View Full Version : Will Smith wants 50 million to do Independence Day sequels

Hotlantadude81
11-01-2011, 02:09 PM
http://www.worstpreviews.com/headline.php?id=23226&count=0

He wants his family to be cast also.

:oldlol: :oldlol: :oldlol: :oldlol: :oldlol:

senelcoolidge
11-01-2011, 02:41 PM
50 million..I'd slap him and tell him "get a hold of yourself, you're just a freaking actor". Your son can't act. But we can cast your wife, she's not bad.

Take Your Lumps
11-01-2011, 02:43 PM
Scientology ain't cheap.

Joshumitsu
11-01-2011, 02:44 PM
To this day, I'm still lol @destroying highly advanced alien weaponry with a computer virus from 1995.

Premeditated
11-01-2011, 02:53 PM
:roll: :roll: :roll:

Will Smith, the movie star God. The only movie star that rivals him is Tom Cruise.

TylerOO
11-01-2011, 02:55 PM
he will end up gettin that much.

InspiredLebowski
11-01-2011, 02:59 PM
Sounds like good business to me, they'd pull in over $300 mil

Reef
11-01-2011, 03:00 PM
To this day, I'm still lol @destroying highly advanced alien weaponry with a computer virus from 1995.

They forgot to install Norton.

Kebab Stall
11-01-2011, 03:21 PM
How lucky was it, that the aliens were using the exact same operating system?!

Hotlantadude81
11-01-2011, 03:23 PM
I'd watch it. Pay the man.

Will Smith got like 7 bucks from me back in 1997... Anything else that I've seen that he is in I haven't paid for. I leave that up to the sucker friends/relatives that actually buy his mediocre movies.

chains5000
11-01-2011, 03:29 PM
http://images.wikia.com/southpark/images/9/98/Billgates.JPG

ukplayer4
11-01-2011, 03:32 PM
the bigger mystery here is why studios continue to allow roland emerich to do these, you could toss your 150 mill at some of the up and comers/and more talented that are just queing up to do hollywood fodder like wyatt/jones/edwards/vaughn and they wont demand huge fees AND THERE IS ACTUALLY A CHANCE THEY MAKE A DECENT FILM!!!! that possibility is too much for hollywood to handle tho....

Bless Mathews
11-01-2011, 03:38 PM
50 million? Big deal. When your gonna make 500 million worldwide PROFIT at least???

White peoples greed Amazes me....

bagelred
11-01-2011, 03:51 PM
Will Smith also wanted Carlton in the movie too and to include this dance:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aSpnneXeDKY

These demands are outrageous.

Saintsfan1992
11-01-2011, 03:51 PM
Give it to the man.:pimp:

bagelred
11-01-2011, 04:04 PM
I hear Jeff Goldblum's available.......:cheers:

LBJMVP
11-01-2011, 04:16 PM
dont huge named actors make around 25 milion per film?
if that true, it said he wanted 50 million to do both from so he is making 25 million per movie.

still way to much money if you ask me.

kentatm
11-01-2011, 04:24 PM
aside from the cities getting destroyed and a few Will Smith one liners, that movie was complete shit.

Dictator
11-01-2011, 04:26 PM
This would have been my reaction(In order):

:cheers: :eek: :no: :( :wtf: :hammerhead: :violin: :milton :roll:

InspiredLebowski
11-01-2011, 04:33 PM
I hear Jeff Goldblum's available.......:cheers:Someone tell me how Goldblum's never played a child molester. Too obvious?

DeuceWallaces
11-01-2011, 04:43 PM
Twenty mill is pretty standard for big action films so I don't see why they wouldn't lock him up for 50 over two, where you're going to save big on production costs shooting back to back anyway.

Dbrog
11-01-2011, 04:44 PM
50 million? Big deal. When your gonna make 500 million worldwide PROFIT at least???

What's wrong with this picture?

airchibundo507
11-01-2011, 04:46 PM

lmao

nathanjizzle
11-01-2011, 04:50 PM
seems like a fair amount.

Premeditated
11-01-2011, 04:55 PM
smh @ these movie studios producers trying to be greedy. The man alone in a action movie is gonna get you at least 200 mill. Add in the special affects and you set to get on hell of a payday yourself. Many, pay that boy his money. Will Smith is the most popular movie star in the world. Yes, I said it. He's bigger than Leo, Pitt, Damon, and Depp.

too bad he's not a better actor than them though:oldlol:

Godzuki
11-01-2011, 04:59 PM
Will Smith is on the decline screw him and his ego. they need to hire Chris Tucker and save like $48mill...or just hire Denzell, he can't be asking for much these days :confusedshrug:

Godzuki
11-01-2011, 05:02 PM
aside from the cities getting destroyed and a few Will Smith one liners, that movie was complete shit.

i thought it was pretty decent. easily watchable and i give them points for showing the alien and interrogating it. in fact i'd rather watch Independence Day over and over and over again over District9 :blah i swear that movie was awful...

QuebecBaller
11-01-2011, 05:24 PM
Independence Day is such a crap movie... A sequel just can be worst than the original... It can destroys the career of Will Smith, so 50 millions is ok because he'll be force to retire after doing this :D

bagelred
11-01-2011, 05:25 PM
Someone tell me how Goldblum's never played a child molester. Too obvious?

http://cdn.imnotobsessed.com/wp-content/uploads/090612ptr_jeffgoldblum_0041.jpg

He played one in real life.

Kblaze8855
11-01-2011, 06:20 PM
The first movie made over 800 million worldwide. It was for a while the second biggest movie ever worldwide. And that is 15 years ago without 3d to bump up the prices.

For two movies you just know will be shot in 3D and combine to gross like 1.5 billion? At least? Sounds fair.

brantonli
11-01-2011, 06:32 PM

500 mil profit? Unless the movie is very, very good, I'll be surprised if it can make that. Movie theatres take from 10 to 50% of the ticket price, and then there's production and marketing costs. Just to make 500 mil profit, the film will probably have to gross over a billion (assuming 80% goes to studio, so 800 mil, production costs are probably 200 mil, marketing maybe 100 mil, then down to 500 mil). Of course this is just wild guess work on my part :D

G-train
11-01-2011, 06:33 PM
Did anyone read the article?

He wanted $50m almost 3 years ago.
And he wanted to film it close to where he lived.
And (as OP stated) wanted his wife and kids to have roles.

Will Smith is replaceable in those circumstances, and it will still gross a billion over the years.

DaHeezy
11-01-2011, 06:39 PM
High risk with high reward. This is a no brainer. The fact that internet critics bash the idea, this will be a money maker.

G-train
11-01-2011, 06:40 PM
Will Smith is the most popular movie star in the world. Yes, I said it. He's bigger than Leo, Pitt, Damon, and Depp.

USA isn't the world, despite what most Americans think.
Smith would be lucky to be top 20 in the world in terms of popularity.

G-train
11-01-2011, 06:56 PM
Tucker got $20 million each to do the Rush Hour sequels.

$50 mill for Will Smith to do two films is a bargain.

I believe there are significant other high wages being demanded, and also Smith has other demands.

His family wouldn't be acting for free for example.

Premeditated
11-01-2011, 07:04 PM
USA isn't the world, despite what most Americans think.
Smith would be lucky to be top 20 in the world in terms of popularity.
so you're saying one of these guys are bigger than Will Smith in terms of star power?

G-train
11-01-2011, 07:07 PM
Why would anybody be acting for free when they can get paid?

If he wants more control and have his family involved...well, pay him $50 to be the star and producer the 2 films.

I don't know, I don't see his demands being all that outrageous considering he's one of the biggest blockbuster actors of our generation.

missed the point. He says that his family has to be in it. Well they have their own pay demands, probably millions.
Other actors would play those roles for significantly less. just one example.

G-train
11-01-2011, 07:12 PM
so you're saying one of these guys are bigger than Will Smith in terms of star power?

Well you mentioned "Leo, Pitt, Damon, and Depp". All are significantly more popular right now across the world. Not saying they are better for this role, but they are more popular worldwide.
Stars of Twilight are more popular, dudes like Rogan, Ferrell are more popular right now.
But he would definitely be in the top 20 or so most popular.
He wouldn't even touch Depp worldwide.
And thats not including women actors.

But he may be the most popular among 300m or so in your country, but that leaves about 6.5b other people.

bagelred
11-01-2011, 07:25 PM
High risk with high reward. This is a no brainer. The fact that internet critics bash the idea, this will be a money maker.

What internet critics? Any sequel starring Will Smith is going to rake in cash.

G-train
11-01-2011, 07:29 PM
As far as I know, Will Smith is up there with Depp, Cruise(on a decline), Leo, and Sandler, and possibly Hanks too.

Well it's clear you don't know much from an international movie perspective.

Sarcastic
11-01-2011, 07:31 PM
No way should the owners give in to this gansta thug. If it weren't for their movies, he would be a crack head working at McDonalds. He should just take whatever they offer him.

G-train
11-01-2011, 07:31 PM
None of the Twilight actors and actresses are elite stars. They're just part of a mega hit franchise series. You put them in other non-Twilight films and it's be a flop in terms of blockbuster sales.

I don't think Rogan nor Ferrell makes $20-25 per flick.

But Depp is up there. Will is only a few notches below Depp.

This discussion is about popularity in november 2011.
Not talent or money made.
FYI though, Ferrell gets at least $20m per film.

G-train
11-01-2011, 07:33 PM
No way should the owners give in to this gansta thug. If it weren't for their movies, he would be a crack head working at McDonalds. He should just take whatever they offer him.

I agree he is worth $25m a film or more. I dont agree that he is the most popular actor in the world.
And I can understand if they dont pay him that, his family millions to play roles, and the possible millions it would cost to film it near his house so he doesnt have to travel much from home.

Meticode
11-01-2011, 07:40 PM
The virus didn't destroy them, it only brought their defenses down few a few minutes for the human's to get through their shields!

Premeditated
11-01-2011, 07:41 PM
Well you mentioned "Leo, Pitt, Damon, and Depp". All are significantly more popular right now across the world. Not saying they are better for this role, but they are more popular worldwide.
Stars of Twilight are more popular, dudes like Rogan, Ferrell are more popular right now.
But he would definitely be in the top 20 or so most popular.
He wouldn't even touch Depp worldwide.
And thats not including women actors.

But he may be the most popular among 300m or so in your country, but that leaves about 6.5b other people.
http://forums.projectcovo.com/images/smilies/wtf.png

oh my lord, I don't even know where to start.

lol @ naming Johnny Depp, Rum Diary only did 5.6 mil at the box office this weekend.

You're confusing critically acclaim with commercial star. Now given, all those guys are the biggest movie stars, but Will Smith and Tom Cruise (on his decline) are in their own lane.

Did you just list Will Farrel?:facepalm

The Twilight cast? you have got to be kidding me. Water For Elephant did moderate at the box office with Robert Pattinson, but The Runaway with Kristen Stewart and Abduction with that Jacob kid flopped like a b1tch.

Don't be fooled just because Will Smith hasn't done a movie in 3 years. The only Will Smith movie that I know that flopped was Ali. All those other guys have had a sh1tload of flops.

Premeditated
11-01-2011, 07:49 PM
And he sill got an Academy Award nomination for Ali. Not so much of a flop if you consider the critical acclaims he received for that role. :oldlol:
it's funny how the movie he got critical acclaim for was a flop and yet Wild Wild West did well.:oldlol:

I guess people just want to see him say cheesy lines and play the action hero.

G-train
11-01-2011, 07:56 PM
:facepalm

Premeditated
11-01-2011, 08:02 PM

you say Leo and them are more known internationally, but where's your box office numbers to back it up? Hell, I traveled to Liberia 21/2 years ago, and they were asking me if I've ever met Fresh Prince. Not a single lick of them know who Johnny Depp was. Hell, I didn't even know who Johnny Depp was until 03 when the Pirates of Caribbean films started.:roll: I kid you not.

Godzuki
11-01-2011, 08:16 PM
what has Will Smith done since IROBOT, which was a mass marketed flop? he's nowhere near that huge actor he was when he did the first Independence Day...

i wouldn't pay him shit. more because of his JLo diva type demands. i swear all these black dudes that come from nothing and then pretend they're worth the world with all this ego(see all them greedy NBA fgts) :mad:

PS i blame JLo's ego on Diddy. she wasn't that much of a diva snob until she got with him.

Premeditated
11-01-2011, 08:20 PM
what has Will Smith done since IROBOT, which was a mass marketed flop? he's nowhere near that huge actor he was when he did the first Independence Day...

i wouldn't pay him shit. more because of his JLo diva type demands. i swear all these black dudes that come from nothing and then pretend they're worth the world with all this ego(see all them greedy NBA fgts) :mad:
ignorance again I see. lol @ you assuming Smith came from nothing just because he's black. What does that have to do with anything anyway? If you deserve it you derve it. His name alone is gonna get people to watch. Yeah...let them go out and get an up and comer.:facepalm

You seem like one of those people that would happily accept the ass raping that he gets just because they came from nothing. Who cares about that? Where is your pride? where is your machismo?

Loneshot
11-01-2011, 08:34 PM
Seven Pounds was garbage

Hancock was good for what it was

I Am Legend was entertaining

The Pursuit of Happyness was great

Hitch was good for what it was meant to be

Dude has a nice resume. Generally when a new Smith movie comes out, it's a big deal.

DirtySanchez
11-01-2011, 08:37 PM
Ummmm why do we need a sequel to Independence Day?

Godzuki
11-01-2011, 08:38 PM
ignorance again I see. lol @ you assuming Smith came from nothing just because he's black. What does that have to do with anything anyway? If you deserve it you derve it. His name alone is gonna get people to watch. Yeah...let them go out and get an up and comer.:facepalm

You seem like one of those people that would happily accept the ass raping that he gets just because they came from nothing. Who cares about that? Where is your pride? where is your machismo?

because its allll these NBA players that came from nothing or more or less low end jobs to playing a sport they love for a living, getting paid hundreds of thousands to tens of millions of dollars, and they're sitting there crying about a few percentages. Will Smith has it even better. ure bitch ass works a few months out of the year, probably loving playing bad ass roles and knowing how famous its making u all the while collecting tens of millions, and he's demanding 50 mill now and his family a part of it? lmao @ pride, machismo :facepalm how about being humble, being happy with where you're at, how ez u have it compared to 99.9% of the world, and stop acting like a spoiled brat diva? bitch u should be happy with good enough. be happy u went from minimum wage to 20 mill doing films.

i swear no kid should have role models with the way these dikkheads act these days :facepalm

Godzuki
11-01-2011, 08:42 PM
IRobot was 2004
http://boxofficemojo.com/movies/?id=iamlegend.htm (2007)
http://boxofficemojo.com/movies/?id=hancock.htm (2008)
http://boxofficemojo.com/movies/?id=hitch.htm (2005)
http://boxofficemojo.com/movies/?id=pursuitofhappyness.htm (2006) nominated for an Oscar by the way

oh and IRobot made....
Total Lifetime Grosses
Domestic: $144,801,023 41.7%
+ Foreign: $202,433,893 58.3%
= Worldwide: $347,234,916

It was a shitty movie but it wasn't a flop.

damn it seemed like IROBOT was the most recent. i mean i liked iamlegend(more the premise), hancock was ok, but i just don't see Will Smith anywhere near the top of the totem pole actor he was at one point. not even close.

Premeditated
11-01-2011, 08:45 PM
damn it seemed like IROBOT was the most recent. i mean i liked iamlegend(more the premise), hancock was ok, but i just don't see Will Smith anywhere near the top of the totem pole actor he was at one point. not even close.
that's because he hasn't made a film in 3 years.:facepalm

Premeditated
11-01-2011, 08:47 PM
because its allll these NBA players that came from nothing or more or less low end jobs to playing a sport they love for a living, getting paid hundreds of thousands to tens of millions of dollars, and they're sitting there crying about a few percentages. Will Smith has it even better. ure bitch ass works a few months out of the year, probably loving playing bad ass roles and knowing how famous its making u all the while collecting tens of millions, and he's demanding 50 mill now and his family a part of it? lmao @ pride, machismo :facepalm how about being humble, being happy with where you're at, how ez u have it compared to 99.9% of the world, and stop acting like a spoiled brat diva? bitch u should be happy with good enough. be happy u went from minimum wage to 20 mill doing films.

i swear no kid should have role models with the way these dikkheads act these days :facepalm
I wonder if you would be spewing this same bullsh1t if it was a Tom Brady or Robert Pattinson doing this.

Godzuki
11-01-2011, 08:49 PM
that's because he hasn't made a film in 3 years.:facepalm

how does that change what i said? :facepalm

Godzuki
11-01-2011, 08:50 PM
I wonder if you would be spewing this same bullsh1t if it was a Tom Brady or Robert Pattinson doing this.

too bad Brady doesn't act like a diva brat, and all i really need to point to is Lebron...nm the rest of the league, biggest spoiled brats in sports. how come i never read hockey players acting that way? i don't even know wtf pattinson is....

Premeditated
11-01-2011, 08:53 PM
how does that change what i said? :facepalm
this is you

but i just don't see Will Smith anywhere near the top of the totem pole actor he was at one point. not even close.

his last movie did great number wise, yet you said you just don't see him at the top of the totem pole anymore. But his last film came out 3 years ago so you can't determine where he's placed if he hasn't released anything between that time.

Premeditated
11-01-2011, 08:55 PM
too bad Brady doesn't act like a diva brat, and all i really need to point to is Lebron...nm the rest of the league, biggest spoiled brats in sports. how come i never read hockey players acting that way? i don't even know wtf pattinson is....
that's not my point. Even if Brady was doing what Lebron on Will Smith is doing, you wouldn't be saying, that he should be happy because he came from nothing. You assumed that all the blacks came from nothing. That is what I'm focusing on.

Godzuki
11-01-2011, 08:56 PM
this is you

his last movie did great number wise, yet you said you just don't see him at the top of the totem pole anymore. But his last film came out 3 years ago so you can't determine where he's placed if he hasn't released anything between that time.

the fukk i can't...

anybody can. no way Will Smith is at the top of actors these days, or even near it. he doesn't even come close to Bale. he's at Denzell levels, or damn close.

Premeditated
11-01-2011, 08:59 PM
the fukk i can't...

anybody can. no way Will Smith is at the top of actors these days, or even near it. he doesn't even come close to Bale. he's at Denzell levels, or damn close.
again, how can you determine this, if he hasn't releases anything in 3 years and his last movie did great in theaters? And judging by the movies he's been developing to come out later, his star power isn't going to stop. Lol @ Bale being ahead of him. Why because he plays Batman? Since when has a Batman film flopped ever.

Godzuki
11-01-2011, 08:59 PM
that's not my point. Even if Brady was doing what Lebron on Will Smith is doing, you wouldn't be saying, that he should be happy because he came from nothing. You assumed that all the blacks came from nothing. That is what I'm focusing on.

oh thats cool, yeah most of these black guys came from lesser income so yeah they should be more grateful. yeah i said it... if i came from the subrubs or already rich families i'd take being filthy rich for granted, but coming from the ghetto or low income it'd be like dying and going to heaven. oh thats right we're talking about this make believe world where every race is the exact same and there are just as many white people who come from the ghetto or low income as black people, right? :facepalm

RRR3
11-01-2011, 09:00 PM
the fukk i can't...

Denzel is a great actor. :no:

Premeditated
11-01-2011, 09:00 PM
Big Willie Styles got $36 mill for Men in Black III (http://www.forbes.com/sites/dorothypomerantz/2011/08/01/hollywoods-highest-earning-actors/2/).

He cracked Forbes top 5 highest paid actors list of May 2010 to May 2011 with just one movie, and the movie isn't even out yet. :roll:
BAUSE!!!!

Premeditated
11-01-2011, 09:01 PM
oh thats cool, yeah most of these black guys came from lesser income so yeah they should be more grateful. yeah i said it... if i came from the subrubs or already rich families i'd take being filthy rich for granted, but coming from the ghetto or low income it'd be like dying and going to heaven. oh thats right we're talking about this make believe world where every race is the exact same and there are just as many white people who come from the ghetto or low income as black people, right? :facepalm
well, that's your problem then.

Godzuki
11-01-2011, 09:02 PM
again, how can you determine this, if he hasn't releases anything in 3 years and his last movie did great in theaters? And judging by the movies he's been developing to come out later, his star power isn't going to stop. Lol @ Bale being ahead of him. Why because he plays Batman? Since when has a Batman film flopped ever.

because not doing movies for years and being out of the spotlight is just as bad as doing bad movies nobody cares about with ure name attached to them. actually it might be worse...at least ure still getting ure name out there doing bad movies.

Bale is a beast. if anything he's one of the most underrated actors today :pimp:

Godzuki
11-01-2011, 09:03 PM
well, that's your problem then.

u mean reality...

Premeditated
11-01-2011, 09:05 PM
u mean reality...
yeah, you and the rest of the bumble fukk small towns in America.

falc39
11-01-2011, 09:07 PM
i'm just wondering what in the world are they going to do with the plot... it seemed pretty conclusive after the first one.

are we going to see an old will smith kick alien ass on their homeworld?

did an alien baby survive, and now the human beings have to take care of it and show it the true meaning of being independent?

will agent k come out of retirement (again) and help will smith for one last time... oh wait wrong movie haha

Godzuki
11-01-2011, 09:10 PM
Bale took a backseat to Depp(Public Enemy) and Wahlberg(The Fighter) and these flicks were after he made Batman.

Smith's only second billed flick since Independence Day was that golf flick with Matt Damon.

Fresh Prince is a muthafukking boss. Some white folks just can't accept that fact. :rolleyes:

oh i loved Fresh Prince of Bel Air....but Will is nowhere near what he used to be.

and Bale was a beast in that dragon flick, Terminator, anyone can play a mumbling Batman imo, and a lot of other movies i can't remember the name of. this dude is great at diversifying his character from role to role. probably the most underappreciated actor in the last 20 years~

Godzuki
11-01-2011, 09:12 PM
yeah, you and the rest of the bumble fukk small towns in America.

so who lives in the ghetto from ure reality? mostly white people? azns? can't be black people or ure going to be offended, right? :rolleyes:

Premeditated
11-01-2011, 09:15 PM
so who lives in the ghetto from ure reality? mostly white people? azns? can't be black people or ure going to be offended, right? :rolleyes:
totally missed my point. You feel that athletes or entertainers who come from a poorer background shouldn't stand up from themselves when they feel they are getting ripped off, but athletes who were raised in a privilege household can. You don't see how ass backwards that sound?

Godzuki
11-01-2011, 09:17 PM
totally missed my point. You feel that athletes or entertainers who come from a poorer background shouldn't stand up from themselves when they feel they are getting ripped off, but athletes who were raised in a privilege household can. You don't see how ass backwards that sound?

theres a HUUUGE difference between standing up for ureself and being a diva brat. and yeah if u come from nothing/less u should be that much more grateful with having so much....

Godzuki
11-01-2011, 09:18 PM
No, he's not where he used to be. He's calling all the shots now. Dude made his kid the new Karate Kid, and didn't even give a f-ck. :oldlol:

Bale is a great actor but he's not in Smith's league in terms of popularity and blockbuster success. He's not a big shot like Smith is.

i hate Will's kids :mad:

Premeditated
11-01-2011, 09:18 PM
No, he's not where he used to be. He's calling all the shots now. Dude made his kid the new Karate Kid, and didn't even give a f-ck. :oldlol:

Bale is a great actor but he's not in Smith's league in terms of popularity and blockbuster success. He's not a big shot like Smith is.
I think he's trolling when he brought up Bale. And I actually enjoy Bale more as an actor than Smith, but he's delusional for that.

Premeditated
11-01-2011, 09:20 PM
theres a HUUUGE difference between standing up for ureself and being a diva brat. and yeah if u come from nothing/less u should be that much more grateful with having so much....
which is my I said you're ass backwards and out of touch with reality just like the bumble fukk parts of America.

Godzuki
11-01-2011, 09:26 PM
which is my I said you're ass backwards and out of touch with reality just like the bumble fukk parts of America.

i bet u their grandma's would tell them the same exact thing...they forget where/what they came from. there is no way u can tell me someone who grew up without money doesn't value it more than someone who did. just no way.

Timmy D for MVP
11-02-2011, 12:59 AM
Sounds like good business to me, they'd pull in over $300 mil

At least.

I agree 50 million is reasonable for the biggest blockbuster draw on the planet rehashing on of the biggest and classic blockbuster movies ever.

vinsane01
11-02-2011, 01:07 AM

:lol

lefthook00
11-02-2011, 01:07 AM
Don't the big movie stars get paid 20-40 million a movie anyway?

InspiredLebowski
11-02-2011, 01:11 AM
At least.

I agree 50 million is reasonable for the biggest blockbuster draw on the planet rehashing on of the biggest and classic blockbuster movies ever.Yeah, $300 was a pretty big underestimate in all likelihood. I just checked out the original's box office on IMDb and plugged it in. Didn't even occur to me that movie was 15 damn years ago. After rentals it'd probably be more at least in the 800 mil range.

Too bad Vivica Fox is, well, Vivica Fox now. Remember when it didn't seem at all weird for her and Will Smith to play love interests in a summer blockbuster?

ConanRulesNBC
11-02-2011, 01:33 AM
I did enjoy the first Independence Day. Now I realize Will Smith doesn't care about starring in any actual good movies (he turned down a Tarantino movie!) and the director of Independence Day hasn't made a good movie since. He's the same idiot who made The Day After Tomorrow and 2012. I don't get what story can be told in a sequel or sequels.

Bless Mathews
11-02-2011, 01:36 AM
Much more important than all this, when is Bad Boys 3 coming out?

BwhahahahahHHahzhzhahajajajahsjajahahahahahahahahz hahzhahzhajaha

Post of the month nominee!

Bless Mathews
11-02-2011, 01:40 AM
500 mil profit? Unless the movie is very, very good, I'll be surprised if it can make that. Movie theatres take from 10 to 50% of the ticket price, and then there's production and marketing costs. Just to make 500 mil profit, the film will probably have to gross over a billion (assuming 80% goes to studio, so 800 mil, production costs are probably 200 mil, marketing maybe 100 mil, then down to 500 mil). Of course this is just wild guess work on my part :D

Yes it is a wild guess. TWO movies , taking in world wide at least 800 mil total, plus Dvd and blue ray sales, plus sales of gear, clothes, toys, etc minus cost of making and advertising ... yea plus 250 mil each is no problem.

L.Kizzle
11-02-2011, 01:41 AM
Will Smith, learn from some renascence men. Make your own studio, production company and shoot the movie yourself. You can put anyone in the film like your whole family. Sell it to a big studio and money, money, money.

Bless Mathews
11-02-2011, 01:44 AM

Nothing. Everything is relative. Someone making hundreds and hundreds of millions IS being greedy if they dont want to pay the franchise player what he is worth.

Premeditated
11-02-2011, 01:48 AM
Will Smith, learn from some renascence men. Make your own studio, production company and shoot the movie yourself. You can put anyone in the film like your whole family. Sell it to a big studio and money, money, money.
just like what Brad Pitt's been doing.

28renyoy
11-02-2011, 01:51 AM
most popular actor? absolutely not. but he does have a 40 million black fans that go to every movie he puts out.

ConanRulesNBC
11-02-2011, 01:52 AM
Nothing. Everything is relative. Someone making hundreds and hundreds of millions IS being greedy if they dont want to pay the franchise player what he is worth.

You can argue that way about pro sports. But movies are way different. You know how much it costs to make the movie, to hire the other actors, to pay the entire crew and in a movie like this to pay all the people who do all of the special effects? All of that money gets shared pretty much. Will Smith needs those people more than they need him. It is about equal when you're making movies. The actors need the directors, producers, writers, other actors, makeup crew, special effects crew, camera crew. No one is paying just to see Will Smith.

Getting $50 million for making what will probably be two sh*tty movies it just total BS.

28renyoy
11-02-2011, 01:53 AM
also, didn't tom cruise get like 100 million for war of the worlds :lol ?

L.Kizzle
11-02-2011, 01:54 AM
You can argue that way about pro sports. But movies are way different. You know how much it costs to make the movie, to hire the other actors, to pay the entire crew and in a movie like this to pay all the people who do all of the special effects? All of that money gets shared pretty much. Will Smith needs those people more than they need him. It is about equal when you're making movies. The actors need the directors, producers, writers, other actors, makeup crew, special effects crew, camera crew. No one is paying just to see Will Smith.

Getting $50 million for making what will probably be two sh*tty movies it just total BS.
Don't sport stars need a coach, GM, trainers, ect. They're looking into how much the film will gross also.

Premeditated
11-02-2011, 01:55 AM
most popular actor? absolutely not. but he does have a 40 million black fans that go to every movie he puts out.
lol @ this. You mad because Fresh Prince can do what ever he wants in Hollywood? This dude is literally the king of Hollywood. Hell, his kids are bigger movies stars than most actors.:roll:

How does that make you feel? There aren't even 40 million black people in America.:roll:
Willy has more white folks worshiping him. Black people just respect his pimping he does to these white studio executives.:roll:

28renyoy
11-02-2011, 01:55 AM
lol @ this. You mad because Fresh Prince can do what ever he wants in Hollywood? This dude is literally the king of Hollywood. Hell, his kids are bigger movies stars than most actors.:roll:

How does that make you feel? There aren't even 40 million black people in America.:roll:
Willy has more white folks worshiping him. Black people just respect his pimping he does to these white studio executives.:roll:

which is why you have white actors making 100~ million per movie and will smith can't even get 25 million

Premeditated
11-02-2011, 01:56 AM
also, didn't tom cruise get like 100 million for war of the worlds :lol ?
what's the point of this? I've already said Tom Cruise is the only person that can rival Prince in draw.

28renyoy
11-02-2011, 02:00 AM
what's the point of this? I've already said Tom Cruise is the only person that can rival Prince in draw.

Keanu Reeves made 260 million for the 3 matrix movies. Johnny Depp makes around 50 million for every movie he does

Bless Mathews
11-02-2011, 02:04 AM

Lol!!!

They Damn sure aint paying to go see a make up artist.

He is the main reason people go/will go see these movies. Compared to the hundreds and hundreds of millions of dollars the films have / obviously would make , 50 million is fair for two movies. Period. Point blank. No brainer. End of story. :facepalm

Premeditated
11-02-2011, 02:05 AM
Keanu Reeves made 260 million for the 3 matrix movies. Johnny Depp makes around 50 million for every movie he does
you are truly stupid aren't you. I'm talking about box office draw. He's the biggest biggest one, along with Tom Cruise.:roll:

ConanRulesNBC
11-02-2011, 02:10 AM
Lol!!!

They Damn sure aint paying to go see a make up artist.

He is the main reason people go/will go see these movies. Compared to the hundreds and hundreds of millions of dollars the films have / obviously would make , 50 million is fair for two movies. Period. Point blank. No brainer. End of story. :facepalm

They're going to see a movie, not just stare at a picture of Will Smith for 2 hours.

Also, don't give me that crap about how easily the other people can be replaced. You can't just replace a director/writer/producer, you can't just replace everyone who makes the movie. They're as equally as important as Will Smith.

Also, seriously who the f*ck needs $50 million for pretending to be some guy who fights fake aliens? Come on. That's just greed.

28renyoy
11-02-2011, 02:17 AM
you are truly stupid aren't you. I'm talking about box office draw. He's the biggest biggest one, along with Tom Cruise.:roll:

Are you insinuating that highest paid actor can't be extrapolated to highest grossing lead actor?

Premeditated
11-02-2011, 02:21 AM
Are you insinuating that highest paid actor can't be extrapolated to highest grossing lead actor?
are you saying that Keanu Reeves is a box office draw than Will Smith? I know you have deep loath for anything with more Melanin than you, but this is something you can't bullsh1t your way out of. You people pay to go see Will Smith. Who would have though, a kid from Philly who grew up as a rapper, but is the biggest movie star because white people love him.:roll: :roll: :roll:

28renyoy
11-02-2011, 02:38 AM
are you saying that Keanu Reeves is a box office draw than Will Smith? I know you have deep loath for anything with more Melanin than you, but this is something you can't bullsh1t your way out of. You people pay to go see Will Smith. Who would have though, a kid from Philly who grew up as a rapper, but is the biggest movie star because white people love him.:roll: :roll: :roll:

didn't you just admit tom cruise was a bigger box office draw? go listen to some more coon tunes

shadow
11-02-2011, 02:45 AM
50 mill for two films is high but not entirely unreasonable. That's 25 million per film, each of which is likely to gross 300 mill in US and maybe as much in international markets and then there is dvds and merchandise.

Premeditated
11-02-2011, 03:15 AM
didn't you just admit tom cruise was a bigger box office draw? go listen to some more coon tunes
maybe you should go back and read my post because I clearly said Tom Cruise is the only one that rival him. I never said he was a bigger draw. You know you say white people have a higher IQ, but you just aren't a good example. You lack real comprehension. Dumbass.

btw, you wouldn't say coon tunes to my face though, I tell you that.

28renyoy
11-02-2011, 03:18 AM
maybe you should go back and read my post because I clearly said Tom Cruise is the only one that rival him. I never said he was a bigger draw. You know you say white people have a higher IQ, but you just aren't a good example. You lack real comprehension. Dumbass.

btw, you wouldn't say coon tunes to my face though, I tell you that.

i'd just press charges for a hate crime and send you to jail, assuming you aren't in jail already

Premeditated
11-02-2011, 03:19 AM
i'd just press charges for a hate crime and send you to jail, assuming you aren't in jail already
just like the pucci you are.

JustinJDW
11-02-2011, 03:26 AM
What, so that's just 25 mil for each film? Doesn't he already make like 20-23 mil a film? That's nothing considering the two films combined are certain to rack in at least a solid billion. Shit the first one made over 800 mil. What the hell do the studios want? You think anyone wants to see any Independence Day sequels without Will?

Psh, pay the man, and you're guaranteed to make a small fortune. Yes, he's that much of the man. Guy literally brought in over a 150 million to a movie about nothing, just cause he headlined it. Pay da man!

El Kabong
11-02-2011, 03:26 AM
He was only making $10-$15 million in "salary" in those films. Made the rest in getting % of the box office gross.

Anyway, give Will Smith his $50 million, may as well, but god damn they'll have no chance of getting me to watch these things if they try and force feed me his kids again.

Bless Mathews
11-02-2011, 03:52 AM
Shout out to DJ Jazzy Jeff..inventor of the chirp scratch.

Without him, no fresh prince, no 25 million $ a movie.

I hope will don't forget about my man..

28renyoy
11-02-2011, 04:13 AM
just like the pucci you are.

you mad breh? lol @ getting butthurt over a word

typical

Out_In_Utah
11-02-2011, 04:15 AM

Wasn't it because the aliens hacked into human satellites, so the Americans put a virus in through their own technology? :confusedshrug:

Hotlantadude81
11-02-2011, 04:23 AM
Will Smith is WAY more of a movie star than he is an actor. Right now, almost anything he does is going to make money. But I don't believe time will be kind to Will. I really don't. One day people will tire of just accepting what is easily accessible and when and if that happens, guys like Will Smith will not be looked at in such a positive light.

Hotlantadude81
11-02-2011, 04:27 AM
Denzel is a great actor. :no:

Outside of a decent performance (That is overrated) he hasn't done anything of any real note in the last decade.

Hotlantadude81
11-02-2011, 04:31 AM
Bale took a backseat to Depp(Public Enemy) and Wahlberg(The Fighter) and these flicks were made after he was Batman.

Smith's only second billed flick since Independence Day was that golf flick with Matt Damon. Other than that flick, he's been top billed.

Fresh Prince is a muthafukking boss. Some white folks just can't accept that fact. :rolleyes:

Boss (When will these fad slag words end?) my ass. He's just like Adam Sandler. Both of which have built success in a time where people like the dumbest shit.

Oh, and Fresh Prince sucked ass. It's badly dated, terribly acted, cheesy, silly and lame as hell.

brownmamba00
11-02-2011, 05:39 AM
Oh, and Fresh Prince sucked ass. It's badly dated, terribly acted, cheesy, silly and lame as hell.

The fukk?

Hotlantadude81
11-02-2011, 05:53 AM
The fukk?

It's shit just like most sitcoms ever made.

Godzuki
11-02-2011, 08:31 AM
He was only making $10-$15 million in "salary" in those films. Made the rest in getting % of the box office gross.

Anyway, give Will Smith his $50 million, may as well, but god damn they'll have no chance of getting me to watch these things if they try and force feed me his kids again.

this. for how much i liked Independence Day if they have Will's kids in it or even Jada i'm boycotting it :mad: this shit ain't Predator...

Godzuki
11-02-2011, 08:36 AM
Shout out to DJ Jazzy Jeff..inventor of the chirp scratch.

Without him, no fresh prince, no 25 million $ a movie.

I hope will don't forget about my man..

he probably did...Will's sold out. he's boojie now and forgot where he came from. Jazzy Jeff is probably homeless.

Godzuki
11-02-2011, 08:39 AM

i never went to see Will Smith specifically in movies he did. it could've been anyone doing the movies he did and they'd be just as good. every Will Smith movie i ever watched was based on the movie being interesting, it had zero to do with Will Smith being in it.

in fact Hollywood makes these actors, they don't make Hollywood. it just goes to their heads when they're very fortunate to get the roles they did that gave them the stardom they got. Fukk Will Smith and his family :mad:

Godzuki
11-02-2011, 08:41 AM

maybe 20~ years ago...

raiderfan19
11-02-2011, 08:44 AM
Those of you concerned about jazz should know that hes still friends with smith, and that hes still successful. Hes also been involved with several of will smiths recent endeavors including the hancock opening and things of that ilk

Randy
11-02-2011, 08:50 AM
i never went to see Will Smith specifically in movies he did. it could've been anyone doing the movies he did and they'd be just as good. every Will Smith movie i ever watched was based on the movie being interesting, it had zero to do with Will Smith being in it.

in fact Hollywood makes these actors, they don't make Hollywood. it just goes to their heads when they're very fortunate to get the roles they did that gave them the stardom they got. Fukk Will Smith and his family :mad:

You have no idea what you are talking about. Please just shut the **** up before you embarrass yourself even more.

Godzuki
11-02-2011, 09:07 AM
You have no idea what you are talking about. Please just shut the **** up before you embarrass yourself even more.

why u so mad? :confusedshrug:

i swear u black dudes here are way too sensitive compared to everyone else. its like dealing with people with major complex's.

chill bro :pimp:

PS i at least make points unlike u. u sound just like that nerd lebowsky, only angry 2 cent attacks....u could put a lot of actors into the roles Will Smith got and they'd have become similarly famous. negga what?

psss feel free to neg me :cheers:

Premeditated
11-02-2011, 11:32 AM
I like how you stupid ass fakkits pretend like you know what's going on in these people personal lives. lol @ Jazz being homeless. Once again, you wouldn't be saying that if he was white. It is very well documented that Will is still friends with Jazzy. In fact he still keeps in touch with most of the cast from Fresh Prince is what is believed. Learn to realize that not everybody has the same mindset as you guys and maybe you all wouldn't be stuck in the same shit you are in. So Will Smith sold out because he wants to be in big movies and make as much money as he can? LOL @ sold out. Since when was Will Smith considered an elite actor? The guys first role was in one of the most popular sitcom of the 90s. What made you believe that he was going to take a career path of a Sean Penn of Phillip Seymour Hoffman. I swear you motherfukkas throw the "sold out" word more than the race card.

PowerGlove
11-02-2011, 11:41 AM
why u so mad? :confusedshrug:

i swear u black dudes here are way too sensitive compared to everyone else. its like dealing with people with major complex's.

chill bro :pimp:

PS i at least make points unlike u. u sound just like that nerd lebowsky, only angry 2 cent attacks....u could put a lot of actors into the roles Will Smith got and they'd have become similarly famous. negga what?

psss feel free to neg me :cheers:

Randy isnt even black.:roll: :roll:

PowerGlove
11-02-2011, 11:46 AM
The original raked in 817 million worldwide.

This one would do over a billion. I dont see why paying the main draw 50 million and putting his kids in there is such a big deal. They cant have the sequel without him and make that much money or even half of that, so the ball is in his court.

You dont even think. Hollywood didnt make Will Smith, dude was rapper moving units,winning grammy's, which led to the sitcom being made.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/9/9a/He%27s_the_DJ.jpg

Godzuki
11-02-2011, 12:05 PM
The original raked in 817 million worldwide.

This one would do over a billion. I dont see why paying the main draw 50 million and putting his kids in there is such a big deal. They cant have the sequel without him and make that much money or even half of that, so the ball is in his court.

You dont even think. Hollywood didnt make Will Smith, dude was rapper moving units,winning grammy's, which led to the sitcom being made.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/9/9a/He%27s_the_DJ.jpg

yeah but that has nothing to do with his movie star status commanding tens of millions...fact is a HUGE reason why he or any movie star in particular are so huge is they're cast in roles that make the masses of audience love them. its not because he's a rapper, or just because he's black, or because he's funny, or cut up. its him being put into movie roles that makes the audiences love him for playing those characters. to think Will Smith is solely or even predominantly responsible for his mass appeal and commanding that much money is short-sighted, especially when most fans of any actor tend to think of them as personalities within roles they've played, not the individual so much.

its like Frazier, people think of Kelsey Grammar as Frazier...he has a ton of fans because of that and his role on Cheers. Its not because he's some creepy looking balding old white dude, its based on the roles he's had thats made him so successful and marketed to so many who like him. the same can be said for most actors...getting the right role is everything in terms of mass exposure/love w/ the masses. and there are many a actors who are interchangable that could pull off roles others were successful with in their own ways....

and i think with more insight regularly than most people here. bet.

actually a great example of this is Arnie Schwartznegger. he was on top of the world at one point in being a sought after actor, and he could barely act. he was put into action roles that made him likable, tough, and became huge as a result of those roles more than him being him. they could've probably died Hulk Hogans hair brown and put him in those same roles with similar success...

Turkododo
11-02-2011, 12:46 PM
smh @ these movie studios producers trying to be greedy. The man alone in a action movie is gonna get you at least 200 mill. Add in the special affects and you set to get on hell of a payday yourself. Many, pay that boy his money. Will Smith is the most popular movie star in the world. Yes, I said it. He's bigger than Leo, Pitt, Damon, and Depp.

what are you smoking? leo, pitt, damon, and depp are easily bigger stars than will smith.

Premeditated
11-02-2011, 12:51 PM
what are you smoking? leo, pitt, damon, and depp are easily bigger stars than will smith.
They're better actors and I enjoy their movies more, but they aren't box offices draws like Will Smith.

ukplayer4
11-02-2011, 12:52 PM
im quite enjoying this thread, amist the race issues, misunderstandings about the film industry, strange assumptions and false data there are some interesting arguments from both sides.

carry on....

Timmy D for MVP
11-02-2011, 01:01 PM
Boss (When will these fad slag words end?) my ass. He's just like Adam Sandler. Both of which have built success in a time where people like the dumbest shit.

:roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:

Lebowsky
11-02-2011, 01:48 PM

:applause:

Premeditated
11-02-2011, 02:08 PM

nigguh

http://forums.projectcovo.com/images/smilies/sitdown.png

step_back
11-02-2011, 02:22 PM
The amount of money his films make $50 million is a fair price. I am however disappointed at yet another kicking of a dead horse from Hollywood. Seems we have at least 2 Alien invasion films each year!!

Maybe I'm becoming too pretentious, I can't enjoy these popcorn flicks anymore. All style no substance.

ukplayer4
11-02-2011, 02:51 PM
i have to say, in my opinion will smith is the biggest box office draw, thats a fair argument id say. damon(whilst a solid actor and big star) is not even comparable in terms of stardom. with pitt/depp and dicaprio i think its a debate if any of them are on the same level interms of pure box office draw. the thing that is so hard to distinguish here(but premeditated is doing it) is that the quality of your work has NO bearing on box office draw. infact as i have argued many many many times before being in good films and having integrity in your work as an actor to a degree can hurt your comercial appeal.

will smith is what he is, he does middle of the road will smith vehicles that have no ambition beyond what they are, he had a brief flutter with semi-real acting but that didnt last long at all. i suspect because in doing so he had some less comercially succesful films and also because you dont get paid a fraction of what you get from big studio garbage when you do real films. plenty of actors have worked for free on roles that have won the best actor oscar- thats the way it is. will smith wants no part in that, he wants to get paid, alot, which is counter productive to being a good actor. his persuit of hapiness/seven pounds phase also screamed "im doing this to try and grab some awards and therefore legitamcy and respect from my peers(what most actors want". all that is well and truly out the window now tho with the stacks of sequels he has now comitted to. he is what he is and tbh what he does is appealing, i can see what people(non film people) enjoy about will smith, hell every now and then i see him in something half decent and very much enjoy what he brings- i am legend being a good example.

Depp has made a career out of shunning the mainstream and became a bigger and bigger star in cult films that also ended up appealing to a broad audience- credit tim burton a lot for this. He never worked for big fees despite being one of the most respected biggest stars. He has worked for free on projects such as the wim wenders film- the title escapes me just now. Because he has never sort out big hollywood or big pay days he has done mostly very good films and was hugely popular(ironically) as a credible actor. That kinda blew up when he did the first pirates film but was acceptable since it was solid, yet with each sequel he has sold his sole more and more. The last film seemed to be the final blow with depp demanding 55 million- the most money ever paid to any actor up front(the biggest pay day tho was keanu reeves % cut on the matrix sequels- 85 mill for the 3rd film). It took that much to buy depps dignity because he knows how bad they are but I guess his mentality has changed and he just couldnt turn down that amount of money. In the film world there has been an anti johnny depp backlash of late. It has been brewing since he started to become more popular(post pirates 1) which I always felt was pathetic as imo he has arguably produced his best films immediately post pirates- sweeney todd/finding neverland. But audiences are fickle and seemed to feel he was loosing that cult appeal he had for so many years. Now tho I have to say with crapfests like the tourist and numerous pirates sequels depp is making shoddy decisions. I think some of this may be due to the fact that he isn't as stylised and 'kept' as the other three. I.e he makes his own choices when it comes to films.

Pitt has become a good actor of late, he was always in good films, well since the mid/late 90's anyway. Much of this can be attributed to the fact that he is also a huge star and brings in a lot at the box office. If you are a huge star and a solid actor than you have it made because even the good directors need to use you in order to get projects funded and I think pitt more so that anyone else has used this to his advantage. He always picks the bigger films that also have integrity and more and more he seems to be stretching himself as an actor and becoming better all the time. Each of pitts last major roles I have felt have been his best work to date. Especially tree of life which was again to me another leap for him, that maybe his first truly great performance. Of course this was in a terrence malick film so it means nothing commercially in fact I believe this is the area that can hurt and influence big stars like pitt into doing less quality work. If an audience go's to see tree of life because it is a brad pitt film what will they get? They will get a real film, not one that fulfils in anyway their want for a brad pitt vehicle. The effect of that is that they have less faith in brad pitt to provide them with what they want next time and maybe pass on his next film. Someone like pitt/dicaprio are very conscious of this and need to think carefully about the implications if they want to remain a megastar. But that is always the dilemma for these big stars that also have ability.

Dicaprio is quite comparable to pitt. He again uses his commercial clout to choose the biggest film roles that are being made by legitimate directors- a difficult thing to find in hollywood. Like pitt he manages this well(nolan/eastwood/fincher/scorsese etc, these are the film makers that excite film fans whilst also appealing to the masses). Dicaprio, perhaps more so than pitt is maintaining this fine balance but tbh this still isn't a real actors mentality. But at the same time in terms of quality hollywood leading men ofcourse dicaprio is terrific and has great screen presence. Again tho, I think dicaprio is very conscious of the fact that doing something like revolutionary road(i havent seen it and I hate mendes so im not defending this film) is not furthering his stardom. However for a mainstream actor he is furthering his credibility to some degree which I think hes very conscious of. In fact I think if leo was to ever step away from the big stuff we might see a truly great actor, if he isn't already that.

Depp/pitt/leo are closer to real actors, I.e functioning as artists that become a character, there is a lot that go's into acting beyond what you do on set and these three mostly accomplish it(pitt more so in recent years) Smith turns up and does will smith and serves his purpose and it isnt really anything that anyone would align with the concept of acting. People go to see will smith films with their preconceived notions and expectations of what will smith is going to be doing on screen and in all instances this is what he does without ever letting them down. It isnt acting but he provides what audiences want from him. There is no other film star that chooses his roles based on the amount of

DuMa
11-02-2011, 02:54 PM
will smith is not a great actor but he has his moments. Ali was a great film all around i thought

Godzuki
11-02-2011, 03:00 PM
Can you tell which other outlets Grammar's been successful in other than TV?

"to think Will Smith is solely or even predominantly responsible for his mass appeal" Yes, for most part, he is. Sure he's gotten luck on big projects like Independence Day and Men In Black series but he's been able to put himself in dramatic roles too. Ali, The Pursuit of Happiness, Bagger Vance(failed project), etc.

Successful rapper, had a hit TV show, had multiple summer blockbusters and a few critically acclaimed films. One of the biggest draws in Hollywood. How can you not give him any credit?

Arnold? well, big muscle action stars died in the late 90's once Jackie Chan, Jet Li and Jason Statham came along. The Rock might be the only big non-martial arts action star right now. But honestly, even Chan, Li or Rock isn't even that big. Nowadays it's most movie franchises. If you're part of a franchise, most likely you're a "star."

but my point was those roles aer what made him famous. it could just as well have been Jaimie Fox in those movies and he'd be the dude asking for 50 mill right now, and Will Smith on his own without getting those roles would be someone like LL Cool J playing borderline extra roles.....

and we might disagree but i believe there are tons of actors who could've played the roles Will Smith has and succeded.

Premeditated
11-02-2011, 03:08 PM
[QUOTE=ukplayer4]i have to say, in my opinion will smith is the biggest box office draw, thats a fair argument id say. damon(whilst a solid actor and big star) is not even comparable in terms of stardom. with pitt/depp and dicaprio i think its a debate if any of them are on the same level interms of pure box office draw. the thing that is so hard to distinguish here(but premeditated is doing it) is that the quality of your work has NO bearing on box office draw. infact as i have argued many many many times before being in good films and having integrity in your work as an actor to a degree can hurt your comercial appeal.

will smith is what he is, he does middle of the road will smith vehicles that have no ambition beyond what they are, he had a brief flutter with semi-real acting but that didnt last long at all. i suspect because in doing so he had some less comercially succesful films and also because you dont get paid a fraction of what you get from big studio garbage when you do real films. plenty of actors have worked for free on roles that have won the best actor oscar- thats the way it is. will smith wants no part in that, he wants to get paid, alot, which is counter productive to being a good actor. his persuit of hapiness/seven pounds phase also screamed "im doing this to try and grab some awards and therefore legitamcy and respect from my peers(what most actors want". all that is well and truly out the window now tho with the stacks of sequels he has now comitted to. he is what he is and tbh what he does is appealing, i can see what people(non film people) enjoy about will smith, hell every now and then i see him in something half decent and very much enjoy what he brings- i am legend being a good example.

Depp has made a career out of shunning the mainstream and became a bigger and bigger star in cult films that also ended up appealing to a broad audience- credit tim burton a lot for this. He never worked for big fees despite being one of the most respected biggest stars. He has worked for free on projects such as the wim wenders film- the title escapes me just now. Because he has never sort out big hollywood or big pay days he has done mostly very good films and was hugely popular(ironically) as a credible actor. That kinda blew up when he did the first pirates film but was acceptable since it was solid, yet with each sequel he has sold his sole more and more. The last film seemed to be the final blow with depp demanding 55 million- the most money ever paid to any actor up front(the biggest pay day tho was keanu reeves % cut on the matrix sequels- 85 mill for the 3rd film). It took that much to buy depps dignity because he knows how bad they are but I guess his mentality has changed and he just couldnt turn down that amount of money. In the film world there has been an anti johnny depp backlash of late. It has been brewing since he started to become more popular(post pirates 1) which I always felt was pathetic as imo he has arguably produced his best films immediately post pirates- sweeney todd/finding neverland. But audiences are fickle and seemed to feel he was loosing that cult appeal he had for so many years. Now tho I have to say with crapfests like the tourist and numerous pirates sequels depp is making shoddy decisions. I think some of this may be due to the fact that he isn't as stylised and 'kept' as the other three. I.e he makes his own choices when it comes to films.

Pitt has become a good actor of late, he was always in good films, well since the mid/late 90's anyway. Much of this can be attributed to the fact that he is also a huge star and brings in a lot at the box office. If you are a huge star and a solid actor than you have it made because even the good directors need to use you in order to get projects funded and I think pitt more so that anyone else has used this to his advantage. He always picks the bigger films that also have integrity and more and more he seems to be stretching himself as an actor and becoming better all the time. Each of pitts last major roles I have felt have been his best work to date. Especially tree of life which was again to me another leap for him, that maybe his first truly great performance. Of course this was in a terrence malick film so it means nothing commercially in fact I believe this is the area that can hurt and influence big stars like pitt into doing less quality work. If an audience go's to see tree of life because it is a brad pitt film what will they get? They will get a real film, not one that fulfils in anyway their want for a brad pitt vehicle. The effect of that is that they have less faith in brad pitt to provide them with what they want next time and maybe pass on his next film. Someone like pitt/dicaprio are very conscious of this and need to think carefully about the implications if they want to remain a megastar. But that is always the dilemma for these big stars that also have ability.

Dicaprio is quite comparable to pitt. He again uses his commercial clout to choose the biggest film roles that are being made by legitimate directors- a difficult thing to find in hollywood. Like pitt he manages this well(nolan/eastwood/fincher/scorsese etc, these are the film makers that excite film fans whilst also appealing to the masses). Dicaprio, perhaps more so than pitt is maintaining this fine balance but tbh this still isn't a real actors mentality. But at the same time in terms of quality hollywood leading men ofcourse dicaprio is terrific and has great screen presence. Again tho, I think dicaprio is very conscious of the fact that doing something like revolutionary road(i havent seen it and I hate mendes so im not defending this film) is not furthering his stardom. However for a mainstream actor he is furthering his credibility to some degree which I think hes very conscious of. In fact I think if leo was to ever step away from the big stuff we might see a truly great actor, if he isn't already that.

Depp/pitt/leo are closer to real actors, I.e functioning as artists that become a character, there is a lot that go's into acting beyond what you do on set and these three mostly accomplish it(pitt more so in recent years) Smith turns up and does will smith and serves his purpose and it isnt really anything that anyone would align with the concept of acting. People go to see will smith films with their preconceived notions and expectations of what will smith is going to be doing on screen and in all instances this is what he does without ever letting them down. It isnt acting but he provides what audiences want from him. There is no other film star that chooses his roles based on the amount of

ConanRulesNBC
11-02-2011, 03:18 PM
I gave up on Will Smith's career after I read he turned down the offer to star in Quentin Tarantino's new movie.

ConanRulesNBC
11-02-2011, 03:20 PM
Oh and for everyone arguing who's a bigger box office draw... that goes to Samuel L. Jackson. His movies have pulled in a total of $7.4 billion.

PowerGlove
11-02-2011, 03:23 PM
Oh and for everyone arguing who's a bigger box office draw... that goes to Samuel L. Jackson. His movies have pulled in a total of $7.4 billion.
Is this the same samuel l that has been in a million movies?

Premeditated
11-02-2011, 03:24 PM
I gave up on Will Smith's career after I read he turned down the offer to star in Quentin Tarantino's new movie.
Actually, I'm kind of happy he turned Django down. Maybe he wanted to let another black actor eat too. He can basically do what ever he wants. Now Jmie Foxx wasn't my choice, but I think he can pull it off.

Besides, Will Smith doesn't have that gritty look that requires for this character.

Premeditated
11-02-2011, 03:26 PM
yeah but we're talking about lead acting. A lot of those big time movies he's in, he's supporting. Although, he's been quite successful in drawing as a leading actor too.

PowerGlove
11-02-2011, 03:29 PM
yeah but we're talking about lead acting. A lot of those big time movies he's in, he's supporting. Although, he's been quite successful in drawing as a leading actor too.

Check this out....:oldlol:

http://boxofficemojo.com/people/?view=Actor&sort=sumgross&p=.htm

Randy
11-02-2011, 03:31 PM
Will Smith is the biggest "star" in Hollywood and the biggest box office draw. There is no arguing this, it is fact. Put Will Smith in a film and it will be financially successful.

Will Smith and his agent have planned this all along, he is even quoted as saying so. They intentionally choose big budget, effects heavy, popcorn entertainment. Smith is in it for one thing: $$. Money which means power and fame of course too. Art and performance are obviously less important factors for him.

raiderfan19
11-02-2011, 03:41 PM
http://www.grantland.com/story/_/id/671v6942/page/2/the-movie-star

Godzuki
11-02-2011, 03:50 PM
Yes, those roles did make him famous. They can make anybody famous. And yeah, tons of actors can take on most of Will's summer blockbuster films too, and do well. You're leaning towards the talent aspect of things, not really what we're talking about here. We talking about his popularity and box office draw. Anybody can make a name for themselves with a big hit film but only a select few can sustain and repeat that success. Will is only a handful of stars who can do that.

Didn't Jamie Foxx make a name for himself co-starring in Al, then Collateral with Cruise and finally his leading role in Ray? Yet where is he these days? He's become more of a character actor now. i.e. Valentine's Day and Horrible Bosses.

You wanna talk about roles making someone a big star actor, what about Keanu with The Matrix series? What has he ever done outside of that franchise in terms of commercial success?

Since 1996, only a handful of actors has been able to sustain the level of success Will has had. Leo, Pitt, Depp and that's probably it.

Hanks has done anything since Castaway(1999) and Cruise's big hit was Last Samurai/Collateral(2003).

no, my point was Will should be happy with what he has, instead of diva. i'm trivializing what some of u are propping in terms of how great he is and what he brings, he's fortunate to be in the position he is, he isn't Lebron in terms of being the only one in the world that can do those type of things....he's fortunate. it could just as well have been any other actor in those roles. Jaimie didn't take those same exact roles Will got, especially with those big budget action movies.

i like Will Smith as a actor, but i can't stand his his kids or Jada(she was alright in Menace2Society but hated her in matrix). and to see him demanding 50 mill and his family have roles in a movie sequel i liked, fukk him and his family :mad:

LJJ
11-02-2011, 04:13 PM
I'll do it for 40 million.

Premeditated
11-02-2011, 04:19 PM
You should look up what Cruise and other top name actors make per films and it's not just $20 mill per film either, they're taking in a good amount of % too. $50 million for two films isn't even outrageous considering he's likely to be a producer too.

Putting family members into films and production isn't something new. Look at Francis Coppola and his family tree. :oldlol:
I don't know why you're arguing with him on that. He's already stated that people from a poorer background shouldn't get paid the same as those from privilege backgrounds even if they are bringing in good results.:oldlol:

kentatm
11-02-2011, 05:28 PM
Putting family members into films and production isn't something new. Look at Francis Coppola and his family tree. :oldlol:

Nicolas Cage FTW!

Godzuki
11-02-2011, 05:33 PM
I don't know why you're arguing with him on that. He's already stated that people from a poorer background shouldn't get paid the same as those from privilege backgrounds even if they are bringing in good results.:oldlol:

u should reread what i said fool :rolleyes:

Scholar
11-02-2011, 05:41 PM
I'm either high as fukk or one of you f@gs said Castaway was made in 1999. :rofl:

Scholar
11-02-2011, 05:47 PM
I was one year off as it was released in 2000.

Technically, I was right since it was most likely in production(filming/being made) in 1999. :lol

The funny thing is that I would've been wrong, too. I thought the movie was released in 2003! :D

Premeditated
11-02-2011, 06:10 PM
u should reread what i said fool :rolleyes:

oh thats cool, yeah most of these black guys came from lesser income so yeah they should be more grateful. yeah i said it... if i came from the subrubs or already rich families i'd take being filthy rich for granted, but coming from the ghetto or low income it'd be like dying and going to heaven. oh thats right we're talking about this make believe world where every race is the exact same and there are just as many white people who come from the ghetto or low income as black people, right?

yup

Scholar
11-02-2011, 06:16 PM
So you're admitting you're high? :oldlol:

Letmeputitthisway: ;)

Godzuki
11-02-2011, 06:27 PM
yup

now quote what u typed i said :facepalm :facepalm :facepalm

Premeditated
11-02-2011, 06:35 PM
I don't need to quote it, I'll just retype it. You feel lower class people should be grateful in their position of wealth even if it mean they're still getting fukked over but you also feel that higher class people should fight for the money they deserve. :facepalm :facepalm :facepalm

Godzuki
11-02-2011, 07:04 PM
I don't need to quote it, I'll just retype it. You feel lower class people should be grateful in their position of wealth even if it mean they're still getting fukked over but you also feel that higher class people should fight for the money they deserve. :facepalm :facepalm :facepalm

lmao ure such a dumbass :facepalm

if u think someone is getting fukked over making 20 mill doing films i'd love to know what u make. ure probably cooking fries and handing out happy meals for minimum wage, and then talkin like Will Smith is getting robbed if he don't get his 50 mill. bet.

and for the record what i said is just common sense. its called appreciation, that someone who is spoiled with something doesn't have, but someone who is deprived of something will have that much more of a appreciation for it. btw ure momz a whore :pimp:

KingBeasley08
11-02-2011, 07:21 PM
I'd watch it. Pay the man.
this

Premeditated
11-02-2011, 07:27 PM
lmao ure such a dumbass :facepalm

if u think someone is getting fukked over making 20 mill doing films i'd love to know what u make. ure probably cooking fries and handing out happy meals for minimum wage, and then talkin like Will Smith is getting robbed if he don't get his 50 mill. bet.

and for the record what i said is just common sense. its called appreciation, that someone who is spoiled with something doesn't have, but someone who is deprived of something will have that much more of a appreciation for it. btw ure momz a whore :pimp:
The first Independence Day movie did 817 mil overall. And That was 16 years ago. If this sequel is to get made, you bet your ass it's easily doing over 1 billion. If a dufus like Keanu Reeves can make over 60 million for the Matrix, why is it insane for Will to ask for 50 million, when he 10 times the bigger star? You weren't b1tching when Cruise and Depp were making all that but your ignorant ass went into a b1tch tirade when it came to Will and you even went ahead and insulted his wife and kids, followed by you thinking Will came from a poor background because he's black.

My moms a whore? That was a good one. Honestly, this movie industry knowledge you're trying to pull isn't your thing, now go back to overdosing on your blunt.:lol

Premeditated
11-02-2011, 07:35 PM
You guys are taking this way too personally. What Will makes or does shouldn't effect your lives at all.

Grab a drink and chill.
no doubt, but this fool made it personal when he started saying how he sold out and left Jazzy homeless, started attacking his family and saying Will should be thankful that he came from a poor background (which isn't true), but people of higher class have the right to complain if they feel they aren't getting what they're worth.

Godzuki
11-02-2011, 07:41 PM
no doubt, but this fool made it personal when he started saying how he sold out and left Jazzy homeless, started attacking his family and saying Will should be thankful that he came from a poor background (which isn't true), but people of higher class have the right to complain if they feel they aren't getting what they're worth.

your dumbass still can't get what i said right :facepalm

nah what really happened is u got sensitive but ure one of them black dudes that can dish it but can't take it. and whats funny is ure sensitive over Will Smith :oldlol:

Premeditated
11-02-2011, 07:45 PM
your dumbass still can't get what i said right :facepalm

nah what really happened is u got sensitive but ure one of them black dudes that can dish it but can't take it. and whats funny is ure sensitive over Will Smith :oldlol:
this has less to do with Will Smith and more to do with your Bigotry. This isn't the first time you've said some slide sh1t either.

The_Yearning
11-02-2011, 07:57 PM
I can't believe people regard this guy as a good actor... his voice is too black guy ghetto. At least Denzel can mix up his voice.

Hotlantadude81
11-02-2011, 08:38 PM
Will Smith is the biggest "star" in Hollywood and the biggest box office draw. There is no arguing this, it is fact. Put Will Smith in a film and it will be financially successful.

Will Smith and his agent have planned this all along, he is even quoted as saying so. They intentionally choose big budget, effects heavy, popcorn entertainment. Smith is in it for one thing: $$. Money which means power and fame of course too. Art and performance are obviously less important factors for him.

Will Smith is basically bankrupt as far as being artistic goes. Truth is he could even have it both ways if he wanted. He could make lots of money and do more stuff that actually shows off some level of talent. Problem is that he just wants every dime he can get. And hey, you want to be rich ok. But a great actor he is not.

Godzuki
11-03-2011, 11:40 AM
this has less to do with Will Smith and more to do with your Bigotry. This isn't the first time you've said some slide sh1t either.

lmao @ u calliing me a bigot :facepalm

ure the one making all them white boy threads....

which i wouldn't really care about but i'm not going to let u play that double standard :blah

step_back
11-03-2011, 12:57 PM
You guys are taking this way too personally. What Will makes or does shouldn't effect your lives at all.

Grab a drink and chill.

Agreed. $50 mill $500 mill doesn't make any difference to me. Not my money.

Ohh and Keanu made more money in one film than any other actor. $85 million!!!! he got a % of profits from the matrix sequel. So infact if Will wants a flat fee of $50 million for a film that could generate close a billion it is actually a bloody good deal for the studio.

Remember this is a millionaire bartering with Billionaires.