PDA

View Full Version : The Loss Chronicles

Da_Realist
08-09-2011, 12:07 AM
The Loss Chronicles. Honoring those that played valiantly in tough losses. Because how you lose is just as important as how you win.

1995 Kevin Johnson vs Rockets WCSF Game 7 (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kKfDCxVHDIM)
46 points, 10 assists

PHILA
08-09-2011, 12:29 AM
1965 EDF Game 7

30 points, 32 rebounds

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DUjYzeVZvRM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ESDFppbQ2zM#t=2m32s

1966 EDF Game 5

46 points, 34 rebounds

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cEdiptkyYsY#t=16m48s

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HmFG5bIb7Z4#t=21m26s

Christian Science Monitor - Apr 14, 1966

Wilt took 34 shots, hitting on 19. But he was only eight for 25 with his free throws. Chamberlain scored 46 points, no small since Russell played him tight and with a maximum amount of contact. But Wilt could have gone to 63 with Bill Sharman's touch at the foul line. Boston's cornermen excelled, not only, but also on offense. John Havlicek played the full 48 minutes and scored 32 points. Tom Sanders probably had his best game of the series with 11 points and 16 rebounds.

jlip
08-09-2011, 12:59 AM
Isiah Thomas- 41pts 8asts 56% fg
score 25 points in the 3rd on a bad ankle.

Game 6 1988 Finals (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mcGqJ1tAClw)

catch24
08-09-2011, 01:14 AM
Great idea/project. Looking forward to these vids, TJ.

Jacks3
08-09-2011, 01:46 AM
Kobe 2006/Game 6

50/8/5/3/67% TS

TAC602
08-09-2011, 02:03 AM
Hakeem Olajuwon 1987/WCSF Game 6:

49/26/5/6 (19/33 FGs)

Boston C's
08-09-2011, 02:04 AM
Ray Allen
51 points 5 boards 3 assists vs bulls game 6 09 playoffs

Jacks3
08-09-2011, 02:05 AM

49/26/5/6 (19/33 FGs)
49 and 26 rbs. Holy Jesus. :eek:

Indian guy
08-09-2011, 02:48 AM

49/26/5/6 (19/33 FGs)

NBA TV has been playing this game over the last week and watching it, I'll always be dumbfounded by why Hakeem couldn't average 25+ ppg until his 9th season in the league. His game was so complete even then. He looked flat out dominant in every way, but you look up his numbers, and he's toiling around 21-24 ppg on 50-51% shooting in the golden era of scoring. It doesn't make any sense. Maybe some Houston fan in here can explain me why Hakeem didn't hit his statistical peak until he hit 30.

AMISTILLILL
08-09-2011, 03:57 AM
Kobe 2006/Game 6

50/8/5/3/67% TS

Are you ever not talking about Kobe Bryant?

TAC602
08-09-2011, 05:17 AM
NBA TV has been playing this game over the last week and watching it, I'll always be dumbfounded by why Hakeem couldn't average 25+ ppg until his 9th season in the league. His game was so complete even then. He looked flat out dominant in every way, but you look up his numbers, and he's toiling around 21-24 ppg on 50-51% shooting in the golden era of scoring. It doesn't make any sense. Maybe some Houston fan in here can explain me why Hakeem didn't hit his statistical peak until he hit 30.

Wish I had a definitive answer to that, but I didn't have much awareness in regards to the NBA during that time period compared to the multitude of memories and games seen and rewatched from the mid-90s under Rudy T so I won't play Mr. Know All.

Just looking at his career and the few handful of regular season games available, he had a competitive team around him until everybody started dropping like flies during the 1987 season followed by the hiring of Don Chaney a year later, who's approach to coaching was described as "low-key" and "one that puts the responsibility of performing on the players". The problem is that led to far too many ill advised outside shots from the perimeter scrubs when they should've been running that offense through Hakeem in the same way Rudy T utilized Olajuwon's offensive talents when he took over and had everybody fall in line, to great success. Obviously, that doesn't necessarily mean the amount of shots he was taking (although those increased as well) but just the number of possessions the ball is going through his hands in general. At the same time, he didn't appear to be anywhere near the passer or ball handler he was in the mid-90s.

It's a shame because it was during this time though that Olajuwon probably really hit his athletic and defensive peak as far as being active and taking up space; it was also when he won his rebounding titles. He wasn't as polished offensively, but he definitely knew what he was doing in the post.

Jacks3
08-09-2011, 05:54 AM
Are you ever not talking about Kobe Bryant?
Yeah, I do talk about more than Bryant, but if I bother u why not put me on ignore? Instead of complaining like a lil bitch...

Da_Realist
08-09-2011, 10:57 AM
Good ideas. I'm going to post the Hakeem (49 pts, 26 rebs) game and the Isiah explosion against the Lakers in 88 as a part of this. I want to put a little different spin on them, though. I'm going to show why the player should be highlighted but also show why his team lost. So instead of just showing Isiah hitting shot after shot, I'll also show how LA absorbed those blows and eventually won. So in a way, I'm honoring the player's effort as well as the team that won. (For example, look at the KJ video. You'll see plenty of Houston highlights.)

Got another one uploading now.

ShaqAttack3234
08-09-2011, 11:20 AM
1998 Lakers vs Jazz Game 3 of the WCF

Shaquille O'Neal powered his way to 39 points and 15 rebounds, but got little help from his teammates in a 109-98 loss that put Utah up 3-0 in the best-of-seven series.

While O'Neal did everything he could to get the Lakers back in the series, Eddie Jones and Nick Van Exel and the other Lakers shooters were missing in action most of the night.

http://news.google.com/newspapers?id=09c_AAAAIBAJ&sjid=ISEGAAAAIBAJ&pg=5456,3231094&dq=while+o-neal+did+everything+he+could+to+get+the+lakers+bac k+in+the+series+eddie+jones+and+nick+van+exel&hl=en

1998 Lakers vs Jazz game 4

Except for a poor Game 1, Shaquille o'neal was magnificent in defeat. And Sunday was no exception He scored 38 points despite foul trouble.

http://news.google.com/newspapers?id=-b8fAAAAIBAJ&sjid=EdgEAAAAIBAJ&pg=4313,2869212&dq=shaquille+o-neal+38+points&hl=en

Malone, Jazz complete sweep despite Shaq's heroics

O'Neal had another outstanding game with 38 points, including 11 straight Lakers points down the stretch. He shot 14-of-24 from the field and 10-of-18 from the line. But he missed a pair of free throws with 27 seconds to play that could have cut the deficit to one point and was swept out of the playoffs for the fourth time in the last five seasons.

"They were a lot hungrier than we were and we just played very inconsistent," O'Neal said. "Guys just have to step up. They have to find out what's important to them. If they don't want to play, then they need to ask for a trade. If they don't want to play, then get off my team."

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/basketball/nba/events/1998/playoffs/news/1998/07/20/jazz_lakers_archive/

This was the series that supposedly led Shaq to ask LA to trade Nick Van Exel, the story is that Van Exel was talking about going on vacation in the team huddle during game 4(he shot 24% from the field in the series).

Wish I had a definitive answer to that, but I didn't have much awareness in regards to the NBA during that time period compared to the multitude of memories and games seen and rewatched from the mid-90s under Rudy T so I won't play Mr. Know All.

Just looking at his career and the few handful of regular season games available, he had a competitive team around him until everybody started dropping like flies during the 1987 season followed by the hiring of Don Chaney a year later, who's approach to coaching was described as "low-key" and "one that puts the responsibility of performing on the players". The problem is that led to far too many ill advised outside shots from the perimeter scrubs when they should've been running that offense through Hakeem in the same way Rudy T utilized Olajuwon's offensive talents when he took over and had everybody fall in line, to great success. Obviously, that doesn't necessarily mean the amount of shots he was taking (although those increased as well) but just the number of possessions the ball is going through his hands in general. At the same time, he didn't appear to be anywhere near the passer or ball handler he was in the mid-90s.

It's a shame because it was during this time though that Olajuwon probably really hit his athletic and defensive peak as far as being active and taking up space; it was also when he won his rebounding titles. He wasn't as polished offensively, but he definitely knew what he was doing in the post.

Great post, I'm more knowledgeable on the Rudy T Rockets than the 80's Rockets as well, though I've seen a significant amount of twin tower era games, but I was also watching a lot of 1990 Rocket games not long ago and it seemed like their offense was really poorly run, Dream got doubled and tripled a lot as well, but they didn't capitalize on it like they did under Rudy T. He was already ridiculous skilled and you could see the fakes, the fade away, the face up game ect.

DMAVS41
08-09-2011, 11:24 AM
Barkley game 2 of 93 Finals: 42/13/4 67% TS

http://www.basketball-reference.com/boxscores/199306110PHO.html

Dirk game 5 of 01 Conference Semifinals:

42 points 18 rebounds 2 assists 6 steals 1 block 66% TS

http://www.basketball-reference.com/boxscores/200105140SAS.html

KevinNYC
08-09-2011, 11:25 AM
I'll always be dumbfounded by why Hakeem couldn't average 25+ ppg until his 9th season in the league. His game was so complete even then.

I think his game and his feel for the game kept getting better and better. Remember he started playing basketball fairly late. He also seemed to really turn it up in the playoffs.

Da_Realist
08-09-2011, 12:49 PM
1989 James Worthy vs Pistons Finals Game 4 (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xqNoWqcFpZk)
40 points, 3 rebs, 3 asts, 3 blks

TAC602
08-09-2011, 01:14 PM
1998 Lakers vs Jazz Game 3 of the WCF

http://news.google.com/newspapers?id=09c_AAAAIBAJ&sjid=ISEGAAAAIBAJ&pg=5456,3231094&dq=while+o-neal+did+everything+he+could+to+get+the+lakers+bac k+in+the+series+eddie+jones+and+nick+van+exel&hl=en

1998 Lakers vs Jazz game 4

http://news.google.com/newspapers?id=-b8fAAAAIBAJ&sjid=EdgEAAAAIBAJ&pg=4313,2869212&dq=shaquille+o-neal+38+points&hl=en

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/basketball/nba/events/1998/playoffs/news/1998/07/20/jazz_lakers_archive/

This was the series that supposedly led Shaq to ask LA to trade Nick Van Exel, the story is that Van Exel was talking about going on vacation in the team huddle during game 4(he shot 24% from the field in the series).

Great Games here. Shaq is one of my all-time favorites, and it disgusts me how often people love to revise history by talking about how "great" his casts have always been, ignorant to how they performed in the postseason. That isn't to say Shaq never had bad games, but he more often than not did his job and certainly wasn't deserving of getting swept, or the black marks that go with it on one's resume.

Great post, I'm more knowledgeable on the Rudy T Rockets than the 80's Rockets as well, though I've seen a significant amount of twin tower era games, but I was also watching a lot of 1990 Rocket games not long ago and it seemed like their offense was really poorly run, Dream got doubled and tripled a lot as well, but they didn't capitalize on it like they did under Rudy T. He was already ridiculous skilled and you could see the fakes, the fade away, the face up game ect.

Yeah, I didn't want to come off looking like I was making excuses for him because there were aspects of the game he hadn't mastered, another being focus. Olajuwon seemed to have a temper on him before he renewed his faith, even infamously getting thrown out of the close out game against the Lakers in the WCF as I'm sure most people are aware. What's funny though is Sampson probably would've been ejected before that hadn't Olajuwon intervened. I think his talent and impact even early on was proven by taking down the Showtime Lakers (how many teams won a playoff series against them between 1984-88 other than the Celtics?) and stretching the '86 Celtics to six games. One can only wonder if Olajuwon's cast hadn't been reduced to shambles so quickly.

AMISTILLILL
08-09-2011, 01:15 PM
Yeah, I do talk about more than Bryant, but if I bother u why not put me on ignore? Instead of complaining like a lil bitch...

...who said you were bothering me? It was a genuine inquiry. Relax, internet tough guy.

gotbacon23
08-09-2011, 02:09 PM
julius erving:
1977 nba finals: http://webuns.chez-alice.fr/finals/1977.htm

game 5: 37 points 9 rebounds 7 assists 1 steal 2 blocks
game 6: 40 points 6 rebounds 8 assists 2 steals 1 block

1980 nba finals: http://webuns.chez-alice.fr/finals/1980.htm

game 5: 36 points 9 rebounds 6 assists 4 steals 2 blocks

1982 nba finals: http://webuns.chez-alice.fr/finals/1982.htm

game 6: 30 points 8 rebounds 3 assists 5 steals 1 block

guy
08-09-2011, 02:43 PM
How has no one mentioned Jordan's playoff record of 63 points with 6 assists and 5 rebounds?

cteach111
08-09-2011, 02:46 PM
How has no one mentioned Jordan's playoff record of 63 points with 6 assists and 5 rebounds?

i thought this was a thread of elimination games, but ya i misinterpreted... continue on

Da_Realist
08-09-2011, 02:48 PM

Thought about it. I may do it but that game's been done to death all over youtube. I still may do it just because it should be in this list.

i thought this was a thread of elimination games, but ya i misinterpreted... continue on

Not necessarily. It has to be a must-win game though. If you're down 2-1, Game 4 counts to me, for example.

TAC602
08-09-2011, 03:09 PM
Thought about it. I may do it but that game's been done to death all over youtube. I still may do it just because it should be in this list

Jordan in general has been done to death. He's the most glorified and marketed athlete arguably in the history of professional sports. Did his play on the court and accomplishments warrant it? Damn right. However, there WERE other great players on his tier as far as individual greatness and dominance of the game. There have been great players since. He's the only clear cut Top 10 player outside of possibly Kobe who didn't average double digits in a single category other than points, not even for one single season. Yet people are lead to believe he had superior, incomparable impact on a basketball game over guys like KAJ, Larry Bird, Shaquille O'Neal, Hakeem Olajuwon and others? That isn't fair or accurate, at least not in my opinion.

It's clearly a team sport despite the game being a very 1v1 show-me sport and nobody's ever won a championship by themselves. I hold no agenda or bias against any player, and do consider him the G.O.A.T. when all is said and done, but good grief...

Fatal9
08-09-2011, 03:15 PM

49/26/5/6 (19/33 FGs)
or his 40/15 game the following year against the Mavs. The only game Rockets won in that series was the one Hakeem had 41/26/4/3 (he had 34/14, 35/12, 40/15 in the other three games...all losses).

guy
08-09-2011, 03:22 PM
Thought about it. I may do it but that game's been done to death all over youtube. I still may do it just because it should be in this list.

Not necessarily. It has to be a must-win game though. If you're down 2-1, Game 4 counts to me, for example.

True. Just thought it should be mentioned. Its arguably the greatest performance in a losing effort ever.

guy
08-09-2011, 03:28 PM
Despite letting the Magic come back from a 20+ deficit, Lebron in game 1 vs. the Magic should be mentioned. 49 pts/8 ast/6 rb/3 blk/2 stls on 20/30 shooting.

TAC602
08-09-2011, 03:34 PM
or his 40/15 game the following year against the Mavs. The only game Rockets won in that series was the one Hakeem had 41/26/4/3 (he had 34/14, 35/12, 40/15 in the other three games...all losses).

You happen to have a YT channel under fatal9ish? It's a gold mine.

Fatal9
08-09-2011, 03:35 PM
You happen to have a YT channel under fatal9ish? It's a gold mine.
yee

Da_Realist
08-09-2011, 03:41 PM
Jordan in general has been done to death. He's the most glorified and marketed athlete arguably in the history of professional sports. Did his play on the court and accomplishments warrant it? Damn right. However, there WERE other great players on his tier as far as individual greatness and dominance of the game. There have been great players since. He's the only clear cut Top 10 player outside of possibly Kobe who didn't average double digits in a single category other than points, not even for one single season. Yet people are lead to believe he had superior, incomparable impact on a basketball game over guys like KAJ, Larry Bird, Shaquille O'Neal, Hakeem Olajuwon and others? That isn't fair or accurate, at least not in my opinion.

It's clearly a team sport despite the game being a very 1v1 show-me sport and nobody's ever won a championship by themselves. I hold no agenda or bias against any player, and do consider him the G.O.A.T. when all is said and done, but good grief...

True but to clear up one thing...

Jordan is the only shooting guard in most people's top ten list (with the possible exception of Kobe) so it's unrealistic to expect him to average double digit rebounds and assists. But he does have more blocks than any other guard (D Wade may change this soon) and there have been only four seasons "recorded" where someone averaged more than his personal best 3.2 steals per game. So he's dominant but just not in the areas where one would expect a double digit average (except scoring).

guy
08-09-2011, 03:55 PM
He's the only clear cut Top 10 player outside of possibly Kobe who didn't average double digits in a single category other than points, not even for one single season.

Thats really not the nature of a wing player's game though so I don't see how thats relevant. They usually average more assists then big men and more rebounds then PGs, and its big men and PGs that are usually getting double doubles. They usually average in the 5-9 range of both rebounds and assists.

Hakeem's 22/11/3 career avg isn't somehow greater then Jordan's 30/6/5 just cause its a double-double.

TAC602
08-09-2011, 04:22 PM
Thats really not the nature of a wing player's game though so I don't see how thats relevant. They usually average more assists then big men and more rebounds then PGs, and its big men and PGs that are usually getting double doubles. They usually average in the 5-9 range of both rebounds and assists.

Hakeem's 22/11/3 career avg isn't somehow greater then Jordan's 30/6/5 just cause its a double-double.

It's also not in a wing player's nature to exert more impact on a game over an elite center or forward. In this case, I'm referencing the likes of Top 10 material, not mere run of the mill all-stars. Jordan was one of a kind special and to really bury the argument you'd bring up his superior ability to take over down the stretch. I'm talking about the radical fanboys who honestly believe some of the most dominant players ever are nowhere in his class as far as impact over 48 minutes. Just from browsing this forum for two months, neither Da Realist or you fit that category.

DuMa
08-09-2011, 04:25 PM
this thread needs more tmac games. some of the first round games he had were amazing and still lost.

TAC602
08-09-2011, 04:29 PM
this thread needs more tmac games. some of the first round games he had were amazing and still lost.

It's almost tragic he never won so much as a playoff series. He had several spectacular performances, indeed.

ShaqAttack3234
08-09-2011, 04:55 PM
Yeah, I didn't want to come off looking like I was making excuses for him because there were aspects of the game he hadn't mastered, another being focus. Olajuwon seemed to have a temper on him before he renewed his faith, even infamously getting thrown out of the close out game against the Lakers in the WCF as I'm sure most people are aware. What's funny though is Sampson probably would've been ejected before that hadn't Olajuwon intervened. I think his talent and impact even early on was proven by taking down the Showtime Lakers (how many teams won a playoff series against them between 1984-88 other than the Celtics?) and stretching the '86 Celtics to six games. One can only wonder if Olajuwon's cast hadn't been reduced to shambles so quickly.

Oh, I actually was kind of making an excuse for Hakeem myself. :oldlol: Because those offenses were really poor, and not because of him. The spacing was awful, same with the perimeter player's shot selection.

And yeah, considering what we saw out of him even early on, you have to wonder what he could've done with more help earlier. And even that '86 run was amazing for more reasons than simply beating LA and challenging arguably the GOAT team in the finals.

John Lucas had been suspended leaving them without their PG. Ralph Sampson was inconsistent and I really question his mental toughness. Dream seemed ready in big games, I'm not so sure about Sampson.

They really relied on Dream a lot, and he delivered, despite being a second year player who had just started playing in his mid teens. For example, look at game 5 with Houston facing elimination. Sampson was ejected early and Hakeem had a monster game. Something like 25/13/8, iirc.

Then in game 6 vs Seattle the following year, he just put them on his back, the statline speaks for itself, but it's even more amazing watching the game. Houston also got screwed when a blatant goaltend wasn't called late in regulation, Dream hit both free throws, but he would've had a chance for a 3 point play if the call had been made correctly. Then late in OT, Sampson had a chance to put Houston up 1, but missed one of his free throws.

Haven't seen the '88 series vs Dallas, but it's tough to imagine how a guy could put up numbers like that and lose, I seriously doubt he had much help in that series.

Da_Realist
08-09-2011, 05:02 PM
Surprised no one's mentioned how effing quick KJ was in that game I posted. Cleveland had this guy sitting on the bench before trading him to Phoenix...

TAC602
08-09-2011, 05:08 PM
Oh, I actually was kind of making an excuse for Hakeem myself. :oldlol: Because those offenses were really poor, and not because of him. The spacing was awful, same with the perimeter player's shot selection.

And yeah, considering what we saw out of him even early on, you have to wonder what he could've done with more help earlier. And even that '86 run was amazing for more reasons than simply beating LA and challenging arguably the GOAT team in the finals.

John Lucas had been suspended leaving them without their PG. Ralph Sampson was inconsistent and I really question his mental toughness. Dream seemed ready in big games, I'm not so sure about Sampson.

They really relied on Dream a lot, and he delivered, despite being a second year player who had just started playing in his mid teens. For example, look at game 5 with Houston facing elimination. Sampson was ejected early and Hakeem had a monster game. Something like 25/13/8, iirc.

Then in game 6 vs Seattle the following year, he just put them on his back, the statline speaks for itself, but it's even more amazing watching the game. Houston also got screwed when a blatant goaltend wasn't called late in regulation, Dream hit both free throws, but he would've had a chance for a 3 point play if the call had been made correctly. Then late in OT, Sampson had a chance to put Houston up 1, but missed one of his free throws.

Haven't seen the '88 series vs Dallas, but it's tough to imagine how a guy could put up numbers like that and lose, I seriously doubt he had much help in that series.

Great points, all-around. Nothing to add.

That could make for an interesting thread down the road itself. Playoff Series that were miraculous but came in losing efforts. Hakeem's Dallas series would be up there, probably several of Kareem's from the 70s, a cluster of Jordan's before he got the Bulls over the hump..

TAC602
08-09-2011, 05:10 PM
Surprised no one's mentioned how effing quick KJ was in that game I posted. Cleveland had this guy sitting on the bench before trading him to Phoenix...

Is Kenny Smith's defense that bad, or is Kevin Johnson that good? :oldlol: :applause:

Jacks3
08-09-2011, 05:15 PM
...who said you were bothering me? It was a genuine inquiry. Relax, internet tough guy.
I'm totally relaxed son. :pimp:

Da_Realist
08-09-2011, 05:20 PM
Is Kenny Smith's defense that bad, or is Kevin Johnson that good? :oldlol: :applause:

:oldlol: Oh he got Cassell a few times too. I always liked Kenny but he was WAY overmatched here.

Da_Realist
08-09-2011, 09:42 PM
1994 John Starks vs Rockets Finals Game 6 (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NRURjzNtbrA)
27 pts (16 in the 4th Q), 8 asts

TAC602
08-09-2011, 10:03 PM
John Starks vs Rockets 1994 Game 6 (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NRURjzNtbrA)
27 pts (16 in the 4th Q), 8 asts

Starks was like :basketball but then Dream was like :no:

But yeah, hell of an effort indeed.

Da_Realist
08-09-2011, 10:24 PM
Starks was like :basketball but then Dream was like :no:

But yeah, hell of an effort indeed.

There's not much more I can say about Hakeem. Dude was flat out amazing on both sides of the ball. He made two defensive plays near the end of this game that saved their season. The block on Starks 3 and the steal just before that. I've seen him make clutch play after clutch play after clutch play in big games. I didn't see Kareem, Wilt and Russell in their primes but in an all time draft of centers, I would take Hakeem first.

Da_Realist
08-09-2011, 10:28 PM
For all those people bitching about MJ's pushoff against Utah

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NRURjzNtbrA#t=14m20s

Da_Realist
08-11-2011, 01:29 AM
1988 John Stockton vs Lakers WCSF Game 5 (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lr74GwkIFkI)
23 pts, 24 asts, 5 stls

28renyoy
08-11-2011, 01:50 AM
Durant put up 40/8/5/2/2 on 76 TS% vs Dallas in game 1

Psileas
08-11-2011, 09:14 AM
Can't believe nobody mentioned the only player to ever get a 40/10/10 game in the history of the Finals (and in a Game 7, nonetheless).

Miller for 3
08-11-2011, 09:44 AM
Steve Nash had a 48 point playoff game that they lost. Think it was 05 against the Mavs

jlauber
08-11-2011, 10:06 AM
Can't believe nobody mentioned the only player to ever get a 40/10/10 game in the history of the Finals (and in a Game 7, nonetheless).

And he went on to become the only Finals MVP to have ever played on a losing team, too.

Da_Realist
08-11-2011, 10:11 AM

Not much footage of that game (I only have the 4th quarter) :-/

jlip
08-11-2011, 10:39 AM
John Stockton vs Lakers 1988 Game 5 (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lr74GwkIFkI)
23 pts, 24 asts, 5 stls

I hadn't watched the video yet, but I'm wondering what Magic's statline was in that game.

Da_Realist
08-13-2011, 12:39 AM
1990 Magic Johnson vs Suns WCSF Game 5 (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LgNU5B0Q_2M)
43 points (15-26 fgs)

Big#50
08-13-2011, 09:26 AM
Duncan had like 36/24 against the Lakers.
42/13 against The Mavs.

Da_Realist
08-13-2011, 03:24 PM

I was actually in the process of posting the 4th Q of this game until I noticed that the guy that had this game posted previously on youtube mysteriously got his account deleted.

http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/showthread.php?t=177967

Fatal9
08-13-2011, 03:28 PM
what about Hakeem vs. Sonics in G7? His statline wasn't ridiculous (by his standards), still 23/17/9/3 but I thought he played amazing on both ends, especially considering the defense/doubles/traps he was facing from the Sonics. Got screwed by bad calls at the end though. That was also the only elimination game he lost from '93-'95...went 9-0 in the other ones :eek:.

Forgot to record game 6 from '87 wcsf last week to get a high quality version of his 49/26 game :facepalm

NugzHeat3
08-13-2011, 05:08 PM
what about Hakeem vs. Sonics in G7? His statline wasn't ridiculous (by his standards), still 23/17/9/3 but I thought he played amazing on both ends, especially considering the defense/doubles/traps he was facing from the Sonics. Got screwed by bad calls at the end though. That was also the only elimination game he lost from '93-'95...went 9-0 in the other ones :eek:.

Forgot to record game 6 from '87 wcsf last week to get a high quality version of his 49/26 game :facepalm

Not only were they screwed in that game 7, they were also screwed in the last game of the season which resulted in Seattle having home court.

David Robinson tipped in a missed shot to send it to overtime but the replays showed it was clearly late.

Drama, trauma as Rockets fall/Spurs eke out 119-117 win
EDDIE SEFKO Staff
MON 04/26/1993 HOUSTON CHRONICLE, Section Sports, Page 1, 2 STAR
SAN ANTONIO -- In a game that refused to die against a team that had more lives than any cat, the Rockets were dealt a disheartening and controversial 119-117 overtime setback by the San Antonio Spurs in the regular-season finale Sunday night.

The Rockets, who lost a chance to win the home-court advantage in the second round against Seattle because of the loss, fell behind 113-109 when David Robinson scored the first two baskets of overtime. They never fully recovered.

The Rockets had a final chance to tie when, down 117-115, Scott Brooks missed an off-balance jumper from the corner with 10 seconds to go in OT. Avery Johnson hit two free throws for the Spurs with 2.5 seconds to go to clinch the win.

The Rockets finished the season with a two-game losing streak, but how they lost Sunday's thriller will be discussed for days.

Robinson tipped in a shot at the end of regulation to force overtime. The missed shot came from Dale Ellis and television replays showed Robinson's tip appeared to come after the buzzer.

Hakeem was shown lamenting the fact he didn't get to travel to the Arizona desert.

"You know, I was really looking forward to playing Phoenix," Olajuwon said. "They're small. I don't think they could have stopped me. We could have gone to the Finals."
http://www.chron.com/CDA/archives/archive.mpl?id=1993_1131152

Remember, Hakeem felt he deserved the 1993 MVP.

Olajuwon, who trails Barkley in sneaker and deodorant commercials by about 14-0, admitted yesterday that he felt slighted by last year's voting.

We know how Hakeem played when he felt he deserved the MVP. What would he have done to that Suns frontline? :eek:

Da_Realist
08-30-2011, 12:11 AM
1980 Dr J vs Lakers NBA Finals Game 5 (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hx9jQQkOLPM)

jlauber
08-30-2011, 01:04 AM
1980 Dr J vs Lakers NBA Finals Game 5 (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hx9jQQkOLPM)

That was probably Kareem's greatest game, too, especially given the fact that he was dominating in the 4th period and with a badly sprained ankle.

L.A. Jazz
08-30-2011, 02:23 PM
I hadn't watched the video yet, but I'm wondering what Magic's statline was in that game.

that game is a great example why Stockton is my favorite PG of all time.

Natureland
08-30-2011, 02:47 PM
First post here, but...what about Tim Duncan's 41/15/6 in Game 7 of the 2006 WCSF vs. Dallas?

RRR3
08-30-2011, 04:27 PM
Steve Nash had a 48 point playoff game that they lost. Think it was 05 against the Mavs
I think I saw that game. That was the first time I realized Steve Nash could easily be a scorer if he wanted to.

RRR3
08-30-2011, 04:28 PM
Has anyone mentioned LBJ averaging 38/8/8 against the Magic in a series the Cavs lost? If not, I'll add it.

Da_Realist
09-02-2011, 11:24 PM
TLC: 1987 Hakeem Olajuwon vs Sonics WCSF Game 6 (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VcqTh0tok8w)

49 pts, 24 reb, 6 blks

pauk
09-03-2011, 12:10 AM
Only playoffs right? Playing like GOD, putting up video game numbers and still coming up short (because afterall... this is not tennis.. the best team will win.. not the best player)? Thats the story of Lebrons career so far in the playoffs...... here is some examples...

2009 Playoffs Game 1 - Magic vs Cavs (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f6i0Rt-_BM8)

Lebron 49 - 8 - 6

2009 Playoffs Game 4 - Magic vs Cavs (http://www.basketball-reference.com/boxscores/200905260ORL.html)

Lebron 44 - 12 - 7

2009 Playoffs Game 3 - Magic vs Cavs (http://www.basketball-reference.com/boxscores/200905240ORL.html)

Lebron 41 - 9 - 7

2008 Playoffs Game 7 - Celtics vs Cavs (http://www.basketball-reference.com/boxscores/200805180BOS.html)

Lebron 45 - 6 - 5

2010 Playoffs Game 3 - Bulls vs Cavs (http://www.basketball-reference.com/boxscores/201004220CHI.html)

Lebron 39 - 10 - 8

2011 Playoffs Game 5 - Mavs vs Heat - Lebron Triple Double. (http://www.basketball-reference.com/boxscores/201106090DAL.html)

Only the 2nd NBA Finals triple double since 1991.....

2010 Playoffs Game 6 - Cavs vs Celtics - Lebron Triple Double. (http://www.basketball-reference.com/boxscores/201005130BOS.html)

Lebron 27 - 19 - 10

Miller for 3
09-03-2011, 12:25 AM
Only playoffs right? Playing like GOD, putting up video game numbers and still coming up short (because afterall... this is not tennis.. the best team will win.. not the best player)? Thats the story of Lebrons career so far in the playoffs...... here is some examples...

2009 Playoffs Game 1 - Magic vs Cavs (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f6i0Rt-_BM8)

Lebron 49 - 8 - 6

2009 Playoffs Game 4 - Magic vs Cavs (http://www.basketball-reference.com/boxscores/200905260ORL.html)

Lebron 44 - 12 - 7

2009 Playoffs Game 3 - Magic vs Cavs (http://www.basketball-reference.com/boxscores/200905240ORL.html)

Lebron 41 - 9 - 7

2008 Playoffs Game 7 - Celtics vs Cavs (http://www.basketball-reference.com/boxscores/200805180BOS.html)

Lebron 45 - 6 - 5

2010 Playoffs Game 3 - Bulls vs Cavs (http://www.basketball-reference.com/boxscores/201004220CHI.html)

Lebron 39 - 10 - 8

2011 Playoffs Game 5 - Mavs vs Heat - Lebron Triple Double. (http://www.basketball-reference.com/boxscores/201106090DAL.html)

Only the 2nd NBA Finals triple double since 1991.....

2010 Playoffs Game 6 - Cavs vs Celtics - Lebron Triple Double. (http://www.basketball-reference.com/boxscores/201005130BOS.html)

Lebron 27 - 19 - 10

That is incorrect. Off the top of my head, Rondo had one last year and Duncan had one in game 6 of 03. Im pretty sure Kidd had one or two as well in his Nets days