PDA

View Full Version : Bryant Gumbel calls David Stern "Plantation Overseer"

bagelred
10-19-2011, 09:31 AM
http://www.nbcnewyork.com/news/sports/Bryant-Gumbel-Calls-NBA-Commish-Plantation-Overseer-132129268.html

Bryant Gumbel invoked race in a televised editorial on the NBA's strained labor talks, likening league Commissioner David Stern to a "plantation overseer."

Gumbel ended Tuesday's edition of HBO's "Real Sports" by taking aim at Stern, who he said is to blame for the lockout that threatens the entire season. He said Stern's "disdain for the players" is "pathetic."

"But his efforts were typical of a commissioner, who has always seemed eager to be viewed as some kind of modern plantation overseer treating NBA men as if they were his boys," Gumbel said. "It’s part of Stern’s M.O. Like his past self-serving edicts on dress code or the questioning of officials, his moves are intended to do little more than show how he’s the one keeping the hired hands in their place."

Bagelred is playing the race card.......for a popular thread.:cheers: It's easy to push buttons........:banana:

"How DARE he say that." Am I right white people?

"Bryant Gumbel is so RIGHT". Am I right black people?

"Native Americans had it WORSE". Am I right indians?

"Bryant Gumbel es loco". Am I right Hispanicos?

"And that's where they BELONG!!!!" Am I right Tea Partiers?

"This is soooooooooo antisemitic!!!" Am I right fellow Jews?

Let's do this!!! 50 pages long!!!! Go at it!!!

J_Rock3ts
10-19-2011, 09:38 AM
Bryant Gumbel really does look like Malcom X now!

Sarcastic
10-19-2011, 09:55 AM
Denial is not just a river in Egypt.

HylianNightmare
10-19-2011, 09:56 AM
zing

miamiandorlando
10-19-2011, 09:57 AM
http://www.nbcnewyork.com/news/sports/Bryant-Gumbel-Calls-NBA-Commish-Plantation-Overseer-132129268.html

Bagelred is playing the race card.......for a popular thread.:cheers: It's easy to push buttons........:banana:

:oldlol:

Dizzle-2k7
10-19-2011, 10:00 AM
lowblow by Gumbel..

the dress code was about the IMAGE of the NBA not portraying your local highschool/middle school wannabe gangsters. nobody wants to see grown men, who are MILLIONAIRES, show up to a game dressed up like thugs plain and simple.

david stern is about $$$$$$, he could give a *** what color you are.

Blue&Orange
10-19-2011, 10:09 AM
He's right, because dress codes is something that don't exist anywhere else but the NBA, and questioning the refs is something that is allowed in every sport...

oh wait... :facepalm :facepalm

Maybe if the players weren't morons with low IQ, stern didn't had to treat them like they were morons with low IQ, just a thought.

Looking at Wade, If anything the respect the game was to lenient, and i can't understand how someone that is remotely intelligent can argue against the dress code.

Unbelievable how people by now don't understand that Stern is just a employee, he is doing what the owners tell him to do.

Sarcastic
10-19-2011, 10:11 AM
lowblow by Gumbel..

the dress code was about the IMAGE of the NBA not portraying your local highschool/middle school wannabe gangsters. nobody wants to see grown men, who are MILLIONAIRES, show up to a game dressed up like thugs plain and simple.

david stern is about $$$$$$, he could give a *** what color you are.

Look at how this guy dresses, and he is an owner.

http://www.darwinsmoney.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/02/mark_cuban.jpg

Who cares how rich people dress? We don't watch the players to see their street clothes. We watch them play basketball in basketball uniforms.

I have absolutely no problem with Stern enforcing any type of dress codes on the court. That is perfectly within his boundary. But putting in a dress code for street clothes is over stepping his bounds.

bagelred
10-19-2011, 12:11 PM
Bryant Gumbel really does look like Malcom X now!

What is THAT supposed to mean :eek:

DAMN....you all gonna take that?

AlphaWolf24
10-19-2011, 12:16 PM

" I weally feel sowwy for his Mudda" Am I right Asians?:confusedshrug:

fixed....

how you forget bout the asians man??.....they make up half the population

Snicklefritz
10-19-2011, 12:16 PM
Denial is not just a river in Egypt.

Quoting Glassjaw on ISH?

Err, guess Mark Twain said it first.

J_Rock3ts
10-19-2011, 12:33 PM

Lol, it's a reference to a Dave Chappelle skit. When Paul Mooney was asked why white people love Wayne Brady so much, he claimed "because he makes Bryant Gumbel look like Malcom X."

Kblaze8855
10-19-2011, 12:52 PM
nobody wants to see grown men, who are MILLIONAIRES, show up to a game dressed up like thugs plain and simple.

Any chance you could describe how they looked like "thugs" without just pointing out that they dressed like young black people? Id like to know what you think the difference between those two is.

Hammertime
10-19-2011, 01:02 PM
Any chance you could describe how they looked like "thugs" without just pointing out that they dressed like young black people? Id like to know what you think the difference between those two is.

According to white America, none.

It makes no difference whether this is racist or not. White America still makes up the majority of NBA's fan base. They come to the games, they buy merchandise, they pay everyone's bills. Now, the NBA could've a launched some major civil rights campaign to change the views of middle-aged white people, or they could've just made players dress like stock brokers. Which one's easier?

Rowe
10-19-2011, 01:24 PM
According to white America, none.

It makes no difference whether this is racist or not. White America still makes up the majority of NBA's fan base. They come to the games, they buy merchandise, they pay everyone's bills. Now, the NBA could've a launched some major civil rights campaign to change the views of middle-aged white people, or they could've just made players dress like stock brokers. Which one's easier?

The irony is that the way NBA players now dress is considered the new "fresh" style for young Black males. Just a trip to the club will tell you how everybody is dressing. Nobody is wearing oversized jerseys, baggy jeans, or chains. That fad played out much like the shiny suits, over-alls, Timberlands, & the Rocawear Jean Jacket combo.

To be honest, I dont think much has changed with the perception of NBA players from that ignorant segment of the population. They may dress "professional" but on the court they appear as the same "thug" perception that has been created off them based on what? I know it involves Allen Iverson, but I really dont understand where the perception of Iverson became the standard perception of all NBA players. When I see non-NBA fans who are mostly White sit around and use so many stereotypes of NBA players it really makes me wonder as to what made them feel that way in the first place. These guys are no different than the Black players in the NFL or MLB, yet somewhere along the line the perception of them is even worse and its hard for many to be seen in a great light unlike past NBA players.

We have so many guys in the NBA who handle themselves extremely well on & off the court and they are still stereotyped as being some dumb thug criminal just because they play in the NBA.

Scoooter
10-19-2011, 01:26 PM

http://www.darwinsmoney.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/02/mark_cuban.jpg

Who cares how rich people dress? We don't watch the players to see their street clothes. We watch them play basketball in basketball uniforms.

I have absolutely no problem with Stern enforcing any type of dress codes on the court. That is perfectly within his boundary. But putting in a dress code for street clothes is over stepping his bounds.
The dress code only applies to NBA events and stuff, If I'm not mistaken. Arriving and departing games, charity stuff, press conferences, etc. In their free time they're allowed to wear whatever they want. Perfectly reasonable.

insidehoops
10-19-2011, 01:30 PM
My response to Gumbel's comments at the bottom here:

http://www.insidehoops.com/blog/?p=8471

Scoooter
10-19-2011, 01:36 PM
That's some pretty inflammatory rhetoric by the way. I wonder how pervasive that type of opinion of Stern is.

Rowe
10-19-2011, 01:37 PM
The dress code only applies to NBA events and stuff, If I'm not mistaken. Arriving and departing games, charity stuff, press conferences, etc. In their free time they're allowed to wear whatever they want. Perfectly reasonable.

Like I said before the irony is that they dress the same way at NBA related events as they do outside in their free time.

Thats just the modern "urban" style today.

For some reason Stern caved under public pressure because NBA players were showing up to games wearing actual throwback NBA jerseys, baggy jeans, jewelry, etc. That was just the fad of the early 00's. Instead he caved to public pressure from that same ignorant segment of the population who's negative view of NBA players is not just due to their style of dress. Those same people still dont view NBA players in a different light, and it can be due to a mix of their race, name, background, tattoos, salary, etc.

Just a quick read through the comments on Yahoo or ESPN and its just amazing at how much disdain there is for NBA players as people, not just players. You never see the level of disdain for NFL players to the extent it is for NBA players. A story on Calvin Johnson isnt going to turn up with 20 comments claiming hes stupid, a thug, or hes going to go broke and be on Welfare once his career is over. Yet a story on Durant's tattoos generates a whole wave of negative comments for a guy who has been nothing but a class act in his young career.

I cant even go through the comment sections on either site because I'd end up arguing on there with narrow-minded idiots.

Sarcastic
10-19-2011, 01:38 PM
My response to Gumbel's comments at the bottom here:

http://www.insidehoops.com/blog/?p=8471

You said:

[QUOTE]though almost every company has dress codes one way or another

Hammertime
10-19-2011, 01:43 PM
For some reason Stern caved under public pressure because NBA players were showing up to games wearing actual throwback NBA jerseys, baggy jeans, jewelry, etc. That was just the fad of the early 00's. Instead he caved to public pressure from that same ignorant segment of the population who's negative view of NBA players is not just due to their style of dress.

He didn't cave, it's just good business. The NBA is first and foremost a business. You're selling a product, and you cater to people's wishes about the product. If people don't wanna see guys wearing bling, you make them dress differently. All about selling your product.

I could go on for days about how Apple shifted the focus of electronics from functionality to fashion accessory, but all they did was cater to what the people wanted. Same as the NBA.

If the NBA fan base is racist, then they're racist. It's not as if it's the league's job to lead another Civil Rights movement. Their job is to sell pro basketball.

Sarcastic
10-19-2011, 01:45 PM
He didn't cave, it's just good business. The NBA is first and foremost a business. You're selling a product, and you cater to people's wishes about the product. If people don't wanna see guys wearing bling, you make them dress differently. All about selling your product.

I could go on for days about how Apple shifted the focus of electronics from functionality to fashion accessory, but all they did was cater to what the people wanted. Same as the NBA.

If the NBA fan base is racist, then they're racist. It's not as if it's the league's job to lead another Civil Rights movement. Their job is to sell pro basketball.

That view doesn't represent the entire NBA fan base, just a small segment. Most NBA fans are from inner cities and dressed the same exact way.

Rowe
10-19-2011, 01:47 PM
You said:

Your mistake there is comparing the NBA to some regular company. It is the entertainment industry. Not a bank, or retail outlet, or tech company, or anything like that.

The NBA is part of the entertainment industry. Are actors told how to dress when coming and going to the set? Are musicians told how to dress when showing up for a concert?

There is absolutely no problem with telling the players how to dress on the court. Wear socks, tuck jerseys in, what type of accessories are permissible. That's all fine since it is part of the NBA product. I get the dress code for the post game interviews as well. That is part of the product too. But off the court walking into a building is not part of the NBA product.

One of the players that was singled out from this was Tim Duncan. He used to wear like flannel shirts or some dumpy outfit. Would anyone consider Duncan to be a thug?

Well said.

Last I checked there is no NFL dress code, and guys show up wearing what they normally would wear on a Sunday. I've seen both the Ravens and Browns players arrive to the stadium in the last year. These guys are dressed like normal people their age, none of them are forced to wear a suit or a dress shirt & slacks to help change their "image". Some guys were wearing a Hoody & Jeans, others were wearing tracksuits, others were wearing Polo, some wear shirts & slacks, etc. There isnt a camera on them arriving to the stadium, & many do all of their post-game interviews in the lockerroom either shirtless or wearing a wifebeater.

Hammertime
10-19-2011, 01:52 PM
That view doesn't represent the entire NBA fan base, just a small segment. Most NBA fans are from inner cities and dressed the same exact way.

Are you trolling?

http://www.sportsbusinessdaily.com/Daily/Issues/2010/06/Issue-185/The-Back-Of-The-Book/Fan-Demographics-Among-Major-North-American-Sports-Leagues.aspx

NuggetsFan
10-19-2011, 01:53 PM

lol what? That's a pretty absurd statement. Most NBA fans are from inner cities? a huge chunk of the fan base is from China\International. NBA fan base is clearly spread out, can't generalize something that large. It's like saying only people from Canada like hockey.

Dress code makes sense for when your on the bench. I agree with walking into the arena's doesn't really matter much. When players are out and injured sitting there watching the game, it's smart to have them in suits. I don't care personally but could see how it could damage there image when there clothes are hanging off them\tons of bling etc.

bagelred
10-19-2011, 01:56 PM
Lol, it's a reference to a Dave Chappelle skit. When Paul Mooney was asked why white people love Wayne Brady so much, he claimed "because he makes Bryant Gumbel look like Malcom X."

I know the reference!!! You think a white man doesn't know that reference!!! Are you racist?!!!!! HUH!!!!!

#feedingflames

Rowe
10-19-2011, 02:04 PM

The NBA product is on the floor, not in the hallway of the Toyota Center.

Should the NBA change its product on the floor to be more fan friendly if that is what a small segment of the fanbase wants? Do you stop the game and let the players interact with the fans? Do you have segments in which the opposing PG's have a Dougie dance-off at halfcourt? Should a lucky kid get a chance to play for 5 minutes each game? I know all of that sounds ridiculous, but I just described a Harlem Globetrotters game.

Now would that be a good business decision?

In that case you're actually affecting the product being sold which has an effect on the business aspect of it. However, the product isn't being affected by what a player is wearing walking into the arena. That has as much to do with the overall product of the NBA as a business as NBA players appearing on Reality TV shows.

The question is how far should a commisioner go to appease the demands of a segment of the population that wont be pleased? At what point do you draw the line and realize some demands are infringing on a players freedoms.

The NBA fan base isn't racist. It wouldn't exist in this way if it was.

However, there are is a segment of sports fans in general who let actual stereotypes of young Black males effect their view on NBA players as a whole. Some of us diehard NBA fans actually have a good idea of which NBA players are smart, educated, friendly, and handle themselves well off the court. But others dont know. They just see a bunch of super tall Black guys with tattoos, running, dunking, blocking shots, getting upset at calls with the ref, sweating perfusely & just oozing testosterone you can see through your TV. NBA is a manly sport although its a finesse game. We cant pretend to deny that there isn't a stereotype created of the young Black male that doesn't cross paths with the NBA & NFL to an extent.

Rekindled
10-19-2011, 02:16 PM

hmm actually you are wrong

Rowe
10-19-2011, 02:18 PM
lol what? That's a pretty absurd statement. Most NBA fans are from inner cities? a huge chunk of the fan base is from China\International. NBA fan base is clearly spread out, can't generalize something that large. It's like saying only people from Canada like hockey.
I think he meant a majority of people in inner cities are NBA fans.

Which is true.

Basketball is typically an "inner city playground" game. Thus, many people living in an inner city will know the game and be fans of it. You've got some rural places like Indiana, Kentucky, etc that are basketball crazy however in most rural places basketball isnt that popular.

Its why football is the #1 sport because its popular in the "inner city" as well as the rural areas & suburbs. Kids in both areas grow up playing the game and being fans of it.

Dress code makes sense for when your on the bench. I agree with walking into the arena's doesn't really matter much. When players are out and injured sitting there watching the game, it's smart to have them in suits. I don't care personally but could see how it could damage there image when there clothes are hanging off them\tons of bling etc.

Why? Because a segment of the population stereotype young Black males, right? Thus, many unknowingly influence those stereotypes by attempting to be theirself. For those who realize stereotypes exist it causes you to second guess your actions, words, & even your physical appearance to avoid being associated with it. I know this very well from my own experiences going through that.

Well, how is how their dressed on the bench any different than being covered in tattoos and "not smiling" on the court which appears as if they're aggressive.

As a Nuggets fan you should see how those perceptions play a role considering the nicknames of Denver "Thuggets" along with other negative associations placed on your players over the last 5-7 years with Melo, K-Mart, Allen Iverson, JR Smith, Camby, etc. Some may be well deserved due to their off the court trouble, but do you think their image of how they appeared on the court didnt help matters? Denver's a mostly White, conservative, somewhat small city tucked into the mountains without being a major metropolitan area. Do you think some people living in Denver were turned off by the appearance of the players of the team that "represents" Denver?

senelcoolidge
10-19-2011, 02:39 PM
Plantation Overseer..wow. No one is a slave. These guys can play in the league if they want to or not. It's their choice to play in the best basketball league in the world and get paid millions. Of course there are going to be rules, just like in any work place. What's wrong with these people? These guys are not being held against their wills to play basketball in the NBA. They can always go to other places to play.

NuggetsFan
10-19-2011, 02:54 PM
I think he meant a majority of people in inner cities are NBA fans.

Which is true.

Basketball is typically an "inner city playground" game. Thus, many people living in an inner city will know the game and be fans of it. You've got some rural places like Indiana, Kentucky, etc that are basketball crazy however in most rural places basketball isnt that popular.

Its why football is the #1 sport because its popular in the "inner city" as well as the rural areas & suburbs. Kids in both areas grow up playing the game and being fans of it.

Why? Because a segment of the population stereotype young Black males, right? Thus, many unknowingly influence those stereotypes by attempting to be theirself. For those who realize stereotypes exist it causes you to second guess your actions, words, & even your physical appearance to avoid being associated with it. I know this very well from my own experiences going through that.

Well, how is how their dressed on the bench any different than being covered in tattoos and "not smiling" on the court which appears as if they're aggressive.

As a Nuggets fan you should see how those perceptions play a role considering the nicknames of Denver "Thuggets" along with other negative associations placed on your players over the last 5-7 years with Melo, K-Mart, Allen Iverson, JR Smith, Camby, etc. Some may be well deserved due to their off the court trouble, but do you think their image of how they appeared on the court didnt help matters? Denver's a mostly White, conservative, somewhat small city tucked into the mountains without being a major metropolitan area. Do you think some people living in Denver were turned off by the appearance of the players of the team that "represents" Denver?

Yeah I wasn't really talking about that at all. Said most of the people that watch NBA are from the inner city and dress like that. Witch just isn't true and kinda absurd. As you can see here.

Tatoo's\personality is something that can't be changed. Can't tell a guy what to put on his skin. That would be going to far. Something like clothes? The NBA is there job. No different than working at a grocery store and having to wear black pants instead of white shorts. As for the reasons? Why it should matter I'm sure there was alot of them. People will act like it's a control thing, just about a stereo type etc. but the NBA is a huuuuuge business. Tons of thought, studies etc. were probably done. You don't just do that kinda thing without it being though out.

I'd say it just makes thing looks cleaner. Looks like there taking it more seriously. A guy making 20 mill a year is out with an injury and he shows up in everyday casual wear? Wear what you want to wear on your own time but when your on somebody elses if they want to make things look more professional then I can dig it. It does too .. wearing a suit vs hoody and jeans? What's more professional? .. we both know what one is. If you don't like it, take it up with society not the NBA dress code.

As for why people care? I don't personally. I would agree that some of the people who don't like it are following the stereo type tho. Lots of other sports fans calling NBA players thugs\gangsters and the dress code probably helped that. I wouldn't think that's why the NBA did it like I said, I'm sure that was an added bonus tho. It's just more professional. Just like actors and PR moves. Just like the whole "NBA cares". You take somebody more serious in a suit than you do in sleep pants and a white tee with a 50 thousand dollar chain on there neck or w.e.

bagelred
10-19-2011, 03:57 PM
Plantation Overseer..wow. No one is a slave. These guys can play in the league if they want to or not. It's their choice to play in the best basketball league in the world and get paid millions. Of course there are going to be rules, just like in any work place. What's wrong with these people? These guys are not being held against their wills to play basketball in the NBA. They can always go to other places to play.

You just don't understand!!!! what's wrong with you?

#distractuswithracewars

fos
10-19-2011, 04:01 PM
I just ignore anything Bryant Gumbel says, dude is so racially insecure and fat.

jlip
10-19-2011, 04:16 PM
As a history instructor, allow me to interject a unique perspective into this discussion. Throughout America's history several people across racial, ethnic, and economic lines have invoked the "slave card" as an attempt to garner sympathy and support for their cause. The most ostensible examples of such are found during the age of the American Revolution. If one studies the rhethoric of that time he or she would observe that many of the founding fathers routinely likened their conditions to those of slaves. They consciously did not allude to themselves as "second class citizens" or simply "the oppressed people" of the British. They intentionally called themselves "slaves". This is clearly articulated in the commentary expressed by historian, Professor James Oliver Horton in this video. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BVt0vXmDXh0#t=23m05s) What adds to the irony of this is that many of these individuals who were calling themselves "slaves" of the British were wealthy merchants and politicians. The situation becomes even more interesting when several of those who were calling themselves "slaves" and were fighting for their "freedom" happened to have been wealthy slaveholders themselves (i.e. George Washington and Thomas Jefferson.)

Observe the following quotes from this era:

"The Day is at length arrived in which we must determine to live as Freemen—or as Slaves to linger out a miserable existence. The tea-ship will, in all probability, be in a few hours at anchor in our harbour; and unless we exert ourselves against the introduction of her cargo, it will be landed; and if landed, it will be made use of, as a precedent of right to enslave our country to all eternity." The Tea Act had changed their "invaluable Title of American Freeman to that of Slaves.”
--Committee of Philadelphia merchants 1773 in response to the Tea Act

“…with what consistency, or decency they complain so loudly of attempts to enslave them, while they hold so many hundred thousands in slavery; and annually enslave many thousands more.”
--Thomas Paine 1774 criticizing some of his fellow Patriots for calling themselves "slaves" while actually owning slaves.

There is a plethora of quotes that I could include, but I don't want to bombard a basketball forum with a bunch of American history. My take on Gumbel's employment of the slave analogy as it pertains to rich athletes is that he's simply following the example set by many of our rich founding fathers who felt justified in considering themselves slaves when they weren't getting their way. It's an exercise in patriotism.

Darius
10-19-2011, 04:22 PM
lol @ Gumbel trying to earn "black" points so he isn't called an Uncle Tom anymore.

HighFlyer23
10-19-2011, 04:50 PM
that jew can't fine Gumbel now can he?

bagelred
10-19-2011, 06:13 PM
that jew can't fine Gumbel now can he?

Not directly, but we always find ways to tax coons

#pushingracebuttons

Dizzle-2k7
10-19-2011, 06:23 PM

http://a2.l3-images.myspacecdn.com/profile01/126/2243b52ccf4c493795909cff581cd297/p.jpg

http://onmilwaukee.com/images/articles/nb/nbadresscode/nbadresscode_story1.jpg

has nothing to do with being black.. plenty of white and mexican thugs dress like this as well to act "hard"..

like it or not there aint no "casual friday" in the NBA.. youre a millionaire, show up to work looking and acting like a millionaire. what you do and how you dress when youre "off the clock" is all you, but under NBA TIME you should be a professional

jordan knew all about professionalism.. dude set the bar

http://penaltyflagdown.files.wordpress.com/2008/02/371michael-jordan-business-suit-posters.jpg

Kblaze8855
10-19-2011, 06:40 PM
Ah so...a thug to you is based on appearance not actions. So the black guy there is a thug....based on how he looks to you.

And AI...is dressing like him....so he too is a thug....despite the fact AI just has on a white shirt and a Kareem jersey. I see...

And as someone who has seen Jordan walk into an arena in person...that isnt how he looked in his youth.

Jordan might show up in some jeans, a plain tshirt, and a baseball cap.

RazorBaLade
10-19-2011, 06:42 PM
if you want to be a part of a professional business you must dress professionally

this holds true everywhere.

NuggetsFan
10-19-2011, 06:46 PM
if you want to be a part of a professional business you must dress professionally

this holds true everywhere.

Pretttty much. You wouldn't dress like that to any other job so why complain about it. NBA is in the national eye too. Guy's showing up like it's there day off and there chilling at home when really there on the clock just injured\sitting out.

Dizzle-2k7
10-19-2011, 06:50 PM
And as someone who has seen Jordan walk into an arena in person...that isnt how he looked in his youth.

Jordan might show up in some jeans, a plain tshirt, and a baseball cap.

:roll:

http://img.izismile.com/img/img2/20090929/bonus//7/michael_jordan_college_years_01.jpg

if NBA players dressed HALF AS CLASSY as young jordan did we would never have a dress code.

how can you even BEGIN to compare jordan to the thuggish wannabe antics of kmart, ivo, stephen jackson, etc

Kblaze8855
10-19-2011, 06:55 PM
I never quite got the on the clock thing. I dont mind the idea of a dress code. But NBA players are required to wear uniforms. They have assigned niforms that are not optional. Isnt that pretty much the dress code?

I can see why they would apply it at an NBA event of some sort. But coming to play sports in uniform? You are coming...taking off what you wore...and putting on a uniform.

If I had to come to work and put on a giant mascot outfit what would it matter what I had on before I changed into that...if wearing that is my job?

On game day im not sure why players need a dress code to walk from...what...the parking lot into the building and take it off?

B
10-19-2011, 06:58 PM
Pretttty much. You wouldn't dress like that to any other job so why complain about it. NBA is in the national eye too. Guy's showing up like it's there day off and there chilling at home when really there on the clock just injured\sitting out.Exactly. People seem to think an NBA players job stops when he walks off the court. It doesn't, during the season whenever they travel, check in and out of hotels do interviews even driving to the practice facility they are on the clock and representing the NBA.
The NBA wants to sell corporate sponsorship to ALL the people in the USA and world not just one type or class of person. They spend lots of money on market research and that research tells them who buys their product. The NBA dress code, a dress code also agreed upon by the NBPA was in response to that market research. It wasn't just some arbitrary rule created to "keep the black man down" it was a rule to keep players from showing up looking like slobs and hurting the NBA product

As for Gumbel his work is complete. He's now played the race card bashing all three major sports commisoners and the Olympics.

Dizzle-2k7
10-19-2011, 07:04 PM
http://cdn3.knowyourmeme.com/i/000/093/953/original/SCUMBAG%20STEVE.jpg

scumbag black people:
making millions of dollars
compare themselves to slaves

Kblaze8855
10-19-2011, 07:06 PM
if NBA players dressed HALF AS CLASSY as young jordan did we would never have a dress code.

Jeans and a sweater is classy to you? And as I said...I have stood...and personally with my own eyes...seen Jordan in a white t and some jeans. Never saw him in those multi colored shorts and so on?

how can you even BEGIN to compare jordan to the thuggish wannabe antics of kmart, ivo, stephen jackson, etc

Thuggish wannabe...over some pants or a shirt. That is what makes someone a thug to some people.

Bad thing is im quite sure a lot of old white people think just like that. Black people too to be honest.

Some of you would be calling my little brother a thug and all he does is work, jog, and chase girls. But these days a thug is in the clothes I guess.

You might be surprised how many young black people in nice suits jokingly associate it with being a "boss".

Dizzle-2k7
10-19-2011, 07:09 PM
you would never see kmart, iverson, etc dressed like young jordan with some fitted jeans and fitted shirt. NEVER.

stop trying to back them up with "well jordan did it" .. doesnt apply at all.

NuggetsFan
10-19-2011, 07:11 PM
I never quite got the on the clock thing. I dont mind the idea of a dress code. But NBA players are required to wear uniforms. They have assigned niforms that are not optional. Isnt that pretty much the dress code?

I can see why they would apply it at an NBA event of some sort. But coming to play sports in uniform? You are coming...taking off what you wore...and putting on a uniform.

If I had to come to work and put on a giant mascot outfit what would it matter what I had on before I changed into that...if wearing that is my job?

On game day im not sure why players need a dress code to walk from...what...the parking lot into the building and take it off?

NBA players walking into arenas, sitting on the sidelines, in the building are clearly on the clock. There's pre game interviews. Camera's usually on them. It's what they signed up for. It makes the league look more professional and clean\organized. TNT Thursday there's always quite a couple shots of guy's coming in. Fans can see etc.

I don't even get the big deal. I can't speak for alot of area's but I remember having to wear a dress shirt\black pants when I played competitive sports. Pretty sure colleges\competitive sports leagues do the same when there teams travel.

Kblaze8855
10-19-2011, 07:16 PM
you would never see kmart, iverson, etc dressed like young jordan with some fitted jeans and fitted shirt. NEVER.

It was 1983. What was he gonna have on exactly?

I said ive seen Jordan dressed casually at arenas and I have.

stop trying to back them up with "well jordan did it" .. doesnt apply at all.

I could have easily said Bird. He used to come in looking fresh outta bed. He had the sweaters the year he was out. But Bird was a country ass dude.

Ive seen Nique come in looking dapper...and ive seen him in jumpsuits.

Ive never seen Magic arrive so I cant speak on him really. But plenty of people dressed casually. Always have.

People just didnt care.

Kblaze8855
10-19-2011, 07:26 PM
NBA players walking into arenas, sitting on the sidelines, in the building are clearly on the clock.

Id say a player in his uniform is on the clock. Perhaps even talking to the media...but the media pops up everywhere. Parking lots and such. So hard to say on that one. But players get paid a game check no matter what so im not sure on the clock is even the right way of putting it. I wouldnt say...a guy is about the business of the NBA...when his car is in the parking lot.

There's pre game interviews. Camera's usually on them. It's what they signed up for. It makes the league look more professional and clean\organized. TNT Thursday there's always quite a couple shots of guy's coming in. Fans can see etc.

The only people who would think a player is more professional due to his clothes is either someone uninformed about it being required...or an idiot. But so much is done to cater to idiots I cant really say its unusual. No doubt there is some hick somewhere who thinks Marvin Harrison with his clean cut look and suits is a nice young man. Then someone gets shot with his gun broad day middle of philly and nobody saw a thing...and its...ooo...clothes and personality arent the same thing.

Im not saying I dont get why the NBA does it. I think its a shame that people are so judgemental they feel they have to do it.

Me...im the son of a preacher/grandson of a sunday school teacher and ive been in suits all my life.

Baggy jeans and chains arent me at all. But I know plenty of people idiots would call thugs because they didnt come up the way I did and dont dress the same.

I don't even get the big deal. I can't speak for alot of area's but I remember having to wear a dress shirt\black pants when I played competitive sports. Pretty sure colleges\competitive sports leagues do the same when there teams travel.

I didnt play above high school....but we had no rules on that. Just rules about what we wore and how we acted in uniform.

Dizzle-2k7
10-19-2011, 07:30 PM
People just didnt care.

exactly.
people didnt care because none of those clothing styles had any association to criminal or gang activity.

if you had a LARGE subculture of US Citizens that committed crimes wearing jumpsuits or pajamas, Im sure there would be the same consequences for those styles as well. who really wears oversized jeans sagging to the knees with ass out n some shlt. no reason to be a GROWN MAN or anyone with RESPECT and dress like that.

nothing to do with color. im from texas we got the whole world here.

http://cockroachpeople.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/10/baggy-jeans.jpg
only thugs dress like this.
that could be 2 puertoricans for all i care. thugs betta not bother me im on the go.

NuggetsFan
10-19-2011, 07:37 PM
The only people who would think a player is more professional due to his clothes is either someone uninformed about it being required...or an idiot. But so much is done to cater to idiots I cant really say its unusual. No doubt there is some hick somewhere who thinks Marvin Harrison with his clean cut look and suits is a nice young man. Then someone gets shot with his gun broad day middle of philly and nobody saw a thing...and its...ooo...clothes and personality arent the same thing.

Im not saying I dont get why the NBA does it. I think its a shame that people are so judgemental they feel they have to do it.

Me...im the son of a preacher/grandson of a sunday school teacher and ive been in suits all my life.

Baggy jeans and chains arent me at all. But I know plenty of people idiots would call thugs because they didnt come up the way I did and dont dress the same.

What I don't get it how you come to the conclusion those people are idiots. Do you think Stern snapped his fingers and went dress code? Obviously not. There was clearly alot of thought and probably studies done like in any business as large as the NBA before it was put in place. There's clearly reasoning behind it.

Everybody always turns it into some stereotypical thing. Brings up thugs. How about it's just more professional bottom line? Allen Iverson showing up to work in a white tee with baggy jeans. Tim Duncan rocking a flannel shirt. There on national TV alot of the time, there at work. Behind the bench and there dressed like you and me. It's a cleaner look, no argument against it. Me in a suit vs sleep pants and an old sweater? What do you think I should wear if I'm trying to promote the BEST image for my brand? No brainer. And it has nothing to do with gangster\thugs\people being overjudgemental. It's just way the way society is.

I completely get why they make injured guy's follow it. Showing up? I don't really fully understand. I'd assume it has to do with the fans being present as well as TV crews\interviews and such.

eliteballer
10-19-2011, 07:38 PM
It's not dressing like thugs as much as it is dressing like little kids.

I cant respect a grown ass man wearing sideways caps and oversized pants and jerseys.

Kblaze8855
10-19-2011, 07:38 PM
What? Gangs? You look at AI in a Kareem jersey and think....gang activity and criminals? A young black guy in an nba jersey is dressed like a gang member?

Might as well just say young black people are gang members. You say other do it...

White people dressing like that are called ******s for a reason.

Its seen as a black way to dress. A young black way to dress.

Just because many young black people dress that way and some are criminals it doesnt mean...the way young black people dress is criminal in nature.

Dizzle-2k7
10-19-2011, 07:41 PM
kblaze only sees black and white. theres a big grey (mexicans,asians,etc) that could give a FUKK about being BLACK they are just being their criminal self.

pretty arrogant to think anyone who dresses a certain way just "wants to be black"

when i was in my criminal youth and i wore baggy clothes and did shlt it wasnt to BE BLACK it was to BE HARD.

time to step back to reality, you been in the country too long kblaze.

NuggetsFan
10-19-2011, 07:42 PM
What? Gangs? You look at AI in a Kareem jersey and think....gang activity and criminals? A young black guy in an nba jersey is dressed like a gang member?

Might as well just say young black people are gang members. You say other do it...

White people dressing like that are called ******s for a reason.

Its seen as a black way to dress. A young black way to dress.

Just because many young black people dress that way and some are criminals it doesnt mean...the way young black people dress is criminal in nature.

Yeah that is looked at as gang activity. I've been to some bars\clubs that wouldn't let guy's in because he was rocking a Jordan XXXL and his jeans were hanging off him. Pretty sure schools have rules against clothing like that.

Not sure why everbody keeps assuming that's the main reason why the NBA dress code is. It's not just against Allen Iverson wearing that shit(all tho that probably really provoked it hardcore). Kevin Love can't show up in sweat pants and a hoody either.

Sarcastic
10-19-2011, 07:42 PM
When Jordan first came into the league, he was considered "too black" for the league. He wore gold chains. His sneakers did not conform to league standards and he got fined every time he wore them. He appealed to the inner city with his playing style. He definitely did not appeal to "white America" in his first few years.

http://wannadunk.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/10/Michael-Jordan-Slam-Dunk.jpg

Dizzle-2k7
10-19-2011, 07:44 PM
..the way young black people dress is criminal in nature.

:roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:

this GUY! you been around this place lately? most young blacks are dressin on that holister, vneck, skinnyslim jeans, etc .

Kblaze8855
10-19-2011, 08:07 PM
Why would you put wants to be black in quotation marks as if i said it? i said whites who dress that way are called ******s. And they are.

And i was asked why i assume people who judge criminal intent by clothes are idiots?

I was just shown a picture of people in baggy pants and hoodie in what appears to be cold weather......and told only thugs dress like that. So with no information but pant size and being cold i know two people to be criminals? And you wonder why i call it idiotic?

Its judging a book by its cover taken to a laughable extent. Some of you would be running scared from church kids around here it seems. Those guys he posted look like my little cousin who is at clemson.

swi7ch
10-19-2011, 08:13 PM
you guys should check out how bill belichick dresses for nfl games

Kblaze8855
10-19-2011, 08:25 PM
No no. A hoodie only makes you a thug if your pants sag as well.

But you reminded me.....a coach not long ago wanted permission to wear a full suit on the sidelines like tom landy. He got permission for a game i think. Odd to me. Whats the problem with a coach wearing a suit?

305Baller
10-19-2011, 08:34 PM
People don't think NBA players are that more thuggish than any other predominantly male sect. I think some people believe NBA players are self-centered idiots. And, apparently, twitter goes a long way towards confirming those suspicions.

But whatever.

Kblaze8855
10-19-2011, 08:38 PM
Most people are at least self centered. Idiots? Hefty percentage.

305Baller
10-19-2011, 08:49 PM
Most people are at least self centered. Idiots? Hefty percentage.

sure.

AngelEyes
10-19-2011, 08:49 PM
When Jordan first came into the league, he was considered "too black" for the league. He wore gold chains. His sneakers did not conform to league standards and he got fined every time he wore them. He appealed to the inner city with his playing style. He definitely did not appeal to "white America" in his first few years.

http://wannadunk.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/10/Michael-Jordan-Slam-Dunk.jpg

Are you kidding me??!!! Michael Jordan appealed to everyone when he first came into the league. He was phenomenal for the league. He certainly wasn't seen as too black, that couldn't be farther from the truth. Jordan wore gold chains at the all star game, which rubbed a few of his peers the wrong way, but he wasn't wearing gold chains all the time. Jordan was seen as a soft spoken country boy with tremendous charisma. Jordan, bird and Magic were god sends for the league. There was no talk of Jordan being too black, that is completely absurd. Jordan's first year in the league has little competition in the sheer amount of positivity and excitement he brought to the league.

AngelEyes
10-19-2011, 08:57 PM
Jordan already had the respect of many of the older stars and coaches by the end of his rookie season. He also was a major endorser for several companies right from the get go. White people were never afraid or not accepting of Michael Jordan. That never happened. You can pretend it did, but it certainly did not.

GOBB
10-19-2011, 09:03 PM
He's right, because dress codes is something that don't exist anywhere else but the NBA.

Not true. Plenty jobs require a dress code. Some are cool enough to have a "casual" day. Everyone going to work wearing a suit and tie doesnt do so because they want too.

bagelred
10-19-2011, 11:22 PM
White people were never afraid or not accepting of Michael Jordan.

Oh snap!!! That's racist!

#epicracethreadcontinued

Dizzle-2k7
10-20-2011, 01:33 AM
Not true. Plenty jobs require a dress code. Some are cool enough to have a "casual" day. Everyone going to work wearing a suit and tie doesnt do so because they want too.

gobb with the subliminal shot at kblaze.

you seen me going at him in this thread? but you duckin from him. too much respect for eachother i feel you.

:cheers:

Rowe
10-20-2011, 01:50 AM
People don't think NBA players are that more thuggish than any other predominantly male sect. I think some people believe NBA players are self-centered idiots. And, apparently, twitter goes a long way towards confirming those suspicions.

But whatever.

Disagree. You're being very naive considering the reactions & opinions held of NBA players compared to other professional sports.

1 NBA player gets arrested during the 2010-2011 season and he was arrested for blocking an ambulance. Yet, somehow & somewhere there are people who believe NBA players embody "thug culture".

It all comes down to perception. However, the association of being a "NBA basketball player" isnt one that many think of as representing a higher moral character or of any measurable intelligence.

DirtySanchez
10-20-2011, 01:54 AM
Jordan rocks a Hitler mustache does that means he hated Jews.

Rowe
10-20-2011, 02:03 AM
NBA players walking into arenas, sitting on the sidelines, in the building are clearly on the clock. There's pre game interviews. Camera's usually on them. It's what they signed up for. It makes the league look more professional and clean\organized. TNT Thursday there's always quite a couple shots of guy's coming in. Fans can see etc.

Actually, it wasnt.

It was a decision handed down by Stern without approval by the players or NBAPA.

The real issue is the association of "thug apparel" espescially when worn by young Black males. Stern made such a decision when the league was at a crossroads following a continued downturn in ratings along with high profile cases of star NBA players getting in trouble. With all of this going on in the NBA, obviously whoever suggested a dress code thought of the bigger picture in terms of a souring public perception of NBA players & its potential effect on the business.

However, if you removed the dress code. What would be the issue?

College teams travel in their free team gear, while there are a few programs that require a suit & tie.

G-train
10-20-2011, 02:03 AM
Certain NBA players were acting like morons on and off the court at the time, and rocking up to games in attire that most viewers considered untidy and thuggish. Racist or not, that was the perception. So Stern tried to change the perception of his product.

Simple.

bdreason
10-20-2011, 02:06 AM
Lettuce be realist, white people don't like to see a brotha with 2 things; money or white women.

RazorBaLade
10-20-2011, 02:08 AM

Any time the players are associated with the professional business of the NBA they must look professional. That means interviews, practice, parking lot of the NBA stadiums, everywhere that they represent the NBA officially. You can be naked in your backyard, you can't be naked when you're going to sign autographs.

And most jobs are the same...

catch24
10-20-2011, 02:11 AM
Lettuce be realist, white people don't like to see a brotha with 2 things; money or white women.

Dude, shut the f*ck up.

Rowe
10-20-2011, 02:39 AM
exactly.
people didnt care because none of those clothing styles had any association to criminal or gang activity.

if you had a LARGE subculture of US Citizens that committed crimes wearing jumpsuits or pajamas, Im sure there would be the same consequences for those styles as well. who really wears oversized jeans sagging to the knees with ass out n some shlt. no reason to be a GROWN MAN or anyone with RESPECT and dress like that.

nothing to do with color. im from texas we got the whole world here.

http://cockroachpeople.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/10/baggy-jeans.jpg
only thugs dress like this.
that could be 2 puertoricans for all i care. thugs betta not bother me im on the go.

A disproportionate amount of crimes are commited by African Americans in the United States. Im sure there would be consequences for those who share that ethnicity. :ohwell:

Stereotyping falls upon many levels & the dangers of false perception outweigh the presence of common sense.

Following your diatribe against Kblaze, lets put your logic to test.

What is a stereotype & what is common sense?

Those 2 young men walking to a crowded street corner wearing "thug apparel". It isn't stereotyping to assume that they are up to no good considering where they are at, an inner city street corner. Drugs are sold there. All of them could be wearing various items from the Ralph Lauren Polo catalogue, but they're hanging on a street corner. Common sense kicks in that these are people you dont want to mess with.

Now lets say for example you see 2 young men walking in a shopping mall dressed in the same fashion of "thug apparel". There is no indication of their surroundings to tell you that they are thugs because they're in the enjoying the shopping mall no differently than you, me, or the young White couple with a small child. I know nothing of these people, nor see any indicator of their behavior to assume something negative about them. They could be HS students, college students, or teenagers who are spending money they earned from their job at Radioshack. I dont know them enough to judge their character. Now if they are walking through the mall harrassing patrons & causing problems, that at least tells me something about their character. Only then would common sense kick in that tells me these are people to avoid if I dont want a confrontation.

Unfortunately many people dont have the ability to reach such conclusions. They're reactionary to everything and immediately judge strangers without knowing them. They argue that they'd "rather be safe than sorry" than to "never judge a book by its cover". Ultimately, they dismiss many people based off of any various thing they notice about them visually. These are the types who see a woman wearing tight fitting clothing and immediately assume shes a whore. Or the Black guy scrolling through racks at Macy's and immediately assume hes a thief. Often times their ignorance affects everyone because we constantly have to reinforce that we aren't as dumb as them.

Now dizzle, I'm not calling you dumb or ignorant. But based only off of your posts it is clear your perceptions of others are more akin to an ignorant jackass than to an open minded person who looks for the best in others unless the worst presents itself.

Rowe
10-20-2011, 02:45 AM
Any time the players are associated with the professional business of the NBA they must look professional. That means interviews, practice, parking lot of the NBA stadiums, everywhere that they represent the NBA officially. You can be naked in your backyard, you can't be naked when you're going to sign autographs.

And most jobs are the same...

Wrong.

The dress code was intiated specifically for their presence in arenas before, during, & after games. Its for imaging purposes only.

It is not required at all NBA sponsored events. Most of the charity "NBA Cares" events and players are wearing team athletic apparel that would violate the arena dress code.

Dizzle-2k7
10-20-2011, 03:18 AM
Now lets say for example you see 2 young men walking in a shopping mall dressed in the same fashion of "thug apparel". There is no indication of their surroundings to tell you that they are thugs because they're in the enjoying the shopping mall no differently than you, me, or the young White couple with a small child. I know nothing of these people, nor see any indicator of their behavior to assume something negative about them. They could be HS students, college students, or teenagers who are spending money they earned from their job at Radioshack. I dont know them enough to judge their character. Now if they are walking through the mall harrassing patrons & causing problems, that at least tells me something about their character. Only then would common sense kick in that tells me these are people to avoid if I dont want a confrontation.

Now dizzle, I'm not calling you dumb or ignorant. But based only off of your posts it is clear your perceptions of others are more akin to an ignorant jackass than to an open minded person who looks for the best in others unless the worst presents itself.

:facepalm :facepalm

the best you could do was bring up some highschool kids at the mall ?? and youre gonna compare them to GROWN UP MILLIONAIRES who are representing a professional worldwide organization? stop playing the race card and start playing the MAN CARD. GROWN MEN SHOULDNT DRESS LIKE THAT while on national television influencing kids around the world. JORDAN aka the GOAT had it right with his professionalism and its damn good that Stern enacted the dress code rule to make everyone try and be classy like the GOAT.

tosses Rowe's weakass argument in the trashcan
BEEEEEEEEEEEP

gameover

jlauber
10-20-2011, 03:51 AM
"But his efforts were typical of a commissioner, who has always seemed eager to be viewed as some kind of modern plantation overseer treating NBA men as if they were his boys," Gumbel said.

Hmmm...what is the difference between NBA players, and the average working stiff? NBA players can walk away from the NBA and get another career if they so choose, just like the rest of us. BUT, how many of us have that luxury? Are there a TON of employers out there just waiting to snap us up, and pay us more?

I just don't get these RIDICULOUS assertions.

LJJ
10-20-2011, 05:14 AM

All of us understand it's because if the NBA doesn't impose a dress code on their players, their players choose to present themselves in a way that hurts the NBA's marketability and thus the company's earnings.

Literally everybody understands this, so I don't see why you don't.

Kblaze8855
10-20-2011, 05:30 AM
Have I ever said I think the dresscode is somehow wrong?

I said when someone has a work issued uniform im not sure why it should matter what they have on before working.

And I know why it does matter. People being idiots. A lot of people existing who think anyone dressed like an iverson type is a thug.

So you put people who I suppose are otherwise thugs in clothes that make them more likely to be model citizens(again...to idiots).

I know why they did it. My issue is...why it was needed to begin with.

And im reasonably sure that answer is...idiocy. Laced with more than a hint of ignorance.

Rowe
10-20-2011, 05:50 AM
:facepalm :facepalm

the best you could do was bring up some highschool kids at the mall ?? and youre gonna compare them to GROWN UP MILLIONAIRES who are representing a professional worldwide organization? stop playing the race card and start playing the MAN CARD. GROWN MEN SHOULDNT DRESS LIKE THAT while on national television influencing kids around the world. JORDAN aka the GOAT had it right with his professionalism and its damn good that Stern enacted the dress code rule to make everyone try and be classy like the GOAT.

tosses Rowe's weakass argument in the trashcan
BEEEEEEEEEEEP

gameover

Fact is they dont dress like that and haven't dressed like that in basically 5+ years. All of this "thug apparel" shit you were rambling about with people with baggy jeans sagging to their knees and XXXL hoodies is as played out as overalls & Timberlands from 1996. Yet its nearly 2012 and you're googling up images from 2004 to pretend as if that is how "thugs" today dress. :oldlol: Shows how few times you've ventured out into the community. You keep on looking for the guy with XXL Girbaud & Coogi on as a criminal & end up getting robbed by someone wearing Polo. Fact is it doesn't matter, a thug is a thug regardless of how he dresses. You tell me not to play the race card when its simple fact that any "urban style" worn primarily by Black youth suddenly becomes an example of gang/criminal activity. We saw it here with the bans on White Tees, now they're targeting youth wearing rosaries like their Hip Hop idols wear. Face the facts, the fear is the person not his outfit.

You had Italian/Irish Mobs throughout every city for 50 years killing people & running the underworld in 3 piece designer suits. Did people suddenly associate a White guy in a 3 piece suit as being a cold hard criminal? :oldlol: I wonder what "thug apparel" a White criminal today wears. Maybe we should start stereotyping every White guy who dresses like those criminals. But thats a whole nother story.

The whole point of the dress code was for how players dressed back then. The negative associations of the cross between the NBA & Hip Hop & how deeply rooted they are into stereotypes of criminal Black males was too much to handle. Times have changed, styles have changed, & the dress code is almost pointless now. A player should have the right to wear whatever he feels like to an arena & when he leaves the arena. With the way trends are today, I dont see any player showing up to an arena dressed in anything that would embarrass the league and most importantly himself. Well, unless Kobe wants to wear his Pilgrim outfit.

If Stern still feels that how a player dresses to an arena hurts the NBA's image, the next logical step is handing out patches like a Catholic HS league to cover up tattoos. In your world wouldn't being inked up a sign of being a "thug" or better yet not being a Grown Man?

Rowe
10-20-2011, 06:01 AM
All of us understand it's because if the NBA doesn't impose a dress code on their players, their players choose to present themselves in a way that hurts the NBA's marketability and thus the company's earnings.

Literally everybody understands this, so I don't see why you don't.
As in today? We're talking as of now. Not as of how they appeared 5+ years ago when the NBA was at its lowest point in a long time.

What is LeBron James going to show up wearing with no dress code & this new found freedom to express himself?

Is he going to arrive shirtless with sagging Levi's? In his pajama's? His own jersey? :oldlol:

It is pretty telling of the state of affairs when I'm seeing "NBA fan" reactions like yours that support Stern's actions to how NBA players need to be controlled or they'll hurt the league. In that I find it hard to find any fault in Bryant Gumbel's depiction of Stern.

You fail to realize that these NBA players are grown adults much like you, me, and maybe 5% of posters on this forum. They are capable of recognizing right from wrong. Yet, you feel they need rules on how to present themselves or else they will ruin the league's image. Quite a pathetic view of these men(I'm not going to call them NBA players for emphasis), but in that lies one of the many negative perceptions held of them.

Dizzle-2k7
10-20-2011, 12:05 PM
Fact is they dont dress like that and haven't dressed like that in basically 5+ years. All of this "thug apparel" shit you were rambling about with people with baggy jeans sagging to their knees and XXXL hoodies is as played out as overalls & Timberlands from 1996. Yet its nearly 2012 and you're googling up images from 2004 to pretend as if that is how "thugs" today dress. :oldlol: Shows how few times you've ventured out into the community. You keep on looking for the guy with XXL Girbaud & Coogi on as a criminal & end up getting robbed by someone wearing Polo. Fact is it doesn't matter, a thug is a thug regardless of how he dresses. You tell me not to play the race card when its simple fact that any "urban style" worn primarily by Black youth suddenly becomes an example of gang/criminal activity. We saw it here with the bans on White Tees, now they're targeting youth wearing rosaries like their Hip Hop idols wear. Face the facts, the fear is the person not his outfit.

If Stern still feels that how a player dresses to an arena hurts the NBA's image, the next logical step is handing out patches like a Catholic HS league to cover up tattoos. In your world wouldn't being inked up a sign of being a "thug" or better yet not being a Grown Man?

1 -- the dresscode was enforced in 2005. why the FUKK would i post pictures from today to resemble 2005 and earlier's gang culture? :hammerhead:

2- where does the idea that "urban style" is primarily black come from? have you been to the inner city lately? people of ALL RACES can dress urban, stop making it about color.

yall on some little kid shit

Dizzle-2k7
10-20-2011, 12:09 PM
As in today? We're talking as of now. Not as of how they appeared 5+ years ago when the NBA was at its lowest point in a long time.

What is LeBron James going to show up wearing with no dress code & this new found freedom to express himself?

You fail to realize that these NBA players are grown adults much like you, me, and maybe 5% of posters on this forum. They are capable of recognizing right from wrong. Yet, you feel they need rules on how to present themselves or else they will ruin the league's image. .

:roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:

NBA PLAYERS have proven time and time again that they are the dumbest dudes in all of sports. Yes they have the diamonds like Kobe, Lebron, Wade, Tim Duncan, etc.. but 50%+ are some DUMBASSES.

:roll: :roll:

Give dudes like Stephen Jackson, Brandon Jennings (known blood) etc the freedom and theyll show up to the arena 20 deep with thug wear, posse, groupies etc.

:violin: its time to leave this thead for good, Rowe.

LJJ
10-20-2011, 12:11 PM

Is he going to arrive shirtless with sagging Levi's? In his pajama's? His own jersey? :oldlol:

It is pretty telling of the state of affairs when I'm seeing "NBA fan" reactions like yours that support Stern's actions to how NBA players need to be controlled or they'll hurt the league. In that I find it hard to find any fault in Bryant Gumbel's depiction of Stern.

You fail to realize that these NBA players are grown adults much like you, me, and maybe 5% of posters on this forum. They are capable of recognizing right from wrong. Yet, you feel they need rules on how to present themselves or else they will ruin the league's image. Quite a pathetic view of these men(I'm not going to call them NBA players for emphasis), but in that lies one of the many negative perceptions held of them.

The NBA is a professional business that relies heavily on media presentation for income. The players are employees of the league and also the face of this league. Setting standards for how they present themselves is how a professional organisation would approach. It's all very simple and has nothing to do with being grown ups or whatever.

B
10-20-2011, 12:47 PM

I said when someone has a work issued uniform im not sure why it should matter what they have on before working.

NBA players are on the clock 24/7 during the season. They are high profile, media and fans follow them around just hoping to get a interview, picture, autograph or catch them doing something incredibly right or wrong. These are not everyday people who become invisible when they walk off the court in many ways they become even more visible and approachable when not playing ball and should be well aware of this fact. That's why there's a dress code.

Just think back to that recent press conference of the Union there's Derek Fisher in his nice suit, Billy Hunter standing next to him in his tailored suit several other players in dress shirts backing up their fearless leaders all looking like the world wise professionals after a hard day at the bargaining table trying to resolve issues dealing with billions of dollars. And the among all these business men are Baron Davis and Melo dressed like lumberjack bodyguards from Compton. What came out of that press conference? Not the issues, not the players current stance. That days union stance was drowned out in the media by Baron Davis's attire, radio and print media had a field day with it. We got lots of Stern sound bites that afternoon but from the players side all we got is Baron's dressed like a lumberjack

That's why the NBA has a dress code.

Darius
10-20-2011, 01:39 PM
Young black people now, at least from what I see in NYC/LA, are rocking skinny jeans, vnecks, converse etc.

Kanye/Lil Wayne are the inspiration nowadays not Mobb Deep.

Darius
10-20-2011, 01:43 PM
The NBA is a professional business that relies heavily on media presentation for income. The players are employees of the league and also the face of this league. Setting standards for how they present themselves is how a professional organisation would approach. It's all very simple and has nothing to do with being grown ups or whatever.

This.

Too many dudes trotting out tired Howard Zinn arguments in here.

Bottom line: it's all about the money and the players get that.

bagelred
10-20-2011, 01:48 PM
Charles Barkley sounds off on Bryant Gumbel:

http://www.danpatrick.com/2011/10/20/charles-barkley-criticizes-bryant-gumbels-comments-on-david-stern/

[QUOTE]TNT NBA analyst Charles Barkley joined the show to talk about the lockout and more.

Dan asked Barkley if he heard Bryant Gumbel

Kellogs4toniee
10-20-2011, 02:38 PM
Charles Barkley sounds off on Bryant Gumbel:

http://www.danpatrick.com/2011/10/20/charles-barkley-criticizes-bryant-gumbels-comments-on-david-stern/

Barkley comments are right on the money in this case. David Stern like everyone else has a job to do that is accountable. When it comes to the lockout, politics and job duties force Stern to sway his representations to the owners rather then the players. Unfortunately due to these politics, media people like Gumbel who have no freaking idea what the whole story is spout trash like those comments.

Comparing Stern to a plantation owner, and comparing players who make averages of millions to the owners slaves? This is one of the lamest uses of the race card I have ever seen, and I am surprised there has not been more negative criticism like Barkleys... especially from the black community, regarding Gumbels comments.

Yes Stern is strict... and he has enacted rules before that has been controversial. But I am strictly speaking from a money standpoint :he has done an excellent job in securing higher salaries for the players. I would go so far as to say a fantastic job in using the rise of the NBA and its superstars to increase the salaries of his players.

A commissioner has to be strict. So if Gumbel is referring to that in his analogy... then that has got to be the lamest analogy I have ever heard recently.

Gumbel really should have held his mouth shut in this situation.

Joshumitsu
10-20-2011, 03:16 PM
Similarly, Jason Whitlock from Foxsports mentions the same things as Barkley.
http://msn.foxsports.com/nba/story/NBA-David-Stern-Bryant-Gumbel-players-derek-fisher-dwyane-wade-kevin-garnett-can%27t-hang-with-commissioner-in-boardroom-101811

When I saw ESPN’s Chris Broussard breathlessly reporting that Wade shouted at Stern and demanded that Stern not talk to him like a child, that’s when I knew the lockout had turned into an urban spinoff of “Jersey Shore” with Fisher as Snooki, Wade as JWoww and KG as The Situation.

Rather than beat up Stern for being an overseer, why isn’t the focus on the foolishness of basketball players moonlighting as labor negotiators?

The players are presenting themselves as spoiled brats with huge egos.

Dizzle-2k7
10-20-2011, 03:58 PM
love to see someone try to disagree with barkley..he always tells it like it is

:bowdown:

tpols
10-20-2011, 04:01 PM

And I know why it does matter. People being idiots. A lot of people existing who think anyone dressed like an iverson type is a thug.

So you put people who I suppose are otherwise thugs in clothes that make them more likely to be model citizens(again...to idiots).

I know why they did it. My issue is...why it was needed to begin with.

And im reasonably sure that answer is...idiocy. Laced with more than a hint of ignorance.
I love how the players would always PERSONALLY call themselves professionals and then act like its ok to show up like they're about to go post up on the corner at basketball games. You'll have players when negotiating shit saying that they are 'professionals at what they do' like they should be taken more seriously but than they dress in attire that would NEVER be accepted by any professional institution. These guys belong to a league and a legitamate business. They aren't free lance actors or musicians signed to a rap label.

It's made even worse by the fact that there is a big negative stereotype with black people and them being 'thugs' and then these idiots further perpetuate it by wearing the very clothes and talking in the same way that the stereotypes said to begin with. They dont want to be looked at as thugs? Dont wear what a thug would wear.. because it gives off that image.

Blue&Orange
10-20-2011, 04:16 PM

AND he is an owner? The use of the word "and" on that sentence made me chuckle.

Some random guy working on some random company that have a strict dress code or have to use uniform, getting upset because he saw the owner\boss on casual clothes or\and without uniform, frigging hilarious.

And yes a fat guy with a t-shirt on the crowd, that probably 5 people in the world know he is related with the NBA, equals the importance of the faces of the sport and idols of tens of thousands.
Well done sir, well done. :applause: :applause:

hun?

The NBA is part of the entertainment industry. Are actors told how to dress then coming and going to the set? Are musicians told how to dress when showing up for a concert?

If NBA players are unhappy with the dress code, they should go to that industries then, or any other job that don't have it, pretty simple and obvious.

GOBB fails at sarcasm detection.

You fail to realize that these NBA players are grown adults much like you, me, and maybe 5% of posters on this forum.

Finding a grown adult whining about a dress code should be as difficult as finding an intelligent person that takes that Gumbel guy comments seriously.

Quite a pathetic view of these men(I'm not going to call them NBA players for emphasis), but in that lies one of the many negative perceptions held of them.

It's all perception. NBA players running up the stands and punching spectators was all perception and <Insert your example of choice from the dozens available> was also perception.

What i learned from this thread, dress codes are a form of racism and the respect the game thingy is only for white refs, players are still allowed to disrespect black refs, hence we've seen Wade jumping and screaming like a little girl and nothing happened, and that's what everybody wants from the players, not good basketball but hating on the refs, dam u Stern. And the Lockout is Stern fault, despite the fact that he is a employer doing what the boss wants, the fact he went from praising the Heat big three and how they were good for the NBA to the completely opposite opinion as nothing to do with what his "boss" wants from him, he just had a change of heart.

bagelred
10-20-2011, 06:03 PM
I can't believe all you black people agree with Gumbel.

#racebaiting

Rowe
10-20-2011, 06:15 PM
Finding a grown adult whining about a dress code should be as difficult as finding an intelligent person that takes that Gumbel guy comments seriously.

I'd have no problem with a dress code being enforced if it was voted on by my union allowing me to give my own input.

It's all perception. NBA players running up the stands and punching spectators was all perception and <Insert your example of choice from the dozens available> was also perception.
Strong argument. not srs

However, the imagery of that event along with other issues during that period of time has cast a negative shadow over all NBA players since then.

The irony is that Ron Artest, the main instigator of the Malice at the Palace, is now Metta World Peace and a likable celebrity making appearances at Wrestlemania, Dancing With The Stars, & TV family sitcoms.

Shouldn't the perpetrators be the ones condemned for their actions rather than the countless others who weren't involved? Unfortunately this is a problem many face when stereotyping becomes the preferred form of judgement.

Rowe
10-20-2011, 06:22 PM
It's made even worse by the fact that there is a big negative stereotype with black people and them being 'thugs' and then these idiots further perpetuate it by wearing the very clothes and talking in the same way that the stereotypes said to begin with. They dont want to be looked at as thugs? Dont wear what a thug would wear.. because it gives off that image.

What does a "thug" wear? How does a "thug" talk? That in itself is very subjective because every person who holds stereotypes has a different template for what fits them.

You're trying to fit a square peg into a round hole and justifying your attempts because the peg has to go "somewhere".

Rowe
10-20-2011, 06:50 PM

Sorry, its obvious that you didnt understand that.

There is a difference of feeling the need to control the players every little action & setting standards you expect them to naturally uphold to. Such as is the case of a parent who scolds their child constantly for every word or action they display that they disagree with in comparison to a parent who has standards for how their child should behave but doesn't feel it is necessary to criticize their multiple imperfections.

Its common sense that there should be a standard set for how employees conduct themselves in a professional environment. That should be expected in any professional environment, even one such as the NBA. However, when you're taking the approach of watchdog over the players, coaches, & even owners(employees) while imposing rules & fines along the way for any action you don't seem fit well you're attempting to have total control. That is signs of a control freak monitoring the NBA, and many people have acknowledged that is what David Stern is.

His control freak behavior has been on display throughout this lockout, and rather than attempting to serve as a mediator for both the owners & players he instead has taken the owners side and offered threats towards the NBAPA.

Many people do not want to work for a control freak because their constantly living up to the varying expectations of another person. You can tell me you have standards that I need to look professional in the workplace, but dont reprimand me if I'm wearing my suit open rather than buttoned because you prefer it that way.

tpols
10-20-2011, 06:59 PM
What does a "thug" wear? How does a "thug" talk? That in itself is very subjective because every person who holds stereotypes has a different template for what fits them.
You know exactly the stereotype I am talking about.. stop playing dumb. You KNOW the image the players are giving off when they show up with du rags and baggy jeans to an arena. Yes all people that wear that aren't thugs.. but most people that are thugs wear that. Thats what it comes down to.

One of a businesses most important functions is protecting it's image and name.. So even if these stereotypes aren't totally true in reality, they are still held by millions of people throughout the country.. millions of people the NBA doesn't want to lose as fans.

NuggetsFan
10-20-2011, 07:10 PM
Like I said early it's simply more professional with the dress code. However people are acting like it's just a stereo type. It's really not. Some of those clothes aren't even aloud at certain bars\clubs. Some of those colors can't be worn at high schools. Some NBA players are known as gang affiliated. Can't have them rocking those colors coming into a game. Guy's like Steven Jackson, heck even Rose has been in pictures throwing up gang signs.

There NBA players, not rappers.

Those clothes don't = thugs but alot of "thugs" support those clothes.

Not basing my stance off that tho. Kevin Love showing up in sweat pants and a T-Shirt is just as unprofessional and not aloud as Iverson showing up in baggy chains with a doo rag.

Rowe
10-20-2011, 07:11 PM
1 -- the dresscode was enforced in 2005. why the FUKK would i post pictures from today to resemble 2005 and earlier's gang culture? :hammerhead:

Then what is the purpose of today's dress code?

How about you identify what is the thug/gang culture of 2011 that the NBA is looking to avoid being shown to the masses being worn by players.

2- where does the idea that "urban style" is primarily black come from? have you been to the inner city lately? people of ALL RACES can dress urban, stop making it about color.

yall on some little kid shit

When 1 race often dresses in such an "urban style", it becomes uniquely associated to that race. The kids of different races running around wearing "Urban wear" are influenced by the Black celebrities who've made it the trend. That is undisputable. If a White guy is wearing a snapback hat, V-Neck Tee, True Religion Jeans, & $100+ dollar basketball shoes I'll be damned if he didnt pick up his "urban style" from watching his Black peers or Black entertainers. At the same time, someone might associate him as being a "******" just off of a glance at him.

Baseball caps were only worn by Baseball players & Baseball fans attending the games, but all it takes is a couple of rappers to make them a "urban style" and now kids who've never even been to a baseball game where them daily because its a fashion staple.

Multi-billion dollar companies like Nike, Jordan, & Adidas are constantly marketing basketball shoes that cost $100 or more. You would assume that one who purchases such expensive basketball shoes is a basketball player. Technically, basketball shoes are much more akin to Cleats for Football/Baseball than they are to casual footwear. But do you think for 1 second that Nike & Adidas aren't aware that prodominately Black youth purchase those shoes frequently as a fashion accessory of "urban style" rather than for competitve basketball. Thats who they're marketing them to. The background of all of their commercials is popular Hip Hop music, not Simon & Garfunkel. They know who their intended audience is.

Man you're a ****ing idiot.

I really try my best to be cordial even when online but you're a jackass.

A.M.G.
10-20-2011, 07:17 PM

You've never seen the Chapelle Show?

LJJ
10-20-2011, 07:19 PM
Sorry, its obvious that you didnt understand that.

There is a difference of feeling the need to control the players every little action & setting standards you expect them to naturally uphold to. Such as is the case of a parent who scolds their child constantly for every word or action they display that they disagree with in comparison to a parent who has standards for how their child should behave but doesn't feel it is necessary to criticize their multiple imperfections.

Its common sense that there should be a standard set for how employees conduct themselves in a professional environment. That should be expected in any professional environment, even one such as the NBA. However, when you're taking the approach of watchdog over the players, coaches, & even owners(employees) while imposing rules & fines along the way for any action you don't seem fit well you're attempting to have total control. That is signs of a control freak monitoring the NBA, and many people have acknowledged that is what David Stern is.

His control freak behavior has been on display throughout this lockout, and rather than attempting to serve as a mediator for both the owners & players he instead has taken the owners side and offered threats towards the NBAPA.

Many people do not want to work for a control freak because their constantly living up to the varying expectations of another person. You can tell me you have standards that I need to look professional in the workplace, but dont reprimand me if I'm wearing my suit open rather than buttoned because you prefer it that way.

That's the bottom line right there. The rest of your comment is **** nonsense really.

NuggetsFan
10-20-2011, 07:23 PM
If a White guy is wearing a snapback hat, V-Neck Tee, True Religion Jeans, & $100+ dollar basketball shoes I'll be damned if he didnt pick up his "urban style" from watching his Black peers or Black entertainers.

Really? Black people have snap back hats now? I thought it was that fitted, new era caps. Jordans\Nike's are now associated with black people? I was rocking Nike's when I was like 9 and didn't even know what rap really was :oldlol: . V-Neck T's? I thought that was like preppy white guy shit.

Pretty sure those emo f*ckers started that skinny jean shit. So now that black dudes are wearing 'em are they trying to pull that off?

I guess I just have no f*cking idea what's what anymore so I'm going to gracefully bow out :oldlol:

Rowe
10-20-2011, 07:41 PM
You know exactly the stereotype I am talking about.. stop playing dumb. You KNOW the image the players are giving off when they show up with du rags and baggy jeans to an arena. Yes all people that wear that aren't thugs.. but most people that are thugs wear that. Thats what it comes down to.

Its 2011, are players going to show up to the arena wearing du rags & baggy jeans? No. That isnt the trend now and hasn't been for a long time. Thats my point. I already acknowledged pages back that certain trends of yesteryear became the common "stereotype" for what a thug should appear. However, how are you spotting a thug today? Are we still looking for size XXL baggy jeans & an oversized White Tee? Such an irrelevant fashion stereotype only matters to those who are out of touch with the real world, thus influencing their ignorance on matters they truly dont know of personally.

Fact of the matter is that any style when worn by Black youth eventually leads to that style becoming the template for what a "thug" looks like. Seen it happen all before several times over. Today it may take a few years for the unaware people who are equally as ignorant to become fixated on it, but eventually they'll find a way to use it as a way to stereotype Black youth specifically.

There was an outcry when Latrell Spreewell became the first NBA player to wear cornrows back in 1995 I believe. All he did was have some braid his afro before a NBA game and suddenly a shocked prodominately White audience seeing someone actually looking that way on the court brought in a lot of negative stereotypes. Fastforward 6 years and almost 1/6 of the NBA has cornrows and you've got a problem on your hands.

One of a businesses most important functions is protecting it's image and name.. So even if these stereotypes aren't totally true in reality, they are still held by millions of people throughout the country.. millions of people the NBA doesn't want to lose as fans.

Those stereotypes can't be avoided because there are many layers of what influences them.

When LeBron gets on the court and hes being physical, yelling at refs, dunking the ball hard, and practically just oozing testosterone from your TV screen people will take note of it. But only when you factor in that hes tall, strong, has a ghetto name, hes covered in tattoos like an inmate at San Quinton, doesn't speak "intelligent" to the courtside reporters at halftime, & despite it all is arrogant and you've got so many layers of stereotypes there that will turn away millions of ignorant people. Would it matter if he shows up to the arena in a suit & tie, is worth $250 Million, has multiple investments, is a part owner of Liverpool FC, & is a spokesman for many products? They dont see that. They see the image of him. That speaks volumes to a lot of people.

Yet some of those same ignorant people will tune in to the NHL where there is a lot of physical contact, blood, missing teeth, injuries, "goons", & to top it off you have constant fights. So where is the line drawn by these people?

Why should the NBA try to keep reaching out to them?

Rowe
10-20-2011, 07:55 PM
Really? Black people have snap back hats now? I thought it was that fitted, new era caps. Jordans\Nike's are now associated with black people? I was rocking Nike's when I was like 9 and didn't even know what rap really was :oldlol: . V-Neck T's? I thought that was like preppy white guy shit.

Never said that it was all a "Black thing".

I just said that an outfit in conjunction like that is considered to be the "urban style' trend for Black youth today.

Thus, when people more commonly see Black youth wearing those items they often begin to associate it as a "Black thing". When you see someone off a different race wearing those items together, it just isnt a common enough site and it stands out.

I only brought that up because thats exactly how I saw White kids dressed at the Rolling Papers Tour(Wiz Khalifa, Big Sean, Mac Miller, & a few other artists). They were dressed no differently than the Black kids in attendance, but keep in mind they were all at a rap concert. How would those same White kids be perceived dressed like that in a prodominately White area? I guarantee you even other White people would look at them and think they were "trying to be Black". I dont agree with such stereotyping of how someone dresses, but its a real thing that happens.

Pretty sure those emo f*ckers started that skinny jean shit. So now that black dudes are wearing 'em are they trying to pull that off?

I guess I just have no f*cking idea what's what anymore so I'm going to gracefully bow out :oldlol:

It all goes back to whatever is popular in Hip Hop. Hip Hop isn't a "Black thing" but it has influences over Black culture.

A homosexual like Lil Wayne starts mimicking emo rockers with skinny jeans, tattoos, & face piercings and his legion of fans follow along.

Rowe
10-20-2011, 07:59 PM
That's the bottom line right there. The rest of your comment is **** nonsense really.

Yet again, it continues to go over your head.

Either you've never dealt with enough experiences in your life to understand the difference I pointed out or you're just not mature enough to be corrected by others without resorting to subtle insults.

Im not here to argue with you, just here to inform you.

tpols
10-20-2011, 08:06 PM
Its 2011, are players going to show up to the arena wearing du rags & baggy jeans? No. That isnt the trend now and hasn't been for a long time. Thats my point. I already acknowledged pages back that certain trends of yesteryear became the common "stereotype" for what a thug should appear. However, how are you spotting a thug today? Are we still looking for size XXL baggy jeans & an oversized White Tee? Such an irrelevant fashion stereotype only matters to those who are out of touch with the real world, thus influencing their ignorance on matters they truly dont know of personally.

Fact of the matter is that any style when worn by Black youth eventually leads to that style becoming the template for what a "thug" looks like. Seen it happen all before several times over. Today it may take a few years for the unaware people who are equally as ignorant to become fixated on it, but eventually they'll find a way to use it as a way to stereotype Black youth specifically.

There was an outcry when Latrell Spreewell became the first NBA player to wear cornrows back in 1995 I believe. All he did was have some braid his afro before a NBA game and suddenly a shocked prodominately White audience seeing someone actually looking that way on the court brought in a lot of negative stereotypes. Fastforward 6 years and almost 1/6 of the NBA has cornrows and you've got a problem on your hands.

Those stereotypes can't be avoided because there are many layers of what influences them.

When LeBron gets on the court and hes being physical, yelling at refs, dunking the ball hard, and practically just oozing testosterone from your TV screen people will take note of it. But only when you factor in that hes tall, strong, has a ghetto name, hes covered in tattoos like an inmate at San Quinton, doesn't speak "intelligent" to the courtside reporters at halftime, & despite it all is arrogant and you've got so many layers of stereotypes there that will turn away millions of ignorant people. Would it matter if he shows up to the arena in a suit & tie, is worth $250 Million, has multiple investments, is a part owner of Liverpool FC, & is a spokesman for many products? They dont see that. They see the image of him. That speaks volumes to a lot of people.
?
No.. if Lebron were to wear du rags and baggy jeans instead of the suits he does now, that would worsen his image. You're just straight playing the race card now.

It doesn't matter what these guys wear, they're hated on because they're black.

Bullshit. There are many fans that can differentiate between the two. Just because a fan doesn't like to see a player in 'ghetto' attire doesn't mean he also judges him for having tats and 'oozing testosterone'[:wtf: .. talk about bringing up stereotypes].

It's a decency thing. Sure Lebron is ghetto by most accounts[can you imagine him going in for a business interview? Tattoos + low education level + not the best speaker] but to show up to interviews and games in big baggy street clothes is just like saying fvck it I dont give a shit what anyone thinks of me.. thats not what a professional would do because professionals care about their appearance and level of formality in the way they dress.

LJJ
10-20-2011, 08:10 PM
Yet again, it continues to go over your head.

Either you've never dealt with enough experiences in your life to understand the difference I pointed out or you're just not mature enough to be corrected by others without resorting to subtle insults.

Im not here to argue with you, just here to inform you.

Right right dude. :oldlol: I guess the mature thing is the make a fuss over subtleties when you are making millions of dollars.

Rowe
10-21-2011, 01:47 AM
Right right dude. :oldlol: I guess the mature thing is the make a fuss over subtleties when you are making millions of dollars.

What is there to risk?

Rowe
10-21-2011, 01:59 AM
No.. if Lebron were to wear du rags and baggy jeans instead of the suits he does now, that would worsen his image. You're just straight playing the race card now.

It doesn't matter what these guys wear, they're hated on because they're black.

Bullshit. There are many fans that can differentiate between the two. Just because a fan doesn't like to see a player in 'ghetto' attire doesn't mean he also judges him for having tats and 'oozing testosterone'[:wtf: .. talk about bringing up stereotypes].

It's a decency thing. Sure Lebron is ghetto by most accounts[can you imagine him going in for a business interview? Tattoos + low education level + not the best speaker] but to show up to interviews and games in big baggy street clothes is just like saying fvck it I dont give a shit what anyone thinks of me.. thats not what a professional would do because professionals care about their appearance and level of formality in the way they dress.
Once again, why are we immediately resorting to the image of a NBA player wearing du-rags & baggy clothes? Its 2011 bro. That isnt how any guy is going to be dressed today.

However if there was no dress code and he was arriving to games dressed as he does outside of basketball(Taken from his Twitterfeed):

[big ass thread breaking picture of Lebron in tshirt and backwards snapback goes here]

Would it matter? Is this "thug apparel"?

InspiredLebowski
10-21-2011, 02:20 AM
I don't get the furor over the dress code, I really don't, like it's a big deal to have to wear a shirt and slacks and dress professionally. Does it make me think the players actually ARE more professional because they don't wear throwbacks and baggy pants anymore? No, but none of us here are Joe Public who may watch a quarter of the Lakers/Celtics as he's flipping channels. It's not like he's telling Birdman to wear spandex under his jersey to cover his ink or outlawing braids or something.

nayte
10-21-2011, 06:14 AM
While not being American I cant understand the internal dialog buut it sounds like someone is trying to garner ratings with provocotive statements..

bagelred
10-21-2011, 11:57 AM
Bryant Gumbel ain't black anyway.

#moreracebaitingtoreach50pages

with malice
10-21-2011, 12:00 PM
While not being American I cant understand the internal dialog buut it sounds like someone is trying to garner ratings with provocotive statements..
Kinda fall in the same boat. How relevant has Bryant Gumbel been recently (prior to this statement)?

Dizzle-2k7
10-21-2011, 12:05 PM
If a White guy is wearing a snapback hat, V-Neck Tee, True Religion Jeans, & $100+ dollar basketball shoes I'll be damned if he didnt pick up his "urban style" from watching his Black peers or Black entertainers.

:roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:

RACIST unentitled MUTHA****A.

might as well say "anyone with style is trying to be black"

Dizzle-2k7
10-21-2011, 12:07 PM
http://buzzstyle.justjaredjr.com/store/thumb/12a06173dd/135x205/kevin-and-nick-jonas-metal-detecting-duo-jonas-brothers-metal-detecting-01-just-jared.jpeg

JONAS BROTHER tryna be black!!!

AlphaWolf24
10-21-2011, 12:11 PM
Are you kidding me??!!! Michael Jordan appealed to everyone when he first came into the league. He was phenomenal for the league. He certainly wasn't seen as too black, that couldn't be farther from the truth. Jordan wore gold chains at the all star game, which rubbed a few of his peers the wrong way, but he wasn't wearing gold chains all the time. Jordan was seen as a soft spoken country boy with tremendous charisma. Jordan, bird and Magic were god sends for the league. There was no talk of Jordan being too black, that is completely absurd. Jordan's first year in the league has little competition in the sheer amount of positivity and excitement he brought to the league.

This..................I remember going to Footlocker at the Bay Fair Mall back in 85'....they had a lifesize cutout of MJ in the front of their store.

RRR3
10-21-2011, 12:25 PM
:oldlol:

Lebron lookin' like a thug who is about to kill someone.

:cheers:
LOL the original pic is 2Pac and Biggie. I'm still not good at editing photos, though so it looks messy.

bagelred
10-21-2011, 12:36 PM
http://buzzstyle.justjaredjr.com/store/thumb/12a06173dd/135x205/kevin-and-nick-jonas-metal-detecting-duo-jonas-brothers-metal-detecting-01-just-jared.jpeg

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_Pqpmm2T6j4g/RqnkCSYW8GI/AAAAAAAABGo/zuGGyqphGVc/s400/Poochie.jpg

Crown&Coke
10-21-2011, 01:15 PM
Stern is a douche, but I don't think he is a racist. I read he used to be apart of the NAACP or something like that.

Bryant Gumbel is a dumb ass. I was listening to this on the radio the morning after it happened and they kept saying "Bryant said......" and I was like, "WTF did Kobe do?" It took me like 30 minutes to figure out they were talking about Gumby.

Where's Kanye at? "David Stern don't care about black people!!"

Sarcastic
10-21-2011, 01:29 PM
This..................I remember going to Footlocker at the Bay Fair Mall back in 85'....they had a lifesize cutout of MJ in the front of their store.

I never said he wasn't marketed. I was talking about appeal. He was marketed heavily.

Who do you think popularized baggy shorts and the bald head?

When Jordan first came into the league he was considered a shot jacking chucker who didn't care about winning, as long as he got his points. Many people used to say he would never win with his style of play. If you think that type of basketball appeals to everyone, then you must think Iverson appeals to everyone too.

Dizzle-2k7
10-21-2011, 03:50 PM
. If you think that type of basketball appeals to everyone, then you must think Iverson appeals to everyone too.

Jordan was never ever ever ever ever ever ever villified the way Iverson was.. know why? Cuz he was a good ol country boy, thats why.

Never ever everever evererevereverever
http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-0d_tgkSGWtU/Thtv_Pd94WI/AAAAAAAAAZs/3GTu0pkM3Cs/s1600/christucker3.jpg

bagelred
10-21-2011, 06:38 PM
Stern is a douche, but I don't think he is a racist. I read he used to be apart of the NAACP or something like that.

Bryant Gumbel is a dumb ass.

Why? Because he act white? Maybe YOU'RE the racist.

#meanlinglessracecomment

RRR3
10-22-2011, 12:34 PM

http://images.zaazu.com/img/Rabbi-hebrew-chanukah-festival-of-lights-smiley-emoticon-000426-large.gif

Sarcastic
10-22-2011, 05:01 PM
Jordan was never ever ever ever ever ever ever villified the way Iverson was.. know why? Cuz he was a good ol country boy, thats why.

Never ever everever evererevereverever
http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-0d_tgkSGWtU/Thtv_Pd94WI/AAAAAAAAAZs/3GTu0pkM3Cs/s1600/christucker3.jpg

I never said he was. I said his game was considered selfish.

Xover
10-22-2011, 05:24 PM
who df is bryant gumbel, not from the states

Rowe
10-22-2011, 09:55 PM
I never said he was. I said his game was considered selfish.

Yep.

He arrived in an era with Bird & Magic being the examples of "team leadership". People forget he modeled his game after David Thompson, who himself was considered selfish for his playing style.

Rowe
10-22-2011, 10:27 PM

RACIST unentitled MUTHA****A.

might as well say "anyone with style is trying to be black"
Fail logic.

Depends on what you consider to be "style".

If you consider "urban style" to be "style" than obviously it is coming from the Hip Hop scene.

If you dress professionally on a consistent basis, then I doubt you consider a hat, v-neck tee, jeans, & expensive sneakers to be "style".

Dizzle-2k7
10-23-2011, 12:34 AM
Fail logic.

Depends on what you consider to be "style".

If you consider "urban style" to be "style" than obviously it is coming from the Hip Hop scene.

If you dress professionally on a consistent basis, then I doubt you consider a hat, v-neck tee, jeans, & expensive sneakers to be "style".

massive fail.

the current urban style evolved from the punk/skater/rave scene.

but wait blacks invented punk and skating also right??

bagelred
10-23-2011, 10:17 AM
but wait blacks invented punk and skating also right??

they sure did.....didn't they also invent watermelon?

#incitingracialangerforthreadgain