PDA

View Full Version : Kobe wants the Lakers to get Allen Iverson, calls him toughest player in NBA history.

Clippersfan86
09-19-2011, 06:55 PM
"Instead of going into X's and O's about the situation, lets just skip to what Kobe Bryant said this morning at his basketball camp in Singapore when asked who and what type of players they need next season.

"Last season we were beat out because we had no heart against the Mavericks, aside from myself and Derek Fisher there was no player in our locker room when we went do 2-0 that thought we could still win this thing, we need that toughness, that mental toughness, a point guard who can help us in the clutch, I was talking to Coach Brown the other day and I told him Allen Iverson would be a perfect fit. I've always loved AI's game.

Reporter: "But what about the baggage he carries, does his history of destroying a team not cross your mind, would you want someone like that in your locker room?"

"That stuff is all blown out of proportion me and Allen are the same people when it comes to wanting greatness and competitiveness, there is not a player in the world that would want to come off the bench if he knew he was supposed to start, the media gives Allen this label but it's false and a lot of players in the league know this. When I think of AI I think of the guy who damn near cost me a championship in 2001, the toughest dude this league has seen."

The basketball world is about to blow up in a couple of hours when this news gets reported, sources have confirmed the Lakers have told AI to keep working out and once owners and players can talk after the lockout, the Lakers will work Iverson out. Manager Garry Moore was ecstatic this morning when he heard of what Kobe said.

"Finally someone has the guts to speak out, we knew if someone would help it would be someone who is like Allen himself, he has a lot left in the tank and we want to thank Kobe because when others were to scared he spoke the truth out and may have given Allen a chance to showcase what he has left, AI is going to meet Kobe in person this coming week when were out on the West coast, we are trying to get him in the IMPACT lockout league right now. God Bless"

So how's this sound for a starting lineup: Andrew Bynum, Pau Gasol, Ron Artest, Kobe Bryant and Allen Iverson? A total fail or 2012 NBA champions? Is a 36-year-old Allen Iverson the "answer" for the Lakers?"

Source: Interview in Singapore, from a few Lakers forums. Couldn't find a link though. Props to Kobe for defending an ex rival like that. I have always respected Kobe's intelligence about the game and I agree 100 percent that Iverson as a 6th man could definitely still help the Lakers, especially with confidence and attitude.

GreatGreg
09-19-2011, 06:57 PM
If that happens, I might just root for LA to win next season. But just imagine all the trolls. :facepalm

Kensta
09-19-2011, 07:02 PM
Do not want

Clippersfan86
09-19-2011, 07:02 PM
If that happens, I might just root for LA to win next season. But just imagine all the trolls. :facepalm

I will probably already be pulling for the Lakers to win the ring.... but if they get Iverson even more so. How awesome would it be if Kobe's fire brought Iverson's game back.. and those 2 finished out their careers as an older duo. That would be such a badass finish to their careers.

chips93
09-19-2011, 07:03 PM
would be incredible is it happened, but i wont get carried away before i at least see a real media outlet quoting kobe on this.

Clippersfan86
09-19-2011, 07:07 PM
would be incredible is it happened, but i wont get carried away before i at least see a real media outlet quoting kobe on this.

Naw it's legit I'm pretty sure. I believe it was reported on Sports Illustrated too. I saw matches on 3 or 4 Lakers forums and Bleacherreport (yes I understand they are a joke usually). I doubt they would completely fabricate an interview and say they are at Kobe's camp in Singapore.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/856559-kobe-bryant-allen-iverson-would-be-the-perfect-fit

G-train
09-19-2011, 07:10 PM
No way Kobe said those things about his team mates quitting down 0-2. Not publically anyway.

AMISTILLILL
09-19-2011, 07:10 PM
:oldlol: :oldlol:

Good luck, LA. I doubt this is even real.

Clippersfan86
09-19-2011, 07:14 PM
No way Kobe said those things about his team mates quitting down 0-2. Not publically anyway.

Kobe of all people and you don't think this sounds like him :confusedshrug: ? This is EXACTLY the kind of thing Kobe would say. He spoke the truth like he always has about teammates/situation of the team. His teammates all DID quit. I have zero reason to doubt this article. Why would someone claim to be at his basketball camp in Singapore, reporting this.. and completely make this up?

Besides you can tell by a lot of what he says that this is very similar to Kobe's normal behavior. Him praising Iverson as a competitor doesn't surprise me one bit. Also the comment "He almost cost me a damn ring" or w/e.. sounds exactly like a joke Kobe would make.

$LakerGold
09-19-2011, 07:18 PM
Yo, if this is true.. then im gonna be so hyped up for the season!
Clippersfan, you should find that link! I dont believe in ghost :D

swi7ch
09-19-2011, 07:19 PM
AI is one of the all-time greats and even though I hate the Lakers and their uppity fans, I'd love for AI to win a ring.

Big164
09-19-2011, 07:20 PM
Not sure if real. But if it is, its on some Shaq/Mourning type sht.

Shaq never really respected Mourning, he just enjoyed Mourning being his bitch backup considering they both came into the league 92-93.

Kobe just want to be AIs master.

Clippersfan86
09-19-2011, 07:20 PM
Yo, if this is true.. then im gonna be so hyped up for the season!
Clippersfan, you should find that link! I dont believe in ghost :D

:( . I searched like crazy and found a lot of references to it... but no direct, definitive source. I only believe it because I know how to read and recognize people. You can tell by the way Kobe speaks that this is him. If I had to make up a Kobe interview... it would be similar to this, the way he responds.

So if this is made up... it's a hoax done by a psychologist who has his personality mapped out.

Here are my perceptions.

1. Kobe has praised Iverson's heart and toughness before.

2. Kobe threw his teammates under the bus a little and called them out indirectly which he has done many times (with good reason, because they sucked balls).

3. Kobe has defended Melo and Lebron passionately this season in the same way with the whole bad reputation thing.. so why wouldn't he defend a great like Iverson?

4. His comment "When I think of AI I think of the guy who damn near cost me a championship in 2001, the toughest dude this league has seen" has Kobe written all over it. Totally something he would say. Also the way he speaks.. when I think of these quotes.. I can easily picture it coming from Kobe.

Clippersfan86
09-19-2011, 07:21 PM

Shaq never really respected Mourning, he just enjoyed Mourning being his bitch backup considering they both came into the league 92-93.

LMAO... That would be some twisted, cold sh** if true.

Crown&Coke
09-19-2011, 07:22 PM
I was hoping this would have happened last year. But AI aint the type of player the Lakers need at the guard spot. They need someone capable of getting into the paint, I love AI, but I don't know if he's that player.

But still AI on the Lakers, I can dig that

G-train
09-19-2011, 07:24 PM
Kobe of all people and you don't think this sounds like him :confusedshrug: ? This is EXACTLY the kind of thing Kobe would say. He spoke the truth like he always has about teammates/situation of the team. His teammates all DID quit. I have zero reason to doubt this article. Why would someone claim to be at his basketball camp in Singapore, reporting this.. and completely make this up?

Besides you can tell by a lot of what he says that this is very similar to Kobe's normal behavior. Him praising Iverson as a competitor doesn't surprise me one bit. Also the comment "He almost cost me a damn ring" or w/e.. sounds exactly like a joke Kobe would make.

I can see him expressing disapointment but I find it unlikely he would name names.

G-train
09-19-2011, 07:25 PM

totally false.

Clippersfan86
09-19-2011, 07:26 PM
I can see him expressing disapointment but I find it unlikely he would name names.

That brings me to another psychological que that tells me it's Kobe. In the playoffs and even during the season he flat out said in postgame interviews that besides him Fisher is the only player who played with heart. It's clear he respects Fisher's heart more than the rest of his teammates. So him singling out himself and Fisher as the guys who never quit, makes complete sense and I agree with him.

ihatetimthomas
09-19-2011, 07:26 PM
Lakers should pass on AI. What does Ai really have left in the tank? He barely played any type of competitive ball last season overseas. Only a few low minute games before he had his calf surgery. I just don't think this is what the Lakers need. Yes, they need a guy at the point, but Lakers really need a defensive minded pg who can help with those speedy pg's.

AI's self entitled mentality hasn't been all that attractive as well. I don't know if he has changed, but last time he was in the NBA he didn't want to be a bench player. Kobe has a response for that in this article, but not sold AI is going to do everything he can for the sake of the team.

Not doubting his competitive fire, just doubting his ability at the age of 36. I don't think he can last a season healthy, and Lakers really need more stability at the point. I guess if there is nothing left available, then Lakers could consider it, but I wouldn't make it a priority.

If it isn't clear by now, what Kobe wants does not hold as much weight as it once was. He had no say so in hiring Brown and wanted Shaw. Jim Buss will be calling all the shots.

HylianNightmare
09-19-2011, 07:27 PM
if this happens i'm a lakers fan

Clippersfan86
09-19-2011, 07:32 PM
Lakers should pass on AI. What does Ai really have left in the tank? He barely played any type of competitive ball last season overseas. Only a few low minute games before he had his calf surgery. I just don't think this is what the Lakers need. Yes, they need a guy at the point, but Lakers really need a defensive minded pg who can help with those speedy pg's.

AI's self entitled mentality hasn't been all that attractive as well. I don't know if he has changed, but last time he was in the NBA he didn't want to be a bench player. Kobe has a response for that in this article, but not sold AI is going to do everything he can for the sake of the team.

Not doubting his competitive fire, just doubting his ability at the age of 36. I don't think he can last a season healthy, and Lakers really need more stability at the point. I guess if there is nothing left available, then Lakers could consider it, but I wouldn't make it a priority.

If it isn't clear by now, what Kobe wants does not hold as much weight as it once was. He had no say so in hiring Brown and wanted Shaw. Jim Buss will be calling all the shots.

I agree Iverson won't ever be a star... but as a 6th man he can still do damage. I think his ego will be a lot better now after it forced him out of the league. His struggles in Euroball I think were a lot more mental than physical. Even having Iverson to go at Kobe hard in practice daily would pay huge dividends. Players around the league respect Iverson's greatness despite his meltdown last season. He brings a confidence and toughness the way KG did to the Celtics. In his short return to the Sixers at 35 he was still putting up great numbers in limited minutes.

His game will age well considering he's still in great shape and relies on the jumper and occasional slashing. I think both T-Mac and Iverson need a respectable team like the Spurs, Celtics or Lakers to really believe in them and take them in. Look at Zach Randolph. Was biggest trouble maker in the league on and off the court. He goes to a team he bonds with.. and gets a top tier coach who cares about players like Hollins and becomes the ultimate team player. Iverson can help this team. Iverson is a hell of a better solution than Steve Blake I'll tell you that right now.

purplch0de
09-19-2011, 07:34 PM
I don't think Kobe would allow iverson to slack off. But then again iverson has to accept bench role at times...

Clippersfan86
09-19-2011, 07:35 PM
BTW guys if for whatever reason I'm wrong and this is a completely make up story you gotta admit it's still an interesting as hell idea. As if the Lakers aren't always drama enough lol. Adding Iverson will make the team must watch TV.

B
09-19-2011, 07:38 PM
Naw it's legit I'm pretty sure. I believe it was reported on Sports Illustrated too. I saw matches on 3 or 4 Lakers forums and Bleacherreport (yes I understand they are a joke usually). I doubt they would completely fabricate an interview and say they are at Kobe's camp in Singapore.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/856559-kobe-bryant-allen-iverson-would-be-the-perfect-fit
The page has been taken down. It was a made up story. Kobe never said anything of the sort

ihatetimthomas
09-19-2011, 07:39 PM
I agree Iverson won't ever be a star... but as a 6th man he can still do damage. I think his ego will be a lot better now after it forced him out of the league. His struggles in Euroball I think were a lot more mental than physical. Even having Iverson to go at Kobe hard in practice daily would pay huge dividends. Players around the league respect Iverson's greatness despite his meltdown last season. He brings a confidence and toughness the way KG did to the Celtics. In his short return to the Sixers at 35 he was still putting up great numbers in limited minutes.

His game will age well considering he's still in great shape and relies on the jumper and occasional slashing. I think both T-Mac and Iverson need a respectable team like the Spurs, Celtics or Lakers to really believe in them and take them in. Look at Zach Randolph. Was biggest trouble maker in the league on and off the court. He goes to a team he bonds with.. and gets a top tier coach who cares about players like Hollins and becomes the ultimate team player. Iverson can help this team. Iverson is a hell of a better solution than Steve Blake I'll tell you that right now.

I just don't trust a player who basically didn't play much competitive ball in the past year. I know he has bad knees and I wouldn't roll the dice on him. Thats just me. I know Blake is not the answer at the point, but neither is AI. Like I said, only go for him out of necessity if no one is signed.

Zach isnt a great comparison because you are comparing a guy in his prime and one way out of his prime. We all knew Zach had the ability, he has finally figured it out mentally. BUt he is only 30 where AI is 36.

Doranku
09-19-2011, 07:40 PM
I don't understand why other Laker fans are saying not to pick him up. You'd rather have Shannon f*cking Brown chucking away again? Please.

AI would be a great backup to Kobe and just the fact that he would be taking away Shannon Brown's minutes is a positive in itself.

Clippersfan86
09-19-2011, 07:41 PM
[QUOTE=B

ihatetimthomas
09-19-2011, 07:42 PM
I don't understand why other Laker fans are saying not to pick him up. You'd rather have Shannon f*cking Brown chucking away again? Please.

AI would be a great backup to Kobe and just the fact that he would be taking away Shannon Brown's minutes is a positive in itself.

Well Brown opted out of his contract and is a FA.

SpecialQue
09-19-2011, 07:43 PM
[QUOTE=B

Clippersfan86
09-19-2011, 07:45 PM
I just don't trust a player who basically didn't play much competitive ball in the past year. I know he has bad knees and I wouldn't roll the dice on him. Thats just me. I know Blake is not the answer at the point, but neither is AI. Like I said, only go for him out of necessity if no one is signed.

Zach isnt a great comparison because you are comparing a guy in his prime and one way out of his prime. We all knew Zach had the ability, he has finally figured it out mentally. BUt he is only 30 where AI is 36.

I think Zach is a great comparison because it's a mental one. I'm not comparing how much each player had left in the tank. What I'm saying is... any "headcase" can be set straight in the right system, with the right coaches and with the right teammates. He was good in Denver and pretty good in his return to Philly. He struggled in an EXTREMELY dysfunctional Pistons setting (Look at all the other players who rebelled there and defended Iverson).

Then he struggled with the Grizzlies because they pretty much flat out said from day one... he was going to be a bench player and see very little playing time. They also all but told him it was a trial and he may not stay with the team I understand as a recent star why that would piss you off.

I admit Iverson is a big risk... but if signed for minimum or a little higher.. the Lakers can cut him if it becomes an issue. It's a risk worth taking for a team that desperately needs more players with heart and fire.

B
09-19-2011, 07:47 PM
Dammit, and I already busted a nut over this. Ha! Maybe this falls into the "No use crying over spilt milk" category?

ImmortalD24
09-19-2011, 09:21 PM
"Last season we were beat out because we had no heart against the Mavericks, aside from myself and Derek Fisher there was no player in our locker room when we went do 2-0 that thought we could still win this thing, we need that toughness, that mental toughness, a point guard who can help us in the clutch, I was talking to Coach Brown the other day and I told him Allen Iverson would be a perfect fit. I've always loved AI's game. "

"That stuff is all blown out of proportion me and Allen are the same people when it comes to wanting greatness and competitiveness, there is not a player in the world that would want to come off the bench if he knew he was supposed to start, the media gives Allen this label but it's false and a lot of players in the league know this. When I think of AI I think of the guy who damn near cost me a championship in 2001, the toughest dude this league has seen."

Poorly written, no source.. and not even remotely close to Kobe.

This is obviously a fake piece written by an AI stan.

MeLO MvP 15
09-19-2011, 09:29 PM
I don't think this is legit, but damn I wish that would happen. As much as I hate the Lakers, I really want to see AI in the NBA again.

ImmortalD24
09-19-2011, 09:32 PM
As a Lakers fan.. pass.

Besides, he'd look much better in a Heat uniform.

raptorfan_dr07
09-19-2011, 10:34 PM
2. Kobe threw his teammates under the bus a little and called them out indirectly which he has done many times (with good reason, because they sucked balls).

He better call himself out then because he sucked balls against Dallas as well. The only guy that actually played like he wanted it in that series was Andrew Bynum of all people.

Not surprising, he got outplayed by Dirk, didn't play any defense(the Mavs perimeter shooters had a field day), then shifts the blame somewhere else. Yeah, sounds exactly like Kobe.

KB2009Champ
09-19-2011, 10:49 PM
Ya'll are pretty gullible.

AMISTILLILL
09-19-2011, 11:50 PM
This story is almost certainly 100% made up. With that said, it's still an interesting thing to think about. As AI grows long in the tooth and he remains open to a last ditch effort of ending his career with ANY sort of bright spot, I can see him signing on with LA and things looking shaky at first, working out for a bit but eventually failing. The guy can not and will not change... not even for another solid shot at a chip.

Are we talking having AI run the point? Not sure how that's going to fly once AI starts, even for a second, taking shots out of Kobe's hands. I'd be stoked to see this take place just to see the Lakers implode. New coach, risks with AI, Artest's defensive prowess continues to decline, the ever-present injury concerns looming over Bynum... the makings of the perfect storm of disaster.

Eat Like A Bosh
09-20-2011, 12:02 AM
Not believing till I post a link. Even though AI might not be the best fit, but I'd like to see AI end his career in a better way

Lebowsky
09-20-2011, 12:03 AM

Did you just talk about...practice?

KOBEtherealKing
09-20-2011, 01:01 AM
This ni**a is one year younger than fisher :oldlol:, coming off the bench alright, starting no. Iverson and fisher off the bench. keep morris and guadalock. trade shannon and blake for a legit point guard.

L8k3r5
09-20-2011, 01:08 AM
If this does go down it would make me happy as a Laker fan and it would bring more motivation and fire to Iverson to finally win his ring. Trust me all that off the court bulls**t the media tries to bring on Iverson is false. He's a 36 year old grown ass man. He's been mature with his teams since the Denver days. He's grown out of that now.

L8k3r5
09-20-2011, 01:15 AM
Damn if it is made up then fvck to whoever did this, I got all my hopes up:lol Oh well, either way I hope the Lakers look at Iverson anyway

Nero Tulip
09-20-2011, 02:16 AM
Kobe - Iverson - Mike Brown :banana:

This is going to be a sad end to Kobe's career...

bdreason
09-20-2011, 02:26 AM
Would've loved to see AI play Football.

OmniStrife
09-20-2011, 03:01 AM
[QUOTE=B

D-Wade316
09-20-2011, 03:13 AM
:sleeping

sipitri
09-20-2011, 04:53 AM
My favourite player of all time on my least favourite team of all time?
I don't know if I'll be able to root for the Lakers :cry:

Pinkhearts
09-20-2011, 05:00 AM
Pay him the min and make sure he is ok being a backup.

If he is able to accept this, take him on! No risk all the potential benefit.

SunsCaptain
09-20-2011, 05:27 AM
If its true and they decide to make him a starter. The lakers will have some terrible efficiency.

Shots will be getting chucked left and right from the guards. The big men will be wasted talent and the Lakers will have a losing season. If AI starts I guarantee the Lakers don't make the playoffs.

Hondo
09-20-2011, 06:18 AM
This is a real swing for the fences move. The Lakers desperately need someone that can defend quick point guards. If they could, I'd love to see them get their hands on Kyle Lowry, with Iverson and Fisher as back-ups.

They also need a decent reserve center. They don't have many holes, but they need Gasol to step it up a notch, and World Peace needs to find his game.

Hondo
09-20-2011, 06:19 AM
If its true and they decide to make him a starter. The lakers will have some terrible efficiency.

Shots will be getting chucked left and right from the guards. The big men will be wasted talent and the Lakers will have a losing season. If AI starts I guarantee the Lakers don't make the playoffs.

SunsCaptain, master of hyperbole.

sscamero2006
09-20-2011, 06:35 AM
i rather have Tracy McGrady

All Net
09-20-2011, 10:04 AM
Couldn't be any worse than the other bench options the team had.

dr. bob's bunch
09-20-2011, 10:17 AM
Coaches and players are not allowed to speak to each other during the lockout.

L8kersfan222
09-20-2011, 10:18 AM
TROLLED BY:

http://a0.twimg.com/profile_images/1535035913/26550_1386186702078_1454352314_1039787_5706314_n.j pg

AlphaWolf24
09-20-2011, 12:11 PM
Fail.....

aint no way in heck Kobe would want to team up with that lazy FK....

Kobe is a winner.

hawkfan
09-20-2011, 02:00 PM
Kobe kicks Pau to the curb.

Kobe is talking about AI to flame up message boards.

MiseryCityTexas
09-20-2011, 02:39 PM
This is a real swing for the fences move. The Lakers desperately need someone that can defend quick point guards. If they could, I'd love to see them get their hands on Kyle Lowry, with Iverson and Fisher as back-ups.

They also need a decent reserve center. They don't have many holes, but they need Gasol to step it up a notch, and World Peace needs to find his game.

:lol :oldlol: :roll: aint no way in hell the rockets are gonna trade lowry to the lakers.

AMISTILLILL
09-20-2011, 02:56 PM
Pay him the min and make sure he is ok being a backup.

If he is able to accept this, take him on! No risk all the potential benefit.

Iverson has said he's okay being a backup in other situations and it hasn't worked. Sure, everybody goes into it believing what he says but it never turns out that way.

rodman91
09-20-2011, 03:59 PM
My favourite player of all time on my least favourite team of all time?
I don't know if I'll be able to root for the Lakers :cry:

I feel same way.

Eat Like A Bosh
09-20-2011, 07:53 PM
Overall it's a low risk high reward move, if the Lakers can pull that off.

Smoke117
09-20-2011, 08:13 PM
As a Celtics fan I fully endorse this idea.

Dragonyeuw
09-23-2011, 10:32 AM
i rather have Tracy McGrady

Came in here to say that. I think Mcgrady would have more in the tank at this stage than Iverson. You could plug him in for 15 minutes at 3 positions, last year he played pretty well in Detroit.

Mr Know It All
09-23-2011, 11:23 AM
This interview is hilariously fake.

inclinerator
09-23-2011, 11:40 AM
ai is a scrub now

thejumpa
09-23-2011, 02:39 PM
article is fake

WeGetRing2012
09-23-2011, 02:47 PM
article is fake

Yeah players cant even talk to coaches & team owners during the lockout...

Orlando Magic
09-08-2016, 10:21 AM
Allen Iverson.

Old Man River
09-08-2016, 05:49 PM
what's with the stickied posts