PDA

View Full Version : Game Of The Year Candidates

crosso√er
10-25-2011, 12:11 AM
It's pretty clear who the front runners are this year, isn't it?
Arkham City, Drake's Deception, Skyward Sword, Skyrim, Modern Warfare 3, Battlefield or Revelations.

I'll update this thread with video trailers and critic scores.
Arkham City is beating Uncharted 3 right with the overall score, but that's somewhat misleading. I decided to accumulate all reviews that is available to date, and compare their scores from sites that gave both of these games an actual score. I actually think it'll be between these two games. I think MW3 will be more of the same; Skyrim will not live to the hype and Revelation is more of an add-on. BF3 isn't well-rounded enough to be GOTY. They have a lousy presentation and an absolutely dead campaign mode. Their niche target gaming market is certainly not enough...(primarily online players).

METACRITIC SCORE:

Uncharted 3 - 92 (PS3)
Batman: Arkham City - 96 (360)
Modern Warfare - 89 (360)
Skyrim - 96 (360)

Uncharted 3 Video Review (http://www.gametrailers.com/video/review-uncharted-3/722907)
Arkham City Video Review (http://www.gametrailers.com/video/review-batman-arkham/722267)
Modern Warfare 3 Video Review (http://www.gametrailers.com/video/review-call-of/723676)
Skyrim Video Review (http://www.gametrailers.com/video/review-elder-scrolls/723800)

These reviews are from publishers who have reviewed all four games.

1UP
U3 - 100
Arkham - 100
MW3 - 91
Skyrim - 91

3DJuegos
U3 - 97
Arkham - 95
MW3 - 86
Skyrim - 96

AusGamers
U3 - 93
Arkham - 97
MW3 - 96
Skyrim - 100

BigPond GameArena
U3 - 95
Arkham - 100
MW3 - 95
SKyrim - 100

Cheat Code Central
U3 - 98
Arkham - 90
MW3 - 88
Skyrim - 90

Computer and Video Games
U3 - 95
Arkham - 95
MW3 - 90
Skyrim - 95

Destructoid
U3 - 100
Arkham - 85
MW3 - 95
Skyrim - 100

Digital Spy
U3 - 100
Arkham - 100
MW3 - 80
Skyrim - 100

Edge Magazine
U3 - 90
Arkham - 90
MW3 - 90
Skyrim - 90

Eurogamer
U3 - 80
Arkham - 90
MW3 - 80
Skyrim - 100

Eurogamer Italy
U3 - 100
Arkham - 100
MW3 - 80
Skyrim - 90

Everyeye.it
U3 - 95
Arkham - 95
MW3 - 90
Skyrim - 90

Game Chronicles
U3 - 100
Arkham - 93
MW3 - 100
Skyrim - 99

Game Informer
U3 - 95
Arkham - 100
MW3 - 90
Skyrim - 95

Gameblog.fr
U3 - 100
Arkham - 100
MW3 - 100
Skyrim - 100

Gamekult
U3 - 80
Arkham - 80
MW3 - 70
Skyrim - 80

GamePro
U3 - 100
Arkham - 100
MW3 - 80
Skyrim - 100

Gamereactor Sweden
U3 - 100
Arkham - 90
MW3 - 80
Skyrim - 100

GameSpot
U3 - 90
Arkham - 90
MW3 - 85
Skyrim - 90

GamesRadar
U3 - 90
Arkham - 100
MW3 - 90
Skyrim - 100

GameTrailers
U3 - 95
Arkham - 93
MW3 - 93
Skyrim - 93

GamingXP
U3 - 95
Arkham - 90
MW3 - 86
Skyrim - 94

Giant Bomb
U3 -100
Arkham - 100
MW3 - 80
Skyrim - 100

Guardian
U3 - 100
Arkham - 100
MW3 - 100
Skyrim - 100

IGN
U3 - 100
Arkham - 95
MW3 - 90
Skyrim - 95

IncGamers
U3 - 100
Arkham - 90
MW3 - 80
Skyrim - 90

JoyStiq
U3 - 90
Arkham - 90
MW3 - 90
Skyrim - 100

Machinima
U3 - 95
Arkham - 95
MW3 - 95
Skyrim - 95

Meristation
U3 - 90
Arkham - 95
MW 3 - 90
Skyrim - 100

Metro GameCentral
U3 - 90
Arkham - 90
MW3 - 90
Skyrim - 90

Multiplayer.it
U3 - 97
Arkham - 93
MW3 - 92
Skyrim - 97

Play UK
U3 - 90
Arkham - 94
MW3 - 88
Skyrim - 93

Playstation Universe
U3 - 95
Arkham - 95
MW3 - 90
Skyrim - 95

PSX Extreme
U3 - 100
Arkham - 95
MW3 - 90
Skyrim - 97

SpazioGames
U3 - 93
Arkham - 94
MW3 - 91
Skyrim - 96

Vandal Online
U3 - 96
Arkham - 93
MW3 - 90
Skyrim - 98

Videogameszone.de
U3 - 93
Arkham - 92
MW3 - 91
Skyrim - 90

VideoGamer
U3 - 90
Arkham - 100
MW3 - 90
Skyrim - 90

OVERALL

Uncharted 3 --> 94.92%
Arkham City --> 94.32%
Modern Warfare 3 --> 91.37%
Skyrim --> 95.24%

GOLD STAR

Uncharted 3 - 27
Skyrim - 23
Arkham City 20
Modern Warfare 3 - 6

UPDATED NOV 11, 2011

macmac
10-25-2011, 12:53 AM
Game of the Year will be Skyrim...

but U3 can get runner up if you want

Bucket_Nakedz
10-25-2011, 02:40 AM
^ Goty will have sky in its title. but not the one you fink...

bdreason
10-25-2011, 02:43 AM
Uncharted takes the crown again in my opinion.

Walker
10-25-2011, 02:48 AM
lol like there's any competion in a year where an Elder Scrolls is being released.
There's only one game that wins in these years, look at the history.

Qwyjibo
10-25-2011, 03:04 AM
Did people actually like Oblivion? I'm surprised by this incredible confidence everyone has in Skyrim.

I found Oblivion to be completely unplayable until about a year after its release when it modders fixed almost everything that was wrong with the game out of the box.

bdreason
10-25-2011, 03:14 AM
I personally think the entire Elder Scrolls series is mad overrated.

Skyrim looks like a good game, but the combat and movement mechanics in Elder Scrolls has always felt clunky to me, and it doesn't look much different in the videos I've seen of Skyrim.

Keep in mind I can't stand first person perspective, and Elder Scrolls seems to always optimize their games around that perspective.

What's funny is I was watching an interview of one of the developers during a demo of Skyrim, and the interviewer asked one thing that was most surprising so far, and the dev replied something like, "I'm surprised the number of people that are choosing to play in 3rd person view".

chains5000
10-25-2011, 08:31 AM
Did people actually like Oblivion? I'm surprised by this incredible confidence everyone has in Skyrim.

I found Oblivion to be completely unplayable until about a year after its release when it modders fixed almost everything that was wrong with the game out of the box.
First game I bought for Xbox, didn't play more than 20 hours. Have tried to play again but I just can't enjoy it.

rhythmic
10-25-2011, 01:42 PM
Game of the Year will be Skyrim...

but U3 can get runner up if you want

I don't get why people are hyping this game so much.
Oblivion was a great game, but it did not receive as much recognition as Uncharted 2 did. Bathesda does not compare to Naughty Dog; and honestly question anyone who disagrees with this. What was so special about Oblivion? Naughty Dog has received more awards for a "linear game" than any other production company in gaming history. Heck, they received as much recognition as any game, period. Uncharted 2 has sold over 8 million copies now, name me another adventure game that has had this much success? U2's drop price has been the slowest in gaming history because their revenue is still soaring to this date.

What exactly has Oblivion achieved in restrospect for us to conclude that Skyrim should run away with it? Uncharted 3 received hype because of its development team; they have never disappointed. Not too sure if the same can be said for Bathesda. Based on the initial reviews, it seems like (once again) Naughty Dog has created an exquisite game. I am not an RPG fan, but at least games like Mass Effect 2 convinced me to play it once. The only advantage Skyrim has over Uncharted is its genre. I am not saying it can not surpass in substance, I just doubt it.

People are naturally more hyped up about first-person shooters or RPG then they are about linear-adventure games; just like Battlefield, I think you guy will be disappointed. A great game is a great game. Well, to be fair; maybe you guys already expected a ton of glitches, below-average campaign mode and terrible presentation from BF3...

Naughty has revolutionized this preferantial mind-set before and I think will do it again this year. I'll save the "told you so" speech for later. I honestly think it's between Uncharted 3 & Arkham City myself.

Skyrim is the only game that has more potential, in my opinion.

Clippersfan86
10-25-2011, 02:07 PM
Pretty clear cut to me. Uncharted 3 and Batman will win most GOTY votes with Skyrim being a true Dark Horse threat to the crown. I know personally Skyrim is going to be my favorite game of the year. I mean the Bethesda Studio games in recent years give you 200+ hours of gameplay with side quests and this game is supposed to be bigger and better in every way than Oblivion.

I saw some video of the environments and it was so stunning I almost fell off my chair. Just watching the lake... with fish swimming and bears looking for fish etc. It's one of the most mind absorbing games imaginable. The game is going to be a serious Dark Horse as I said.

I'm probably going to get Skyrim opening night which I very rarely do. I just hope it's a tiny bit more structured but doubt it will be. The one thing I don't like about these games is they are so wide open there is no way to tell if you're doing things "wrong" etc. Like if I needed to find an item for a quest right? Accidentally start a different quest because it's not linear or guided.. then later on can't finish that quest etc.

Basically it's hard to know what to do at times.

Maniak
10-25-2011, 07:35 PM
I think it will be Skyrim.

Oh, and if you play it on console, :roll:

Heavincent
10-25-2011, 08:13 PM
Gears 3 and it ain't even close.

code green
10-25-2011, 09:55 PM
^ Goty will have sky in its title. but not the one you fink...

This.

Not saying it's going to happen, nor should it win automatically....but you can't decide GoTY without factoring in Skyward Sword first.

Walker
10-25-2011, 10:21 PM
[QUOTE=rhythmic

macmac
10-26-2011, 02:28 AM
I'm on the iPhone so I won't respond fully, but el oh fukkin el at comparing a fps like battlefield 3 to the scope of Skyrim. No, you can't blame the hype on the genre, because there is no other game that comes close to it's magnitude...having never played oblivion, morrowind or daggerfall, I don't feel like you're in any position to write such a lengthy opinionated piece...

I loove uncharted, and I'm currently playing batman every day I have some time off...but as perfect as uncharted can possibly be, it still cant compare with the freedom and creative stimulation of ES V

Qwyjibo
10-26-2011, 11:37 AM
Scope and freedom are all nice but until you experience the core gameplay, it doesn't mean much. Oblivion was huge and looked great. I was so excited to get into this world and discover all it had to offer. Then I started playing it. The level scaling system was possibly the dumbest idea put into a high-profile modern game I've ever experienced. This one gameplay choice basically ruined the game for me until modders were finally able to fix it. Then you had all the stiff and lifeless interactions between characters and reusing of many levels right until the end of the game. It was a great looking shell with nothing inside.

I'm definitely looking forward to Skyrim but I'm not going to get my expectations too high after the void of fun that was Oblivion.

Skywalker
10-26-2011, 07:00 PM
Skyward Sword

Kungfro
10-26-2011, 07:34 PM
I think Portal 2 deserves a mention, I had a lot of fun with it.

pete's montreux
10-26-2011, 07:46 PM
Another notch for Portal 2, Dead Space 2 was also f*cking fantastic.

KeylessEntry
10-26-2011, 07:54 PM
As far as the Bethesda RPGs go I think Fallout 3 set the bar. Vastly superior to Oblivion imo.

Thorpesaurous
10-26-2011, 10:37 PM
Another notch for Portal 2, Dead Space 2 was also f*cking fantastic.

Yeah, I'd be upset if Dead Space 2 was GOTY, because it would mean a bunch of other stuff would have to disappoint, but it was definitely cool enough to warrant a mention as something that may be forgotten because it came out so early in the year.

rhythmic
10-26-2011, 11:32 PM
I'm on the iPhone so I won't respond fully, but el oh fukkin el at comparing a fps like battlefield 3 to the scope of Skyrim. No, you can't blame the hype on the genre, because there is no other game that comes close to it's magnitude...having never played oblivion, morrowind or daggerfall, I don't feel like you're in any position to write such a lengthy opinionated piece...

I loove uncharted, and I'm currently playing batman every day I have some time off...but as perfect as uncharted can possibly be, it still cant compare with the freedom and creative stimulation of ES V

It's the sheer arrogance in your original post that made me incline to reply to you. I don't have a problem with you claiming Skyrim will win game of the year, I just have a problem with how you've dismissed other titles.

You claim I'm in no position to make such a lenghty opinion, and what exactly gives you the right? I own Marrowind, Oblivion & Fallout 3; the only game I played longer then 10 hours is Fallout. Right now they are collecting dust sitting on my shelves. What exactly makes Skyrim the front-runner? Because you like RPG's? Because of its magnitude & content? Who cares...

I have no interest in role playing games; they took way too long and I don't have the time or patience to put in 200+ hours. I sporadically play video games, so I prefer to finish a game within a week; otherwise I get bored. This mind-set is exactly what's wrong with your post. Gamers have different preferences and just because a certain game is large in magnitude, has a lot of content and is beautifully cratfed, doesn't make it automatically superior to a game who is shorter in length. Just ask Uncharted 2, a game much shorter but has received much more accolades from the gaming industry then anything Bathesda has produced. You act like just because Skyrim fits your preference, you're entitled to make arrogant statements.

I have only finished Fable and Mass Effect 2, as far as RPGs go. If Bathesda were such an innovative company and are market leader; they would have made a flawless RPG game (something they specialize in, clearly). I have yet to be really hooked to any of their products. I don't care about sales either; since a pretty average first person shooter with an online option would outsell Uncharted 2. There is a much greater market for RPGs and first-person shooters; and sales volume doesn't translate into game of the year honours. MW2 sold more copies then U2 (about five times more) and didn't win GOTY.

Which is why your logic is flawed. It's perfectly okay for you to choose Skyrim as your the GOTY, but don't be so arrogant. Especially when you make claims such as "their scope & graphics alone separates them from the rest." :rolleyes:

Last I checked Uncharted has been recognized as the most profoundly beautiful game when it comes to graphics & detail. Uncharted 2 won GOTY in 2009, so dismissing Uncharted 3 is a big mistake on your part. Heck right now, both Uncharted 2 & 3 are more critically acclaimed then any game Bathesda produced, ever.

You guys just seem to express your opinion based on your preference, displaying bias rather then objectivity.

Bathesda is not better then Naughty Dog nor Rockstar. Both have atleast two titles that are better then anything Bathesda has introduced to the market. How did their latest project work out for them? Rage was hyped up and turned out nothing more then a beautiful looking game. Look, I am not saying Bethesda isn't a respected developing crew; in fact, they are very accomplished. Me saying Naughty Dog produces better games (in my opinion), isn't a detriment to Bathesda's reputation.

Oblivion, Marrowind & Fallout 3 are very popular RPG games, but they are not the best RPGs out there, IMO. Uncharted 2 is a very popular game, that is considered by everyone the best linear adventure-action title on the market by a significant margin. Naughty Dog produced an outlier to the market and are five days away from releasing a game that could very well beat its predecessor. By an outlier I mean a linear game that has transitioned gamers minds. Look at all the greatest games ever created, how many of them are anything other then an RPG, sandbox-type or 1st-person shooters? Not many, besides Uncharted 2. ;) For you to dismiss Uncharted 3, is the reason I replied (or Arkham Asylum, a game that has scored better reviews then any games Bethsda has ever released). Naughty Dog change a lot of gamers perception about linear games; I don't know too many people that have played Uncharted and did not enjoy it. I know a lot of people who have bought Bathesda's products and were disappointed. Yes their games are beautiful, large and feature a lot of content; but their gameplay suffers. In particular Oblivion.

Great games are great games, dismiss your preference and bias; and maybe you'll feel more enlighted. Or perhaps you were being semi-sarcastic and just boosted Skyrim's stock a little. Who knows...

EnoughSaid
10-26-2011, 11:39 PM
Are we serious here? Uncharted 3 = Best graphics, best soundtrack, best action game, best story, sick controls and nice multiplayer. NOTHING competes with that.

sawyersauce
10-27-2011, 12:22 AM
Two early reviews are out for Skyward Sword.

Ones a 10 out of 10 - from Edge. And the other 98% which is the equal highest score the publication has ever given (Ocarina of Time being the other) - from Official Nintendo Magazine.

2 reviews is hardly a reason to get excited. But I wouldn't be surprised if it shot out to be a runaway favourite.

Also is it just me or does every single decent game from this generation get a consensus score above 9? Getting an 8 or 7 is actually an average or below average grade. Seems like their should be a greater spread.

Bucket_Nakedz
10-27-2011, 02:40 AM
Damn. I cant believe the op didnt edit to include skyward sword.

This year is ending strong for video games. Im currently playing arkham city and dark souls but i dont see how i will have time finishing the other triple aa titles by the end of the year.

It seems ill be on dark souls for a while so skyrim will have to wait and once im done with arkham city, ill be jumping into uncharted 3. Then, I should be done with uncharted 3 once skyward sword is release.

This happens every year for me... I hibernate and play no games (get burnt out from the previous year) for the first six months and then BOOM! I play til my eyes bleed.

Walker
10-27-2011, 04:12 AM
[QUOTE=rhythmic

donald_trump
10-27-2011, 04:26 AM
We can be cocky about Skyrim's game of the year chances because, regardless of you "opinion" it is FAR AND AWAY the best game to be released this year.

its not even out yet...

jesus christ. :roll:

people getting mad over video games. :oldlol: wait until you play it, okay?

Skywalker
10-27-2011, 12:19 PM
lmao that dude wants to lick skyrim's developers ass or something pathetic

Walker
10-27-2011, 02:35 PM
lmao that dude wants to lick skyrim's developers ass or something pathetic
Thanks for that brilliant addition to the discussion. Go back to the kiddie table now, the adults are talking....

rhythmic
10-27-2011, 03:08 PM
Dear Walker,

1) I enjoy the Uncharted series more then anything Bathesda has released by a considerable margin that is a fact. I do not like role playing games either, that is also a fact. No where did I displayed bias, that is also a fact. Me liking Uncharted more, has no bearing on which game is going to win GOTY. It is out of my hands, having preference doesn't equate bias. No where in this thread did I say "Uncharted 3 will win GOTY, Skyrim can take second...". You see the difference? I have never displayed arrogance nor have I concluded that Uncharted 3 will win GOTY because it is a cinematic masterpiece, best graphics & epic set-pieces. All I seen in this thread is macmac and you (to a certain extent), make conclusions as to why Skyrim will win. Those conclusions are flawed.

2) To make a reliable and relevant conclusion, you must have information that has feedback and/or predictive value. Uncharted 2 is a more critically acclaimed game then anything Bathesda has produced. Check out megacritic or gamerankings for proof. Check out the user ratings, for proof. Uncharted 2 is the 2nd highest rated game on PS3 (behind only GTA 4) and is the 5th highest rated game only behind GTA 4, Ocarina of Time, Mario Galaxy 1 & 2. Fallout 3 is the highest rated from Bathesda, they are not even in the top ten. How's that for feedback? Naughty Dog have constructed a galary just so they can display all of their (40+) awards they received for Uncharted 2; including best graphics, best story & best characterization.

3) You're not an asshole, you're just ignorant. Uncharted 2 is more critically acclaimed then both Fallout 3 & Oblivion, or any other game Bathesda has ever produced. That is a fact, go review the scores each of those games received in their respective years. Although I agree, GOTY is rather a subjective topic; however, Uncharted 2 was head & shoulders above the rest in 09'. Ignoring all the awards they received in 2009; go find me a game that has received higher scores then Uncharted 2. Some of the best and more popular titles like Modern Warfare 2 (at best) received a higher score no more then 25% on all the sites that reviewed both games. They have completely dominanted in 2009; the fact you're promoting Bethesda's best titles and completely ignoring how much recognition Uncharted 2 received, does't make you an asshole, it just makes you uneducated and perhaps stubborn.

4) Arkham Asylum & Modern Warfare 2 won as many (if not more) awards?! Please, before you criticise someone, make sure you know the details. Now that I think about it, you might just be an asshole, and a pretty uneducated one at that.

5) Fallout 3 & Oblivion virtually swept their GOTY award? :facepalm
The same Oblivion that was criticised by so many critics for lacking substance in their gameplay? For being an aesthetically provoking open world without much backbone? Yeah, okay buddy. Keep telling me fairytales, you haven't provided a single link to back-up your claims. All I need to do is show you all the scores critics gave to each of those games, and it wouldn't be that hard to see that Uncharted 2 received a substantially higher score. Last I checked they have a 96.4% score; Fallout 3 received a 93.5% score and that's Bathesta's highest rated game.

6) Arkham City is currently sitting at a 97 percentile on megacritics... :oldlol:
Which game has received better scores from Bathesta, exactly?

7) You really have trouble comprehending, do you? You still having trouble understanding why I mention sales revenues? Here, I'll break it down for you. Uncharted 2 has sold over 8 million copies, making them by far the leader in their particular genre. No other action-adventure game has been recognized and sold as many games as Uncharted 2 has. That makes them an outlier and clear favorite in their own respective genre. Not a single game from Bathesda I would consider the best RPG. I am positive most would pick Mass Effect 2 as the best RPG game of this generation. Their sales figures are significantly larger then Uncharted, but you're comparing apples to oranges. Compare their sales to Mass Effect 2 and you will realize their market share isn't as large as the Uncharted 2 in their own respective target group. Do you understand the point now?

8) Your last sentence basically concludes to me that you're a pompous ignoramus, that should be ignored. You basically attacked me for being "bias", yet you're proclaiming a game that has not even been released yet as the clear GOTY. Uhm, talk about being a hypocrite. Batman has a 96 score, Uncharted 3 is setting with a score of 94. No game that Bathesda has ever produced, has scored higher then either of these games. An objective person would conclude that Skyrim isn't some "clear-cut" game of the year, and are in fact, simply a candidate. Realistically speaking, probably aren't even the favorites. My money is on Zelda, Uncharted 3 or Arkham City. Why? Because historical data proves that fact. We can speculate all want, but I'm using an objective state of mind. If I was a betting man, I would bet on Naughty Dog (Uncharted 3) producing a better game because they already have in the past. I would bet on Arkham City because the game has been released already and received the highest of praise. I would bet on Zelda, because it's pretty much the center landmark of gaming (besides maybe Mario). Bathesda has never produced a single game that can compete with that; you boosting their stock doesn't mean they are. If they were, they would be sitting where those games are sitting; right at the top, Fallout 3/Oblivion are a tier down, that is a FACT.

We shall see though; Skyrim could very well win GOTY. They could end up being the #1 rated game of All-Time, but past results do not demonstrate to me that Bathesda has produced better games then Uncharted 2 or 3 or Arkham City.

Fiasco
10-27-2011, 06:10 PM
Hahahahaha.

This isn't even going to be a contest. Skyrim is going to win this in a landslide.

Same-engine-from-4-years-ago-Warfare 3 being a nominee is laughable. Assassin's Creed Revelations is just as bad.

The only game that can challenge the Elder Scrolls series would be Batman AC, and to a lesser extent, Dark Souls. Uncharted should be around there as well but LOL to anyone who says Skyrim is all "hype". People who have played ES games solely on console = opinions not valid. At all.

AlexanderRight
10-27-2011, 06:16 PM
Dude, you're claiming people are being bias towards Skyrim yet you're clearly bias towards Uncharted......
You say yourself you don't like RPGs, a whole genre, so you are not in any position to comment on them, you don't like them. You pretty much just said you're a casual gamer.... I'm not, I play every big title that comes out, all of them, regardless of genre.

Trying to claim that Uncharted has more aclaim than any Bethesda game is SO ridiculous I'm almost inclined to just be a total asshole to you for even saying it, but I won't. You need to do some research dude, both Fallout 3 and Oblivion are top 10 in every single "top 100 games" lists/polls on the internet. Both have so many awards it's not even funny. Todd Howard, Bethesda lead, is WIDELY regarded as one of the best games minds EVER.

Sorry but ther mere fact that you say Rage is a Bethesda game shows just how little you know about the industry. Rage was developed by id Software, Bethesda is just the publisher...
Even your claims that Uncharted was 2009 game of the year is very debatable, is was in no way the clear cut choice. Infact MW2 and Batman Arkham Asylum won as many if not more game of the year awards from various sites. Fallout 3 and Oblivion virtually swept the boards for these awards, they cannot be debated in their game of the year claims.

And once again you've made a ridiculous claim, Batman has had better reviews that any Bethesda game? Dude, you're conversing with a hardcore gamer, I know what is fact or fiction. Fallout 3 was given perfect scores from most if not all sites across the internet, don't even try making shit up here...

Also, don't use sales figures in your original arguement then claim you don't care about them when the otherside shows you up on them.
For the record, Skyrim has 1.4 million PRE ORDERS. It's way on track to be the highest ever selling single player game in video game history on the first day of release, as in selling more copies TO DATE than any other game since their release.

We can be cocky about Skyrim's game of the year chances because, regardless of you "opinion" it is FAR AND AWAY the best game to be released this year.

You sure about that? 2008 wasn't exactly a slow year for games. I'm not saying Fallout 3 doesn't have a case but if you're going to actually hold the drawn out puke that is Modern Warfare 2 against Uncharted 2 then it is only fair to hold actually good games like Metal Gear Solid 4, GTA IV, and Little Big Planet against Fallout 3 in 2008. Same thing goes for Gears of War and Twilight Princess with Elder Scrolls. Again, Fallout and Elder Scrolls certainly have their cases for game of the year but to say it's not debatable is just absurd, especially when you want to actually want to play up that Call of Duty garbage. And believe me. You're talking with someone who has over 100 hours in Fallout 3. I love the hell out of it. But you and I both know that it was far from perfect.

However, people really shouldn't be complaining about Game of the Year this year since the nominees are all really good. Arkham City, Portal 2, Elder Scrolls, and Uncharted are all terrific in their own right so to complain which is better than the other would be like comparing tits to ass. There's really no loser.

Walker
10-27-2011, 08:26 PM
[QUOTE=rhythmic

GOBB
10-27-2011, 08:50 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=itqrRMd9yl0&feature=relmfu

^^^game of the year? maybe for a school of 3rd graders perhaps. Come on.

crosso√er
10-27-2011, 09:46 PM
Firstly their name is Bethesda k? Not Bathesda, I find it very hard to take someone's opinions on a company seriously when they don't even know how to spell it.
That alone shows you know nothing about the company or their games and your claims about them are just ridiculous. Guareentee both Fallout 3 and Oblivion have won more awards than Uncharted has, ohh wait I should say, that is fact shouldn't I? That makes it totally true.
Ohh wow they made a gallery? Probably because it's a nothing studio that made one good game and feel the need to tell everyone how great they are?
Bethesda have been the market leaders for a decade, they have no need to try and prove to everyone how good they are. Hell you even own their games yet you hate the genre right? Why do you own the games then? Perhaps cause all the feedback you saw on them were so amazing you simply had to see the games? Funny that, yet they aren't "critically acclaimed" games right?
Why exactly do I need links to prove what I'm saying, haven't seen one from you... Go look at sites youself, it's not hard. MW2 and Batman won a hell of alot of game of the year awards, like I said, as many if not more than Uncharted did.
Mass Effect 2? Wow, even calling Mass Effect 2 an RPG is a joke let alone the best. Just cause your character levels does not make a game an RPG. The very linear nature of the Mass Effect series makes it not an RPG, it's a shooter with RPG elements. I dare you to go to any real gaming site and ask how many people think that game is the best RPG, you'll be laughed off the site.
You seem to have some weird mix up between reviewers scores and game of the year awards. Claiming all these reviewers scores make the game better, even giving a score for Uncharted 3, it's not even out. You do realise these before release "reviews" are on proviso that the reviews are good right? Look at NBA 2K12 for a prime example, glitch fest yet miraculously these supposed reviewers missed all these bugs and glitches that players found within hours of release.
Anyway the numbers say it all, how many people in this thread have said Skyrim has it? More than a few. How many backed up your Uncharted 3? Ohh, none.
I'm done bothering trying, I'll bookmark this thread and pull it up when I'm indeed right, which will happen.
Ohh and incase you wanna reply, it's Bethesda, got it?

Nice, I created a gaming war. :oldlol:
But honestly, what are you rambling on about? thesis thoroughly owned you.

I've already seen one person praise the Uncharted series in this very thread; not including rhythmic thesis. I have created a thread a while back praising Uncharted 2, claiming it's the best game I have ever played. I still hold that same belief, it's the best game of this generation to me. So there, that's three people that fully support Uncharted. Shut your mouth, all of your replies are so irritating and full of holes!

First off, him not knowing how to spell Bethesda has no relevance at all. He owns the games like he said, and he didn't like them. So why should we not value his input? I can not STAND any of their games either. In fact, I don't even like Fallout 3. I don't understand how people can waste their lives playing these games for 100+ hours, and then "rinse and repeat" so they can finish the game a different way. People have different preferences when it comes to games, you basically made an ass out of yourself in this thread. Thesis made some valid points, along the lines of something I would have said myself.

I can not believe you can sit there and diss Naughty Dog. The company that has succeeded every time they released a game; you need to remember they develop adventure games. Just because they do not develop games that you prefer, doesn't mean they aren't one of the most prestigious gaming companies out there. Crash Bandicoot, Jak & Daxter & Uncharted are all household adventure titles; everyone who likes that genre, loves those games.

I can pretty much guarantee the guy bought those Bethesda games because they received great scores. I don't recall seeing him claim that a) Bethesda do not create great games or b) they do not receive praise. He simply stated he doesn't like RPG based games and he didn't enjoy their titles. We can make numerous assumptions as to why he owns those games, but I'm pretty sure my description is rather accurate.

Also, he said they aren't as critically acclaimed as the other games you moron. He never said they were not critically acclaimed, learn how to read.

:oldlol: I am pretty sure he meant that Skyrim hasn't even received a single review. Uncharted 3 received over 40 reviews by now; sure they aren't officially released but most gaming sites have attained a copy so they can write their pre-release reviews.

In conclusion, I am an Uncharted fan. I enjoy these type of linear action-adventure games. I appreciate their artistic design, aestheticism, sound, dialogue & characterization. At what they do, they are the best. Can't say the same for Bethesda; quit calling them market leaders for some sort of credibility reasons. It doesn't necessarily mean they develop the best games, there's a thing called niche marketing. I don't even like Fallout 3; apparently their best game. Of course other people like RPG games, so Bethesda is most certainly a very notorious company regarding RPG-based games. You called him out for liking Naughty Dog more, right? Maybe you should do some research about their history. They have never released a failed product, EVER.

You can be a leader in market share through economies of scale, doesn't necessarily mean they nurture quality.

Please do bookmark this thread, I don't see why.
No one besides your dumb-ass ever made any idiotic prophecies regarding who will win GOTY. Thesis was actually quite respectable to you, I don't have patience for idiots like you. They need to be put in their place.

By the way, go read my thread as to why I believe Uncharted 2 is the best game ever made. Then if you'd like, explain to me why any game Bethesda has ever created is better. :rolleyes:

By the way guys, I totally forgot Zelda.
I am not a Nintendo guy, or a Zelda fan. But Skyward a legit contender without a doubt...I'll add it to the list. :cheers:

crosso√er
10-27-2011, 10:27 PM
I added the latest reviews; I only include scores from sites that have reviewed both games, cause it's more relevant. Uncharted 3 is leading by a hair.

Nanners
10-27-2011, 11:05 PM
how can one even compare wii zelda to uncharted or skyrim or battlefield 3? does it really matter what a bunch of magazine writers decide is the number one game of the year?

talkingconch
10-28-2011, 04:04 AM
No wonder bioware didnt release Mass effect 3 this year lol, they want the crown next year

this year should go to either Skyrim, Uncharted 3, Gears 3, Arkham City, Zelda Skyward Sword (this year release?)

maybe some others im missing

edit* IGN just gave a 10 to uncharted 3 =O

Fiasco
10-28-2011, 05:29 AM
edit* IGN just gave a 10 to uncharted 3 =O

They gave a 9.6 to Mass Effect 2, and an 8.5 to Dragon Age 2. IGN sold the **** out ages ago.

EnoughSaid
10-28-2011, 10:53 AM
[QUOTE=rhythmic

code green
10-29-2011, 12:10 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=itqrRMd9yl0&feature=relmfu

^^^game of the year? maybe for a school of 3rd graders perhaps. Come on.

really? i was going to get into arguing my case, but i don't even feel like its necessary. it's zelda, man. it's not like they make two or three a year, the last major Zelda game they made was in what? 2006? you post a quick battle tutorial and then say it's for 3rd graders? you can do better than that...

GOBB
10-29-2011, 01:41 PM
really? i was going to get into arguing my case, but i don't even feel like its necessary. it's zelda, man. it's not like they make two or three a year, the last major Zelda game they made was in what? 2006? you post a quick battle tutorial and then say it's for 3rd graders? you can do better than that...

The animaton is no different in the battle tutorial and actual gameplay. Hence why I laughed and said its for 3rd graders. You think in 2011 Zelda would have some kind of realistic approach with it. Too cartoonish for me. Like putting on a kids video when you're babysitting a relative as they sit in front of the tv drinking their juicy juicy box in a trance.

Al Thornton
10-29-2011, 03:40 PM
The animaton is no different in the battle tutorial and actual gameplay. Hence why I laughed and said its for 3rd graders. You think in 2011 Zelda would have some kind of realistic approach with it. Too cartoonish for me. Like putting on a kids video when you're babysitting a relative as they sit in front of the tv drinking their juicy juicy box in a trance.

how could it be realistic?

GOBB
10-29-2011, 04:39 PM
how could it be realistic?

By having everyone grow up? :confusedshrug:

Why cant Zelda and the characters look more realistic. Not sure how you need that to be explained. You've played games with realistic characters before.

Al Thornton
10-29-2011, 04:42 PM
By having everyone grow up? :confusedshrug:

Why cant Zelda and the characters look more realistic. Not sure how you need that to be explained. You've played games with realistic characters before.

but that wouldn't be zelda..

do you mean like ocarina of time?

GOBB
10-29-2011, 04:52 PM
but that wouldn't be zelda..

do you mean like ocarina of time?

I was thinking more like this

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wRk30PRdDJ8

Let Zelda look like Zelda but in a more realistic way. I cant get into the cartoon animation anymore. Let Zelda and the foes grow up a bit.

Walker
11-10-2011, 02:20 PM
What a surprise, Skyrim according to Metacritic is the highest rated game EVER.

Where's my little Uncharted bitch now? :roll:

macmac
11-10-2011, 02:27 PM

It's ok bro, people don't know, they don't understand....

rhythmic
11-10-2011, 02:37 PM

It's rated at 95, Uncharted 2 is rated at 96.
How is it the highest rated game exactly? Every game on metacritic initially gets high scores, but as more sources review the games; the score tends to die off. Once again, you keep referencing false information.

Uncharted 3 is sitting at 92, just before its release it was sitting at 96. Uncharted 2 before its release was sitting at 98 on metacritic.

You need to quit being so immature. No one said Skyrim wasn't a GOTY candidate. Heck, Zelda is currently rated at 98; it's not even the highest rated game this year. Batman is rated at 96 right now.

Kungfro
11-11-2011, 03:18 PM
I totally forget The Witcher 2 came out this year. I never did play it but I remember it being pretty well received.

step_back
11-11-2011, 05:01 PM
Of the top of my head Batman Arkham city.

I haven't completed Uncharted 3 yet so that could sway my mind.

Assassins creed is also yet to be released. So far it has looked brilliant in gameplay footage.

Walker
11-18-2011, 09:44 AM
It's rated at 95, Uncharted 2 is rated at 96.
How is it the highest rated game exactly? Every game on metacritic initially gets high scores, but as more sources review the games; the score tends to die off. Once again, you keep referencing false information.

Uncharted 3 is sitting at 92, just before its release it was sitting at 96. Uncharted 2 before its release was sitting at 98 on metacritic.

You need to quit being so immature. No one said Skyrim wasn't a GOTY candidate. Heck, Zelda is currently rated at 98; it's not even the highest rated game this year. Batman is rated at 96 right now.
Right now:

The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim

Release Date:Nov 11, 2011
User Score:8.8
Platform:X360

What? Drop off huh? Maybe crappy games, not stunning pieces of work like this junior.
Shame you can't face facts that Skyrim shits all over your pathetic excuses.

donald_trump
11-18-2011, 10:39 AM
Right now:

What? Drop off huh? Maybe crappy games, not stunning pieces of work like this junior.

and batman sits on top at the moment.

from 4 of the 5 gaming websites that get the most traffic, both uncharted 3 and batman were rated better or equal to skyrim.

edit: you're also a huge nerd the fact you care so much about a game. get a life.

rhythmic
11-20-2011, 10:16 AM
Right now:

Your stubbornness and ignorance doesn't seem to fade.
Uncharted 2: 9.6 (105 reviews) & 8.8 game rating (over 2,200 reviews)
Identical to what Skyrim is currently sitting at; now lets see if it can actually sustain this prestigious score. They have about 30 less critic reviews and well over 1,000 less gamer reviews. It fell off from a 9.4 gamer rating to 8.8 in over a two week span.

Skyrim: 94.15%
Uncharted 2: 96.41%

Uhm, crappy game? :rolleyes:
Uncharted 3 is sitting at 92 on metacritic, and that's only because about 4-5 sources have obliterated the game. These outliers do not represent the rest of the gaming world. Even as crosso√er has outlined in the original post; Uncharted 3 is right there with Skyrim for GOTY. He recorded the scores from all the websites who have reviewed all four games. Heck, Uncharted 3 has received more recognition from those website as it has received the highest score, more times then any other game (including Skyrim). Sorry but A.V. Club is a junk website, who gave U3 a 50 just so they can get some recognition. You don't think this particular outlier reduces U3's score from like a 95 to 92? The same website that gave Uncharted 2 a 100%. :oldlol:

Their review consisted of three paragraphs, of absolutely rubbish. The three biggest gaming websites have the highest accumulated score favoring Uncharted 3 (IGN, GameSpot & GameTrailers). Heck, the biggest publisher in europe has giving Uncharted 3 the highest score among any game (of All-Time). Batman received a 90, Skyrim received an 85 and Modern Warfare 3 received an 82. Uncharted 3 received a 99, beating out Ocarina of Time, Red Dead Redemption and GTA 3 (who all had the highest score at 98).

But all these facts don't matter, because you've probably never even giving Uncharted a fair chance. You're one of those geeks who takes games to heart, and this passion is the essence of your stupidity.

After my 2nd play-through, I enjoyed U3 a lot more.
Looks like Uncharted 3 is slowly climbing up the rankings, after A.V. gave the game a 50 and dropped it 3-4 percentile points down.

Gaming Trend - 91%
Digital Chumps - 92%
Games Extreme - 100%
PSM3 Magazine - 96%
GamerNode - 100%
Gamecell - 100%
DarkStation - 100%
Console Obsession - 90%
GameCritics - 95%

The thing is, due to those outliers; U3 still has not managed to increase by 1%. If you actually ignore A.V.'s review, because it's complete rubbish and does a terrible job at solidifying the score given; Uncharted 3 goes up to 95%. Right there with Batman and Skyrim.

pauk
11-20-2011, 12:29 PM
Modern Warfare 3? :roll:

it has the worst user rates EVER...............

i think BATTLEFIELD 3 or SKYRIM will be probably the game of the year....

you are dwelling to much over consoles.......... Battlefield 3 on Multiplayer, on PC is bigger than freakin life.... this is NOT a singleplayer game, which many have actually rated this game upon..... to properly review BF3 you would have to play at least a month of Multiplayer to fully see its features...

and come on... Uncharted 3 / Batman did not recieve the hype & glorifying & popularity on both consoles/PC as much as Skyrim/BF3

ukballer
11-20-2011, 01:54 PM
Modern Warfare 3? :roll:

it has the worst user rates EVER...............

i think BATTLEFIELD 3 or SKYRIM will be probably the game of the year....

you are dwelling to much over consoles.......... Battlefield 3 on Multiplayer, on PC is bigger than freakin life.... this is NOT a singleplayer game, which many have actually rated this game upon..... to properly review BF3 you would have to play at least a month of Multiplayer to fully see its features...

and come on... Uncharted 3 / Batman did not recieve the hype & glorifying & popularity on both consoles/PC as much as Skyrim/BF3

BF3 is not even close to GOY, and neither is MW3, so we can both put them games and their contention to bed. Bladers stay out the thread if you're reading this. :lol

I haven't played UC3/Batman or Skyrim so I won't comment on them, other than looking at hype from a completely neutral standpoint, Skyrim gets the edge.

Unlikely to be a GOY candidate, but Star Wars: The Old Republic is out in a month. Not going to be as aesthetically pleasing as your Skyrim/Uncharted type games, but this is most definitely the closest thing we'll get to a WoW killer for a while. I get the feeling there aren't too many MMO players here, but even so, this game is going to be huge. Probably a candidate for 2012 if it will be given any consideration.

Qwyjibo
11-20-2011, 02:02 PM
After playing a few more recent games (Skyrim, MW3, couple others), the best games I've played in 2011 are:

Dark Souls
The Witcher 2
Portal 2

BUT, I still haven't played Arkham City and Asylum is one of my favourite games of all-time. I'm sure City would be on the list as well but there's too many games to go through right now.

intrinsic
11-20-2011, 03:09 PM
does it really matter what a bunch of magazine writers decide is the number one game of the year?
Not really.

Velocirap31
11-20-2011, 05:21 PM
I don't really care what the critics choose as game of the year. My game of the year is Dark Souls, I love that game. The reason I don't plan on playing Skyrim is because the combat looks like crap (as I've also heard from friends that played it and Dark Souls). I still have to play Uncharted 3 though.

rhythmic
11-20-2011, 05:36 PM
After playing a few more recent games (Skyrim, MW3, couple others), the best games I've played in 2011 are:

Dark Souls
The Witcher 2
Portal 2

BUT, I still haven't played Arkham City and Asylum is one of my favourite games of all-time. I'm sure City would be on the list as well but there's too many games to go through right now.

Did you play Uncharted 3 yet man?

KeylessEntry
11-20-2011, 07:10 PM
My favorite game of the year is Skyrim by far. Batman, Uncharted and Battlefield 3 are all very impressive games as well, but Skyrim is just on another level for me.

It might be my favorite single player RPG ever. At worst its in my top 5 with a couple of the Final Fantasy games and Fallout.

talkingconch
11-22-2011, 10:44 PM
skyrim, uncharted or arkham city

Micku
11-23-2011, 12:02 AM
Exciting gaming year.

What about Zelda? That is also a contender for game of the year too.

And Star Wars The Old Republic will be coming out soon too. That probably won't win game of the year, but it's definitely a shake in the MMO genre.

talkingconch
11-23-2011, 02:39 AM
Exciting gaming year.

What about Zelda? That is also a contender for game of the year too.

And Star Wars The Old Republic will be coming out soon too. That probably won't win game of the year, but it's definitely a shake in the MMO genre.

**** me, forgot about zelda, its just that I hate how it doesnt get the hype it deserves unlike games like mw3 (definitely nowhere near Zelda) or other games

but Zelda should be a contender along with the 3 i listed too

OmniStrife
11-23-2011, 09:05 AM
Skyrim killed my social life...

Joshumitsu
11-23-2011, 09:19 AM
Skyrim killed my social life...

That's okay. Pretty soon, the Tetris effect will kick in and the very reality as you used to know will only be filled with NPCs who say the same thing over and over. Admit it, that last is already partially truthful.

Qwyjibo
11-25-2011, 08:46 PM
Had to pick up Arkham City for $29. No idea when I'm going to find the time to play it though. This looks like a beast of a game.