PDA

View Full Version : Why don't more players catch the ball instead of swatting it on defense?

Clippersfan86
09-16-2011, 03:17 PM
I was just thinking about how we always see guys swat shots.. or block them in general... but half of the time.. they could of probably just grabbed and held onto the ball and controlled it rather than sending it out of bounds to the other team. Why don't more players just catch the ball? I know super athletic bigs like DJ, McGee and Dwight could easily do this. DeAndre got good this year at swatting it to teammates but why not just catch it?

I understand swatting into the 10th row gets the crowd and team going.. but it's also not a really smart basketball play.

D.J.
09-16-2011, 03:19 PM
It's hard to catch the ball with one hand, even with huge hands. If you swat it but keep it in play, it puts pressure on the other team to re-group and avoid a 24 second violation.

Kensta
09-16-2011, 03:22 PM
Getting a block shot itself is hard. I can't even imagine how much harder it is to catch the ball without it being called a goal tend.

Clippersfan86
09-16-2011, 03:22 PM
It's hard to catch the ball with one hand, even with huge hands. If you swat it but keep it in play, it puts pressure on the other team to re-group and avoid a 24 second violation.

I understand why you block a shot... but how rare is it to catch the ball? I've seen it like 10 times in 15 years of viewing the NBA. Like I said.. I know it's not easy but Dwight, McGee and DJ absolutely have the vertical, reach and hands to do this at least once a game. It shouldn't be a super rare play. I understand the timing required... but I'm talking about defense in the post, not on the perimeter on jumpers.

Clippersfan86
09-16-2011, 03:24 PM
Getting a block shot itself is hard. I can't even imagine how much harder it is to catch the ball without it being called a goal tend.

Dwight averaged 5.5 blocks vs the Hawks in the playoffs. You don't think he could of caught 1 or 2 of those instead of swatting them into the 5th row? It's just something I noticed. If you can get up high enough to smother a shot and swat it really hard... why can't you grab it? Not saying it's easy... but I was wondering why it's such a rare play in basketball, especially for bigmen.

D.J.
09-16-2011, 03:36 PM
Dwight averaged 5.5 blocks vs the Hawks in the playoffs. You don't think he could of caught 1 or 2 of those instead of swatting them into the 5th row? It's just something I noticed. If you can get up high enough to smother a shot and swat it really hard... why can't you grab it? Not saying it's easy... but I was wondering why it's such a rare play in basketball, especially for bigmen.

It's extremely hard to time it. Anyone with good athleticism and a minimal amount of timing can block a shot. But to actually catch it requires insane timing and coordination. Very few can do it and if it does happen, it's usually by dumb luck.

Crown&Coke
09-16-2011, 03:41 PM
I do it all the time with MJ in 2K lol, I double a big guy when he's on the block

But I think its because:
A) Its cooler to smash the shit out of the ball
B) Timing has to be absolutely perfect, have to be ahead of the ball on its way up
C) Not many players have the ability to block shots, let alone time it perfect
D) Its cooler to smash the shit out of the ball.

ThaSwagg3r
09-16-2011, 03:43 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9qjLYrwQeOI

Simply put it is tough to do.

Clippersfan86
09-16-2011, 03:43 PM
I do it all the time with MJ in 2K lol, I double a big guy when he's on the block

But I think its because:
A) Its cooler to smash the shit out of the ball
B) Timing has to be absolutely perfect, have to be ahead of the ball on its way up
C) Not many players have the ability to block shots, let alone time it perfect
D) Its cooler to smash the shit out of the ball.

:oldlol:

Clippersfan86
09-16-2011, 03:44 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9qjLYrwQeOI

Simply put it is tough to do.

:bowdown: . Rodman did it a few times I remember also. I'm sure the great Manute Bol could do it without jumping :lol .

PHILA
09-16-2011, 03:56 PM
It's extremely hard to time it. Anyone with good athleticism and a minimal amount of timing can block a shot. But to actually catch it requires insane timing and coordination. Very few can do it and if it does happen, it's usually by dumb luck.

:applause:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lpufnh4fmRk#t=2m20s

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vXVS2MOh3_E#t=8m7s (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vXVS2MOh3_E#t=8m7s)

ThaRegul8r
09-16-2011, 04:16 PM
I was just thinking about how we always see guys swat shots.. or block them in general... but half of the time.. they could of probably just grabbed and held onto the ball and controlled it rather than sending it out of bounds to the other team. Why don't more players just catch the ball? I know super athletic bigs like DJ, McGee and Dwight could easily do this. DeAndre got good this year at swatting it to teammates but why not just catch it?

I understand swatting into the 10th row gets the crowd and team going.. but it's also not a really smart basketball play.

Dwight Howard, for one, has specifically been told by people that he should try to keep his blocks inbounds rather than spiking the ball out of bounds, but swatting it out of bounds is something he deliberately does and is not going to change:

[quote]No player in the NBA blocks more shots than Dwight Howard, but there

Clippersfan86
09-16-2011, 04:18 PM
Dwight Howard, for one, has specifically been told by people that he should try to keep his blocks inbounds rather than spiking the ball out of bounds, but swatting it out of bounds is something he deliberately does and is not going to change:

So... grabbing the ball to keep it in-bounds and gain possession for your team, essentially turning the other team's attempted shot into a turnover is showing off, but swatting a shot out of bounds isn't.

:facepalm

:applause: Great post dude. I agree 100 percent with you as well as that article clip.

DuMa
09-16-2011, 04:24 PM
the first time is fine. sends a nice message to the other team and the ball shooter.

the 2nd and subsequent times seems excessive. but then again not all shots are the same and not all shot blocks are timed right. most of the time its a finger block and thats all is needed to send it to the 5th row.

and if you can get a full hand on the ball, its likely you're either a tall ass player with long ass arm like dikembe or someone who has insane leaping ability who can only get a full hand because of their athleticism and arms are in the swatting motion.

Clippersfan86
09-16-2011, 04:25 PM
the first time is fine. sends a nice message to the other team and the ball shooter.

the 2nd and subsequent times seems excessive. but then again not all shots are the same and not all shot blocks are timed right. most of the time its a finger block and thats all is needed to send it to the 5th row.

and if you can get a full hand on the ball, its likely you're either a tall ass player with long ass arm like dikembe or someone who has insane leaping ability who can only get a full hand because of their athleticism and arms are in the swatting motion.

McGee, Dwight, DJ and even Bynum all fit into these categories. Best wingspans, standing reaches and even verticals for bigmen (besides Bynum). They definitely should be able to catch 1 a game.

DuMa
09-16-2011, 04:31 PM
i have no doubt they can do it but half the battle is also the timing and the arc of the ball shooter's shot. today's NBA players dont put up garbage shots.

KevinNYC
09-16-2011, 04:40 PM
McGee, Dwight, DJ and even Bynum all fit into these categories. Best wingspans, standing reaches and even verticals for bigmen (besides Bynum). They definitely should be able to catch 1 a game.

Um, do you know what overstatment means?

Are you talking about DJ Mbenga? who has averaged 1.0 blocks only once in his career?

How about JaVale McGee? or Dwight? They averaged 2.4 last year. So to reach your ridiculous one snatch-block per game means that 42% of their blocks should be the hardest type of block to get.

How come guys never do 360 between the legs dunks in games either? We should see like 20 of those every week.

Inactive
09-16-2011, 04:46 PM
Catching a blocked shot is extremely difficult, I doubt we'll ever see much of that. A lot of players swat the ball, when they could keep it in play, though. I guess it's because

A. They still get rewarded with a block in the box score, whether they retain possession, or not.
B. Coaches don't yell at them for it.
C. They don't care that it's more effective to retain possession, and just want to end up on a highlight reel/intimidate their opponent.
D. They're dumb, and it never really occurred to them that it's better to retain possession, than give the other team a second shot.

Droid101
09-16-2011, 04:46 PM
It's really hard to do (talking as someone who does it once in a while when playing in our rec league, I'm 6'9").

However, swatting the shit out of it DOES have a psychological effect regardless of what that stupid quote said. Even if it doesn't demoralize the other team (it usually does), it definitely provides a boost of morale for your own team.

Clippersfan86
09-16-2011, 05:11 PM
It's really hard to do (talking as someone who does it once in a while when playing in our rec league, I'm 6'9").

However, swatting the shit out of it DOES have a psychological effect regardless of what that stupid quote said. Even if it doesn't demoralize the other team (it usually does), it definitely provides a boost of morale for your own team.

It does have a psychological effect for sure but it messes with their head just as much to clown them and just catch the ball. I know it's obviously harder than blocking a shot... but people make it sound like it's impossible. I've done it to players bigger than me and I have an average vertical and I'm only 5'11. If you're lengthy, have good coordination and have good athleticism it should be more frequent than it is. I really think it's a mindset issue. I mean if players in the NFL can block field goal attempts... NBA players can snatch shots out of the air. These are world class athletes we are talking about.

Clippersfan86
09-16-2011, 05:13 PM
Um, do you know what overstatment means?

Are you talking about DJ Mbenga? who has averaged 1.0 blocks only once in his career?

How about JaVale McGee? or Dwight? They averaged 2.4 last year. So to reach your ridiculous one snatch-block per game means that 42% of their blocks should be the hardest type of block to get.

How come guys never do 360 between the legs dunks in games either? We should see like 20 of those every week.

I think you're reading too much into it. I specifically listed those players because they are great athletic shotblockers with amazing wingspans. I'm not saying everyone can or should do it. I'm specifically talking about gifted, shotblocking bigs.

KevinNYC
09-16-2011, 05:34 PM
I think you're reading too much into it. I specifically listed those players because they are great athletic shotblockers with amazing wingspans. I'm not saying everyone can or should do it. I'm specifically talking about gifted, shotblocking bigs.

I think I'm reading exactly the right amount into. And I think you've been watching too many video games.

Let me break it down slower for you.

Talking specifically about gifted shotblocking bigs, TWO specific ones actually: Dwight Howard and JaVale McGee.

Last season Dwight Howard averaged 2.4 blocks a game. (http://www.basketball-reference.com/players/h/howardw01.html).
Javale also average 2.4 blocks a game (http://www.basketball-reference.com/players/m/mcgeeja01.html)

That makes it easy. You're saying these are two types of players who should average at least one catchblock per game. This, when they are not even getting 3 blocks a game--including barely-got-em-end-of-the-fingertips type blocks-- you want them to get 82 once-in-a-blue-moon type blocks.

1 divided 2.4 is .42 or 42%. So you think that 42% of their blocks should be a catch blocks because that is what you are asking. It would require nearly half their blocks to be that spectacular.

It's like asking how come great scorers don't hit one falling out of the corner three per game? It's stuff that you can do routinely in video games, but not in the NBA.

Clippersfan86
09-16-2011, 05:42 PM
I think I'm reading exactly the right amount into. And I think you've been watching too many video games.

Let me break it down slower for you.

Talking specifically about gifted shotblocking bigs, TWO specific ones actually: Dwight Howard and JaVale McGee.

Last season Dwight Howard averaged 2.4 blocks a game. (http://www.basketball-reference.com/players/h/howardw01.html).
Javale also average 2.4 blocks a game (http://www.basketball-reference.com/players/m/mcgeeja01.html)

That makes it easy. You're saying these are two types of players who should average at least one catchblock per game. This, when they are not even getting 3 blocks a game--including barely-got-em-end-of-the-fingertips type blocks-- you want them to get 82 once-in-a-blue-moon type blocks.

1 divided 2.4 is .42 or 42%. So you think that 42% of their blocks should be a catch blocks because that is what you are asking. It would require nearly half their blocks to be that spectacular.

It's like asking how come great scorers don't hit one falling out of the corner three per game? It's stuff that you can do routinely in video games, but not in the NBA.

First off.. you can't do this in a video game that I'm aware of.. so stop acting like an ignorant tard with a stick up his ass. Secondly... let's just say one every couple games then? You're running way too hard with the details of my post when it was a general, vague question. I just said at least 1 a game as an idea, not something set in stone. Let's say one every few games then. Nonetheless why don't we see it more? Instead of berating me like a little di** when you don't know me.. how about you just give an opinion on the topic at hand. We have enough condescending pricks on ISH and don't need another.

I gave specific parameters to the idea of catch blocks such as... post players, inside the paint, great athleticism, great wingspans. It's not like I'm suggesting this on jumpshots etc.. or anything ridiculous. I think this can be done a lot more than players do it. Obviously if they skin the ball with their fingers it's not going to be something they can catch.. SMH.

Clippersfan86
09-16-2011, 05:49 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hPOAeJZV0W0

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ih11QDHSOvk

DJ could of caught both of these. If you can block a shot with your elbow or forearm.. you can catch it. Common sense.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=phJGd1ksND4&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yo0gtwLpZz4&feature=related

Look carefully at these Dwight blocks. Both of them are clearly with the palm of his hand not his fingertips. It would require less energy and timing to go straight up and catch with 1 or 2 hands.. than it would to swat it that hard.

These are just 4 examples. I can post 20 more at least.

Clippersfan86
09-16-2011, 05:51 PM
Here's the proper way for a 7 footer to block a shot. Props to McGee.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dziVjMKgi4w

:applause:

Smoke117
09-16-2011, 05:51 PM
Good news Clippersfan: You won't have to worry about Blake Griffin swatting anything away as he can't block a shot worth a crap or play any defense for that matter come to think of it.

zay_24
09-16-2011, 05:54 PM
Go to the gym, and try to catch the ball, hell even try to get more than ONE block.
When you leave you will have your answer.

Clippersfan86
09-16-2011, 05:55 PM
Good news Clippersfan: You won't have to worry about Blake Griffin swatting anything away as he can't block a shot worth a crap or play any defense for that matter come to think of it.

He's one of the best man defenders for his size as proven by stats. He's actually 1st among PF's and C's in isolation and perimeter scoring attempts as he only allows a basket in 30 percent of these situations. Keep believing what the general population does though and staying misinformed. Yes Blake is a poor interior defender and shotblocker though. Good news for ClippersFANS is that he was just a rookie. You mad?

Clippersfan86
09-16-2011, 05:56 PM
Go to the gym, and try to catch the ball, hell even try to get more than ONE block.
When you leave you will have your answer.

I'm not a 7 footer with elite athleticism and wingspan. Comparing apples to oranges asking an average Joe to go replicate what elite athletes can do. These guys have been playing basketball their entire lives too. Getting coached to read the offense. Me saying 1 a game was just a loose example and clearly unrealistic. Even one every 4 or 5 games though? Why isn't that realistic?

Smoke117
09-16-2011, 06:05 PM
He's one of the best man defenders for his size as proven by stats. He's actually 1st among PF's and C's in isolation and perimeter scoring attempts as he only allows a basket in 30 percent of these situations. Keep believing what the general population does though and staying misinformed. Yes Blake is a poor interior defender and shotblocker though. Good news for ClippersFANS is that he was just a rookie. You mad?

So he's POOR at the most IMPORTANT DEFENSIVE RESPONSIBILITIES OF A BIG MAN...way to make my point for me, thank you.

zay_24
09-16-2011, 06:07 PM
I'm not a 7 footer with elite athleticism and wingspan. Comparing apples to oranges asking an average Joe to go replicate what elite athletes can do. These guys have been playing basketball their entire lives too. Getting coached to read the offense. Me saying 1 a game was just a loose example and clearly unrealistic. Even one every 4 or 5 games though? Why isn't that realistic?
Play against average joes on your level, around the same height, you still would see why. Blocking shots is NOT easy.

Clippersfan86
09-16-2011, 06:08 PM
So he's POOR at the most IMPORTANT DEFENSIVE RESPONSIBILITIES OF A BIG MAN...way to make my point for me, thank you.

I agree with you! Good thing he's a rookie huh??

KevinNYC
09-16-2011, 06:09 PM
First off.. you can't do this in a video game that I'm aware of.. so stop acting like an ignorant tard with a stick up his ass. Secondly... let's just say one every couple games then? You're running way too hard with the details of my post when it was a general, vague question. I just said at least 1 a game as an idea, not something set in stone. Let's say one every few games then. Nonetheless why don't we see it more? Instead of berating me like a little di** when you don't know me.. how about you just give an opinion on the topic at hand. We have enough condescending pricks on ISH and don't need another.

I gave specific parameters to the idea of catch blocks such as... post players, inside the paint, great athleticism, great wingspans. It's not like I'm suggesting this on jumpshots etc.. or anything ridiculous. I think this can be done a lot more than players do it. Obviously if they skin the ball with their fingers it's not going to be something they can catch.. SMH.

Let me just turn your first sentence into a link.
First off.. you can't do this in a video game that I'm aware of.. so stop acting like an ignorant tard with a stick up his ass. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LcQO8DGmsyo&feature=related)

Yes, you said one a game as an idea. A very poorly thought out idea.
No, I don't know you, but I have a pretty good idea that you have a terrible sense of proportion. Condescending prick huh? How about you stop whining and admit you made an overstatement. You know, like a grown up. We could use more grown-ups around here as well.

Again as to your evidence, see above about your sense of proportion. You quoting 25 examples. There are about 12000 blocks per year in the NBA. The fact that you are finding so few proves my point not yours.

Also I see that DJ is DeAndre Jordan, not Mbenga, my point still holds though.

Clippersfan86
09-16-2011, 06:09 PM
Play against average joes on your level, around the same height, you still would see why. Blocking shots is NOT easy.

Thing is these guys aren't equals. You honestly think the slashing guards and wing players.. or even undersized bigs are equal to DJ, McGee, Dwight Howard and Bynum? NO WAY. These guys have top 20 all time NBA wingspans... great vertical leaps and have been blocking shots at a high level since junior high probably. Blocked shots rarely happen on the perimeter. They happen in the post on post moves and slashes to the rim.

Smoke117
09-16-2011, 06:11 PM
I agree with you! Good thing he's a rookie huh??

Players that become anything significant defensively already have those instincts coming into the league. Blake Griffin will never have more then an average impact defensively and that's the main reason he will never touch someone like Duncan and KG. He will never be as good offensively as Dirk, Mchale, Barkley, or Malone. You need to push this guys nuts off your face every once and awhile and breathe in the fresh air.

Clippersfan86
09-16-2011, 06:12 PM
Let me just turn your first sentence into a link.
First off.. you can't do this in a video game that I'm aware of.. so stop acting like an ignorant tard with a stick up his ass. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LcQO8DGmsyo&feature=related)

Yes, you said one a game as an idea. A very poorly thought out idea.
No, I don't know you, but I have a pretty good idea that you have a terrible sense of proportion. Condescending prick huh? How about you stop whining and admit you made an overstatement. You know, like a grown up. We could use more grown-ups around here as well.

Again as to your evidence, see above about your sense of proportion. You quoting 25 examples. There are about 12000 blocks per year in the NBA. The fact that you are finding so few proves my point not yours.

Also I see that DJ is DeAndre Jordan, not Mbenga, my point still holds though.

I just don't think you contributed anything to this thread. Instead of answering the question... you made a point of essentially how unrealistic and stupid my post is. I already admitted my example was vague and implied it may of been a stretch. I didn't need a full blown mathematical breakdown buddy. You were condescending from the first sentence even though you weren't under fire. Based on how you reacted defensively to my OP I'd think I was talking to Dwight himself.

Clippersfan86
09-16-2011, 06:17 PM
Players that become anything significant defensively already have those instincts coming into the league. Blake Griffin will never have more then an average impact defensively and that's the main reason he will never touch someone like Duncan and KG. He will never be as good offensively as Dirk, Mchale, Barkley, or Malone. You need to push this guys nuts off your face every once and awhile and breathe in the fresh air.

I agree again! See we have a lot in common. Blake will likely be an average or slightly above average defender at best. A positional impact defender like Karl Malone and never a shotblocker. What does that mean? Your out of place trolling of Blake is cute. As for how good he will be... we don't know that. He put up 22.5, 12 and 4 while being a lot more raw than any of the guys you listed. None of those guys besides Duncan put up Blake's stats until what their 3rd seasons?

McHale didn't put up 20 ppg until his 6th season when he was 28 :lol . His career best was 26 ppg and dropped off bigtime to 22 the next season. Sure Blake won't be as polished as him probably but the only player he probably CAN'T surpass offensively is Malone and maybe Barkley. Why are you so caught up on Blake though in a thread about catching blocked shots???

KevinNYC
09-16-2011, 06:17 PM

The main reason this type of block doesn't happen more often, is most of the time when you leave your feet you don't have enough info to think this type of block is possible. Mostly it's a one-handed snatch. Well if you mess up the timing of that you could easily miss the block or mess up the catch and give the ball right back.

Even on the examples you give, once you're moving your arm forward you're going to swat it, not grab it. To do it correctly you have to have your arm move backwards in the direction of the balls momemtum, this slows it down and makes it catchable. Sometimes you time it right you could do it with your arm straight up. That usually requires perfect timing. The one time I ever did a catch block (one hand on and then swung my other hand around and took it off his hand) I had no idea it possible on the way up. It was aslo against a player new to basketball A. thought I was giving him the lane. B laid the ball right out in the open.

Clippersfan86
09-16-2011, 06:20 PM
The main reason this type of block doesn't happen more often, is most of the time when you leave your feet you don't have enough info to think this type of block is possible. Mostly it's a one-handed snatch. Well if you mess up the timing of that you could easily miss the block or mess up the catch and give the ball right back.

Even on the examples you give, once you're moving your arm forward you're going to swat it, not grab it. To do it correctly you have to have your arm move backwards in the direction of the balls momemtum, this slows it down and makes it catchable. Sometimes you time it right you could do it with your arm straight up. That usually requires perfect timing. The one time I ever did a catch block (one hand on and then swung my other hand around and took it off his hand) I had no idea it possible on the way up. It was aslo against a player new to basketball A. thought I was giving him the lane. B laid the ball right out in the open.

It's no different than an NFL player catching a football traveling at much greater speeds with 1 hand. In fact.. that's a hell of a lot harder than what I'm suggesting. How coordinated do you really have to be? Players intercept passes all the time. This is A LOT more possible than you guys are making it sound. Players just have the wrong mindset.

If an NFL player can soar off balance... 3 feet into the air... and make a 1 handed grab ala Randy Moss... while the ball is traveling 70 miles per hour... why can't an NBA player as gifted as the ones I specified.. catch a bigger object (easier to target) traveling MUCH slower... once in a while? If Blake Griffin can catch 50 foot alley oop bullet passes... Dwight has the coordination to block more shots by grabbing them. This isn't some complex formula.

Smoke117
09-16-2011, 06:28 PM
I agree again! See we have a lot in common. Blake will likely be an average or slightly above average defender at best. A positional impact defender like Karl Malone and never a shotblocker. What does that mean? Your out of place trolling of Blake is cute. As for how good he will be... we don't know that. He put up 22.5, 12 and 4 while being a lot more raw than any of the guys you listed. None of those guys besides Duncan put up Blake's stats until what their 3rd seasons?

McHale didn't put up 20 ppg until his 6th season when he was 28 :lol . His career best was 26 ppg and dropped off bigtime to 22 the next season. Sure Blake won't be as polished as him probably but the only player he probably CAN'T surpass offensively is Malone and maybe Barkley. Why are you so caught up on Blake though in a thread about catching blocked shots???

Because everything you say is idiotic and pointless. Even this thread...why don't players catch the ball instead of swatting it away...I don't know maybe because that's that not god damn easy? You think it has never come across players minds to try to catch the ball instead of swat it away? Also don't don't compare future Blake Griffin's defense to Karl Malone's please...that's insulting to Karl. Maybe try Larry Johnson as that would be more appropriate

catch24
09-16-2011, 06:30 PM
A lot of it has to to with positioning and timing (obviously). Just off my personal experience, trying to grab the ball midair kind of throws you off latterly and often feels like you're giving the offensive player better positioning to blow by you. Blocking a shot (or in the 'normal stance' of getting ready to contest it) I often feel like I can recover quicker than if I were to go up with both hands.

Might not be why more players don't 'catch the ball' but it's something in my subconscious when I'm playing defense. Angles are definitely vital, see here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KJriDpfgQNs

Clippersfan86
09-16-2011, 06:32 PM
Because everything you say is idiotic and pointless. Even this thread...why don't players catch the ball instead of swatting it away...I don't know maybe because that's that not god damn easy? You think it has never come across players minds to try to catch the ball instead of swat it away? Also don't don't compare future Blake Griffin's defense to Karl Malone's please...that's insulting to Karl. Maybe try Larry Johnson as that would be more appropriate

The beauty of sports is the gamble. You say Larry Johnson.. I saw Malone.. in 10 years we can talk about it. Until then.. your negative opinions don't mean a thing to me. BTW if this was so idiotic.. why has it been a repeated basketball topic among writers, forums and all sorts of fans on controlled blocks/catches vs swats. Even one of the contributors to this thread.. posted an article on it.

If it's something you find stupid why even post in here and just troll me? I don't care if you like me or not... but you don't think it's a bit pointless to post in here with the attitude you have? PM me if you just want to argue for the hell of it. I'll entertain it.

Clippersfan86
09-16-2011, 06:34 PM
A lot of it has to to with positioning and timing (obviously). Just off my personal experience, trying to grab the ball midair kind of throws you off latterly and often feels like you're giving the offensive player better positioning to blow by you. Blocking a shot (or in the stance of getting ready to contest it) I often feel like I can recover quicker than if I were to go up with both hands.

Might not be why more players don't 'catch the ball' but it's something in my subconscious when I'm playing defense. Angles are definitely vital, see here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KJriDpfgQNs

This is definitely part of it. I agree you're more off balance if you catch the ball rather than just a quick swat and recovery. I just think it's worth the risk here and there. Besides intimidation.... swatting shots has 0 purpose. I have to give DeAndre and McGee props because this year after Flip and Vinny talked to them about controlling blocked shots, both got noticeably better. DJ started swatting to teammates instead of out of bounds and McGee started blocking shots softer to recover the ball.. and going for catch blocks. Obviously in some situations like blocks from behind you can't really control it.

catch24
09-16-2011, 08:53 PM
This is definitely part of it. I agree you're more off balance if you catch the ball rather than just a quick swat and recovery. I just think it's worth the risk here and there. Besides intimidation.... swatting shots has 0 purpose. I have to give DeAndre and McGee props because this year after Flip and Vinny talked to them about controlling blocked shots, both got noticeably better. DJ started swatting to teammates instead of out of bounds and McGee started blocking shots softer to recover the ball.. and going for catch blocks. Obviously in some situations like blocks from behind you can't really control it.

Well, blocking shots to your teammates and doing it with both hands are two different things. It honestly just depends on your positioning. You generally see more two-hand stuffs on fast breaks than you do in the half court where players take more time to operate (and have more time to think with/without the basketball).

Keeping the ball in bounds is the best option though. I've watched a lot of Clipper games, and you're right, the guy does have a knack for keeping them in-bounds. Good catch. Like I said though.... going up with two hands is strictly situational; more often than not you're going to feel uncoordinated doing so, lol.

IGOTGAME
09-16-2011, 08:56 PM

Idk someone catching my shoot from mid-air would send more of a message to me then throwing it out of bounds.

the reason is that it is extremely difficult to do.

Xover
09-16-2011, 10:57 PM
feck posteed in the wrong thread

DMV2
09-16-2011, 11:17 PM
A jumpshot is near impossible to grab as a defender. A lay-up is still like 8-12 feet high and it goes up vertically, you gotta time your jump perfectly if you wanna catch that ball.

If we rarely see interceptions in a football game then don't expect "interceptions" in a basketball.

iamgine
09-16-2011, 11:39 PM
I think this is a valid question because catching the ball or at least try to swat it to a teammate provides obvious advantage.

However, just look at what Howard says:

[QUOTE][I]

ThaRegul8r
09-16-2011, 11:48 PM
Does Howard not understand the obvious value of grabbing the shot instead? Of course he does. But he finds that swatting it gives his team more advantage psychologically. Hey, who are we to argue, he's the NBA superstar right?

So, essentially, no one should ever question any decision an NBA player makes on the court because they're NBA players and we're not, is what you're saying?

iamgine
09-16-2011, 11:53 PM
So, essentially, no one should ever question any decision an NBA player makes on the court because they're NBA players and we're not, is what you're saying?
Not quite. More it's been questioned and answered. We can disagree all we want but we're not the ones out there doing it.

knightfall88
09-17-2011, 12:02 AM
Do you actually play basketball? If you go for a full speed swing at the shot, you'll get to the shot quicker as opposed to a timed 'catch' or 'pat' to a team mate

I don't see any choice in this, you do whatever you can at the time to stop the shot.

Rake2204
09-17-2011, 12:11 AM
I've seen this topic before, and with respect, I'm still curious as to how one can believe this type of play should be happening so much more frequently than it already does. I see comparisons to catches made in football. And truthfully, if goaltending was legal, meaning players like McGee and Howard (and Garnett) could attempt to catch the ball with one hand whenever the hell they wanted, then yes, we'd be seeing a lot of plays that'd remind us of the one-handed catch in football. So, in football, how many one handed interceptions do we see when the ball is only on its way up?

As it stands, there is only a split second during a shot at which time a player may attempt to complete a block. It's a bang-bang play for which the defender must reach and extend instantaneously to see if they're able to get a fingertip on the ball before it begins its downward descent. And for the most part, defenders are not going to be able to dictate which type of block they're going to be able to perform. The goal is to block the shot, period.

As KevinNYC mentioned, actively attempting to catch a shot takes a different approach than simply trying to block the shot. And in my experience, a blocked shot in most cases is way too quick of a sequence for a defender to rise into the air only then to decide he wants to catch it. However, there are certain "catching" hotspots, where a player may be able to play the percentages and know quite well that a catch is a possibility before takeoff. I'd say the most common scenario I've seen for a pre-determined catch is when an offensive player is attempting to finish a one-on-one fast break with a low-vert, contested layup attempt (essentially, just tossing it up there). Often, if a bigger defender is trailing the one-on-one fast break battle, that's where an opportunity may arise (like the Dang highlight, and Wizards' Jordan).

Otherwise, catches seem to have to be more or less happenstance, where a defender happens to have their arm so far above the shot attempt, they're able to only semi-intentionally cuff the ball and reel it in (McGee on Matthews or LaPhonso Ellis on Brian Davis).

The truth, really, is exactly as KevinNYC put it. Players struggle and scrape for all the blocks they can get to begin with (2.4 bpg to be exact). They can't afford to decide how they want their blocks to be. They're just going to do whatever they can to get their hands on it, period. To constantly attempt to catch a shot would lower a player's likelihood of blocking shots at all.

I know you may think KevinNYC's tone was poor (from a 3rd person point of view I didn't think it was) and I say this with respect, but I honestly think he's been exactly on point on every post he's laid down thus far.

Do you actually play basketball? If you go for a full speed swing at the shot, you'll get to the shot quicker as opposed to a timed 'catch' or 'pat' to a team mate

I don't see any choice in this, you do whatever you can at the time to stop the shot.
I think that's the long and short of it. Under most circumstances, players are just going to do what they can to get to the ball. I think it'd help to think about playing the game ourselves, and what we do when we go to block a shot. A lot of shot-blocking is about going and getting, in which case, our arms are not going to be in catching positions. Personally, I'm not a big shot blocker, even among local crews, but when the opportunity arises, I don't really have time to decide whether I want to extend my hand toward the shot slowly in order to tap it to a teammate (let alone catching it). If I block it hard, it's because I attacked the offensive player aggressively, and was able to get a lot of my hand on the ball. If I block it softly, where it ends up in the hands of my teammates just a few feet away, it means I attacked the offensive player aggressively, and was able to only get a little bit of my hand on the ball. And if I caught the shot, it's because I'm dreaming.

I think this is a valid question because catching the ball or at least try to swat it to a teammate provides obvious advantage.

However, just look at what Howard says:

Does Howard not understand the obvious value of grabbing the shot instead? Of course he does. But he finds that swatting it gives his team more advantage psychologically. Hey, who are we to argue, he's the NBA superstar right?

I know I have no idea what Howard's really thinking, but from that quote, it sort of feels like he's feeding the media a line. I feel if he could catch more shots, he would. To be truthful, that quote also sounded a little bit like he may want people to believe he's good enough to do it more often, but then just chooses not to. Of course, I'm not saying it's definitive. Rather, I am just not ready to accept every line that comes from a player to be gospel. I don't mean this negatively, but I've heard Dwight giddily insist he could do things before that he could not follow through on.

Regarding touching the top of the backboard:

"I can. I've never heard of anyone else that can do it but I can get up there. I did it in high school when I was seventeen for the first time. Now, I can't grab stuff off of it but I can get up there."

When we asked to see it, Dwight politely begged off but said he'd do it for me later. He told me to set it up with the Magic. So, a week later, I called the team and they said my trip would be unnecessary; they had all kinds of great video with Howard leaping, including Dwight touching the top of the backboard. For the first time in the history of basketball we were going to have documentation.

Well, the footage ended up being bunk. On the video Dwight ended up touching somewhere just north of the square on the backboard a couple of times.

http://espn.go.com/blog/truehoop/post/_/id/4307/james-white-vs-a-jumping-myth

Again, not saying anything for sure, but sometimes there does to seem a little craving for validation there.

clipps
09-17-2011, 08:10 AM
Attempting to catch a lay-up is not a natural basketball skill. Your reach is higher when you jump with one hand than 2 hands and when you are contesting the ball, you want your reach to be as high as possible and going up with 2 hands is taking away from that. And also, even with the quickness, athleticism, coordination, etc. that these professional athletes have, it's still extremely difficult to catch a layup. It's like a successful 4 point play. Sure, it's possible, and it sounds practical because 4>3/2, but you don't see players go for 4 point play attempts on every possession. You might see one successful 4 point shot per season, just like "catchblocks". Clipperfan86: Go to the rec and start a pick-up game with people that are shorter than you and maybe you'll answer your own question.

You're also making a really bad name for Clipper fans you fakkit

nathanjizzle
09-17-2011, 09:02 AM

you must not have played basketball. its easier to block a shot with one arm then try to jump with both arms trying to catch a basketball.

pauk
09-17-2011, 10:50 AM
1. because you get better reach with one hand and priority #1 is to stop the shot......
2. because if you gamble going for a steal of the shot with two hands (its much easier to catch it with two hands)... you might regret it because you failed to even touch it as the ball went a little higher than u expected and u know u could have touched it/deflected it with one hand....
3. because its better to be on the safe side and get maximum reach... you have a higher reach with one hand at specific direction...
4. because you need to time it...
5. because grabbing it with one hand is hard to do and control afterwards, especially with opponents around u , its better to just get rid of it...
6. because you want a block on your statsheet and not a steal maybe lol...
7. because blocking looks more kewler....

clipps
09-17-2011, 11:50 AM
1. because you get better reach with one hand and priority #1 is to stop the shot......
2. because if you gamble going for a steal of the shot with two hands (its much easier to catch it with two hands)... you might regret it because you failed to even touch it as the ball went a little higher than u expected and u know u could have touched it/deflected it with one hand....
3. because its better to be on the safe side and get maximum reach... you have a higher reach with one hand at specific direction...
4. because you need to time it...
5. because grabbing it with one hand is hard to do and control afterwards, especially with opponents around u , its better to just get rid of it...
6. because you want a block on your statsheet and not a steal maybe lol...
7. because blocking looks more kewler....

Um... This? I'm freaking out to the fact that I'm agreeing with this fakkit

G.O.A.T
09-17-2011, 12:01 PM
I was just thinking about how we always see guys swat shots.. or block them in general... but half of the time.. they could of probably just grabbed and held onto the ball and controlled it rather than sending it out of bounds to the other team. Why don't more players just catch the ball? I know super athletic bigs like DJ, McGee and Dwight could easily do this.

Nobody can easily do that. I am plenty tall, jumped plenty high in my youth and we used to practice that, with people letting us try and grab it out of the air, catching it 1-10 times is an accomplishment.

What players should try to do is what Russell did and not hit it as hard and push it in the direction of a teammate.

Clippersfan86
09-17-2011, 02:49 PM
Nobody can easily do that. I am plenty tall, jumped plenty high in my youth and we used to practice that, with people letting us try and grab it out of the air, catching it 1-10 times is an accomplishment.

What players should try to do is what Russell did and not hit it as hard and push it in the direction of a teammate.

I think using words like easily led people to misunderstand me and it's my fault for poor wording. In a following post I mentioned even one every 4 or 5 games. That's not unrealistic. I posted multiple block videos showing you guys times when players got the ball clearly with their entire hand and they were in a position to grab it with one hand. BTW the people saying stupid crap like "Did you ever play basketball?" need to suck it. I was a pretty damn good player and this isn't rocket science.

It's the same concept as grabbing a board with 1 hand and bringing it to the second hand to secure it. It's fundamentals. You do this in any sport that requires catching. I used a football example earlier because it's valid. I understand the NFL probably has better athletes than the NBA but if they can jump 3+ feet off the ground and catch a 70 MPH ball with 1 hand while off balance and secure it before hitting the floor... NBA players can catch something much easier. I altered the original OP which was an exaggeration... because one a game is unrealistic. Why don't we even see 10 of these over the entire NBA season though???

iamgine
09-17-2011, 03:01 PM
Ask a football player, would his rate of success gone up dramatically if he's just required to swat the ball instead of catching it?

Clippersfan86
09-17-2011, 03:10 PM
Ask a football player, would his rate of success gone up dramatically if he's just required to swat the ball instead of catching it?

Well I'm talking about on offense... but yes. Swatting a ball is easier on defense than intercepting it. Thing is interceptions in the NFL are way more common than catch blocks in the NBA and the NBA is a much more uptempo sport with WAY more total possessions of the ball. Think about it. Some games a team may only be on defense 10 times or less. So if they get 2 interceptions... that's the 1 out of every 5 ratio I mentioned in my subsequent post.

Like I said before... people are going all over the place with such a simple concept. Catch the ball or control it to yourself once in a while... rather than smashing it out of bounds.

iamgine
09-17-2011, 03:21 PM
Yeah, both on offense and defense. Ask a football player, would his rate of success gone up dramatically if he's just required to swat the ball instead of catching it?

Clippersfan86
09-17-2011, 03:33 PM
Yeah, both on offense and defense. Ask a football player, would his rate of success gone up dramatically if he's just required to swat the ball instead of catching it?

You're arguing something that I already agreed with though so what's the point of the question? Nobody here is in denial about success rates. I understand it might only be possible to do it once every 5 games... but wouldn't it be wiser that one time to grab it instead of swatting it out of bounds and giving the ball to the other team? We should all know by now how much of a difference one great possession can make in sports.

One great defensive play or one great shot... can shift the momentum of a game. I'm saying if the entire NBA combines for thousands and thousands of blocks... why didn't we have at least 50 catch blocks this year? That's a MUCH lower percentage than I suggested and we didn't even see that. Is 50 out of 11,000 total blocks really a big deal?

You guys are making it seem like I'm expecting something preposterous. I was when I said one every game.. but I changed it because it was clearly unrealistic.

Also ask an NFL player what a bigger play to make is on defense. An interception or swatting the ball to the floor? 10/10 will say an interception. Very few NFL players go for a swat unless they have zero chance to intercept. NBA players should have a similar mentality. Only swat a shot if you CAN'T control it somehow. Whether that's controlling the block to a teammate or yourself... or just catching it.

iamgine
09-17-2011, 03:37 PM
However, you can't turn it on and off. If you're going for catch, then you go for catch every time. Then blocks would have lower success rates.

Clippersfan86
09-17-2011, 03:40 PM
However, you can't turn it on and off. If you're going for catch, then you go for catch every time. Then blocks would have lower success rates.

This is a cop out. ;x.... these guys are paid up to 20+ million a year. They are in top physical and mental condition. It's a mindset change and you can have multiple functions stored in muscle memory. You're telling me players can be reactive all game long on offense but not on defense?? You can't make a split second decision to catch/control a block rather than swat into stands? That's BS. Maybe they need to practice catch blocks.. and make them become an instinct.. but to imply these players have no control is crazy.

If you watch the history of the blocked shot... watch guys like Russell and Wilt to Dwight now. You'll see back then way more controlled and catch blocks happened. Now it's about the flashy swat to the 4th row block. Players have the wrong mindset defensively.

Clippersfan86
09-17-2011, 03:46 PM
Watch this dude. Bill Russell the art of the blocked shot.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nWFsL4Y8RVA

Watch how many of his blocks are intelligent blocks. Blocking to teammates, controlling a block to himself... catch blocks etc. No flashy crap of swatting it into the stands 3 times a game. Every single block has a purpose. I didn't see one that didn't stay in bounds and end up in a teammates hands really.

iamgine
09-17-2011, 03:48 PM
To block and catch require much narrower angle than block only, thus much lower success rate.

Clippersfan86
09-17-2011, 03:52 PM
To block and catch require much narrower angle than block only, thus much lower success rate.

This has already been agreed upon by me. Watch the Bill Russell video please. It's not long.

iamgine
09-17-2011, 04:02 PM
So if you would go for block n catch, you'd always try to position your body in a more difficult position a lot of the time, thus lowering your block success rate.

About Russel, it was a different game back then. He was much better and much more athletic compared to everyone else. There's much more parity now.

nightprowler10
09-17-2011, 04:06 PM
I do it in 2K11 with my player all the time. :lol

Clippersfan86
09-17-2011, 04:07 PM
So if you would go for block n catch, you'd always try to position your body in a more difficult position a lot of the time, thus lowering your block success rate.

About Russel, it was a different game back then. He was much better and much more athletic compared to everyone else. There's much more parity now.

Okay then watch Hakeem or David Robinson. Now watch Dwight and McGee. Watch it get progressively worse. Blocks are getting less and less intelligent.

Clippersfan86
09-17-2011, 04:08 PM
I do it in 2K11 with my player all the time. :lol

I didn't even know you could in 2K11. Is it random?

nathanjizzle
09-17-2011, 04:14 PM
why is this even a discussion?, the answer is simple. now STFU

Clippersfan86
09-17-2011, 04:15 PM
why is this even a discussion?, the answer is simple. now STFU

Why are you so angry? I've never even seen you around here before little man.

iamgine
09-17-2011, 04:22 PM
Okay then watch Hakeem or David Robinson. Now watch Dwight and McGee. Watch it get progressively worse. Blocks are getting less and less intelligent.
Because players are getting more and more equal.

Besides, we comparing Mcgee to Hakeem now?

Clippersfan86
09-17-2011, 04:27 PM
Because players are getting more and more equal.

Besides, we comparing Mcgee to Hakeem now?

I'm taking the arguable best shot blockers from their eras and asking you to compare the way shots were blocked. Not directly comparing any of them. You honestly believe centers right now are close to equal to Dwight? 2 straight years in the top 3 I believe for MVP votes... 3 straight DPOY awards. Who do you think is equal to Dwight?

You honestly think Robinson and Hakeem didn't have competiton?? Zo, Shaq, Mutombo etc? The 90's had the deepest era of centers in NBA history, not even close. If anything there is WAY more of a gap in competition right now.. so it should be easier to blocks shots.

iamgine
09-17-2011, 04:29 PM
Isn't blocked shots coming more from perimeter players, not big men?

Rake2204
09-17-2011, 04:30 PM
This is a cop out. ;x.... these guys are paid up to 20+ million a year. They are in top physical and mental condition. It's a mindset change and you can have multiple functions stored in muscle memory. You're telling me players can be reactive all game long on offense but not on defense?? You can't make a split second decision to catch/control a block rather than swat into stands? That's BS. Maybe they need to practice catch blocks.. and make them become an instinct.. but to imply these players have no control is crazy.
You continue to question why certain skilled players don't catch the ball more often. What is your belief on the matter? Why do you believe it doesn't happen more often? Do you believe players just don't understand catching it would be beneficial? Or do you believe players know they could catch blocks all the time but instead choose to slap them into the crowd because it feels more awesome?

It's always been my understanding that catching someone's shot is the definition of ultimate domination on defense. Is it more badass when LaPhonso Ellis swatted a dunk or when he caught it outright? I feel the answer is obvious. What made Jordan's block on Ron Mercer so legendary? The fact he caught it in mid-air. Suffice to say, the catch-block has sick street cred. On the block ladder of awesomeness, I feel many will agree it generally could go:

1. Tip/Deflect Block: Kind of Awesome
2. Swat: Pretty Awesome
3. Pinned on the backboard: More Awesome
4. Catching a Shot: Bad as Hell.

So, if you believe people like the satisfaction that comes with catching an offensive player's shot and you believe they're not retarded enough to not understand the concept of gaining possession through completing an awesome play, then what other reason would there be for the catch block not happening more often other than the fact that it's really hard to pull off?

I have found this topic to be a difficult one to discuss at times just because it's sort of dumbfounding. The simple and obvious answer (that a catch block is very difficult to pull off) doesn't seem to be a satisfactory explanation, even though I feel like that should be the long and short of it. It's like asking, "Why don't more people tip-dunk more often? I know Vince Carter averaged multiple offensive rebounds per game in his prime. Why didn't he tip-dunk more of them? Doesn't he understand he'll get two points right away instead of having to reset the offense?"

I acknowledge the "have you ever even played basketball" line of reasoning is a little lame. And I definitely see how it could sound insulting. However, I think at least a couple of posters are just asking that question because it seems the answer to your query (why don't catch blocks happen more often?) would seem abundantly clear to anyone who's played the game for an extended period of time.

And to be clear, even when playing against 5th graders, you or me trying to catch shots isn't going to be the same as JaVale McGee trying to catch shots. He's way above the goal and his paws are huge. I think it'd be a more comparable scenario if we lowered the basket down to 8.5 feet and played against people our age using one of those mini-basketballs often handed out as prizes at county fairs. I've done it. And even on lowered rims with small basketballs, catching a shot attempt (without goaltending) is not a completely natural play to execute. It take a very unique set of circumstances to pull off.

And sure, you're saying, "Well of course it's not going to happen often for you. You're obviously not an NBA player with the hops and ability and general fundamental wherewithal of a Dwight Howard, JaVale McGee or DeAndre Jordan." At which point, I'd have to agree with you, which would then solidify my point. Even for athletic freaks, catching a blocked shot is very hard to come by, not to mention inefficient. Imagine the drop in Dennis Rodman's rebound rate if all he did was crash the glass and attempt a tip-dunk each play. Now imagine all the shots these big men wouldn't be able to reach or tip in the first place if they just spent the whole game looking to catch a shot.

Have you ever, really, really rejected someone before? As in, you blocked them so bad you had your entire wrist on the ball, or at least your entire hand? If so, did you ever stop to think about why, in retrospect, you didn't just grab the ball out of air with two hands instead? Or maybe cuffed it right there between your hand and your wrist? You were just trying to block the shot by any means, right? You weren't really worried about how you were blocking the shot as much as you were worried about whether you were going to block the shot at all, period.

This topic intrigues me because the concept appears so simple. It's like asking why the sky is blue.

Clippersfan86
09-17-2011, 04:34 PM
You continue to question why certain skilled players don't catch the ball more often. What is your belief on the matter? Why do you believe it doesn't happen more often? Do you believe players just don't understand catching it would be beneficial? Or do you believe players know they could catch blocks all the time but instead choose to slap them into the crowd because it feels more awesome?

It's always been my understanding that catching someone's shot is the definition of ultimate domination on defense. Is it more badass when LaPhonso Ellis swatted a dunk or when he caught it outright? I feel the answer is obvious. What made Jordan's block on Ron Mercer so legendary? The fact he caught it in mid-air. Suffice to say, the catch-block has sick street cred. On the block ladder of awesomeness, I feel many will agree it generally could go:

1. Tip/Deflect Block: Kind of Awesome
2. Swat: Pretty Awesome
3. Pinned on the backboard: More Awesome
4. Catching a Shot: Bad as Hell.

So, if you believe people like the satisfaction that comes with catching an offensive player's shot and you believe they're not retarded enough to not understand the concept of gaining possession through completing an awesome play, then what other reason would there be for the catch block not happening more often other than the fact that it's really hard to pull off?

I have found this topic to be a difficult one to discuss at times just because it's sort of dumbfounding. The simple and obvious answer (that a catch block is very difficult to pull off) doesn't seem to be a satisfactory explanation, even though I feel like that should be the long and short of it. It's like asking, "Why don't more people tip-dunk more often? I know Vince Carter averaged multiple offensive rebounds per game in his prime. Why didn't he tip-dunk more of them? Doesn't he understand he'll get two points right away instead of having to reset the offense?"

I acknowledge the "have you ever even played basketball" line of reasoning is a little lame. And I definitely see how it could sound insulting. However, I think at least a couple of posters are just asking that question because it seems the answer to your query (why don't catch blocks happen more often?) would seem abundantly clear to anyone who's played the game for an extended period of time.

And to be clear, even when playing against 5th graders, you or me trying to catch shots isn't going to be the same as JaVale McGee trying to catch shots. He's way above the goal and his paws are huge. I think it'd be a more comparable scenario if we lowered the basket down to 8.5 feet and played against people our age using one of those mini-basketballs often handed out as prizes at county fairs. I've done it. And even on lowered rims with small basketballs, catching a shot attempt (without goaltending) is not a completely natural play to execute. It take a very unique set of circumstances to pull off.

And sure, you're saying, "Well of course it's not going to happen often for you. You're obviously not an NBA player with the hops and ability and general fundamental wherewithal of a Dwight Howard, JaVale McGee or DeAndre Jordan." At which point, I'd have to agree with you, which would then solidify my point. Even for athletic freaks, catching a blocked shot is very hard to come by, not to mention inefficient. Imagine the drop in Dennis Rodman's rebound rate if all he did was crash the glass and attempt a tip-dunk each play. Now imagine all the shots these big men wouldn't be able to reach or tip in the first place if they just spent the whole game looking to catch a shot.

Have you ever, really, really rejected someone before? As in, you blocked them so bad you had your entire wrist on the ball, or at least your entire hand? If so, did you ever stop to think about why, in retrospect, you didn't just grab the ball out of air with two hands instead? Or maybe cuffed it right there between your hand and your wrist? You were just trying to block the shot by any means, right? You weren't really worried about how you were blocking the shot as much as you were worried about whether you were going to block the shot at all, period.

This topic intrigues me because the concept appears so simple. It's like asking why the sky is blue.

I agree with a lot of this but remember.... I expanded the original idea. Not only lowered the standards tremendously... but mentioned controlled blocks. Let's not only focus in on catch blocks because my idea has shifted. I just noticed like I said after watching Wilt and Russell and even 90's centers footage.. that players have become quite frankly... stupid shot blockers. They are constantly going for the 5th row swat.... and rarely control it to themselves or a teammate. Back in earlier eras they ALWAYS controlled it because that was the original point of a block.

Clippersfan86
09-17-2011, 04:38 PM
Isn't blocked shots coming more from perimeter players, not big men?

Are you messing with me lol?

Rake2204
09-17-2011, 04:58 PM
I agree with a lot of this but remember.... I expanded the original idea. Not only lowered the standards tremendously... but mentioned controlled blocks. Let's not only focus in on catch blocks because my idea has shifted. I just noticed like I said after watching Wilt and Russell and even 90's centers footage.. that players have become quite frankly... stupid shot blockers. They are constantly going for the 5th row swat.... and rarely control it to themselves or a teammate. Back in earlier eras they ALWAYS controlled it because that was the original point of a block.
I'm still in the process of watching the Russell video. But in terms of 90's shotblockers, Hakeem and Robinson destroyed their fair share of shots too, not to mention Shaquille O'Neal. They definitely weren't just possession controlling "tappers". Sometimes it can appear that way, but light blocks are often more of a result of a player's inability to get more of a hand on the ball than anything they mentally chose to do.

It's an interesting notion to wonder why people can't just be like Bill Russell aka perhaps the greatest shot-blocker of all-time. His style was certainly unique in the manner with which he was able to afford to "hook block" attempts in certain situations. That is, he was great enough in comparison to his competition that he was able to accept a forthcoming block as a foregone conclusion and instead worry about where he wanted to block it.

I've always found the "block into the 3rd row" epidemic to be vastly overrated. Every single blocked shot by modern players is not an out-of-bounds violation. The truth is, even when Russell "tapped" blocks, there was not a guarantee his team was going to gain the rebound. Further, he swatted shots at times too (the chasedown on West in your clip at 1:25).

I have found there to be two extreme ways of thought that seem to go hand-in-hand regarding this subject. One thought is that every great shot-blocker in the 60's always controlled his blocks and always ensured his team would garner possession. The second thought is that every "great" shot-blocker today nearly always blocks shots into the 3rd row and his team never gains possession. Gaining possession doesn't have to occur only after a weak block:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j3guuPba-I0

Further, here's a full Ben Wallace mixtape (it's labeled Top 5 blocks but it's not). Having watched Ben for the duration of his career, I don't think I'm alone in acknowledging that he blocked shots with supreme force. My question would be, in these limited clips, how many of these monster blocks end up in the Pistons' possession? And no, it doesn't count to watch his first block sail back to an opponent and assume the rest of them are going to as well.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QuivG44plqQ

The results of Ben's rejections, as different as the blocks may look in comparison to Bill Russell's, are quite often the same. Can the argument be made that Bill kept even more in play than Ben and was able to aim even more to his teammates than Ben? Obviously. But it's not as if today's defensive world has come crumbling down to the point where top defenders appear to go out of their way to purposely provide their opponent with another possession.

Edit: I'll say this though, there's a lot more substance to your current question than there was when discussing the whole "catching" thing. The ideas of "catching" and "not blocking so hard" are terribly different from one another.

artificial
09-17-2011, 05:46 PM
This thread is simply wrong without this epic Laphonso Ellis block

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JVFSfRVzQ8s

Clippersfan86
09-17-2011, 06:13 PM
This thread is simply wrong without this epic Laphonso Ellis block

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JVFSfRVzQ8s

For the love of God. That was downright nasty! Now that's how you block a shot.

winwin
03-10-2013, 05:37 PM
hmmm

Rake2204
01-01-2014, 02:32 AM
Fun clip - Kenyon Martin catching Dwyane Wade's layup: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d9g1o00oVVw

pauk
01-01-2014, 11:10 AM
Cuz it looks kewler mayne!

Eat Like A Bosh
01-01-2014, 03:22 PM
You know how hard that is?

Mr. Jabbar
01-01-2014, 03:49 PM
poor clippersfan86, trapped in the realm of the banned forever

DonDadda59
01-01-2014, 04:13 PM
You know how hard that is?

It is tough to do, but certain guys excel at it, like Old Man Duncan. Case in point:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xEuu3NmF400

Someone actually did a study of the percentage of blocks recovered by the shot blocker, how many went to his team, and how many went to the opponent last season (no idea how the hell they even get this info):

Blocking Out of Bounds or to Opponents

Let's face it, out-of-bounds blocks are sexy. When an athletic player loads his spring-like legs and soars to confront an incoming scorer, swatting the ball into the stands at ludicrious speed, we love it. It is precisely this brand of athleticism for which most people enjoy watching the NBA. Statistically, though, these blocks, and blocks which are recovered by the opposing team, have the same value as an opponent offensive rebound. They allow the opponent a new possession, a new chance to score, and even the chance to set up a go-to inbound play. They are much less valuable than blocks which are recovered by the blocker or his teammates.

Tim Duncan also excels at blocking the ball to himself or his teammates. Below is a table with how each players blocks are recovered, courtesy of Evan Zamir of nbawowy.com. %Own is the percentage the player himself rebounds his block, %Team is the percentage a teammate rebounds his block, and %Opp is the percentage the other team recovers the block.

Player %Own %Team %Opp
Tim Duncan 29.6 34.5 35.9
Larry Sanders 19.3 36.0 44.7
Serge Ibaka 10.1 54.7 35.2
Roy Hibbert 17.8 48.5 33.7
Dwight Howard 16.7 42.7 40.6
Joakim Noah 15.0 47.4 37.6
Brook Lopez 11.6 47.1 41.3

Duncan's Opp% is 3rd lowest in this list, and his %Own is tremendous. Duncan recovers nearly a third of his blocks. When you consider how talented he is as an outlet passer, this is no insignificant feat.

http://www.poundingtherock.com/2013/3/20/4117576/tim-duncan-is-the-defensive-player-of-the-year

So Timmy basically keeps about a 1/3 of the shots he blocks himself. It's a skill that the vast majority of big men do not possess. Just one of the many skills/nuances that have separated him from the pack

Go Getter
01-01-2014, 04:29 PM

If anyone on this board outed themselves as a non hooper the OP did with this post.