
I love how you don't even include Kobe's athletic prime years. he puts some big numbers up then.

Kobe's miles and miles better and has WON more then Wade. Not to mention, Wade was in a WEAK AZZ east for some of those years.

Wade depends way too much on his athleticism. once he's 31-32, he'll won't be top 10 in the league while the GOAT kobe bryant will be

Kindly remove Kobe's nuts off your chin before posting in a topic related to him. You may happen to logicalize rationally for a change.

Doctor Rivers
07-22-2011, 06:56 AM
you all probably know how much "i hate kobe".......... ITS MOSTLY BECAUSE OF HIS MINDSET ON COURT (AND OFCOURT) AND HIS DELUSIONAL FANS...............

my point is..........

KOBE > WADE............. in every god damn department... offense & defense.......... wade is just more unselfish........ and oh yea... drawing whistles...

you just scared that lebron sucks.

wade > lebron

wade > kobe

NugzHeat3
07-22-2011, 12:06 PM
What I find even more funny about the people that think Wade was better than Kobe in 09 is that Kobe was actually 2nd in the MVP voting that year while Wade was 3rd.

Right. Team success obviously doesn't mean anything in MVP voting.

Eat Like A Bosh
07-22-2011, 12:34 PM
1. Overall scoring:

Wade is more of a slasher, most of his points come from in the paint, where he uses athleticism to get to the rim. However, Wade isn't a particularly great long range shooter, and his mid range game is mediocre at best. Wade isn't the type of player that can hurt you from anywhere.

Kobe has a more all around skill set, much better long range shooting and free throw shooting, as well as a deadly midrange game. He's a threat to score from anywhere, and one of the most dangerous streak scorers of all time. Kobe's the best impossible shot maker ever. Kobe's athleticism is not as great as Wade's(at least right now), therefore he doesn't attack the basket as recklessly as Wade, but his range, footwork and post game help compensate for that.

Edge: Kobe

2. Rebounding

Kobe Bryant averages 1.2 offensive rebounds to go along with 4.1 defensive rebounds for a career average of 5.3 rebounds per game.

Dwyane Wade averages 1.3 offensive rebounds per game to go along with 3.8 defensive rebounds for a career average of 5.1 rebounds per game.

Bryant grabbed a career-high 6.9 rebounds in 2003 and averaged 5.1 rebounds per game in 2011.
Wade grabbed a career-high 6.4 rebounds per game last season.

Furthermore, Kobe has never averaged under 5 boards since year 1999.

Dwyane Wade has averaged under 5 rebounds 4 times in his 8 year career.

The total rebounding percentage (an estimate of the percentage of available rebounds a player grabbed while he was on the floor, available in advanced statistic measures) edge goes to Bryant, 8.2 percent to 8.0 percent.

Rebounding is very close, and both players are decent rebounders for their positions, and grab big time boards.

Slight Edge: Kobe

3. Passing/Playmaking

Kobe Bryant has averaged 4.7 assists per game to go along with 2.9 turnovers for an assist-to-turnover ratio of 1.62:1. His career high in assists came in 2005, when he averaged 6.0 assists, and he averaged 4.7 assists per game in 2011.

Dwyane Wade has averaged 6.3 assists per game to go along with 3.6 turnovers for an assist-to-turnover ratio of 1.75:1. His career high in assists is 7.5 (in 2007 and 2009), and he averaged 4.6 assists per game in 2011.

But rating their playmaking with solely Assists is not that accurate. They may play different roles on their teams, as well as playing in a different system. From watching 2006 to 2008, I think Kobe has really had a bigger impact on his teammates than Wade. Especially in 2008.

But after 2008, I think Wade has been the slightly better playmaker. Wade has also played point guard more often.

Edge: Wade

4. Defense

Tough one, even though Kobe has 9 All Defensive first teams while Wade has 0. Both players are great defenders, but have the tendency to get lazy.

Looking solely at the steals and blocks numbers throughout their careers, proves Dwyane Wade is the better help defender.

Kobe is the better 1 on 1 defender. Aside from 2008 in recent years, Wade might've been a better defender in every other year. It's close.

Finally, Kobe edges out Wade in defensive rating (an estimate of points allowed per 100 possessions) 105-104 by a slightly margin.

If you've ever watched Basketball in the early 2000s, you'll know how good of a defender Kobe was. Afro Kobe was a lockdown defender.

Slight Edge: Kobe

5. Intangibles

These are two of the top SGs in the world, but when it's all said and done, intangibles are precisely what separate Kobe Bryant from the rest of the pack.

What's the first thing that comes to mind when you think of Kobe Bryant? Hunger. Will. Drive. Desire. Determination. Killer instinct. Clutch. A will to win at all costs. A never-say-die attitude. His amazing work ethic. An ultimate competitor. Refusing to fail. Utmost confidence.

I'll be honest

All Net
07-22-2011, 12:52 PM
Must be Kobe thread month

LA_Showtime
07-22-2011, 02:40 PM
Kobe. I'd say they're about even at their peak scoring abilities, with Bryant having the slight edge, but what really separates the two is Kobe's game management skills, which were more evident during the Shaq/Kobe era.

Heat1011
07-22-2011, 02:59 PM
Wade, plays more efficient.
Kobe is a shotjacker who can't shoot for shit when the game is on the line.

Wade Finals PER = 40.25

keepinitreal
07-22-2011, 03:46 PM

I think Kobe was simply the better player offensively. His all around skill set was off the charts when combined with above average athleticism back then which meant he was always a threat to score, and at the time, the most dangerous streak scorer/tough shot maker in history. He was a better shooter(particularly range shooter) as well as free throw shooter and he had a much better post game.

As far as passing/playmaking? Well, I don't think assist numbers tell the story here. For one, a lot of that depends on your role, I don't think the difference is huge either way, but Kobe in 2008 had a bigger impact on his teammates than Wade has, imo. And he showed this ability at times in '06 and '07, for example, the first half of the 2007 season when the lakers overachieved and were 26-15 before injuries, or the 2006 playoffs vs Phoenix.

I think both have proven that they can carry a bad team, but the 2008 Lakers also overachieved, imo and made it to the finals. If you followed that season, and keep in mind that Pau was only there for 26 games, Bynum was only there for 35 games(25 as a starter) and not at the same time, it's pretty remarkable that the Lakers got the number 1 seed in that ridiculously competitive West where every playoff team won at least 50 games. And they made it to the finals with Kobe averaging 32/6/6/51 FG%/61 TS% through the first 3 rounds, which included the Lakers 5 game victory over the defending champion Spurs who were a great defensive team.

Defense isn't a huge advantage either way here. Kobe is a better 1 on 1 defender, but Wade gave more effort on that end in 2009 than any of these Kobe seasons in question with the exception of 2008, but he's also been lazy at times defensively in the other seasons. I'd take 2008 Kobe defensively, but 2009 Wade over any of these other Kobe seasons defensively. Of course, this isn't mentioning 2000-2002 Kobe...

Heavincent
07-22-2011, 03:47 PM
Wade, plays more efficient.
Kobe is a shotjacker who can't shoot for shit when the game is on the line.

Wade Finals PER = 40.25

So Heat007 finally wiped the tears out of his eyes and came back to the forums, eh? How does it feel that your beloved Heat got smacked in the mouth? You must feel like an idiot after all the shit you talked throughout the year.

And also, lol at PER. ****ing useless stat.

The Iron Fist
07-22-2011, 04:18 PM
So Heat007 finally wiped the tears out of his eyes and came back to the forums, eh? How dos it feel that your beloved Heat got smacked in the mouth? You must feel like an idiot after all the shit you talked throughout the year.

And also, lol at PER. ****ing useless stat.

He had to have his tear ducts removed because they were working OT.

Heavincent
07-22-2011, 04:25 PM
You dick ...

That was so funny I spit gatorade out.

Especially the bold.

:oldlol:

I'm probably wasting my time. I think Heat007 is just a bot that only has about 15 sentences in its programming.

Jacks3
07-22-2011, 04:48 PM
Kobe. I'd say they're about even at their peak scoring abilities, with Bryant having the slight edge,
:wtf:

Wade 08-10--29 PPG/57% TS. 3 50+ pt games, 18 40+ pint games

Kobe 05-07---33.5 PPG/57% TS. 17 50+ point games, 45 40+ point games.

ZaaaaaH
07-22-2011, 05:20 PM
I honestly would have them ranked about the same. Kobe does things better than Wade, Wade does things better than Kobe. They are different types of SGs, but both are extremely effective at what they do. Combine them and you have MJ, though.

:pimp:

:no:

game3524
07-22-2011, 05:55 PM
Kobe at his peak and it really isn't close IMO. Bryant is more polished on the offensive end, Wade is quicker and he gets to the basket better then Bryant, but that is really the only advantage he has on Kobe.

Defensively, they are about equal.

In the end, I would take Bryant he is just a more versatile offensively player then Wade.

ShaqAttack3234
07-22-2011, 06:45 PM
01-03 Kobe was just as skilled as the older versions. Guys like Doug Collins were calling him the most skilled player in the league as early as 2000, he just didn't need to rely on it as much because of his greater athleticism, similar to 96-98 Jordan vs the 90-93 versions. Anyway, I have no doubt in my mind that the 01/03 versions get a similar amount of wins in the reg season, and do you honestly think he wouldn't put up better numbers than 30/6/5/56% in the post-season that he did? Against the like of the Jazz, Rockets without Yao, and Nuggets? Personally, I though Kobe's 09 run was a bit disappointing compared to what he did the previous year (32+/6/6/61% TS through the first 3 rounds), and I think 01/03 Kobe would have been more dominant with the new rules and greater athleticism.

I won't argue with Kobe being the most skilled already by that point, but I think he became even more skilled.

2002-2003 was the year he added more range to his shot. It's not just reflected in his 3P% and numbers, but watching him shoot 3s that year as opposed to before then, his form looked better and he seemed a lot more comfortable taking those shots.

He was already ridiculously skilled, but I think he continued to add to and refine his game.

Maybe 2003 Kobe gets a similar amount of wins, but I have a hard time seeing 2001 Kobe doing it, not due to a lack of individual ability, but more because of maturity. I think he was still figuring out how to fit his individual talent into the team and IMO, was a big reason why the Lakers underachieved early that year. He did show that he had that ability with his all around game in the playoffs and his improved playmaking in the second half as well.

But Kobe was capable of more individual in 2009 than he showed a lot of the time. He only played 36 mpg as opposed to 39 in '08 or '10, and that's due to the Lakers dominance at 65-17.

Look at his 61 point game or his WCF series for example. He averaged 34/6/6 in the WCF on 48 FG%/63 TS% with just 2.2 turnovers per game.

knightfall88
07-22-2011, 06:52 PM
When Wade learns to shoot, learns to post, learns to not be a sidekick, we can resume this topic

Bring-Your-Js
07-22-2011, 07:01 PM
I won't argue with Kobe being the most skilled already by that point, but I think he became even more skilled.

2002-2003 was the year he added more range to his shot. It's not just reflected in his 3P% and numbers, but watching him shoot 3s that year as opposed to before then, his form looked better and he seemed a lot more comfortable taking those shots.

He was already ridiculously skilled, but I think he continued to add to and refine his game.

Maybe 2003 Kobe gets a similar amount of wins, but I have a hard time seeing 2001 Kobe doing it, not due to a lack of individual ability, but more because of maturity. I think he was still figuring out how to fit his individual talent into the team and IMO, was a big reason why the Lakers underachieved early that year. He did show that he had that ability with his all around game in the playoffs and his improved playmaking in the second half as well.

But Kobe was capable of more individual in 2009 than he showed a lot of the time. He only played 36 mpg as opposed to 39 in '08 or '10, and that's due to the Lakers dominance at 65-17.

Look at his 61 point game or his WCF series for example. He averaged 34/6/6 in the WCF on 48 FG%/63 TS% with just 2.2 turnovers per game.

Kobe was exceptional until the slew of injuries hit him before the 2010 ASG. Say what they will about a drop off in athleticism from '08 to '09-10, he could still do everything.

Ikill
07-22-2011, 07:12 PM
When Wade learns to shoot, learns to post, learns to not be a sidekick, we can resume this topic
He was doing all of this in the Boston and Dallas series

Bring-Your-Js
07-22-2011, 07:48 PM
Get tired of hearing Kobe fell off big time after '08. I honestly feel like he got a legitimate second option and nothing more. When Gasol was out at the beginning of the 09-10 Season, Kobe was putting up 31 PPG on 48%. He had four 40+ point games (15/29, 15/30, 19/30, 17/29) including back-to-back. Dude still had it, definitely.

tpols
07-22-2011, 07:54 PM
Get tired of hearing Kobe fell off big time after '08. I honestly feel like he got a legitimate second option and nothing more. When Gasol was out at the beginning of the 09-10 Season, Kobe was putting up 31 PPG on 48%. He had four 40+ point games (15/29, 15/30, 19/30, 17/29) including back-to-back. Dude still had it, definitely.
I think they mean he fell off athletically.. which he did. The reason he was still extremely effective was because of his post game/footwork/midrange shot[and its not like he wasn't athletic then.. he just was less athletic than in 08]. Kobe's skillset is a huge reason for why he's still able to be a top 3 player in the league despite playing more seasons than almost everybody in the league right now.

LA_Showtime
07-22-2011, 08:00 PM
:wtf:

Wade 08-10--29 PPG/57% TS. 3 50+ pt games, 18 40+ pint games

Kobe 05-07---33.5 PPG/57% TS. 17 50+ point games, 45 40+ point games.

I was referring to their absolute best for one game only. Obviously Kobe is the superior scorer, but if they're at their best the difference would be minimal.

Patrick Chewing
07-22-2011, 08:39 PM
:no:

Damn you're still in this thread crying?? Give it a rest man. Be a man and acknowledge Wade's talents.

ShaqAttack3234
07-22-2011, 08:44 PM
Kobe was exceptional until the slew of injuries hit him before the 2010 ASG. Say what they will about a drop off in athleticism from '08 to '09-10, he could still do everything.

Kobe was off to an unbelievable start in 2009-2010. His post game looked unstoppable. I had him as the MVP before his injuries.

The Lakers started off 28-6 before Kobe's injuries and Kobe was averaging 29.9 ppg, 5.8 rpg, 4.6 apg and 2 spg on 48.2% from the field(56.6 TS%). They had started off 8-3 without Gasol and also won a game that Gasol only played 7 minutes in and another that he missed altogether so they were pretty much 10-3 without Gasol before Kobe got injured.

He seemed even better when Gasol was out because he used his post game more. That was actually some of the best offensive basketball I've seen him play.

You can kind of point to that season as the end of his prime and point to injuries in particular. Kind of like Barkley in 1994.

I think they mean he fell off athletically.. which he did. The reason he was still extremely effective was because of his post game/footwork/midrange shot[and its not like he wasn't athletic then.. he just was less athletic than in 08]. Kobe's skillset is a huge reason for why he's still able to be a top 3 player in the league despite playing more seasons than almost everybody in the league right now.

You think Kobe is still top 3?

BEAST Griffin
07-22-2011, 08:47 PM
If it's against the Phoenix Suns or the Toronto Raptors, I take Kobe Bryant.

If it's against the Boston Celtics, I take Dwyane Wade.

ZaaaaaH
07-22-2011, 08:51 PM
Damn you're still in this thread crying?? Give it a rest man. Be a man and acknowledge Wade's talents.

Are you retarded?

I been acknowledging Wades Talent. I even Said he is Top 5 SG right now But its gonna depend on what he does now since his career is not over yet especially with Media on his asss after LeBron and Bosh coming over. If Wade does not Win ANY Ring with this Squad He will be Bumped out of Top 5.

YOU NEED to give it a rest and UNDERSTAND Kobe is Far Greater then Wade fool.

Kobe has Proven Wade hasn't

Ronaldinho
07-22-2011, 08:55 PM
I was referring to their absolute best for one game only. Obviously Kobe is the superior scorer, but if they're at their best the difference would be minimal.
Can you agree that the best of Kobe for one game only and the best of MJ for one game only, the difference would be minimal?

LA_Showtime
07-22-2011, 09:06 PM
Can you agree that the best of Kobe for one game only and the best of MJ for one game only, the difference would be minimal?

In terms of scoring, yes. I'd argue that in terms of scoring, Kobe's best trumps Jordan's best because of his 3 point range. But again, we're going off a one game hypothetical situation so it wouldn't say much.

NugzHeat3
07-22-2011, 10:11 PM

No.

Kobe is a superior scorer and that would be clear even if they're at their best.

Wade has Kobe in some other areas like passing, playmaking, help defense and playoff performances in general.

RazorBaLade
07-22-2011, 11:44 PM
In terms of scoring, yes. I'd argue that in terms of scoring, Kobe's best trumps Jordan's best because of his 3 point range. But again, we're going off a one game hypothetical situation so it wouldn't say much.

wades only had 40 like twice right?

KenneBell
07-23-2011, 12:06 AM
No.
and playoff performances in general.
Nah. I don't see this one.

amfirst
07-23-2011, 12:30 AM
2006 Kobe was a one man army. Wade never had team mates as worst. There is no comparison. If Kobe had decent team mates in his prime he would destroy everyone. Instead, he was force to play 1 vs 4 every night. At least superstars on crappy teams had good three point shooters to kick it to when they get double like LeBron. Kobe had no one in his prime to pass to.

Phong
07-23-2011, 01:23 AM
2006 Kobe was a one man army. Wade never had team mates as worst. There is no comparison.
Here's a list of Kobe's teammates from 2005 to 2007: Lamar Odom, Smush Parker, Devean George, Kwame Brown, Brian Cook, Chris Mihm, Luke Walton, Sasha Vujacic, Jordan Farmar...

And here's a list of Wade's teammates from 2006 to 2009: Shaquille O'Neal, Alonzo Mourning, Jermaine O'Neal, Antoine Walker, Gary Payton, Jason Williams, Eddie Jones, Udonis Hasleem, Michael Beasley, Shawn Marion, James Posey...

Ikill
07-23-2011, 01:38 AM
Here's a list of Kobe's teammates from 2005 to 2007: Lamar Odom, Smush Parker, Devean George, Kwame Brown, Brian Cook, Chris Mihm, Luke Walton, Sasha Vujacic, Jordan Farmar...

And here's a list of Wade's teammates from 2006 to 2009: Shaquille O'Neal, Alonzo Mourning, Jermaine O'Neal, Antoine Walker, Gary Payton, Jason Williams, Eddie Jones, Udonis Hasleem, Michael Beasley, Shawn Marion, James Posey...
Wades teamates from 08-10 were as bad as Kobes 05-07

Ikill
07-23-2011, 01:39 AM
2006 Kobe was a one man army. Wade never had team mates as worst. There is no comparison. If Kobe had decent team mates in his prime he would destroy everyone. Instead, he was force to play 1 vs 4 every night. At least superstars on crappy teams had good three point shooters to kick it to when they get double like LeBron. Kobe had no one in his prime to pass to.
Wade was a one man army in 09 and 10 that team wouldn't even win 15 games without him.

The Iron Fist
07-23-2011, 02:04 AM
Wade was a one man army in 09 and 10 that team wouldn't even win 15 games without him.
Funny how Wade was on the Miami Heats team that won 15 games, with him.

Ikill
07-23-2011, 02:19 AM
Funny how Wade was on the Miami Heats team that won 15 games, with him.
he was injured and the Heat were tanking :facepalm

Anaximandro1
07-23-2011, 12:31 PM
In terms of the level of play,Wade is probably 2nd best SG ever.It's clear that Kobe struggles to score against the elite defenses.(*)

Wade

2005 Eastern Conference Finals / Pistons 4-3 over Heat

25.8 pts (FG 44%),4.5 rb,4.5 as,1.7 st,1.0 blk

2006 Eastern Conference Finals / Heat 4-2 over Pistons

26.7 pts (FG 61.7%),5.1 rb,5.5 as,1.8 st,1.5 blk

2010 ECFR / Celtics 4-1 over Heat

33.2 pts (FG 56.4%),5.6 rb,6.8 as,1.6 st,1.6 blk

2011 Eastern Conference Semifinals / Heat 4-1 over Celtics

30.2 pts (FG 52.6%),6.8 rb,4.8 as,2.0 st,0.6 blk

Kobe

1999 Western Conference Semifinals/ Spurs 4-0 over Lakers

21.2 pts (FG 44.7%),6.5 rb,3.5 as,1.8 st,0.5 blk

2003 Western Conference Semifinals/ Spurs 4-2 over Lakers

32.2 pts (FG 43.4% Kobe missed 90 of 159 shots),5.0 rb,3.7 as,1.0 st,0.2 blk

2004 NBA Finals / Pistons 4-1 over Lakers

22.6 pts (FG 38%),2.8 rb,4.4 as,1.8 st,0.6 blk

2008 NBA Finals / Celtics 4-2 over Lakers

25.7 pts (FG 40.5%),4.2 rb,6 as,2.5 st,0.2 blk

2010 NBA Finals / Lakers 4-3 over Celtics

28.6 pts (FG 40.5%),8.0 rb,3.9 as,2.1 st,0.7 blk

(*) 2001 -Spurs' backcourt: 38-year old Terry Porter,36-year old Avery Johnson and Antonio Daniels.

2008 -At 37 years old,Bruce Bowen was almost done and Manu was injured;both were useless on both ends in the Lakers series.

Allstar24
07-23-2011, 12:52 PM
It's always the same trolls creating these same threads comparing the same players...have seen it for the last 4 years on ISH. Nothing's changed.

Oh yeah, and Wade is not in Kobe's league. Not even close...this is an insult to Kobe, it doesn't even deserve a proper response.

PowerGlove
07-23-2011, 01:06 PM
It's always the same trolls creating these same threads comparing the same players...have seen it for the last 4 years on ISH. Nothing's changed.

Oh yeah, and Wade is not in Kobe's league. Not even close...this is an insult to Kobe, it doesn't even deserve a proper response.
All you do is cry.

Like I cannot think of post where you didnt try to summarize a thread and call either the topic at hand or the posters that didnt agree with you retarded. SMH.

Mr. I'm So Rad
07-23-2011, 05:48 PM
In terms of the level of play,Wade is probably 2nd best SG ever.It's clear that Kobe struggles to score against the elite defenses.(*)

Wade

Kobe

(*) 2001 -Spurs' backcourt: 38-year old Terry Porter,36-year old Avery Johnson and Antonio Daniels.

2008 -At 37 years old,Bruce Bowen was almost done and Manu was injured;both were useless on both ends in the Lakers series.

The Iron Fist
07-23-2011, 07:02 PM
he was injured and the Heat were tanking :facepalm
He played in more than 60 games.

Ikill
07-23-2011, 07:26 PM
He played 51 games in 08 dude couldn't dunk or blow by anyone people were saying he was done and would never be the same player again.

che guevara
07-23-2011, 07:26 PM
Explains why he played 51

Phong
07-23-2011, 07:32 PM
He played in more than 60 games.It was 51 games but he averaged 38 minutes per game. Quite a lot for an injured player trying to tank the season.

They deactivated Wade with 20 games left in the season. Why make him play that much if they wanted to tank from the beginning? Why make him play so much if he was so terribly injured? :confusedshrug:

jrong
07-23-2011, 07:58 PM
It was 51 games but he averaged 38 minutes per game. Quite a lot for an injured player trying to tank the season.

They deactivated Wade with 20 games left in the season. Why make him play that much if they wanted to tank from the beginning? Why make him play so much if he was so terribly injured? :confusedshrug:

It was his choice. He was advised to shut it down in December once the playoffs were a lost-cause, but he felt he owed it to his teammates and the fans. It was a strategically dumb decision, considering he could have recovered that much quicker, and as a PR maneuver in terms of what it did to his rep, it was a disaster. However, it also illustrates what the fans love about him. Whatever he has in him to give, how much or how little, he lays it out there every time he puts on the uniform.

(Contrast that to the other two members of the Big 3: James-- quits on the Cavs in the playoffs; Bosh-- quits on the Raps after the allstar break; Wade-- fights like hell and makes a five game one-on-five series vs. the eventual NBA runner-up Celtics as close as a five game series can possibly be).

The great irony is that Shaq managed to get off that season scot-free in terms of his rep, even though he literally quit on the Heat. Wade didn't play the first eight games of the season; Shaq left him an 0-8 hole once he got back. Soon after, Shaq just decided he didn't even want to give the effort to suit up anymore.

But, then Shaq's tantrums finally got him a ticket to Phoenix whereupon he magically recovered-- oh that's right, Shaq, I forgot, it was the mystical powers of the Suns' training staff. And so Shaq's reputation remained in-tact, and meanwhile Wade, who played essentially with one arm and leg, was being called a non-top 5 shooting guard (that's right, they didn't say he wasn't a top 5 player-- they said he wasn't top 5 at his position) by commentators on national TV.

The Iron Fist
07-23-2011, 11:43 PM
He played 51 games in 08 dude couldn't dunk or blow by anyone people were saying he was done and would never be the same player again.
51 or more than 60.

Still more than half of the season.

And he was only worth 15 wins. But probably less because I think I remember the Heats won about 5 games without him.

So, in 51 games, he was worth something like 10 wins.

lol

ShaqAttack3234
07-24-2011, 12:28 AM
If you're going to use 2008 to judge Wade's value to his team then why not look at Kobe at that same age in 2005? The Lakers were 34-48(28-38 with Kobe, really 27-38 since they won a game that he only played 6 minutes in). And they went 2-17 in Kobe's last 19 games, if you insist on a round number, then it's still only 3-17 in his last 20.

Of course, Kobe had injuries that season and that has to be considered, but the same thing has to be considered for Wade, who most would agree had more serious injuries and a much worse cast than what Kobe had in 2005.

And the numbers should show how far Wade was from his usual level.

2006- 27.2 ppg, 5.7 rpg, 6.7 apg, 3.6 TO, 1.9 spg, 0.8 bpg, 49.5 FG%, 57.7 TS%
2007(pre-injuries)- 28.8 ppg, 4.8 rpg, 7.8 apg, 4.2 TO, 2.1 spg, 1.3 bpg, 49.5 FG%, 59.2 TS%
2008- 24.6 ppg, 4.2 rpg, 6.9 apg, 4.4 TO, 1.7 spg, 0.7 bpg, 46.9 FG%, 54.9 TS%
2009- 30.2 ppg, 5 rpg, 7.5 apg, 3.4 TO, 2.2 spg, 1.3 bpg, 49.1 FG%, 57.4 TS%
2010- 26.6 ppg, 4.8 rpg, 6.5 apg, 3.3 TO, 1.8 spg, 1.1 bpg, 47.6 FG%, 56.2 TS%

And the numbers don't even begin to tell the story. Watching Wade that year, he was so much less explosive.

And how about the team success in other seasons.

2006- 48-27 with Wade, and they won a title
2007- 25-20 with Wade before injuries
2008- 10-41 with Wade(10-39 with him starting)
2009- 42-37 with Wade
2010- 45-32 with Wade

2008 was obviously due to him playing injured a horrendous cast. 2007, 2009 and 2010 are evidence of him carrying poor/mediocre casts to respectable records.

Scoooter
07-24-2011, 02:26 AM
Dwyane Wade and this shit ain't close. :banana:

Eat Like A Bosh
07-24-2011, 11:13 AM
If you have an opinion, post an argument to support your case.

Don't be like "Oh it ain't even close"

Doctor Rivers
07-24-2011, 12:27 PM

2nd best SG ever

AlphaWolf24
07-24-2011, 12:31 PM

2nd best SG in 2011

fixed

Doctor Rivers
07-24-2011, 12:36 PM
fixed

2nd best SG ever

fixed again.

AlphaWolf24
07-24-2011, 12:39 PM
fixed again.

Kobe>Wade>MJ?......

you crazy..:roll:

buncha stans up in this piece.

Boston C's
07-24-2011, 05:02 PM
Honestly ppl are forgetting how good kobe was back in 05-06... guy could do whatever he wanted on the offensive end...granted he was a gunner but his teammates were ass so he had to be a one man army... Kobe in prime>Wade in prime... but neither are seeing M.J like some of these posters think

LA_Showtime
07-24-2011, 07:08 PM
Honestly ppl are forgetting how good kobe was back in 05-06... guy could do whatever he wanted on the offensive end...granted he was a gunner but his teammates were ass so he had to be a one man army... Kobe in prime>Wade in prime... but neither are seeing M.J like some of these posters think

Kobe in his prime is arguably closer to Jordan than Wade is to Kobe.

Vragrant
07-24-2011, 08:24 PM

ThaSwagg3r
07-24-2011, 08:45 PM
http://www.midwestsportsfans.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/06/mj-laughing.gif

Ronaldinho
07-24-2011, 09:44 PM
It is.Carrer wise and as a player Kobe is closer to Jordan than Wade to Kobe.

Doctor Rivers
07-24-2011, 10:13 PM

ive never seen this gif before..

Scoooter
07-24-2011, 10:35 PM
If you have an opinion, post an argument to support your case.

Don't be like "Oh it ain't even close"
I think the banana makes my case quite enthusiastically.

BEAST Griffin
07-25-2011, 12:45 AM

Funniest sentence I read all week.

WeGetRing2012
06-16-2014, 06:28 PM
Wooooh!!! :lol :lol :lol :lol

red1
06-16-2014, 06:34 PM
Wooooh!!! :lol :lol :lol :lol
why you do this man

TheBigVeto
06-16-2014, 07:40 PM
The #1 and #2 most overrated SGs of all time.
Wade is better than Kobe though.