PDA

View Full Version : Who should host 2014 NBA All-Star weekend?

insidehoops
08-11-2011, 10:43 AM
Orlando in 2012
Houston in 2013

The Knicks will have a renovated MSG.
The Nets will have their new Brooklyn arena.

The Knicks are definitely seeking it. Skim-read this: http://www.insidehoops.com/blog/?p=8170

Your thoughts?

Ikill
08-11-2011, 11:58 AM
Toronto

PowerGlove
08-11-2011, 01:22 PM
A city that either hasnt had it in a while, or one that has never held an all star game.

Lucifer
08-11-2011, 01:24 PM
I should. $10 dollar cover, and 7 kegs.

Free drinks for Kobe THE GOAT.
$15 cover for Lebron

DuMa
08-11-2011, 01:45 PM
Portland if not Toronto.

I'd be up for one in Seattle though :D host it in Qwest Field.

Faberg
08-11-2011, 01:47 PM
Toronto will never host an ASG. Everybody having to through customs is a disaster.

Lucifer
08-11-2011, 01:49 PM
New York will never will never make it to the Finals again.

Fixed

PowerGlove
08-11-2011, 01:50 PM
Toronto will never host an ASG.
That's a shame. I dont see why they cant.

Faberg
08-11-2011, 01:50 PM
Fixed

You mad? :oldlol: Imagine everyone having to go through customs.

Combine that with the cold weather, it's undesirable.

Lucifer
08-11-2011, 01:52 PM
I think China and Europe is going to host a game before Toronto. That's the sad truth. Bigger market there that's growing. Canada is a hockey country with only 30 million ppl

Lucifer
You mad. :oldlol:

:cheers:

MeLO MvP 15
2014 probably goes to NY, Brooklyn or Miami... I just don't think that the NBA would follow up an NY ASG (Knicks or Nets) with another NY game in 2015 (whichever doesn't get it).

Lucifer
08-11-2011, 01:55 PM
I'm going with London at the 02 arena

Faberg
08-11-2011, 02:01 PM
It'll be a shame if Orlando doesn't get to host due to the lockout. Amway Center is beautiful.

Theoo's Daddy
08-11-2011, 02:03 PM
The 2014 allstar weekend will take it's talents to south beach.

v1ncelis
08-11-2011, 02:09 PM
Brooklyn, NY, Miami. One of them or maybe even Seattle?

EricGordon23
08-11-2011, 02:55 PM
Washington Wizards.

InspiredLebowski
08-11-2011, 03:18 PM
It'll be a shame if Orlando doesn't get to host due to the lockout. Amway Center is beautiful.This. There's not going to be a season, Orlando doesn't get it in 2014 it's a joke.

Indy hasn't had it since 84. The city's literally designed to hold events like that. Sure, it'd be cold, but you'd only have to be outside for minutes at a time everything's so close. I'm sure they'd hold the game in Lucas Oil (Colts stadium), which is a shame, Conseco Fieldhouse is beautiful. Lucal Oil's state of the art and all, but it's a monstrosity.

JaskoX1
08-11-2011, 03:23 PM
mexico to host the 2014 all-star game.

Warriors fan
08-11-2011, 03:31 PM
Washington Wizards.
:wtf:

MrRogers
08-11-2011, 04:00 PM
Wow. Houstin is hosting it again in 2013?

The NBA favors warm weather climtates, so I see Miami hosting it. I would say San Antonio, but from what i've read the Spurs' gym is in the middle of nowhere.

Funny. Maybe the small market owners should ask for All-Star Games to be hosted in their arenas so that they can geenrate revenue. Because it looks like the game will strictly be held in warm climates and in the NBA Offices' backyard (Brooklyn/New York)

InspiredLebowski
08-11-2011, 04:10 PM
Wow. Houstin is hosting it again in 2013?

The NBA favors warm weather climtates, so I see Miami hosting it. I would say San Antonio, but from what i've read the Spurs' gym is in the middle of nowhere.

Funny. Maybe the small market owners should ask for All-Star Games to be hosted in their arenas so that they can geenrate revenue. Because it looks like the game will strictly be held in warm climates and in the NBA Offices' backyard (Brooklyn/New York)Some smaller markets may just not want it. Pretty sure when the Fieldhouse was first built Indy was approached about it but the Simons (owners) weren't interested and never were previous or prior, just too much of a hassle I guess. Don't know if it brings enough revenue, if any at all. Haven't seen any studies specifically on the NBA ASW but a lot of people are under the impression that the Super Bowl results in a net loss for the host city, and it's the friggin Super Bowl. The prestige and recognition's obviously nice and all, but if the money ain't right...

mentallooser
08-11-2011, 05:05 PM
Toronto or somewhere in Europe would be cool.

Keith
08-11-2011, 09:57 PM
The lockout is going to be another 2 years?

Toronto will never host an ASG. Everybody having to through customs is a disaster.

1. It wouln't help the US economy only Canada's.

2. Too cold in Canada

bagelred
08-11-2011, 10:20 PM
In New York..............Concrete Jungle Wet Dream Tomato..............

MrRogers
08-11-2011, 10:48 PM
Toronto could support an NBA All-Star Game though. Air Canada Centre is a perfect stage and the city of Toronto has a lot goin' on. I mean yeah Customs is a bitch, but that should not deter the NBA at all.

PowerGlove
08-11-2011, 10:50 PM
Toronto could support an NBA All-Star Game though. Air Canada Centre is a perfect stage and the city of Toronto has a lot goin' on. I mean yeah Customs is a bitch, but that should not deter the NBA at all.
I was under the assumption that players had to go through customs for every game in Toronto, so why is the ASG going to be so hard?

InspiredLebowski
08-12-2011, 03:55 AM
I was under the assumption that players had to go through customs for every game in Toronto, so why is the ASG going to be so hard?Because there's quite a bit more people affilitiated with it making the trip than there would be for some random mid-Februrary game against the Raptors.

Plus it's cold as shit. Seriously, that's the biggest problem. And you shouldn't knock the league for wanting to have their weekend showcase of superstars in a warm climate, it makes sense. Who the hell wants to be cold when you've got multiple other options? I don't understand why people care so much. Where was ASW weekend at 3 years ago? I don't know either.

Stuckey
08-12-2011, 04:19 AM
That's a shame. I dont see why they cant.

cause their nips would be too cold to play

no homo

SunsCaptain
08-12-2011, 04:40 AM
Should do it at some football stadium again for MOAR FANS!

http://a.espncdn.com/photo/2010/0204/dal_g_dalstadum_576.jpg

Clutch
08-12-2011, 07:20 AM
New York

There isn't better place for such event than renovated MSG.

IamSofaKing
08-12-2011, 10:42 AM
Because there's quite a bit more people affilitiated with it making the trip than there would be for some random mid-Februrary game against the Raptors.

Plus it's cold as shit. Seriously, that's the biggest problem. And you shouldn't knock the league for wanting to have their weekend showcase of superstars in a warm climate, it makes sense. Who the hell wants to be cold when you've got multiple other options? I don't understand why people care so much. Where was ASW weekend at 3 years ago? I don't know either.

All of you guys saying its too cold are idiots..

The weather in Toronto is basically the same as NY or any other US city near Toronto. And if i recall correctly Minnesota is 10x colder than Toronto and thats a US city..

Stupid americans

R.I.P.
08-12-2011, 10:48 AM
A city that has no hope of winning a championship in the near future...Miami.

kentatm
08-12-2011, 10:53 AM
if the media is going to piss and moan over freak ice storms in Dallas for the ASG and Super Bowl and start claiming the games should have never been here and instead should only be in places like Miami and LA then I can't imagine how bad the bitch fest would be if the ASG was somewhere like Canada.

SunsCaptain
08-12-2011, 11:16 AM

The weather in Toronto is basically the same as NY or any other US city near Toronto. And if i recall correctly Minnesota is 10x colder than Toronto and thats a US city..

Stupid americans

:facepalm :wtf:

The guy you quoted was saying it should be in a warm climate because toronto is cold. Then your rebuttal is cold climate vs cold climate? Fail :hammerhead:

Stupid Canadians.

See what I did there? :cry:

InspiredLebowski
08-12-2011, 04:56 PM

Stupid americansMinnesota hasn't had the ASG since 94, their fourth year as a franchise so they were trying to drum up NBA interest. NYC hasn't had it since 98, and it's also NYC.

MeLO MvP 15
08-12-2011, 05:30 PM
I loved it in Dallas, that arena was massive and just made the game look amazing. So what if they did another football arena?

I still say a renovated MSG in 2014 deserves it. Or Seattle, if they can get the proper necessities.

UtahJazzFan88
08-12-2011, 06:14 PM
Portland, Salt Lake City, or Brooklyn. Knicks fans can deal with it being at the other teams arena.

yeaaaman
08-13-2011, 06:29 AM
Because there's quite a bit more people affilitiated with it making the trip than there would be for some random mid-Februrary game against the Raptors.

Yes. It is severely colder in Toronto mid-feb than it is in a city like New York. They are worlds apart. And Toronto has numerous events every year that are much larger international attractions than the NBA all-star game and it seems to work out fine with people getting into the country. The players can do it, so can everyone affiliated with it I'm quite certain it wouldn't be that bad. Again its cold as shit? What in the arena? the hotels? the restaurants and lounges people will be going to? Or is the game being held outdoors?

I understand its a comfort thing for a lot of people to stay out of the cold, but I don't think Toronto is severely colder if colder at all than many parts in the northeastern United States, which was blanketed with much more snow this year than what was received in Toronto. So if we're talking climate wise, if New York or New Jersey or Boston for example or considered, I don't see why Toronto shouldn't be.

yeaaaman
08-13-2011, 06:33 AM
if the media is going to piss and moan over freak ice storms in Dallas for the ASG and Super Bowl and start claiming the games should have never been here and instead should only be in places like Miami and LA then I can't imagine how bad the bitch fest would be if the ASG was somewhere like Canada.

So is the media essentially saying every year, every all-star game should be in places like LA or Miami? If that's the case there shouldn't be much debate. Just keep using the same cities with the dependable and predictable weather, can't be that many cities to choose from if a city like Dallas is deemed undesirable

D-Wade316
08-13-2011, 06:59 AM
Miami

ballerz
08-13-2011, 07:08 AM
Somewhere that hasn't had it before