PDA

View Full Version : Valanciunas debut on national team.

Sakkreth
08-07-2011, 05:53 AM
26pts 11boards 9/10fg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-GsmvHygGw4&feature

It's not u19 anymore...

BRabbiT
08-07-2011, 09:34 AM
nice:D he looks stronger.

bokes15
08-07-2011, 11:47 AM
I love his game! I can see him easily being a fan favorite. He does need to beef up a bit more which i'm sure will come in time, as well as adjust to the NBA level grind. But having said that, he's fundamentally sound, he boxes out, he seems to have a pretty good array of post moves, as long as he works hard I think he can be a good solid player for us.

Skywalker
08-07-2011, 01:53 PM
wow we got a white stud.... the years of picking the Araujo's, Bargnani's have all paid off.

Prodigy
08-08-2011, 12:02 AM
Nice. Keeping my fingers crossed!

bada bing
08-08-2011, 10:49 AM
great. hopefully when he comes to play for us, bargnani will not be on this team. we dont want barg influencing this studd.

Toni
08-08-2011, 03:27 PM
The draft is finally starting to go our way. Drafting DeRozan 9th in 2009, Davis 13th in 2010 and now Valanciunas looking like the biggest steal of the draft at #5 this year... things are looking optimistic for our club. I have total faith in Colangelo's drafting abilities. He always seems to get the drafts right but always makes strange and complicated trades and signings that cripple our cap room.

Harrison_Barnes
08-08-2011, 04:23 PM
Looks promising..

FCardelle
08-08-2011, 05:02 PM
I remember a thread last summer where many people thought that Bargnani had became a beast because he was bullying minor National Teams... Czech Rebuplic is not exactly a powerhouse in European basketaball.:rolleyes:
We will watch him against top level competition from now on in friendly games against Russia and Spain and in September in the Eurocup.

10-08-2011, Moscow: Russia - Lithuania
13-08-2011, Madrid: Spain - Lithuania
18-08-2011, Kaunas: Lithuania - Spain
19-08-2011, Panevezys: Lithuania - Russia
20-08-2011, Panevezys: Lithuania - Latvia
24-08-2011, Liubliana: Slovenia - Lithuania
27-08-2011, Vilnius: Lithuania - Georgia

BTW, we put the day before the month :oldlol:

SESSEL15
08-08-2011, 05:12 PM
I remember a thread last summer where many people thought that Bargnani had became a beast because he was bullying minor National Teams... Czech Rebuplic is not exactly a powerhouse in European basketaball.:rolleyes:
We will watch him against top level competition from now on in friendly games against Russia and Spain and in September in the Eurocup.

BTW, we put the day before the month :oldlol:

Why does everything have to go back to Bargnani. We're all Raptors fans so we can cheer VAL on together, regardless of our differing opinions of Barngnani.

FCardelle
08-08-2011, 06:27 PM
Why does everything have to go back to Bargnani. We're all Raptors fans so we can cheer VAL on together, regardless of our differing opinions of Barngnani.
That's because he is our franchise player :lol
(just kidding)

I posted some incoming games... my post wasn't pro or anti Barganani, just wanted to curb the enthusiasm until Valanciunas faces real competiton.

Chamberlain
08-09-2011, 12:46 AM
Absolutely 100% not trying to hate, but the difference here (for now) is age.

When Valanciunas was dominating other 19 year olds, it was like, "great, he's showing skill, but he SHOULD be dominating."

When Bargnani was dominating that tournament last year, it was the same thing. He posted great numbers and his team did well, but at that level of competition, it was fully expected.

Valanciunas has just played his first Senior level game, and he did amazing. That is worth being happy about.

bokes15
08-09-2011, 05:17 AM
That's because he is our franchise player :lol
(just kidding)

I posted some incoming games... my post wasn't pro or anti Barganani, just wanted to curb the enthusiasm until Valanciunas faces real competiton.
:oldlol: I don't know about "everyone" being excited about that. I remember one person posting it and making a thread about it (I can't remember but I believe it was Doko) and a lot of people saying they were cautiously optimistic. Myself personally, I remember saying basically the same thing for him that I said about Derozan when he was dominating summer leagues year in and year out. That it's great that he's putting in work in the off-season but that doesn't automatically transfer to the NBA level. The thing about a guy like Val however which I think makes people so high on him including myself, is that he seems to have the type of game that combined with the right attitude and work ethic would translate well into the NBA. With all due respect to Bargnani, last summer he put up 24/6 in Eurobasket and aside from a post move and a dunk here and there it was the exact same game he plays in the NBA against lesser talent. Val on the other hand is putting up 20/10 on a nightly basis, leading the tournament in points, rebounds, blocked shots and FG% in less than 30 minutes a game. It's not a guaranteed formula for him to be a stud, but on the other hand there's a reason people are raving about him.

Jballer
08-09-2011, 12:53 PM
He has all the promise of a stud - continues to - that is a good thing.

My only concern:

I hope that he develops on a fast track. Within 3 years.

Others disagree - but big men often take longer to mature. For every Shaq there is a Camby. For every Howard there is a (younger) Gasol.

His game style from international play will require adjustments i.e. in the NBA.

With this coaching staff we should have the right team to build him up correctly and not waste his talent.

(Something in my own mind Barges did NOT bennefit from however there are other issues in his style)

In three years depending on lock out resolution - we face resigning the entire young nucleus of players we have. By that time we may very well be happy to let a Bayliss walk - or sign a Derozan to a cap deal - who can tell.

The difference is - if Val is still another 2 years away from being the player he promises to be at that time when we need to resign Derozan/Davis for example - we will have a harder time retaining the correct pieces to surround him with and then we are back to the Chris Bosh scenario.

Hence I would much prefer bringing in a solid German Center named Kaman to mentor him as they have a similar style.

End retoric.

b4ball
08-09-2011, 04:10 PM
The fundamentals seem to be there with Val. Post up play, back to the basket is far and away better then any other centre we have. Pick and roll seems natural and he plays in the paint. Length and fundamental alone can carry you into the NBA. Passing ability, understanding help defense, running the floor and a consistent 15 footer is the next step to a top 5 centre.

He looks like he could get there.

Burgz
08-12-2011, 11:53 PM
energy.

this kid never runs out of it. he has such a high motor, it's rare to find that in a guy that size

macmac
08-14-2011, 06:29 AM
Wow I haven't been this excited about a raptors prospect since Chris midway his rookie campaign....

If you can't tell that this guy has all the tools to succeed and maybe even dominate at the NBA level, you don't know ball...

Can't wait to see him in a canadian red uniform

FCardelle
08-14-2011, 06:58 AM
I watched him against team spain. He looked like Brook Lopez to me.

Chamberlain
08-14-2011, 11:57 AM
I watched him against team spain. He looked like Brook Lopez to me.

If he comes into the league like Brook Lopez I'll be pleased.

Qwyjibo
08-14-2011, 03:48 PM
If he comes into the league like Brook Lopez I'll be pleased.
Lopez is a pretty crappy rebounder for his size/position but at his best (his 2nd season), he's a very good scorer and passable defensive player. If Ed Davis develops into what he's projected to be (a tougher more defensive player) then that would be a good combo at PF and C to go forward with.

Chamberlain
08-17-2011, 06:48 PM
[QUOTE]Jonas Valanciunas is unlikely to play for the Raptors before the 12-13 NBA season, but is looking forward to living in Toronto.

bluerap
08-17-2011, 08:38 PM
where can we track the euro summer games?
I want val stats.

Doko
08-18-2011, 11:21 AM
where can we track the euro summer games?
I want val stats.

I'll probably keep a thread with stats/highlits of the Raptors players (Bargnani, Calderon, Valanciunas) during the tournament if no one else does :)

bluerap
08-18-2011, 01:32 PM
I'll probably keep a thread with stats/highlits of the Raptors players (Bargnani, Calderon, Valanciunas) during the tournament if no one else does :)
nice
get on it

hasn't there already been a few games?

Doko
08-18-2011, 02:33 PM
nice
get on it

hasn't there already been a few games?

yup, I'm sure I can get some stats and highlights for those too, at least for Bargnani's ones.
If you guys are interested I could start a thread .

DJMason
08-18-2011, 03:41 PM
yup, I'm sure I can get some stats and highlights for those too, at least for Bargnani's ones.
If you guys are interested I could start a thread .

Honestly at this point I only come here for Blue Jays updates, so anything else to read while I'm here'd be great. Especially for Val since I haven't seen much of him before.

raptorfan_dr07
08-20-2011, 10:10 PM
I love what I'm hearing about Jonas. I don't want to get my hopes up though, just remain cautiously optimistic lol.

Chamberlain
08-21-2011, 01:40 AM
I love what I'm hearing about Jonas. I don't want to get my hopes up though, just remain cautiously optimistic lol.

I hear ya. Any positive news that I hear from him is a huge positive for me. I love the way this guy plays. I don't wanna put any expectations on him or anything, but I am really excited to watch him this year and then eventually on the Raptors.

Wat_Wat__
08-24-2011, 10:59 AM
the kid's got great upside and potential, i'm excited we were able to snag him and with the looming lockout it makes for a great pick.

i just hope he doesnt turn into Andris Biedrins

A.M.G.
09-26-2011, 03:44 AM
He needs to get stronger and improve his conditioning, but he looks like he should fall somewhere in between a rich man's Yi Jianlian and a poor man's Pau Gasol. Hopefully less of a softy than either player.

The things I like about what I saw in the video:
- good b-ball IQ
- good skill level (full-court pass/drove past defender)
- good hands/nice inside touch
- long arms
- plays hard and with a little passion (unlike a certain someone else)
- looks like he has the frame to get stronger
- overall looks like he has a lot of potential

Things I didn't like:
- not a great leaper by NBA standards (makes up for it with super long arms)
- looks a little awkward/slow-footed (I question his one-on-one defensive ability at thw NBA level)
- saw very little in the way jump shots (not such a bad thing if he is at least capable of shooting)
- not great competition (no Czech players in NBA as far as I know, except Jan Vesely who might also be a stud by the way)

Overall, I think we may have a major steal on our hands, considering how weak this past draft was. With his size, length, good hands, good touch inside, and combination of bball IQ and character, he really looks like he might have the most potential of any prospect in this draft. As a bonus, there is a chance the other rookies won't even be playing this season, while Jonas will be playing a full season in Europe foe sure. By the time he arrives next season, he will be improved, and the Raptors will be better and more stable as well. As an extra bonus, Colangelo drafting a European center might mean he will finally at least try to move a certain other European "center".

Say what you want about Colangelo's overall incompetence as a GM, he has drafted well for three straight years.

Sakkreth
09-26-2011, 07:29 AM
You should check out his Eurobasket highlights videos, where he played against Ibaka, Gasols, Krstic, Kaman etc.

Check this thread to see em. http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/showthread.php?t=232688

bluerap
09-26-2011, 10:55 PM
Say what you want about Colangelo's overall incompetence as a GM, he has drafted well for three straight years.

Colangelo has a very solid draft record going back to phoenix days.

If he changed his focus to building through the draft with patience, instead of always trying to pull the bandaid trade he would be a very solid gm.

bokes15
09-27-2011, 06:28 AM
Unfortunately, even if we do have a season we won't see Val until at earliest 2012. But on the other hand, we need the season to happen at some point so we can tank again and get another top 5 pick.