PDA

View Full Version : Of the 6 major sports, does basketball require the least amount of skill?

28renyoy
08-10-2011, 01:20 AM
I'm speaking of

Baseball
Football
Basketball
Soccar
Hockey
Golf

IGOTGAME
08-10-2011, 01:23 AM
It is football by far.

28renyoy
08-10-2011, 01:25 AM
It is football by far.

yet you see far more undersized players in the nfl than you do in the nba

L.Kizzle
08-10-2011, 01:28 AM
soccer

lilojmayo
08-10-2011, 01:29 AM
I'm speaking of

Baseball
Football
Basketball
Soccar
Hockey
Golf

Football and Basketball are easier to pick up then the other sports. Which is why they are the two most played sports in the country. But at the same time since they are played so much the competition far exceeds any of the other sports. You basically have to ask if you never had experience playing a sport which would you struggle the most.

1. Golf
2. Hockey
3.Baseball
4. Soccer
5. Basketball
6.Football

NumberSix
08-10-2011, 01:30 AM
It is football by far.
Yeah, depending on position, it's easily the NFL by far.

USABall
imo (ice) hockey is the most difficult, followed by basketball then meh

side note: interesting article/study:

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/sportSkills

Rekindled
football . because every position is so specialized everyone only need to go 1 thing.

cteach111
08-10-2011, 01:31 AM
i think its football.. besides the quarterback position

track is another sport, well specifically the 100M

Success in those sports relies almost 100% on your genetics.

i agree with others on soccer, lacrosse, hockey, golf, etc. i suck at those sports lol. they are hard as hell to pick up.

NBAller
08-10-2011, 01:32 AM
Golf.

Boston C's
08-10-2011, 01:33 AM
For me its baseball easily besides pitcher and catcher players really dont need to have stamina to play baseball you can be an outfielder and barely see the ball all game and then you bat like once every 3 innings... the toughest thing is hitting because the ball goes so fast that requires skill and development but once you got that down your all set

jlip
I've never played organized soccer. So from an ignorant outsider's perspective I'm wondering what skills are actually needed to play that game effectively apart from great footwork/ coordination?

28renyoy
Golf.

golf is by far the most skilled sport. it's probably 95% skill until you reach a point where athleticism/strength takes over. hitting a baseball is right behind it.

Theoo's Daddy
08-10-2011, 01:34 AM
golf and it's not even close.. :oldlol:

Dave3
soccer
Please tell me you're kidding. If you think soccer requires the least skill then I'm almost positive you have never played it. Speaking as someone who plays basketball and some soccer/baseball, the latter two are much much more difficult to pick up.

NumberSix
For me its baseball easily besides pitcher and catcher players really dont need to have stamina to play baseball you can be an outfielder and barely see the ball all game and then you bat like once every 3 innings... the toughest thing is hitting because the ball goes so fast that requires skill and development but once you got that down your all set
Stamina is not a skill

Boston C's
08-10-2011, 01:35 AM
I've never played organized soccer. So from an ignorant outsider's perspective I'm wondering what skills are actually needed to play that game effectively apart from great footwork/ coordination?

Ive played soccer up to the college ranks and from a players perspective its like basketball except with your feet lol... thats the quickest way to sum it up for me

Boston C's
08-10-2011, 01:35 AM
Stamina is not a skill

I understand that but for most sports you need stamina to compete effectively

28renyoy
08-10-2011, 01:36 AM
let's look at it this way. a guy that's 7 feet tall walks into a gym. he has never played basketball before, but he has world class athleticism. do you think you could beat him 1 on 1?

NumberSix
08-10-2011, 01:37 AM
After football, I'd say basketball. Seriously, there's some freakin' unbelievable scrubs in the NBA.

lefthook00
08-10-2011, 01:41 AM

You pretty much have to train your feet to have the same dexterity as your hands.

Basketball and soccer are similar, skillwise. Most players have the ability to play most of the positions. Soccer is pretty much basketball but with your feet and a goal instead of a basket.

Football as a whole requires so many different things that it has to be split up a bunch.

Baseball is more complicated than you think. It's a game of many situations.

Basically, the more players you have on the court, the more complicated the sport.

cteach111
08-10-2011, 01:41 AM
After football, I'd say basketball. Seriously, there's some freakin' unbelievable scrubs in the NBA.

kinda true. i think its especially true of the center position. You can find some real bozos at that spot.

28renyoy
08-10-2011, 01:43 AM
i would say that at least 1/4 of amateur basketball players are more skilled than the average nba center, who just happens to be 6'10+ on average

Theoo's Daddy
08-10-2011, 01:45 AM

bicycle kicks and ball control are not skills that everyone who plays soccer posses, especially when you are facing good sweepers. Your ankles and shin bones are at risk :oldlol:. I've witnessed guys dislocate their elbows trying to do bicycle kicks,also ankles and shin bones break from not being able to control the ball when facing good sweepers.

MeLO MvP 15
08-10-2011, 01:48 AM
let's look at it this way. a guy that's 7 feet tall walks into a gym. he has never played basketball before, but he has world class athleticism. do you think you could beat him 1 on 1?
That literally doesn't bring anything to the argument.

If you threw any massive guy (I'm talking huge) on a football field with amazing speed (about as realistic as your scenario) wouldn't he excel?

Any sport can have a guy with no skill come in and be productive. If you're fast and coordinated then you can be a good soccer player, obviously you won't have the skill to shoot or pass well but you'll be athletic enough to be good at defense. Same with baseball, if you're strong and coordinated you should be able to hit a baseball pretty far.

Golf really requires technique because you really can't just go out and smash the ball as hard as you can (unless you believe Happy Gilmore). Hockey requires good skating skill and technique to do well also.

I think basketball is in the same category as football and soccer.

FindingTim
08-10-2011, 01:50 AM
I have lots of experience with baseball, basketball and soccer. I think soccer is the easiest to pick up and requires the least skill. I'm always surprised how few people are good at baseball. people who are great athletes when it comes to other sports can't hit for a lick, or can't throw (just ask John Wall).

NumberSix
08-10-2011, 01:53 AM
I understand that but for most sports you need stamina to compete effectively
But we're talking about skill.

I could tell you that basketball is the most elite sport in the world. Simply by looking at hight, such a small percentage of people can even qualify. I myself am 6'4 and I can basically only be a PG or an undersized SG. A VERY small percentile of the population even reaches my height (less than 3%) and I'm too short for the majority of the positions.

That's not a skill though.

Boston C's
08-10-2011, 01:53 AM
That literally doesn't bring anything to the argument.

If you threw any massive guy (I'm talking huge) on a football field with amazing speed (about as realistic as your scenario) wouldn't he excel?

Any sport can have a guy with no skill come in and be productive. If you're fast and coordinated then you can be a good soccer player, obviously you won't have the skill to shoot or pass well but you'll be athletic enough to be good at defense. Same with baseball, if you're strong and coordinated you should be able to hit a baseball pretty far.

Golf really requires technique because you really can't just go out and smash the ball as hard as you can (unless you believe Happy Gilmore). Hockey requires good skating skill and technique to do well also.

I think basketball is in the same category as football and soccer.

I was thinking about arguing with the bolded til i realized you were totally right... in college you need skill to be a defender but in high school i had a freak of nature player playing sweeper who never played before in his life and we used him for defense exactly for what you stated :lol

Boston C's
08-10-2011, 01:56 AM
But we're talking about skill.

I could tell you that basketball is the most elite sport in the world. Simply by looking at hight, such a small percentage of people can even qualify. I myself am 6'4 and I can basically only be a PG or an undersized SG. A VERY small percentile of the population even reaches my height (less than 3%) and I'm too short for the majority of the positions.

That's not a skill though.

Well put cant argue with that... I just wanted to point out that stamina in most sports is important and for sports like baseball and golf it really isnt

IGOTGAME
08-10-2011, 02:03 AM
yes

chazzy
08-10-2011, 02:08 AM
A 7 footer with world class athleticism has a greater chance of succeeding in the NFL than the NBA

JustinJDW
08-10-2011, 02:12 AM
In my opinion, football and baseball are automatically out of the discussion, because the Quarterback and Pitcher are easily two of the most difficult positions to play and excel at in basically all of sports.

Its probably basketball...

NumberSix
08-10-2011, 02:17 AM
In my opinion, football and baseball are automatically out of the discussion, because the Quarterback and Pitcher are easily two of the most difficult positions to play and excel at in basically all of sports.

Its probably basketball...
Yes, cuz every player in the NFL is a quarterback. Clearly there are no positions that have lesser skill requirements.

kaiteng
08-10-2011, 02:35 AM
football . because every position is so specialized everyone only need to go 1 thing.
This, so I don't have to re-write the same thing.

For basketball, skills are big pluses to each player's games. Athleticism can do the job but skills make them special.

Stuckey
08-10-2011, 02:41 AM
i agree with ........

the nba center position is gotta be easy especially in this era

nba games have sooo many stoppage of plays, commercials, time outs

but NFL is probably easier, u get to catch your breath every 10 seconds, and long ass breaks

NBA centers have to be in very good condition + hustle their heart out while being mentally checked in at all times

Timmy D for MVP
08-10-2011, 02:44 AM
Basketball is a skill sport since you have to do things like dribble the ball and shoot at the basket.

In football you can just run and try not to get killed. I feel like it's more natural a sport.

Baseball and golf are completely skill, I mean athleticism is a plus for sure, but if you don't have the developed skills you're not going to be successful.

Soccer is very much skill based too because you have less control using your feet than you do your hands. That said those who grow up playing it like many of us did basketball might argue differently.

But it really is tough to remember since I've been playing basketball so long, just how hard it is to pick up at first. We had some exchange students who played tennis and were fast and were good at football and soccer. But we got them on the court and they looked like a couple 6 years olds could beat them. It's really an odd sport if you think about it.

JustinJDW
08-10-2011, 02:51 AM
Yes, cuz every player in the NFL is a quarterback. Clearly there are no positions that have lesser skill requirements.Come on man. Football can't even be in the discussion if they have easily the most difficult, stressful and unforgiving position in all of sports. No other position even comes close. The skill it takes to be a Quarterback, Pitcher and maybe even Designated Hitter exceeds that of any position in basketball. Which is why its easy for me to say the answer is basketball.

sundizz
08-10-2011, 03:08 AM
I am very very very naturally skilled at sports...just short.

My definition of 'skills' is would you be able to play with a bunch of normal athleticism guys that have played the sport for 10+ years. For example, if you went to the park and there were a bunch of 20-40 year old people there could you play the game without being a huge detriment to the fun.

Results for someone with above average athleticism and coordinator (me)
In order of easiest to hardest (assuming you get to have one day to practice)

1. Baseball.
Catching and throwing. Your singular effect on any single game is usually not that great. I've never once played baseball in any organized way, but when I play with people that do know how to play I don't embarrass myself. I can catch the ball if it easy and i'm fast enough to get a grounder. I have a naturally good arm and can get it close enough to my target. I suck at hitting, and am a detriment there but with a subpar picture I can occasionally get a good whack at the ball.

2. Soccer
If you have decent athleticism you can always play defense. I really am terrible at kicking the ball but can play great on the ball or help defense. This is a game with clear cut offense and defensive players so as long as you don't choose a position (forward) that requires mad skill you can play just fine. I played with varsity level players and most of them had no idea I never played soccer before. All I did was play defense and try to not do too much. I've played one on one soccer against people that have high school level of skills and beat them. Again, mostly luck, I was faster than them and it was a big field, and no goalie. It takes a little bit to get used to dribbling with your feet, but as far as sports go you can pick that up fairly quickly.

3. Football
Football really depends on how properly it is played. You have to at least understand football to play it decently. You have to know where to be and what to do/the rules. This is not necessarily skill, but rather knowledge. If you are playing tackle then the skill is a bit less. You can be huge, fast and strong and dominate as a running back or etc. This gets the nod above the other two because you HAVE to be able to catch the ball, move laterally, move explosively, and gauge distance. If you are wide open and can't catch the ball you are a huge liability. Alternatively, if you keep getting torched on defense you are a huge liability.

4. Basketball
In bball you can be pretty terrible and still be allowed on a court. However, the skills required to be good are very fine tuned. Being a skilled shooter is something purely learned, and not physical (such as catching). Same with dribbling. However, you can be tall and do other things. Alternatively, as long as you can catch and get the ball to someone else it is usually enough. However, the divide between not having skills and having skills is larger than the prior two sports.

5. Hockey
Ice skating is a semi-skill. I could ice skate just fine the first time I ever tried it. Stopping, turning quickly, etc etc is something I'm sure I could pick up if I go another 20+ times. I think the skill to hit a puck while moving is pretty hard though. I think basketball requires more actual skill, but I think for most people skating and using a stick at the same time is a combination of body skill that requires tons and tons of practice. I might be an exception, rather than the rule here.

6. Tennis
As an avid tennis player, I can say with certainty if you don't have the skills you have no chance. The athleticism/etc only comes in to play once you have the skills. Someone fast and strong will be only marginally better than someone slow and weak. Skill definitely trumps all, until you get to the upper echelons.

7. Golf
This sport requires the most skill in my opinion. I naturally have been able to get by, or do well at every sport I've ever played just a few times. Golf is by far the exception. It is impossible. The skill required to hit that ball properly is just unbelievable. Size, strength and every measure of normal athletic ability (coordination, wrist strength, explosiveness, etc) really have no bearing on golf. It is a pure skill sport.

Butters
08-10-2011, 03:19 AM
Baseball is the hardest sport to master.

Football or basketball are probably on the easy side.

I'd go with football.

one2
08-10-2011, 03:52 AM

Good luck with that. Some never get it. Only the few ever bat at a high level.

LJJ
08-10-2011, 04:09 AM
Football requires the least amount of skill.

Baseball and golf probably the most, because it's only skill. In a sport like soccer you need to have a combination of skill, athleticism, intelligence and etcetera while in golf you really only need one specialized skill and that's that. It's very pure.

therammingman
08-10-2011, 04:10 AM
NBA centers are the least skilled

Bigsmoke
08-10-2011, 04:12 AM
if anything, basketball the the second hardest.

i been around guys that dont play soccer that are REALLY good at it.

magnax1
08-10-2011, 04:16 AM
Obviously it's football, excluding a few positions. You can outskill an athlete in basketball, you just can't do that in a lot of positions in football.

OhNoTimNoSho
08-10-2011, 09:31 AM
guys stop mentioning baseball, it is not a sport, more like an activity or a past time

bagelred
08-10-2011, 09:59 AM
You got to laugh at people who think baseball doesn't take skill. Hitting a baseball is ALL SKILL. Try hitting a 90 mph fastball. Tell me that's not skillful.

To me, football is easily the least skillful for most positions. Just amazing strong athletes who can hit people, run fast, and tackle.

I guess by default golf is the most skillful, but its not a major sport, so remove it from the list. It's an activitiy.

noob cake
08-10-2011, 10:40 AM
NBA centers are the least skilled

Damn right, the only professional league where you can be drafted completely based on potential after picking up basketball 5 years prior.

Flamboyant
08-10-2011, 10:49 AM
2. Soccer
If you have decent athleticism you can always play defense. I really am terrible at kicking the ball but can play great on the ball or help defense. This is a game with clear cut offense and defensive players so as long as you don't choose a position (forward) that requires mad skill you can play just fine. I played with varsity level players and most of them had no idea I never played soccer before. All I did was play defense and try to not do too much. I've played one on one soccer against people that have high school level of skills and beat them. Again, mostly luck, I was faster than them and it was a big field, and no goalie. It takes a little bit to get used to dribbling with your feet, but as far as sports go you can pick that up fairly quickly.

7. Golf
This sport requires the most skill in my opinion. I naturally have been able to get by, or do well at every sport I've ever played just a few times. Golf is by far the exception. It is impossible. The skill required to hit that ball properly is just unbelievable. Size, strength and every measure of normal athletic ability (coordination, wrist strength, explosiveness, etc) really have no bearing on golf. It is a pure skill sport.

I agree with what you are saying, but comparisons are wrong. Golf is not a team sport, thus I think you are comparing pro golf to a football game at the park (i'm talking about soccer). None of the things you mentioned were related to actual pro football.
IMO Golf is the easiest, and it's not even close. You can start at the age of 68, and be the GOAT at 69. Hyperbole aside, it really just needs some practice, and you're good to go. Of course the first time you play it you won't be good, but that's the case for every other sport. You can be a defender in a football game with your friends, that's because you can count on your teammates covering you. And this comparison to golf would be. . . rolling the ball to a 10 meter distance. Neither require that much of a skill.
Now playing golf on wide areas is as if you played football in actual stadiums, and against good players. In that case standing there as a defender you would be destroyed by guys faster than you, because it takes a lot to learn positioning, and off-side traps, and even when you do, you won't stand much chance if you aren't gifted with talent.

The other sports require so much more practice, and dicipline. Golf doesn't even require stamina.

To me I'd say it's:
Golf
Baseball
American football
Hockey (i may be overrating it, becasue i'm horrible at balancing myself on ice)
Football
Basketball
Tennis

Eat Like A Bosh
08-10-2011, 10:54 AM
Least skill required in order to play?

Easily Football. I known lots of kids who can't even caatch or throw a football properly, but they easily make the football team. You don't really need skills to be a lineman. You just have to be big.

Basketball, Soccer, Baseball all require skills of some sort for you to play.

The Football team is really easy to make.

gilalizard
08-10-2011, 11:01 AM
Golf is not a sport.

Well, unless you count bowling a sport too.

LBJFTW
08-10-2011, 11:32 AM
I don't really think you can look and compare the various sports as a whole, a better comparison would be to break down all the positions of each sport, and rank them in terms of difficulty with the positions of the other sports. The sport that has the overall amount of difficulty in taking the average of all positions combined is the one that is most difficult sport overall.

Droid101
08-10-2011, 11:35 AM
Easily Football. I known lots of kids who can't even caatch or throw a football properly, but they easily make the football team. You don't really need skills to be a lineman. You just have to be big.

Exactly this.

Want to play football? Eat a lot. Bam, instant lineman.

Blue&Orange
08-10-2011, 11:48 AM
if anything, basketball the the second hardest.

i been around guys that dont play soccer that are REALLY good at it.
You mean US good right?
Rest of the word, by the age 2 you're already kicking some ball around, so someone that don't play soccer have almost zero chance of being good at it.

Joshumitsu
08-10-2011, 11:50 AM
It's football.

Basketball and soccer are high speed, non-stop games. At a decent level, you're going to need high coordination skills along with strong footwork, body control, and mental concentration.

Baseball is often regarded as the sport that requires the most skill, so that's definitely off the list.

Golf is probably pretty hard too. I mean, I've tried golf and can barely even swing the damn thing. I don't understand the game.

D-Wade316
08-10-2011, 11:53 AM
The exact opposite.

Easiest to Hardest: (4 Major leauges)
Baseball
Football
Basketball
Hockey

Pinkhearts
08-10-2011, 12:15 PM

2. Soccer

This is a joke right? Defense is easy for a lame 3 on 3 pick up game, but for every organized game you need to have a good knowledge on how your team defense is going to work or you will get crushed very quickly. Football is all zone D and if your teammates don't have the knowledge of where to move and where to cover when situation changes you will be caught open quickly.

And one on one soccer lol how the hell is that. Shows that you have never played football properly. Forward is hardly the most skilled position in football, although you need great technique to convert your chances well. The playmaker probably has a job that requires higher knowledge and creativity.

inthenickoftime
08-10-2011, 12:25 PM
:facepalm at the ppl who pick football

Fiasco
08-10-2011, 01:03 PM
All I know is that hockey requires the most.

Warriors fan
08-10-2011, 01:08 PM
Of the 60 major trolls, does 28renyoy trolling require the least amount of skill?

OKC Adonis
08-10-2011, 01:21 PM
You got to laugh at people who think baseball doesn't take skill. Hitting a baseball is ALL SKILL. Try hitting a 90 mph fastball. Tell me that's not skillful.

To me, football is easily the least skillful for most positions. Just amazing strong athletes who can hit people, run fast, and tackle.

I guess by default golf is the most skillful, but its not a major sport, so remove it from the list. It's an activitiy.

Hitting a baseball is probably one of the hardest things to do in sports at the Pro level.

Getting on base is even harder.

I am 6'2", I have a chance to score a basket against certain NBA players(short point guards for example). I may go 1 for 25 but I have a chance.

I have a much less chance of hitting a baseball by a Pro pitcher.

alanLA92
08-10-2011, 01:46 PM
football because there are so many positions you can play.

Joey Zaza
08-10-2011, 02:19 PM
Interesting topic, really interesting that despite this being a basketball site, basketball is not dominating the voting...

Making a basket is probably easier than anything else listed. Further, someone without any basketball knowlege or experience can still get out for a game and play without looking too foolish. Worst happens, you miss a shot (everyone does) your guys scores on you (so what, everyone is scored on).

But, to that end, since scoring a basket is so easy (compare to other sports, ball goes in 40-60 times a game, runs/goals/TD score 3-4 times a game) stopping the basket is insanely hard.

Further, the comparison between other sports is largely unfair. Baseball and golf are about fine motor skills. The position of the fingers when holding the ball, swinging the club. The gross motor..swinging the arms, jumping, are useful, but not primary. Basketball and football is all gross motor skills. Big, broad movements dominate--(though I'm sure R.Allen and R.Miller will tell you their finger tips are the whole game).

All that being said, ice hockey seems impossible.

tpols
08-10-2011, 02:42 PM
yet you see far more undersized players in the nfl than you do in the nba
I assume by undersized you just mean height.. you could easily flip that around and say basketball players are undersized a lot of times too in terms of weight[look at Durant dominating the league in scoring.. he would get broken in half in any true contact sport].

For skill most needed to least I'd put it :

Hockey
Baseball
Soccer
Basketball

Football

For football you can just be an athletic freak and get by on that purely. Most guys in the NBA are actually extremely skilled at dribbling the ball, shooting, passing etc.. all skills. A lot of the guys in the NFL can run and lift extremely well.. which really aren't skills. The QB is the biggest skill position in football though.

PowerGlove
08-10-2011, 02:49 PM
I wouldve said this discussion is pointless, but it does expose a lot of things in certain posters.

Basketball is one of the hardest.

tpols
08-10-2011, 02:51 PM
Hitting a baseball is probably one of the hardest things to do in sports at the Pro level.

Getting on base is even harder.

I am 6'2", I have a chance to score a basket against certain NBA players(short point guards for example). I may go 1 for 25 but I have a chance.

I have a much less chance of hitting a baseball by a Pro pitcher.
If you had a professional NBA player guarding you on the wing, you probably wouldn't even be able to put the ball on the floor without it getting poked away, much less actually get a shot off. Even if we gave you the shortest, worst point guard in the league, like Derek Fisher for example, he would still manhandle you.

And whose to say you would get a shitty PG on you? Thats like putting me up against the worst pitcher in the MLB. Chances are you would fail in both scenarios if you played an average pitcher/basketball player.

And to the example of being able to just throw it up and eventually it will go in, I could just stick the bat out for a bunt and eventually I would hit it.

PowerGlove
08-10-2011, 02:53 PM
Obviously Durant would hit the weight if he were a football player but didnt Randy Moss just finish up a 12 year career? He was tall in comparison to the people guarding him and he didnt get snapped in half. Wes Welker isnt dead. Desean Jackson is still unbroken, slender/skinny wideouts are in the league too.

tpols
08-10-2011, 02:55 PM
Obviously Durant would hit the weight if he were a football player but didnt Randy Moss just finish up a 12 year career? He was tall in comparison to the people guarding him and he didnt get snapped in half. Wes Welker isnt dead. Desean Jackson is still unbroken, slender/skinny wideouts are in the league too.
There are way more low weight/BMI players in the NBA than in the NFL.. that was the point.

tpols
08-10-2011, 02:58 PM
http://www.bballcentral.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2010/02/kevin-durant.jpg
http://a.espncdn.com/photo/2007/1011/nfl_g_moss_350.jpg

And Randy Moss isn't even close to Durants skinnyness.. Moss would actually be an average weight perimeter player in the NBA despite being one of the thinnest in the NFL.

bdreason
08-10-2011, 02:59 PM
Here is my list of major American sports, based on skill, hardest to easiest.

1. Golf - the entire sport is based on skill. I have friends who are shorter and weaker than me that consistently out-drive me, and out-play me.

2. Baseball - another sport that requires mostly skill. Speed, stamina, and strength are nice, but not required.

3. Hockey - they play on ice. Most people can't even ice skate, let alone play a sport while skating.

4. Basketball - requires a combination of skills using both the hands and feet. I would love to rank bball higher, but the sport is highly reliant on size and athleticism as well. That's why many claim Basketball has the greatest athletes in the World.

5. Football - the positions in football make the sport more specialized. Only the QB position requires as many skills as some of the other sports mentioned.

JohnnySic
08-10-2011, 03:00 PM
Golf is not a sport, its a game. Its as much a sport as bowling, shooting pool, or throwing darts. Are those sports too? :facepalm

PowerGlove
08-10-2011, 03:02 PM
http://www.bballcentral.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2010/02/kevin-durant.jpg
http://a.espncdn.com/photo/2007/1011/nfl_g_moss_350.jpg

And Randy Moss isn't even close to Durants skinnyness.. Moss would actually be an average weight perimeter player in the NBA despite being one of the thinnest in the NFL.

My point was Durant wouldnt look the same if he went to nfl.

tpols
08-10-2011, 03:08 PM
My point was Durant wouldnt look the same if he went to nfl.
Durant is like 6'11 and he has very narrow shoulders.. he doesn't have a build to ever get big. Randy is only 6'4. If you saw Randy in person he could look like your average tall guy. If he wanted, he could be jacked as hell I bet. Durant on the other hand, would make you turn your head twice if you saw him in person. He's way taller and lankier. I dont think his build would last for one minute in the NFL.

You have to remember Moss was an elite sprinter.. like one of the best football has ever seen. And it was all natural. Durant could never approach his athleticism or speed. All he has on him is reach.

ThaSwagg3r
08-10-2011, 03:13 PM
All sports require a good amount of skill. For sports like basketball and football you can pretty much get away with lack of skills by having supreme size and athletic ability. In basketball you can literally have no skills but as long as you are a 7 footer and you would play at the D-League at the worst. :oldlol: Size matters a lot in basketball. It takes a lot of skill at the same time but size is probably the most important thing.

Even though basketball and football may take the least skill, it still requires a lot. You can get away with having no or lack of skills in those two sports but I really doubt you can get away with that in many other ones.

Kensta
08-10-2011, 03:17 PM
Golf is not a sport, its a game. Its as much a sport as bowling, shooting pool, or throwing darts. Are those sports too? :facepalm

Yes, all those are sports too. Just because they don't require you to run around as much doesn't mean they aren't sports.

PowerGlove
08-10-2011, 03:29 PM
We can all find position/participants in each sport that dont have much skill.

LBJFTW
08-10-2011, 03:31 PM
We can all find position/participants in each sport that dont have much skill.

You saying golf caddy's don't have skill? Go watch Caddyshack!

DuMa
08-10-2011, 03:44 PM
im surprised.... not really LOL, that hockey hasnt been talked much on here. no one gives a shit about hockey but to be a defense man in hockey doesnt require much skill. learning to skate and hit and being 6ft plus. thats about it.

DMV2
08-10-2011, 03:45 PM
I think from a physical aspect, neither golf or baseball require much, at least not compared to football, basketball or hockey...or even soccer.

However, to be fair to baseball I think that sport requires the most mental skills out of all the other sports. Hitting a 99 MPH fastball isn't as easy as it looks. Same with trying to catch a line-drive as a baseman.

And to top it all, they play nearly every single day for 6-7 months (not incl spring training). They get maybe 4-5 days of rest in a month.

Quizno
08-10-2011, 03:53 PM
i'd say it depends on the positions in each sport. there are obviously a lot of unskilled big men in the NBA and a few who haven't even played all their lives that can still be effective at the highest level due to their size, while there are lightning quick guards with a ridiculous amount of skill in dribbling the ball, shooting, passing, etc

i'd probably say that baseball requires the most skill. it's pretty unforgiving because every single player has to hit (with the exception of the pitcher in the american league) along with playing defense. to be successful at a high level, you do have to be pretty athletic. there are the occasional players that aren't too athletic and those are usually pitchers, third basemen, first basemen and catchers, but those are also some of the most skilled players on the field. i won't even get started on hitting, it's just ****ing hard and frustrating as hell :no:

Fade-away
08-10-2011, 04:05 PM

ballcontrol is hugely important + tactical skill, soccer is a sport where you have to be born with a certain amoun of talent/skill because no matter how hard you train you won't get far otherwise

Dictator
08-10-2011, 04:47 PM
Basketball should require the most skill when you think about.

+Passing-You need great court vision, hand eye coordination, reaction skills, reflexes, and ball handling skills.
+Shooting-You need good accuracy, range, force, agility.
+On Court-You need speed, vertical, acceleration stamina, a healthy body, strength, agility, rebounding, post, and a variety of scoring.
+Defense-You need timing, accuracy, guarding, vertical.

SpanishACB
08-10-2011, 04:51 PM
Ive played soccer up to the college ranks and from a players perspective its like basketball except with your feet lol... thats the quickest way to sum it up for me

But a normal person who hasn't played neither will have a much easier time learning basketball, since you have more control in your hands.

Soccer is definetely the sport that takes the higher amount of skill because it requires incredible coordination with your foot, something you just have to learn from scratch because people rarely use their foot to do anything other than walking / running.

Fiasco
08-10-2011, 04:59 PM
im surprised.... not really LOL, that hockey hasnt been talked much on here. no one gives a shit about hockey but to be a defense man in hockey doesnt require much skill. learning to skate and hit and being 6ft plus. thats about it.

People don't care about hockey because it's not as accessible as football, basketball, or soccer. Defence is one of the hardest positions to learn... saying it only requires "skating, hitting and being tall" is like me saying playing a quarterback only requires being white, 6'2"+ and the ability to throw the ball.

Fazotronic
08-10-2011, 05:05 PM
you need much more skill in soccer than basketball and especially football.
in basketball do be truly on of the very best, you have to be at least 6'4, 6'6 and alot of the all time top 10 players are 7 footers.
A 5'10 guy has no chance whatsoever to be the best player of all time.
The way the sport works doens't allow that to happen.
You can almost call it unfair that a guy like lebron or any other super big athletic guy can just straight go play in the biggest league of basketball and be good.

in soccer height doesn't give you many advantage over others. much more people are able to compete making it harder for you to be the greatest.
making it more skillbased instead of just you being more gifted.
just look at messi.
he is one of the best players ever but the guy is a freakin dwarf.

DMV2
08-10-2011, 05:16 PM
In my area, white people love hockey. No just men but girls. I think most chicks around here like hockey and baseball the most.

(referring to DuMa's and Fiasco's posts)

Jxgator33
08-10-2011, 05:20 PM
Football is by far the easiest skill-wise out of the 6.

G.O.A.T
08-10-2011, 05:25 PM
I'm speaking of

Baseball
Football
Basketball
Soccar
Hockey
Golf

I'd say the most skill pertaining to the sport and/or the most exceptional physical gifts. The best players in the NBA could have dominated four of those other five sports had they committed to them instead of basketball. Imagine a Lebron James sized soccer goalie or Ron Artest as a defense-men in Hockey. I think Dwyane Wade could be the NFL's best receiver right now.

Football and Soccer take very little skill. Soccer takes more time and football more athletic ability, but both are mostly physical/conditioning based games. Hockey starts with becoming a great skater. Baseball and Golf are mostly based on mechanics and repetition and tennis is a combination of athleticism and skill, but rarely attracts the high level athlete.

ballup
08-10-2011, 06:16 PM
If we are taking out the point guards, pitchers, quarterbacks, punters, field goal kickers, goalies, and centers out of consideration, I think football requires the least amount of skills. But if we exclude football because it is a sport in which each player is limited to a couple of things his position demands, I'd say soccer.

If we are just speaking in terms of bare minimums, here are the basic skills that each player in each sport needs in order to play.

Basketball: dribbling, passing, layup, catching, contesting shots
Football: catching, tackling/holding
Soccer: running with the ball, passing, shooting, defending
Baseball: throwing the ball, batting, catching
Hockey: skating, passing, shooting, defending

I'm not going to include golf cause we all know that isn't the least skillful sport out there. Keep in mind that I am excluding all physical traits and wisdom about the sports.

The reasoning as to why soccer requires the least skill is that all of soccer's basic skills feel much more natural to do than the other sports.

jbryan1984
08-10-2011, 06:16 PM
I just clicked to see what sports #5 and 6 were.

magnax1
08-10-2011, 06:25 PM
I'd say the most skill pertaining to the sport and/or the most exceptional physical gifts. The best players in the NBA could have dominated four of those other five sports had they committed to them instead of basketball. Imagine a Lebron James sized soccer goalie or Ron Artest as a defense-men in Hockey. I think Dwyane Wade could be the NFL's best receiver right now.

Football and Soccer take very little skill. Soccer takes more time and football more athletic ability, but both are mostly physical/conditioning based games. Hockey starts with becoming a great skater. Baseball and Golf are mostly based on mechanics and repetition and tennis is a combination of athleticism and skill, but rarely attracts the high level athlete.
I think you're really ignoring how much skill it takes to score a goal in soccer. On defense, it's mostly a conditioning based game, but not at all on offense, though having the right body type is pretty huge, just like basketball.

Fazotronic
08-10-2011, 06:35 PM

lol soccer goalie. if you're gonna talk about dominating a sport pick positions that ppl care. you obviously picked the least skilled position. a position in which reaction, size and athleticism the most important are. lebron would never manage to be a half decent soccer player.

BlueandGold
08-10-2011, 06:37 PM
Football and Basketball are easier to pick up then the other sports. Which is why they are the two most played sports in the country. But at the same time since they are played so much the competition far exceeds any of the other sports. You basically have to ask if you never had experience playing a sport which would you struggle the most.

1. Golf
2. Hockey
3.Baseball
4. Soccer
5. Basketball
6.Football

I essentially agree with that except I'd have soccer and basketball as 5 and 6 and interchangeable. Throwing a football can be quite hard to do as well as tackling a player going full speed. I wouldn't even play on the defensive end of the football when i started playing (8th grade) until I had a year's experience of watching that side of the ball.

To give you an idea thinking about all of those sports and think about how many people actually play the sport that they watch. It's most likely basketball and soccer since they are very easy to pick up.

Yea sorry goat I don't agree with that.

magic14
08-10-2011, 07:53 PM
Not to say baseball doesn't take skill, but there's a reason why so many legends have done steroids...

wagexslave
08-10-2011, 10:33 PM
1 - NFL Quarterback
2 - NHL Goalie
3a - Golfer
3b - MLB Pitcher
3c - Soccer Goalie
4 - NBA Point Guard

That's my list

The Iron Fist
08-10-2011, 11:03 PM
Interesting topic, really interesting that despite this being a basketball site, basketball is not dominating the voting...

Making a basket is probably easier than anything else listed. Further, someone without any basketball knowlege or experience can still get out for a game and play without looking too foolish. Worst happens, you miss a shot (everyone does) your guys scores on you (so what, everyone is scored on).

But, to that end, since scoring a basket is so easy (compare to other sports, ball goes in 40-60 times a game, runs/goals/TD score 3-4 times a game) stopping the basket is insanely hard.

Further, the comparison between other sports is largely unfair. Baseball and golf are about fine motor skills. The position of the fingers when holding the ball, swinging the club. The gross motor..swinging the arms, jumping, are useful, but not primary. Basketball and football is all gross motor skills. Big, broad movements dominate--(though I'm sure R.Allen and R.Miller will tell you their finger tips are the whole game).

All that being said, ice hockey seems impossible.

Baseball requires serious athleticism for 2b, SS, 3B and all of the outfield. Don't get it twisted. It even requires great stamina. If you don't believe me, have someone hit you fly balls or grounders for just 10 minutes. In baseball, you have to instantly react to a ball moving more than a 100 MPH. You have no idea in what direction its going and then you have to consider how many outs there are, whos on base, and whats the score. Its silly when people think like you do about baseball.

The Iron Fist
08-10-2011, 11:04 PM
Here is my list of major American sports, based on skill, hardest to easiest.

1. Golf - the entire sport is based on skill. I have friends who are shorter and weaker than me that consistently out-drive me, and out-play me.

2. Baseball - another sport that requires mostly skill. Speed, stamina, and strength are nice, but not required.

3. Hockey - they play on ice. Most people can't even ice skate, let alone play a sport while skating.

4. Basketball - requires a combination of skills using both the hands and feet. I would love to rank bball higher, but the sport is highly reliant on size and athleticism as well. That's why many claim Basketball has the greatest athletes in the World.

5. Football - the positions in football make the sport more specialized. Only the QB position requires as many skills as some of the other sports mentioned.
:roll: You really have no clue as to what you're talking about.

gilalizard
08-11-2011, 12:29 AM

My definition of 'skills' is would you be able to play with a bunch of normal athleticism guys that have played the sport for 10+ years. For example, if you went to the park and there were a bunch of 20-40 year old people there could you play the game without being a huge detriment to the fun.

Results for someone with above average athleticism and coordinator (me)
In order of easiest to hardest (assuming you get to have one day to practice)

1. Baseball.
Catching and throwing. Your singular effect on any single game is usually not that great. I've never once played baseball in any organized way, but when I play with people that do know how to play I don't embarrass myself. I can catch the ball if it easy and i'm fast enough to get a grounder. I have a naturally good arm and can get it close enough to my target. I suck at hitting, and am a detriment there but with a subpar picture I can occasionally get a good whack at the ball.

2. Soccer

3. Football
Football really depends on how properly it is played. You have to at least understand football to play it decently. You have to know where to be and what to do/the rules. This is not necessarily skill, but rather knowledge. If you are playing tackle then the skill is a bit less. You can be huge, fast and strong and dominate as a running back or etc. This gets the nod above the other two because you HAVE to be able to catch the ball, move laterally, move explosively, and gauge distance. If you are wide open and can't catch the ball you are a huge liability. Alternatively, if you keep getting torched on defense you are a huge liability.

4. Basketball
In bball you can be pretty terrible and still be allowed on a court. However, the skills required to be good are very fine tuned. Being a skilled shooter is something purely learned, and not physical (such as catching). Same with dribbling. However, you can be tall and do other things. Alternatively, as long as you can catch and get the ball to someone else it is usually enough. However, the divide between not having skills and having skills is larger than the prior two sports.

5. Hockey
Ice skating is a semi-skill. I could ice skate just fine the first time I ever tried it. Stopping, turning quickly, etc etc is something I'm sure I could pick up if I go another 20+ times. I think the skill to hit a puck while moving is pretty hard though. I think basketball requires more actual skill, but I think for most people skating and using a stick at the same time is a combination of body skill that requires tons and tons of practice. I might be an exception, rather than the rule here.

6. Tennis
As an avid tennis player, I can say with certainty if you don't have the skills you have no chance. The athleticism/etc only comes in to play once you have the skills. Someone fast and strong will be only marginally better than someone slow and weak. Skill definitely trumps all, until you get to the upper echelons.

7. Golf

Golf does indeed require a high level of skill to play at the highest level.

Golf is not a sport though.

If golf is a sport, so is shuffleboard. So is air hockey.

Sarcastic
08-11-2011, 12:38 AM
1 - NFL Quarterback
2 - NHL Goalie
3a - Golfer
3b - MLB Pitcher
3c - Soccer Goalie
4 - NBA Point Guard

That's my list

MLB pitcher takes more skill than all of those. You know how hard it is to throw a strike?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xaIvBd0Q19s
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zzq5hw5KSXU
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_IRQ0RjJ20Q
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wn69Z820P6w

Fiasco
08-11-2011, 02:10 AM
MLB pitcher takes more skill than all of those. You know how hard it is to throw a strike?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xaIvBd0Q19s
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zzq5hw5KSXU
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_IRQ0RjJ20Q
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wn69Z820P6w

I'd be willing to bet I could throw a strike before you could skate backwards.

catch24
08-11-2011, 02:15 AM
Baseball, despite how many of the athletes who do play professionally are out of shape, requires the most skill. It's tough as shit hitting a 90+mph fastball, much less a splitter and/or changeup that comes in almost as quick. Fielding (catching or playing defense) and pitching? Fuhgettaboutit.

I'd say Basketball/Hockey are close seconds, followed by Football.

Sarcastic
08-11-2011, 07:29 AM
I'd be willing to bet I could throw a strike before you could skate backwards.

I grew up ice skating, and played hockey when I was young.

lakers_forever
08-11-2011, 08:55 AM
2. Soccer

No. Just athleticism is not enough to play defense. You would not even touch the football in my local game. Newsflash, the guy you beat can't play football either.

Jesus. NBA bias at its best. Almost all NBA players would suck in soccer. When a guy is too tall, he does not have the motor coordination to play the beautiful game. A guy like Kobe, who has great basketball footwork, looks like a robot playing soccer, with no mobility whatsover.

Soccer takes very little skill? You have never played before and cleary has no idea what what you are talking about.

Sarcastic
08-11-2011, 09:05 AM
I'll say this about hockey compared to basketball too: assuming you know how to skate, it's easier to learn how to control and shoot the puck than it is to learn to dribble and shoot a basketball.

Sarcastic
08-11-2011, 09:29 AM
No. Just athleticism is not enough to play defense. You would not even touch the football in my local game. Newsflash, the guy you beat can't play football either.

Jesus. NBA bias at its best. Almost all NBA players would suck in soccer. When a guy is too tall, he does not have the motor coordination to play the beautiful game. A guy like Kobe, who has great basketball footwork, looks like a robot playing soccer, with no mobility whatsover.

Soccer takes very little skill? You have never played before and cleary has no idea what what you are talking about.

Hakeem Olajuwon played soccer and was supposedly a great goalie.

There's a better chance of Lebron James being able to make it as a soccer player than a short soccer player making it to the NBA.

LA_Showtime
08-11-2011, 09:32 AM
Are we talking about just your average player or a professional?

tpols
08-11-2011, 09:36 AM
There's a better chance of Lebron James being able to make it as a soccer player than a short soccer player making it to the NBA.
I think thats kind of proving the point made by the OP in this thread. The athleticism threshold to make it in the NBA is MUCH higher than in any other sports.. You can be an average sized guy and be in the MLB.. or the NFL[assuming you hit the gym].. or the NHL, but theres no way to boost your height.. so if you're not tall you cant make the NBA. And in addition to being tall, you have to have the coordination and movement/quickness of a guy 6 inches shorter than you.

catch24
08-11-2011, 09:43 AM
I think thats kind of proving the point made by the OP in this thread. The athleticism threshold to make it in the NBA is MUCH higher than in any other sports.. You can be an average sized guy and be in the MLB.. or the NFL[assuming you hit the gym].. or the NHL, but theres no way to boost your height.. so if you're not tall you cant make the NBA. And in addition to being tall, you have to have the coordination and movement/quickness of a guy 6 inches shorter than you.

I thought the OP talking about "skill"?

tpols
08-11-2011, 09:55 AM
I thought the OP talking about "skill"?
In a lot of people's minds athleticism is like the opposite of skill. People who get by on pure athleticism are often looked at as having the 'easy way' to success in whatever theyre playing where as people who get by on skill are often marveled at for their work ethic and dedication. So since a lot of NBA players get by on their height and athleticism alone, the OP looks at that as them being less skilled by their counterparts in other sports. And when you think about it in today's age, it's kind of true. The fundamentals in basketball are being eroded. Look how many guys cant even shoot the ball or make the correct passes. It's all about how hard you can dunk and how good your dribbling looks.. and scouts pick guys almost exclusively on their physical specs instead of their actual games saying they can be 'molded'.

catch24
08-11-2011, 10:02 AM
In a lot of people's minds athleticism is like the opposite of skill. People who get by on pure athleticism are often looked at as having the 'easy way' to success in whatever theyre playing where as people who get by on skill are often marveled at for their work ethic and dedication. So since a lot of NBA players get by on their height and athleticism alone, the OP looks at that as them being less skilled by their counterparts in other sports. And when you think about it in today's age, it's kind of true. The fundamentals in basketball are being eroded. Look how many guys cant even shoot the ball or make the correct passes. It's all about how hard you can dunk and how good your dribbling looks.. and scouts pick guys almost exclusively on their physical specs instead of their actual games saying they can be 'molded'.

I don't disagree with anything you've said. Good stuff. In-terms of skill; however, how would you rank the sports - least to most difficult or vice versa?

lakers_forever
08-11-2011, 10:07 AM

Goalie again... Lebron, even trainning since a little kid, would have no chance to make it as a soccer player (not talking about gk's). First, he would not play in a high level soccer country. Second, he's just too tall. I only know one player over 6'6, Peter Crouch and he looks clumsy as hell (just like Lebron would) and is far from being a great player.

And about the goalie part, Lebron would be the tallest gk in the premier league. While the height is great to defend high shots, the low corner shots would kill him.

tpols
08-11-2011, 10:14 AM
I don't disagree with anything you've said. Good stuff. In-terms of skill; however, how would you rank the sports - least to most difficult or vice versa?
In terms of pure ability to master all of the skills related to one's sport[hardest to easiest]:

Soccer
Basketball
Baseball
Hockey
Football

In my last ranking I had the order different, but in that one I was ranking them based on how important skill is to dominate. Like in soccer for instance, you need to be extremely skilled at juggling the ball, kicking, having great footwork, etc. You need to be skilled to play. In basketball however, youll see 7 footers pulled off the street who have very little skills at all[see hasheem thabeet].. but to master basketball's full range of skills is very hard. You you need great footwork, great coordination to be able to sync your dribbling with your movement, great touch on your shot, the ability to pass anywhere on the court and to make all different types of passes.. shit even things like rebounding can be skillful. Look at how rodman always was able to put himself in position to rebound the ball. Thats a skill. The thing is though most NBA players dont need to master these skills to make it.. so they just get by on their athleticism. That doesn't take away from how hard it is to master the full range of basketball skills though.

catch24
08-11-2011, 10:19 AM
In terms of pure ability to master all of the skills related to one's sport[hardest to easiest]:

Soccer
Basketball
Baseball
Hockey
Football

In my last ranking I had the order different, but in that one I was ranking them based on how important skill is to dominate. Like in soccer for instance, you need to be extremely skilled at juggling the ball, kicking, having great footwork, etc. You need to be skilled to play. In basketball however, youll see 7 footers pulled off the street who have very little skills at all[see hasheem thabeet].. but to master basketball's full range of skills is very hard. You you need great footwork, great coordination to be able to sync your dribbling with your movement, great touch on your shot, the ability to pass anywhere on the court and to make all different types of passes.. shit even things like rebounding can be skillful. Look at how rodman always was able to put himself in position to rebound the ball. Thats a skill. The thing is though most NBA players dont need to master these skills to make it.. so they just get by on their athleticism. That doesn't take away from how hard it is to master the full range of basketball skills though.

Another solid post. Quick question though - and be honest. If an athlete had one off season to pickup a sport, which of the following is he more likely going to excel at? Soccer, Basketball or Baseball? You pick the position(s) you want to enhance your skillset btw.

lakers_forever
08-11-2011, 10:19 AM

All sports are extremely hard to master. I've played with soccer pro's and they made every amateur on the field looking like a 10 year old kid. It's a completely different level. The power on their shots is just crazy.

tpols
08-11-2011, 10:22 AM
All sports are extremely hard to master. I've played with soccer pro's and they made every amateur on the field looking like a 10 year old kid. It's a completely different level. The power on their shots is just crazy.
I ranked soccer as the number one hardest sport to master in terms of skill.

lakers_forever
08-11-2011, 10:26 AM
I ranked soccer as the number one hardest sport to master in terms of skill.

Oops. My bad. But I don't know about being the hardest. All of them are hard as hell to master. It's a difficult comparison.

tpols
08-11-2011, 10:29 AM
Another solid post. Quick question though - and be honest. If an athlete had one off season to pickup a sport, which of the following is he more likely going to excel at? Soccer, Basketball or Baseball? You pick the position(s) you want to enhance your skillset btw.
Assuming the athlete is like 6'1 or 6'2 so he could competitively play a position in basketball, I'd say baseball. I've seen kids who were just HS level soccer players, who could juggle the ball with their feet incredibly.. like keep it going for over 5 minutes. I cant even imagine how good/skilled you'd have to be to be in higher levels. And its very hard to pick up the coordination with your feet for soccer if you never played it when you were young.

And with basketball, have you ever seen a kid play it for the first time at like 16 or 17? They will look so uncoordinated it's not even funny. Their shooting form will look awkward.. they will be looking at the ground when they dribble.. overall it just takes so much practice to master all of the fine details of basketball. And assuming this guy is around the height I listed before, he would have to be a point guard.. meaning he'd have to be even more skilled than your average player to excel.

With baseball, I've never seen an athletic kid not be able to throw the ball or swing a bat. It's a natural thing for us to be able to throw a ball or swing a bat. It's much more foreign to be juggling a ball with your feet, or bouncing a ball on the ground at all different angles around your body while you're moving. Sure it takes a lot of practice to get baseball down but I think you have an easier base to work with.

Sarcastic
08-11-2011, 10:38 AM

I disagree. Being tall is just a secondary condition you need to go along with skill. There are lots of very tall people in the world, and they don't automatically make it to the NBA. It requires amazing skill as well.

If every basketball player ever was tall you may have a point, but Muggsy Bogues and Spudd Webb prove height is not the determining factor for making the NBA.

catch24
08-11-2011, 10:42 AM
Assuming the athlete is like 6'1 or 6'2 so he could competitively play a position in basketball, I'd say baseball. I've seen kids who were just HS level soccer players, who could juggle the ball with their feet incredibly.. like keep it going for over 5 minutes. I cant even imagine how good/skilled you'd have to be to be in higher levels. And its very hard to pick up the coordination with your feet for soccer if you never played it when you were young.

And with basketball, have you ever seen a kid play it for the first time at like 16 or 17? They will look so uncoordinated it's not even funny. Their shooting form will look awkward.. they will be looking at the ground when they dribble.. overall it just takes so much practice to master all of the fine details of basketball. And assuming this guy is around the height I listed before, he would have to be a point guard.. meaning he'd have to be even more skilled than your average player to excel.

With baseball, I've never seen an athletic kid not be able to throw the ball or swing a bat. It's a natural thing for us to be able to throw a ball or swing a bat. It's much more foreign to be juggling a ball with your feet, or bouncing a ball on the ground at all different angles around your body while you're moving. Sure it takes a lot of practice to get baseball down but I think you have an easier base to work with.

Just wanted to hear your idealization of the three sports and what make them difficult. Thanks. You're definitely right about the bold. Shit is too funny :oldlol:. Almost like a fish out of water.

And yeah, an athlete being 6'1" / 6'2" would be ideal for all sports (you could play any position in both baseball and soccer, and at least one in basketball). Swinging (and making contact)/throwing a baseball is probably easiest to pickup, but doing them consistently? I'd take my chances with shooting and dribbling a ball, or juggling/kicking for sure. Baseball at a professional level is still the toughest sport to play, IMO.

tpols
08-11-2011, 10:47 AM
I disagree. Being tall is just a secondary condition you need to go along with skill. There are lots of very tall people in the world, and they don't automatically make it to the NBA. It requires amazing skill as well.

If every basketball player ever was tall you may have a point, but Muggsy Bogues and Spudd Webb prove height is not the determining factor for making the NBA.
Bro.. I'm not saying basketball is not a skillful sport. I actually think it is one of the hardest sports to master. There are just so many different skills to master. But the fact is most NBA players dont need to master those skills because they get by on their athleticism more than anything else. Being tall is a necessary condition to make it in the NBA. You just named the two biggest outliers in the history of the game. Bottom line if you're 6'10 and coordinated[and I dont mean in the basketball way, I just mean you're able to run fast, jump, catch a ball, do some of the basics etc.] you can make the NBA. If you're 6'0 with the same skillset as the 6'10 guy, however, you're not even making a division 2 college squad.

tpols
08-11-2011, 10:49 AM
Baseball at a professional level is still the toughest sport to play, IMO.
it might be.. this is all just my opinion. To me, they are all close. You will have to put in years and years of your life to master any sport's skillset..

catch24
08-11-2011, 10:55 AM
To me, they are all close. You will have to put in years and years of your life to master any sport's skillset..

Absolutely.

z14h
08-11-2011, 10:59 AM
What's with all the posts ordering the sports 1 through 6? Does 1 mean it requires the least skill or the most?

You know what I think? I think they are all kind of hard to pick up, and they all require a different type of skill for a different part of the body, which makes it unreasonable for comparison. How's that?

Fazotronic
08-11-2011, 04:06 PM

yes a soccer GOALIE. your argument makes zero sense. you really think noone of the million soccer players on this planet wouldn't manage to become one of the best nba players for at least one season?
Ever heard of Steve Nash? A 2x mvp (even though he just deserved one).
A short guy that manage to become the best player for 2 seasons.

Hakeem, lebron or any of those big nba superstars would never become one of the best soccer players.
goalie? lol gtfo who cares

Simple Jack
08-11-2011, 05:47 PM
For what it's worth, watching someone try to shoot or play basketball who has never played before looks the most silly to me respective to all the sports mentioned. I think it's a lot easier to throw a baseball/football or kick a soccer ball and not look like a complete retard than to shoot a basketball without looking handicapped.

The Iron Fist
08-11-2011, 06:53 PM
For what it's worth, watching someone try to shoot or play basketball who has never played before looks the most silly to me respective to all the sports mentioned. I think it's a lot easier to throw a baseball/football or kick a soccer ball and not look like a complete retard than to shoot a basketball without looking handicapped.
Here, is a professional athlete, who plays basketball for a living, trying to throw a baseball.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=usyNyn9Ang8

Derka
08-11-2011, 07:07 PM
1. Hockey - a brutal and fast-paced game that requires peak athleticism AND peak skill.

2. Baseball - purely a skill game. Hitting a baseball is still THE hardest thing to do in all of sports.

3. Basketball - in the middle of the pack. A guy can be a great athlete and play basketball, but skill is what separates the pros from everyone else.

4. Football - another brutal game that requires great skill, but it really doesn't require a peak athlete to be successful

5. Soccer - a game for people who can run in bursts non-stop for hours on end; some skill is required but fatigue more than anything can really kill your chances to stay active through all 90+ minutes.

6. Golf - yeah, some skill goes into this but all the golf I've ever played in my life had a great dash of luck tossed into it, more so than any other game I've played.

Either of these activities still requires years of practice and dedication to master in the end. I put them in something resembling a hierarchy, but they actually aren't THAT far apart from each other.

Fazotronic
08-11-2011, 08:02 PM
1. Hockey - a brutal and fast-paced game that requires peak athleticism AND peak skill.

2. Baseball - purely a skill game. Hitting a baseball is still THE hardest thing to do in all of sports.

3. Basketball - in the middle of the pack. A guy can be a great athlete and play basketball, but skill is what separates the pros from everyone else.

4. Football - another brutal game that requires great skill, but it really doesn't require a peak athlete to be successful

5. Soccer - a game for people who can run in bursts non-stop for hours on end; some skill is required but fatigue more than anything can really kill your chances to stay active through all 90+ minutes.

6. Golf - yeah, some skill goes into this but all the golf I've ever played in my life had a great dash of luck tossed into it, more so than any other game I've played.

Either of these activities still requires years of practice and dedication to master in the end. I put them in something resembling a hierarchy, but they actually aren't THAT far apart from each other.

http://savingtheskyhook.com/files/2011/06/miami-heat-facepalm.jpg

Phong
08-11-2011, 08:20 PM

There's a better chance of Lebron James being able to make it as a soccer player than a short soccer player making it to the NBA.I agree. LeBron has the skills to make a great goalie.

http://nsa28.casimages.com/img/2011/08/12/110812022459610861.gif http://nsa28.casimages.com/img/2011/08/12/110812022740972890.gif

purplch0de
08-11-2011, 08:22 PM
golf and it's not even close.. :oldlol:

You obviously have never played golf

And soccer? L. Kizzle is a dumbass Soccer is way more difficult than basketball. I will go with baseball, hitting a ball requires hand eye coordination but so does a proper release in basketball.

The Iron Fist
08-11-2011, 08:30 PM

Hitting, is just one aspect of the game. Defense has to be played too.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5XH0A-fT7Zw&feature=related
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iVSFDJ9ABJc

Stuckey
08-11-2011, 08:41 PM
what so hard about being an NFL linebacker except being big and strong?

Pinkhearts
08-11-2011, 08:52 PM
Yes, all those are sports too. Just because they don't require you to run around as much doesn't mean they aren't sports.

Obviously chess is the sport that requires the most skill. There can be no debate about this.

Dizzle-2k7
08-11-2011, 08:54 PM
Professionally.. MAYBE

No other sport has as many bums and busts as the NBA. Thats for damn sure. Hell, there was a point in the late 90s early 2000s where half the league were bums that happened to win the genetic lottery of being 6'6+

28renyoy
08-11-2011, 08:57 PM
anyone acting like golf is not the most skilled is a straight up fool. it takes 5 years of playing daily to become a scratch golfer on a regular course and that's if you're lucky. on a pga course? hell i'm a scratch golfer and i would be lucky to break 80 on a good day

tpols
08-11-2011, 09:10 PM
anyone acting like golf is not the most skilled is a straight up fool. it takes 5 years of playing daily to become a scratch golfer on a regular course and that's if you're lucky. on a pga course? hell i'm a scratch golfer and i would be lucky to break 80 on a good day
Golf is a pure skill 'sport' though.. it isn't like basketball, or football, or hockey, or baseball.. There is no running, no jumping, no battling for position. It's just.. how accurate you are with your swing. It's like me running in here and claiming billiards takes more skill than basketball. No shit.. because it is an activity that isn't dependant on your body type.. just how much you play it and develop your game.

28renyoy
08-11-2011, 09:24 PM
Golf is a pure skill 'sport' though.. it isn't like basketball, or football, or hockey, or baseball.. There is no running, no jumping, no battling for position. It's just.. how accurate you are with your swing. It's like me running in here and claiming billiards takes more skill than basketball. No shit.. because it is an activity that isn't dependant on your body type.. just how much you play it and develop your game.

Strength/Athleticism does play a part in golf. You take 2 players of equal skill and the decided factor will be distance, which is an accumulation of several things.

tpols
08-11-2011, 09:36 PM
Strength/Athleticism does play a part in golf. You take 2 players of equal skill and the decided factor will be distance, which is an accumulation of several things.
It plays a part.. that pales in comparison to all of the other sports you mentioned.

Loneshot
08-11-2011, 09:37 PM
As a terrible ball handler, i'd say that basketball requires a lot of skill.

Heavincent
08-11-2011, 09:39 PM
Football requires the most skill. It's the best sport by far too.

ballerz
08-11-2011, 10:37 PM
Golf requires the most skill.

bdreason
08-11-2011, 10:46 PM
:roll: You really have no clue as to what you're talking about.

In relative terms, Baseball has the least physical requirements, besides golf of course. You don't HAVE TO have incredible speed. You don't HAVE TO have incredible strength. You don't HAVE TO have even marginal stamina.

D.J.
08-11-2011, 10:49 PM
Basketball requires the least amount of coordination of the 6, but they're all difficult to master. In basketball, if you have a respectable amount of athleticism and coordination, you can have a solid career. Football is harder because you need to be able to stop on a dime, be agile, be freakishly strong, and know how to avoid tackles. Going from least amount of skill to highest, this is how I would rank them:

Basketball- the only sport where you can get by sheer athleticism alone
Baseball- the hardest part is batting, but fielding doesn't require as much coordination unless you're an infielder
Football- you need to be athletic, fast, agile, strong, and able to take hits. Wideouts are by far the most skillful and coordinated
Golf- very difficult considering you have to play against the wind and you have to know which clubs to use
Soccer- easily the most physically draining of the 6. You have to be in fantastic shape, fast on your feet, extremely coordinated, and be able to take the physicality
Hockey- the only reason I rank this as harder than soccer because you have to do everything soccer players do while on skates. You have to be fast, agile, able to skate backwards, skate while controlling the puck, watch for hits, take hits, bat pucks out of thin air with a fairly thin blade, and block 100 MPH shots.

tpols
08-11-2011, 10:53 PM
In relative terms, Baseball has the least physical requirements, besides golf of course. You don't HAVE TO have incredible speed. You don't HAVE TO have incredible strength. You don't HAVE TO have even marginal stamina.
Wait.. weren't some of the best hitters of the past couple generations all on juice? Is that just some huge coincidence that the strongest guys all happened to be the best?

D.J.
08-11-2011, 10:54 PM
Wait.. weren't some of the best hitters of the past couple generations all on juice? Is that just some huge coincidence that the strongest guys all happened to be the best?

Home run hitters aren't necessarily the best. McGwire was cracking 65-70 home runs, but he was known throughout his career for having a low average, striking out a lot, and being an average fielder at best.

Heavincent
08-11-2011, 11:05 PM

But they were also going against juiced up pitchers, so it evens out.

Anyway, Outside Linebackers are probably some of the best athletes on the planet. Fast, strong, agile, and ****ing huge.

tpols
08-11-2011, 11:07 PM
Basketball requires the least amount of coordination of the 6, but they're all difficult to master. In basketball, if you have a respectable amount of athleticism and coordination, you can have a solid career. Football is harder because you need to be able to stop on a dime, be agile, be freakishly strong, and know how to avoid tackles. Going from least amount of skill to highest, this is how I would rank them:

How does basketball have the least amount of coordination? You have to be able to dribble a ball while moving, shoot a ball, pass a ball etc. All of those things require major coordination.. both hand eye and in general. It's much easier for an athlete to pick up football than it is for them to learn how to perform all of basketball's skills from scratch. I mean seriously.. what do you need to learn for football? How to run? How to jump? How to catch a ball? The basics are very easy to pick up. Go watch a guy try to play basketball for the first time in his life.. he will look mentally handicapped.

And all of the things for football you listed are true for basketball players too. You need to be able to stop on a dime and be agile too. Have you ever heard of cutting? Where you literally run one way, stop on a dime, and run the other way to get open? Players actually do it MORE in basketball than they do in football since the only players that cut in football are WRs and EVERYONE in basketball has to cut and move without the ball. And being strong, fast etc. aren't skilled based things.. they are athleticism.

The problem is you are looking at the guys who only got by on their height alone. Look at a guy like Chris Paul. Dude is 6'0, a buck 80, and he is one of the best basketball players of this generation. How? He's got near perfect coordination. He's a dead eye shooter, a precision passer, a masterful dribbler, and he can sync all of these abilities together with flawless decision making. Pure skill. Basketball players can get by on athleticism alone but that doesn't diminish how hard it is for the ones who dont that master all of it's finer points.

D.J.
08-11-2011, 11:11 PM
How does basketball have the least amount of coordination? You have to be able to dribble a ball while moving, shoot a ball, pass a ball etc. All of those things require major coordination.. both hand eye and in general. It's much easier for an athlete to pick up football than it is for them to learn how to perform all of basketball's skills from scratch. I mean seriously.. what do you need to learn for football? How to run? How to jump? How to catch a ball? The basics are very easy to pick up. Go watch a guy try to play basketball for the first time in his life.. he will look mentally handicapped.

And all of the things for football you listed are true for basketball players too. You need to be able to stop on a dime and be agile too. Have you ever heard of cutting? Where you literally run one way, stop on a dime, and run the other way to get open? Players actually do it MORE in basketball than they do in football since the only players that cut in football are WRs and EVERYONE in basketball has to cut and move without the ball. And being strong, fast etc. aren't skilled based things.. they are athleticism.

The problem is you are looking at the guys who only got by on their height alone. Look at a guy like Chris Paul. Dude is 6'0, a buck 80, and he is one of the best basketball players of this generation. How? He's got near perfect coordination. He's a dead eye shooter, a precision passer, a masterful dribbler, and he can sync all of these abilities together with flawless decision making. Pure skill. Basketball players can get by on athleticism alone but that doesn't diminish how hard it is for the ones who dont that master all of it's finer points.

Because basketball is the only sport where you can get by on athleticism alone. Not every player is that skilled and coordinated. Freakish athleticism can get by. Look at Ben Wallace, Shaq, Rodman, Jamario Moon, Charles Oakley. Not every freakishly athletic or strong player will be an all-time great, but you can get by. No other sport has that luxury.

tpols
08-11-2011, 11:13 PM
Oh and another thing I just remembered.. You know how when you see a below average NBA player like, Joel Anthony, for example playing in an NBA game and you think damn how is it that this guy sucks so bad? He cant shoot, dribble, pass etc. you have to remember he's going up against the best basketball competition in the world. I guarantee you even the worst, most awkward looking NBA players would run circles around any of us in shooting, dribbling, and passing drills. You put Joel on the post against anyone here and he looks like Hakeem Olajuwan.. these guys do have more skill thanthey show.

D.J.
08-11-2011, 11:17 PM
Oh and another thing I just remembered.. You know how when you see a below average NBA player like, Joel Anthony, for example playing in an NBA game and you think damn how is it that this guy sucks so bad? He cant shoot, dribble, pass etc. you have to remember he's going up against the best basketball competition in the world. I guarantee you even the worst, most awkward looking NBA players would run circles around any of us in shooting, dribbling, and passing drills. You put Joel on the post against anyone here and he looks like Hakeem Olajuwan.. these guys do have more skill thanthey show.

Compared to us, of course. But we're not professional athletes. Point is you don't need to be terribly skilled in basketball. It's also the easiest to pick up.

tpols
08-11-2011, 11:18 PM
Because basketball is the only sport where you can get by on athleticism alone. Not every player is that skilled and coordinated. Freakish athleticism can get by. Look at Ben Wallace, Shaq, Rodman, Jamario Moon, Charles Oakley. Not every freakishly athletic or strong player will be an all-time great, but you can get by. No other sport has that luxury.
No.. First off, RBs, WRs, offensive linemen, defensive linemen, TEs, CBs.. pretty much every position other than QB can get by on pure athleticism alone. The most skillful thing any of these guys do is catch a ball.. which is laughable compared to the skills needed for basketball.

I can point to Randy Moss, or Bo Jackson, or Ray Lewis.. the list goes on and on. There are SO many football players that got by on their incredible combinations of speed and strength that its not even funny.

And Shaq didnt get by on athleticism alone.. he was one of the most skilled centers of all time at his size. Great foot work, assemblage of post moves, touch on his shots etc.

tpols
08-11-2011, 11:19 PM
It's also the easiest to pick up.
You're a moron.:oldlol:

D.J.
08-11-2011, 11:21 PM
No.. First off, RBs, WRs, offensive linemen, defensive linemen, TEs, CBs.. pretty much every position other than QB can get by on pure athleticism alone. The most skillful thing any of these guys do is catch a ball.. which is laughable compared to the skills needed for basketball.

I can point to Randy Moss, or Bo Jackson, or Ray Lewis.. the list goes on and on. There are SO many football players that got by on their incredible combinations of speed and strength that its not even funny.

And Shaq didnt get by on athleticism alone.. he was one of the most skilled centers of all time at his size. Great foot work, assemblage of post moves, touch on his shots etc.

Football is 10x more physically demanding than basketball. That qualifies as a skill.

And Shaq got by more because of his size, not his skills. He didn't have many moves or a sweet touch. Someone like Hakeem or Admiral had post moves and a sweet touch.

D.J.
08-11-2011, 11:22 PM
You're a moron.:oldlol:

Tell me a sport that's easier to pick up than basketball.

The-Legend-24
08-11-2011, 11:24 PM
Why is golf in this, how is that a sport? 80 year old men can play it. :oldlol:

Baseball, all you do is stand around and wait to catch a ball, "Holy shit that's fvcking hard". :oldlol: Hitting a baseball i'll admit is hard though.

I'll say baseball and football ( Throwball lol ). How hard is it to tackle somebody? c'mon. lol

Basketball and Soccer ( real football ) take the most skill, and yeah i've played both.

The Iron Fist
08-11-2011, 11:25 PM

No sport other than racing sports require incredible speed. No sports other than weightlifting require incredible strength. But to say speed and strength aren't necessary in baseball, is just outright stupid. To go on and say you don't even have to have even marginal stamina is the most ridiculous thing said in this thread.

I can tell that the only baseball you've ever played, was on PS2.

tpols
08-11-2011, 11:27 PM
Football is 10x more physically demanding than basketball. That qualifies as a skill.
Wait.. so for basketball, too many guys get by on their size and athleticism alone, but when they do the same in football it somehow qualifies as a skill. :oldlol: Bro you make no sense.

Shaq being a 300lb monster who could run and jump is just 'lucky' for his athleticism while Randy Moss who was a state champion sprinter in his first year ever doing track was 'skilled' for possesing that ability.

Im not replying to you in this thread again so dont even bother responding.

The Iron Fist
08-11-2011, 11:30 PM

Baseball, all you do is stand around and wait to catch a ball, "Holy shit that's fvcking hard". :oldlol: Hitting a baseball i'll admit is hard though.

I'll say baseball and football ( Throwball lol ). How hard is it to tackle somebody? c'mon. lol

Basketball and Soccer ( real football ) take the most skill, amd yeah i've played both.

You really have no clue how easy the pros make it look, especially outfielders. lol "stand around". Baseball players have to go from 0 to 60 in an instant to make the correct play. Also, they have to make a decision on what angle to take, all in a matter of less than a second, then they have to make a play based on the situation at hand. Sure, they may stand around between pitches but it doesn't mean thats all they're doing for the entire game.

D.J.
08-11-2011, 11:31 PM
Wait.. so for basketball, too many guys get by on their size and athleticism alone, but when they do the same in football it somehow qualifies as a skill. :oldlol: Bro you make no sense.

Shaq being a 300lb monster who could run and jump is just 'lucky' for his athleticism while Randy Moss who was a state champion sprinter in his first year ever doing track was 'skilled' for possesing that ability.

Im not replying to you in this thread again so dont even bother responding.

It doesn't take a ton of skills to outmuscle someone or dive for loose balls. Charles Oakley made a living doing that. There's no such thing as that in football.

Randy Moss has to fend off defenders, be extremely fast and agile, all while trying to catch a football.

I played basketball, baseball, and football growing up. You're not replying to me anymore? Good, GTFO because you don't know what the f*ck you're talking about.

D.J.
08-11-2011, 11:32 PM
You really have no clue how easy the pros make it look, especially outfielders. lol "stand around". Baseball players have to go from 0 to 60 in an instant to make the correct play. Also, they have to make a decision on what angle to take, all in a matter of less than a second, then they have to make a play based on the situation at hand. Sure, they may stand around between pitches but it doesn't mean thats all they're doing for the entire game.

Outfielders have it a bit easier than infiedlers, but it is hard. Picture being an infielder and A-Rod hits a 120 MPH line drive to you.

purplch0de
08-11-2011, 11:35 PM

Basketball and Soccer ( real football ) take the most skill, and yeah i've played both.

You're a dumbass if you think 80 year olds playing it means its not a sport or difficult... have you ever tried it? It's like what some said, pure skill.

gilalizard
08-11-2011, 11:44 PM

Football is more physically PUNISHING than basketball. It is not more physically demanding.

That is: Football absolutely takes more out of you physically in pure damage and attrition. Football directly damages an athlete's body more than basketball does.

But, both sports absolutely favor and reward those with superior physical gifts and training.

D.J.
08-11-2011, 11:46 PM
Football is more physically PUNISHING than basketball. It is not more physically demanding.

You've never seen the practices high school and college kids go through. 2 a days are pretty common. Some coaches will do 3 a days if he's not happy with the results.

D.J.
08-11-2011, 11:50 PM
That is: Football absolutely takes more out of you physically in pure damage and attrition. Football directly damages an athlete's body more than basketball does.

Don't disagree with this. That's the nature of the game though.

But, both sports absolutely favor and reward those with superior physical gifts and training.

Don't disagree either, but it's more rewarding in basketball. Someone like Ben Wallace or Dennis Rodman can still have a HOF career as long as they can outmuscle the opposition in the post and grab boards.

Someone like James White can crack an NBA roster and maybe have a decent career with a minimal amount of fundamentals, but if he's a football player, his athleticism won't matter if he has butterfingers for hands or can't take a hit.

gilalizard
08-11-2011, 11:51 PM
You've never seen the practices high school and college kids go through. 2 a days are pretty common. Some coaches will do 3 a days if he's not happy with the results.

That's coaching philosophy. A coach in any sport can demand multiple practices and workouts a day.

Heavincent
08-11-2011, 11:54 PM

Football 2-a-days was probably one of worst experiences (physically) of my life. Sucks so ****ing bad. I was in decent shape too. I worked out all summer.

D.J.
08-11-2011, 11:55 PM
That's coaching philosophy. A coach in any sport can demand multiple practices and workouts a day.

It's more physically demanding and draining for a football player. A basketball player is playing indoors. Football players are often in 90+ degree heat trying to achieve the same goal.

c3z4r
08-12-2011, 12:01 AM
No sport other than racing sports require incredible speed. No sports other than weightlifting require incredible strength. But to say speed and strength aren't necessary in baseball, is just outright stupid. To go on and say you don't even have to have even marginal stamina is the most ridiculous thing said in this thread.

I can tell that the only baseball you've ever played, was on PS2.

Dont get me wrong, I'm not a fan of baseball, nor do I watch it, but when i see players like big papi ortiz and cc sabathia, whom in my opinion seem so fat and outta shape being superstars in baseball, it truly makes me question the amount of stamina and speed you need to play baseball and also how in shape you really need to be.

D.J.
08-12-2011, 12:01 AM
Dont get me wrong, I'm not a fan of baseball, nor do I watch it, but when i see players like big papi ortiz and cc sabathia, whom in my opinion seem so fat and outta shape being superstars in baseball, it truly makes me question the amount of stamina and speed you need to play baseball and also how in shape you really need to be.

Don't forget Mo Vaughn.

Sarcastic
08-12-2011, 12:39 AM

Basketball- the only sport where you can get by sheer athleticism alone
Baseball- the hardest part is batting, but fielding doesn't require as much coordination unless you're an infielder
Football- you need to be athletic, fast, agile, strong, and able to take hits. Wideouts are by far the most skillful and coordinated
Golf- very difficult considering you have to play against the wind and you have to know which clubs to use
Soccer- easily the most physically draining of the 6. You have to be in fantastic shape, fast on your feet, extremely coordinated, and be able to take the physicality
Hockey- the only reason I rank this as harder than soccer because you have to do everything soccer players do while on skates. You have to be fast, agile, able to skate backwards, skate while controlling the puck, watch for hits, take hits, bat pucks out of thin air with a fairly thin blade, and block 100 MPH shots.

Congratulations.

You win the award for dumbest comment in the thread. :applause: :bowdown:

Simple Jack
08-12-2011, 11:26 AM
Golf isn't a sport. It's a game.

IMO, a sport should have a rigid defense/offense where your opponents actions directly affect yours.

GatorKid117
08-12-2011, 12:00 PM
Its hard to gauge this question accurately because in each sport there are so many different types of skills utilized. Football, basketball, baseball, soccer all require different skill sets for the different positions involved in each game. Some positions require more skill while others more athleticism. With that said, I would probably have to say basketball if I had to pick one. The only reason I say this is because of the Center position. A majority of these NBA players can't dribble, can't shoot and yet, are among the best in the world. The greatest skill they possess, if you call it that, is being tall. Sure there are instances like this in every sport but usually these players aren't starting on their teams. You can't tell me the Collin Twins, Ronny Turiaf, Robin Lopez etc are some of the most skillful athletes in the sport. They just aren't.

With that said, I think hitting a baseball is the hardest thing in sports. I mean, the best hitters in the game fail 70% of the time. Thats quite amazing. Next I would probably have to say putting. Then probably tennis groundstrokes.

I don't consider golf a sport though so I say tennis is the hardest to master :D

iamgine
08-12-2011, 12:28 PM
Its hard to gauge this question accurately because in each sport there are so many different types of skills utilized. Football, basketball, baseball, soccer all require different skill sets for the different positions involved in each game. Some positions require more skill while others more athleticism. With that said, I would probably have to say basketball if I had to pick one. The only reason I say this is because of the Center position. A majority of these NBA players can't dribble, can't shoot and yet, are among the best in the world. The greatest skill they possess, if you call it that, is being tall. Sure there are instances like this in every sport but usually these players aren't starting on their teams. You can't tell me the Collin Twins, Ronny Turiaf, Robin Lopez etc are some of the most skillful athletes in the sport. They just aren't.

With that said, I think hitting a baseball is the hardest thing in sports. I mean, the best hitters in the game fail 70% of the time. Thats quite amazing. Next I would probably have to say putting. Then probably tennis groundstrokes.

I don't consider golf a sport though so I say tennis is the hardest to master :D
That kind of depends on who's throwing it.

Plat
08-12-2011, 12:35 PM
:oldlol: @ people saying either golf or baseball

SunsCaptain
08-12-2011, 12:37 PM
Least amount of skill to most

1. Baseball
2. Football
3. Soccer
4. Basketball
5. Golf

I wouldn't know where to put hockey being as I haven't played the sport and it doesn't look incredibly difficult on TV. The only thing I can say looks hard is being on skates other than that i have no idea how easy the game itself would be to pick up.

Yes... Baseball is a joke. I played Baseball year round through my teens. I mainly enjoyed it because of my friends other than that it is a very dull and boring sport that is very very very easy and obviously not hard to master unless you are mentally challenged. Might as well let all the players smoke tobacco instead of chew... Its not like they need their lungs to play baseball.

Jon_Koncak
08-12-2011, 12:54 PM
With that said, I would probably have to say basketball if I had to pick one. The only reason I say this is because of the Center position. A majority of these NBA players can't dribble, can't shoot and yet, are among the best in the world. The greatest skill they possess, if you call it that, is being tall. Sure there are instances like this in every sport but usually these players aren't starting on their teams. You can't tell me the Collin Twins, Ronny Turiaf, Robin Lopez etc are some of the most skillful athletes in the sport. They just aren't.

why are you focusing on Turiafs and Collins twins and not on Chamberlain,Hakeem,Sabonis,Yao,Walton,Robinson,Sha q etc..?Those were some of the most skilled and graceful athletes in history,now tell me some skilled linebackers.

Tide
08-12-2011, 12:57 PM
It is football by far.

This aside from from the quarterback position if you're strong and fast you can play.

SunsCaptain
08-12-2011, 12:59 PM
why are you focusing on Turiafs and Collins twins and not on Chamberlain,Hakeem,Sabonis,Yao,Walton,Robinson,Sha q etc..?Those were some of the most skilled and graceful athletes in history,now tell me some skilled linebackers.

Lol yeah and that kid you quoted also mentioned Robin Lopez? roflllllllll

Robin lopez is just a terrible bench player. Guy doesn't even know basketball....

Heres Shaq with some moves lol

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YBOyRGHkPL0&feature=related

GatorKid117
08-12-2011, 01:15 PM

Because in a discussion like this where there is no clear answer and you could argue for any sport, you have to nitpick. I do not disagree that those you mentioned are some of the most skilled athletes of their time. But looking at the Center position as a whole, athletes like I mentioned, who are supposed to be the best in the world at their positions, possess hardly any "skill" at all other than being tall. Again, I am nitpicking and am fine if you disagree. Thats just how I came to my conclusion. Football would probably be next if its any consolation.

Anyway, you want skilled linebackers, off the top of my head: Derrick Brooks, Ray Lewis, James Harrison, Lawrence Timmons, Brian Urlacher, Jon Beason, Patrick Willis Cameron Wake and so on and so on.

Plat
08-12-2011, 01:17 PM

Really?

Pro/college running backs don't just get the ball and run like a maniac, if they did they'll just run straight into a wall and rush for zero yards, they need to have vision to see the lanes opening which is acquired through experience which therefore becomes a skill. They would also need to learn to have patience and timing to "hit the hole" once it opens up for them and can't be to quick to try to make something happen. This all requires a lot of coordination trying to look for openings/gain yards all while trying to avoid getting put on your ass and not fumbling the ball.

Wide receivers are some of the most skilled athletes in all of sports, they have amazing coordination and focus trying to fend of a defender (sometimes two) all while trying to catch a ball. These guys need to absolutely have good hands, need to be at least somewhat decent in route running, and looking for soft spots in the defense. When they do get open and catch the ball they need to be able to run and gain yards after the catch and avoid getting absolutely destroyed by a big hit. These are all skills that are acquired through hours upon hours of doing it and practicing their craft.

Linebackers have some skill too, inside linebackers need to have play recognition because they are basically the QB of the defense otherwise not recognizing the offensive scheme/play will lead to giving up a ton of yards and points. Linebackers absolutely need to be the best at tackling, if you think tackling is pretty easy just try to watch some Arena football/CFL or some college football and you will see what I mean by "poor tackling".

I think a lot of people say football is because a lot of the skills involved in the sport are more specialized, the players get trained to do only a couple of things but do those things very efficiently and very well, that is why you have so many positions in football.

tomtucker
08-12-2011, 01:23 PM
I would say football...............also, you can be dumb as a door and still get an NFL contract.................just look at all the shootings, robbings, dog fights, girl trouble.....and tons of other shit.......football players = not much skill and dumb as fukk

Plat
08-12-2011, 01:25 PM
I would say football...............also, you can be dumb as a door and still get an NFL contract.................just look at all the shootings, robbings, dog fights, girl trouble.....and tons of other shit.......football players = not much skill and dumb as fukk

:roll: :roll:

I love this site

SunsCaptain
08-12-2011, 01:41 PM
Because in a discussion like this where there is no clear answer and you could argue for any sport, you have to nitpick. I do not disagree that those you mentioned are some of the most skilled athletes of their time. But looking at the Center position as a whole, athletes like I mentioned, who are supposed to be the best in the world at their positions, possess hardly any "skill" at all other than being tall. Again, I am nitpicking and am fine if you disagree. Thats just how I came to my conclusion. Football would probably be next if its any consolation.

Anyway, you want skilled linebackers, off the top of my head: Derrick Brooks, Ray Lewis, James Harrison, Lawrence Timmons, Brian Urlacher, Jon Beason, Patrick Willis Cameron Wake and so on and so on.

Ok well centers are more skilled than fat 400 pound linemen... And there are more linemen on the field than any other position.

Centers are skilled... Stop calling Robin Lopez "the best" when he is one of the worst.

You are complaining that there are tall athletic skilled guys that play center in the NBA. Where as in Football there is 400 pound guys that just run into each other. Soccer is like basketball except with less skill and more athleticism. Baseball is just a joke.... Golf is the most skilled. Basketball second most skilled.

blablabla
08-12-2011, 01:46 PM
i think that golf requires the most amount of skill
i am not very familiar with baseball but from what i have seen being a great athlete isn't as important as in other sports
i think that hockey is a sport that is hard to pick up because you need to know how to skate and you need to have some coordination while skating
basketball is also a sport where need coordination and skill everyone that plays basketball first of all needs to be familiar with the fundamentals how do you shoot a basketball how do you pass dribble and so on
someone that a 7footer with world class athleticism that has never picked up a basketball before would be the best player in the local gym
i don't think that's true because the only thing he could do is dunk and be a average rebounder
because in basketball even for rebounding you need a lot of skill
you need to know how a basketball bounces of the rim, how do you box out you
need to know the rules(over the back foul !)
soccer is also a sports where you need a lot of skill
most guys who start playing soccer in their teens need at least half a year or year to know how to dribble or shoot a ball correctly
football for me is a sport where you don't need to be super skilled on some positions a running back for example just needs to take the ball and run as fast he can while trying not to get stopped by the defenders

GatorKid117
08-12-2011, 02:07 PM
Ok well centers are more skilled than fat 400 pound linemen... And there are more linemen on the field than any other position.

Centers are skilled... Stop calling Robin Lopez "the best" when he is one of the worst.

You are complaining that there are tall athletic skilled guys that play center in the NBA. Where as in Football there is 400 pound guys that just run into each other. Soccer is like basketball except with less skill and more athleticism. Baseball is just a joke.... Golf is the most skilled. Basketball second most skilled.

Name me one 400 pound player in the NFL. NFL lineman are much closer to 300 pounds than 400. You're exaggerating greatly.

Robin Lopez being "the best" was referring to the fact that he was good enough to make it in the NBA and start. Obviously he is awful compared to other NBA players but despite the fact the man is a bumbling fool, he made it in the NBA. This argument isn't even about him, he was just a name that came to the top of my head. Would you prefer Shawn Bradley? Sam Dalembert? Kwame Brown? Whatever.

It is clear from your post you have never watched or don't understand football at all if all you think lineman do is run into each other. The footwork, balance, hand motions and agility needed to become great are all needed. Being a lineman is certainly more than just running into people.

SunsCaptain
08-12-2011, 02:16 PM
Name me one 400 pound player in the NFL. NFL lineman are much closer to 300 pounds than 400. You're exaggerating greatly.

Robin Lopez being "the best" was referring to the fact that he was good enough to make it in the NBA and start. Obviously he is awful compared to other NBA players but despite the fact the man is a bumbling fool, he made it in the NBA. This argument isn't even about him, he was just a name that came to the top of my head. Would you prefer Shawn Bradley? Sam Dalembert? Kwame Brown? Whatever.

It is clear from your post you have never watched or don't understand football at all if all you think lineman do is run into each other. The footwork, balance, hand motions and agility needed to become great are all needed. Being a lineman is certainly more than just running into people.

Nope linemen are overweight fatties with the least amount of skill required for a position in any sport.

You lose.

:violin:

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/193187-are-nfl-linemen-too-big-for-their-own-good

GatorKid117
08-12-2011, 02:21 PM
Nope linemen are overweight fatties with the least amount of skill required for a position in any sport.

You lose.

:violin:

The sweet taste of surrender. Let me get that for you

http://images.wikia.com/southpark/images/e/e9/ScottTenormanMustDie30.gif

SunsCaptain
08-12-2011, 02:27 PM
Whats sad is you support their poor health, athleticism, and skill. You must be fat yourself and have sympathy for fatties =/ I on the other hand don't think fat people should be allowed to play in sports. They are not qualified and prove it on the daily.

Nice job copying my post btw realll original there.... But I can not be beat.

GatorKid117
08-12-2011, 02:37 PM
Whats sad is you support their poor health, athleticism, and skill. You must be fat yourself and have sympathy for fatties =/ I on the other hand don't think fat people should be allowed to play in sports. They are not qualified and prove it on the daily.

Nice job copying my post btw realll original there.... But I can not be beat.

SunsCaptain
08-12-2011, 02:42 PM
Alright I can see I am dealing with an immature kid now. Well most likely an adolescent teenager since he is obsessed with southpark... GG internet :facepalm

SpanishACB
08-12-2011, 02:45 PM
Football and Soccer take very little skill. Soccer takes more time and football more athletic ability, but both are mostly physical/conditioning based games. .

Don't be shy, tell us all about how you've never ever seen a soccer game in your life, or at least, none outside the MLS. :banghead:

I could recommend you to watch indoor soccer, 5 a side, which is where you start from in Spain as a kid in order to obtain the close control and technique required to dribble with a football, but I think I'd get a better effect if I told you to read up on some of Kobe's views on soccer (google for Kobe Bryant Barcelona or whatever), because that's probably something closer to your understanding.

I mean how can you call soccer a sport primarly about athletism, you know how athletic Xavi and Iniesta are? Because... you know who they are, right?

Unless you actually wanna educate yourself, in which case, start here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=88pZWlcEbr4&feature=fvwrel and then have the guts to come back and tell us all about how soccer is about athletism

LJJ
08-12-2011, 03:18 PM
Don't be shy, tell us all about how you've never ever seen a soccer game in your life, or at least, none outside the MLS. :banghead:

I could recommend you to watch indoor soccer, 5 a side, which is where you start from in Spain as a kid in order to obtain the close control and technique required to dribble with a football, but I think I'd get a better effect if I told you to read up on some of Kobe's views on soccer (google for Kobe Bryant Barcelona or whatever), because that's probably something closer to your understanding.

I mean how can you call soccer a sport primarly about athletism, you know how athletic Xavi and Iniesta are? Because... you know who they are, right?

Unless you actually wanna educate yourself, in which case, start here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=88pZWlcEbr4&feature=fvwrel and then have the guts to come back and tell us all about how soccer is about athletism

Yup. Not many things better than a VdV compilation to prove this. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LWB4n08iBTY

The man is short, stocky, perpetually out of shape, almost never 100% healthy, always one of the slowest players on the field and has no athletic ability to speak of. But still an elite pro.

But an underrated aspect is intelligence. In soccer or basketball you can compensate for lack of skill or lack of athleticism a lot by having a great and quick understanding of the game. When you are always one step ahead of everyone else from a mental aspect, you don't need to be as fast. In sports such as baseball and golf this is not a factor at all.

Eric Cartman
08-12-2011, 03:26 PM

The good times....

tpols
08-12-2011, 04:03 PM
Really?

Pro/college running backs don't just get the ball and run like a maniac, if they did they'll just run straight into a wall and rush for zero yards, they need to have vision to see the lanes opening which is acquired through experience which therefore becomes a skill. They would also need to learn to have patience and timing to "hit the hole" once it opens up for them and can't be to quick to try to make something happen. This all requires a lot of coordination trying to look for openings/gain yards all while trying to avoid getting put on your ass and not fumbling the ball.

Being able to read defenses and react is a skill that EVERY sport requires of its players. Basketball players have to look for holes and ga[ps to penetrate through too. Those aren't skills specific to just football.. every sport has some type of intelligence/decision making component to it.

Wide receivers are some of the most skilled athletes in all of sports, they have amazing coordination and focus trying to fend of a defender (sometimes two) all while trying to catch a ball. These guys need to absolutely have good hands, need to be at least somewhat decent in route running, and looking for soft spots in the defense.

And basketball players have to be able to run, jump and contort their bodies as they drive to the rim to avoid on coming 6'8+ 230lb+ defenders coming at them. Basketball players also need amazing hands.. to dribble, pass, shoot, catch etc. Everything a WR does with his hands, a perimeter player in the NBA does ten fold more.

Linebackers have some skill too, inside linebackers need to have play recognition because they are basically the QB of the defense otherwise not recognizing the offensive scheme/play will lead to giving up a ton of yards and points. Linebackers absolutely need to be the best at tackling, if you think tackling is pretty easy just try to watch some Arena football/CFL or some college football and you will see what I mean by "poor tackling".

Again, every sport has decision making parts to it that you could term a 'skill'. Tackling is a skill specific to football though.. I'll give you that for sure. Doesn't take away the fact that speed and strength are king for LBs.

CarolinaBlue704
08-12-2011, 06:06 PM
Least amount of skill to most

1. Baseball
2. Football
3. Soccer
4. Basketball
5. Golf

I wouldn't know where to put hockey being as I haven't played the sport and it doesn't look incredibly difficult on TV. The only thing I can say looks hard is being on skates other than that i have no idea how easy the game itself would be to pick up.

Yes... Baseball is a joke. I played Baseball year round through my teens. I mainly enjoyed it because of my friends other than that it is a very dull and boring sport that is very very very easy and obviously not hard to master unless you are mentally challenged. Might as well let all the players smoke tobacco instead of chew... Its not like they need their lungs to play baseball.

You sir, are full of sh1t. The best hitters in the game fail to get a base hit 70% of the time. And playing defense isn't a cakewalk. I would love to see you play shortstop or centerfield (or any position for that matter) at a high level. You would make a fool of yourself. And I wont get into how difficult it is to become a great pitcher.

Anyone who claims that baseball is one of the least skilled sports is seriously out of touch with reality.

SunsCaptain
08-12-2011, 06:53 PM
You sir, are full of sh1t. The best hitters in the game fail to get a base hit 70% of the time. And playing defense isn't a cakewalk. I would love to see you play shortstop or centerfield (or any position for that matter) at a high level. You would make a fool of yourself. And I wont get into how difficult it is to become a great pitcher.

Anyone who claims that baseball is one of the least skilled sports is seriously out of touch with reality.

Sorry but the only position is baseball that requires any skill is the pitcher.

Catching the ball and batting is just eye hand coordination...

Baseball is so dumb...lol

Such an unskilled sport... Hell they show little league baseball on espn because it is so easy.

Like I said some people are mentally challenged or "slow" and don't have eye hand coordination and cant play baseball. Sorry if you are in this category and don't see how dumb baseball is.

Mr. Jabbar
08-12-2011, 07:25 PM
Golf = Mental Skills
Football = Coaching Skills
Basketball = Physical Skills
Soccer = Technical Skills
Baseball = No Skills
Hockey = No Skills
Posting on ISH = No Skills

Eat Like A Bosh
08-12-2011, 08:24 PM
Golf = Mental Skills
Football = Coaching Skills
Basketball = Physical Skills
Soccer = Technical Skills
Baseball = No Skills
Hockey = No Skills
Posting on ISH = No Skills
:facepalm :no:
Baseball's actually one that really takes skills. Having athleticism helps, but is not necessary. It's really hard to hit over 60%, let alone 70%, not even the best hitters do it. But You can shoot free throws at a 90% rate. And playing defense isn't a cakewalk. And a pitcher, is probably one of the toughest positions in baseball. Anyone who claims that baseball is one of the least skilled sports has probably never played baseball before.

And Hockey. You ice skate in the ring. A lot of people can't even ice skate, let alone playing a sport while ice skating.

Truth is every sport takes skill to some extent. That's why not everybody can play every sport. My votes goes to football, because it's extremely easy to make the football team at school. Sure, the quarterback is one of the positions that require a mastery of the skill, but on one team there is only like 1 or 2 QBs. In football you need size and bulk. Then you can play.

Plat
08-12-2011, 09:04 PM
Being able to read defenses and react is a skill that EVERY sport requires of its players. Basketball players have to look for holes and gaps to penetrate through too. Those aren't skills specific to just football.. every sport has some type of intelligence/decision making component to it.

C'mon now, we both know that it does not happen in the same manner than it does in football...this is just a reach. So a running back trying to gain yards through a line of 300 lbs linemen trying to tackle him is the same as a basketball player trying to get to the hoop past his defenders?
In basketball the player wit the ball can pass the rock, the running back cant. In basketball the player with the ball can go backwards if there is no hole to penetrate through, the running back cant. In basketball, there are iso's called to make it easier for the ball handler to drive to the hoop, you can't call an iso in football.

And basketball players have to be able to run, jump and contort their bodies as they drive to the rim to avoid on coming 6'8+ 230lb+ defenders coming at them. Basketball players also need amazing hands.. to dribble, pass, shoot, catch etc. Everything a WR does with his hands, a perimeter player in the NBA does ten fold more.

Once again, defenders don't come at offensive players in basketball like they do in football. In football, once the WR's have the ball they have to worry about gaining yards, not getting drilled, not fumbling the ball and this is all after they have to fight off a defender that is on them from the first step...and that's IF they get open and make the catch. Route running is a definitely a skill involved and you could see these examples in the Reggie Waynes, Wes Welkers, Jason Avants who are not considered as an "athletic WR" but they are very effective in what they do because they know how to efficiently run routes.

I never knew every player in the NBA was a LeBron James, and the bolded part is just absolutely too insane for me to even comment on, the passes the NBA player catches does not involve even one-tenth of the precision, accuracy, timing that happens in football.

Again, every sport has decision making parts to it that you could term a 'skill'. Tackling is a skill specific to football though.. I'll give you that for sure. Doesn't take away the fact that speed and strength are king for LBs.

Even if it is a skill specific to football, that does not take away from the fact that it is indeed a skill. Even the lesser athletic LB's can be very good tackling LB's by having the proper technique, stance and leverage when they tackle, those are all skills.

Although in the end I do agree that I think football requires lesser amount of skill compared to basketball, the way you implied that it takes absolutely no skills required in football was just nuts.

SunsCaptain
08-13-2011, 06:41 AM
:facepalm :no:
Baseball's actually one that really takes skills. Having athleticism helps, but is not necessary. It's really hard to hit over 60%, let alone 70%, not even the best hitters do it. But You can shoot free throws at a 90% rate. And playing defense isn't a cakewalk. And a pitcher, is probably one of the toughest positions in baseball. Anyone who claims that baseball is one of the least skilled sports has probably never played baseball before.

And Hockey. You ice skate in the ring. A lot of people can't even ice skate, let alone playing a sport while ice skating.

Truth is every sport takes skill to some extent. That's why not everybody can play every sport. My votes goes to football, because it's extremely easy to make the football team at school. Sure, the quarterback is one of the positions that require a mastery of the skill, but on one team there is only like 1 or 2 QBs. In football you need size and bulk. Then you can play.

Baseball takes 0 skill and I played baseball year round for many many years.

Hitting isnt skill based its eye hand coordination and reaction time. So to get a hit out of 1 out of 4 attempts at bat is considered good because there is no skill involved. Heck some good player on the D-backs just struck out 25 times in a row... Guess that shows how little skill the sport takes. Not to mention catching fielding and throwing is all very easy. The only position that takes skill is the pitcher. And guess what you can be any size and shape and play baseball because you dont move 90% of the game.

If batting took skill players wouldn't strike out a majority of the time. So you can just stop with that argument. :banghead:

People that think there is skill involved in baseball... :facepalm Dumbest sport of all-time...

Stuckey
08-13-2011, 06:57 AM
ya im concluding with baseball outside the pitching

take roids, break out year, sign with yankees or sox, profit

Nero Tulip
08-13-2011, 09:00 AM
i would say that at least 1/4 of amateur basketball players are more skilled than the average nba center, who just happens to be 6'10+ on average

:facepalm

That's just completely ignorant, you're obviously just very small and frustrated by it. Bunch of 5 foot scrubs think centers are not skilled while in a lot of ways it's the hardest position to play. Things you think are easy are not, because you just don't understand the position.

Nero Tulip
08-13-2011, 09:01 AM

Without a ****ing doubt.

SpanishACB
08-13-2011, 11:50 AM

That's just completely ignorant, you're obviously just very small and frustrated by it. Bunch of 5 foot scrubs think centers are not skilled while in a lot of ways it's the hardest position to play. Things you think are easy are not, because you just don't understand the position.

Vouch. NBA centers barely miss shots in practice and they can probably do a bunch of skilled shit they just don't try in games because it's not productive.

IGOTGAME
08-13-2011, 12:16 PM

No, its true. Most centers today are not very skilled. I have been a more skilled post player than Rudiments Handler since age 15...just happens that he hit the genetic lottery. Being an nba player is largely based on natural skill or size.

D-Wade316
08-13-2011, 12:19 PM
Dumbest sport of all-time...
:applause: :cheers: