PDA

View Full Version : Wilson Chandler playing in China for the WHOLE SEASON!!!!!!

bagelred
08-29-2011, 05:02 PM
http://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/id/6907302/wilson-chandler-signs-contract-chinese-team

Wilson Chandler said he has signed a contract with the Zhejiang Guangsha of the Chinese Basketball Association, a move that would essentially preclude him from participating in the 2011-12 NBA season if the lockout ends and the games begin.

The Chinese Basketball Association will not allow players with existing contracts to sign with its teams, so playing in China is only an option for free agents such as Chandler, a restricted free agent who finished the 2010-11 season with the Denver Nuggets.

In addition, the CBA will not allow escape clauses that would allow players to leave the Chinese league in the event the NBA resumes operations. So Chandler would not be a part of the NBA if the season begins on time or even with an abbreviated schedule starting in January or February.

"Maybe I'll lose out," Chandler said. "But I think it can be a great experience. I haven't been in any [labor negotiation] meetings. I can't call it. I'm just taking a risk, at the end of the day."

Grinder
08-29-2011, 05:04 PM
Big loss for the Nuggets.

Heard his deal could is "only" 1.7 mil for the year in China, so if the lockout does end before the season starts he'd be missing out on a lot of cash.

He'll dominate to the tune of 35+ over there.

DuMa
08-29-2011, 05:05 PM
Wilson you dummy. no one offered u an euro spot with an out-clause?

bagelred
08-29-2011, 05:06 PM
Heard his deal could is "only" 1.7 mil per month in China, so if the lockout does end before the season starts he'd be missing out on a lot of cash.

The article says its more than that. Plus, I don't think Wilson wants to be in Denver. I assume next year he'll be unrestricted (not sure how rules work). So this is probably a way of "escaping" his Denver obligation.

Come back to the Knicks, Wilson!!!:banana:

Scoooter
08-29-2011, 05:06 PM
This guy got progressively worse as last season wore on. Maybe he just needs the change of pace.

Grinder
08-29-2011, 05:07 PM
The article says its more than that.

I meant 1.7 mil/year but still even at less than 3 mil/year it's still less than half of what he would have received from pretty much any NBA team.

Theoo's Daddy
08-29-2011, 05:09 PM
this is dumb.. i was wishing he come to the miami heat next season.. Did he go college ?? I don't understand this move.

TheLogo
08-29-2011, 05:09 PM
Chandler better be careful because the Chinese like to beat up black dudes. No racist.

I comment based off of the incidents that occured.

MeLO MvP 15
08-29-2011, 05:12 PM
The article says its more than that. Plus, I don't think Wilson wants to be in Denver. I assume next year he'll be unrestricted (not sure how rules work). So this is probably a way of "escaping" his Denver obligation.

Come back to the Knicks, Wilson!!!:banana:
Sadly the rule currently is that whenever he goes back to the NBA, he'll still be restricted and the same exact situation as right now... Look at what happend with Linas Kleiza, he was restricted and left to Greece for a year then came back and was a restricted FA again (as long as Denver offers a QO).

Btw, if this contract in China is under like $5 mil, Wilson made a mistake (unless he gets some big endorsement money, which is possible). Also, I thought the Chinese league ended in like March, so couldn't he come back for like 1/3 or 1/2 of the year? I read that about Earl Clark.

bagelred
08-29-2011, 05:15 PM
Also, I thought the Chinese league ended in like March, so couldn't he come back for like 1/3 or 1/2 of the year? I read that about Earl Clark.

The NBA season ends in April, so he'll only join for a month? I guess he could come back if Nuggets are in playoffs I suppose. But I doubt that would happen.

ihatetimthomas
08-29-2011, 05:45 PM
Risky move, but its pretty much a lock (no pun intended) that there will be a lock out. Chandler would stand to make more money for an entire season in the NBA, but it would be prorated and who knows when the season would begin. Either way, if the lockout ends, yearly salary will be reduced. So in the end, he might make more money playing an entire year in China opposed half or a 1/3 a year in the NBA.

Rowe
08-29-2011, 06:03 PM
The NBA season ends in April, so he'll only join for a month? I guess he could come back if Nuggets are in playoffs I suppose. But I doubt that would happen.
When the season is over, he'll return as a Restricted Free Agent. He still has to accept his Qualifying Offer, when he does then he'll be a Nugget for I guess maybe 13 games or so in April. That makes him an Unrestricted Free Agent next summer.

I think this is a great career move for him.

He'll get paid well over there, dominate the league, increase his marketability in China, & then return to the NBA to finish the season.

I had said this even before we traded him that Chandler was going to end up having to take the Qualifying Offer and return to be a Free Agent in 2012. There isnt any team this offseason willing to go over the MLE to sign(overpay) him at maybe 5/$45 Million. At the same time there isnt any point in him signing an offer sheet valued at the Full MLE at 5/$33 Million when he can increase his value in a contract year.

Well, he wont be increasing his value playing a 1/2 season out of position at the 3/4 in Denver. He struggled there for a reason because Karl has no clue how to use him effectively the way D'Antoni did.

Euroleague
08-29-2011, 06:07 PM
Do NBA fans actually think there will be an NBA season.............seriously? They have not yet grasped that there will not be one yet?

Euroleague
08-29-2011, 06:08 PM
Big loss for the Nuggets.

Heard his deal could is "only" 1.7 mil for the year in China, so if the lockout does end before the season starts he'd be missing out on a lot of cash.

He'll dominate to the tune of 35+ over there.

The contracts in China are net genius. So double that figure for a comparable NBA salary.

Shepseskaf
08-29-2011, 06:09 PM
Risky move, but its pretty much a lock (no pun intended) that there will be a lock out.
My mind is still resisting this reality. As much as people, in general, know about the lockout, its still going to come as a shock when there's no NBA ball come October.

d.bball.guy
08-29-2011, 06:09 PM
:facepalm

DuMa
08-29-2011, 06:11 PM
I think Wilson needed the cash that badly.

RRR3
08-29-2011, 06:12 PM
I think Wilson needed the cash that badly.
Got a family to feed, huh?

bagelred
When the season is over, he'll return as a Restricted Free Agent. He still has to accept his Qualifying Offer, when he does then he'll be a Nugget for I guess maybe 13 games or so in April. That makes him an Unrestricted Free Agent next summer.

Kleiza spent the entire season in Greece tho. Chandler will be back to accept his QO, & join the Nuggets at the end of the 2011-2012 NBA season to become an Unrestricted Free Agent next summer.

Genius move for Chandler.

A qualifying offer cannot be accepted after March 1. Teams may place a shorter time limit on their qualifying offer, specifying any date between October 1 and March 1 by which it must be accepted. If the deadline passes and the qualifying offer is neither withdrawn nor accepted, then the player continues to be a restricted free agent. The team and player are also still free to negotiate a new contract after the qualifying offer ends -- the deadline only affects the player's ability to accept the qualifying offer.

http://members.cox.net/lmcoon/salarycap.htm#Q37

Nope. Don't work that way.

Rowe
Sadly the rule currently is that whenever he goes back to the NBA, he'll still be restricted and the same exact situation as right now... Look at what happend with Linas Kleiza, he was restricted and left to Greece for a year then came back and was a restricted FA again (as long as Denver offers a QO).

Kleiza spent the entire season in Greece tho. Chandler will be back to join the Nuggets at the end of the 2011-2012 NBA season.

Risky move for Chandler.

But its a bonehead move for Earl Clark because he doesnt have any Qualifying Offer with Orlando to come back to. Heck, Orlando replaced him with Justin Harper for the backup 4/3 positions. When the season ends he'll be without a team, and most NBA & D-League teams will already be set. Considering hes a bust, he should've just waited this out and tried to make a team via training camp.

Rowe
08-29-2011, 06:19 PM
Nope.
:applause: I stand corrected.

CBA regular season technically ends on March 11, thought that would've been time for him to do it.

Well, hes going to have to buy himself out of his contract in February in order to return to get back to accept his Qualifying Offer. There is a "No-Opt Out Clause" but that doesnt mean he cant get his contract terminated. Happens all the time in the CBA with guys being released for all sorts of reasons.

Yeah, now I kinda retract my "Genius move" comment.:violin:

Rowe
08-29-2011, 06:26 PM
My mind is still resisting this reality. As much as people, in general, know about the lockout, its still going to come as a shock when there's no NBA ball come October.
Im not worried. I can live with the season coming back in January.

I'll be shocked if there is no NBA season whatsoever tho.

Right now would be a dead period anyways in terms of NBA news. All of the rosters would've been set following Free Agency, teams would have already made their trades, & really just gearing up for training camp/preseason.

This just means we're going to see another flurry of trades/signings/"amnesty clause" releases once the Lockout is over. The NFL one was fun as hell with all of the speculation of who was going where, but in the NBA we see 10x more trades.

bagelred
08-29-2011, 06:27 PM
:applause: I stand corrected.

CBA regular season technically ends on March 11, thought that would've been time for him to do it.

Well, hes going to have to buy himself out of his contract in February in order to return to get back to accept his Qualifying Offer. There is a "No-Opt Out Clause" but that doesnt mean he cant get his contract terminated. Happens all the time in the CBA with guys being released for all sorts of reasons.

Yeah, now I kinda retract my "Genius move" comment.:violin:

Wrong again. Denver can simply take his qualifying offer away. But he's still restricted.

Rowe
08-29-2011, 06:38 PM
Wrong again. Denver can simply take his qualifying offer away. But he's still restricted.
Wrong. I dont think you understand.

If they retract("take away) their Qualifying Offer, he is free to join a new team. The Qualifying Offer is meant to maintain a player's rights. Taking it away, means Chandler becomes an Unrestricted Free Agent. Like you pointed out he has until March 1st to accept the Qualifying Offer they made to maintain his rights, but if Denver "takes away" his qualifying offer, hes free to join whoever he wants.

I highly doubt they're going to do that. You take away a Qualifying Offer for an end of the bench bum like a Zabian Dowdell.

No such thing as sitting "idly" in the NBA unless you're stashing international draft picks who you've never signed to a NBA contract.

I say this only because Atlanta submitted a Qualifying Offer to Josh Childress for 3 consecutive summers. Although he had signed a 3 year deal in Europe, they kept submitting the qualifying offer to maintain his rights for when he came back. When he did, they signed & traded him to Phoenix for a 2012 2nd rounder. If they had not submitted a Qualifying Offer in, he would've been an Unrestricted Free Agent.

bagelred
08-29-2011, 06:44 PM
Wrong. I dont think you understand.

If they retract("take away) their Qualifying Offer, he is free to join a new team. The Qualifying Offer is meant to maintain a player's rights. Taking it away, means Chandler becomes an Unrestricted Free Agent. Like you pointed out he has until March 1st to accept the Qualifying Offer they made to maintain his rights, but if Denver "takes away" his qualifying offer, hes free to join whoever he wants.

I highly doubt they're going to do that. You take away a Qualifying Offer for an end of the bench bum like a Zabian Dowdell.

No such thing as sitting "idly" in the NBA unless you're stashing international draft picks who you've never signed to a NBA contract.

I say this only because Atlanta submitted a Qualifying Offer to Josh Childress for 3 consecutive summers. Although he had signed a 3 year deal in Europe, they kept submitting the qualifying offer to maintain his rights for when he came back. When he did, they signed & traded him to Phoenix for a 2012 2nd rounder. If they had not submitted a Qualifying Offer in, he would've been an Unrestricted Free Agent.

Sigh.

You just gotta read.

A qualifying offer cannot be accepted after March 1. Teams may place a shorter time limit on their qualifying offer, specifying any date between October 1 and March 1 by which it must be accepted. If the deadline passes and the qualifying offer is neither withdrawn nor accepted, then the player continues to be a restricted free agent. The team and player are also still free to negotiate a new contract after the qualifying offer ends -- the deadline only affects the player's ability to accept the qualifying offer.

So Nuggets give him a QO that ends November 1st. If Wilson doesn't accept by deadline, which he can't because he's playing in China, then offer is taken off the table. But Wilson is STILL restricted.

You make alot of assumptions in your head about the way things work, but you're not reading the fine print.

Rowe
08-29-2011, 06:58 PM
Sigh.

You just gotta read.

So Nuggets give him a QO that ends November 1st. If Wilson doesn't accept by deadline, which he can't because he's playing in China, then offer is taken off the table. But Wilson is STILL restricted.

You make alot of assumptions in your head about the way things work, but you're not reading the fine print.

Its funny you say such a thing. :)

We'll cross the bridge when we get to it, that bridge is how Denver handles this situation in terms of Wilson's options with the team moving forward with the date as to which they retract their QO if not accepted. Obviously, they're going to want to retain his rights and he would be eligible to finish the season in Denver depending on how the CBA season for his team goes.

For now we're all making assumptions of how we believe it'll go down.

MeLO MvP 15
08-29-2011, 07:03 PM
I don't think you guys should waste much time arguing over old CBA rules... it's almost certain that the rules will change, so argue about ifs and using the old rules in a situation where they most likely won't apply.

G-train
08-29-2011, 07:13 PM
http://media.funlol.com/pictures/18079.jpg

bluechox2
08-29-2011, 08:22 PM
glad the knicks traded him before the lockout or we wud of looked even dumber turning down melo and waiting for chandler to turn the corner only to see him go to china for a year

NuggetsFan
08-29-2011, 08:41 PM
I don't think you guys should waste much time arguing over old CBA rules... it's almost certain that the rules will change, so argue about ifs and using the old rules in a situation where they most likely won't apply.

That's what I was thinking.

Anyways not to worried about it right now. NBA has made zero progress so as of right now doesn't even look like there's going to be a season. I wouldn't mind keeping Chandler just don't want Denver to overpay him.

bagelred
08-29-2011, 10:19 PM
glad the knicks traded him before the lockout or we wud of looked even dumber turning down melo and waiting for chandler to turn the corner only to see him go to china for a year

Ya see, but if Wilson wasn't traded, I'm not so sure he goes to China. He loved playing in New York. Chandler was devastated with that trade. He doesn't want to be in Denver, no matter what he says. So the lockout gives him a good reason to do something else.

bagelred
08-29-2011, 10:22 PM
Its funny you say such a thing. :)

We'll cross the bridge when we get to it, that bridge is how Denver handles this situation in terms of Wilson's options with the team moving forward with the date as to which they retract their QO if not accepted. Obviously, they're going to want to retain his rights and he would be eligible to finish the season in Denver depending on how the CBA season for his team goes.

For now we're all making assumptions of how we believe it'll go down.

I'm just making obvious assumptions of what Denver would do logically, based on the current CBA. You were making assumptions about THE RULES OF THE CBA ITSELF. See the difference?

All Net
08-30-2011, 03:34 AM
:wtf:

bdreason
08-30-2011, 03:41 AM
Good for him.

And I'm sorry, but there isn't going to be an NBA season. Might as well get paid to play somewhere. Chandler will clean up in the CBA.

bagelred
08-30-2011, 07:57 AM
Good for him.

And I'm sorry, but there isn't going to be an NBA season. Might as well get paid to play somewhere. Chandler will clean up in the CBA.

Agreed. Looking less and less likely.

Sarcastic
08-30-2011, 09:27 AM
Better to be in China making millions rather than the US making zero.

One season in China won't hurt his career. If anything it might help his game as he will most likely be the best player on the team and get lots of opportunities to improve.

LJJ
08-30-2011, 09:53 AM
Dude is going to be chilling in beautiful Hangzhou for a season while the rest of the NBA is breaking their head over the lockout and is not getting paid.

Even if the lockout is resolved quickly, spending a year abroad in a beautiful city making millions of dollars doesn't sound like a bad experience for a guy in his mid twenties.