PDA

View Full Version : Drazen Petrovic is the best shooter ever played in NBA

Jan95
08-22-2011, 04:50 PM
His scoring abilities were showed first in the Europe... I think that he could achieve a lot more if there would not be this sad accident...

YUBA most points scored by an individual in a league game -112
ACB most points scored by an individual in a final series game 42
ACB most 3PT field goals made by an individual in a final series game 8
NBA 1991-92 second highest 3PT field goal percentage (.444
NBA 1991-92 fourth highest field goal percentage among guards (.508
NBA 1992-93 second highest 3PT field goal percentage (.449)
NBA 1992-93 second highest field goal percentage among guards (.518
NBA third best career 3PT field goal percentage (.437)

He wasnt even 30 yet... there were at least 5 more pro years here in NBA... but he already showed the world how good he is. He was perfectionist...

Euroleague
08-22-2011, 04:52 PM
Not as good of a 3 point shooter as Steve Novak or Shane Heal.

kaiiu
08-22-2011, 04:54 PM
not even a top 5 shooter who played in the 90s

Price
Bird
Reggie
Ray
Mullin
Nash
Dirk

:lol

Jan95
08-22-2011, 05:01 PM

Price
Bird
Reggie
Ray
Mullin
Nash
Dirk

Take a look at his game and then talk...

Butters
08-22-2011, 05:11 PM
Take a look at his game and then talk...

A person who really knows how Drazen played wouldn't copy/paste stupid "accomplishments" off his wiki page.

At his absolute peak he could get you 20 per game on good percentages.Nothing more.

Euroleague
08-22-2011, 05:17 PM

Price
Bird
Reggie
Ray
Mullin
Nash
Dirk

He was a better shooter than all of those players.

Euroleague
08-22-2011, 05:17 PM
A person who really knows how Drazen played wouldn't copy/paste stupid "accomplishments" off his wiki page.

At his absolute peak he could get you 20 per game on good percentages.Nothing more.

And you have never in your life seen him play.

donald_trump
08-22-2011, 05:25 PM
he is one of the greatest shooters ever.

i'd put him in the top 6 along with nash, bird, mullin, allen and reggie.

ranking him anywhere between 1-4 would probably be about right.

bizil
When I think of the great shooters, I think about guys who are great 3 ball and midrange shooters. U can't just be Steve Kerr or Kyle Korver type. Or a guy who can win a 3 point shootout. You have to be known as a very good-great scorer in addition. I'm talking about guys like:

Bird
West (I know he was pullin way beyond 3 range before the line was around)
Ray Ray
Miller
Rice
Ellis
Dirk
Peja
Mark Price
Drazen
Mullin
Nash

Drazen in my book was in that group of guys when it came to shooting. Guys that could get you u 25-30 points a night. Or a PG like Nash or Price would get u 18-20 a night. But I can't say Petro is the best cause he was taken from us WAY too soon. But he was one of the great shooters of all time no doubt.

crosso√er

Price
Bird
Reggie
Ray
Mullin
Nash
Dirk

Uhm he was arguably better then all of them. Petro was an absolute sharp-shooter.

Jan95
08-22-2011, 06:09 PM

I thought this would be appropriate for a start.

He was pure hard worker, he couldnt do anything else than be in the jim. Take a look at the ESPN documentary film about him and Divac. He was able to shot from long range or finish with sweet lay-up. He was able to make his own chances to score, not like Ray, that I consider as a player that need so called "good ball".

LBJDWADE63
08-22-2011, 06:17 PM

Price
Bird
Reggie
Ray
Mullin
Nash
Dirk

dont take this ******** serious. He knows nothin about basketball.

kaiiu
08-22-2011, 06:20 PM
dont take this ******** serious. He knows nothin about basketball.
U mad as fvck booiiiiiiiii. Dont lebrick be airballin free throws? :oldlol:

LBJDWADE63
08-22-2011, 06:22 PM
U mad as fvck booiiiiiiiii. Dont lebrick be airballin free throws? :oldlol:

:lol :lol :lol

get a life. i feel bad for you

FatComputerNerd
08-22-2011, 06:51 PM
Best shooter ever is a tossup between Nash and Mark Price :rockon:

I might give Nash the slight edge since he had more 40/50/90 seasons.

Petro' was awesome though. He would have been remembered as an all-time great if he'd stuck around a bit longer. His death was one of the great tragedies in NBA history. As it sits, no one but the more hardcore NBA fans have ever even heard of him, which is really sad.

Vintage Petro':

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=klLp7mMbfGA

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8lqi4rd6y38

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HLlPtBsGbYo

InspiredLebowski
08-22-2011, 06:53 PM

Petro' was awesome though. He would have been remembered as an all-time great if he'd stuck around a bit longer. His death was one of the great tragedies in NBA history. As it sits, no one but the more hardcore NBA fans have ever even heard of him, which is really sad.Well, and all of Europe. But who's counting?

get these NETS
08-22-2011, 06:59 PM
I'm one of the biggest Petro fans outside of eastern Europe..and THIS thread is bullshit.

Smoke117
08-22-2011, 07:00 PM
<----------

Droid101
08-22-2011, 07:01 PM

Psh, 40/50/90? Nashty Nash almost had two 50/50/90's. Unheard of.

Steve Nash, GOAT shooter.

FatComputerNerd
08-22-2011, 07:06 PM
Well, and all of Europe.

True, hehe. I am an Ameritard and forget about these things. :oldlol:

FatComputerNerd
08-22-2011, 07:07 PM
Psh, 40/50/90? Nashty Nash almost had two 50/50/90's. Unheard of.

Steve Nash, GOAT shooter.

Agreed. That's why I said I give the edge to Nash even though I grew up rooting for Price.

QuebecBaller
08-22-2011, 07:14 PM
http://basketblog.fr/images/antoine_walker_291110.jpg

"best shooter thread? here I am"

Rnbizzle
08-22-2011, 07:59 PM
Give Stephen Curry a couple more years, he's coming for the crown..

Euroleague
08-22-2011, 08:53 PM
I still say the two best shooters I have seen in the NBA are Steve Novak and Shane Heal. Although Petrovic is way up there.

RRR3
08-22-2011, 08:58 PM
I still say the two best shooters I have seen in the NBA are Steve Novak and Shane Heal. Although Petrovic is way up there.

Steve Novak lol. Strictly bench material. He can't create his own shots or he would start.

LJJ
08-23-2011, 12:40 AM

:roll:

Shane Heal and his 97 career points in the NBA can GTFO. He's not in the same stratosphere as Petrovic as an NBA shooter, that's why he only has 97 career points and was in the NBA for not even one full season.

Novak is a scrub role player (still 100x better than Shane Heal) who cannot hold Petrovic's jock. Dude is only allowed to shoot the ball when he is wide open and plays 9.4 mpg for his career. That should tell you all you need to know about his shooting ability in comparison to Petrovic. Novak is not even on the radar. Novak is not even one of the 1000 best shooters in NBA history, let alone better than Drazen Petrovic.

DuMa
08-23-2011, 01:03 AM
Petrovic's euro game was too ahead of its time. He died in his prime at 29 and couldve been a greater shooter well into his 30s. he had the correct fundamentals and great ball-handling skills for a guard. but somehow the nets didnt want to renew his contract. Ill never understand why they didnt, Petrovic was a star in the making for the Nets.

As a shooter, he was a great. but there have been far too many great shooters in NBA history worthy of being called the best shooter. I think its a title too hard to determine and its not worthy leaving out the other great shooters.

Walker
08-23-2011, 04:45 AM

Shane Heal and his 97 career points in the NBA can GTFO. He's not in the same stratosphere as Petrovic as an NBA shooter, that's why he only has 97 career points and was in the NBA for not even one full season.

Novak is a scrub role player (still 100x better than Shane Heal) who cannot hold Petrovic's jock. Dude is only allowed to shoot the ball when he is wide open and plays 9.4 mpg for his career. That should tell you all you need to know about his shooting ability in comparison to Petrovic. Novak is not even on the radar. Novak is not even one of the 1000 best shooters in NBA history, let alone better than Drazen Petrovic.
Heal was 32 when he played in the NBA, much like the other GREAT Australian Basketball player, Andrew Gaze, the American audience didn't see him at his best. As a pure shooter he is without doubt one of the best ever seen.
Unfortunately given his size and inability to run a team as a PG (at that level of compitition) he didn't last at all in the NBA.

Euroleague
08-23-2011, 05:50 AM

You just earned a permanent ignore.

Nick Young
08-23-2011, 05:59 AM
Heal was 32 when he played in the NBA, much like the other GREAT Australian Basketball player, Andrew Gaze, the American audience didn't see him at his best. As a pure shooter he is without doubt one of the best ever seen.
Unfortunately given his size and inability to run a team as a PG (at that level of compitition) he didn't last at all in the NBA.
Prime Shane Heal would be a 3rd string bench scrub, just like the current best Australian PG Patty Mills is.

East_Stone_Ya
08-23-2011, 06:05 AM
His scoring abilities were showed first in the Europe... I think that he could achieve a lot more if there would not be this sad accident...

YUBA most points scored by an individual in a league game -112
ACB most points scored by an individual in a final series game 42
ACB most 3PT field goals made by an individual in a final series game 8
NBA 1991-92 second highest 3PT field goal percentage (.444
NBA 1991-92 fourth highest field goal percentage among guards (.508
NBA 1992-93 second highest 3PT field goal percentage (.449)
NBA 1992-93 second highest field goal percentage among guards (.518
NBA third best career 3PT field goal percentage (.437)

He wasnt even 30 yet... there were at least 5 more pro years here in NBA... but he already showed the world how good he is. He was perfectionist...

Greatest? WTF is this nonsense bull-do-doo:facepalm
I would even rank Rex Chapman over him, just because his career was cut short doesnt give you right to imagine nonsense:banghead:

and yes i am a hater

Euroleague
08-23-2011, 06:07 AM
Greatest? WTF is this nonsense bull-do-doo:facepalm
I would even rank Rex Chapman over him, just because his career was cut short doesnt give you right to imagine nonsense:banghead:

Your post is nonsense. Reggie Miller and Larry Bird have both said that Petrovic was the best shooter they ever saw. So it is sure the hell not any "nonsense" for him to have made such a topic post.

East_Stone_Ya
08-23-2011, 06:20 AM
Your post is nonsense. Reggie Miller and Larry Bird have both said that Petrovic was the best shooter they ever saw. So it is sure the hell not any "nonsense" for him to have made such a topic post.

no player with such a short career should never be considered as greatest..ever

Walker
08-23-2011, 06:45 AM
Prime Shane Heal would be a 3rd string bench scrub, just like the current best Australian PG Patty Mills is.
He'd have been a shooter, he's great at that. Like I said he's not a good PG so....
And Mills ain't the best Australian PG, Kyrie Irving says hi :applause:

moaz
08-23-2011, 06:45 AM
Why does James Dean always come to my mind whenever Petrovic is mentioned? (actually whenever his ultimate greatness sis mentioned)

Clutch
08-23-2011, 08:31 AM
Petrović is GOD here in Croatia. :bowdown: :bowdown: :bowdown:
One of the greatest European players of all time.
R.I.P

LJJ
08-23-2011, 12:08 PM

Bullshit, Heal also played in the league at age 26.

Dana Barros couldn't run a team either and was even smaller than Heal, yet he played very good in the league over 10 seasons. Heal could simply not shoot at the NBA level. The NBA was way above his ability in any aspect of the game.

pauk
08-23-2011, 12:28 PM
1. Miller Time
2. Larry Bird
3. Ray Allen
4. Drazen Petrovic
5. Glen Rice
6. Dale Ellis
7. mitch richmond
8. Jerry West
9. Chris Mullin
10. Rick Barry

all 10 are TIER 1 in this department tho... so....

DJ Leon Smith
08-23-2011, 01:34 PM
Craig Hodges is in that top tier as well.

Petro might not be #1, but he's in the top 1% at the very least. If you think otherwise then you're a weak era/career wasn't long enough/Euro-hating/retard.

MontaHardaway
08-23-2011, 01:40 PM
:facepalm at these top 10 lists.

best shooters ever

1. Tie Michael Jordan/Larry Bird
2. Kobe Bryant
3. Reggie Miller
4. Ray Allen
real talk

get these NETS
08-23-2011, 01:41 PM
chuck person was doing reggie miller type heroics for the pacers in the playoffs too....don't think he ever did it in MSG...so it's not talked about as much... he had some battles with Bird though.

Soothing Layup
08-23-2011, 02:02 PM
1. Miller Time
2. Larry Bird
3. Ray Allen
4. Drazen Petrovic
5. Glen Rice
6. Dale Ellis
7. mitch richmond
8. Jerry West
9. Chris Mullin
10. Peja
all 10 are TIER 1 in this department tho... so....

You are retarded:)

NO way in hell is reggie miller better than ray allen, reggie has said many times that ray is the best ever. followed by reggie then drazen, which larry bird also said was the greatest shooter he had ever seen.

The right list.
1. Ray Allen
2. Drazen Petrovic/reggie miller
3. Reggie miller/drazen
4. Larry Bird
5. Glen Rice
6. Dale Ellis
7. mitch richmond
8. Jerry West
9. Chris Mullin
10. Peja

pauk
08-23-2011, 03:07 PM
:facepalm at these top 10 lists.

best shooters ever

1. Tie Michael Jordan/Larry Bird
2. Kobe Bryant
3. Reggie Miller
4. Ray Allen
real talk

michael jordan and better yet kobe? shooters?

pauk
08-23-2011, 03:11 PM
You are retarded:)

NO way in hell is reggie miller better than ray allen, reggie has said many times that ray is the best ever. followed by reggie then drazen, which larry bird also said was the greatest shooter he had ever seen.

The right list.
1. Ray Allen
2. Drazen Petrovic/reggie miller
3. Reggie miller/drazen
4. Larry Bird
5. Glen Rice
6. Dale Ellis
7. mitch richmond
8. Jerry West
9. Chris Mullin
10. Peja

its just respect and kindness for his pupile....

Larry bird said Reggie was a better shooter than him once
in the 90s Reggie said Drazen Petrovic was the best shooter he has ever seen
Drazen said in the 90s that Larry Bird was the best shooter ever

Reggie Miller has said that about at least 6 players.... glen rice... dale ellis.. dell curry... drazen petrovic... larry bird and now ray allen...

FACT IS.... REGGIE MILLER - LARRY BIRD WERE THE BEST SHOOTERS EVER....

Ray Allen has the most beautiful stroke out of the bunch.... but he was not as efficient and exactly as versatile of a shooter as those guys......... but close

Walker
08-24-2011, 12:03 AM
Bullshit, Heal also played in the league at age 26.

Dana Barros couldn't run a team either and was even smaller than Heal, yet he played very good in the league over 10 seasons. Heal could simply not shoot at the NBA level. The NBA was way above his ability in any aspect of the game.
Couldn'shoot at a NBA level? lol what? How exactly is shooting any different regardless of where you play?
And don't even try to say the defenders are better blah blah cause if you ever saw Heal you'd know getting blocked wasn't even close to an issue.
At that time the NBA had the shortest 3pt line in the world, if anything shooting in the NBA is easier than anywhere else....

LJJ
08-24-2011, 04:44 AM
Couldn'shoot at a NBA level? lol what? How exactly is shooting any different regardless of where you play?
And don't even try to say the defenders are better blah blah cause if you ever saw Heal you'd know getting blocked wasn't even close to an issue.
At that time the NBA had the shortest 3pt line in the world, if anything shooting in the NBA is easier than anywhere else....

If shooting in the NBA is not any different and "easier" than anywhere else, then why the **** did Shane Heal shoot under 30% from the field?

The dude could not shoot at the NBA level period. If you do not know why shooting in the NBA is different (because apparently you've never watched the NBA?), you should ask your buddy Shane Heal what's so different about it. Since he is the one who's shooting percentage dropped 20 percentage points when he went there.

DJ Leon Smith
08-24-2011, 06:22 AM
To be fair, Heal did set a Wolves record of most threes made in a quarter (not sure if it still stands though).

Having said that, he should be nowhere near a "best NBA shooters of all-time" discussion.

Walker
08-24-2011, 08:40 AM

If shooting in the NBA is not any different and "easier" than anywhere else, then why the **** did Shane Heal shoot under 30% from the field?

The dude could not shoot at the NBA level period. If you do not know why shooting in the NBA is different (because apparently you've never watched the NBA?), you should ask your buddy Shane Heal what's so different about it. Since he is the one who's shooting percentage dropped 20 percentage points when he went there.
Clear case of someone looking at just the stats. Never even saw him did you.
In games where he played decent minutes and took a good number of shots he was shooting around 45% from 3pt range, virtually the only shots he took.
Games where he played 5 or so minutes and took 1 or 2 shots dragged the % way down.
Here I'll even make it easy for you:
http://www.basketball-reference.com/play-index/pgl_finder.cgi?request=1&player=healsh01&match=game&year_min=1997&year_max=2004&age_min=0&age_max=99&team_id=&opp_id=&is_playoffs=N&game_num_min=0&game_num_max=99&game_month=&game_location=&game_result=&is_starter=&is_active=&is_hof=&pos=&c1stat=&c1comp=gt&c1val=&c2stat=&c2comp=gt&c2val=&c3stat=&c3comp=gt&c3val=&c4stat=&c4comp=gt&c4val=&order_by=pts

If given a steady 15mins a night those career percentages would be WAY higher.
Did he deserve those minutes? I don't think so no, all he could do was shoot.
And for the record I don't now/never did like Heal, hated him infact. But I watched him torch enough teams to know he could shoot the lights out.

LJJ
08-24-2011, 09:14 AM
Clear case of someone looking at just the stats. Never even saw him did you.
In games where he played decent minutes and took a good number of shots he was shooting around 45% from 3pt range, virtually the only shots he took.
Games where he played 5 or so minutes and took 1 or 2 shots dragged the % way down.
Here I'll even make it easy for you:
http://www.basketball-reference.com/play-index/pgl_finder.cgi?request=1&player=healsh01&match=game&year_min=1997&year_max=2004&age_min=0&age_max=99&team_id=&opp_id=&is_playoffs=N&game_num_min=0&game_num_max=99&game_month=&game_location=&game_result=&is_starter=&is_active=&is_hof=&pos=&c1stat=&c1comp=gt&c1val=&c2stat=&c2comp=gt&c2val=&c3stat=&c3comp=gt&c3val=&c4stat=&c4comp=gt&c4val=&order_by=pts

If given a steady 15mins a night those career percentages would be WAY higher.
Did he deserve those minutes? I don't think so no, all he could do was shoot.
And for the record I don't now/never did like Heal, hated him infact. But I watched him torch enough teams to know he could shoot the lights out.

Really? You are using three games in a 50 game career as proof that he could shoot?

Going by your link Shane Heal played more than 15 minutes in a game four times, giving shooting performances of 0-8, 3-6, 1-5 and 2-5. The man was an awful shooter at the NBA level. I don't care what the reason was, it's the cold hard truth.

Walker
08-24-2011, 09:25 AM
Really? You are using three games in a 50 game career as proof that he could shoot?

Going by your link Shane Heal played more than 15 minutes in a game four times, giving shooting performances of 0-8, 3-6, 1-5 and 2-5. The man was an awful shooter at the NBA level. I don't care what the reason was, it's the cold hard truth.
Ahem:
13mins 5-9
12mins 3-5
11mins 2-4
12mins 2-5
13mins 1-3
15mins 1-4
15mins 1-3
14mins 1-2
12mins 1-4

43% kinda ruins your cold hard truth don't it champ lol

LJJ
08-24-2011, 09:32 AM
Ahem:
13mins 5-9
12mins 3-5
11mins 2-4
12mins 2-5
13mins 1-3
15mins 1-4
15mins 1-3
14mins 1-2
12mins 1-4

43% kinda ruins your cold hard truth don't it champ lol

This is the factual list.

Stick to facts kid. He shot under 30% for his career. AWFUL by any standard.

I humored you and calculated his shooting in all the games he played over 10 minutes. It was still under 30%, he went 24-84 in games where he got significant burn. Surprise surprise. Awful shooter.

Euroleague
08-24-2011, 06:28 PM

Ignore that LJJ guy. He is just a huge troll. His posts are ridiculous.

The Dream Team even said Heal was the best shooter that I had ever seen.