PDA

View Full Version : What would be your ULTIMATE team?

scm5
10-19-2011, 12:08 PM
Using all the past NBA players, what would be your ultimate team?

This doesn't mean the best players that have ever stepped on the floor, this means what combination of players would fit together and form the most unstoppable team ever put together? Again, this is about fit, not how great the players were.

For sake of simplicity, 5 man starting rosters.

Stockton
Reggie Miller
Bird
KG
Duncan

Every single player is unselfish and has very high basketball IQ. Stockton combined with KG's midrange, Bird's overall, and Miller's long range would be impossible to defend. It also helps that Bird and KG are two of the best passers their positions have ever seen.

I chose Duncan at C over any other C because if Duncan was able to contain prime Shaq, he's good enough to contain just about any other C. He is unselfish and only dedicated to winning. He doesn't require touches and would have no problems taking a backseat to anyone on the team or to take the lead. Even Kareem has been known to have chemistry issues with some players, or has complained about touches. Hakeem might be a good fit, but I just like Duncan's overall demeanor as a better fit for this team.

KG over any other PF (aside from Duncan) because while he's batshit insane, he's incredibly dedicated to his team and to winning. Probably the most versatile PF defender ever.

Bird at SF because let's face it, he has it all. Scores at will on some impressive shooting. Rebounds like a PF. Passes like a PG. Defends intelligently, which would work with such interior defenders as KG and Duncan.

Reggie at SG instead of MJ?! Yup. I don't think a team like this would benefit from an MJ type player. He was at his best when he was on a roll and doing everything himself. Instead, I chose one of the best shooters the league has ever seen that has never failed to step it up when he was needed. Spacing would also be key.

Stockton instead of Magic? Yup. Stockton was a tough, TOUGH player. Never heard about him complaining or having issues with the front office, coaches, or teammates. Tough defender, one of the greatest passers ever, and scored efficiently from anywhere.

GO!

pauk
10-19-2011, 12:35 PM
PG - Oscar
SG - Jordan
SF - Lebron
PF - Wilt
C - Shaq

http://www.gifsforum.com/images/gif/approval/grand/ufc_approve_gif.gif

EnoughSaid
10-19-2011, 12:36 PM
Stockton
MJ
Bird
KG
Hakeem

:bowdown: :bowdown:

Nelson14
10-19-2011, 12:46 PM
nash
vince
tmac
amare
dwight

run and gun lobfest

scm5
10-19-2011, 01:00 PM
nash
vince
tmac
amare
dwight

run and gun lobfest

If I wanted to do that...

Magic
VC
MJ
Blake Griffin
Dwight

mavsownage41
10-19-2011, 01:02 PM
Jason Kidd
Jason Terry
Shawn Marion
Dirk Nowitzki
Tyson Chandler

dbugz
10-19-2011, 01:07 PM
D. Rose
Ray Allen
Pippen
Duncan
Shaq

:pimp:

Phong
10-19-2011, 01:16 PM
PG: Magic
SG: Kobe
SF: Baylor
PF: Kareem
C: Wilt

All Lakers. :pimp:

bond10
10-19-2011, 01:20 PM
Team SHUTDOWN

Hakeem
Bill Russell
Rodman
Jordan
Payton

Odinn
10-19-2011, 01:26 PM
Jason Kidd
Michael Jordan
Julius Erving
Tim Duncan
Kareem Abdul-Jabbar or Shaquille O'Neal

Coach; Gregg Popovich

alwaysunny
10-19-2011, 01:29 PM
Stockton
Jordan
Pippen
Duncan
Shaq

alenleomessi
10-19-2011, 01:49 PM
Wall
Gordon
Durant
Griffin
DJ

Pushxx
10-19-2011, 02:02 PM
Magic
Ray Allen
Bird
Duncan
Russell

Perfect blend of everything.

Odinn
10-19-2011, 02:21 PM
Magic
Ray Allen
Bird
Duncan
Russell

Perfect blend of everything.
Nope. This team isn't good at perimeter defending.

Jan95
10-19-2011, 02:26 PM
Kidd
Jordan
Pippen
Dirk
Kareem

Champ
10-19-2011, 02:40 PM
Magic
Jordan
Bird
Duncan
And a prime Bill Walton (77-78)

Going for a mixture a great passing, high IQ, and clutch play:rockon: .

CAstill
10-19-2011, 02:45 PM
GP
Kobe
Rodman
Kemp
Shaq

I really don't think any team could see this one.

pauk
10-19-2011, 02:58 PM
ALL NBA http://www.spiritline.com/images/cat_img175/5l014t.jpg TEAM:

PG - Mark Price
SG - Ray Allen
SF - Reggie Miller
PF - Larry Bird
C - Dirk Nowitzki

Odinn
10-19-2011, 02:59 PM

PG - Steve Nash
SG - Ray Allen
SF - Reggie Miller
PF - Larry Bird
C - Dirk Nowitzki
Then, fixed it for you.

MasterDurant24
10-19-2011, 03:08 PM

PG - Mark Price
SG - Ray Allen
SF - Reggie Miller
PF - Larry Bird
C - Dirk Nowitzki

lol no D at all.

Magic
Jordan
Bird
Hakeem
Duncan

My team.

J_Rock3ts
10-19-2011, 03:13 PM
lol no D at all.

Magic
Jordan
Bird
Hakeem
Duncan

My team.

same, I'd just have TD at PF and Hakeem at Center.

FatComputerNerd
10-19-2011, 03:15 PM
Payton
Ray Allen
Larry Bird
Dennis Rodman
Hakeem

Woulda put MJ at the 2 spot but there would be too many egos.

I think this team gives a good mix of shooters and guys who will bang in the paint and get rebounds.

All high b-ball IQ players too, with no weaknesses defensively. (Allen is underrated defensively)

rodman91
10-19-2011, 03:23 PM
Wilt
Kareem
Pippen
Jordan
Payton

:bowdown:

catch24
10-19-2011, 03:32 PM
Russell - defense, rebounding and sound leadership intangibles; the guy is the greatest winner in sports
Barkley - most efficient scorer at his position; one of the greatest rebounders and offensive players all-time
Bird - elite playmaking, high iq..and incredibly clutch
Jordan - greatest two-way player the games seen; like bird, arguably the most clutch player ever
Magic - best floor general and conductor of an offense

Those two alone (bolded), on the same team? Scary thought.

catch24
10-19-2011, 03:42 PM
You could also replace Bird with Pippen and that team wouldn't miss a beat. In fact it might be better. Pippen could guard multiple positions, rebound/playmake..and more importantly..didn't need the ball to be effective.

Pushxx
10-19-2011, 04:22 PM
Nope. This team isn't good at perimeter defending.

Magic, Jesus, and Bird were all barely above average 1-on-1 defenders, but they were all elite team defenders with the two best defending big men ever behind them.

pauk
10-19-2011, 04:54 PM
lol no D at all.

Magic
Jordan
Bird
Hakeem
Duncan

My team.

does that matter when they cant miss a god damn thing? these players can basically behind the back throw it at the hoop or under the leg bounce the ball to the hoop and SWISH! :oldlol:

they would be trading baskets.... but they would prevail because they would outscore anybody!

pauk
10-19-2011, 04:58 PM
Then, fixed it for you.

dude... im talking about this Mark Price:

52% FG
49% 3PT
95% FT

that bastard was vicious

Miserio
10-19-2011, 05:01 PM
Pg: Pippen
Sg: Jordan
Sf: James
Pf: B. Wallace
C: Hakeem

Would win every game easily with the combination of great 1 on 1 defense, outstanding help defense and the offensive players to make it on the other side of the floor.

Odinn
10-19-2011, 05:05 PM
dude... im talking about this Mark Price:

52% FG
49% 3PT
95% FT

that bastard was vicious
Mark Price was a 0.486 3-pointer in his sophomore year(and never averaged 0.445+ after that season). But his 3pa per game was 1.9. Nash averaged lower than 1.9 just one time that was his rookie season.

Nash had 0.425+ 3pt% for 6 straight seasons.

Price with 1.9 3papg and 0.486%.
Nash with 4.7 3papg and 0.470%.

Your call.

dbugz
10-19-2011, 05:30 PM
Marbury
AI
Sprewell
A. Walker
E. Curry

GOAT team

CAstill
10-19-2011, 06:25 PM
Pg: Pippen
Sg: Jordan
Sf: James
Pf: B. Wallace
C: Hakeem

Would win every game easily with the combination of great 1 on 1 defense, outstanding help defense and the offensive players to make it on the other side of the floor.

Still not seeing my squad.

ThaRegul8r
10-19-2011, 07:13 PM

This doesn't mean the best players that have ever stepped on the floor, this means what combination of players would fit together and form the most unstoppable team ever put together? Again, this is about fit, not how great the players were.

I find this to be a much more interesting question than your standard "What is your greatest starting five ever?", for which people just name whomever they think are the five greatest players ever at each position, which requires zero thought (as each respondent has already formed their opinion on that long ago), and commits the fallacy of composition, that what is true of each part will also be true of the whole (i.e., pick the five best players at each position and that will automatically equal the best possible team).

Math2
10-19-2011, 07:19 PM
PG- Magic Johnson
SG- Jerry West
SF- Bird
PF- Dave Cowens
C- Russell
Coach- Auerbach

The ultimate team players, and the smartest players. Passing from Magic, scoring and D from West, everything from Larry, hustle and boards from Cowens, and boards, rebounding from Russell.

Best ever ^^

FatComputerNerd
10-19-2011, 07:53 PM
Marbury
AI
Sprewell
A. Walker
E. Curry

GOAT team

I realize you are being sarcastic with this post, naming the known head-cases, but I find it hugely disrespectful towards a couple of the players listed.

AI: future HOF'er. Unstoppable force in his prime. AI would either get the bucket or get to the line for 2 easy pts. Nobody could stop him.

Spree': First team ALL-NBA in his prime. Gets a bad rap for choking coaches, and having kids to feed, but when in his prime, and putting forth the effort on both ends, he was arguably a top 10 all-time SG.

swi7ch
10-19-2011, 08:01 PM
Magic
Jordan
Bird
Duncan
Olajuwon

This 5 will beat all the other teams listed here. GOAT players at each position.

Math2
10-19-2011, 08:08 PM
Magic
Jordan
Bird
Duncan
Olajuwon

This 5 will beat all the other teams listed here. GOAT players at each position.

Russell, Kareem, and Wilt are better than Olajuwon.

Dave3
10-19-2011, 08:17 PM
Russell - defense, rebounding and sound leadership intangibles; the guy is the greatest winner in sports
Barkley - most efficient scorer at his position; one of the greatest rebounders and offensive players all-time
Jordan - greatest two-way player the games seen; like bird, arguably the most clutch player ever

Why have 3 defensive holes?

Taking

Stockton/Payton
Jordan
Pippen/LeBron
Duncan/Garnett
Russell

(included some second choices)

Gives you a great offense and an impenetrable defense. Only hole I see is lack of 3 point shooting by having Pippen/Jordan as your swingmen, with only Stockton being the threat, but no 3 point shooting defensive small forward is good enough to replace Pippen.

But yeah, biggest deal is that this team would not be scored on. Imagine trying to get past Jordan/Pippen all game, and when you finally do, there are Russell and Duncan to greet you. Games would end like 100-50 every game.

Also, no clashes of ego here. Jordan is the only major one. Pippen/Duncan/Stockton were all pretty tame, and like you said, Russell is a winner period.

chips93
10-19-2011, 08:17 PM
Magic
Jordan
Bird
Duncan
Olajuwon

2 of your 3 perimeter players are average or below on defense.

i also cant really see magic and mj meshing perfectly. both need to dominate the ball, like this years heat.

pg - stockton
sg - jordan
sf - pippen
pf - garnett
c - hakeem

great defense at every position. everybody is a good playmaker, bit not neccesarily reliant on dominating the ball, i tihnk all of them would be able to take a step back if somebody else is hot. i really like this team. ideally it would have better 3pt shooting.

ZaaaaaH
10-20-2011, 12:37 AM
This is the Highest It can get.

PG. LeBron
SG. Kobe
SF. Jordan
PF. Duncan
C. Shaq

PG. Magic
SG. Jordan
SF. Bird
PF. KG
C. Wilt

PG. Magic
SG. Kobe
SF. LeBron
PF. Hakeem
C. Kareem

Rolando
10-20-2011, 12:55 AM
Magic - Goat Point Guard
Jordan - Goat Shooting Guard
Bird - Goat Small Forward
Duncan - Goat Power Forward
Russell - Center (Perhaps not Goat Center but I got Duncan anyway)

This team would not let itself lose. These guys are all Goat Bball IQ guys and Goat Clutch guys. You ain't winning against this team.:bowdown:

G-train
10-20-2011, 12:59 AM
Shane Heal
Andrew Gaze
Andrew Vlahov
Chris Anstey
Luc Longley

Quata
10-20-2011, 01:06 AM
Deron Williams
Manu Ginobili
Larry Bird
Dirk Nowitzki
Shaquille O'Neal

Go Getter
10-20-2011, 01:34 AM
Stockton
Jordan
Bird
Duncan
O'Neal

UNSTOPPABLE.

NuggetsFan
10-20-2011, 01:36 AM
Nash
Miller
Bird
Dirk
Shaq

Not the best, lacks defense bigtime. I'd just love to see Shaq get doubled and kick it out to all tho's shooters.

LT Ice Cream
10-20-2011, 02:46 AM

For sake of simplicity, 5 man starting rosters.

Stockton
Reggie Miller
Bird
KG
Duncan

Every single player is unselfish and has very high basketball IQ. Stockton combined with KG's midrange, Bird's overall, and Miller's long range would be impossible to defend. It also helps that Bird and KG are two of the best passers their positions have ever seen.

I chose Duncan at C over any other C because if Duncan was able to contain prime Shaq, he's good enough to contain just about any other C. He is unselfish and only dedicated to winning. He doesn't require touches and would have no problems taking a backseat to anyone on the team or to take the lead. Even Kareem has been known to have chemistry issues with some players, or has complained about touches. Hakeem might be a good fit, but I just like Duncan's overall demeanor as a better fit for this team.

KG over any other PF (aside from Duncan) because while he's batshit insane, he's incredibly dedicated to his team and to winning. Probably the most versatile PF defender ever.

Bird at SF because let's face it, he has it all. Scores at will on some impressive shooting. Rebounds like a PF. Passes like a PG. Defends intelligently, which would work with such interior defenders as KG and Duncan.

Reggie at SG instead of MJ?! Yup. I don't think a team like this would benefit from an MJ type player. He was at his best when he was on a roll and doing everything himself. Instead, I chose one of the best shooters the league has ever seen that has never failed to step it up when he was needed. Spacing would also be key.

Stockton instead of Magic? Yup. Stockton was a tough, TOUGH player. Never heard about him complaining or having issues with the front office, coaches, or teammates. Tough defender, one of the greatest passers ever, and scored efficiently from anywhere.

GO!

Great team and good reasoning behind it. But with all that firepower on the floor, I would swap Stockton out for Rondo. I actually think it would one up your team by just a bit.

Deuce Bigalow
10-20-2011, 02:48 AM
Magic
Kobe
Jordan
Duncan
Shaq

6th man: Bird

Miserio
10-20-2011, 02:55 AM
Magic
Jordan
Bird
Duncan
Shaq

6th man: Kobe
Don't do ridiculous shit in order to put Kobe in the starting 5

hammer2010
10-20-2011, 02:56 AM
John Stockton
Ray Allen
Larry Bird
Duncan
Shaquille O'Neal

Beat this team. I dare you!

Only weakness is front court free-throw shooting.

Ben Wallace
10-20-2011, 03:11 AM
PG-Gary Payton
SG-Michael Jordan
SF-Scottie Pippen
PF-Kevin Garnett
C-Ben Wallace

scott0326
10-20-2011, 03:12 AM
PG: Earl Boykins
SG: Othyus Jeffers
SF: Brian Scalabrine
PF: Calvin Booth
C: Michael Ruffin

trooper
10-20-2011, 03:16 AM
PG - Payton
SG - Miller
SF - Bird
PF - Duncan
C - Russell

RobertdeMeijer
10-20-2011, 04:48 AM
My cellar team would be:

(boring starting 5)
Magic, Jordan, Bird, Duncan and Kareem

Bench:
Stockton: for making opponents crazy
Pippen: to do anything that needs to be done and be perimeter defender
Rodman: for boards and defense
Nowitzki: to abuse a mismatch
Olajuwon: Second big guy in case Duncan or Kareem get foul trouble
Ray Allen: best thooler ever
Kurt Rambis: to execute opponent's best player

RobertdeMeijer
10-20-2011, 04:51 AM
PG: Earl Boykins
SG: Othyus Jeffers
SF: Brian Scalabrine
PF: Calvin Booth
C: Michael Ruffin

:rolleyes: :oldlol:

el gringos
10-20-2011, 10:56 AM
Billups/Jrue holiday
JR Smith
Carmelo
Nene/Rasheed W
Bargnani/Camby
This team would be a dynasty, and could have actually have been put together
----------
Carmelo and nene working in the paint with Billups, Jr, and Bargnani would be ungaurdable- the only thing that stopped something like this happening was an owner who wouldn't pay for a winner and a loser coach that would have found some anthony carters to put in the game even if he had a roster like this

DMAVS41
10-20-2011, 11:00 AM
Nash
Jordan
Pippen
Dirk
Russell

catch24
10-20-2011, 11:29 AM

I don't think Bird by any means was a "defensive hole". The guy wasn't the best defender but he wasn't putrid either. In LB's prime, he was selected to multiple all-defensive teams.

As for the other two? I'm of the opinion that the greatest offense>>>defense (talking about individual play here). If Pippen replaced Bird you have the two greatest perimeter defenders and the viable Bill Russell, who was arguably the greatest rim-protector. I think that team, especially under Russell and Jordan's principles is infallible. They have a preeminent balance of offense/defense; fierce competitors, intangibly sound fundamentals; that first squad would be an unstoppable force, any way you slice it.

clipps
10-20-2011, 01:05 PM
C- Dikembe Mutombo - Chris Kaman
F- Dennis Rodman - Robert Horry
F- Ron Artest - Bruce Bowen
G- Michael Jordan - Eric Piatkowski
G- Gary Payton - Steve Kerr

Head Coach: Phil Jackson

Defensively, the starters create a brick wall. Before you even have a chance at offense, the starters will already get in your head verbally. MJ, Gary, and Artest will provide enough scoring power so Dennis Rodman and Mutombo can just focus on defense and rebounding. The bench is filled with marksman shooters, crafty defensive players on big man offense to compensate for the starters short comings on defense. My game plan would to switch out Mutombo and Artest for Bowen and Kaman so the defense now has to focus on Kaman's offense, and Bowens perimeter shooting, while still providing good defense. Since Piatkowski and Kerr are very weak defensively, they will never be in at the same time. Piatkowski 3 point shooting will complement Gary Payton's game and Chris Kaman's post offense, while Steve Kerr would complement MJ. Robert Horry is that crafty big man that can do a little bit of everything and would be in there to at the end of games. This would be a completely dangerous team with 2 minutes left of a close game with MJ, Kerr, and Horry.

Deuce Bigalow
10-20-2011, 01:10 PM
Don't do ridiculous shit in order to put Kobe in the starting 5

its my team *******, post your own

DMAVS41
10-20-2011, 03:12 PM

I like this team, but I worry about floor spacing on offense....especially if you put in Pippen for Bird. You don't have any three point shooters out there. Too easy to defend in my opinion.

catch24
10-20-2011, 03:26 PM
I like this team, but I worry about floor spacing on offense....especially if you put in Pippen for Bird. You don't have any three point shooters out there. Too easy to defend in my opinion.

Good point. I don't think they'd need the 3-ball to be successful (their defense and offensive efficiency would make up for it IMO), but it does make them more versatile..and tougher to defend depending who the opposing defense is.

You replace Pipp with Bird..you get more spacing but also add another ball-dominant player. Whats your team?

Cali Syndicate
10-20-2011, 03:29 PM
Payton

Jordan

Pippen

Hakeem

Duncan

Pushxx
10-20-2011, 03:51 PM
The best offense beats the best defense. People think you can stick Rodman and Bowen on some of these teams and they'll shut people down.

There is no shutting down Birds, Magics, Jordans, and Shaqs. Offense wins.

Bigsmoke
10-20-2011, 03:53 PM
this is so kindergarten

DMAVS41
10-20-2011, 04:17 PM
Good point. I don't think they'd need the 3-ball to be successful (their defense and offensive efficiency would make up for it IMO), but it does make them more versatile..and tougher to defend depending who the opposing defense is.

You replace Pipp with Bird..you get more spacing but also add another ball-dominant player. Whats your team?

mine is:

nash
jordan
pippen
dirk
russell

i'm not going to sit here and say its the best team or anything....but i love the versatility they have on both ends. nash is a huge weak link defensively, but i think he makes up for it on offense. just think of the space that jordan would have to operate with nash and dirk at the three point line. that team is lacking some post scoring, but the reason i did that was because pippen and jordan played their entire careers without a post.

i just think nash, jordan, and dirk is about as unstoppable as it gets late in a game. pippen and russell doing the dirty work would be a sight to behold as well. it would be hard to pay them much attention at all.

i like this team because jordan and nash can have the ball a lot. pippen doesn't need it a ton. dirk is great off the ball. and of course russell is a perfect fit.

i thought about going with chris paul over nash. i'm really not sure which is better. paul is the better player in my opinion, but i just think nash surrounded by 3 of the best defenders ever and dirk would be crazy good.

JellyBean
10-20-2011, 06:25 PM
PG:Magic
SG:Scottie Pippen
SF:Alex English
PF: Kevin Mchale
C: The Captain..Kareem

I have my defense in Pippen. Shooter in smooth Alex English. Post covered with McHale and Kareem....and the Magic man running the show. Dang. I might have to try this lineup in 2K

catch24
10-20-2011, 06:47 PM
mine is:

nash
jordan
pippen
dirk
russell

i'm not going to sit here and say its the best team or anything....but i love the versatility they have on both ends. nash is a huge weak link defensively, but i think he makes up for it on offense. just think of the space that jordan would have to operate with nash and dirk at the three point line. that team is lacking some post scoring, but the reason i did that was because pippen and jordan played their entire careers without a post.

i just think nash, jordan, and dirk is about as unstoppable as it gets late in a game. pippen and russell doing the dirty work would be a sight to behold as well. it would be hard to pay them much attention at all.

i like this team because jordan and nash can have the ball a lot. pippen doesn't need it a ton. dirk is great off the ball. and of course russell is a perfect fit.

i thought about going with chris paul over nash. i'm really not sure which is better. paul is the better player in my opinion, but i just think nash surrounded by 3 of the best defenders ever and dirk would be crazy good.

My only concern would be their defense..but with the way those guys would be scoring that may be negated. I'm digging the balance. Jordan's penetration/drive-and-kick to Dirk and Nash would be deadly.

Nice list

1987_Lakers
10-20-2011, 07:32 PM
PG - Steve Nash
SG - Michael Jordan
SF - Larry Bird
PF - Kevin McHale
C - Kareem

sodap
10-21-2011, 12:44 AM
kareem, dirk, bird, jordan, magic

D-Wade316
10-21-2011, 06:11 AM
C: Russell
PF: KG
SF: Pippen
SG: Jordan
PG: Stockton/Payton
Coach: Red

Sick defense. With Russell and KG, no one can enter the paint. Teams would be forced to shoot from the 3-pt line. Both provide a tremendous edge in the blocking, and rebound department. Both are decent scorers as well.

Pippen guards the opposing team's best perimeter player, as well as contributing decent points. Jordan is the team's primary scorer. He'd also add to the team's perimeter d. Stockton would run the offense. We must not forget that Stockton as well as a great defender. Payton provides enough points, while locking down his opposing player.

The minor hole I see in my team is 3-pt shooting, but that wouldn't matter because the best scorer of all-time is in my time.

D-Wade316
10-21-2011, 06:20 AM

Taking

Stockton/Payton
Jordan
Pippen/LeBron
Duncan/Garnett
Russell

(included some second choices)

Gives you a great offense and an impenetrable defense. Only hole I see is lack of 3 point shooting by having Pippen/Jordan as your swingmen, with only Stockton being the threat, but no 3 point shooting defensive small forward is good enough to replace Pippen.

But yeah, biggest deal is that this team would not be scored on. Imagine trying to get past Jordan/Pippen all game, and when you finally do, there are Russell and Duncan to greet you. Games would end like 100-50 every game.

Also, no clashes of ego here. Jordan is the only major one. Pippen/Duncan/Stockton were all pretty tame, and like you said, Russell is a winner period.
We have identical lists. :cheers:

millwad
10-21-2011, 06:46 AM

Wow, that was so cool!
You are easily one of the best posters of all-time a la ISH! Keep up your great job, we really love your posts on this site!!!

Hondo
10-21-2011, 07:02 AM
PG: Jo Jo White/ Dennis Johnson/ Bob Cousy
SG: Sam Jones/ Reggie Lewis/ Danny Ainge
SF: John Havlicek/ Paul Pierce/ Len Bias
PF: Larry Bird/ Kevin McHale/ Tommy Heinsohn
CT: Bill Russell/ Dave Cowens/ Robert Parish

Coach: Red Auerbach
Assistant coach: Bill Sharman
Assistant coach: Doc Rivers

Practice team:
PG: Rajon Rondo/ Brian Shaw
SG: Gerald Henderson/ Eric Williams
SF: Walter McCarty/ Satch Sanders
PF: Antoine Walker/ Dino Radja/ Brian Scalabrine
CT: Eric Montross/ Joe Kleine/ Tom Boswell

EPIC!

D-Wade316
10-21-2011, 07:03 AM
Wow, that was so cool!
You are easily one of the best posters of all-time a la ISH! Keep up your great job, we really love your posts on this site!!!
:confusedshrug: What's wrong with my objective post?

MasterDurant24
10-21-2011, 07:12 AM
PG - Steve Nash
SG - Michael Jordan
SF - Larry Bird
PF - Kevin McHale
C - Kareem
This is a really good team right here, Nash's bad defense would be hidden behind the great defensive big men behind him in McHale and Kareem.

RRR3
10-21-2011, 08:05 AM
PG: Jo Jo White/ Dennis Johnson/ Bob Cousy
SG: Sam Jones/ Reggie Lewis/ Danny Ainge
SF: John Havlicek/ Paul Pierce/ Len Bias
PF: Larry Bird/ Kevin McHale/ Tommy Heinsohn
CT: Bill Russell/ Dave Cowens/ Robert Parish

Coach: Red Auerbach
Assistant coach: Bill Sharman
Assistant coach: Doc Rivers

Practice team:
PG: Rajon Rondo/ Brian Shaw
SG: Gerald Henderson/ Eric Williams
SF: Walter McCarty/ Satch Sanders
PF: Antoine Walker/ Dino Radja/ Brian Scalabrine
CT: Eric Montross/ Joe Kleine/ Tom Boswell

EPIC!

Larry Bird over Scal :roll: :roll: :roll:

Rojogaqu11
10-21-2011, 08:39 AM
Gary Payton
Michael Jordan
Lebron James
Tim Duncan
Shaquille Oneal

Bench

Magic Johnson
Kobe Bryant
Larry Bird
Hakeem Olajuwon
Kareem A. Jabbar

Rest of Team

Grant Hill
Ray Allen
Scottie Pippen
Charles Barkley
David Robinson

Smoke117
10-21-2011, 08:51 AM
PG: Jason Kidd

SG: Ray Allen

SF: Scottie Pippen

PF: Charles Barkley

C: Kareem Adbdul Jabbar

Lebron23
10-21-2011, 09:03 AM
G- John Stockton
G- Michael Jordan
F- LeBron James
F- Tim Duncan
C- Shaquille O'Neal

Dave3
10-21-2011, 09:26 AM
I don't think Bird by any means was a "defensive hole". The guy wasn't the best defender but he wasn't putrid either. In LB's prime, he was selected to multiple all-defensive teams.

As for the other two? I'm of the opinion that the greatest offense>>>defense (talking about individual play here). If Pippen replaced Bird you have the two greatest perimeter defenders and the viable Bill Russell, who was arguably the greatest rim-protector. I think that team, especially under Russell and Jordan's principles is infallible. They have a preeminent balance of offense/defense; fierce competitors, intangibly sound fundamentals; that first squad would be an unstoppable force, any way you slice it.
Bird made all defensive teams?:facepalm

Damn. Going by what I hear on ISH I thought he was terrible defensively. (I can't go by much else, I was born in 1989). My fault there definitely. I didn't think to check "ALL NBA Defense" for Bird's name at all considering what's said about him.

The way I was thinking though, is that if all 5 of your players are amazing defenders, then that's the most valuable thing (as long as they're all more than competent offensively). Plus, having 5 amazing offensive players on the floor at all times I think is a slight waste, just because there's only one ball. And the players I chose were all good-legendary offensively while all being great defensively, so it's not like I'm sacrificing offense for D.

Dave3
10-21-2011, 09:28 AM
:cheers:

I preferred Duncan over Garnett though:D . Just think he's more valuable low post and offensively.

Dave3
10-21-2011, 09:32 AM
Wow, that was so cool!
??? is he offending you by talking to someone else saying something harmless?

D-Wade316
10-21-2011, 09:48 AM
:cheers:

I preferred Duncan over Garnett though:D . Just think he's more valuable low post and offensively.
I see your preference. Duncan has the slight edge in offense, while KG has the slight edge in defense.

D-Wade316
10-21-2011, 09:49 AM
??? is he offending you by talking to someone else saying something harmless?
Nah. He's just butthurt to know that I'm a Wilt-supporter. As you know, he's extremely butthurt that Wilt>Hakeem.

Anyway, just let this pass. No hard feelings.

Thorn
10-21-2011, 10:08 AM
Bird made all defensive teams?:facepalm

Damn. Going by what I hear on ISH I thought he was terrible defensively. (I can't go by much else, I was born in 1989). My fault there definitely. I didn't think to check "ALL NBA Defense" for Bird's name at all considering what's said about him.

The way I was thinking though, is that if all 5 of your players are amazing defenders, then that's the most valuable thing (as long as they're all more than competent offensively). Plus, having 5 amazing offensive players on the floor at all times I think is a slight waste, just because there's only one ball. And the players I chose were all good-legendary offensively while all being great defensively, so it's not like I'm sacrificing offense for D.

Bird was a great help defender and had excellent anticipation skills. He wasn't an awesome man to man defender, but since he was pretty fast in the three years he made All-D (82-84), he made up for his deficiencies. Moreover, he was great at playing passing lanes - able to strip easily or block shots from behind.

He was also very good at breaking up fast break opportunities - 2 on 1s, 3 on 1s...

There's a few times in the 1987 ECF against the Pistons where he forces Adrian Dantley into traveling by anticipating where Dantley was going to move. Bird was an unbelievably smart defender.:cheers:

Harison
10-21-2011, 10:54 AM
Ultimate team should have balanced offense and defense, great team play, good chemistry. Since there is only one ball, no point of stacking ball dominant players.

Also some mentioned ultimate offensive team cant be stopped so they dont need defense - not entirely true. Great defensive teams can still somewhat limit and annoy great players (just ask Jordan about Bad Boys, Kobe against '08 Celtics and '04 Pistons, etc), while scoring themselves easily against weak defense. Offense can be on or off any given game, however defense always stays, thats why greatest teams of All-time stressed their offense starts with their defense.

Starting five:

PG: Pippen. My team already have incredible ball movement, so instead of getting ball dominant PG like Magic, etc., I would rather have excellent playmaker like Pippen with team-passing oriented game. However defensively Pippen would harass opponents PG to death, limiting them and forcing turnovers :cheers: Scoring wise he also huge mismatch.
SG: Jordan. The GOAT, as usual - burying his opponents.

SF: Bird. Stretching the floor, can score from anywhere at will, pure team player.

PF: The Dream. Who is the best player of All-time for PF position? Sorry Duncan, sorry KG and the rest - no one can top Hakeem at PF, on both sides of the floor.

C: Russell. When team has Jordan, Bird and Dream, no point of starting another ball dominant player. I would rather have GOAT winner, GOAT defender, arguably GOAT rebounder.

This team has Top 3 of the most clutch players ever, GOAT defense and rebounding, GOAT passing, and incredible offense. Also chemistry works, this team could play together all their careers.

Bench:

PG: Frazier. Excellent playmaker and more than excellent defender :pimp: Was thinking about Payton, but he failed in triangle, it seems Frazier was a smarter player.

SG: Ray Allen. Arguably GOAT 3PT shooter, if I need an extra spacing.

SF: Havlicek. Lebron also a good choice, but I prefer smarter players.

PF: Garnett. One of the best two-way team players of All-time, perfect addition to Kareem.

C: Kareem. I thought about Shaq, but he has two drawbacks for my team - massive ego wont allow him to co-exist with other superstars for long, and off the bench? Forget it. Defense solid, but not on par with Kareem, or mature Wilt for that matter.

Coach: Red, assistants: Pop and Phil.

scm5
10-21-2011, 11:16 AM
G- John Stockton
G- Michael Jordan
F- LeBron James
F- Tim Duncan
C- Shaquille O'Neal

Where's the spacing coming from?

Shaq already clogs up much of the lane. This team could be beat with a good zone. I'm not saying by just any team, but a team of similar caliber players? Definitely.

Dave3
10-21-2011, 12:52 PM
Bird was a great help defender and had excellent anticipation skills. He wasn't an awesome man to man defender, but since he was pretty fast in the three years he made All-D (82-84), he made up for his deficiencies. Moreover, he was great at playing passing lanes - able to strip easily or block shots from behind.

He was also very good at breaking up fast break opportunities - 2 on 1s, 3 on 1s...

There's a few times in the 1987 ECF against the Pistons where he forces Adrian Dantley into traveling by anticipating where Dantley was going to move. Bird was an unbelievably smart defender.:cheers:
Thanks:cheers: . Wait, why is this poster banned?:confusedshrug:

Dave3
10-21-2011, 12:53 PM
Where's the spacing coming from?

Shaq already clogs up much of the lane. This team could be beat with a good zone. I'm not saying by just any team, but a team of similar caliber players? Definitely.
Stockton 3's, Jordan and LeBron and even Duncan out to ~20 feet. That's more than enough spacing I'd think.

Thorn
10-21-2011, 01:07 PM
Thanks:cheers: . Wait, why is this poster banned?:confusedshrug:

Heh, I ain't banned. :D

Bird's D tends to be overlooked because he wasn't a great man defender and because he offensive capabilities overshadowed his defensive ones. Despite a lack of athleticism, he had other qualities that helped him become a decent defender - for example insanely high basketball IQ.

scm5
10-21-2011, 03:11 PM
Stockton 3's, Jordan and LeBron and even Duncan out to ~20 feet. That's more than enough spacing I'd think.

Aside from Stockton, none of them are knockdown 3 point shooters. I'd rather have Jordan or Lebron shooting 3's than driving or in MJ's case, doing anything else.