PDA

View Full Version : Should NBA players someday start their own league? Amare's cool with it

bagelred
10-11-2011, 03:22 PM
Yeah I said it.

Get the plans going now to start in 2012-2013.

Yeah I said it.

It will be tough going at first, but once the organization gets its footing it will ultimately be more profitable for the players.

Yeah I said it.

Paragraph......I mean, Word!

28renyoy
10-11-2011, 03:48 PM
players aren't willing to take the risks plus do you realize how long this would take to set up? you would have to get billions for funding/advertising.

iamgine
10-11-2011, 03:53 PM
Plus the owners are far richer and more powerful. They'll crush this new league with ease.

MeLO MvP 15
10-11-2011, 03:57 PM
Won't happen. It takes a lot of money to finance all the things that go into making a league. Not only would they have to get all the arenas, tv deals and employee stuff done (which is expensive like billions of dollars I think) but they'd also need to organize the whole thing. You really think millionaires are going to risk most of their money on a start up league when they have a sure thing in the NBA?

That would be an absolute disaster and they would never find anywhere near the amount of money necessary to make such a league possible.

They'd be better off financially of just accepting the owners current proposal, going overseas or missing a season.

Sarcastic
10-11-2011, 04:03 PM
Plus the owners are far richer and more powerful. They'll crush this new league with ease.

They can't crush a new league without the top talent.

thejumpa
10-11-2011, 04:22 PM
It would be interesting to see who REALLY has the most leverage. Owners have the money, but players have the talent and already established appeal to fans. I think the players could get some sort of "league" up before the owners could.

MeLO MvP 15
10-11-2011, 04:30 PM
It would be interesting to see who REALLY has the most leverage. Owners have the money, but players have the talent and already established appeal to fans. I think the players could get some sort of "league" up before the owners could.
I disagree. How would they finance this "league"?

The best they could probably do is set up something like the games they've been playing except make somewhat consistent rosters, keep record of who wins and pocket the money instead of donating it (which wouldn't sit well with the fans). That seems like a possibility that could be looked at after Christmas (if those games are lost). But it wouldn't be nearly the same without all the advertisements, arenas, tv deals and stuff all being low rate.

The only way something could actually be somewhat respectful and successful is if a guy like Magic Johnson (just an example and it could be multiple ppl) comes in and invests a lot of money into it. But then it becomes just like the NBA, the players working for somebody else. And I don't think anybody would invest much in a business like that. Maybe Nike could set something up but even that would probably be nothing more than exhibition games.

SCdac
10-11-2011, 04:32 PM
I wonder who would be the first player to hire himself as head coach. Kobe? Lebron? ... that would be something alright.

bagelred
10-11-2011, 05:22 PM
players aren't willing to take the risks plus do you realize how long this would take to set up? you would have to get billions for funding/advertising.

Really? Billions? For what? Explain what the billions are for.

You realize they don't have to actually build arenas right?

pegasus
10-11-2011, 05:31 PM

They would at least have to build planes, because after having flown all those years, I just don't see them taking train or bus. :confusedshrug:

Kevin_Gamble
10-11-2011, 05:43 PM
They would at least have to build planes, because after having flown all those years, I just don't see them taking train or bus. :confusedshrug:

Right, because the only way to fly anywhere is to build your own airplane.

Jasper
10-11-2011, 06:19 PM
Yeah I said it.

Yeah I said it.

It will be tough going at first, but once the organization gets its footing it will ultimately be more profitable for the players.

Yeah I said it.

Paragraph......I mean, Word!

Playgrounds can't hold 15k fans.

But I am in the process of buying an arena.

I'll charge the players $15 for every fan that sits in a seat.

Question is how much will the players charge the fan to sit in those same seats for their overhead ???????

bagelred
10-11-2011, 06:36 PM

Yes, Pegasus they would have to build planes....as well as building factories to make the basketballs.

pegasus
10-11-2011, 07:57 PM
Yes, Pegasus they would have to build planes....as well as building factories to make the basketballs.

No, silly head. They could just buy them at any sports store. :hammerhead:

niko
10-11-2011, 08:10 PM

So the NY franchise would play where? Because MSG wouldn't take it. Where are there huge arenas without teams? And you would show the games on where? Who is paying your TV money? And advertising money? Because people already are tied up in contracts with the NBA.

The league would call an impasse and unilaterally impose a new CBA, one which even if much worse, would be better than a player financed league (in terms of payments). And players also have contracts with Nike, etc. which specifically ties to them playing in the NBA.

You can't build a new NBA.

Sarcastic
10-11-2011, 08:10 PM
It's funny to see all the people who think it can't be done, as if it has never happened before...

When it comes to basketball, the logo on the front of the jersey is the least important aspect.

BlueandGold
10-11-2011, 08:13 PM
Would be a great idea. I've said it before. With all the players on board you wouldn't need advertising, it would sell itself. All you need to play a basketball game is a basketball court, a basketball and the players and coaches. People would pay to see Kobe, Lebron, Wade, Dwight or any other big name NBA player play, regardless of the venue. It's not like the fans are paying money to see the owners sit in their press box all day.

BarberSchool
10-11-2011, 08:19 PM
Yeah I said it.

Yeah I said it.

Yeah I said it.

Paragraph......I mean, Word!I'd bet on Dr. J's ABA having success....I doubt a player-owned league would be able to suceed or even be initially adequately capitalized. But I really would relish seeing the Donald Tokowitzes of the world get their prestigious cash cows taken away from them. Dr. J's ABA will actually get some star talent if the lockout persists too long.

BarberSchool
10-11-2011, 08:21 PM
It's not like the fans are paying money to see the owners sit in their press box all day.This man finds that statement repugnant:

http://graneyandthepig.files.wordpress.com/2009/05/donaldsterling.jpghttp://media.syracuse.com/sports/photo/9344276-large.jpg

brisbaneman
10-11-2011, 08:36 PM
A league run by a collection of guys with a sub 90 IQ...makes sense to me!

iamgine
10-11-2011, 08:36 PM
They can't crush a new league without the top talent.
They can if they want.

Sarcastic
10-11-2011, 08:43 PM
They can if they want.

With what players? No one is tuning in if Sasha Vujacic is the best the NBA has to offer.

NuggetsFan
10-11-2011, 08:45 PM
Wait to people actually think this is possible? :oldlol:

First off you'd have to get all 300+ players to agree on everything as well as all the college guy's coming up. Once this happened the NBA would unlock and throw money at guy's and you'd probably end up with 2 separate league's both with glaring holes. That's if you find enough investors for everything that's needed to run a team. NBA players simply aren't rich enough to man a 20 league team. You need to hire medical staff, coaches etc. There's reason why all the NBA players can do right now is put on street ball games, it's the only thing that's realistic.

If anything the only possibility the NBA could be took over is if a group of investors came up with this idea and tried to poach away the NBA players. Even than there's a reason it hasn't happened, the NBA is the definition of an established business. They have the market, TV contracts, Arenas, Owners. Everything. Right now they just lack the players, witch will eventually come to an end because the players know it's there only longterm option. Kobe Bryant knows it. LeBron knows it. Mike Miller knows it.

They'll never be another successful basketball league like the NBA in North American anytime soon. Period. It's not even arguable.

Sarcastic
10-11-2011, 08:45 PM
A league run by a collection of guys with a sub 90 IQ...makes sense to me!

Sounds like the NBA right now.

You think the owners do anything themselves? They hire lawyers and consultants just like every other business.

iamgine
10-11-2011, 08:48 PM
With what players? No one is tuning in if Sasha Vujacic is the best the NBA has to offer.
Oh they will beg to come back.

NuggetsFan
10-11-2011, 08:50 PM
It's funny to see all the people who think it can't be done, as if it has never happened before...

When it comes to basketball, the logo on the front of the jersey is the least important aspect.

To the fans maybe. Not even than. There's still a mass majority who love the game of basketball and the team they root for. Diehard Bucks fans aren't watching the NBA for LeBron James alone. Sure as shit aren't alot of them but basketball fans still exist.

Plus it's what goes on beyond the game that really makes the NBA tick and in the regard the players are simply a piece of the puzzle, just as the owners.

Undervaluing the impact an organized league has. There's a reason why nobody gives a f*ck about the drew league. Tons of talent there.

Sarcastic

First off you'd have to get all 300+ players to agree on everything as well as all the college guy's coming up. Once this happened the NBA would unlock and throw money at guy's and you'd probably end up with 2 separate league's both with glaring holes. That's if you find enough investors for everything that's needed to run a team. NBA players simply aren't rich enough to man a 20 league team. You need to hire medical staff, coaches etc. There's reason why all the NBA players can do right now is put on street ball games, it's the only thing that's realistic.

If anything the only possibility the NBA could be took over is if a group of investors came up with this idea and tried to poach away the NBA players. Even than there's a reason it hasn't happened, the NBA is the definition of an established business. They have the market, TV contracts, Arenas, Owners. Everything. Right now they just lack the players, witch will eventually come to an end because the players know it's there only longterm option. Kobe Bryant knows it. LeBron knows it. Mike Miller knows it.

They'll never be another successful basketball league like the NBA in North American anytime soon. Period. It's not even arguable.

There are 1200 billionaires on the planet. There are 450 NBA quality players on the planet.

It would be much easier to replace the owners than it would be to replace the players. Simple math tells us so.

Sarcastic

There are 1200 billionaires on the planet. There are 450 NBA quality players on the planet.

It would be much easier to replace the owners than it would be to replace the players. Simple math tells us so.

B
10-11-2011, 08:51 PM
They can if they want.Yep. A new league would never be big enough to give jobs to all the active players and rookies. They might be able to field a few teams but the NBA owners who already have things in place with billion dollar TV contracts would just scoop up anyone who didn't play in the new league, better coaching, better facilities better pay yada yada yada a new league would last one season and fold up like a cheap house when guys like Lebron look at the NBA and see rudy gay making 5 times more than he is and doing it on National TV in primetime.

iamgine
10-11-2011, 08:53 PM

Not to mention the 30 billionaires that's gonna totally cockblock that new league.

NuggetsFan
10-11-2011, 08:55 PM

And there's a reason those people are billionaires. They take calculated risks. There smart with there money. Do you think a guy is going to invest all his money to own a team to rival the NBA in a market like Milwuakee? Denver even? No there not. Right off the bat you'd end up with like 5-8 teams probably. Yeah LeBron is going to leave to play in a league like that. These guy's LOVE what the NBA provides. The marketing. The venues. The competition. Think people are going to tune in to watch Kobe play a bunch of scrubs? NBA would throw tons of money at the middle tier guy's. College players coming up through the draft. It'd hurt both leagues.

It simply can't happen and it won't happen. ALOT of things would need to happen for it to work. Maybe 15 years down the line the NBA faulters massively but as of right now it'd be impossible.

NuggetsFan
10-11-2011, 08:57 PM
You'd need a group of 15-25 guy's who are LOADED and don't care about taking an L. Guy's who'd be willing to take huge losses over an extended period of time.

NBA players couldn't do it themselves. It's not even a realistic question.

B
10-11-2011, 09:27 PM

It would be much easier to replace the owners than it would be to replace the players. Simple math tells us so. And yet not one of them will step up and buy the Hornets but you think a handfull of them would be willing to dump hundreds of million on a league that has little chance of success

BlueandGold
10-11-2011, 09:28 PM

Actually you would most likely only need 90% of the superstars to sign off and then 60-75% of the mid-level to bi-annual exception pay-scale players to sign off along with a few sympathetic ex-player and/or celebrity investors (Michael Jordan, Magic Johnson, Jay Z, etc) to make this happen. This is obviously all hypothetical but regardless it's much more plausible than just saying that a players owned league is impossible. It's highly plausible if you look at how far the players have come in the last couple of decades, as far as bargaining power and individual wealth.

BarberSchool
10-11-2011, 09:29 PM
Not to mention the 30 billionaires that's gonna totally cockblock that new league.Television and advertising executives and stadium owners will forget those 30 billionaires quickly and hop on the bankroll of any new blood in almost every market. Life is short. SHorter for these crusty old billionaires.

NuggetsFan
10-11-2011, 09:36 PM
Actually you would most likely only need 90% of the superstars to sign off and then 60-75% of the mid-level to bi-annual exception pay-scale players to sign off along with a few sympathetic ex-player and/or celebrity investors (Michael Jordan, Magic Johnson, Jay Z, etc) to make this happen. This is obviously all hypothetical but regardless it's much more plausible than just saying that a players owned league is impossible. It's highly plausible if you look at how far the players have come in the last couple of decades, as far as bargaining power and individual wealth.

Um what? So the league would only be ran be the superstars? Derek Fisher wouldn't get a say on how the league was ran?. I'd assume every single player that was to be part of this league would vote on a commisner\rules. They'd have to agree on hand checking, roster spots etc. schedules. List goes on. That's not even thinking about the $ side of things. Jay-Z is part owner of the Nets.

That's why if there was another league to show up it wouldn't be from the players. Plus they don't have enough money to run an NBA like league.

Serious question what person is going to pour money into the small market area's?

B
10-11-2011, 09:39 PM
Television and advertising executives and stadium owners will forget those 30 billionaires quickly and hop on the bankroll of any new blood in almost every market. Life is short. SHorter for these crusty old billionaires.
Forget those 30 Billionaires?

In what world does Disney or TNT forget 30 billionaires and back out of a multi year multi billion dollar contract and expose themselves to the largest lawsuit to come down in the history of sports? In what world do the owners of the Miami areana tell Mickey Arinson to take a hike... lol you guys are looney tunes
:roll: :roll: :roll:

NuggetsFan
10-11-2011, 09:41 PM
[QUOTE=B

RazorBaLade
10-11-2011, 09:46 PM
imo the goal of doing this would be to scare nba to signing a deal/merging, not actually createa self sustaining new league for long term

but contracts wopuld be void so.......

G-train
10-11-2011, 09:48 PM
Impossible.

Rooster
10-11-2011, 10:46 PM
Most players can't even manage their own money. How can they manage a complex business like NBA.

Beside they will take huge losses and by the time they can break even, the billionaires already created new superstars from colleges and all over the world.

bagelred
10-11-2011, 11:01 PM
Wow, there's alot of really small thinkers in this thread.

You really think it would be that hard to start a new league? You create an organizing body of really smart business types to make it happen. The players don't run the league. They hire smart people to do it for them.

You don't think investors would line up to help this new league get on its feet?

They already have the most imporant part of a league...THE PLAYERS....essentially THE CONTENT. Some TV deals, arena deals, sponsorships, investors....it'll take work and take a few years to work out the kinks, but ultimately better for players in long run.

Think differently.

winwin
10-11-2011, 11:19 PM
it doesn't has to be only ''Players'' Owned League
people (fans) can buy sahres..

New Basketball League + New Franchises

for fcuk sake it's been 30 years and Stern is still there
a revolution needed .. no more family businesses

ownership

(rights of ownership to the public using shares)

LBJ and Wade can establish a franchise and have 51% of the shares
same thing goes for the super stars and the rest of players GM's trainers etc
the public and basketball fans can buy shares

as 97 bulls said
Since players are irreplaceable
Bottom line, flatout. Which honestly is something you can't say for the owners, GM'S, trainers, ballboys, etc. You don't have a grocery store without gorceries.

- In business, your two biggest costs are the actual product your selling and labor. The players in this case are both.
- players don't need the owners to play basketball.
- Millions of people are willing to pay top dollar to watch them

but i know the 1% who control America won't allow this to happen, but it's ok to dream

http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/showthread.php?p=6359514#post6359514

winwin
10-11-2011, 11:22 PM
This won't happen...

Funding = shares
Crappy product will result, because they'll make all sorts of dumb rules
Most likely, it will be a No-D league... = only NBA people know?:confusedshrug: without them we have no basketball :rolleyes:

No Arenas Either... = WTF
= bolded

Sarcastic
10-11-2011, 11:36 PM
[QUOTE=B

G-train
10-11-2011, 11:36 PM

You really think it would be that hard to start a new league? You create an organizing body of really smart business types to make it happen. The players don't run the league. They hire smart people to do it for them.

You don't think investors would line up to help this new league get on its feet?

They already have the most imporant part of a league...THE PLAYERS....essentially THE CONTENT. Some TV deals, arena deals, sponsorships, investors....it'll take work and take a few years to work out the kinks, but ultimately better for players in long run.

Think differently.

Its legally impossible. It can't happen.

G-train
10-11-2011, 11:37 PM
The Hornets actually would have numerous buyers if the NBA would allow them to move from New Orleans.

4-5 would keep it there
http://www.nola.com/hornets/index.ssf/2011/08/nba_chief_david_stern_says_4_o.html

bagelred
10-11-2011, 11:40 PM
Its legally impossible. It can't happen.

Wait.....what? :lol What are you talking about?

G-train
10-11-2011, 11:55 PM
Wait.....what? :lol What are you talking about?

Without having to go into all the legalities, it would end up in court and the NBA would win.

NuggetsFan
10-11-2011, 11:59 PM

It's called being realistic.

The "really smart business types" would know how risky it is. Period. There's a reason it hasn't been done. There's been scandals, expansions. Stern is universally hated by the basketball fans. A ref went to jail for fixing games. You don't think it hasn't crossed the minds of people like Marc Cuban? There's a reason why nobody has seriously attempted.

You are sooooo far off with the players being the most important part. It's like a car. Every single part plays it's role and is needed. Look at the offseason, the drew league and all these games. There's your talent. You need established refs, venue's, scoutings, medical staff, a commish who's ran a league and knows what he's doing. You'd have the same questions of player salaries. Good luck getting everybody to agree on that in a brand new league.

Owners and players both need eachother. Like I said earlier people downplay the value of an organized sports league. There's a reason why people don't go out and make there own MLB|NBA|NFL.

Think differently

You just need to actually think. You don't think the NBA isn't going to do anything about it? They would cave there lockout. Owners would be handing out contracts within minutes. The NBA has 30 franchises. A new league? Be lucky to get 10 teams to start off. Good luck getting investors to throw there money into alot of these markets, esp with NBA teams to compete with from the start.

G-train
10-12-2011, 12:00 AM
A practical reason why this cant happen is that the NBA has the rights to pretty much all the arenas.

G-train
10-12-2011, 12:04 AM
They wouldn't get a TV contract of any value either, as a large network would ruin their relationship with NBA in doing so.

G-train
10-12-2011, 12:06 AM
Players would leave, but then other players would stay and vote in an agreement. Including the best players, who would get 1/20 of the salary they would get in a new league compared to even the worst case scenario with the NBA.

NoGunzJustSkillz
10-12-2011, 12:08 AM
:roll:

winwin
lol there will be no more NBA ...

NoGunzJustSkillz
:roll:

Sarcastic
10-12-2011, 12:21 AM
:lol @ there being so many risks. The teams appreciate at about 7-10% in bad markets in a bad economy. The only hard thing would be to come up with the capital.

This country has already had 2 basketball leagues competing against each at the same time. If a new league could get all the superstar players to defect away from the NBA, then the NBA would be completely dead.

G-train
10-12-2011, 12:26 AM
:lol @ there being so many risks. The teams appreciate at about 7-10% in bad markets in a bad economy. The only hard thing would be to come up with the capital.

This country has already had 2 basketball leagues competing against each at the same time. If a new league could get all the superstar players to defect away from the NBA, then the NBA would be completely dead.

The superstars would rather play for 30% BRI in current league than the income they would make in a new one.

Hondo
10-12-2011, 01:10 AM
It's comeback time....................

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/3/39/ABA_logo.gif

Sarcastic
10-12-2011, 01:16 AM
The superstars would rather play for 30% BRI in current league than the income they would make in a new one.

30% of BRI is 1.2 billion. You think a new league would be worse than NHL? :facepalm

You're absolutely clueless.

G-train
10-12-2011, 01:18 AM
30% of BRI is 1.2 billion. You think a new league would be worse than NHL? :facepalm

You're absolutely clueless.

Sounds like you are.

knicksman
10-12-2011, 02:16 AM

If NCAA can crush the nba then NBA with NCAA talent can crush the new form league.

knicksman
10-12-2011, 02:20 AM

LOL what a dumbass. There are more people who can play basketball than billionaires.

knicksman
10-12-2011, 02:29 AM

Think differently.

yeah coz by renaming owners to investors, they would now have different mindset. Those investors would now be willing to take losses unlike the owners. LOL owners and investors are just the same so if the owners locked out the players coz their investment arent growing, investors too would do the same. If the players want to retain what they earn then good luck finding an investor.

DJ Leon Smith
10-12-2011, 03:46 AM
I can't believe people think the players can just start up their own league as if it's as easy as registering a domain name and hiring a court.

Think about it this way - you'd make more money if you owned wherever you work right now, so tomorrow you should quit your job and start up a business in your line of work where you're the owner. I mean, it's not that hard is it? Of course it's hard and the players simply don't have the resources, and as much as they want more money from the owners most wouldn't want to take the risks where they could lose money if their team isn't profitable.

Walker
10-12-2011, 05:28 AM
Three letters for anyone who actually think this would work...

XFL

Never heard of it? Not surprised.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/XFL

Two of the most successful business men of this era, Vince McMahon and Ted Turner, with all the resources of two multi billion dollar companies, WWE and Time Warner couldn't get a new professional league off the ground.
They had the stadiums, had the TV deals. They tried everything to poach players from the NFL. How many crossed over? None.
Why? These guys have 10 odd years to make their money, the money that has to fund the rest of their lives. You think players are gonna give up guarenteed money and take a risk on a new start up league, wake up.

The sheer amount of money need to start a professional league is absurd. Vince McMahon (multi billionaire, not like these multi millionaires) reportedly lost half his net worth in the venture.
And you really think these players are going to put up their money to do it? :oldlol:

bagelred
10-12-2011, 08:01 AM

XFL

That's because the NFL was still around. The NFL had all the name players. XFL was a league of scrubs. (other problems too but that was the main one).

This new "Bball Players League" would have ALL THE STARS. HUGE HUGE difference.

What are you going to watch? This new league with Lebron, Kobe, Howard, etc.? Or the NBA with scrubs?

Don't answer, it was rhetorical.

bagelred
10-12-2011, 08:09 AM
I can't believe people think the players can just start up their own league as if it's as easy as registering a domain name and hiring a court.

Who says its easy? Any time you start a new business venture it takes time. But why do people think its impossible? I don't get it. Businessmen start new ventures all the time with MUCH MORE risk and needing MUCH more capital than this one. You already have the most important part....the content (players).

Such small small thinkers....amazing. I suppose everything we've ever done in human history was too difficult also. Yet here we are.

It wouldn't be nearly as difficult as some of you think it would be. The XFL was a failure, but they DID IT. Meaning, they put games togethers, had TV contracts, got stadiums to play in, referees, etc. etc. So how hard would it be for a new basketball league to be put together? Probably would be easier than that. Less players, less coaching staff, less referrees, less team equipment.....yada yada.......but this league would be a success, because we'll be watching the stars, not the scrubs.

bagelred
10-12-2011, 09:42 AM
http://espn.go.com/new-york/nba/story/_/id/7088249/amare-stoudemire-new-york-knicks-says-players-talked-starting-own-league

NEW YORK -- If the NBA lockout forces the cancellation of the 2011-12 season, New York Knicks forward Amare Stoudemire says players will give "serious" consideration to starting their own league.

According to Stoudemire, the possibility of forming an alternate league already has been discussed among players.

"Obviously we're trying to ... get this lockout resolved. We want to play NBA basketball. But if it doesn't happen what are we gonna do? We can't just sit around and not do anything. So we have to figure out ways to now continue to play basketball at a high level against top competition and have fun doing it. So, that's the next step," Stoudemire said Tuesday night at a Manhattan Footlocker to promote his new sneaker, the Nike Air Max Sweep Thru.

There are, of course, many hurdles to be cleared before players get an alternate league off the ground. Among those include finding a source for player salaries, game venues, broadcast rights and player insurance, just to name a few.

Without addressing logistics, Stoudemire believes starting another league is an idea players will explore.

"If we don't go to Europe, then let's start our own league; that's how I see it," the 6-foot-11 forward/center said.

Stoudemire was asked to gauge "how serious" the idea is being considered.

"It's very, very serious. It's just a matter of us strategically coming up with a plan, a blueprint and putting it together," he said. "So we'll see how this lockout goes. If it goes one or two years, then we've got to start our own league."

Guess Amare is just delusional too.

knicksman
10-12-2011, 10:12 AM
Who says its easy? Any time you start a new business venture it takes time. But why do people think its impossible? I don't get it. Businessmen start new ventures all the time with MUCH MORE risk and needing MUCH more capital than this one. You already have the most important part....the content (players).

Such small small thinkers....amazing. I suppose everything we've ever done in human history was too difficult also. Yet here we are.

It wouldn't be nearly as difficult as some of you think it would be. The XFL was a failure, but they DID IT. Meaning, they put games togethers, had TV contracts, got stadiums to play in, referees, etc. etc. So how hard would it be for a new basketball league to be put together? Probably would be easier than that. Less players, less coaching staff, less referrees, less team equipment.....yada yada.......but this league would be a success, because we'll be watching the stars, not the scrubs.

You assume that nba owners cant outbid. Lets assume that the nba remove the max salary cap on players, do you think the owners cant pay lebron or wade 30M each? And even if lebron and kobe decides to form their own league, most stars will still be tempted to play for the nba if they are offered 30M Compared to 3 million or even 0 in their new league. Coz im sure they would be incurring losses in their first few years just like XFL. If 80% of the stars remains, then most fans would still prefer watching NBA coz thats where the competition is. Thats why they cant just form their own league coz they cant just assure the loyalty of players due to being tempted of having a higher offer. These players can only play for 10 years and so they want to get paid as early as possible.

insidehoops
10-12-2011, 10:14 AM
Amar'e Stoudemire suggested yesterday that players should consider starting their own league in the future, but only if the lockout goes 1-2 YEARS:

Skim-read this: http://www.insidehoops.com/blog/?p=8435

DJ Leon Smith
10-12-2011, 10:16 AM
Why don't they do it then? Flat out say to the owners we can do your job, we don't need you, we can make owner money, thanks for the negotiations but we'll take it from here.

Because realistically they can't. You think if they could make more money as owners of their own league they wouldn't be doing it by now? Amare even says if the lockout goes for another one or two years they'll look at it then. It's posturing.

pegasus
10-12-2011, 10:46 AM

Let me introduce you to each other.

Sarcasm, this is Idiot. Idiot, this is Sarcasm.

Rowe
10-12-2011, 10:53 AM
Melo just mentioned them starting a players league.

bagelred
10-12-2011, 11:28 AM
Who keeps changing my thread titles? Jesus Christ.

2LeTTeRS
10-12-2011, 11:55 AM
I think creating a whole new league is unrealistic, but at the end of the day the players don't need to have an actual league to keep interest/generate money. Some of these Players are stars and because of that people will pay to watch them play with or without their NBA teams. Its up to them to capitilize on it.

Just think about it, wouldn't you have liked to see some of those famed games we've heard about all summer where the biggest stars were playing on street ball courts? All the Players (or their representatives) would have to do is secure a TV deal to televise those games and sponsors to finance it. With the association that certain players already have with companies like Nike, Coca-Cola, etc. I doubt they would have to look very far to find a powerful sponsor. This is so obvious to me that its amazing to me that with the amount of money players pay for lawyers, agents and managers that nobody has tried to put this plan into motion.

Not trying to be harsh, but when I think about how much money the Players would have generated if they put the right business mentality into these "celebrity classic" type of games they've been having I think some of these guys should be fired.

But luckily for the Players its not too late. I still honestly belief that if they can get 10 or so stars interested and have decent squads featuring mostly NBA players around them I can see this working.

2LeTTeRS
10-12-2011, 12:02 PM

XFL

Never heard of it? Not surprised.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/XFL

Two of the most successful business men of this era, Vince McMahon and Ted Turner, with all the resources of two multi billion dollar companies, WWE and Time Warner couldn't get a new professional league off the ground.
They had the stadiums, had the TV deals. They tried everything to poach players from the NFL. How many crossed over? None.
Why? These guys have 10 odd years to make their money, the money that has to fund the rest of their lives. You think players are gonna give up guarenteed money and take a risk on a new start up league, wake up.

The sheer amount of money need to start a professional league is absurd. Vince McMahon (multi billionaire, not like these multi millionaires) reportedly lost half his net worth in the venture.
And you really think these players are going to put up their money to do it? :oldlol:

If the XFL had started during a lockout the 2 situations would be comparable. As it stands there is no comparison because the NFL already had the best players under contract.

Sarcastic
10-12-2011, 12:36 PM
I am pretty sure the players weren't allowed to play for profit this summer as per being in the union. Otherwise players would play in barnstorming leagues in the off season all the time.

winwin
10-13-2011, 05:38 AM
yeah