PDA

View Full Version : Fear Of A Black Spider-Man

oh the horror
09-13-2011, 01:13 AM
So Marvel chose to reveal the identity of the new Spider-Man in Ultimate Fallout #4 out in shops tomorrow, last night, to USA Today. (We had an earlier version in May, obviously)

And this is how the USA Today audience reacted. These are comments that haven

Loneshot
09-13-2011, 01:16 AM
Yeah, him being hispanic is completely ignored, how lame. Not to mention this is the Ultimate universe, so i don't see the big deal. Those people sound like straight up losers with their bickering. Good ol Puny Parker is still Spidey in the regular universe of Amazing Spider-Man.

http://img84.imageshack.us/img84/5507/1364924bkooe6rf.png

OmniStrife
09-13-2011, 01:19 AM
Man... he probably has 350 inch vertical! :eek:

In all seriousness, I think it's cool.

oh the horror
09-13-2011, 01:21 AM
Man... he probably has 350 inch vertical! :eek:

In all seriousness, I think it's cool.

I do too, and I plan on picking up a copy on wednesday. The kid is half rican, and from brooklyn? Count me in. :oldlol:

BEAST Griffin
09-13-2011, 01:44 AM
Lame.

Superheroes are supposed to be Caucasian.

not serious

Loneshot
09-13-2011, 02:46 AM
I haven't seen you around here in a while, OTH.

TennesseeFan
09-13-2011, 03:24 AM
This one is still my favorite.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/e/e6/Spiderman_unlimited.png.PNG

However, a black Spiderman could be pretty sick.

kaiiu
09-13-2011, 04:19 AM
" this Spiderman kush is stickier than spider web, and its so loud u can smell it ftt. Lauderdale"..

He a ni99a so u kno he smoke the sticky icky

ballup
09-13-2011, 10:02 AM
My favorite quote:

Why should white children not have a comic book hero that they can identify with?

JohnnySic
09-13-2011, 10:40 AM
What's the need to "reboot" existing characters? Why not just create new ones? Ah, right, because that requires creativity.

rezznor
09-13-2011, 11:06 AM
What's the need to "reboot" existing characters? Why not just create new ones? Ah, right, because that requires creativity.
it's an alternate universe, the same one that turned nick fury into samuel jackson

http://i.annihil.us/u/prod/marvel//universe3zx/images/thumb/d/df/Furyult.jpg/406px-Furyult.jpg

http://sidekickedcomics.files.wordpress.com/2010/06/nickfury_520.jpg

Hittin_Shots
09-13-2011, 01:09 PM
it's an alternate universe, the same one that turned nick fury into samuel jackson

http://i.annihil.us/u/prod/marvel//universe3zx/images/thumb/d/df/Furyult.jpg/406px-Furyult.jpg

http://sidekickedcomics.files.wordpress.com/2010/06/nickfury_520.jpg

That was needed, Samuel Jackson has to be in everything...

Keith
09-13-2011, 01:50 PM
More diversity is needed in comics. The ignorant responses show the lack of it.

An unmasked Latin character needs to happen.

JohnnySic
09-13-2011, 02:11 PM
Nothing is more forced than diversity.

bagelred
09-13-2011, 02:14 PM
I hear Peter Parker's girlfriend, Mary Jane, is getting a reboot too.

http://kinglythoughts.files.wordpress.com/2011/06/black-woman-attitude.jpeg

"mmmmmmmm hmmmmmmmmmm.......don't you be telling me you climbing buildings and shit!!! Don't DISRESPECT me. What? Kiss me upside down? Heeeeeeeeeeeeeell no. I don't THINK so!!!..........."

Saintsfan1992
09-13-2011, 03:33 PM
COme on spiderman is a ***** gimmie a black batman :pimp:

Saintsfan1992
09-13-2011, 03:34 PM
I hear Peter Parker's girlfriend, Mary Jane, is getting a reboot too.

http://kinglythoughts.files.wordpress.com/2011/06/black-woman-attitude.jpeg

"mmmmmmmm hmmmmmmmmmm.......don't you be telling me you climbing buildings and shit!!! Don't DISRESPECT me. What? Kiss me upside down? Heeeeeeeeeeeeeell no. I don't THINK so!!!..........."

I didnt even crack a smile Jus a blank face.

:cletus: something like this.

LAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAME

Timmy D for MVP
09-13-2011, 04:00 PM

Money.

Same reason there is less variety in other entertainment movies and video games and such.

It's a risk to create new things, because you don't know how the readers will react to a new character. Actually new characters get created all the time but they don't really catch on enough to get their own book.

But there's another aspect. A big portion of the readers now are us, guys who are between 20-40 years old who grew up on various forms of the classic characters. And since we're the ones buying the (ever increasingly expensive) comics they know that it's a good idea to pander to us.

Now there are other studios that have some good new stuff. Dark Horse and Image, IDW is oooookay if you're into that kind of stuff, but even they have their established titles. And it's hard for them to justify not focusing their attention on their top titles.

I feel like I started one way and went another. Does that make sense?

SCdac
09-13-2011, 04:54 PM
I got no problem with it. Wouldn't be the first black dude in comics.

http://jeffkatz.typepad.com/.a/6a0120a721c2d7970b01539063faa3970b-320wi

Draz
09-13-2011, 05:00 PM
I don't got a problem with it. But when there's people fighting and arguing about White and Black dominance, we got to remember, there really isn't anymore of any other race being involved when we hear and mention Super Hero. A black spiderman can only open up the different varieties of races that can be created or edited, but it may not ever happen.

The outfit looks cool. Just, is it necessary remaking and modifying this spiderman purposely for the sake of the race being changed to? Why not make another?

bagelred
09-13-2011, 05:11 PM
I didnt even crack a smile Jus a blank face.

:cletus: something like this.

LAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAME

This is more of commentary on you...not me.

rezznor
09-13-2011, 05:14 PM
keep in mind this isn't peter parker who is suddenly black. parker is dead in this universe and the black kid is just picking up the mantle and carrying on the legacy

Crystallas
09-13-2011, 05:16 PM
I'd rather support characters that were built off their origins, not some weak attempt to reach a wider audience.

Nothing says that superheroes need to be white.

GiveItToBurrito
09-13-2011, 06:17 PM

Yep, and guys want to save the good new creations for their creator owned books.

I think the costume looks cool, although my favorite is the Scarlet Spider version. That said, I'm not a fan of Marvel departing too much from what people widely view as the standard version of the character. All of these reboots and spin off alternative universes from Marvel and DC are only necessary because of guys trying to make some headline grabbing splash by changing costumes, marrying people, giving Superman alternative costumes, etc.

Loneshot
09-13-2011, 06:47 PM
90% of entertainment is white and people crying about one dude in an alternate universe being black. Damn, i thought you just couldn't be black on this planet, apparently not in any existence is it acceptable.

White people steal Jesus, Rock & Roll, and America, and still complain when they have to share just a little bit of the pie, just a tiny bit. Got damn...

oh the horror
09-13-2011, 10:04 PM
I haven't seen you around here in a while, OTH.

Yep yep, been doing the girlfriend thing lately, so im actually going outside, and into the sunlight. Go figure.

One poster made a point, about changing an already ESTABLISHED character in an "alternate universe" or re-imagined universe, to gain more money.

With something like this, being "alternate" and not affecting the actual "marvel universe" its a calculated risk, and could either pay off, or crash and burn. Either way, they can always change Peter Parker back into the spiderman of that universe, and nothing will be ventured or gained.

Its smart, and possibly from using the "Spiderman" name, they could send this kid into his own character soon enough depending on how it all shapes out.

They did something similar when Superman "died" years ago...they brought in FOUR characters all as "supermen"....

Anyone remember that one? All four eventually became their own characters in DC

Keith
09-13-2011, 11:36 PM
Nothing is more forced than diversity.

Due to the strong racism this country was built on.

Stephen_H
09-14-2011, 03:29 PM
Due to the strong racism this country was built on.

Yes, we must replace one racism with a newer, more potent version which more correctly reflects the changing demographics and cultural sensitivites of the new majority. Right?

Or maybe you are a utopian thinker caught up in idealism refusing to see reality. Perhaps you think we can abolish racism.

:roll:

As illustrated by these maps, people still prefer the company of those who are most like them.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maps_of_American_ancestries

Idealism is necessary in forging the future, sure. But to engage in idealism without being firmly rooted in reality is a fool's errand, a liberal pipedream.

BTW I think there should be more minority superheroes so the children have something positive to aspire to be, instead of making idols out of Illuminati cheerleaders such as Jay-Z or Rihanna.

-p.tiddy-
09-14-2011, 05:57 PM
some of those comments made me lol...racism is funny sometimes

NoGunzJustSkillz
09-14-2011, 06:02 PM
Lame.

Superheroes are supposed to be Caucasian.

not serious
i forget the name, but will smith was a super hero

MeLO MvP 15
09-14-2011, 10:25 PM
I think Donald Glover's attempt to get the Peter Parker role played a huge part of this choice. I love the idea. I seriously can't understand why anyone could be mad about this. You'd have to be really insecure and needy to be mad about a comic changing a guy's race... and they still have the original Peter Parker in the other comics. I do think it's nice to see him being black and Puerto Rican... especially for kids reading it.

kaiiu
09-14-2011, 10:34 PM
i forget the name, but will smith was a super hero
Handcock?:lol that ni99a was a ***

Keith
09-14-2011, 11:59 PM
Yes, we must replace one racism with a newer, more potent version which more correctly reflects the changing demographics and cultural sensitivites of the new majority. Right?

Or maybe you are a utopian thinker caught up in idealism refusing to see reality. Perhaps you think we can abolish racism.

:roll:

As illustrated by these maps, people still prefer the company of those who are most like them.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maps_of_American_ancestries

Idealism is necessary in forging the future, sure. But to engage in idealism without being firmly rooted in reality is a fool's errand, a liberal pipedream.

BTW I think there should be more minority superheroes so the children have something positive to aspire to be, instead of making idols out of Illuminati cheerleaders such as Jay-Z or Rihanna.

What the hell are you talking about? How is it racist having a super hero that's not white?

Racism is ugly but that's the way it is. The super hero would be appreciated by the the latino/black culture. Most white people won't change of course.
It is what is.

The super hero's for us.

oh the horror
09-15-2011, 08:18 PM
What the hell are you talking about? How is it racist having a super hero that's not white?

Racism is ugly but that's the way it is. The super hero would be appreciated by the the latino/black culture. Most white people won't change of course.
It is what is.

The super hero's for us.

The hero is for everyone. What gets me here, is the underlying racism that is actually happening with this reveal of this new character. Why does it have to be a "PC move" or a spectacle just because he happens to be black/latin?

I have a real issue with the people hollering "OH ITS PC"

Uh, its politcally correct for a super hero to be a minority....a FICTIONAL CHARACTER? Who does that benefit? Its NOT REAL.

I believe its underlying racism, and people let it manifest through other paths, rather than flat out saying how they feel. Seeing a dark skinned iconic character BOTHERS them.

JustinJDW
09-16-2011, 02:53 AM
90% of entertainment is white and people crying about one dude in an alternate universe being black. Damn, i thought you just couldn't be black on this planet, apparently not in any existence is it acceptable.

White people steal Jesus, Rock & Roll, and America, and still complain when they have to share just a little bit of the pie, just a tiny bit. Got damn...This. :rockon:

NoName22
09-16-2011, 01:57 PM
Lol @ these white boys getting mad at A FICTIONAL CHARACTER BEING BLACK.

Yall crackers are too sensitive.