PDA

View Full Version : Dr. James A. Naismith's Canadian Basketball

T-Low
08-17-2011, 01:33 PM
Everyone knows that basketball is all about US and it's players. But as of the past 5+ years, the international scene has kicked in more than ever. With that said, I think of James A. Naismith. The founder of this thing we call basketball. And with Naismith being Canadian and all, I think we should make this thread about Canadian basketball and hold our heads high about the future of this game in Canada.

Obviously a big prospect in Canada is Andrew Wiggins. He might be one of the biggest prospects to come out of Canada and the biggest hopes we have. So talk, be proud!

kmart
08-17-2011, 01:51 PM
Canada Basketball has seen a huge improvement in development and looks to be on the rise.

Myck Kabongo is this years top point guard prospect in the US. He is headed to Texas this upcoming year. He'll likely see a lot of minutes with Rick Barnes and the Texas team.

Cory Joseph joins the Spurs. A great organization that will likely develop him well. I think he'll be a good role player for them.

Tristan Thompson is a top 5 pick and will likely be getting major minutes with Kyrie Irving. He'll be a crucial part of the Cavs rebuilding project.

Kris Joseph is staying at Syracuse. He'll likely be the leader of the team this upcoming year because of his experience.

Andy Rautins, Leo's son. Hoping that he doesn't warm the bench in New York anymore, but for Canada he'll be a good shooter.

Chamberlain
08-17-2011, 02:52 PM
Under current CBA rules, Wiggins will be eligible for the draft in 2014, and is currently rated as the #1 prospect for his draft class. He has great size and athleticism, and the sky it literally the limit for this kid.

Myck Kabongo is the prospect I'm mainly focused on for now. He's going to have the opportunity to have a HUGE year with Texas as Thompson, Joseph, and Hamilton have all moved on to the pro ranks. He may instantly be the teams best player on Day One, and as a PG he'll be in almost complete control of his draft stock.

Kris Joseph, I'm losing faith in, but I still think he can be a solid role player for a team in the league. There were such high hopes for him as a freshman, but it seems like every year he fails to live up to the hype. He'll be the man at Syracuse this year, and I sincerely hope he steps up his game.

Chamberlain
08-17-2011, 02:58 PM
Another player to keep your eyes on is Sim Bhullar, a 17 year old kid who has orally committed to play at Xavier. His parents are Indian, but he (and his equally large brother) were born and raised in Canada.

Bhullar is 7'4, 330~ pounds, with a 7'11 wingspan. He doesn't look like the most athletic kid in the world, but he's strong as hell and has the potential to be an NBA player. Scouts don't believe (at this point) that he'll be a high lottery pick, but a lot can change in two years.

[QUOTE]Another year at Huntington could allow him to lose weight and to polish his post game. Bhullar could model himself after Xavier

T-Low
08-17-2011, 09:16 PM
Under current CBA rules, Wiggins will be eligible for the draft in 2014, and is currently rated as the #1 prospect for his draft class. He has great size and athleticism, and the sky it literally the limit for this kid.

Myck Kabongo is the prospect I'm mainly focused on for now. He's going to have the opportunity to have a HUGE year with Texas as Thompson, Joseph, and Hamilton have all moved on to the pro ranks. He may instantly be the teams best player on Day One, and as a PG he'll be in almost complete control of his draft stock.

Kris Joseph, I'm losing faith in, but I still think he can be a solid role player for a team in the league. There were such high hopes for him as a freshman, but it seems like every year he fails to live up to the hype. He'll be the man at Syracuse this year, and I sincerely hope he steps up his game.

I think Kris Joseph made a good decision by staying back and playing ball another year at Syracuse. He can show what he can do while he is the man. He needed this. Don't lose faith, for he is Canadian so he can do anything! :cheers:

Chamberlain
08-18-2011, 12:49 AM
I think Kris Joseph made a good decision by staying back and playing ball another year at Syracuse. He can show what he can do while he is the man. He needed this. Don't lose faith, for he is Canadian so he can do anything! :cheers:

Absolutely agree it was a smart decision. At the start of last season he was predicted to be a lottery pick, and the year before that he was expected to go in the top 20, but my mid season he basically disapeared from the first round.

Going back to school was definitely the best move for him, and hopefully this year he can improve his shot and his consistency.

T-Low
08-21-2011, 08:41 PM
Looks like the NBL of Canada has its draft tonight....what's everyone think about it so far?

Off topic, hope everyone in Goderich is doing alright after the tornado tore through it!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_wp7hyyaTTA

Reef
08-31-2011, 01:40 PM
Canada vs. Brazil on TSN2 at 7:30pm EST tonight!

kaiteng
09-01-2011, 05:45 PM
Canada vs Dominican Republic, 30-30 at the half. Nice late push by Team Canada.

bballnoob
09-01-2011, 06:54 PM
Real shame that Thompson couldn't play with the team right now, for all their faults, the Canadian bigs do a pretty good job with their help-side rotations and it would be helpful for his development playing with them. Thompson and Anthony in the same front court would be fun to watch.

Chamberlain
09-02-2011, 12:27 PM
Just an update on the FIBA America's tournament..

Canada is now 2-1 after losing to Brazil, and beating Dominican Republic and Cuba. They automatically advance to the next round of the tournament, but have one game left this round against Venezuala.

The top two teams in this tournament automatically qualify for the Olympics (expected to be Argentina and Brazil), and teams 3-4-5 will qualify for the last Olympic qualifier which will be held next summer, and includes teams from all over the world (who have not yet qualified).

Chamberlain
09-03-2011, 11:43 AM
Anyone who's home and has TSN2 should be watching this Canada/Venezuala game. Back and forth action, currently tied at 58.

Greivis Vasquez is absolutely killing it for Venezuala, and Canada is attacking with a great team effort. Andy Rautins is shooting the lights out, and Shepherd is taking it to the rim with authority.

Chamberlain
09-03-2011, 12:32 PM
Canada lost a heartbreaker in OT, 103-98. They still move onto the next round, tough.

Chamberlain
09-04-2011, 07:10 PM
The initial ranking of the nation's top high school sophomores goes 25 deep and is sure to see plenty of change over the years. However, the decision to rank Andrew Wiggins at the top of the class was an easy one.

Andrew Wiggins starts out at No. 1 in the 2014 class.
Wiggins, who hails from Canada, is an athletically gifted 6-foot-7 small forward who has just begun his sophomore year at Huntington (W.V.) Prep.

Wiggin it up!

http://basketballrecruiting.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=1259159

RaininThrees
09-08-2011, 03:14 PM
Canada Loses to Panama, Leo Rautins steps down as Head Coach of Team Canada.

Thank GOD. He's been holding this program back. Maybe now players will want to play for the team.

Bring Back Triano, or hire Dave Smart. Get this thing on the right track with young players (Thompson, Kabongo, etc).

kaiteng
09-08-2011, 04:42 PM

Thank GOD. He's been holding this program back. Maybe now players will want to play for the team.

Bring Back Triano, or hire Dave Smart. Get this thing on the right track with young players (Thompson, Kabongo, etc).
If you hire him, THEY will come.......

Reef
09-08-2011, 05:03 PM

I was thinking the same thing.

Chamberlain
09-08-2011, 05:37 PM
Dave Smart would be a phenomenal hire.

Pretty disapointing way to end the tournament. I was sure we'd be locked into either the 4 or 5 spot. For shame. I still think if Anthony and Doornekamp had played today, we would have won.

Chamberlain
09-20-2011, 07:22 PM
[QUOTE]Former NBA players Rodney Buford and Eddie Robinson have signed with the Halifax Rainmen of a new Canadian League that begins play next month.

The 33-year-old Buford, a 6-foot-5 guard, played five seasons in the NBA with Miami, Philadelphia, Memphis, Sacramento and New Jersey. He also played in Greece, Israel, Ukraine and Germany.

Robinson, 35, spent a season with the Charlotte Hornets and three with the Chicago Bulls. He hasn

kwajo
09-22-2011, 10:35 AM
Wooooo Go Rainmen!

Suck it Halifax, The Saint John Mill Rats have a couple NBA signings coming too, and will easily trump old dip shits like Eddie Robinson.

Chamberlain
09-22-2011, 12:05 PM
:oldlol: Who do you assholes have?

kwajo
09-23-2011, 10:22 AM
They haven't told us yet :lol But we're promised that a couple guys have signed an MOU or something.

Chamberlain
09-23-2011, 10:31 AM
Best rivalry in sports?! I think so!

T-Low
10-06-2011, 07:21 AM
So isn't he gonna just join Kebs' camp or actually sign a contract with them?

Just the vets camp.

kwajo
10-11-2011, 12:47 PM
:oldlol: Who do you assholes have?
Dammit, all we signed so far is Will Blalock :lol

If we were going to sign a Bla[y]lock, it could have at least been Mookie!

Chamberlain
10-11-2011, 01:34 PM
Quebec Kebs signed Jamario Moon! Dynasty in the making..

kwajo
10-11-2011, 05:57 PM
Shit just got real! :eek: :eek: :eek:

kwajo
10-13-2011, 02:26 PM
Things are getting serious, the Oshawa team just signed Denham Brown! :eek:

Chamberlain
10-13-2011, 02:40 PM
Things are getting serious, the Oshawa team just signed Denham Brown! :eek:

No way! That's actually pretty exciting :oldlol:

There was an article in a Halifax newspaper recently that said the team was looking at signing some current NBA players if they knew the season would be lost.

*fingers crossed for Brian Scalabrine*

kwajo
10-13-2011, 02:48 PM
I'd watch a game featuring Eddie Robinson and Rodney Buford versus Denham Brown, that actually sounds pretty worthwhile.

Chamberlain
10-13-2011, 03:26 PM
No love for Will Blalock?! :facepalm

Can't wait for our imminent rivalry.

kwajo
10-14-2011, 07:54 AM
Blalock was decent in college but he never did anything in the pros so I'm going to withhold judgement. I'm actually more excited about seeing Sani Ibrahim and about the rumour that we might actually get Matt Bonner because he has ties to the organization (his brother played for the team 2 years ago).

The Red Rocket would destroy the league - can you say MVP?

Chamberlain
10-14-2011, 09:13 AM
I don't know... I was watching The Score the other day and Win Butler beat Matt Bonner in a three point shoot out... :oldlol:

T-Low
11-05-2011, 07:35 AM
Nice win for London. Bad idea from the Halifax coach for doing a full court press at the start of the game. They would eventually get tired. They need to realize that. Not gonna lie though, Rodney Buford played like crap.

Chamberlain
11-05-2011, 10:48 PM
Nice win for London. Bad idea from the Halifax coach for doing a full court press at the start of the game. They would eventually get tired. They need to realize that. Not gonna lie though, Rodney Buford played like crap.

Where'd you see the game?

T-Low
11-06-2011, 07:08 AM
Where'd you see the game?

JLC haha....the games are actually going to be broadcasted on local Rogers TV...

Chamberlain
11-06-2011, 04:59 PM
JLC haha....the are actually going to be broadcasted on local Rogers TV...

Awesome. I'm probably going to head to a game in the next week or two.

T-Low
11-07-2011, 10:22 AM
Awesome. I'm probably going to head to a game in the next week or two.

Gabe Freeman won player of the week. He deserves it. He has an intense game and he goes for it every time. He is going to be a top player in this league.

On another note, I can't wait for Robinson to have his first game. I want to see what Eddie Robinson brings to Halifax with Buford only playing sub par play his first few games.

Also, I am pretty sure all the games are being streamed on UStream. So everyone, show your support!

Chamberlain
11-07-2011, 10:54 AM
Did you notice/remember if Christian Upshaw played at all? I played against him in University/high school and he's on the Halifax team now. Not sure how much burn he's gonna get though.

T-Low
11-07-2011, 02:28 PM
Did you notice/remember if Christian Upshaw played at all? I played against him in University/high school and he's on the Halifax team now. Not sure how much burn he's gonna get though.

Upshaw only played 3 minutes in garbage time more or less. No stats. So far, it is the only game hes played. My brother played against Patrick Sewell on the Lightning since he went to Fanshawe. But it seems the locals aren't really getting any play time. If this league is going to survive, get some local talent to at least get some time. It will draw crowds knowing there are locals on the team. It's like going to a UFC fight to see a Canadian fighter. There are 3 from the city I currently live in. I know one of them. I'd go just to see that fight.

kwajo
11-16-2011, 02:24 PM
http://blog.mysanantonio.com/spursnation/2011/11/14/bonner-ill-consider-playing-elsehwere/

But a day without texting with Bonner? Well, I just couldn’t take it, so I asked him a question I figured he could answer, disclaimer of interest notwithstanding: Would he look into playing elsewhere?

His response: ‘Possibly. I will definitely consider it.’

For Bonner, born in New Hampshire and married to a Canadian, there seems an obvious option: The National Basketball League of Canada. In fact, he says he has an in with the NBL of Canada’s Halifax Rainmen, a friend who runs the team.

Hey, former Spurs guard Jaren Jackson coaches the Rainmen. He and Bonner could while away the hours swapping Coach Pop stories.

Funny, Jaren Jackson is the coach of Saint John, not Halifax. So which is it that he might play for??

Chamberlain
11-16-2011, 07:08 PM
St John's vs. Halifax Friday night. I'll be there.

T-Low
11-17-2011, 10:58 PM
St John's vs. Halifax Friday night. I'll be there.
Go boi!

T-Low
11-18-2011, 09:02 AM
When did London pick up Rodney Buford?

kwajo
11-18-2011, 09:12 AM
Buford got traded from Halifax?

My Mill Rats are back at .500 after a 3 games win streak on the road, which is great after an 0-3 start at home (they must not like Saint John cooking haha). Anthony Anderson leading the league in scoring and dropped 35 last night on Summerside! Big game versus Halifax tonight, should be fun Chamberlain!

Chamberlain
11-18-2011, 12:21 PM
Should be a dandy!

I'm going to be in the halftime show, a "best mustache" competition :oldlol:

Winner gets 4 courtside seats to the next game, plus some kind of other prize.

skan72
12-05-2011, 09:31 AM
Dave Smart would be a phenomenal hire.

Pretty disapointing way to end the tournament. I was sure we'd be locked into either the 4 or 5 spot. For shame. I still think if Anthony and Doornekamp had played today, we would have won.

I know this was posted awhile ago, but I've only recently come back to posting on ISH.

I hope he is whom Canada Basketball hires. Obviously an absolutely great coach. CB needs to give him a shot.

T-Low
12-05-2011, 11:03 PM
Should be a dandy!

I'm going to be in the halftime show, a "best mustache" competition :oldlol:

Winner gets 4 courtside seats to the next game, plus some kind of other prize.

Not gonna lie, you got a killer stache yo!