PDA

View Full Version : Derrick Rose vs. Kevin Durant

ThaSwagg3r
08-21-2011, 10:03 PM
Who is better to you right now and who would you rather have?

Rose in 2011 RS
25 ppg, 8 apg, 4 rpg with 45% shooting, 33% 3P shooting, 55% TS, and 49% eFG

Led his team to the #1 seed in the East and #1 record in the NBA with 62-20. Rose was also named the 2010-2011 MVP.

Durant in 2011 RS
28 ppg, 7 rpg, 3 apg with 46% shooting, 35% 3P shooting, 59% TS, and 51% eFG

Led his team to the #4 seed in the West and 7th best record in the NBA with a record of 55-27. Durant was ranked 5th in the 2010-2011 MVP voting.

Rose in 2011 Playoffs
27 ppg, 8 apg, 4 rpg, 40% shooting, 25% 3P shooting, 50% TS, and 43% eFG.

Lost in the ECF to the Heat in 5

Durant in 2011 Playoffs
29 ppg, 8 rpg, 3 apg, 45% shooting, 34% 3P shooting, 58% TS, and 50% eFG.

Lost in the WCF to the Mavericks in 5.

Recommendation: ignore all of joyner/28ren's posts. I am sure we all want mature and intelligent insights here.

Who ya got?

RRR3
08-21-2011, 10:04 PM
Durant easily.

knickswin
08-21-2011, 10:09 PM
they are very different and they have very different roles . . .

I think I would go with Rose. He is still a somewhat flawed player because he is not a great shooter and there is a lot to be desired with his passing. He was contained in the playoffs but that was partly because teams were able to put so much defensive attention on him.

I think he needs to learn how to play PnR and PnP better for the sake of his team.

Despite that, he is what makes the Bulls' offense go. Without him the Bulls are one of the crappiest group of scorers in the league.

SuperPippen
08-21-2011, 10:11 PM
Rose is one of my favorite players to watch, but Durant is better.

GS1905
08-21-2011, 10:13 PM
Rose imo beucase he is a leader.

RRR3
08-21-2011, 10:14 PM
Rose imo beucase he is a leader.

Not in the playoffs, he's not. :D

EricGordon23
08-21-2011, 10:15 PM
As of right now I would take durant. Dudes scoring ability will only get better and if he works on his passing skills he will be scary.

GS1905
08-21-2011, 10:18 PM
Not in the playoffs, he's not. :D

How so? Even though he played bad against the Heat he was still their leader. Plus his playing bad against the Heat has a lot to do with Bulls not having another player who can create for himself and others.

He at least didn't let another player take the leader spot like Durant did.

RRR3
08-21-2011, 10:19 PM
How so? Even though he played bad against the Heat he was still the leader. Plus his playing bad against the Heat has a lot to with Bulls not having another player who can create for himself and others.

He at least didn't let another player take the leader spot like Durant did.

Durant didn't "let" Westbrook take the leader role, he just couldn't stop him as Westbrook is the PG and has the ball most of the time and can decide what to do with it. Rose didn't lead shit, he was absoute garbage period, and got thoroughly embarassed by LeBron on both ends of the floor.

knickswin
08-21-2011, 10:24 PM
Durant didn't "let" Westbrook take the leader role, he just couldn't stop him as Westbrook is the PG and has the ball most of the time and can decide what to do with it. Rose didn't lead shit, he was absoute garbage period, and got thoroughly embarassed by LeBron on both ends of the floor.

The Westbrook-Durant dynamic is a two-way street. On the one hand Westbrook is not a great playmaker or passer for a point guard so he does not create looks for his teammates particularly well. On the other hand Durant's shot creation ability is somewhat limited so if he cannot get open using a screen it is up to Westbrook to create something at the end of the shot clock. Part of the reason Durant is so efficient is Westbrook is the designated bail-out shot taker on that team.

A lot of these issues probably partially fall on their coach though.

GS1905
08-21-2011, 10:25 PM

That means Westbrook didn't see him as the leader. Otherwise he would pass him the ball instead of taking bad shots or attacking the rim like crazy.

I'm pretty sure Lebron got even more embarrassed against the MAVS by guys like Marion and Terry. So I guess that makes Lebron more of a garbage.

Clippersfan86
08-21-2011, 10:28 PM
Both are legit franchise players and the future of the league. I would take Rose because he has that attitude and fire Durant lacks. No wrong answer in either players here but give me Rose for this reason. Not only that but I feel Rose is less one dimensional. He's a better defender than Durant, a better passer and not much worse of a scorer or rebounder. Plus Rose lead his team to 60 wins despite tons of missed games by Boozer and Noah. Rose is harder to stop for opposing teams than Durant is.

ThaSwagg3r
08-22-2011, 12:44 AM
Both are legit franchise players and the future of the league. I would take Rose because he has that attitude and fire Durant lacks. No wrong answer in either players here but give me Rose for this reason. Not only that but I feel Rose is less one dimensional. He's a better defender than Durant, a better passer and not much worse of a scorer or rebounder. Plus Rose lead his team to 60 wins despite tons of missed games by Boozer and Noah. Rose is harder to stop for opposing teams than Durant is.
I think that is best argument Rose has here. Rose is a multi dimensional player while Durant is pretty much one dimensional. It is very clear that Durant is the better scorer because even though he doesn't have much post moves or variations in his scoring, Rose doesn't have much either.

Durant gets the comparison of being a super Reggie Miller/Ray Allen or a black Dirk Nowitzki because he is pretty much not worthy of being out there on the floor if he isn't scoring or making his shots.

Rose has other reasons to be out there on the floor aside from scoring. Rose is pretty much responsible for his team's entire offense. Bulls are pretty much hopeless when Rose isn't out there. He generates the majority of his team's points for himself and for others. Rose's playmaking ability is great as is his scoring ability. The biggest problem for Rose is his scoring efficiency. He can score and can score a lot of points, but he doesn't score at a very high efficiency.

Durant is one-dimensional, but man what a dimension. Scoring champion on back to back seasons and he was also the scoring leader in the 2011 playoffs as well. Durant is a very efficient scorer especially for a shooter and much more efficient of a scorer than Rose is.

Neither Rose or Durant are good defenders, both are in the average/mediocre range really. I would give Durant the slight edge but it is nothing significant.

The same thing goes for their rebounding. Both of them are in the top 5 for their respected positions.

The argument is pretty much, is Rose's other dimensions good enough to be put him on top of Durant's very powerful one-dimension?

imdaman99
08-22-2011, 12:56 AM
How can anyone say Rose is the better defender? Just because the rest of Rose's team plays great team defense does not imply that he is the better defender. Durant made key blocks to end games this year. Yeah of course that alone does not make Durant the better defender but that means he is the better clutch defender.

Plus Rose was competing against Darren Collison, Jeff Teague, and Chalmers in the playoffs :lol no offense but that is that saddest trio of competition in the playoffs maybe ever at a single position :oldlol:

Go Getter
08-22-2011, 01:14 AM
One asset in Rose's game that people don't give him credit for is his speed/tempo creation.

In he fourth when teams are tired his speed is a killer.

Idk about this one as a Bull's fan I still find it hard to choose Rose over a 6'11 small forward with handles.

28renyoy
08-22-2011, 01:32 AM
durant and it's not even close.

NuggetsFan
08-22-2011, 01:38 AM
durant and it's not even close.

You must be confused, the thread title wasn't who you would rather have sex with.

imdaman99
08-22-2011, 02:42 AM
You must be confused, the thread title wasn't who you would rather have sex with.
:lol :bowdown:

Go Getter
08-22-2011, 03:20 AM
How can anyone say Rose is the better defender? Just because the rest of Rose's team plays great team defense does not imply that he is the better defender. Durant made key blocks to end games this year. Yeah of course that alone does not make Durant the better defender but that means he is the better clutch defender.

Plus Rose was competing against Darren Collison, Jeff Teague, and Chalmers in the playoffs :lol no offense but that is that saddest trio of competition in the playoffs maybe ever at a single position :oldlol:

Those three players you listed didn't guard Rose the whole game they would sic two and three players on him.

The Heat had Lebron James and Wade guarding Rose as well.

You fail once again.:facepalm

pauk
08-22-2011, 08:38 AM
Durant > biggest shotjacking PG in the NBA

z14h
08-22-2011, 08:46 AM
According to the stats you posted, Durant is better and who I would rather have.

Bigsmoke
08-22-2011, 09:46 AM
The Westbrook-Durant dynamic is a two-way street. On the one hand Westbrook is not a great playmaker or passer for a point guard so he does not create looks for his teammates particularly well. On the other hand Durant's shot creation ability is somewhat limited so if he cannot get open using a screen it is up to Westbrook to create something at the end of the shot clock. Part of the reason Durant is so efficient is Westbrook is the designated bail-out shot taker on that team.

A lot of these issues probably partially fall on their coach though.

Westbrook finished 9th in APG last season so there are only 8 PGs the know how to pass the ball now?

his greatest ability is to score and thats what he's supposed to do.

tredigs
08-22-2011, 09:47 AM
If only they were to have played together right before the regular season in some sort exhibition game, nay (!), an Olympic Tournament! God that would have been awesome. Only then would Rose show you haters that he would be the best player/leader of the offense on a team like that. All on route to winning player of the tournament and thoroughly outplaying KD AND Westbrook (if that scrub even made the team, AmIrite?!).

inthenickoftime
08-22-2011, 10:04 AM

:oldlol: :oldlol: :roll: :roll:

EnoughSaid
08-22-2011, 10:06 AM
Rose has much more potential. If he can get better at man to man defense and improve his FG, then we're looking at a possible best player in the NBA for quite some time.

Rnbizzle
08-22-2011, 10:15 AM
Rose has much more potential. If he can get better at man to man defense and improve his FG, then we're looking at a possible best player in the NBA for quite some time.
I'm a Bulls and Rose fan, but to say Durant doesn't have that same scary potential is foolish, dude will be the among the scoring leaders in the NBA for the entire next decade unless something crazy happens.

With that said, I too choose Rose, because I think he'll improve his shooting, FG% and D in the next couple of years (and be the best player in the league).

KingBeasley08
08-22-2011, 10:21 AM
Durant and its not even close

LBJDWADE63
08-22-2011, 10:58 AM
Durant is better right now.

Rose played pretty good in the reguler season but he sucked in the playoffs.

wally_world
08-22-2011, 11:01 AM

epic ownage :oldlol:

CHi1PriDe
08-22-2011, 11:30 AM

Hah got em.. treated :bowdown:

GreatGreg
08-22-2011, 11:35 AM
Durant and its not even close
It's ok joyner, you already made this post.

KingBeasley08
08-22-2011, 12:26 PM
^
this guy thinks I'm joyner?? :lol :lol

Soothing Layup
08-22-2011, 12:38 PM
Durant, and it's not even close.

28renyoy
08-22-2011, 12:44 PM
Bulls fans are so ridiculous

ThaSwagg3r
08-22-2011, 06:34 PM
Durant > biggest shotjacking PG in the NBARose only shot jacks because nobody else is capable of making shots. He has Boozer, but he disappeared in the playoffs. Nobody else on his team can create their own shot at all. Maybe Deng at times but he is certainly not someone you want to rely on.

Durant? He has Westbrook and Harden to rely on to make shots on his team.

All Net
08-22-2011, 06:36 PM
Actually I think this is a fair comparison.

8BeastlyXOIAD
08-22-2011, 07:18 PM
Rose only shot jacks because nobody else is capable of making shots. He has Boozer, but he disappeared in the playoffs. Nobody else on his team can create their own shot at all. Maybe Deng at times but he is certainly not someone you want to rely on.

Durant? He has Westbrook and Harden to rely on to make shots on his team.

lol @ this.

Boozer is a good scorer. It's not his fault Derrick Rose doesn't possess elite playmaking ability like Deron Williams to make Boozer look like a AllStar.

Stop blaming Boozer.

Mr. I'm So Rad
08-22-2011, 07:22 PM
Rose averaged 19.7 FGA per game last season

The exact same as Durant

How is 1 a shotjacker and another isn't? :confusedshrug:

kaiiu
08-22-2011, 07:26 PM
Durant

kaiiu
08-22-2011, 07:27 PM

The exact same as Durant

Lebron took 18 shots a game last year with Wade and Bosh last year yet u ever hear someone cal him a "shotjacker" :lol

ThaSwagg3r
08-22-2011, 07:34 PM

The exact same as Durant

I am guessing it is because Durant is efficient while Rose isn't.

lol @ this.

Boozer is a good scorer. It's not his fault Derrick Rose doesn't possess elite playmaking ability like Deron Williams to make Boozer look like a AllStar.

Stop blaming Boozer.
If you need someone to make you look like an all-star then you aren't really an all-star. That is called being a product of a system. People said the same thing about Amare when he was on the Suns. People all thought Amare would have been terrible and exposed when he left the Suns for the Knicks.

Even if Boozer is a good scorer, he is complete crap on defense. There is a reason why the in the ECF the Heat always used a screen with the the man Boozer was guarding.

Mr. I'm So Rad
08-22-2011, 07:50 PM
I am guessing it is because Durant is efficient while Rose isn't.

Durant made 0.4 more shots than Rose while shooting the exact same number of shots per game. Is 0.4 more makes really that much more efficient?

ThaSwagg3r
08-22-2011, 08:26 PM
Durant made 0.4 more shots than Rose while shooting the exact same number of shots per game. Is 0.4 more makes really that much more efficient?
Durant's FG%, TS%, and eFG% are all higher than Rose's, and it is significantly higher in the playoffs.

Mr. I'm So Rad
08-22-2011, 08:45 PM
Durant's FG%, TS%, and eFG% are all higher than Rose's, and it is significantly higher in the playoffs.

Well yeah it was better in the playoffs for sure, but that is also a product of their respective types of teams.

But his FG% is slightly higher (46% compared to 45%) because he made 0.4 more shots than Rose, and his eFG% and TS% are higher because he shot more 3's and FT's than Rose.

I'm not trying to argue one over the other, I'm just trying to see a common ground

D-Wade316
08-22-2011, 08:56 PM
Both are legit franchise players and the future of the league.
:facepalm
What bad players are going to inherit the throne of the NBA.

pauk
08-22-2011, 08:58 PM

The exact same as Durant

1 hits 46% of those shots in the season and 45% in the playoffs with 20 FG attempts a game....... and is a perimeter player that is supposed to score and can score efficiently...

1 hits 44% of those shots in the season and 39% (24% 3PT) in the playoffs with 24 FG attempts a game....... and is a god damn pointguard (the role of an unselfish playmaker/passer last time i checked)...

GreatGreg
08-22-2011, 09:42 PM
1 hits 44% of those shots in the season and 39% (24% 3PT) in the playoffs with 24 FG attempts a game....... and is a god damn pointguard (the role of an unselfish playmaker/passer last time i checked)...
45 and 40 asshole, stop deflating his stats.
He also averaged 8 assists, which isn't bad at all for a team that doesn't have a legit 2-guard.

inthenickoftime
08-22-2011, 09:48 PM
Well yeah it was better in the playoffs for sure, but that is also a product of their respective types of teams.

But his FG% is slightly higher (46% compared to 45%) because he made 0.4 more shots than Rose, and his eFG% and TS% are higher because he shot more 3's and FT's than Rose.

I'm not trying to argue one over the other, I'm just trying to see a common ground

This.... their efficiency as far a the regular season is pretty close, during the playoffs of course it takes a turn for the worst in terms of Rose though so both are shotjackers if you wanna put it that way, and yes Rose is a point who should create for his team but offensively his team really isn't that great and if he doesn't score they don't win

pauk
08-22-2011, 09:51 PM
45 and 40 asshole, stop deflating his stats.
He also averaged 8 assists, which isn't bad at all for a team that doesn't have a legit 2-guard.

oh excuse me... that instantly makes him a completey efficient player.... i dont mind 45% or 40% FG.... but not with 20-30 FG a game... especially not from the pointguard position.......... thats detrimental to the teams success.... which will be shown when it matters (and it has)....

and cut that assist crap plz........ averaging 7-8 apg as a balldominant-ballhoging POINTGUARD that plays that heavy minutes is bad or mediocre at best... rose can do better.... but he is to busy wanting to be a shotjacking pg a la allen iverson or something like that...

if a smallforward can average 30 ppg with 9 assists a game.... (lebron)... then i expect a balldominant superstar POINTGUARD to get at least 9 assists (unless he also averages 30+ points a game?)......... if he doesnt... then he is either:

1. shotjacking

2. his court vision / passing ability is PATHETIC

3. combination of both

Duncan21formvp
08-22-2011, 10:11 PM
Who is better to you right now and who would you rather have?

Rose in 2011 RS
25 ppg, 8 apg, 4 rpg with 45% shooting, 33% 3P shooting, 55% TS, and 49% eFG

Led his team to the #1 seed in the East and #1 record in the NBA with 62-20. Rose was also named the 2010-2011 MVP.

Durant in 2011 RS
28 ppg, 7 rpg, 3 apg with 46% shooting, 35% 3P shooting, 59% TS, and 51% eFG

Led his team to the #4 seed in the West and 7th best record in the NBA with a record of 55-27. Durant was ranked 5th in the 2010-2011 MVP voting.

Rose in 2011 Playoffs
27 ppg, 8 apg, 4 rpg, 40% shooting, 25% 3P shooting, 50% TS, and 43% eFG.

Lost in the ECF to the Heat in 5

Durant in 2011 Playoffs
29 ppg, 8 rpg, 3 apg, 45% shooting, 34% 3P shooting, 58% TS, and 50% eFG.

Lost in the WCF to the Mavericks in 5.

Recommendation: ignore all of joyner/28ren's posts. I am sure we all want mature and intelligent insights here.

Who ya got?

Rose for sure. Already won MVP and led team to best record in the league without having another allstar on his team.

Celtics4ever
08-22-2011, 10:11 PM
You would be stupid to not pick Derrick Rose. He is a more complete player, better leader, killer instinct, better passer, you name it.

Durant is one dimensional and not a leader.

97 bulls
08-22-2011, 10:46 PM
I think its too close to call. They both bring something different to the table. I think I'm partial to rose cuz he's. Much more electrifying. But I wouldn't mind durant either.

chazzy
08-22-2011, 10:49 PM
Durant

Ikill
08-23-2011, 10:31 AM
Durant being more efficient means he is a better scorer not less of a shotjacker. A shotjacker is a guy that takes a lot of bad shots this is exactly what Durant does Rose doesn't take as many bad shots.

Samurai Swoosh
08-23-2011, 10:40 AM
I think its too close to call. They both bring something different to the table. I think I'm partial to rose cuz he's. Much more electrifying. But I wouldn't mind durant either.
It really is ...

For as much as people praise Durant's effecient scoring, Rose brings more to the table in all around game, and he's shown a legitimate case for improving every summer.

Durant hasn't really added anything to his game in 4 seasons.

OKC Thunder and Durant homers aside, this is a lot closer than you think, and the slight edge so far actually goes to the reigning MVP.

Samurai Swoosh
08-23-2011, 10:43 AM
Rose doesn't take as many bad shots.
He really doesn't. If you watched him his first two season you'd know how high of a bball IQ the kid has ... people refuse to mention context when they talk Rose. This season he was essentially the PG and SG. He had to create for others (NO ONE on the team can create @ a high level besides him) and he had to make up in the scoring department for not only Keith Bogans and Ronnie Brewer at the SG position, but also for Carlos Boozer's remedial play that kicked in sometime around late November / early December. All while carrying the team through major injuries to Boozer, and Noah.

Bigsmoke
08-23-2011, 10:52 AM
Durant is my favorite to win the MVP next season....

Samurai Swoosh
08-23-2011, 10:55 AM
Durant is my favorite to win the MVP next season....
It's virtually already etched in stone. I mean LeBron and Wade canceled each other out. One of them would have to take a HUGE back seat statistically for the other to even get recognition. Rose, he isn't winning back to back MVPs. The only other legit option is Durant. Media darling, and new golden boy.

Rnbizzle
08-23-2011, 11:01 AM
It's virtually already etched in stone. I mean LeBron and Wade canceled each other out. One of them would have to take a HUGE back seat statistically for the other to even get recognition. Rose, he isn't winning back to back MVPs. The only other legit option is Durant. Media darling, and new golden boy.
Don't count out Melo just yet.

Dbrog
08-23-2011, 11:01 AM
Durant easily simply because he doesn't need the ball in his hands to be affective. DRose is just a Stevie Franchise on crack anyway :p

Samurai Swoosh
08-23-2011, 11:03 AM
Don't count out Melo just yet.
I won't count him out, but Durant is already on pace to surpassing him as a player, might have already done it. 2x scoring titles. Does the only thing Melo does well, just as good if not better. I don't see Melo doing it while sharing a court with Amare. Not enough all around impact.

Rnbizzle
08-23-2011, 11:05 AM
I won't count him out, but Durant is already on pace to surpassing him as a player, might have already done it. 2x scoring titles. Does the only thing Melo does well, just as good if not better. I don't see Melo doing it while sharing a court with Amare. Not enough all around impact.
OKC has been good the last couple of years, if NY can get a solid record next year and Melo is clearly their best player (which I think he is), can you imagine the kind of media hype they'd be getting for putting the Knicks back on the map?

Bigsmoke
08-23-2011, 11:09 AM
Durant easily simply because he doesn't need the ball in his hands to be affective. DRose is just a Stevie Franchise on crack anyway :p

**** out of here with dat shit.

Samurai Swoosh
08-23-2011, 11:12 AM
Melo is clearly their best player (which I think he is)
You're wrong. At worst Amare is just as good.

ThaSwagg3r
08-23-2011, 11:04 PM
Durant being more efficient means he is a better scorer not less of a shotjacker. A shotjacker is a guy that takes a lot of bad shots this is exactly what Durant does Rose doesn't take as many bad shots.
A shot jacker is someone who shoots a lot of shots, takes bad selections, and misses most of their shots. Using your definition you mind as well call Dirk a shotjacker because some of the shit he throws up looks impossible to make.

knickswin
08-23-2011, 11:10 PM

I would like to hear a good case for Amar'e being better than Carmelo . . .

LosBulls
08-24-2011, 01:24 AM

You do realize Rose was guarding LeBron and D Wade who both are twice his size and still had to convert on the offensive end right?

All Net
08-24-2011, 04:28 AM
He was favourite this past season too

It's only a matter of time but it depends on how good of a record thunder have.

airchibundo507
08-30-2011, 04:49 PM

gtfo

ThaSwagg3r
09-20-2011, 02:48 AM
You do realize Rose was guarding LeBron and D Wade who both are twice his size and still had to convert on the offensive end right?
Rose did not guard LeBron at any point in the ECF, but he did cover Wade. Lebron was being guarded by Deng at least 95% of the time and I'm guessing the other 5% of the time Lebron was being covered by Brewer or Korver.

I think you mean Durant doesn't need to ball in his hands to create his own shot because he doesn't really impact the game outside of his scoring. Derrick Rose can at least get his teammates involved when he is having a cold shooting night.