Da Heroic One
10-06-2011, 08:32 PM
Deal with it.

chips93
10-06-2011, 08:39 PM
you're a bona fide scrub. deal with it.

knickswin
10-06-2011, 08:39 PM
Carmelo Anthony is going to show up next year and show all the haters what's up.

RRR3
10-06-2011, 08:41 PM
Carmelo Anthony is going to show up next year and show all the haters what's up.
What haters? :confusedshrug:

Lebron23
10-06-2011, 08:41 PM
He should be averaging over 28 ppg with the fast paced Knicks.

CelticBaller
10-06-2011, 08:51 PM
yes

knickswin
10-06-2011, 08:52 PM
What haters? :confusedshrug:

Well he doesn't get that much hate exactly, but I think he's underrated by the sports media and some fans. Sports Illustrated had him as the 20th best player in the league on their little ranking thing which is an abomination IMO.

HylianNightmare
10-06-2011, 08:53 PM
great thread would read again

brisbaneman
10-06-2011, 08:56 PM
I'd go so far to say he is significantly better than durant.

No "superstar" inspires less fear in me than Durant. I still don't even know what makes people rate him so highly. He's just a taller and unclutch Reggie Miller in my view.

knickswin
10-06-2011, 09:09 PM
I'd go so far to say he is significantly better than durant.

No "superstar" inspires less fear in me than Durant. I still don't even know what makes people rate him so highly. He's just a taller and unclutch Reggie Miller in my view.

yeah, Durant in his role on the Thunder the last couple years might have been as effective or even more effective than Carmelo, but I think Carmelo's the better player. Skill set wise it's not even close, really. I have a really hard time of thinking up things Durant does better than Carmelo other than shooting over people.

chips93
10-06-2011, 09:14 PM
yeah, Durant in his role on the Thunder the last couple years might have been as effective or even more effective than Carmelo, but I think Carmelo's the better player. Skill set wise it's not even close, really. I have a really hard time of thinking up things Durant does better than Carmelo other than shooting over people.

but if thats all he needs to do, what does it matter?

brisbaneman
10-06-2011, 09:15 PM

Durant doesn't even shoot over people--when I watch him all I see is a guy shooting 3s and getting transition buckets and needing multiple screens to get a shot off. He can't put the ball on the floor, can't do one on one, can't hold position in the post--this was all illustrated in the WCF. Replace him with Carmelo and I am not sure Dallas gets past OKC.

I honestly don't get the Durant hype. It is it because he doesn't have visible tattoos and plays up the humble schtick?

knickswin
10-06-2011, 09:26 PM
but if thats all he needs to do, what does it matter?

who says it's all he needs to do though? How many rings does Durant got again? Durant is a much purer scorer than Carmelo; not only can he not make plays for others, he can't even make plays for himself. OKC is one of those teams that are very frustrating for me to watch because the overall play making is so abysmal. They do not generate good shots. Their offense seems to consist of Durant running around screens or Durant and Westbrook begging for free throws. I do think they benefit from favorable calls by the refs.

It's not like I think Carmelo's "there" yet though, I just think he has an incredible skill set and if he plays the way he should he will be as good a player as there is in this league. I do not think Carmelo will ever win a championship playing like he has; he really, really needs to add superior play making to his repertoire to reach his full potential. I think he can and will, though. If D'Antoni is the coach I think (hope) he is, then he will run the offense through Carmelo next year and encourage him to be a play maker.

BlackJoker23
10-06-2011, 09:29 PM
Deal with it.
yo rg wats good bro u done riding yaos c0ck?

chips93
10-06-2011, 09:37 PM
who says it's all he needs to do though? How many rings does Durant got again? Durant is a much purer scorer than Carmelo; not only can he not make plays for others, he can't even make plays for himself. OKC is one of those teams that are very frustrating for me to watch because the overall play making is so abysmal. They do not generate good shots. Their offense seems to consist of Durant running around screens or Durant and Westbrook begging for free throws. I do think they benefit from favorable calls by the refs.

well, i agree, durant definitely isnt a finished product, but just from a scoring perspective, if alll he needs to do is shoot over people, why become preoccupied with anything more elaborate, and less effective? ive always found it strange when somebody criticises a player for being one-dimensional, but if thats all a player needs to be a great scorer, then i dont think that player's game's lack of diversity is a problem.

G-Funk
10-06-2011, 09:41 PM
If he wanted to be hyped like KD all he would have to do is ballhog the ball more

brisbaneman
10-06-2011, 09:47 PM
well, i agree, durant definitely isnt a finished product, but just from a scoring perspective, if alll he needs to do is shoot over people, why become preoccupied with anything more elaborate, and less effective? ive always found it strange when somebody criticises a player for being one-dimensional, but if thats all a player needs to be a great scorer, then i dont think that player's game's lack of diversity is a problem.

it's a problem in durant's case at the end of games because he can't create his own shot, forcing his teammates to try to bail him out (eg westbrook) and being the scapegoat for his deficiencies.

knickswin
10-06-2011, 09:48 PM

Well, a lot of my fellow Knicks fans and I come from the "great players make their teammates better" school of thought that defined the early 70s Knicks. Durant is already a very effective scorer, but right now his teammates have to work to get him his looks and ideally it should be the other way around. All of the great players I can think of demanded doubles and then were able to find the open man once the double came. Durant can't really fit into that mold as he plays now, though. His playing style, while effective at putting the ball through the hoop, really doesn't compromise the defense the way a dominant post scorer, midrange scorer, or play maker would.

Like I said, it's not like Carmelo plays the way I would like him to, either. It's just a lot easier for me to see him making that transition than it is for me to see Durant because Carmelo already compromises the defense, he just needs to do a better job at passing rather than taking a stupid shot when that happens.

Kato
10-06-2011, 10:10 PM
lol carmelo "da goat" anthony can score much better than kd, he doesnt touch the ball near as much. He's a better player.

AI3Anthony
10-06-2011, 10:24 PM
I agree, but Durant is a very close second. Both incredible scorers, but I'd give the edge to Melo. If Melo could ever commit to the defensive end he would be an unbelievable player.

DaPerceive
10-06-2011, 10:35 PM
I agree, but Durant is a very close second. Both incredible scorers, but I'd give the edge to Melo. If Melo could ever commit to the defensive end he would be an unbelievable player.
Can I ask why you feel that way? Durant pretty much has every statistical advantage over Melo, so what makes you say Melo is better? Are you forming this opinion based on the naked eye?

Meticode
10-06-2011, 10:41 PM
Carmelo Anthony is a much more versatile player than Durant, but the fact that Anthony doesn't have a great work ethic really holds him back. It makes me slightly sad to see him with out much talent he has, and he doesn't have the work ethic of a Kobe or Nowitzki or Ray Allen.

Tips4
10-06-2011, 10:49 PM
Carmelo is more talented yes and more skillful moves but Durant is a better player. People just dont realize how unique a player like Durant is. We have a 6-10 who can play SG and SF and defend his position. Carmelo cant even defend Small Forward effectively. He is a better shooter than Carmelo, i mean Durant is just lights out like Ray Allen. He is a better rebounder than Carmelo. He is a better scorer than Carmelo, Carmelo cant score anywhere on the court like Durant. Look at their carrers Carmelo didnt dominate like Durant dominated in the NCAA or the NBA. So i dont get it when you say Carmelo is better.

brisbaneman
10-06-2011, 11:26 PM
Carmelo is more talented yes and more skillful moves but Durant is a better player. People just dont realize how unique a player like Durant is. We have a 6-10 who can play SG and SF and defend his position. Carmelo cant even defend Small Forward effectively. He is a better shooter than Carmelo, i mean Durant is just lights out like Ray Allen. He is a better rebounder than Carmelo. He is a better scorer than Carmelo, Carmelo cant score anywhere on the court like Durant. Look at their carrers Carmelo didnt dominate like Durant dominated in the NCAA or the NBA. So i dont get it when you say Carmelo is better.

neither is a good defender, neither is a good passer, but carmelo is far more versatile on offense

Eat Like A Bosh
10-06-2011, 11:28 PM
Certainly has a case

el gringos
10-07-2011, 12:29 AM
Carmelo will be Thhe best player in the league over the next 5 years- he no lonGer has Gkarl sabatoging him

knickswin
10-07-2011, 12:42 AM

Some of this stuff is completely backwards . . . Carmelo can score from anywhere on the floor and Durant can't, they were both very good college players, but Carmelo won a championship and Durant flaked out of the tourney.

knickswin
10-07-2011, 12:43 AM
Carmelo Anthony is a much more versatile player than Durant, but the fact that Anthony doesn't have a great work ethic really holds him back. It makes me slightly sad to see him with out much talent he has, and he doesn't have the work ethic of a Kobe or Nowitzki or Ray Allen.

I think his work ethic is fine. There are reasons he hasn't been as successful thus far as he could have been, and work ethic issues are not high up on that list.

EricForman
10-07-2011, 01:16 AM
Durant's achieved just as much, if not more, in 4 years than Melo has in 8. They have the same relative high points (WCF) but Melo's stunked up alot more playoff games/series than Durant has.

Melo has a case to be better, but at this point Durant has a better case. And :oldlol: at the Melo fanboys completely trashing Durant. The absolute most you can say is Melo is slightly better, any thing more and you're just trolling.

kaiiu
10-07-2011, 01:42 AM
Melo> Lebrick also

Clutch
10-07-2011, 02:28 AM
Bolded is simply wrong.
Melo is clearly the better rebounder,especially if you include their height (6'10 guy should grab more boards than 6'8 guy but it's the other way around).
Melo can also score from anywhere and he has more ways to do that than Durant.
Melo also led Syracuse to the NCAA championship.
You should get your facts right.

Cali Syndicate
10-07-2011, 03:13 AM
As good of a scorer that Durant is, Melo is the more versatile offensive player. Defensively if both applies themselves, I see Durant being more effective with his long wingspan, a Tayshaun Prince type protege. Melo is definitely stronger.

Melo probably has the edge on him as of now but Durant's hardly even gotten started.

NugzFan
10-07-2011, 04:14 AM
yo rg wats good bro u done riding yaos c0ck?

:facepalm

Kiarip
10-07-2011, 04:22 AM
Melo slows down the offense a lot more than Durant though.

Durant can catch and shoot from the three virtually immediately, because the only players that can actually contest his shot at that range can't stop his penetration well enough to play him that close.

Melo has some upsides, he's a better offensive rebounder, because he fights dirtier for them, he's more dangerous inside, and much better in the post.

Durant is better in transition.

entropy35
10-07-2011, 04:55 AM
Melo is slightly better, and sometimes i don't even think he is trying.

rodman91
10-07-2011, 07:31 AM
Melo might be more skilled but Durant accomplished more than Melo despite played half as much as Melo.

Deal with it.

sh0wtime
10-07-2011, 08:10 AM
To be honest, i dont see much difference between these players, except one being taller and one being a bit more bulkier. :)

Thescore53
10-07-2011, 08:36 AM

heres a big one ...Defense, which melo is on of the worst in the league and has a higher basketball iq and shot selection m,ore efficient scorer. and i find it funny people think the back to back scoring champ cant create for himslef:facepalm

Thescore53
10-07-2011, 08:40 AM
Bolded is simply wrong.
Melo is clearly the better rebounder,especially if you include their height (6'10 guy should grab more boards than 6'8 guy but it's the other way around).

taller does not equal = should be better rebounder, durant is more perimeter oriented and has less body to crash for boards.

alexthegr8
10-07-2011, 08:51 AM
Durant is the better player. Neither is a great defender, and their rebounding ability is basically a wash, but Durant is a better scorer and he does it more efficiently than Melo. I don't care that Melo has more of an inside game than Durant, Durant scores more points in the NBA and needs less shots to do it. He's also viewed as more of a team leader (people question Melo's work ethic and ability to work within a team concept), and he's younger. I doubt any GM would pick Melo over Durant because of those factors, and they shouldn't. I would take either on the Celtics though.

alexthegr8
10-07-2011, 08:56 AM
Also, on the NCAA front, Melo deserves a significant amount of credit for helping Syracuse win the Natl Championship, but that was a really good, well coached, veteran team around him. Durant was like a one man show for Texas (part of the reason his scoring avg was so high; there were a lot of shots to go around), and they didn't have a real shot to do damage in the tournament short of Durant pulling a Wally Sczerbiak and dropping 45 a game.

bizil
10-07-2011, 08:59 AM
Both of these guys are great players. For the past couple of years, I've felt these two, Kobe, Dirk, and Pierce had the most complete scoring arsenals in the world. Comparing Melo and Durant would be like comparing the great scoring SF's in the 80's who weren't great all around players. Other than Bird, most of the great 80's SF's weren't great playmakers. We are talking guys like Doc, Nique, King, Dantley, English, Aguirre, Kiki, Worthy, etc. Each of these guys had something that they were the best at. Or had a combination of scoring attributes that made them unique to everybody else.

As of now I would take Melo. I think Melo has arguably the best scoring arsenal of any SF EVER! Bird could score many ways, but Melo in my book is better on the block, a better slasher, and more explosive on the baseline. Melo also has a great midrange game. Durant can slash to the rack, hit the three ball, and has a superior midrange game. But his postup game isn't on Melo's level. In terms of assists they are about even, rebounding would go to Melo, and D I will give to Durant when it comes to guarding more agile wings. I would rather have Melo defend a more physical wing or even a PF if needed.

Kato
10-07-2011, 09:05 AM
Melo is slightly better, and sometimes i don't even think he is trying.

that's what i see from him, dat n1gga dont even try and still drop 30 something on you with ease. Most lethal player in da league

greensborohill
10-07-2011, 09:18 AM
Durant is a refreshing turn from the "Me" era player. Anthony epitomizes the era but unfortunately he and Amare will be forgotten in basketball history sort of like Mitch Richmond and Tom Chambers (both of whom deserve to be remembered more fondly as they were both good players and people) because they will never win a championship.

kurple
10-07-2011, 09:30 AM
They are not identical players so it depends on how the rest of the team is built, but I would choose Durant 9/10 times.

knickswin
10-07-2011, 10:34 AM
heres a big one ...Defense, which melo is on of the worst in the league and has a higher basketball iq and shot selection m,ore efficient scorer. and i find it funny people think the back to back scoring champ cant create for himslef:facepalm

-Durant is not that great a defender himself and Carmelo is not one of the worst in the league

-I very much so question the idea that Durant has a higher bball IQ and shot selection. Taking higher efficiency shots does not necessarily equate to higher bball IQ.

-And Durant really can't create for himself very well. It's the truth. Amar'e was a top 5 scorer last season and he can't really do it either. You can score a lot of points without being able to post up or shoot off the dribble.

Thescore53
10-07-2011, 02:14 PM
also playing off the ball is a skill melo should learn so he can stop being a black hole.

Thescore53
10-07-2011, 02:17 PM
heres durant creating for himself and utilizing screens. again melo could learn quite a bit from him... maybe after he sheds some fat because he obviously doesn't have the conditioning to run as much.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X7NQOtMDwhQ

Kato
10-07-2011, 02:21 PM
durant could learn how to post up from melo

DaPerceive
10-07-2011, 03:12 PM
also playing off the ball is a skill melo should learn so he can stop being a black hole.
It is very clear you do not watch Melo play if you think he cannot play off the ball. Is he as good as Durant at it? Probably not, but Melo is much better at creating his own shot with the ball than Durant is.

The only thing I am certain in this comparison is that I would take Melo in the 4th quarter/clutch over Durant. I wouldn't even hesitate with that decision.

pegasus
10-07-2011, 03:31 PM
They are both great, and I expect them to explode this season and show people that Lebron is not even the best SF in the regular season anymore.

knickswin
10-07-2011, 03:38 PM
It is very clear you do not watch Melo play if you think he cannot play off the ball. Is he as good as Durant at it? Probably not, but Melo is much better at creating his own shot with the ball than Durant is.

The only thing I am certain in this comparison is that I would take Melo in the 4th quarter/clutch over Durant. I wouldn't even hesitate with that decision.

Carmelo can certainly play without the ball. He is actually a much smarter cutter than Durant is (who NEVER cuts, it's awful).

Thescore53
10-07-2011, 05:23 PM
Carmelo can certainly play without the ball. He is actually a much smarter cutter than Durant is (who NEVER cuts, it's awful).

i like how you try to make durant not cutting as much as melo sound like its a major flaw in durants game, i can do it too , melo never utilizes screens for a jumpshot(its awful )

knickswin
10-07-2011, 09:14 PM
i like how you try to make durant not cutting as much as melo sound like its a major flaw in durants game, i can do it too , melo never utilizes screens for a jumpshot(its awful )

Um, using screens is indicative of how your coach wants you to score. It's not Carmelo's fault he was rarely given screens in Denver. Cutting is something you're supposed to do when you catch your defender sleeping. Not cutting is much more indicative of a player's court awareness than using screens. Plus Durant is kind of sloppy with how he uses screens anyway.

Bigsmoke
10-08-2011, 08:54 AM
He should be averaging over 28 ppg with the fast paced Knicks.

Lol come on dude

Ikill
10-08-2011, 10:25 AM
Durant is a refreshing turn from the "Me" era player. Anthony epitomizes the era but unfortunately he and Amare will be forgotten in basketball history sort of like Mitch Richmond and Tom Chambers (both of whom deserve to be remembered more fondly as they were both good players and people) because they will never win a championship.
How can you find Durant refreshing he's fake as hell

Mystic
10-08-2011, 10:29 AM
agreed, some people just can't see through people being fake

knickswin
10-08-2011, 11:17 AM

that's what I think too . . . he's a media darling who gets a ton of praise for being "humble" and basically not being Lebron and I don't find that refreshing at all. I don't think he's an awful person or anything like that, it's just that I think he's been built up as some saint for pretty much no reason.

macpierce
10-08-2011, 11:24 AM
carmelo could should some fat for sure :oldlol:

Ikill
10-08-2011, 12:08 PM
Carmelo is not fat

GOBB
10-08-2011, 01:23 PM
Melo has a better offensive game to me. Score inside-outside, can move without the ball and beast you with it in his hands. He's a complete scorer in my book. Having said all of that? Being a complete scorer who can score in more ways Durant can AND actually doing it are two different stories. And Melo usually bails defenses/opposing teams out. He gets into shoot mode where he rather take the long jumper than putting a guy on his back and working him in the post. How many Sfs can defend Melo in the post?

I dont have any kewl stats, video footage to support what I am saying. But when I watch Melo? He bails defenders out more than Durant does. Which is why I think the comparison is close. Flip a coin.

Melo could create seperation from Durant if he stopped falling in love with the jumper. Score easy bucklets more by taking your man off the dribble and to the hole. He's big, strong enough to do it. He doesnt have Iguodala handles. And again in the post he could do work. But whenever I see him which is not every game he loves facing up and shooting jumpers.

Nuggets fans who watched the guy more than I have can correct me if I'm wrong.

DaPerceive
10-08-2011, 08:25 PM
Melo has a better offensive game to me. Score inside-outside, can move without the ball and beast you with it in his hands. He's a complete scorer in my book. Having said all of that? Being a complete scorer who can score in more ways Durant can AND actually doing it are two different stories. And Melo usually bails defenses/opposing teams out. He gets into shoot mode where he rather take the long jumper than putting a guy on his back and working him in the post. How many Sfs can defend Melo in the post?

I dont have any kewl stats, video footage to support what I am saying. But when I watch Melo? He bails defenders out more than Durant does. Which is why I think the comparison is close. Flip a coin.

Melo could create seperation from Durant if he stopped falling in love with the jumper. Score easy bucklets more by taking your man off the dribble and to the hole. He's big, strong enough to do it. He doesnt have Iguodala handles. And again in the post he could do work. But whenever I see him which is not every game he loves facing up and shooting jumpers.

Nuggets fans who watched the guy more than I have can correct me if I'm wrong.
I agree with the essentials of this post.

When I watch Melo play I feel like he is top 5-7 in the league. But his stats show that he might not even be top 10. It is interesting really because it seems like everyone says that about him: his fans, his haters, and like me, those who are neutral about him.

Tips4
10-08-2011, 08:34 PM
Some of this stuff is completely backwards . . . Carmelo can score from anywhere on the floor and Durant can't, they were both very good college players, but Carmelo won a championship and Durant flaked out of the tourney.

No he cant, ave seen Melo brick wide open three more than i can remember. The only part of the offense that Melo is better at is in the low post or the low post moves. That doesnt make him a beter player, during the playoffs i remember alot of the people were saying Durant is better than Lebron James (L.James is better but ad take Durant over LJ anyday), now we are lowering him to Cliff Robinson (Melo) clone..for watever reason.

Da Heroic One
10-08-2011, 08:36 PM
No he cant, ave seen Melo brick wide open three more than i can remember. The only part of the offense that Melo is better at is in the low post or the low post moves. That doesnt make him a beter player, during the playoffs i remember alot of the people were saying Durant is better than Lebron James (L.James is better but ad take Durant over LJ anyday), now we are lowering him to Cliff Robinson (Melo) clone..for watever reason.
Hmm....who do you think is better, Wade or LeBron?

Tips4
10-08-2011, 08:53 PM
Bolded is simply wrong.

I love proving people that they talk out of their asses. First Carrer AVG of Durant is 26 PPG (46.5 fg and 36% 3pt, 88% FT) and Carmelo is 24.8 PPG (45.9 fg and 32% 3pt and 80 ft). I have no idea where you get an idea that Melo is better offensively, even if he shoots alot look at those damn % i would let him shoot all day if those are the % and plus he does have Westbrook and Harden who are all getting their fair amount of shots and playing at a high level. Melo is the chucker me friend.

On the rebounding side they both average carrer 6.3 RPG but al take a 6-10 player with a PF body and who is younger than some lazy soon to be fat Melo when it comes to rebounding.

ITS JUST AMAZING HOW OVERRATED THIS PLAYERS BECOME ONCE THEY GO TO NEW YORK OR LAKERS. DAMN NY FANS !! YOU GUYS ARE LIKE HIGHSCHOOL WHORES.

Tips4
10-08-2011, 08:56 PM
Hmm....who do you think is better, Wade or LeBron?

Similar players really, but Dwade has mastered the mid-range. Lebron is more gifted than D Wade but Wade has more heart, he just surrounded himself with a bunch of pu$$ies for the sake of a ring.

Da Heroic One
10-08-2011, 08:57 PM
Similar players really, but Dwade has mastered the mid-range. Lebron is more gifted than D Wade but Wade has more heart, he just surrounded himself with a bunch of pu$$ies for the sake of a ring.
Hm, I see, what would your top 5 players in the league be?

Btw, I made the thread title to provoke people to post.

RRR3
10-08-2011, 09:06 PM
Say what? LeBron is a MUCH better midrange shooter than Wade. It's not even close.

MeLO MvP 15
10-08-2011, 09:16 PM
I think they're about even right now, maybe give the slight edge to Melo (but I'm obviously biased cuz Melo is by far my favorite player). He has a much more complete offensive skill set, he's a better rebounder, when he wants to be he's a better passer and arguably the most clutch player in the league. Don't get me wrong, Durant is really good and I think the next few years will be awesome to see the SF rankings and All nba teams b/w LeBron, Melo and Durant.

Black Magic
10-08-2011, 10:30 PM
Carmelo was also the most clutch player last season...

28renyoy
10-08-2011, 10:46 PM
Durant has better career stats, better single season stats, better playoff stats, better single season playoff stats, has won more regular season games, won as many playoff series this past year as Melo has in his entire career, has 2 more top 5 MVP finishes, has 2 more all nba first team finishes, and he has only played 4 years to Melo's 8. :lol

Tips4
10-08-2011, 10:48 PM
Hm, I see, what would your top 5 players in the league be?

Btw, I made the thread title to provoke people to post.

1. Kobe Bryant (2. Lebron James (3. Derrick Rose (4. Dwight Howard (5. D.Wade

I rate them based on their effectiveness and alittle bit of their accomplishments. If i was just goin by stats that list would look different.

lolokay
10-08-2011, 11:12 PM

I rate them based on their effectiveness and alittle bit of their accomplishments. If i was just goin by stats that list would look different.

lol d rose top3, i think he needs to be considered the best at his position first,if your going by effectiveness dwight should be first.

brisbaneman
10-08-2011, 11:49 PM

so the guy who humiliated 3 of your top 5 couldn't manage to make the list, and a guy who got embarassed in the first round is on your list? Makes sense.

NBAller
10-09-2011, 12:07 AM
Nah, Durant's better. Deal with it.

They both just score, Durant leads the league in scoring. Enough said.

DaPerceive
10-09-2011, 01:44 AM
Here is something pretty interesting pointed out on another site.

Durant is a combined 3-22 against Melo, Pierce and Lebron.

Those have been the elite, top 3 SFs (not counting Durant) in the league for the past few years.

I would say Durant's game was exposed in the WCF. He had a great Game 1 that was overshadowed by Dirk's dominant performance. But he really wasn't that good in the next four games.

28renyoy
10-09-2011, 01:45 AM
Here is something pretty interesting pointed out on another site.

Durant is a combined 3-22 against Melo, Pierce and Lebron.

Those have been the elite, top 3 SFs (not counting Durant) in the league for the past few years.

I would say Durant's game was exposed in the WCF. He had a great Game 1, although it was overshadowed by Dirk's dominant performance. But he really wasn't that good for the rest of the series.

Compare Melo's numbers vs the Celtics last year in comparison with Durant's vs the Mavericks

DaPerceive
10-09-2011, 01:46 AM
Compare Melo's numbers vs the Celtics last year in comparison with Durant's vs the Mavericks
That wouldn't be a fair comparison since Melo's two best players were injured while Durant's two best players were playing, and playing well. Yes, Westbrook was actually decent in the WCF.

28renyoy
10-09-2011, 01:49 AM
That wouldn't be a fair comparison since Melo's two best players were injured while Durant's two best players were playing, and playing well. Yes, Westbrook was actually decent in the WCF.

:lol

fine then, compare their career playoff stats.

also it's good to know a pg shooting 36% while averaging as many turnovers(4.8) as assists(4.8) for an entire series is "playing well"

DaPerceive
10-09-2011, 01:51 AM

also it's good to know a pg shooting 36% while averaging as many turnovers(4.8) as assists(4.8) for an entire series is "playing well"
Well I wouldn't say Westbrook played "well", but I don't think he was bad and I certainly don't think he was the one that cost his team the series like some are suggesting.

Those who blame Westbrook for the WCF lost are probably the same people who blame Kobe for the 2004 Finals lost.

brisbaneman
10-09-2011, 02:14 AM

Durant was shit against Dallas. he just took a ton of shots but he was garbage down the stretch of every game. Whereas carmelo ended the Mavs in game 3.

Cali Syndicate
10-09-2011, 02:23 AM
Well I wouldn't say Westbrook played "well", but I don't think he was bad and I certainly don't think he was the one that cost his team the series like some are suggesting.

Those who blame Westbrook for the WCF lost are probably the same people who blame Kobe for the 2004 Finals lost.

Westbrook played a pretty big reason why they lost. Not saying OKC would have won had he played better cause Durant didn't play up to par either and Dirk was performing something legendary, but he does carry lot of the blame.

Kinda funny how the only game they won was the one Westbrook was benched in the 4th...just saying.

imdaman99
10-09-2011, 02:31 AM
this is total bullsh!t, clown. melo won a title in college. which is a lot more than durant did.

imdaman99
10-09-2011, 02:33 AM

fcuk the stats you clueless @ss, westbrook was a tougher cover for the mavs than durant was. they could put 10 diff guys on durant and they would ALL do a good job. how is westbrook gonna get assists when 'the man' on the on team cant even get open and get shots off :lol

DaPerceive
10-09-2011, 03:01 AM
Kinda funny how the only game they won was the one Westbrook was benched in the 4th...just saying.
One game.....but it goes both ways. In the Magic-Hawks series the game that Dwight played 28 minutes due to foul trouble, took 4 shots, and scored 8 points, the Magic blew out the Hawks. Now do you think that Dwight should carry a lot of blame for that 1st round loss against the Hawks?

Cali Syndicate
10-09-2011, 03:42 AM
One game.....but it goes both ways. In the Magic-Hawks series the game that Dwight played 28 minutes due to foul trouble, took 4 shots, and scored 8 points, the Magic blew out the Hawks. Now do you think that Dwight should carry a lot of blame for that 1st round loss against the Hawks?

Compare 27ppg and 15.5rpg on 63% to 23.6ppg on 36%. Not even remotely the same. Dwight turned the ball over way too much but that's due to fighting double and triple teams. Westbrook is a terrific slasher and can penetrate defenses like the best of them, there is no doubt about that, but when he was out there collapsing defenses rather than dishing it out to open players, he was forcing up layups and taking way too many ill advised shots. He practically jacked up just as many shots as the league's scoring champ the last two seasons. Actually he probably would have out shot Durant had he played all of game 2, which is insane. And if I'm not mistaken Westbrook was taking more shots than Durant in the 4th quarter. Westbrook's the PG on the team, as in facilitator and doesn't even dime out 5apg.

Does Westbrook deserve all the blame? Of course not, but he played like crap. That's not even debatable. Can't really say the same for Dwight performance.

And I was "just sayin'" as in "just sayin'" like a funny coincidence.

Clutch
10-09-2011, 04:46 AM
Melo stays clutch even during the lockout:

Wade made two free throws with 3.2 seconds left to seal his team's 141-140 victory -- a game made closer by James swishing a half-court jumper as time expired. Anthony's deep 3-pointer for Team Wade with 2 seconds left in regulation sent the teams to overtime knotted at 127.

Jacks3
10-09-2011, 05:06 AM
The "Melo is better because of his skill-set" argument doesn't make much sense considering Durant in 2011 had a better playoff run than Melo has ever had. You'd think Melo's greater skill-set would shine there with the game slowing down and becoming more of a half-court affair, better defenses, and a lower rate of easy, assisted buckets...and yet Melo has consistently struggled in the post-season outside of 09 and 2010 and Durant in just his second PS put up 29 PPG/8 RPG/3 APG/1/1/58% TS. And there's the fact that Durant leads by a large margin in literally every single stat:

WP/WS/WS48/PER/TS%/Adj +/-/

And the whole idea of Durant not being able to create his own shot is just ridiculous. He's not exactly Jordan, but u don't drop 30 PPG/60% TS for a entire season without being to get your own shot.

Look at this:points per possession in isolation. points per position are followed by attempts in (parenthesis):

1. Rose - 1.05 (481), rank 7th in league
2. Kevin Martin - 1.04 (432), 8th in the league
3. CP3 - 1.01 (304), rank 14th in league
4. Manu Ginobli - 1.0 (216), 18th in the league
5. Kobe - 0.99 (736), rank 22nd in league
5a. Bosh - 0.99 (240), rank 22nd in league
6. Dirk - 0.98 (270), rank 26th in league
7. Carmelo - 0.97 (290), rank 28th in league
8. Dwill - 0.95 (266), rank 33rd in league
9. Dwight (postup) 0.93 (1113), as postup ranked 56nd in league
10. Lebron - 0.92 (556), rank 49th in league
10a. Roy - 0.92 (220), rank 49th in league
11. Wade - 0.91 (350), rank 56th in the league
11a. Nash - 0.91 (191), rank 56th in the league
12. Durant - 0.90 (609), rank 61st in league
12a. Griffin (postup) - 0.90 (552), as postup ranked 67th in league
13. Randolph (postup) - 0.89 (714), as postup ranked 74th in league
14. Pierce - 0.89 (240), rank 70th in league
15. Jamal Crawford - 0.88 (242), rank 74th in league
16. Westbrook - 0.87 (535), rank 84th in league
17. Amare - 0.85 (664), rank 102nd in league
18. Monta Ellis - 0.83 (484), rank 116th in league
19. Joe Johnson - 0.81 (477), rank 129th in league

Durant with 609 isolation plays last year. People act like he's Reggie Miller or something. :facepalm

Da Heroic One
10-09-2011, 05:08 AM
The "Melo is better because of his skill-set" argument doesn't make much sense considering Durant in 2011 had a better playoff run than Melo has ever had. You'd think Melo's greater skill-set would shine there with the game slowing down and becoming more of a half-court affair, better defenses, and a lower rate of easy, assisted buckets...and yet Melo has consistently struggled in the post-season outside of 09 and 2010 and Durant in just his second PS put up 29 PPG/8 RPG/3 APG/1/1/58% TS. And there's the fact that Durant leads by a large margin in literally every single stat:

WP/WS/WS48/PER/TS%/Adj +/-/

And the whole idea of Durant not being able to create his own shot is just ridiculous. He's not exactly Jordan, but u don't drop 30 PPG/60% TS for a entire season without being to get your own shot.

Look at this:points per possession in isolation. points per position are followed by attempts in (parenthesis):

1. Rose - 1.05 (481), rank 7th in league
2. Kevin Martin - 1.04 (432), 8th in the league
3. CP3 - 1.01 (304), rank 14th in league
4. Manu Ginobli - 1.0 (216), 18th in the league
5. Kobe - 0.99 (736), rank 22nd in league
5a. Bosh - 0.99 (240), rank 22nd in league
6. Dirk - 0.98 (270), rank 26th in league
7. Carmelo - 0.97 (290), rank 28th in league
8. Dwill - 0.95 (266), rank 33rd in league
9. Dwight (postup) 0.93 (1113), as postup ranked 56nd in league
10. Lebron - 0.92 (556), rank 49th in league
10a. Roy - 0.92 (220), rank 49th in league
11. Wade - 0.91 (350), rank 56th in the league
11a. Nash - 0.91 (191), rank 56th in the league
12. Durant - 0.90 (609), rank 61st in league
12a. Griffin (postup) - 0.90 (552), as postup ranked 67th in league
13. Randolph (postup) - 0.89 (714), as postup ranked 74th in league
14. Pierce - 0.89 (240), rank 70th in league
15. Jamal Crawford - 0.88 (242), rank 74th in league
16. Westbrook - 0.87 (535), rank 84th in league
17. Amare - 0.85 (664), rank 102nd in league
18. Monta Ellis - 0.83 (484), rank 116th in league
19. Joe Johnson - 0.81 (477), rank 129th in league

Durant with 609 isolation plays last year. People act like he's Reggie Miller or something. :facepalm
Which poster from RealGM did you steal from this time? It is pathetic that you make a bunch of accounts and you get banned there everytime. :oldlol:

Jacks3
10-09-2011, 06:12 AM
Huh?

longtime lurker
10-09-2011, 12:15 PM
Carmelo is a better offensive player than Kevin Durant, he has the most complete offensive arsenal next after Kobe. Like many posters have said he doesn't seem like he's even trying half the time, which is shame because he could be so much more. Those George Karl teams really underachieved how could you have Melo, Iverson, Nene, JR Smith, Camby and Kenyon Martin and not do more? Melo needs to commit to rebounding and defence while living up to his scoring potential to challenge for the MVP.

On the flip side there's nothing wrong with the way how Durant scores as long as he's effective. I agree he needs some more go to moves so that so that he can play be a better iso player. At 6'10 on the block he'd be a terror against most SF's. As to who's the better player I'd give a slight edge to Durant because he's done so much at such a young age and because I feel Melo has not truly lived up to his potential.

Ikill
10-09-2011, 12:48 PM
Compare 27ppg and 15.5rpg on 63% to 23.6ppg on 36%. Not even remotely the same. Dwight turned the ball over way too much but that's due to fighting double and triple teams. Westbrook is a terrific slasher and can penetrate defenses like the best of them, there is no doubt about that, but when he was out there collapsing defenses rather than dishing it out to open players, he was forcing up layups and taking way too many ill advised shots. He practically jacked up just as many shots as the league's scoring champ the last two seasons. Actually he probably would have out shot Durant had he played all of game 2, which is insane. And if I'm not mistaken Westbrook was taking more shots than Durant in the 4th quarter. Westbrook's the PG on the team, as in facilitator and doesn't even dime out 5apg.

Does Westbrook deserve all the blame? Of course not, but he played like crap. That's not even debatable. Can't really say the same for Dwight performance.

And I was "just sayin'" as in "just sayin'" like a funny coincidence.
What double and triple teams i'm pretty sure the Hawks gameplan was to not double him. The fact is the Magic won when Dwight didn't get the ball every single time he's a black hole. Westbrook needed to score for the Thunder because every one else including Durant was getting shut down.

Ikill
10-09-2011, 12:50 PM
Carmelo is a better offensive player than Kevin Durant, he has the most complete offensive arsenal next after Kobe. Like many posters have said he doesn't seem like he's even trying half the time, which is shame because he could be so much more. Those George Karl teams really underachieved how could you have Melo, Iverson, Nene, JR Smith, Camby and Kenyon Martin and not do more? Melo needs to commit to rebounding and defence while living up to his scoring potential to challenge for the MVP.

On the flip side there's nothing wrong with the way how Durant scores as long as he's effective. I agree he needs some more go to moves so that so that he can play be a better iso player. At 6'10 on the block he'd be a terror against most SF's. As to who's the better player I'd give a slight edge to Durant because he's done so much at such a young age and because I feel Melo has not truly lived up to his potential.
Those Nuggets teams did not underachive they were overrated

NBAller
10-09-2011, 04:55 PM
Nah, Durant's better. Deal with it.

They both just score, Durant leads the league in scoring. Enough said.

this

/thread

Cali Syndicate
10-09-2011, 05:33 PM
What double and triple teams i'm pretty sure the Hawks gameplan was to not double him. The fact is the Magic won when Dwight didn't get the ball every single time he's a black hole. Westbrook needed to score for the Thunder because every one else including Durant was getting shut down.

Actually you're right about the Hawks game plan. Dwight wasn't getting doubled nearly as often as I thought he was. But that was kinda outside my point.

Westbrook played outside his strengths all series long. Attacking the paint is his forte as is penetrating and dishing out. But instead, he was settling for way too many mid range jumpers and when he did attack, he was forcing it up into double teams. He's more than capable of hitting a mid range shot but when it's not falling he needs to stop taking them. He isn't a pure enough shooter where he should be trying to shoot himself out of a funk.

And you say the Thunder needed Westbrook to score. Well go look at the inconsistency Dwight's teammates were playing at and tell me Dwight's production hurt the Magic as much as Westbrook's inefficiency hurt the Thunder.

In the Magic's game 2 win, the shot distribution was one of the more balanced games of the series in terms of shot distribution with Dwight, Richardson, Jameer and Turk all shooting 12 or more attempts. Outside of Dwight shooting 75%, not ONE of those players even shot 30%. Pathetic. The TEAM ended up shooting 34.6% for the game, the lowest for either team the entire series.

Lebron23
02-02-2012, 11:48 PM
Give me Durant over Melo.

Sarcastic
02-02-2012, 11:50 PM
Give me Durant over Melo.

When Melo knocks Bronze out of the playoffs, I will bump this.

Scoooter
02-02-2012, 11:52 PM
Or better yet, when he knocks Durant out of the Finals. That would more appropriately fit the theme of the thread.

Kyle_korver
02-02-2012, 11:54 PM
Lol Knicks in the playoffs?

Lebron23
02-02-2012, 11:54 PM

Melo is a useless turd, and a very poor leader.

KingBeasley08
02-02-2012, 11:55 PM
:oldlol:

Lebron23
02-02-2012, 11:55 PM

If they trade that piece of $hit. They might make the playoffs this year.

OKCThunderUP
02-02-2012, 11:56 PM

You gotta get to the playoffs first. :oldlol:

PrimeJohnnyDepp
02-03-2012, 12:07 AM
Melo deserves his chance at saving Orlando. Hardcore sandbox wankers need story arc of their bum being in non-elite situation, but trying to reach it again and again...