PDA

View Full Version : Does Blake Griffin have Potential to be GOAT?

purplch0de
08-20-2011, 08:41 PM
Title says it all

ZeN
08-20-2011, 08:45 PM
this thread..

i see what your doing with it.

L.Kizzle
08-20-2011, 08:49 PM
He has the same amount of potential as this thread has at being successful.

detroitdogg
08-20-2011, 08:52 PM
GOAT PF, sure, dude will most likely be the most dominant big in the league for the next few years (especially when he tones up his footwork, he is strong as hell in the post but did not have the footwork to go to work down there often). I canmos def see him being better than Malone and Barkley, Duncan will be hard to pass without being a great defender, but he could be a much better offensive force and for a much longer period of time, I can see him passing Duncan too, but he needs rings, lets see how well his team is as a whole for the next few yeas so nyggas can make a better assumption.

Maniak
08-20-2011, 09:18 PM
No.

purplch0de
08-20-2011, 09:20 PM
Why not? Guy averaged 22/12 his first season...

L.Kizzle
08-20-2011, 09:24 PM
Remember Derrick Coleman ...

Maniak
08-20-2011, 09:25 PM
Good for him.

He'll still never be the GOAT.

Mr. I'm So Rad
08-20-2011, 09:27 PM
No

Jordan fans would never allow it

bizil
08-20-2011, 09:41 PM
A GOAT list factors talent, numbers, longevity being great, solo accolades, and team accolades. As far as talent, Griff I feel has talent on par with the best PF's of all time. And he will continue to get better. It seemed Kemp and Amare set the tone for the freak athlete PF. But Blake is taking that to another level. And he's combining it with the strength and work ethic of a Karl Malone. Once he works on that jumper and footwork he's gonna be real scary. But in order to top Duncan, he's gonna have to win a ring or two most likely. And be a great player for a long ass time. Even if he becomes a better player than Duncan, he has to build a resume that can compete.

Many people have Bill Russell as the greatest or second greatest center of all time. That's because of the resume he built that looks great for a GOAT list. But if you are talking in terms of who is the better player, it was always clear to me that Wilt was better than Russ. I would also take Kareem, Shaq, Hakeem, Robinson, and Ewing over Russell as well. But on a GOAT list, Russell has all the criteria needed to rank over almost every center. Talent is only portion of what is considered for a GOAT list. U got guys like Penny, King, and Hill that were headed for top 10 GOAT status it seemed for their positions. But injuries change that. But if u took say a G Hill at his best and compared him to the other great SF's, I would only take Bird, Dr. J, and Lebron over him in a draft for SF's. But on a GOAT list, Hill won't rank in the top 10 SF's.

get these NETS
08-20-2011, 09:49 PM
no...

depending on who you speak to ..Barkley, Duncan, Malone are the names that come up when the GOAT at his position comes up.

Blake is quick and powerful but the actual basketball skills aren't there. He seems to have the work ethic to get better, but the position isn't stacked anymore so he's not FORCED to get better every year.

purplch0de
08-20-2011, 10:04 PM
Rookies Season pts/reb/blocks

Duncan: 19/11/2.5 per 39.1 minutes
Barkley: 14/8.6/1 per 28.1 minutes
Malone: 14.9/8.9/0.5 per 30.6 minutes
Garnet: 10.4/6.3/1.6 per 28 minutes

Griffin: 22.5/12/0.5 per 38 minutes

So he has no potential at GOAT all huh?

JaskoX1
08-20-2011, 10:06 PM
Someone call of Bruce Blitz.

ring argument in tact.

lilgodfather1
08-20-2011, 10:19 PM
Blake may have been the best rookie of all time. To say that he doesn't have a chance to be the GOAT PF is stupid. I personally don't see it because knees don't get better as you age, which to me means he may suffer another injury, but the potential is definately there. One thing I can say with some certainty is that he will be the best PF in the NBA in a couple of years.

get these NETS
08-20-2011, 10:22 PM

if you RE-READ my post.....you'll erase your post .

I said that Blake doesn't have the basketball skills now to be goat PF,nor the inclination/situation to improve.

Fact that a super athletic(technically) rookie PF can score that many points and grab those kinds of boards on bad team doesn't mean as much as what you think it means.

purplch0de
08-20-2011, 10:27 PM

I said that Blake doesn't have the basketball skills now to be goat PF,nor the inclination/situation to improve.

Fact that a super athletic(technically) rookie PF can score that many points and grab those kinds of boards on bad team doesn't mean as much as what you think it means.

I didn't ask if he was GOAT now. I asked if he has the potential to be GOAT. Skills will develop over time

L.Kizzle
08-20-2011, 10:27 PM
Blake may have been the best rookie of all time. To say that he doesn't have a chance to be the GOAT PF is stupid. I personally don't see it because knees don't get better as you age, which to me means he may suffer another injury, but the potential is definately there. One thing I can say with some certainty is that he will be the best PF in the NBA in a couple of years.

http://sharing.wpri.com/sharewwlp//photo/2010/08/08/WALT_BELLAMY_20100808172138_640_480.JPG

Bellamy rookie stats
31/19

Wilt rookie stats
37/27

purplch0de
08-20-2011, 10:30 PM
we dont count weak eras. and gtfo of my successful thread.

get these NETS
08-20-2011, 10:37 PM
I didn't ask if he was GOAT now. I asked if he has the potential to be GOAT. Skills will develop over time

I don't see the foundation of an alltime great power forward in BG.Nor did I see it in the guy that BG is usually compared to..shawn Kemp.

I see a super athlete who can destroy 90% of the league right just based on his athleticism.

By contrast, I saw the makings of elite level power forwards when I saw Derrck Coleman as a rook...and Chris Webber...

senelcoolidge
08-20-2011, 10:38 PM
He has the potential to be the GOAT PF of all time..but I don't think overall. He should be in the top 5 at least after his career if injury free. Nowadays PF's play more like SF's. 7 foot jump shooters that don't like to do the dirty work inside. It's a breath of fresh air to see Blake who plays like a classic power forward with added handles, passing ability, and etc. The power forward position is probably the least glamorous of all the positions.

senelcoolidge
08-20-2011, 10:42 PM
I don't see the foundation of an alltime great power forward in BG.Nor did I see it in the guy that BG is usually compared to..shawn Kemp.

I see a super athlete who can destroy 90% of the league right just based on his athleticism.

By contrast, I saw the makings of elite level power forwards when I saw Derrck Coleman as a rook...and Chris Webber...

I don't know if you watched a lot of Clipper games, but Blake is not just a dunker. Big misconception thanks to espn and their highlights. Blake will just get better. He improved ALOT during his rookie year. He added post moves and improved footwork by seasons end. His jump shot was not consistent, but it will get there. He has a great second jump..reason why he is so good on the offensive boards. High basketball I.Q. and not selfish. Blake is already better than Kemp. I see him more like having the body of K.Malone and the athletic ability of Kemp..or a bigger Barkley.
Unlike Coleman and Webber..Griffin has an incredible work ethic and will just get much better.

Abd El-Krim
08-20-2011, 10:44 PM
Blake is an athletic freak with an incredible work ethic. You don't usually see those two put together. Definitely a shot at goat PF, but no matter what he does it's going to be hard to eclipse guys like Jordan, Wilt, etc. Especially since he's glued to the Clippers for the next few years.

Hell, if he goes 26/13 for the next 8 years and wins 3 rings he's still not there in a lot of eyes.

lilgodfather1
08-20-2011, 10:51 PM
http://sharing.wpri.com/sharewwlp//photo/2010/08/08/WALT_BELLAMY_20100808172138_640_480.JPG

Bellamy rookie stats
31/19

Wilt rookie stats
37/27
I don't count 40 years ago. Hell players from 30 years ago are vastly over rated to, and that is considered the modern NBA. Wilt was a monster because he was bigger, faster and stronger than everyone else he was playing with. People are saying that BG is just an athlete, well so is Wilt.

Theoo's Daddy
08-20-2011, 10:53 PM

His arguement is weak, Also Barkley/duncan/Garnet were not 1st options in their teams..

rmt
08-20-2011, 10:53 PM

Totally disagree with that statement. Don't think it's a fair comparison to true rookies - traveling with the team, sitting on the bench watching games, learning plays, getting used to the travel/grind, adjusting to the NBA for a whole year - I'm sure he learned a lot even though he didn't actually play.

L.Kizzle
08-20-2011, 11:03 PM
I don't count 40 years ago. Hell players from 30 years ago are vastly over rated to, and that is considered the modern NBA. Wilt was a monster because he was bigger, faster and stronger than everyone else he was playing with. People are saying that BG is just an athlete, well so is Wilt.
Bellamy looks pretty big next to Wilt in that picture?

Fiasco
08-20-2011, 11:05 PM
If he wins more than 4 rings with this Clippers team, you can throw him in the Top 10.

GOAT time requires more. Individual accomplishments... I'm looking at MVPs and FMVPs, a DPOY (or 5) would be good too, and and making multiple 1st team All-NBA Selections and/or 1st team All-NBA Defense lists too. Off the top of my head.

The talent and work ethic is there, but it's a long way to the summit for Griffin.

Clippersfan86
08-21-2011, 01:04 AM
If he leads the Clippers to 2 or more rings as undisputed man on team with MVP stats he immediately is in the top 5 GOAT discussion assuming he has some longevity. Too many peole are speculating if he will be the GOAT rather than OP's question of potential. Yes his potential is insanely high. How many other players averaged 22.5, 12 and 4 as rookies getting by on raw ability? None.

Last rookie to average his numbers? Kareem 41 years ago! Think about that for a sec. Kareem was the greatest college player ever and insanely skilled. It took Mailman 3 seasons to match Blake's rookie numbers. Think about this logically.

L.Kizzle
08-21-2011, 01:09 AM
If he leads the Clippers to 2 or more rings as undisputed man on team with MVP stats he immediately is in the top 5 GOAT discussion assuming he has some longevity. Too many peole are speculating if he will be the GOAT rather than OP's question of potential. Yes his potential is insanely high. How many other players averaged 22.5, 12 and 4 as rookies getting by on raw ability? None.

Last rookie to average his numbers? Kareem 41 years ago! Think about that for a sec. Kareem was the greatest college player ever and insanely skilled. It took Mailman 3 seasons to match Blake's rookie numbers. Think about this logically.
Mailman wasn't the number one pick, he was 14th.

28renyoy
08-21-2011, 01:16 AM
Barkley first season 58-24, lost in ECF
Malone first season 42-40, lost in first round
Duncan first season 56-26, lost in 2nd round
Hayes first season, lost in 1st round
Blake Griffin, lottery

These were the great PF's that came into the league NBA ready. Blake Griffin fit this mold, yet he only improved his team by 3 wins.

Clippersfan86
08-21-2011, 01:16 AM
Mailman wasn't the number one pick, he was 14th.

Doesn't matter. He was insanely talented and became the GOAT PF pre Duncan arguably. You having the advantage of hindsight makes it no less impressive.

Smoke117
08-21-2011, 01:38 AM

Either way you are still wrong. Just Drob and Shaq alone were far more dominant rookies.

OKCThunderUP
08-21-2011, 01:42 AM
Being the GOAT requires playing elite level defense. Griffin doesn't even play defense.

EnoughSaid
08-21-2011, 01:46 AM
All the good PF's are getting old. Dirk is old. Amare is up there. Bosh is like 27. KG can barely walk. This is how I see the best players at each position a few years from now:

Rose
EG
Durant
Blake
Howard

rmt
08-21-2011, 02:26 AM

Incorrect stats for Duncan.

Duncan 21.1/11.9/2.5 54.9% FG (with much better defense)
BGriffin 22.5/12.1/0.5 50.6% FG

http://www.basketball-reference.com/players/d/duncati01.html

D-Wade316
08-21-2011, 02:51 AM
All the good PF's are getting old. Dirk is old. Amare is up there. Bosh is like 27. KG can barely walk. This is how I see the best players at each position a few years from now:

Rose
EG
Durant
Blake
Howard
Can't see Rose becoming better than CP3. By his 3rd year, CP3 posted a PER of 30:eek:
EG will never be better than Wade, just like how no one replaced MJ at the top spot despite his age.
Durant over Lebron in a few years? LOL:facepalm
Agree
He already is.

Timmy D for MVP
08-21-2011, 02:54 AM
I don't think he'll be able to reach G.O.A.T. PF simply because I don't see him ever having the impact on the defensive end that Timmy has had.

But I do think he'll eventually be considered one of the greats.

Celtics4ever
08-21-2011, 03:05 AM
Does he have potential? Yes, I think any player has potential when they're in their second year. Will he? No, I need to see a lot more to his game.

I dont think anyone currently can be as good as MJ.

Out of all the current players, I think Rose has the greatest shot to be GOAT. He is in a big city, with good players and system surrounding him, he is a SG away from piling up championships, not to mention his hard work ethic and killer instinct. The only thing he lacks is size.

I think Durant has a second shot. The guy is a pure scorer, if he learns to play defense, pass, REBOUND, and bulks up a lil bit more, he has potential. One thing it seems like he lacks is the urge to be a leader, it seems like Westbrook has that more than Durant.

D-Wade316
08-21-2011, 03:26 AM
Does he have potential? Yes, I think any player has potential when they're in their second year. Will he? No, I need to see a lot more to his game.

I dont think anyone currently can be as good as MJ.

Out of all the current players, I think Rose has the greatest shot to be GOAT. He is in a big city, with good players and system surrounding him, he is a SG away from piling up championships, not to mention his hard work ethic and killer instinct. The only thing he lacks is size.

I think Durant has a second shot. The guy is a pure scorer, if he learns to play defense, pass, REBOUND, and bulks up a lil bit more, he has potential. One thing it seems like he lacks is the urge to be a leader, it seems like Westbrook has that more than Durant.
:facepalm

Collie
08-21-2011, 04:09 AM
First of all, TD had a much more impressive rookie season. 21-12 with DOMINANT defense. David Robinson had an even better one (24-12 and 3+ bpg). Shaq beat him in every area except FT shooting (23-14, 3 bpg). How about Bird (21-10-5, lead his team to 62 wins from 20+ the year before). Magic (Finals MVP, 19-7-7 as a rookie). MJ (28-6-5). Even Brand put up 20-10 as a rookie.

Most impressive rookie season my ass.

alenleomessi
08-21-2011, 06:19 AM
2nd best PF of all time seems possible

alenleomessi
08-21-2011, 06:26 AM
Barkley first season 58-24, lost in ECF
Malone first season 42-40, lost in first round
Duncan first season 56-26, lost in 2nd round
Hayes first season, lost in 1st round
Blake Griffin, lottery

These were the great PF's that came into the league NBA ready. Blake Griffin fit this mold, yet he only improved his team by 3 wins.
u forgot to mention that barkley had dr j and moses, malone had dantley and duncan had robinson

Odinn
08-21-2011, 07:04 AM
:roll: :roll: :roll:

First of all, TD had a much more impressive rookie season. 21-12 with DOMINANT defense. David Robinson had an even better one (24-12 and 3+ bpg). Shaq beat him in every area except FT shooting (23-14, 3 bpg). How about Bird (21-10-5, lead his team to 62 wins from 20+ the year before). Magic (Finals MVP, 19-7-7 as a rookie). MJ (28-6-5). Even Brand put up 20-10 as a rookie.

:applause: :applause:

blablabla
08-21-2011, 07:18 AM
Can't see Rose becoming better than CP3. By his 3rd year, CP3 posted a PER of 30:eek:
EG will never be better than Wade, just like how no one replaced MJ at the top spot despite his age.
Durant over Lebron in a few years? LOL:facepalm
Agree
He already is.
:facepalm

brantonli
08-21-2011, 08:20 AM
To be anywhere near GOAT, you need huge team success, and I'm not sure Blake will get that with the current team, Jordan and Gordan (sic?). Of course, there's the potential for one of them to completely blow up and become the next Kobe or something, but that's rather unlikely. IMO, if Griffin was placed in the best possible situation, with him being the focus point (so imagine a team like the Thunder but with Griffin instead of Durant), then maybe he has a chance. Rings count hugely towards how well a player is ranked historically.

All Net
08-21-2011, 08:25 AM
GOAT power forward would be a better question

chips93
08-21-2011, 09:55 AM
blake puts little effort in on defense and has potential to improve, but with his avergave size and wingspan, hell never be a dominant defensive player.

Psileas
08-21-2011, 10:01 AM

Wait, so we don't count today's era? ;)
Anyway, I thought GOAT is supposed to mean greatest of ALL TIME. Excluding what you want to makes you a hypocrite and invalidates the "AT" of GOAT.

But I love your sense of autosarcasm.

Barkley and Malone had no potential for GOAT, either, especially Malone. Malone was possibly the hardest worker ever and he still isn't a valid GOAT candidate.
Garnett was 19 when he posted these stats and Griffin was 22. There were multiple rookies in history with better stats and more impact than Griffin, be it from what you call "weak eras" or not.
Rookie Duncan was a way better defender than rookie Griffin and I won't be surprised if he never matches TD's rookie defensive impact.

And these are only the GOAT PF's (along with Pettit), none of which is seriously among the GOAT candidates.

senelcoolidge
08-21-2011, 10:09 AM
Being the GOAT requires playing elite level defense. Griffin doesn't even play defense.

Ok, he's not a shot blocker..K. Malone was not a shot blocker either. That doesn't matter. Blocked shots or steals doesn't make you a great defensive player. Blake is not a strong defensive player, but will get better. He's actually better than what most people think. He probably will never be an elite defender, but good.

oolalaa
08-21-2011, 10:43 AM
Anyone who is as athletically gifted as he is has a chance, however unlikely...

Dengness9
08-21-2011, 10:51 AM
No

Jordan fans would never allow it

Michael Jordan's accolades and achievements wouldn't allow it.

Is it fun to talk out of your backside rather than your mouth? Don't answer, I already know.

Ikill
08-21-2011, 02:34 PM
He has the talent and work ethic to have an all time great peak but thats all i can say right now.

RRR3
08-21-2011, 02:49 PM
Hell no.

RRR3
08-21-2011, 02:54 PM

Don't forget Jordan averaged 28 PPG as a rookie.

GS1905
08-21-2011, 03:02 PM
It's too early to say something like that right now. I know he's gonna be a great player if he stays injury free but having potential to be the GOAT? IDK man.

Even though he had an awesome year, he didn't really improve his team that much. After all Clippers only won 32 games this year which is only 3 wins more than previous year.

I'm gonna wait until Blake actually makes his team and his teammates better before I say anything about where he will be ranked.

Kurosawa0
08-21-2011, 03:13 PM
More likely he'll be in the same league as Charles Barkley and Karl Malone in terms of great power forwards. Still has a long, long way to go before even getting there.

Eat Like A Bosh
08-21-2011, 03:26 PM
I thought we all agreed that nobody is surpassing Jordan's legacy

get these NETS
08-21-2011, 03:35 PM
I don't know if you watched a lot of Clipper games, but Blake is not just a dunker. Big misconception thanks to espn and their highlights. Blake will just get better. He improved ALOT during his rookie year. He added post moves and improved footwork by seasons end. His jump shot was not consistent, but it will get there. He has a great second jump..reason why he is so good on the offensive boards. High basketball I.Q. and not selfish. Blake is already better than Kemp. I see him more like having the body of K.Malone and the athletic ability of Kemp..or a bigger Barkley.
Unlike Coleman and Webber..Griffin has an incredible work ethic and will just get much better.

Better than Kemp? disagree....check out footage of Seattle's finals run again and just how critical Kemp was to that run including his matchup with Karl Malone .

I didn't just watch espn....Clippers games aired towards the middle of the season..and routinely...Blake looked uncomfortable when he had the ball outside the paint

Already better than Shawn Kemp....nah

Also....unless I'm missing something, when was C. Webb's work ethic ever called into question? I know he butted heads with coaches but the team success that the Kings had once he got there validated his position as a great player and team mate..and made Warriors and Bullets look bad, not Webb.

Coleman was an asshole, even when he was an elite player..his bad attitude, bad work ethic, and poor leadership became more apparent as his game eroded.

Clippersfan86
08-21-2011, 03:46 PM
Better than Kemp? disagree....check out footage of Seattle's finals run again and just how critical Kemp was to that run including his matchup with Karl Malone .

I didn't just watch espn....Clippers games aired towards the middle of the season..and routinely...Blake looked uncomfortable when he had the ball outside the paint

Already better than Shawn Kemp....nah

Also....unless I'm missing something, when was C. Webb's work ethic ever called into question? I know he butted heads with coaches but the team success that the Kings had once he got there validated his position as a great player and team mate..and made Warriors and Bullets look bad, not Webb.

Coleman was an asshole, even when he was an elite player..his bad attitude, bad work ethic, and poor leadership became more apparent as his game eroded.

Kemp's best season statistically isn't as good as Griffin's rookie year. That's enough of a nail in the coffin as to if Griffin is better or not. Griffin's literally better in every way besides defensively but Kemp wasn't a star defender as a rookie either. Griffin is the first rookie since Iverson to put up 2 40 point games. I know that doesn't seem like a big deal but that's since 96' and he's a freaking Power Forward, not a Shooting Guard.

He's also the first rookie to average his combination of stats in 41 years since the great Kareem. I don't think Griffin will ever be THE GOAT but you guys are underrating the sh** out of the guy. I've always said I honestly believe IF healthy, IF stats are elite and IF he wins in his career Griffin will finish in the top 10-15 all time range. He has that kind of potential.

His fire and work ethic are on par with the greats like Jordan, Bird, Kobe and all them. He's the ultimate face of the NBA too with his legit, humble and kind personality yet... on court ferocity. Basically he's the perfect franchise player.
Also I want to nip this bad defense crap in the butt once in for all. In 1 on 1 situations and Iso's Griffin only allowed a basket 30 percent of the time. Meaning his man to man defense was very solid, though his interior defense (most important for a PF) did suffer.

I think rather than spewing crap like "terrible defense" "only dunks" etc you guys should take Clippers fans more seriously. I watched all 82 games this year and have pretty much memorized the advanced and basic stats for all my players. Meaning I've looked at things from all perspectives and can confidently say Blake is an average defender (not terrible) and does A LOT more than dunk.

There is no question he has a long way to go but if you can average 22.5, 12 and 4 on 51 percent shooting as a rookie PF on pure talent and athleticism what does that mean for the rest of the NBA when you actually learn all the ins and outs???? The rest of the NBA should be very afraid.

kaiiu
08-21-2011, 03:49 PM
Not GOAT but I hope he becomes a all time great BEAST this next decade. The league needs more real superstars ala the early 2000s

Vertical-24
08-21-2011, 04:03 PM
I don't like to discount anyone's potential, especially a young guy like Blake so I can't say for sure he can or can't be the GOAT in the future. That will take many more accomplishments, accolades, and displays of amazing basketball prowess in order for us to even ponder the subject.

Blake is a great PF and a pretty solid all around player. He will definitely become a dominant leader in the future, he can only get better. First off, Blake needs to develop a reliable jumpshot. His shot is pretty shoddy, and the jumpshot is one of the biggest fundamentals in the game.

Blake has the size and athleticism to make him a dominant, feared player. Hell, he's pretty dominant now and its only been his rookie season.

While not neccesarily needed for his position, Blake should hone his passing skill and on-court decision making to help tally on assist. Again, not neccessarily needed for his position but I mean the GOAT would have to know how to pass the ball, when it would be needed, and to spot open men when he can't throw the ball down. Duncan never really was an assist-man (can't blame him, he's a PF) and so its obvious you don't need assists to be great, but a boost in assist could power him over Duncan (in my opinion).

I could go on and on about what I think Blake should work on and such, but to cut it short, I have no clue about whether he will be the GOAT or not. Passing Jordan is a hell of a task to accomplish and honestly, I don't believe he will. (But this was only his rookie season, wtf do I know?)

Clippersfan86
08-21-2011, 04:09 PM
I don't like to discount anyone's potential, especially a young guy like Blake so I can't say for sure he can or can't be the GOAT in the future. That will take many more accomplishments, accolades, and displays of amazing basketball prowess in order for us to even ponder the subject.

Blake is a great PF and a pretty solid all around player. He will definitely become a dominant leader in the future, he can only get better. First off, Blake needs to develop a reliable jumpshot. His shot is pretty shoddy, and the jumpshot is one of the biggest fundamentals in the game.

Blake has the size and athleticism to make him a dominant, feared player. Hell, he's pretty dominant now and its only been his rookie season.

While not neccesarily needed for his position, Blake should hone his passing skill and on-court decision making to help tally on assist. Again, not neccessarily needed for his position but I mean the GOAT would have to know how to pass the ball, when it would be needed, and to spot open men when he can't throw the ball down. Duncan never really was an assist-man (can't blame him, he's a PF) and so its obvious you don't need assists to be great, but a boost in assist could power him over Duncan (in my opinion).

I could go on and on about what I think Blake should work on and such, but to cut it short, I have no clue about whether he will be the GOAT or not. Passing Jordan is a hell of a task to accomplish and honestly, I don't believe he will. (But this was only his rookie season, wtf do I know?)

Blake just averaged nearly 4 apg as a rookie PF...... The last PF or C to average his assist numbers was a prime KG. His passing and decision making are NOT a flaw in his game and he averaged more assists than any PF or C in the league by a fair margin this year.

Beyond that I liked like your post and logic.... just way off on the assists/passing thing. Read this article from late January. It breaks down his passing and playmaking and gives a few examples in video. He's an elite playmaker at his position. When it's all said and done his passing/court vision is going to be right there with prime KG/Chris Webber.

http://offthedribble.blogs.nytimes.com/2011/01/11/blake-griffin-playmaker-extraordinaire/

Vertical-24
08-21-2011, 04:12 PM
Blake just averaged nearly 4 apg as a rookie PF...... The last PF or C to average his assist numbers were a prime KG. His passing and decision making are NOT a flaw in his game and he averaged more assists than any PF or C in the league by a fair margin this year.

Beyond that I liked like your post and logic.... just way off on the assists/passing thing.

Your right but I wasn't saying he didn't and I didn't say it was a flaw in his game. I was more or less saying that if he continued to hone his skill, he would have an even bigger edge on other reigning PF/C's.

Clippersfan86
08-21-2011, 04:17 PM
Your right but I wasn't saying he didn't and I didn't say it was a flaw in his game. I was more or less saying that if he continued to hone his skill, he would have an even bigger edge on other reigning PF/C's.

Oh my bad for misunderstanding then. I just think his interior defense, outside shooting and free throw shooting are the priorities right now. As he gains experience his passing will keep improving. Blake is a legit threat to be a 25, 13 and 5 player some day and those are monster numbers for a PF. If he can somehow also average 1.5 bpg and win a ring or two with the CLIPPERS he's going to be the undisputed GOAT PF.

eliteballer
08-22-2011, 11:00 PM
Griffin is not a *real* rookie no matter how much you want to pretend he is. He's been around the NBA ie coaches, trainers, facilities, etc. for 2 years, learning, growing, maturing.

purplch0de
08-22-2011, 11:04 PM
Griffin is not a *real* rookie no matter how much you want to pretend he is. He's been around the NBA ie coaches, trainers, facilities, etc. for 2 years, learning, growing, maturing.

my girth is as long as your ***** no matter how much you want to pretend it isnt. My ***** has been around the NBA ie cheerleaders, trainers, facilities, etc. for 2 years, learning, growing, maturing.

senelcoolidge
08-22-2011, 11:05 PM

Just like Greg Oden was not a true rookie after not playing what would have been his real rookie year. Griffin was a rookie. Yes, there is an advantage to the trainers and the other perks. But he was still a rookie regardless.

BEAST Griffin
08-22-2011, 11:12 PM
He has to potential to become the best player of this decade.

Asukal
08-22-2011, 11:43 PM
Potential? Yes. Become GOAT, very very unlikely. :rockon:

Fiasco
08-23-2011, 12:21 AM

http://img28.imageshack.us/img28/6277/algblakegriffinrookie.jpg

Looks pretty real to me.

eliteballer
08-23-2011, 01:18 AM
You guys are going to be awfully dissapointed when you dont see the same arc of improvement as real rookies.

purplch0de
08-23-2011, 01:18 AM
You guys are going to be awfully dissapointed when you dont see the same arc of improvement as real rookies.

here eat a vampgina

http://img1.uploadscreenshot.com/images/orig/8/23401045612-orig.jpg

Fiasco
08-23-2011, 02:54 AM

http://img819.imageshack.us/img819/6633/bgchamp.jpg

LastEpisode
08-23-2011, 09:56 AM
here eat a vampgina

http://img1.uploadscreenshot.com/images/orig/8/23401045612-orig.jpg
That kinda reminds me of your sister..

purplch0de
08-23-2011, 12:07 PM
That kinda reminds me of your sister..

not sure why you would be with her if she looked like that... you must be ugly, black or both.

Ikill
08-23-2011, 01:16 PM
2nd year Griffin is already better than 2nd year Rose or 2nd year Durant so if he makes the same jump they did from 2nd to 3rd year he's already a top 5 player.

Ikill
08-23-2011, 01:24 PM
Just like Greg Oden was not a true rookie after not playing what would have been his real rookie year. Griffin was a rookie. Yes, there is an advantage to the trainers and the other perks. But he was still a rookie regardless.
one more year of college>sitting on the bench for an NBA team. There is no advantage to the trainers and other perks if your injured you don't get better by watching. If being on an NBA team did help Griffin than why wasn't his game more developed he was still very raw and he still made rookie mistakes.

get these NETS
05-23-2012, 08:31 PM
Kemp's best season statistically isn't as good as Griffin's rookie year. That's enough of a nail in the coffin as to if Griffin is better or not.

sportscenter is ruining generations of sports fans.

see highlights and then write things that don't make sense.

Blake is a bigger stronger version of young Kenyon Martin...and definitely NOT better than Shawn Kemp

Smoke117
05-23-2012, 08:32 PM
:roll:

CavaliersFTW
05-17-2015, 09:29 PM
:oldlol: :oldlol: :oldlol: :oldlol: :oldlol: :oldlol: :oldlol:

imdaman99
05-17-2015, 09:31 PM
Fk no. He put up great stats in the playoffs but when his team needs a bucket, he was getting blocked over and over by Dwight. He is someone who is not as good as his stats say he is.

DonDadda59
05-17-2015, 09:31 PM
Still in the running for GOAT ginger. :applause:

CavaliersFTW
05-17-2015, 09:32 PM
Still in the running for GOAT ginger. :applause:
Better than Bill Walton or Dave Cowens you think?

dazzer87
05-17-2015, 09:33 PM
where that thread by a kobe stan that compare him to prime time KG at......:lol