PDA

View Full Version : Official Kevin Durant vs Carmelo Anthony Thread

EnoughSaid
08-02-2011, 12:04 AM
http://www.dailythunder.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/03/nba_g_melo_durant_576.jpg

Who is the better player? Who do you think is more consistent? Let's take a look:

STATS: (from last season)

Carmelo Anthony:

25.6 points per game, 2.9 assists per game, 7.3 rebounds per game at a 45% from the field.

Kevin Durant:

27.7 points per game, 2.7 assists per game, 6.8 rebounds per game at a 46% from the field.

What is Melo clearly better at?
1. Better clutch performer
2. Better low post scorer
3. Better rebounder

What is Durant clearly better at?
1. Better shooter.
2. Better FT shooter.

WHO DO YOU THINK IS BETTER?

L3B120N J4M35
08-02-2011, 12:05 AM
Carmelo Anthony any day

knickswin
08-02-2011, 12:10 AM
This is going to become the "Official Joyner Having a Conniption Fit" thread in about five minutes

dee-rose
08-02-2011, 12:10 AM
inb4 joyner

Sarcastic
08-02-2011, 12:11 AM
inb4 joyner

Per 40

EnoughSaid
08-02-2011, 12:12 AM
Joyner can say whatever he wants if he doesn't jump on people who disagree with him.

dee-rose
08-02-2011, 12:15 AM
Per 40
KD : 28.5 points per 40 on 59% TS
Melo: 28.6 points per 40 on 55% TS
:rolleyes:
/thread

/joyner

ballerz
08-02-2011, 12:16 AM
KD

Samurai Swoosh
08-02-2011, 12:17 AM
Durant isn't as versatile a scorer, close ... but not exact. They still are probably a similar caliber scorer. Durant might already be the better defender. Durant will probably easily wind up being the better, more accomplished player.

Eric Cartman
08-02-2011, 12:21 AM
Melo

EnoughSaid
08-02-2011, 12:22 AM
Durant isn't as versatile a scorer, close ... but not exact. They still are probably a similar caliber scorer. Durant might already be the better defender. Durant will probably easily wind up being the better, more accomplished player.

You can't say easily, because Melo is next to a top 5 PF that can help out a lot. Melo is also in a bigger market team, so he has the better chance of landing someone big in FA. I personally see the Knicks with a better chance in the next 5 years. I think Durant's window is at 32 ppg tops.

Heavincent
08-02-2011, 12:24 AM
KD will probably end up being a better player in a few years, but right now? I'll take Melo.

O.J A 6'4Mamba
08-02-2011, 12:25 AM
You can't say easily, because Melo is next to a top 5 PF that can help out a lot. Melo is also in a bigger market team, so he has the better chance of landing someone big in FA. I personally see the Knicks with a better chance in the next 5 years. I think Durant's window is at 32 ppg tops.

Would anyone seriously take Kevin Durant if you had to win one playoff game over Melo? That right there is the better question.

EnoughSaid
08-02-2011, 12:27 AM
Would anyone seriously take Kevin Durant if you had to win one playoff game over Melo? That right there is the better question.

Melo is a more determined guy in my opinion. You saw him torching the Celtics in game 2? Durant never faced a good defensive team like the Celtics in the playoffs.

Sarcastic
08-02-2011, 12:28 AM
Melo is a more determined guy in my opinion. You saw him torching the Celtics in game 2? Durant never faced a good defensive team like the Celtics in the playoffs.

Yea he did. The Lakers 2 years ago, and he got shut down.

EnoughSaid
08-02-2011, 12:31 AM
Yea he did. The Lakers 2 years ago, and he got shut down.

And it was during his best year as well. I think Durant is JUST a scorer. He isn't a great rebounder, shot-blocker, playmaker, passer or defender. He is truly one-dimensional.

knickswin
08-02-2011, 12:47 AM
Well in fairness to Durant that was his first time in the playoffs and Artest is a pretty good defender. Carmelo played pretty horribly in his first playoffs too, although he was a rookie in his first playoffs.

The big problems I have with Durant is he isn't great at creating his own shot and he is weak. He gets pushed out of his spots too easily and doesn't have a post game because he is so thin. Also, I think that he has improved his handles since last year but they are still weak for a small forward. Defenders shouldn't be able to play him as close as they do without getting their ankles broken and yet that never seems to happen.

Rose
08-02-2011, 12:49 AM
And it was during his best year as well. I think Durant is JUST a scorer. He isn't a great rebounder, shot-blocker, playmaker, passer or defender. He is truly one-dimensional.
Regggiiieeeeee Millllllllllllllerrrrrrrrrr.

knickswin
08-02-2011, 12:52 AM
Regggiiieeeeee Millllllllllllllerrrrrrrrrr.

He is kind of like Reggie Miller, but he is better because he is taller. His strides are longer so he can come in closer to the basket off screens and he can shoot over pretty much anyone.

Rose
08-02-2011, 01:18 AM
He is kind of like Reggie Miller, but he is better because he is taller. His strides are longer so he can come in closer to the basket off screens and he can shoot over pretty much anyone.
Pretty much that's the only difference. And Reggie's a better defender.

knickswin
08-02-2011, 01:25 AM
See, this can be a somewhat pleasant discussion until Joyner joins in and it becomes,

"Kevin Durant has achieved more in four years than Carmelo Anthony could even dream to achieve!!! He is the SCORING CHAMPION and FIBA MVP and ROOKIE OF THE YEAR and THE YOUNGEST ALL NBA FIRST TEAM PLAYER OF ALL TIME and he scored 30 POINTS ON 60%TS% :bowdown: :bowdown: :bowdown:"

And then he'll post of bunch of per 40 statistics (well he did that last year, but Carmelo's per 40 stats were better this year so he won't do that) and some BS stats that say that Durant is a better scorer in isolation.

28renyoy
08-02-2011, 03:06 AM
Durant
Career 25.9/6.3/2.7 57.6 TS% 49.8 eFG% 21.8 PER .154 WSp48
Best season 30.1/7.6/2.8 60.7 TS% 51.4 eFG% 26.2 PER .238 WSp48
Career postseason 27.7/8.0/2.7 56.0 TS% 47.3 eFG% 22.3 PER .178 WSp48
Best postseason 28.6/8.2/2.8 58.2 TS% 50.3 eFG% 24.1 PER .217 WSp48

Anthony
Career 24.6/6.3/3.0 54.5 TS% 47.9 eFG% 20.3 PER .126 WSp48
Best season 28.9/6.0/3.8 56.3 TS% 49.3 eFG% 22.0 PER .153 WSp48
Career postseason 24.7/7.3/3.1 52.1 TS% 44.6 eFG% 19.6 PER .106 WSp48
Best postseason 27.2/5.8/4.1 56.4 TS% 49.1 eFG% 24.3 PER .201 WSp48

Durant in 4 years
2 scoring titles-youngest all time
2X all nba 1st team-youngest all time
2X top 5 MVP finish-youngest all time
2-2 playoff record
ROY

Melo in 8 years
0 scoring titles
0 all nba 1st team
0 top 5 MVP finishes
2-8 playoff record
0 ROY

Durant these past 2 years(start of all star years)
29/7/3 60 TS%

Melo these past 2 years
26/7/3 55 TS%
:rolleyes:

In b4 per 36 unless u think Kobe>wade last season. Melo averages 3 less ppg while taking 1 more fgam than Durant.

Honestly this discussion is old and tired, just troll bait for me. Go to a real forum like realgm and u see 95% of posters finding this topic a joke. Durant to Melo is like Melo to pierce. A clear gap with Durant clearly being the better player.

OKCThunderUP
08-02-2011, 03:30 AM

Versatility doesn't mean dick when the one-dimensional player (Durant, in this case) still scores more than Melo on 9 out of 10 nights and does it more efficiently.

28renyoy
08-02-2011, 03:37 AM
Also how in the he'll is Durant supposedly 1 dimensional? If he is then 80% of the league is. He's a fantastic rebounder and shot blocker at his position while being slightly above average defensively. And he ranked what, 6th among small forwards in assists last yr? :lol

The entire Melo is superior argument is basically saying 1x1/1>2 because it's more complex

knicksman
08-02-2011, 03:56 AM
Versatility doesn't mean dick when the one-dimensional player (Durant, in this case) still scores more than Melo on 9 out of 10 nights and does it more efficiently.

let durant score in iso first before we can compare the 2. until then, this is not a comparison. melo is even better on iso than lebron( the so called best player in this league) so theres really no comparison.melo already increased his efficiency when playing off the ball in new york

28renyoy
08-02-2011, 04:01 AM
let durant score in iso first before we can compare the 2. until then, this is not a comparison. melo is even better on iso than lebron( the so called best player in this league) so theres really no comparison.melo already increased his efficiency when playing off the ball in new york

Uh Melo is marginally better than Durant in iso and far inferior to LeBron. The difference statistically between pantheon & Durant in iso is basically negligible

knicksman
08-02-2011, 08:18 AM
Uh Melo is marginally better than Durant in iso and far inferior to LeBron. The difference statistically between pantheon & Durant in iso is basically negligible

how come lebron is not good in halfcourt or in the clutch if he is really that good genius?

EnoughSaid
08-02-2011, 08:41 AM
Stats aside, would you still take Melo?

Kyle_korver
08-02-2011, 08:46 AM
Durant and it's not even a fair debate anymore.. 2 time scoring champ n his career high in fg attempts is 31 n he never took 30 shots last season .. WCF .. Comepared to first round sweep.. Come on let's be real

LJJ
08-02-2011, 09:09 AM

You are insane. This OKC completely stomps on this Knicks team, and their four best players are 22 years or younger. You are insane if you think Melo is in a better situation.

knicksman
08-02-2011, 09:12 AM
You are insane. This OKC completely stomps on this Knicks team, and their four best players are 22 years or younger. You are insane if you think Melo is in a better situation.

yah coz a team without a big man is better. tell me again what team has won without a big man genius?unless you think durant is jordan and westbrook is pippen

knicksman
08-02-2011, 09:13 AM
Durant and it's not even a fair debate anymore.. 2 time scoring champ n his career high in fg attempts is 31 n he never took 30 shots last season .. WCF .. Comepared to first round sweep.. Come on let's be real

LOL at scoring champ. melo could have been if he never had AI in his team and west now is like the east before where AI and lebron could make the finals with a weak team.

ZaaaaaH
08-02-2011, 09:24 AM
]LOL at scoring champ. melo could have been if he never had AI in his team and west now is like the east before where AI and lebron could make the finals with a weak team[/B].

:bowdown: Post of the Day !

:facepalm :facepalm :facepalm

ShaqAttack3234
08-02-2011, 09:39 AM
Melo is a better post player and has better moves with the ball, Durant is a better off the ball player. Mid-range game iis pretty close, and I'll give Durant the edge as a 3 point shooter, but Melo shot 3s very well as a Knick and has shown the ability to do that well the past few seasons.

Durant is better at drawing fouls, as much as I hate to include that, it does allow him to score even on off nights, and has to be factored in when discussing how effective of a basketball player he is.

Melo is a better rebounder and passer. I've seen both show potential defensively, but neither is particularly good at that end on a consistent basis.

Melo is a better clutch player as well.

The numbers will say Durant is better, but I think you have to look at more than numbers. Melo has more ability, but he's lazier and hasn't seemed to put it together for a full season.

Melo's '09 season was way better than the numbers suggest and he was great in the playoffs, but he had some injuries.

He started off playing great in 2007, but had the suspension and then had to adjust to playing with another superstar(Iverson) when he came back.

He was playing great once again to start 2010, but had some more injuries.

This past season, he seemed pretty lazy to start the season, but turned it on around midseason and after a little time to adjust, I thought he played really well with the Knicks.

I think you could pick either player and not look stupid.

Borderlands
08-02-2011, 11:04 AM
Interesting question.

They both have a knack for scoring but Durant is the one with the scoring title. Carmelo will I dont want to say never but isnt likely to win one.

I find that Carmelo scores on offensive rebounds (putbacks) alot more then Durant.

It depends on what kinda teammates you have. For me as a player and my playstyle, I'd take Melo cuz he rebounds better (I hell no get rebounds). Im not an assertive young gun who runs which I think Durant's game favors. Im more street. But if you ask the next guy, they may go for Durant for exactly the same reason (complimentary playstyle).

Durant is the better player because he has more mismatches...but i cant think of any other reason.

Eat Like A Bosh
08-02-2011, 12:40 PM
I think Melo is more reliable right now, and has a better arsenal of moves. He also plays much bigger than Durant.

I like Durant though, but let's not forget he's 22.

Kevin_Gamble
08-02-2011, 02:03 PM
How is this even a question? Durant scores more, shoots better, and lol at the Knicks homers who say Melo is a good defender/ rebounder/ passer.

Smoke117
08-02-2011, 03:17 PM
How is this even a question? Durant scores more, shoots better, and lol at the Knicks homers who say Melo is a good defender/ rebounder/ passer.

Agreed. Can't stand Knick fans. Nobody is more delusional then a Knick fan.

Rowe
08-02-2011, 04:25 PM

He is.

Where is the proof he isnt a better defender, rebounder, & passer than Durant? People have gone way too overboard criticizing Melo's defense despite none of them even watching him play much in Denver. Melo gets lazy on defense sometimes, but so does guys like LeBron & Rose. I found it funny how everyone put the Knicks defensive struggles on Melo despite us not having an interior defense.

knickswin
08-02-2011, 04:44 PM
He is.

Where is the proof he isnt a better defender, rebounder, & passer than Durant? People have gone way too overboard criticizing Melo's defense despite none of them even watching him play much in Denver. Melo gets lazy on defense sometimes, but so does guys like LeBron & Rose. I found it funny how everyone put the Knicks defensive struggles on Melo despite us not having an interior defense.

yeah Carmelo gets too much hate about his defense. I know I'm a Knicks fan but I'm not blind to my players' inabilities. Amar'e is pretty horrific on defense most of the time, Landry's D is overrated because people think he's Shane Battier 2.0--he doesn't really have exceptional defensive awareness and there are many 2 guards who can just torch him, Toney gambles too much, and Chauncey is too old to do anything against the young, fast point guards of the league although he is a high IQ defender and still has some use on that end particularly guarding off-ball.

Carmelo is lazy most of the time and you don't see him running around with the help D like Lebron does, but he is a very competent man defender. He is strong and has very quick feet which means he is exceptional at defending players in the last few possesions of a game.

boozehound
08-02-2011, 04:47 PM
meh, a team with 3 maxes (or close to it) in a pg and two forwards who dont defend will never win anything. Sure, they may score a lot of points and be fun to watch, but you need more than 3 players (even when they do play defense). That is way too much salary (depending on the new CBA) to put into 3 guys who are primarily one-sided players (ill give you paul is an adequate overall defender and superb in some aspects).

boozehound
08-02-2011, 04:48 PM
yah coz a team without a big man is better. tell me again what team has won without a big man genius?unless you think durant is jordan and westbrook is pippen
wait, whos your bigman? Amar'e? Please. I would agree that the thunder are much better constructed going forward, even if you land paul. Now, it howard ends up there, that is a different story, but right now, Ill take the thunder every time.

boozehound
08-02-2011, 04:49 PM
He is.

hes a solid/great rebounder no doubt. Anyone saying his defense is above average is kidding themselves.

knicksman
08-03-2011, 12:22 AM
wait, whos your bigman? Amar'e? Please. I would agree that the thunder are much better constructed going forward, even if you land paul. Now, it howard ends up there, that is a different story, but right now, Ill take the thunder every time.

LOL. better constructed my ass. tell me what team has won without a big man? unless you think durant is jordan. and durant's second option is westbrook. a position(score first pgs) where no team has won since the creation the league. knicks easily destroyed memphis(the team where durant almost lost) in the regular season.

OKCThunderUP
08-03-2011, 12:36 AM
LOL. better constructed my ass. tell me what team has won without a big man? unless you think durant is jordan. and durant's second option is westbrook. a position(score first pgs) where no team has won since the creation the league. knicks easily destroyed memphis(the team where durant almost lost) in the regular season.

Delusional.

ThaSwagg3r
08-03-2011, 01:22 AM
It truly is a toss up in my opinion. Anyone who thinks one is clearly better than the other is either stupid or just kidding themselves.

Melo to me is the more skilled player. He can score more in a variety of ways with the ball which is an advantage especially in the clutch, the playoffs, and pretty much anytime defenses tighten up and focus. Melo also receives the ball better (will explain more about that later). It explains why Melo is the more clutch player of the two. Even though Melo is the more skilled player, he isn't a more productive scorer than Durant is.

Melo averaged 26 ppg in the 10-11 season while Durant averaged 28 ppg. Both of them shot 46% from the field.

Durant scores the ball more with off-ball movement which is vintage and I like it. It can get stationary defenders like Ron Artest more tired because they are not use to all that running and running through all those screens. Even though Durant scores the ball more in that style, it is not like he can't score by creating his own shot with the ball either. Durant may not be as lethal of a scorer as Melo is with the ball but he is still pretty darn good scorer with the ball himself.

Barkley already said it best, Durant and Melo are the best scorers, the only difference is that Durant scores more on jump shots while Melo plays in the post more. That really is all the difference, still, a post game is a huge advantage to have, especially over someone who doesn't have one.

I would say Melo is slightly better in other areas of the game like passing, ball-handling, and rebounding but he isn't significantly better than Durant at those areas. I would say Durant is the better defender of the two, but he isn't significantly better than Melo at that area either. I don't think either are better than each other at those areas enough to make it a deciding factor.

I think in the playoffs I would rather have Melo's game than Durant's. Melo's game is just more suited for the playoffs IMO. I am sure you guys are going to tell me, "Melo shot like 38% from the field against the Celtics while Durant made it all the way to the WCF and would have made it and possibly win the finals if it weren't for Westbrook messing it all up."

Well maybe you guys should consider the fact that both Billups and Amare were out for the entire series after Game 1 of the Celtics-Knicks series. Melo had literally no help, who was the best player left on that team? A rookie Landry Fields? An inexperienced Shawne Williams? Bill Walker? He had to work with a bunch of role players and scrubs who weren't use to this style of play and in this amount of minutes. Melo started to face double and triple teams when both of those guys went down and it is difficult enough to try and score against the Celtics defense, now picture trying to score against the Celtics defense with double and triple teams.

Melo did all he could in Game 2 of that series. He put up 42/17/6 with 47% shooting and he almost single handily won that game for them. Unfortunately at the end, the Celtics just overwhelmed Melo and the Knicks with their amount of talent.

After that game I was pretty much convinced that the Knicks would lose that series. I was actually one of the few people that thought the Knicks would upset the Celtics in that series but I didn't expect both Billups and Amare to go down for the series.

Not to take anything away from Durant and his dominating playoff performances. He did lead his team to the WCF, but we should look at the context here. He did have more help, much more help actually.

He dominated the Nuggets in 5 in the first series and advanced past the Grizzlies in Game 7 and had a 39/9 game with 52% shooting in that crucial Game 7. Durant started to struggle against the Mavericks after Game 2 of that series. Sure, Durant dominated the Mavericks in those first two games, but he started to really struggle when defenses started to mix it up against him with the zone, putting different defenders like Kidd, Stevenson, Marion on him, and etc..

After game 2, Durant shot 7-22, 9-22, and 8-20 for the rest of the series.

This is why versatile scoring is important. In another thread I posted why versatile scoring is important.....

For example, let's say Player A has one offensive move he converts at 55% on average.

Player B is capable of the same offensive move, but has another move that Player A doesn't have to which he converts both at 45% on average.

Player A has a greater impact throughout the regular season because of his higher efficiency.

However, when you get to the playoffs, the defense tightens up. If you keep going in the playoffs, you'll inevitably end up facing against the best defenses in the league. If the defense is good enough to limit Player A's move to 35%, then he has nothing else to fall back on. Whereas, if they limit the same move of Player's B to 35%, he can fall back on his other move, to maybe which they can only limit to 40-45%. In this scenario, Player B has a greater impact than Player A.

I also remember there were articles during the Grizz-Thunder series that getting the ball to Durant is a tough job. The Grizz defenders were denying him the ball completely and when he did get the ball he would get it like 5-6 ft away from the 3 point-line. It is not the same with Melo because Melo posts up and Melo can get into post position against anyone due to his strength. Durant also lacks at the strength area whereas Melo excels at it. Getting the ball to Melo isn't as difficult as a task as it is with Durant.

That is why I feel like Melo is currently better suited for the playoffs than Durant is.

Either way, if we are talking about going forward I would take Durant over Melo any day of the week. Durant is probably the hardest worker in the NBA today while Melo is one of the more lazier players. Hard work beats talent when talent doesn't work hard. Melo is the more talented player but Durant is the harder worker. It's not like Melo is an another level than Durant talent-wise either because they are fairly comparable.

Melo may be better now, but he better enjoy it while it lasts because there is no question in my mind that Durant will end up being the better player. I actually think Durant will be the best player in the league very soon. But once he does become the better player he will not look back....

knicksman
08-03-2011, 02:47 AM
Delusional.

you guys are the one whos delusional. thinking oklahoma is some contender when youre team just got lucky that the teams last last season were gone.

OKCThunderUP
08-03-2011, 03:03 AM
you guys are the one whos delusional. thinking oklahoma is some contender when youre team just got lucky that the teams last last season were gone.

Have fun with your first round exits. We'll be playing in the WCF and Finals over the next decade.

pauk
08-03-2011, 03:06 AM
damn....... this is like the biggest wash / tossup ever....

ridicilously extremly similar games on both ends.....

MJ(Mean John)
08-03-2011, 04:18 AM
KD is cool and all, I just think he is slightly overrated.

If his shot isnt ON, what else can he do?
He isnt going to kill you from the post or off the dribble.

Melo will.

Melo can tear you UP.

Melo can play with 4 scrubs the whole game and still drop 30.

KD on the other hand I feel will struggle a lot to get past 25 (playing with 4 scrubs) unless he's chucking.

knightfall88
08-03-2011, 05:26 AM
My opinion is that Melo is better at Durant at pretty much every skill there is when you break it down. However Durant has more persistence and determination, stronger mentally and that is enough to make him a better player.

if Melo asserts himself, he can the best player in the game though. I expect it next season

Soothing Layup
08-03-2011, 06:08 AM
Once KD gets better handles and post game its over for Melo. KD has the perfect body style for the NBA. 6'10 and very long arms with a deadly jumpshot.

knicksman
08-03-2011, 06:35 AM
Have fun with your first round exits. We'll be playing in the WCF and Finals over the next decade.

looks like youre still a kid. amares team has been contending since his 3rd yr.

Kevin_Gamble
08-03-2011, 08:29 AM

Melo will.

Melo can tear you UP.

KD on the other hand I feel will struggle a lot to get past 25 (playing with 4 scrubs) unless he's chucking.

Melo will kill you from the post or off the dribble? More like Melo will shoot a low percentage from the post or off the dribble.

Melo's career playoff FG% is 42%, and he has shot below 40% in 3 playoffs. To me that doesn't exactly qualify as tearing you up.

KD sucked his first ever playoffs but he was tearing it up this year, while Melo was sucking.

Kyle_korver
08-03-2011, 02:01 PM

Melo will.

Melo can tear you UP.

really?.........:hammerhead: :facepalm :banghead: ..... name 4 good player off durants rookie team

ThaSwagg3r
08-03-2011, 02:06 PM
Melo will kill you from the post or off the dribble? More like Melo will shoot a low percentage from the post or off the dribble.

Melo's career playoff FG% is 42%, and he has shot below 40% in 3 playoffs. To me that doesn't exactly qualify as tearing you up.

KD sucked his first ever playoffs but he was tearing it up this year, while Melo was sucking.
Maybe you should read the post I made on top of page 4.

http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/showpost.php?p=6233089&postcount=46
really?.........:hammerhead: :facepalm :banghead: ..... name 4 good player off durants rookie team
Because Durant as a rookie was just as good as Durant now. :rolleyes: :facepalm

mentallooser
08-03-2011, 02:12 PM
I feel like Melo can still get his points if he isn't shooting all that well. Durant doesn't put that confidence in me. Both are amazing players though and I would be equally happy with either on my Pacers.

28renyoy
08-03-2011, 02:40 PM
I love this thread. Melo is better/more consistent yet he puts up worse numbers consistently in the playoffs/regular season

Samurai Swoosh
08-03-2011, 02:42 PM
Once KD gets better handles
:facepalm

KD has GREAT handles for a guy his size. In fact probably can't get much better than how he does it.

He's just not quick off the dribble. Little explosion. But he's very deceptive and talented w/ his dribble.

ThaSwagg3r
08-03-2011, 02:45 PM
I love this thread. Melo is better/more consistent yet he puts up worse numbers consistently in the playoffs/regular season
Read my post and attempt to argue back then...

The game exists beyond numbers you know....

Bigsmoke
08-03-2011, 02:51 PM
lol this really is the new "Duncan vs KG" debate.

Samurai Swoosh
08-03-2011, 02:52 PM
You are the most insightful poster on ISH

: |

Bigsmoke
08-03-2011, 02:54 PM

that was one game though. Melo overall didnt play well the series.

Durant was able to get his over well known defenders like Tony Allen and Shane Battier if that counts. :confusedshrug:

Borderlands
08-03-2011, 02:56 PM

Man a bunch of these posters are tearing up Melo. Melo is a MUCH better rebounder meaning he gets put backs and lay ins. Melo on the post gets high percentage baskets. Melo has a better offensive arsenal even though Durant is the scoring champ (simply because he's 6'11 and can light people up at his height) all day.

Durant is rare because he has the handles at 6'10-6'11 and he has the J...But lets talk about a dude thats more all-around offensively and is actually a SF not a extremely tall SG.

28renyoy
08-03-2011, 03:00 PM
Im loving this "Durant played well in one game, Melo always plays well" argument.

Durant averaged 29 ppg in the playoffs last year on 58 TS%

Melo averaged 26 ppg in the playoffs on 51 TS%

:lol

ThaSwagg3r
08-03-2011, 03:11 PM
that was one game though. Melo overall didnt play well the series.

Durant was able to get his over well known defenders like Tony Allen and Shane Battier if that counts. :confusedshrug:
Did you factor in how Melo was missing two of his best players Billups and Amare? Melo was facing double and triple teams the entire series. What was Durant dealing with? Durant was having a difficult time just getting the ball in his hands.

Im loving this "Durant played well in one game, Melo always plays well" argument.

Durant averaged 29 ppg in the playoffs last year on 58 TS%

Melo averaged 26 ppg in the playoffs on 51 TS%

:lol
Way to ignore my argument. I think dudes with a 4.0 gpa were suppose to be smart :ohwell:

GOBB
08-03-2011, 03:16 PM
No right or wrong answer here. Close your eyes and pick. You'll be happy regardless.

Not sure who I'd take. If I had to nit pick? Probably Melo because his offensive game is more complete than Durant at this point. He scores on you in various ways and really doesnt rely on screens to free him up just enough to score.

ThaSwagg3r
08-03-2011, 03:17 PM
No right or wrong answer here. Close your eyes and pick. You'll be happy regardless.

Not sure who I'd take. If I had to nit pick? Probably Melo because his offensive game is more complete than Durant at this point. He scores on you in various ways and really doesnt rely on screens to free him up just enough to score.
What about Wade and LeBron? You should check out my thread on that, I want your opinion. :cheers:

^^ all you need to know about the Durant-Melo debate.

28renyoy
08-03-2011, 03:18 PM
I did not read your argument.

I'm not here to lend credence to my own supposition, but anyone with the view that Melo>Durant is clearly basing it off of aesthetics and not output

1X1/1>2 because it's more complex, right?

Borderlands
08-03-2011, 03:18 PM

Duncan wins that and is the better "21"

Bigsmoke
08-03-2011, 03:33 PM
Did you factor in how Melo was missing two of his best players Billups and Amare? Melo was facing double and triple teams the entire series. What was Durant dealing with? Durant was having a difficult time just getting the ball in his hands.

Way to ignore my argument. I think dudes with a 4.0 gpa were suppose to be smart :ohwell:

Melo was facing double and triple teams the entire series

boo hoo. Melo wasnt double teams much in game one when he played like garbage. I didnt pick who was better but bringing up the case that Melo is better because of one good game shouldnt change anyone's opinion...atleast mine. Durant in game 5 in that Nuggets series was more impressive because he dominated in the 4th unlike Melo.

ThaSwagg3r
08-03-2011, 03:37 PM
Melo was facing double and triple teams the entire series

boo hoo. Melo wasnt double teams much in game one when he played like garbage. I didnt pick who was better but bringing up the case that Melo is better because of one good game shouldnt change anyone's opinion...atleast mine. Durant in game 5 in that Nuggets series was more impressive because he dominated in the 4th unlike Melo.
Maybe you should look at Melo's past playoffs because they were dominant too.

2010 Playoffs: 31/9/3 with 46% shooting

2009 Playoffs: 27/6/4 with 45% shooting.

You act as if Melo has always been a garbage playoff performer. He had more help with any of those Nuggets teams in the playoffs than he did with the Knicks last post-season.

TylerOO
08-03-2011, 03:43 PM
how can people still debate this? durant is clearly better.

airchibundo507
08-03-2011, 05:32 PM
hmmm... let's see

Melo has the larger scoring arsenal, he's less turnover prone, and he's the better ballhandler, passer, rebounder, clutch scorer, etc.

I'll take Melo all day and tomorrow.

knicksman
08-03-2011, 06:46 PM

hes having a 4 gpa but no maths. thats why hes posting stats so people would think hes a math genius

knicksman
08-03-2011, 06:49 PM
I did not read your argument.

I'm not here to lend credence to my own supposition, but anyone with the view that Melo>Durant is clearly basing it off of aesthetics and not output

1X1/1>2 because it's more complex, right?

well kobe and jordan have the same style with melo and they won while reggie miller and ray allen havent while being the man

Kevin_Gamble
08-03-2011, 11:50 PM
Maybe you should read the post I made on top of page 4.

I checked your post. It's a nice breakdown, but it doesn't add up. Melo sucking this past playoffs wasn't just a one-off thing. It's just continuing a pattern of sucking that Melo has established over his career. Melo has put up sub 40% playoff shooting performances while playing for the Nuggets, with younger Billups, Nene, K-Mart, J.R. Rider, etc. on his team. It's just not realistic to blame Melo's sucking on his teammates, when Melo has sucked on the Nuggets and on the Knicks, playing against the West, and playing against the East.

Of course I'm being a bit tongue-in-cheek. Melo doesn't suck overall, just in comparison to Durant.

The whole "versatility" argument makes no sense to me. How does it help your team that Melo is able to shoot 42% in a variety of ways?

Eat Like A Bosh
08-04-2011, 10:26 PM
I checked your post. It's a nice breakdown, but it doesn't add up. Melo sucking this past playoffs wasn't just a one-off thing. It's just continuing a pattern of sucking that Melo has established over his career. Melo has put up sub 40% playoff shooting performances while playing for the Nuggets, with younger Billups, Nene, K-Mart, J.R. Rider, etc. on his team. It's just not realistic to blame Melo's sucking on his teammates, when Melo has sucked on the Nuggets and on the Knicks, playing against the West, and playing against the East.

Of course I'm being a bit tongue-in-cheek. Melo doesn't suck overall, just in comparison to Durant.

The whole "versatility" argument makes no sense to me. How does it help your team that Melo is able to shoot 42% in a variety of ways?
Versatility does help. You want to keep yourself unpredictable.

OKCThunderUP
08-04-2011, 11:23 PM
well kobe and jordan have the same style with melo and they won while reggie miller and ray allen havent while being the man

Kevin Durant is not Reggile Miller nor Ray Allen.

Versatility does help. You want to keep yourself unpredictable.

It doesn't matter how predictable you are when you can't be stopped to begin with. But for what it's worth, if Durant adds a post game to his repertoire he'll go from slightly better than Melo to leagues better than Melo.

knicksman
08-05-2011, 02:26 AM

this sht again genius. if you laugh at melos performance then how much for lebron who is considered the best player in the league today if he played in the TOUGH western conference.

ThaSwagg3r
08-10-2011, 12:26 AM
Let's say Player A has one offensive move he converts at 55% on average.

Player B is capable of the same offensive move, but has another move that Player A doesn't have to which he converts both at 45% on average.

Player A has a greater impact throughout the regular season because of his higher efficiency.

However, when you get to the playoffs, the defense tightens up. If you keep going in the playoffs, you'll inevitably end up facing against the best defenses in the league. If the defense is good enough to limit Player A's move to 35%, then he has nothing else to fall back on. Whereas, if they limit the same move of Player's B to 35%, he can fall back on his other move, to maybe which they can only limit to 40-45%. In this scenario, Player B has a greater impact than Player A.

You don't want too many moves, but you want enough moves so you aren't predictable. Melo has had some decent playoff runs in 2007, 2009, and 2010.

28renyoy
08-10-2011, 12:51 AM

You don't want too many moves, but you want enough moves so you aren't predictable. Melo has had some decent playoff runs in 2007, 2009, and 2010.

That would be fine and dandy if there were no playoff statistics that indicated Durant is clearly the better playoff performer of the 2 players

ThaSwagg3r
08-10-2011, 01:30 AM
That would be fine and dandy if there were no playoff statistics that indicated Durant is clearly the better playoff performer of the 2 players
Durant has only had one good playoff run that was inconsistent for the most part. Melo has had a few more. Durant was pretty bad in his playoff debut, although Melo wasn't much better in his. Still, we are comparing these two now.

Melo in 06-07: 27/9/1 with 48% shooting, 58% TS, 53% eFG
Melo in 08-09: 27/6/4 with 45% shooting, 56% TS, 49% eFG
Melo in 09-10: 31/9/3 with 46% shooting, 56% TS, 49% eFG

Durant in 09-10: 25/8/2 with 35% shooting. :facepalm, 50% TS, 39% eFG
Durant in 10-11: 29/8/3 with 45% shooting, 58% TS, 50% eFG

There is a reason why Melo shoots a higher % in the playoffs, his scoring versatility is a big part of it.

I know you are in love with the advanced statistics such as TS% and eFG% so I listed them as well.

If you were to ask me who I would take between these two in the 2010 off-season I would have said Melo in a landslide because he was clearly the better playoff performer. Durant made me think higher of him during the 2011 playoffs but I still see some glaring flaws in his game which makes me still want to take Melo over Durant for post-season play. I'll take Durant over Melo in regular season play, but that is because Durant's style is more suited for that.

28renyoy
08-10-2011, 01:37 AM
^ post career statistics/career playoff record :lol

ThaSwagg3r
08-10-2011, 01:41 AM
^ post career statistics/career playoff record :lol
Why do I need to bring up career into this? Why should I account what Melo did as a rookie, sophomore, etc. in the playoffs when I can just account what Melo did recently? Maybe I should have brought up Melo in 07-08 too but I only brought up the post-season runs where I thought was better or arguably better than the post-season run Durant had last season.

Either way you should get the point, although knowing you; you probably don't.

Kevin_Gamble
08-10-2011, 07:59 AM

Melo's "PLAYOFF" shooting percentage is 42%. He shoots WORSE in the playoffs than in the regular season. But yes, he is able to shoot poorly in many different ways, so there's that.

On the other hand, Reggie Miller, who is pretty much a one-trick pony, always RAISED his game in the playoffs, when everyone knew what he was going to do and teams had offdays to prepare for him.

knicksman
08-10-2011, 09:27 AM
Melo's "PLAYOFF" shooting percentage is 42%. He shoots WORSE in the playoffs than in the regular season. But yes, he is able to shoot poorly in many different ways, so there's that.

On the other hand, Reggie Miller, who is pretty much a one-trick pony, always RAISED his game in the playoffs, when everyone knew what he was going to do and teams had offdays to prepare for him.

of course durant was lucky that the contenders melo faced during his career have become older. the west now has become the east of the past. durant now was facing weak denver and memphis in which his team almost lost. and of course theres melos rookie year. a rookie is expected to always suck. if youre including melos rookie and 2nd year then why dont we include durant's too, which is btw is 0% FG coz he didnt make it. so if we total it 0%(1st year)+0%(2nd year)+35%(3rd yr)+45%(4th yr)=80%/4 yrs then um he shoots 20%. 42%>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>20% genius. so my advice to you is to go back school to increase your IQ

Kevin_Gamble
08-10-2011, 09:47 AM
of course durant was lucky that the contenders melo faced during his career have become older. the west now has become the east of the past. durant now was facing weak denver and memphis in which his team almost lost. and of course theres melos rookie year. a rookie is expected to always suck. if youre including melos rookie and 2nd year then why dont we include durant's too, which is btw is 0% FG coz he didnt make it. so if we total it 0%(1st year)+0%(2nd year)+35%(3rd yr)+45%(4th yr)=80%/4 yrs then um he shoots 20%. 42%>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>20% genius. so my advice to you is to go back school to increase your IQ

At this point, I really don't know if you are trolling or just crazy.

ThaSwagg3r
08-10-2011, 06:39 PM

You understand that is the same case with Durant right? And that he also shoots the same % in the playoffs? Melo didn't start playing well in the playoffs until 2007.

28renyoy
08-10-2011, 07:43 PM
You understand that is the same case with Durant right? And that he also shoots the same % in the playoffs? Melo didn't start playing well in the playoffs until 2007.

Let's compare their ppg and TS% in the playoffs. And we're just going to ignore Melo's first 4 years?

ThaSwagg3r
08-10-2011, 07:44 PM
Let's compare their ppg and TS% in the playoffs. And we're just going to ignore Melo's first 4 years?
Yeah because I am not comparing their careers; I am comparing these guys right now. If only we had a magic time machine.... too bad we don't.

I am pretty sure I already did that by the way.

Melo in 06-07: 27/9/1 with 48% shooting, 58% TS, 53% eFG
Melo in 08-09: 27/6/4 with 45% shooting, 56% TS, 49% eFG
Melo in 09-10: 31/9/3 with 46% shooting, 56% TS, 49% eFG

Durant in 09-10: 25/8/2 with 35% shooting. :facepalm, 50% TS, 39% eFG
Durant in 10-11: 29/8/3 with 45% shooting, 58% TS, 50% eFG

knicksman
08-10-2011, 08:29 PM

then dont ignore durants first 2 years too genius. first 2 years of durant. 0 ppg 0 rebs 0 assts 0FG% 03pt% and so on

knicksman
08-10-2011, 08:30 PM

youre the one trolling here genius.

I.R.Beast
08-10-2011, 08:50 PM
Carmelo has a better mid range Jumper than durant, and a better post up game, and is a better passer than durant...

Durant has a better 3 ball, is a better shot blocker, the ball handling is about even....

In all seriousness, Carmelo just doesnt have that it Factor that Durant has, that would make people realise that he really is just as good as durant if not better....When he defends he's a better defender than durant as well(on ball)....

Carmelo just has a bad rep doesnt get his just due....I've noticed this his whole career thus far.

Kevin_Gamble
08-10-2011, 08:59 PM

Durant sucked his first time up, then he played well. Maybe Durant will turn out to suck like Melo, but at this point we don't know. Melo, on the other hand, has sucked in 5 of the 8 playoffs he's played in. Of course he was sucking with versatility and style.

28renyoy
08-10-2011, 09:29 PM
I love how theswagger just cherrypicks Melo's best years while ignoring the others. Post this garbage on realgm and see the response

ThaSwagg3r
08-10-2011, 09:40 PM
I love how theswagger just cherrypicks Melo's best years while ignoring the others. Post this garbage on realgm and see the response
I wasn't really cherry picking, I was just trying to show you the post-season runs that Melo was better or arguably better than Durant's run in the post-season last year.

LoneyROY7
08-10-2011, 09:57 PM
I'm a bit biased living in NYC, but I've got to go with 'Melo.

He has one of the sweetest mid-range jumpers in the league, and I feel he is more versatile offensively then Durant. Overall, I feel his game is a bit more developed.

liquidrage
08-10-2011, 09:59 PM

Every GM in the league would take Durant :confusedshrug:

Durant provides the same production with better defense and it's still a team game and every GM surely would want Durant in the locker room over Melo.

no pun intended
04-05-2013, 10:06 PM
So...what now?

Michael_Wilbon
04-05-2013, 10:20 PM
Carmelo da BOSS...and we just know dat dem haters gonna keep on HATIN', son.

Graviton
04-05-2013, 10:33 PM
While Melo was busy abusing crappy Bucks, Durant just dropped 34 on a higher % against the best defensive team in the league on his way to a 20 point blowout. The same team that raped Melo and the Knicks by 30. But then we all know Melo picks on shitty teams to pad his numbers then vanishes against any good defensive team like Bulls or Pacers. :oldlol:

iDunk
04-05-2013, 10:38 PM
While Melo was busy abusing crappy Bucks, Durant just dropped 34 on a higher % against the best defensive team in the league on his way to a 20 point blowout. The same team that raped Melo and the Knicks by 30. But then we all know Melo picks on shitty teams to pad his numbers then vanishes against any good defensive team like Bulls or Pacers. :oldlol:
Has Durant dropped 43 on the Heat in the playoffs?

Patrick Chewing
04-05-2013, 10:39 PM

Damn you're pathetic. So much time wasted hating on Melo cause you're sad and depressed that the Lakers may not make the playoffs and nobody is talking about Kobe anymore. Kobe can't even lead this team to the 8th seed :lol

Legends66NBA7
04-05-2013, 10:50 PM
Damn you're pathetic. So much time wasted hating on Melo cause you're sad and depressed that the Lakers may not make the playoffs and nobody is talking about Kobe anymore. Kobe can't even lead this team to the 8th seed :lol

He's not even a Laker fan.

What did he say that wasn't true ?

Graviton
04-05-2013, 10:55 PM
Ninja I am like the Lakers #1 basher, check the Championship Flight thread. :oldlol:

I ain't a Lakers fan, but what exactly am I supposed to hate about Melo? His amazing resume and NBA accomplishments reflected on his All-Star jacket?

http://pbs.twimg.com/media/BDVxYOACQAAYsZl.jpg

Why would I hate on Melo when I can hate true greatness...

http://24.media.tumblr.com/4a9e5ed8a6b7c3fe74c3bc04759ade50/tumblr_mie0zetL9B1qd3ntmo1_500.jpg

B4llin
04-06-2013, 02:36 AM
Has Durant dropped 43 on the Heat in the playoffs?

No but he averaged 30 while playing defence in the FINALS...haha none of that first round flutter

[GR]
04-06-2013, 03:19 AM
No but he averaged 30 while playing defence in the FINALS...haha none of that first round flutter
Melo played Lebron better than anyone. Lebron had by far his worst shooting series of the playoffs, in that series.

Simple Jack
04-06-2013, 04:43 AM
Why do people allow small sample sizes to dictate their views on players? Are people seeing something out of Melo right now that they didn't already know he was capable of doing while watching him play through the years, specifically this year? Durant has been the better player for years now and a few games doesn't change that.

Wavves
04-06-2013, 05:31 AM
Durant is a better basketball player than Melo and there is no question about it.

DMAVS41
04-06-2013, 06:07 AM
Why do people allow small sample sizes to dictate their views on players? Are people seeing something out of Melo right now that they didn't already know he was capable of doing while watching him play through the years, specifically this year? Durant has been the better player for years now and a few games doesn't change that.

Using this as a reason to consider him a better player is silly, but that doesn't take away from a truly special accomplishment. It's been done now like 3 times in NBA history...

pauk
04-06-2013, 06:55 AM
http://www.dailythunder.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/03/nba_g_melo_durant_576.jpg

Who is the better player? Who do you think is more consistent? Let's take a look:

STATS: (from last season)

Carmelo Anthony:

25.6 points per game, 2.9 assists per game, 7.3 rebounds per game at a 45% from the field.

Kevin Durant:

27.7 points per game, 2.7 assists per game, 6.8 rebounds per game at a 46% from the field.

What is Melo clearly better at?
1. Better clutch performer <----------
2. Better low post scorer <------------
3. Better rebounder <-----------

What is Durant clearly better at?
1. Better shooter.
2. Better FT shooter.

WHO DO YOU THINK IS BETTER?

On what basis / facts? All that is very debatable...

bizil
04-06-2013, 07:25 AM
Frankly the SF spot is as top heavy as it has been since the golden era back in the mid to late 80's. U got four legit HOFers up top with Bron, Durant, Melo, and Pierce. When it comes to Durant and Melo, I will lean to KD because of the evolution of his all around game. Plus KD is one of the greatest shooters of all time flat out. And it's so freaky to have a 6'10 or 6'11 guy with the scoring skillset and handle of a SG. But I think Melo STILL has the most complete scoring skillset in the L. Kobe is Kobe, but Melo can play PF, something Kob can't do. In terms of SF's, Melo arguably has the most complete scoring skillset ever. When u break it down facet for facet, he certainly has a case. So when u think about it like that, that supercedes MANY, MANY, MANY things other SF's may bring to the table.

iDunk
04-06-2013, 10:54 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ickvo81Bep0

This is probably one of the most epic exchange of game winners I've seen.

EnoughSaid
04-06-2013, 11:04 PM
On what basis / facts? All that is very debatable...

I made this thread in August of 2011. We've basically been through 2 NBA seasons since. Durant's clearly a better player now. That's set.

GOATbrookisGAWD
04-06-2013, 11:07 PM
I made this thread in August of 2011. We've basically been through 2 NBA seasons since. Durant's clearly a better player now. That's set.

:bowdown:

Nike D'Antoni
09-04-2021, 02:09 AM
Durant overall career because of two rings.

Same Olympic gold medals. And Carmelo owns the head to head vs Durant. (13-4) (https://www.landofbasketball.com/games_between/carmelo_anthony_vs_kevin_durant.htm)