PDA

View Full Version : The battle for rank #10 all time... Hakeem vs Kobe

pauk
10-20-2011, 08:15 PM
It might be debatable who had better career... or is it? I have my opinion.... but... its your show! Lets try and thread the needle here...

Look at these accomplishments first..... and then lets discuss/debate who has the edge out of these 2 players and why....

WHO HAD A BETTER CAREER?

here are the accomplishments/achievements, feel free to add some facts which you think will work in a players favour...:

HAKEEM OLAJUWON
http://i1214.photobucket.com/albums/cc500/pauk666/Hakeem-Olajuwon-Slam-Dunk-Wallpaper.jpg

1 x MVP
2 x Finals MVP
2 x THE MAN Champion
2 x Defensive Player of The Year
1 x Olympic Gold Medalist
12 x All-Star
6 x All-NBA team
9 x All-Defensive team
1st All-Rookie team
NBA's 50th Anniversary All-Time Team
Hall of Famer

Notable highlight:
Is the first and only player in NBA history to win the MVP, FMVP, Championship and DPOY in one season....
Olajuwon ended his career in the top ten all-time in blocks, scoring, rebounding and steals
as he is the only player in NBA history to retire in the top ten for all four categories and is known as the best post player in NBA history.

Rivals/Competition at his Position:
Shaquille Oneal
Patrick Ewing
Alonzo Mourning
David Robinson
Dikembe Mutombo

PLAYOFFS STATS:
Rebounds:.....11.2
Assists:...........3.2
Blocks:...........3.3
Steals:...........1.7
PER:.............25.7 (#5 all-time)

Best Playoff run of at least 2 rounds, 1994-95:
33 ppg @ 53% FG
10 rpg
5 apg
4 bpg
2 spg

SEASON STATS:
Rebounds:......11.1
Assists:...........2.5
Blocks:...........3.1
Steals:............1.7
PER:..............23.6 (#16 all-time)

Best season 1992-93:
26 ppg @ 53% FG
13 rpg
4 apg
4 bpg
2 spg
PER - 27.3

KOBE BRYANT
http://i1214.photobucket.com/albums/cc500/pauk666/Kobe-2011-Dunk-Widescreen-Wallpaper-BasketWallpapers_com-.jpg

1 x MVP
2 x Finals MVP
2 x THE MAN Champion + 3 x "Sidekick" Champion (not meaningless, but less value/context)
4 x All-Star MVP
1 x Olympic Gold Medalist
13 x All-Star
9 x All-NBA team
9 x All-Defensive team
2nd All-Rookie team

Notable highlight:
Scored 81 points in a game which is the 2nd highest score in NBA history.

Rivals/Competition at his Position:
Reggie Miller
Manu Ginobili
Dwyane Wade
Ray Allen
Monta Ellis

PLAYOFFS STATS:
Rebounds:......5.1
Assists:..........4.8
Blocks:...........0.7
Steals:...........1.7
PER:............22.3 (#20 all-time)

Best Playoff run of at least 2 rounds, 2008-09:
30 ppg @ 46% FG
5 rpg
6 apg
1 bpg
2 spg

SEASON STATS:
Rebounds:......5.3
Assists:..........4.7
Blocks:...........0.5
Steals:...........1.5
PER:............23.5 (#17 all-time)

Best season 2005-06:
35 ppg @ 45% FG
5 rpg
5 apg
0 bpg
1 spg
PER - 28.0

Legends66NBA7
10-20-2011, 08:22 PM
I would list both Hakeem and Kobe's rivals at their positions.

millwad
10-20-2011, 08:25 PM
This battle shouldn't be about 10th all-time. Oscar Robertson is below them both, no doubt. And I wouldn't rank Duncan or Wilt ahead of Hakeem either.

pauk
10-20-2011, 08:26 PM

good idea... gona work on that

Heavincent
10-20-2011, 08:26 PM
Kobe is tied for #7 on my list. Just saying. Don't say "battle for #10" like he has no case for being any higher.

Deuce Bigalow
10-20-2011, 08:28 PM
Oscar Robertson has no case over Kobe

creepingdeath
10-20-2011, 08:28 PM
Hakeem is clearly ranked in front of Robertson. It's Oscar versus Kobe for that #10 spot..

Odinn
10-20-2011, 08:30 PM
Oscar Robertson isn't one of top 10 ever. So Hakeem & Kobe, both can be ranked in top 10.

Heavincent
10-20-2011, 08:31 PM
Hakeem is clearly ranked in front of Robertson. It's Oscar versus Kobe for that #10 spot..

Kobe is better than both IMO.

Hakeem is one of my favorite players of all time though.

Deuce Bigalow
10-20-2011, 08:31 PM
Kobe is 7-9 alltime
Hakeem is 10th

pauk
10-20-2011, 08:34 PM

Added 5....

Im not sure about the Kobe rivals at his position.... except for Dwyane Wade...

Its obvious Hakeem Olajuwon had MUCH tougher competition at his Position...

King24
10-20-2011, 08:37 PM
I don't really think Kobe has a case over Hakeem. Hakeem's peak (93-95) was GOAT level. I don't think you can say the same thing for Kobe, though he did have a incredible peak (06-08) himself. Just not quite on the same level.

pauk
10-20-2011, 08:37 PM
Changed the Topic and text a little...

because i dont want this to be a Top 10 debate.... my bad tho..

its about who had a better career between HAKEEM and KOBE

:cheers:

Fatal9
10-20-2011, 08:44 PM
Debate for 10th is between Kobe and Wilt.

millwad
10-20-2011, 08:51 PM

THIS.:cheers:

pauk
10-20-2011, 08:54 PM
THE RIVALS AT HAKEEMS POSITION

For the All-Star spot and 1st All-NBA team spot Hakeem had to beat out these players at his position:

Shaquille Oneal
David Robinson
Patrick Ewing
Dikembe Mutombo
Alonzo Mourning

Some of the best big men of all time!

For the 1st All-Defensive spot Hakeem had to beat out these players at his position:

Dikembe Mutombo
Mark Eaton
David Robinson
Alonzo Mourning

Some of the best defenders of all time!

For his Defensive Player of the Year trophies Hakeem had to beat out these players:

Dennis Rodman
Dikembe Mutombo

Probably the best defenders of all time!

He had to fight of also David Robinson, Michael Jordan, Mark Eaton, Alonzo Mourning, Gary Payton..... those are also some of the best defenders of all time...

THE RIVALS AT KOBES POSITION

For the All-Star spot and 1st All-NBA team spot Kobe had to beat out these players at his position most of the time:

Dwyane Wade
Reggie Miller
Ray Allen
Monta Ellis

Wade was the only competition really...

For the 1st All-Defensive spot Kobe had to beat out these players at his position:

Dwyane Wade
Reggie Miller
Ray Allen
Monta Ellis
Tony Allen?
have no idea...... i know one thing... they sure were not even close to being great defenders any of them... Wade right now is not that super bad defender tho...

sagr32
10-20-2011, 08:58 PM

For the All-Star spot and 1st All-NBA team spot Hakeem had to beat out these players at his position:

Shaquille Oneal
David Robinson
Patrick Ewing
Dikembe Mutombo
Alonzo Mourning

For the 1st All-Defensive spot Hakeem had to beat out these players at his position:

Dikembe Mutombo
Mark Eaton
David Robinson
Alonzo Mourning

For the Defensive Player of the Year Hakeem had to beat out these players:

Dennis Rodman
Dikembe Mutombo

He had to fight of also David Robinson, Michael Jordan, Mark Eaton, Alonzo Mourning, Gary Payton..... those are also some of the best defenders of all time...

For the All-Star spot and 1st All-NBA team spot Kobe had to beat out these players at his position most of the time:

Dwyane Wade
Reggie Miller
Ray Allen
Monta Ellis

For the 1st All-Defensive spot Kobe had to beat out these players at his position:
Dwyane Wade
Reggie Miller
Ray Allen
Monta Ellis
Tony Allen?
have no idea...... i know one thing... they sure were not even close to being great defenders any of them... Wade right now is not that super bad defender tho... Did Iverson and McGrady suddenly disappear from the history books?

pauk
10-20-2011, 09:03 PM
Did Iverson and McGrady suddenly disappear from the history books?

Iverson was a PG... he started of PG... then moved to SG... then PG.. then SG... then officially SG... Iverson was a PG/SG... not like 60/40 or 70/30... it was 50/50 for him...

McGrady started most of his career as a SF....

If you want to count in McGrady as a SG then you might aswell count in Lebron as a SG... drafted PG/SG... started SG/PG and some SF his first years then moved on to PG/SF.... then moved to SF/PF/PG... then moved on to SF mostly or whatever.... most of his career.... he is a SF tho... i think... lol

take a look at this from 2005 http://www.cbssports.com/nba/story/8838445

millwad
10-20-2011, 09:04 PM

Shaquille Oneal
David Robinson
Patrick Ewing
Dikembe Mutombo
Alonzo Mourning

Dikembe Mutombo
Mark Eaton
David Robinson
Alonzo Mourning

For the Defensive Player of the Year Hakeem had to beat out these players:

Dennis Rodman
Dikembe Mutombo

You forgot Moses Malone who put up 5 seasons of 20-10 play AFTER Hakeem joined the league and he was also voted an all-star 5 times after Hakeem joined the league. He also made 2 All-NBA teams during that period.

You also forgot Robert Parish who made 5 all-star teams after Hakeem joined the league and had plenty of 15-10 seasons after that period. He also made 1 ALL-NBA team.

You also forgot Kareem who made the All-star team 5 times after Hakeem joined the league and he also made 2 All-NBA teams during that period.

Miller for 3
10-20-2011, 09:08 PM

Shaquille Oneal
David Robinson
Patrick Ewing
Dikembe Mutombo
Alonzo Mourning

Dikembe Mutombo
Mark Eaton
David Robinson
Alonzo Mourning

For his Defensive Player of the Year trophies Hakeem had to beat out these players:

Dennis Rodman
Dikembe Mutombo

Dwyane Wade
Reggie Miller
Ray Allen
Monta Ellis

Dwyane Wade
Reggie Miller
Ray Allen
Monta Ellis
Tony Allen?
have no idea...... i know one thing... they sure were not even close to being great defenders any of them... Wade right now is not that super bad defender tho...

You r missing Roy, Arenas, Iverson, Tmac, Carter, Jordan and Manu from the All NBA competition

you rmissing Jones, Jordan, Sefolosa,and Battier from the defender list

EnoughSaid
10-20-2011, 09:25 PM
Hakeem no doubt. Did you see how weak his cast was when he won the title? Plus all time leader in blocks, dominant, excellent defender etc...

Big#50
10-20-2011, 09:26 PM
KAJ
MJ
TIM
Shaq
BIRD
Hakeem
Magic
Kobe
9th and 10th are hard.

eliteballer
10-20-2011, 09:28 PM
As if YOU saying its the battle for #10 all time somehow makes it definitive that either of them have to be in the 10 spot:rolleyes:

Doctor Rivers
10-20-2011, 09:54 PM
Hakeem no doubt. Did you see how weak his cast was when he won the title? Plus all time leader in blocks, dominant, excellent defender etc...

'nuff said

Legends66NBA7
10-20-2011, 10:02 PM
You forgot Moses Malone who put up 5 seasons of 20-10 play AFTER Hakeem joined the league and he was also voted an all-star 5 times after Hakeem joined the league. He also made 2 All-NBA teams during that period.

You also forgot Robert Parish who made 5 all-star teams after Hakeem joined the league and had plenty of 15-10 seasons after that period. He also made 1 ALL-NBA team.

You also forgot Kareem who made the All-star team 5 times after Hakeem joined the league and he also made 2 All-NBA teams during that period.

I was going to tell Pauk to add the same 3.

I would also add Brad Daugherty, before his back gave out, was a 20/10 player.

Vienceslav
10-20-2011, 10:35 PM
I think we are going to need a federal mediator on this one.
Also Kobe and Lebron are rivals there is a rap song about it.:roll: :roll: :roll:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hYkscumrBcc&feature=related

Round Mound
10-21-2011, 12:00 AM
Hakeem was a Better Player than Kobe

In his prime its not even debatable

Jacks3
10-21-2011, 12:02 AM
Kobe>>Barkley

Deuce Bigalow
10-21-2011, 12:03 AM
Hakeem was a Better Player than Kobe

In his prime its not even debatable

http://shechive.files.wordpress.com/2010/05/1272348532_original-lol.gif

with malice
10-21-2011, 03:12 AM
Kobe is tied for #7 on my list. Just saying. Don't say "battle for #10" like he has no case for being any higher.
Agreed, this is merely an attempt to troll, albeit in a sneaky way.

jlauber
10-21-2011, 04:13 AM

In which case...players like Kareem, Bird, and Hakeem would be on the outside of the Top-10, and looking in.
:facepalm

Hakeem has NO case over Wilt...and in fact, he was a BORDERLINE Top-10 player. Hell, the man was seldom regarded as even a Top-4 player in HIS era.

ONE MVP, and that came in a season in which the REAL best player took the year off. One other SECOND place finish. And only TWO more FOURTH place finishes...in EIGHTEEN seasons. The man was not even considered a Top-TEN player, in his OWN era, in HALF of those EIGHTEEN seasons.

The more I study Hakeem's career, the WORSE it gets. The only "great" to "lead" his teams to EIGHT FIRST ROUND EXITS (and in 15 post-seasons...or over HALF the time.)

Moses was more dominant at his peak, and had a 3-1 edge in MVPs. His best seasons were FAR stronger than Hakeem's best. And he outplayed a considerably younger Kareem, in a more dominant fashion, too. And he never allowed Kareem to average 33 ppg and on a mind-boggling .634 shooting, covering FIVE H2H games, either (and Kareem was 38 at the time!)

Hell, an OLD Wilt reduced a PRIME Kareem to a .464 shooter in their 28 H2H games (and fortunately for Kareem, he NEVER faced a PRIME Wilt), while an OLD Kareem shot .599 against Hakeem in their 22 H2H encounters...and at ages 38 thru 41.

nayte
10-21-2011, 05:20 AM
Im not a big fan of these types of debates..but i will go as far as...I would draft Hakeem before Bryant..if they were both in the same draft class....hmm like someone else hakeem got drafted over..ha

millwad
10-21-2011, 05:33 AM
The more I study Hakeem's career, the WORSE it gets. The only "great" to "lead" his teams to EIGHT FIRST ROUND EXITS (and in 15 post-seasons...or over HALF the time.)

The only time you've "seen" Hakeem play is on basketball-reference, you old fart. Your comments regarding his games and some of his match-ups may be the most retarded ever, you live in your little bubble where Wilt is the greatest at everything with your pathetic "MY GOD"-bs while your analyzing skills regarding Hakeem is worse than a kid's. You even wrote that there's not much difference between rookie and 2nd year pro Olajuwon compared to his prime.. :facepalm

Go watch the games, you only bring up stats but you have not even once break down any of the games you've commented...:facepalm

"Research"..:facepalm

creepingdeath
10-21-2011, 07:25 AM
Kobe is better than both IMO.

Hakeem is one of my favorite players of all time though.
I'll give you Oscar, but I disagree with Hakeem. Anyhow, I think the top 8 (Jordan, Russel, KAJ, Bird, Magic, Shaq, Wilt, Duncan) is kind of set in stone, and neither of those guys should be in there, at least if we'd assume that Kobe's career would end right at this moment.

RRR3
10-21-2011, 07:40 AM
Goddamit, I'm beginning to see why jlauber rants so much. The Wilt hate on this board is insane! Shit, there is no way Kobe is anywhere remotely close to Wilt ****ING Chamberlain. Period. And LOL @ that one guy leaving Wilt off his list completely. :roll: :roll: :roll:

millwad
10-21-2011, 07:43 AM
Goddamit, I'm beginning to see why jlauber rants so much. The Wilt hate on this board is insane! Shit, there is no way Kobe is anywhere remotely close to Wilt ****ING Chamberlain. Period. And LOL @ that one guy leaving Wilt off his list completely. :roll: :roll: :roll:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ITxDdnzpnU8

RRR3
10-21-2011, 07:46 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ITxDdnzpnU8
:violin: :sleeping

nayte
10-21-2011, 07:56 AM
Ha ..agendas , agendas and god damned agendas...

oolalaa
10-21-2011, 11:30 AM
I agree pauk, they are close, but ultimately there is a clear edge for kobe:

9. West
10. Bryant
11. Olajuwon
12. Robertson

Hakeem has become a little overrated in the last few years. People forget that there were legitimate concerns about hakeems leadership and ability to raise his teammates level of play (i admit, he had some pretty mediocre teammates) in the late 80s/early 90s. That's what happens when you get knocked out of the first round 4 years in a row.

I also can't shake the fact that he won his 2 rings with the goat out of the league. How many rings would barkley/malone/drexler have if jordan took his 2 years off a couple years earlier or later?

with malice
10-21-2011, 11:34 AM
I also can't shake the fact that he won his 2 rings with the goat out of the league. How many rings would barkley/malone/drexler have if jordan took his 2 years off a couple years earlier or later?
Yet you'll be fine with LeBron winning 'em if they come alongside Wade and Bosh... right?

Dragonyeuw
10-21-2011, 11:39 AM
Hakeem is a bit of an odd case in terms of his career ranking. His peak from 93-95 isn't long, but his level of play was extraordinary in that short window. From 84 to 92, he didn't really separate himself from Ewing and David Robinson( and then of course Shaq entered the picture). In fact prior to 1993, I imagine many people would have placed him lower than Ewing/Robinson. David Robinson's own legacy was probably ruined by Hakeem destroying him in the 95 playoffs. I think he'd be even more highly regarded if not for that.

Unfortunately for Hakeem, people are always going to place an asterisk to those years because Jordan was off swinging at( and mostly missing) baseballs. But I believe those mid 90's Rockets teams, especially the 95 team, would have been a handful for the Bulls, especially coming off a 3peat.

For one season, I'd pick Hakeem at his 94/95 level over Kobe at his best level( 02-03, 05-06,07-08) but Kobe's definitely had the better overall career and when it's all said and done, their GOAT rankings should reflect that.

with malice
10-21-2011, 11:43 AM
For one season, I'd pick Hakeem at his 94/95 level over Kobe at his best level( 02-03, 05-06,07-08) but Kobe's definitely had the better overall career and when it's all said and done, their GOAT rankings should reflect that.
Succinctly put.

It's kind of a pity that Kobe's best statistical season came with his worst team around him. Or... maybe it was because of that.

Duncan21formvp
10-21-2011, 11:58 AM
Wait what? I actually have Wilt 8th and Kobe 9th.

EricForman
10-21-2011, 12:03 PM
sorry i'm not too familiar with the rules for this... does this mean whoever loses this is ranked outside of the top ten? i feel like both Kobe and Hakeem should be top 10. i'd have a hard time naming 9 guys better than BOTH of them.

Dragonyeuw
10-21-2011, 12:04 PM
Succinctly put.

It's kind of a pity that Kobe's best statistical season came with his worst team around him. Or... maybe it was because of that.

I assume you're referring to the 06 season? Personally, I think Kobe's 2003 season across the board was better. Scoring average aside, he shot a career high in 3's, put up 5.9 assists( second highest average for career), and career high in steals and rebounds. He wasn't at the level of leadership he displayed in 08 and beyond, but I believe his athleticism/physical peak and skills were perfectly in sync in 2003.

Dizzle-2k7
10-21-2011, 12:10 PM
And I wouldn't rank Duncan or Wilt ahead of Hakeem either.

:facepalm

oolalaa
10-21-2011, 12:13 PM
Yet you'll be fine with LeBron winning 'em if they come alongside Wade and Bosh... right?

:wtf:

when...did...i...say...that..? :confusedshrug:

and what does that have to do with anything anyway?

guy
10-21-2011, 12:36 PM
Hakeem has NO case over Wilt...and in fact, he was a BORDERLINE Top-10 player. Hell, the man was seldom regarded as even a Top-4 player in HIS era.

I don't really think that matters much. Much of Hakeem's career was with 4 other top 10 players of all-time (Bird, Magic, Jordan, Shaq), 2 other top 15-20players of all-time (Barkley, Malone), and then 5 other players you can argue for top 20-30 players of all-time (Robinson, Ewing, Drexler, Pippen, Stockton). Even with that being the case I don't think there's any argument for him not being the 2nd best player overall of the time period of his career (85-02).

Dragonyeuw
10-21-2011, 03:38 PM
I don't really think that matters much. Much of Hakeem's career was with 4 other top 10 players of all-time (Bird, Magic, Jordan, Shaq), 2 other top 15-20players of all-time (Barkley, Malone), and then 5 other players you can argue for top 20-30 players of all-time (Robinson, Ewing, Drexler, Pippen, Stockton). Even with that being the case I don't think there's any argument for him not being the 2nd best player overall of the time period of his career (85-02).

And one can argue that his peak( during the Rockets 3peat) was every bit as dominant as guys like Jordan, Magic, Bird. If you took what Hakeem did between 93 and 95 and projected that level over 10 years, that's an easy top 5 player. The case against him being in the top 5, and in the 8-12 range, is because THAT level of play was only for a short time window.

guy
10-21-2011, 03:45 PM
And one can argue that his peak( during the Rockets 3peat) was every bit as dominant as guys like Jordan, Magic, Bird. If you took what Hakeem did between 93 and 95 and projected that level over 10 years, that's an easy top 5 player. The case against him being in the top 5, and in the 8-12 range, is because THAT level of play was only for a short time window.

Right. By the way I completely forgot about Isiah as well who would be in that 20-30 range.

NugzHeat3
10-21-2011, 03:59 PM
I'm critical of Hakeem's career outside of 1993-95 as well.

But to be fair, he showed the ability to win early in his career when he dismantled the Lakers in 1986 and caught everybody's attention. That series transformed him into a true superstar and he played well against the Celtics as well. Not his fault for that loss at all. Sampson couldn't guard McHale and rattled under pressure @ the Garden. The Celtics also played pressure defense and forced turnovers with their traps. Bird was playing free safety.

They were also without John Lucas, their starting PG who was suspended for coke halfway into the season.

Then Ralph got injured, Lloyd and Wiggins were suspended and that team broke apart. That is the time where Hakeem's weaknesses were a bit more glaring because he wasn't a leader and he didn't trust his teammates (unwillingess to pass). He was also a hot tempered guy, even knocked his teammate out in practice because he was accused of snorting coke. So, at this point, you have a extremely talented superstar but not quite in the same mold as a Jordan, Bird or Magic because he doesn't have some of their qualities.

He still had a few great playoff performances like his series with the Mavs in 1988 and Seattle in 1987 but for the most part, 1987-1992 is a blemish on his career relative to the ELITES of the game.

So how do you interpret that stretch?

Is Olajuwon talented enough to win in the 1980s despite the leadership issues? I think that depends on who you ask.

I think so because he clearly showed the ability to do so in 1986. I feel his talent can get you through even if he's not a leader. If he didn't, then I would buy the claims.

I also wish Houston wasn't blatantly robbed in 1993. That's a robbery if I ever saw one.

Da_Realist
10-21-2011, 04:19 PM
I'm critical of Hakeem's career outside of 1993-95 as well.

But to be fair, he showed the ability to win early in his career when he dismantled the Lakers in 1986 and caught everybody's attention. That series transformed him into a true superstar and he played well against the Celtics as well. Not his fault for that loss at all. Sampson couldn't guard McHale and rattled under pressure @ the Garden. The Celtics also played pressure defense and forced turnovers with their traps. Bird was playing free safety.

They were also without John Lucas, their starting PG who was suspended for coke halfway into the season.

Then Ralph got injured, Lloyd and Wiggins were suspended and that team broke apart. That is the time where Hakeem's weaknesses were a bit more glaring because he wasn't a leader and he didn't trust his teammates (unwillingess to pass). He was also a hot tempered guy, even knocked his teammate out in practice because he was accused of snorting coke. So, at this point, you have a extremely talented superstar but not quite in the same mold as a Jordan, Bird or Magic because he doesn't have some of their qualities.

He still had a few great playoff performances like his series with the Mavs in 1988 and Seattle in 1987 but for the most part, 1987-1992 is a blemish on his career relative to the ELITES of the game.

Is Olajuwon talented enough to win in the 1980s despite the leadership issues? I think that depends on who you ask.

I think so because he clearly showed the ability to do so in 1986. I feel his talent can get you through even if he's not a leader. If he didn't, then I would buy the claims.

I also wish Houston wasn't blatantly robbed in 1993. That's a robbery if I ever saw one.

Yeah, but I give him a little bit of a pass because he didn't pick up a basketball until he was 15 years old. Lebron was already playing in the NBA at that age! :oldlol:

Seriously, though. Maybe his career wasn't A++ from start to finish but his prime sure was.

NugzHeat3
10-21-2011, 04:27 PM
Yeah, but I give him a little bit of a pass because he didn't pick up a basketball until he was 15 years old. Lebron was already playing in the NBA at that age! :oldlol:

Seriously, though. Maybe his career wasn't A++ from start to finish but his prime sure was.
Good point about the age. It probably explains why his ability to read defenses wasn't top notch early on. Its something that improves with experience. Tom Heinsohn in that 1987 Seattle vs Houston series brought up his passing as a weakness on several occasions. I think it had more to do with an unwilligness to pass than inability though.

I agree about his prime. Hakeem in that three year stretch is flat-out amazing. Flawless. I wish we had more games of his from those years. I know you have some playoff games up but there's still a lot of games missing.

Da_Realist
10-21-2011, 05:08 PM
Good point about the age. It probably explains why his ability to read defenses wasn't top notch early on. Its something that improves with experience. Tom Heinsohn in that 1987 Seattle vs Houston series brought up his passing as a weakness on several occasions. I think it had more to do with an unwilligness to pass than inability though.

I agree about his prime. Hakeem in that three year stretch is flat-out amazing. Flawless. I wish we had more games of his from those years. I know you have some playoff games up but there's still a lot of games missing.

Trust is sometimes harder than work. I know a little something about that. I'm trying to learn a 2nd language and I've been working at it since 2007. Hard. Twice a week classes, doing homework, reading novels, etc. Working my ass off. And I just realized this year what I'm doing wrong, even though people have been telling me over and over and over the same damn message. Listen. That's it. Sit down and listen every day until I understand. Watch the news, soap operas...anything. In other words, TRUST that my mind will catch on. That was harder for me to do than the work I put in for almost 5 years!

So I realized 2 things...

1) Those 5 years were a waste of time (because no one EVER has learned a language through classwork and books). And

2) Those 5 years were NOT a waste of time (it was needed to show me what I was doing wrong).

Now I watch the news in french every night with no problem and several other shows (soaps give me problems due to the slang but hey...).

ANYWAY, the point of it all is...I give guys like Olajuwon a little slack. Hakeem picked up a basketball and immediately started banging Moses Malone in those hot Houston summers trying to get better. He put in the work. Every year he got better. From novice at 15 to best player in the world. His desire and work ethic was never questioned. It was just hard for him to trust the other players when they had drug problems, were lazy, selfish or just flat out sucked. It's hard to trust the system when you have a new coach every other year. So a guy that talented with that much work ethic...it was harder for him to trust than it was for him to put in work. I almost don't blame him. Look at all the crackheads on that roster during his "dead years".

But he eventually did learn to trust and we saw what happened.

NugzHeat3
10-21-2011, 05:40 PM
Trust is sometimes harder than work. I know a little something about that. I'm trying to learn a 2nd language and I've been working at it since 2007. Hard. Twice a week classes, doing homework, reading novels, etc. Working my ass off. And I just realized this year what I'm doing wrong, even though people have been telling me over and over and over the same damn message. Listen. That's it. Sit down and listen every day until I understand. Watch the news, soap operas...anything. In other words, TRUST that my mind will catch on. That was harder for me to do than the work I put in for almost 5 years!

So I realized 2 things...

1) Those 5 years were a waste of time (because no one EVER has learned a language through classwork and books). And

2) Those 5 years were NOT a waste of time (it was needed to show me what I was doing wrong).

Now I watch the news in french every night with no problem and several other shows (soaps give me problems due to the slang but hey...).

ANYWAY, the point of it all is...I give guys like Olajuwon a little slack. Hakeem picked up a basketball and immediately started banging Moses Malone in those hot Houston summers trying to get better. He put in the work. Every year he got better. From novice at 15 to best player in the world. His desire and work ethic was never questioned. It was just hard for him to trust the other players when they had drug problems, were lazy, selfish or just flat out sucked. It's hard to trust the system when you have a new coach every other year. So a guy that talented with that much work ethic...it was harder for him to trust than it was for him to put in work. I almost don't blame him. Look at all the crackheads on that roster during his "dead years".

But he eventually did learn to trust and we saw what happened.
:oldlol: I liked your analogy but I disagree a bit.

I feel Hakeem is just as much to blame as his teammates and the management.

Their was a time early in 1991 where Hakeem went down with an eye injury and was out for a couple of months. Bill Cartwright at his best.

Everybody was expecting the Rockets to stink it up without Hakeem. But that's not what happened. They flourished and thrived speeding up the game and didn't have to worry about Hakeem demanding the ball anymore. All of a sudden they were one of the hottest teams in the league and Rocket fans even wanted Hakeem traded. You had guys like Kenny Smith and Otis Thorpe winning player of the week (IIRC). Hell, Smith even got a 3rd place MVP vote.

Hakeem came back and he adjusted and became more of a defensive stopper. In the end, it didn't work out (swept by LA in the first round) because you weren't going to win with those perimeter players as the focal point. Hakeem HAD to be the focal point to win and only Rudy T was able to convince him to blend in and focus throughout the season which is when he hit his otherwordly peak starting from the 1992-93 season. He also settled his contract issues that year.

So its not that talent was just the problem. The talent was there in 1991. Look at their roster in 1991, 1992 and then 1993 when they won 55. The core is still there besides Robert Horry. But their coach wasn't exactly the smartest tool in the shed and to a lesser extent Hakeem didn't quite play up to the max of his potential.

So I do feel Hakeem deserves some of the blame. I feel they could've done better in some of those early 90s years.

I don't want make it sound like Hakeem sucked in those years or anything. 1991 Hakeem would beast if today's league but when you stick him up against the best of the best, I don't feel he's quite there, more so in the mentality and team game than anything else. Not talent.

Da_Realist
10-21-2011, 05:47 PM
:oldlol: I liked your analogy but I disagree a bit.

I feel Hakeem is just as much to blame as his teammates and the management.

Their was a time early in 1991 where Hakeem went down with an eye injury and was out for a couple of months. Bill Cartwright at his best.

Everybody was expecting the Rockets to stink it up without Hakeem. But that's not what happened. They flourished and thrived speeding up the game and didn't have to worry about Hakeem demanding the ball anymore. All of a sudden they were one of the hottest teams in the league and Rocket fans even wanted Hakeem traded. You had guys like Kenny Smith and Otis Thorpe winning player of the week (IIRC). Hell, Smith even got a 3rd place MVP vote.

Hakeem came back and he adjusted and became more of a defensive stopper. In the end, it didn't work out (swept by LA in the first round) because you weren't going to win with those perimeter players as the focal point. Hakeem HAD to be the focal point to win and only Rudy T was able to convince him to blend in and focus throughout the season which is when he hit his otherwordly peak starting from the 1992-93 season. He also settled his contract issues that year.

So its not that talent was just the problem. The talent was there in 1991. Look at their roster in 1991, 1992 and then 1993 when they won 55. The core is still there besides Robert Horry. But their coach wasn't exactly the smartest tool in the shed and to a lesser extent Hakeem didn't quite play up to the max of his potential.

So I do feel Hakeem deserves some of the blame. I feel they could've done better in some of those early 90s years.

I don't want make it sound like Hakeem sucked in those years or anything. 1991 Hakeem would beast if today's league but when you stick him up against the best of the best, I don't feel he's quite there, more so in the mentality and team game than anything else. Not talent.

You know... you're right about that. I was mostly referring to the late 80's but you made a good point about 1991. That was Don Cheney, I believe. And they did well enough for him to earn Coach of the Year that year, iirc.

NugzHeat3
10-21-2011, 05:51 PM
You know... you're right about that. I was mostly referring to the late 80's but you made a good point about 1991. That was Don Cheney, I believe. And they did well enough for him to earn Coach of the Year that year, iirc.
Chalk one more up for the infamous COY curse. :oldlol:

"Chaney was terrible." The words of every Houston fan I've ever come across.

EDIT: I don't blame Hakeem for the late 80s either since the drop off in talent was pretty big from that finals squad and he didn't have much to work with. I was mostly focusing on the early 90s where I do feel he deserves some flack.

Hondo
10-21-2011, 05:58 PM
Shouldn't Vince Carter, Allen Iverson, Jason Richardson, Michael Finley, Paul Pierce and Tracy McGrady be named as competition for Kobe?

Pierce played a lot of shooting guard in the early to mid 2000's. Monta Ellis??? LOL

Dragonyeuw
10-21-2011, 06:14 PM

He definitely had some great pre 1993-5 moments, but apart from the 86 Finals run, I don't think many people had him over Robinson and Ewing. I think the Admiral was more or less considered the best center by 1992. Hakeem basically set himself apart from the bigmen pack in 1994, and then cemented his status as the best in the league, and his career legacy, in 95. I mean, think of the guys he went through, on the road, in the 95 playoffs: Barkley, Stockton and Malone,David Robinson, Shaq and Penny. All top 10 type talents at that point. Still one of the most impressive feats I've seen in Basketball.

Was he good enough to win in the 80's? Perhaps from a talent perspective, not from a leadership POV as you mentioned. It was really from the early-mid 90's when he put it all together at 32. He effectively peaked at a later point than you'd expect the average player to.

NugzHeat3
10-21-2011, 06:30 PM
He definitely had some great pre 1993-5 moments, but apart from the 86 Finals run, I don't think many people had him over Robinson and Ewing. I think the Admiral was more or less considered the best center by 1992. Hakeem basically set himself apart from the bigmen pack in 1994, and then cemented his status as the best in the league, and his career legacy, in 95. I mean, think of the guys he went through, on the road, in the 95 playoffs: Barkley, Stockton and Malone,David Robinson, Shaq and Penny. All top 10 type talents at that point. Still one of the most impressive feats I've seen in Basketball.

Was he good enough to win in the 80's? Perhaps from a talent perspective, not from a leadership POV as you mentioned. It was really from the early-mid 90's when he put it all together at 32. He effectively peaked at a later point than you'd expect the average player to.
True. Robinson had unreal hype and he definitely was the best center till 1992 before Hakeem made that quantum leap in 1992-93.

There were people who thought he was the best player in the league and this is with Jordan and Magic in their primes. Of course, those people were wrong but that's what they were saying back then.

Robinson always lacked two things. First was lower body strength, people always mention his strength as a positive but that's all upper body mainly biceps. That helped him finish strong around the rim but he wasn't very strong on the lower body. Another thing is he had a higher center of gravity as opposed to Hakeem. Another thing that helps you get deeper position.

Second one just pure heart and will to win. That's why Robinson always made more of a second fiddle. Crumbling under pressure is something that was happening year in and year out for Robinson in the playoffs.

millwad
10-21-2011, 06:30 PM
Chalk one more up for the infamous COY curse. :oldlol:

"Chaney was terrible." The words of every Houston fan I've ever come across.

EDIT: I don't blame Hakeem for the late 80s either since the drop off in talent was pretty big from that finals squad and he didn't have much to work with. I was mostly focusing on the early 90s where I do feel he deserves some flack.

I always like your comments when it comes to Hakeem since you are one of few on this board who actually know what you're talking about.

Regarding the games during the back-to-backs I may be able to help you. My father worked abroad in the early to mid-90's (they don't show Rocket games in Sweden, no NBA games actually:oldlol:) and he became a huge Rocket fan during that time period and I have almost all the games on VHS from the back to backs (playoffs). When I have time I'll try to get them online when I find all of the tapes. I'll inform you then!

Regarding Hakeem and the Rockets in the early 90's before the '93 season.. Those 3 seasons really can't be blamed on Hakeem, sure, in the playoffs of the 90's playoffs he didn't play well but at the same time, no player would win it all with guys like Maxwell, Sleep "chucker" Floyd (hate him) and Otis Thorpe. No star power what so ever beside Hakeem.

In '91 even though earlier injury problems that season Hakeem still played really well in the playoffs but half on that team were scrubs. They played with 9 players in the playoffs and you don't win any playoff games when the name of your bench players are Dave Jamerson, David Wood, Larry Smith (worst FT-shooter ever, haha) and non-prime Sleepy.

In '92 they didn't even make the playoffs even though they had a winning record and yes, I agree that it was an off year for Hakeem but still he didn't have a good enough team to make it far.

And yeah, in '93 they got robbed big time..

Hakeem gets some crap for not being able to take his teams any further in the early 90's but at the same time, people give him that crap because he was able to take a bunch of role players all the way to the title in 94 and in 95 (minus Clyde) and therefor they expected him to do the same in the early 90's as well.

And some people think he just had 2 good years but just if they'd open their eyes they would see how epic some of his playoff performances in the 80's were. If he'd have some decent players at least around him at that time he'd get alot more recognition for his play back then and now.

Jacks3
10-21-2011, 06:33 PM
Kobe>Hakeem.

:pimp: