PDA

View Full Version : Most down to earth/humble player stories?

mattvNJ
11-01-2011, 05:52 PM
With the recent news of KD playing in that pick up game of flag football its obvious the guy is loyal to the fans and has a good head on his shoulders... So with that being said heres my question, what other stories have u heard or been a part of with an NBA that showed those characteristics?

Post up your stories

nathanjizzle
11-01-2011, 06:02 PM
kenyon martin donated alot of money to the tsunami victims, and hes a big angry black man.

reppy
11-01-2011, 06:05 PM
I remember hearing a story about Martell Webster when he was a Blazer. He's out with a broken foot, it's snowy outside, he comes across someone trying to give a hand with a flat tire. He pulls over, with his foot still in a cast (if I'm correct), so he can give the person a hand.

Probably not as "sexy" as donating a million dollars to some cause, but I felt like it showed a lot about his character.

brisbaneman
11-01-2011, 06:07 PM
With the recent news of KD playing in that pick up game of flag football its obvious the guy is loyal to the fans and has a good head on his shoulders... So with that being said heres my question, what other stories have u heard or been a part of with an NBA that showed those characteristics?

Post up your stories

It's not humble if you broadcast it for the whole world. I'm getting sick of Durant's saccharine nature.

mattvNJ
11-01-2011, 06:09 PM
It's not humble if you broadcast it for the whole world. I'm getting sick of Durant's saccharine nature.

I guess your right but i mean he DM'd the kid, trying to keep it on the DL i suppose? But i see where your coming from with that one. Keep the stories coming.

millwad
11-01-2011, 06:15 PM

THIS.
People are so naive, it's just to get some publicity. Wow, the guy played some sport with a bunch of random guys..

I don't know how much Shaq cared about publicity when he did this but it was nice of him anyway; check this video where he talks about how he helped a paralegic kid: http://www.youtube.com/user/ESNEWS#p/search/20/Pxn6e9KefA4

JMT
11-01-2011, 06:19 PM
In 1972, Doug Collins out of Southern Illinois was the #1 pick in the NBA draft, going to the Sixers. I was 13 and a die hard Sixers fan. So die hard I bought a limited season ticket package (13 games maybe?) with my paper route money.

That Sixers team went on to become the worst team in NBA history, going 9-73, largely because Collins broke his foot shortly after the season began. They were so bad I couldn't give away that other ticket to games, and had to beg my bro-in-law to ride the train with me so my folks would let me go.

I was devastated that my favorite player got hurt, and wrote him a letter proclaiming myself his #1 fan. A couple weeks later, I got a package in the mail with a 6 page, hand written letter from Collins, starting off with "I didn't think I had any fans in Philadelphia." He included an autographed picture, and we continued to correspond for what is now almost 40 years. Can't count the dinners, family visits, etc over the years. A great guy who has never forgotten that kid who believed in him. It's a friendship that has grown and stood the test of time.

Think any current top pick responds personally to fan letters?

mattvNJ
11-01-2011, 06:21 PM
In 1972, Doug Collins out of Southern Illinois was the #1 pick in the NBA draft, going to the Sixers. I was 13 and a die hard Sixers fan. So die hard I bought a limited season ticket package (13 games maybe?) with my paper route money.

That Sixers team went on to become the worst team in NBA history, going 9-73, largely because Collins broke his foot shortly after the season began. They were so bad I couldn't give away that other ticket to games, and had to beg my bro-in-law to ride the train with me so my folks would let me go.

I was devastated that my favorite player got hurt, and wrote him a letter proclaiming myself his #1 fan. A couple weeks later, I got a package in the mail with a 6 page, hand written letter from Collins, starting off with "I didn't think I had any fans in Philadelphia." He included an autographed picture, and we continued to correspond for what is now almost 40 years. Can't count the dinners, family visits, etc over the years. A great guy who has never forgotten that kid who believed in him. It's a friendship that has grown and stood the test of time.

That is absolutely amazing.:applause: and I'm sure some do, but many clearly don't have the time with all the stuff going on in their lives with entering the league. Who knows. I was at a party with Kyrie up at a local college his brother attends. Pretty cool stuff.

ballerz
11-01-2011, 06:25 PM
I'm surprised no one has mentioned anything about samuel dalembert helping out in haiti with the earthquake and all

Locked_Up_Tonight
11-01-2011, 06:33 PM
Erick Dampier helped out the Mavs by packing his bags, emptying his Mav locker and joining the Miami Heat, and using up a roster space.

RobertdeMeijer
11-01-2011, 06:37 PM
I wish I could find out where I heard this and give a link or something, but this is what I remember:
Shaq once made fun of a trainer (or some other low-ranking job in the team), saying his car wasn't impressive. The guy was upset because he wasn't making millions a year like Shaq was. Shaq found out, felt really bad about this, and gave the guy a kick-ass 4x4.

nathanjizzle
11-01-2011, 09:40 PM

your famous. i heard the story about yall on the news.

The Macho Man
11-01-2011, 09:55 PM
This one time Wilt... wait, nevermind.

creepingdeath
11-01-2011, 10:03 PM
This one time Wilt... wait, nevermind.
http://www.vastaphonic.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/06/creepy-stare.gif

Heavincent
11-01-2011, 10:30 PM
Tracy McGrady signing my Magic jersey and having a conversation with me. Cool guy.

get these NETS
11-01-2011, 10:42 PM
I gave mean joe greene a coke and he gave me his jersey...

just joking..... players don't owe anything to anybody except regular common courtesy

this thread is indirectly about backhanded compliments...

ACCBaller1403
11-01-2011, 11:10 PM
Horace Grant when he was on the Bulls was at a local bakery in Deerfield, IL (where the Bulls practice facility was at the time...maybe still is?). I was 7 years old and a HUGE MJ fan but like most kids my age didn't really know the role players on the team, although to be fair to Horace he was no role player looking back.

Anyways, my dad told me to walk up to him and say "Great game last night, Mr. Grant." Horace said thanks, asked how old I was and what my name was, then asked when my bday was which happened to be a week later. He then bought me some ice cream for my bday and took a picture with me. Nicest athlete I've ever met.

John Paxson I met at a steak house in Chicago and he was also just a genuinely nice guy.

Also, Scottie Pippen's son, Antron, went to the same daycare as my sister. He would come in maybe once a month to pick his son up and all the kids would call him Michael Jordan. I happened to be there with my mom one time he came in and knew he was Scottie Pippen so I think he appreciated that. He signed my school notebook which was pretty awesome at the time.

On the other side of the coin, I met Andre Blatche at a Skins game and he was busy munching on a chili cheese dog (nice diet) and was too preoccupied with being a prick to bother with any fans. It's unfortunate because the three examples above I'll never forget even though I'm damn near 30. Just being nice to a kid can mean the world to him/her.

Miller for 3
11-01-2011, 11:21 PM
David Robinson was a good dude. He built like a 4 million dollar school in Texas iirc

IamSofaKing
11-01-2011, 11:47 PM
LeBron James charity bike ride

L8kersfan222
11-02-2011, 12:04 AM
People still saying durant is being insincere? Damn he must be trying very very very hard too look it, which is very down to earth/humble to me.

thatoneblackguy
11-02-2011, 12:23 AM
http://i.cdn.turner.com/sivault/multimedia/photo_gallery/1005/manute.bol.photos/images/DARFUR-RALLY.jpg

Manute Bol

R.I.P.

bballnoob1192
11-02-2011, 01:24 AM

well if you go by that then all televised charity event are BS and the only real nice things that people do are not seen on the media. then we really don't know anything that they do or do not do. so unless KD's family tells us he did something then he isnt a nice person? because everything he does is going to get televise

brisbaneman
11-02-2011, 01:59 AM
well if you go by that then all televised charity event are BS and the only real nice things that people do are not seen on the media. then we really don't know anything that they do or do not do. so unless KD's family tells us he did something then he isnt a nice person? because everything he does is going to get televise

i'm sure he's a decent guy but he reminds me of all the people in school who would do all the special interest/EC things for brownie points or would participate in the events that happened to be publicized.

AngelEyes
11-02-2011, 02:17 AM
In 1998 I was just a seven year old kid living carefree in Los Angeles with my family. Everything came crashing down when I was diagnosed with Leukemia in February. This was devastating to me and my family. My family had courtside seats at the forum that year and I was heartbroken that I wouldn't be able to attend any more games. Ever since he entered the league in 1996, Kobe Bryant was my favorite player. I thought he had the potential to be a truly great player. When I was sitting courtside during a game in Kobe's rookie year he even signed a basketball for me and posed for a photo with me. He was a class act. After I was diagnosed in early 98' I was terribly sad I would no longer be able to see Kobe in person, so I began writing him letter. To my shock and amazement Kobe responded. It was an amazing moment for me. After responding we regularly communicated via letter. It shocked me that such a superstar could be so empathetic. The biggest shock however came in July of that very year. To my amazement Kobe made a surprise visit at my house. Kobe was such a warm and friendly guy, it was unbelievable. That summer Kobe would drop by at my house every Tuesday and Thursday. On occasion he would even make dinner for me. His potato salad was to die for. Kobe also made the best damn jambalaya you've ever seen. Kobe would even tell me scary bed time stories and sometimes tuck me in. It was amazing what his presence and warm demeanor did for my health. I ended up making a full recovery and I am always deeply thankful towards Kobe for his part in my recovery. Kobe even paid my medical bills and never asked for anything in return. He never brought a camera crew or someone from a local newspaper. He wasn't about the attention or the praise, he was just about helping out and being a positive role model.

To anyone who doubts what a great guy Kobe is, this is a great example.

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_vHmjBZ73-BI/SLvkTzMoRJI/AAAAAAAAB44/OTp_yhC-EjM/s320/Kobe_Bryant_Mantoani.jpg

OmniStrife
11-02-2011, 02:25 AM
In 1998 I was just a seven year old kid living carefree in Los Angeles with my family. Everything came crashing down when I was diagnosed with Leukemia in February. This was devastating to me and my family. My family had courtside seats at the forum that year and I was heartbroken that I wouldn't be able to attend any more games. Ever since he entered the league in 1996, Kobe Bryant was my favorite player. I thought he had the potential to be a truly great player. When I was sitting courtside during a game in Kobe's rookie year he even signed a basketball for me and posed for a photo with me. He was a class act. After I was diagnosed in early 98' I was terribly sad I would no longer be able to see Kobe in person, so I began writing him letter. To my shock and amazement Kobe responded. It was an amazing moment for me. After responding we regularly communicated via letter. It shocked me that such a superstar could be so empathetic. The biggest shock however came in July of that very year. To my amazement Kobe made a surprise visit at my house. Kobe was such a warm and friendly guy, it was unbelievable. That summer Kobe would drop by at my house every Tuesday and Thursday. It was amazing what his presence and warm demeanor did for my health. I ended up making a full recovery and I am always deeply thankful towards Kobe for his part in my recovery. Kobe even paid my medical bills and never asked for anything in return. He never brought a camera crew or someone from a local newspaper. He wasn't about the attention or the praise, he was just about helping out and being a positive role model.

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_vHmjBZ73-BI/SLvkTzMoRJI/AAAAAAAAB44/OTp_yhC-EjM/s320/Kobe_Bryant_Mantoani.jpg

He probably was mad as hell when you didn't step up to publicly support him during his trial.

Premeditated
11-02-2011, 02:26 AM
In 1998 I was just a seven year old kid living carefree in Los Angeles with my family. Everything came crashing down when I was diagnosed with Leukemia in February. This was devastating to me and my family. My family had courtside seats at the forum that year and I was heartbroken that I wouldn't be able to attend any more games. Ever since he entered the league in 1996, Kobe Bryant was my favorite player. I thought he had the potential to be a truly great player. When I was sitting courtside during a game in Kobe's rookie year he even signed a basketball for me and posed for a photo with me. He was a class act. After I was diagnosed in early 98' I was terribly sad I would no longer be able to see Kobe in person, so I began writing him letter. To my shock and amazement Kobe responded. It was an amazing moment for me. After responding we regularly communicated via letter. It shocked me that such a superstar could be so empathetic. The biggest shock however came in July of that very year. To my amazement Kobe made a surprise visit at my house. Kobe was such a warm and friendly guy, it was unbelievable. That summer Kobe would drop by at my house every Tuesday and Thursday. It was amazing what his presence and warm demeanor did for my health. I ended up making a full recovery and I am always deeply thankful towards Kobe for his part in my recovery. Kobe even paid my medical bills and never asked for anything in return. He never brought a camera crew or someone from a local newspaper. He wasn't about the attention or the praise, he was just about helping out and being a positive role model.

what an great human being this guy is.

L8kersfan222
11-02-2011, 02:50 AM

:cry:

The Macho Man
11-02-2011, 02:59 AM
He probably was mad as hell when you didn't step up to publicly support him during his trial.

:oldlol:

Harison
11-02-2011, 03:18 AM

Thas an epic story, cudos! :cheers:

Cant argue with David Robinson and Manute Bol, those contributed to society more than majority of NBA players combined, and we know only a fraction of their works :applause:

Jacks3
11-02-2011, 03:23 AM
In 1998 I was just a seven year old kid living carefree in Los Angeles with my family. Everything came crashing down when I was diagnosed with Leukemia in February. This was devastating to me and my family. My family had courtside seats at the forum that year and I was heartbroken that I wouldn't be able to attend any more games. Ever since he entered the league in 1996, Kobe Bryant was my favorite player. I thought he had the potential to be a truly great player. When I was sitting courtside during a game in Kobe's rookie year he even signed a basketball for me and posed for a photo with me. He was a class act. After I was diagnosed in early 98' I was terribly sad I would no longer be able to see Kobe in person, so I began writing him letter. To my shock and amazement Kobe responded. It was an amazing moment for me. After responding we regularly communicated via letter. It shocked me that such a superstar could be so empathetic. The biggest shock however came in July of that very year. To my amazement Kobe made a surprise visit at my house. Kobe was such a warm and friendly guy, it was unbelievable. That summer Kobe would drop by at my house every Tuesday and Thursday. On occasion he would even make dinner for me. His potato salad was to die for. It was amazing what his presence and warm demeanor did for my health. I ended up making a full recovery and I am always deeply thankful towards Kobe for his part in my recovery. Kobe even paid my medical bills and never asked for anything in return. He never brought a camera crew or someone from a local newspaper. He wasn't about the attention or the praise, he was just about helping out and being a positive role model.

Godbe. :cry:

JMT
11-02-2011, 11:36 AM
your famous. i heard the story about yall on the news.

I don't believe so. Neither of us has ever looked for publicity out of our friendship.

Pointguard
11-02-2011, 12:27 PM
http://i.cdn.turner.com/sivault/multimedia/photo_gallery/1005/manute.bol.photos/images/DARFUR-RALLY.jpg

Manute Bol

R.I.P.
This. That special was great

Crown&Coke
11-02-2011, 12:58 PM
terrific thread.

say what you want about Shaq, but he always is looking out for the less fortunate. He does he Shaqaclause thing every year (with some legit toys like bikes and such, not those lame 99 cent store stuff), gives away turkeys for thanksgiving, etc.

chips93
11-02-2011, 02:12 PM
when derrick favors was at georgia tech, coaches noticed that his feet were all bloody, it turned out that the only socks that he had were the ones he received when he got to college. he had been to shy to ask for some more socks that he continued to waer these ratty old socks to the point that he had blisters and bleeding feet. not necessarily down to earth, but definitely humble, him being a top 5 recruit nationally, and he was too shy to ask for some new socks.

kenyon martin and bill walton have both contributed to the stuttering association of america, or some stuttering charity

shaq regulary paid for customers shopping at a local supermarket when he was in phoenix. people can say that he only does it for the attention, but regardless of his motivation, it helped a lot of people.

chris paul has asked a judge to free the men that robbed and beat his grandfather to death. this is really an amazing feat of compassion and forgiveness. not many people would be able to forgive someone for doing what those men did to his grandfather, to whom he was very close, let alone ask for them to be set free. he also scored 61 points in memory of his grandfather (his grandfather's age when he was killed) and stopped when he got 61 when he was within reach of the state record.

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/news/story?id=6436820

senelcoolidge
11-02-2011, 02:37 PM
Lebron throwing his sweaty socks in my face after a heat game. Takes a special guy to take off his shoes and socks and throw them at the fans. Thanks for the memories lebron and the smell that wouldn't leave for a few days.

TheMan
11-02-2011, 02:44 PM
LeBron James, he shares his greatness to us mere mortals...WITNESS!

Crown&Coke
11-02-2011, 02:49 PM
he also scored 61 points in memory of his grandfather (his grandfather's age when he was killed) and stopped when he got 61 when he was within reach of the state record.

I remember this, he was at the FT line for 2 and he had 60 pts. Made the first, intentionally missed the second and collapsed into his fathers arms in tears

Soultrane
11-02-2011, 03:49 PM
I remember this, he was at the FT line for 2 and he had 60 pts. Made the first, intentionally missed the second and collapsed into his fathers arms in tears

Almost. He had 59 points and then made an AND-1. He then purposely threw an air ball and indeed collapsed into his fathers arms.

Chris Paul is genuinely known as a decent person. He invited a kid who did the same thing for his momma, scoring somewhere in the 40 points I believe.

How many NBA players have a foundation nowadays?

Math2
11-02-2011, 04:10 PM

I hate Durant...He's such a fake. And he's overrated. I hate his play, and I don't like his play at all.

mountainmamba
11-02-2011, 04:19 PM
he also scored 61 points in memory of his grandfather (his grandfather's age when he was killed) and stopped when he got 61 when he was within reach of the state record.

Here's a mimi-special of this Chris paul story and footage of the actual game, him missing the FT on purpose and walking over to his dad. Great story.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IuMPVq2YzTk

iDunk
11-02-2011, 06:18 PM
Lebron throwing his sweaty socks in my face after a heat game. Takes a special guy to take off his shoes and socks and throw them at the fans. Thanks for the memories lebron and the smell that wouldn't leave for a few days.
http://i44.tinypic.com/335gvps.gif

LeFraud James
11-02-2011, 06:30 PM

:roll: :roll: :roll:

get these NETS
11-02-2011, 11:51 PM
didn't know that players had an obligation to be (publicly) humble..

chris paul story never sat right with me....I think life is more important than basketball... would have sat out for a few days to mourn...

manute and dikembe made tremendous contributions to their homelands...zo has made tremendous contributions to funding kidney disease research...

former net player let me dance with and feel up his girlfriend in a club once....thought that was nice of him..... true story...

Djax12
11-03-2011, 01:42 AM
This story only came out after Stockton retired I think.

Late in Stockton's career, Miller received a call from a general manager of his car dealership in Boulder, Colo.
"It was a friend-of-a-friend-of-a-friend deal," Miller said. "Maybe it was a shirt-tail relation thing, I don't remember. But this guy knew a girl - she was 16, I think - who was terminally ill. She had six months to live."
"Anyway," he continued, "she was a John Stockton fan and my general manager wondered if there was any way to get John to go see her. I told him, 'I don't know. That's a lot to ask. These guys have lives, too. But I'll ask.' "
Miller did as promised.

"John asked me two questions," he said. "No. 1, would there be any media there? I said, 'No.' No. 2, he asked if I would go with him. And I thought that was fair."

A few days later, Stockton and Miller drove to West Point, Utah, to visit the girl.
"John handled it so graciously," he said. "He was very comfortable. He greeted her by name, signed some things for her, held her hand. They chatted for about five minutes, which was all the little girl could take."

Two days later, Miller received a call from his employee in Colorado.
"I thought he was calling to say, 'Thanks a lot, I heard John was great,' " Miller said. "But instead he called to tell me she had died. . . . Now remember, they told us she had six months."

knickswin
11-03-2011, 02:21 AM
In 1998 I was just a seven year old kid living carefree in Los Angeles with my family. Everything came crashing down when I was diagnosed with Leukemia in February. This was devastating to me and my family. My family had courtside seats at the forum that year and I was heartbroken that I wouldn't be able to attend any more games. Ever since he entered the league in 1996, Kobe Bryant was my favorite player. I thought he had the potential to be a truly great player. When I was sitting courtside during a game in Kobe's rookie year he even signed a basketball for me and posed for a photo with me. He was a class act. After I was diagnosed in early 98' I was terribly sad I would no longer be able to see Kobe in person, so I began writing him letter. To my shock and amazement Kobe responded. It was an amazing moment for me. After responding we regularly communicated via letter. It shocked me that such a superstar could be so empathetic. The biggest shock however came in July of that very year. To my amazement Kobe made a surprise visit at my house. Kobe was such a warm and friendly guy, it was unbelievable. That summer Kobe would drop by at my house every Tuesday and Thursday. On occasion he would even make dinner for me. His potato salad was to die for. Kobe also made the best damn jambalaya you've ever seen. Kobe would even tell me scary bed time stories and sometimes tuck me in. It was amazing what his presence and warm demeanor did for my health. I ended up making a full recovery and I am always deeply thankful towards Kobe for his part in my recovery. Kobe even paid my medical bills and never asked for anything in return. He never brought a camera crew or someone from a local newspaper. He wasn't about the attention or the praise, he was just about helping out and being a positive role model.

this is a joke right? Cuz I started to laugh once you started talking about Kobe's jumbalaya and him tucking you in.

brisbaneman
11-03-2011, 02:25 AM
this is a joke right? Cuz I started to laugh once you started talking about Kobe's jumbalaya and him tucking you in.

Of course it's a joke.

eliteballer
11-03-2011, 02:26 AM
There's a difference between being arrogant on the basketball court and arrogant about life.

FlashDwyaneWade3
11-03-2011, 06:14 AM
Buck Harvey: Key witness for Bryant: Healing hand
San Antonio Express-News

His friends ask him how he can still root for Kobe Bryant, and he shrugs.

You weren't there, he says. You don't know.

You weren't wasting away two years ago, down to 106 pounds, coughing with nearly every breath because of cystic fibrosis. You didn't disconnect the IV bag above your head in Wilford Hall, then tuck the line under your tuxedo shirt, determined not to let this disease rob you of your high-school prom.

You didn't go out to eat with your friends that night, and the next thing you know, Bryant is shaking your hand and more.

Steve Tyson still roots for Bryant?

"I know it sounds corny," says his father, Steve Tyson senior. "But that event changed my son's life."

Young Steve isn't as dramatic as that. But one thing is certain. Fate changed for these men after they met two years ago.

Then both Bryant's game and image were never better. He was beating the Spurs again, on his way to his third-consecutive championship, when he stopped at Paesanos with his bodyguards between playoff games.

Sitting nearby was Tyson, then a senior at Marshall, with his high-school friends in tuxes and gowns. In contrast to Bryant, Tyson never felt worse. He'd gotten cabin fever after 28-consecutive days in the hospital, his longest stay ever, and he would have to return to his room that same night.

Then Tyson spotted Bryant. "I didn't want to bother him," Tyson said. "But if I didn't at least say hello, I would have been kicking myself forever."

So he walked over, stuck out his hand and Bryant responded as the old Kobe did. They talked for maybe 10 minutes, and that's something else a father loves about his son.

"He doesn't mind taking the bold step," said the older Tyson. "He's a beacon to people, always with a smile on his face. You'd never know there's something wrong with him."

Tyson's friends followed and lined up for pictures. Bryant patiently posed, and Tyson vividly remembers one exchange.

An older woman asked Bryant to sign a note to her daughter, and Bryant said he would, but that he couldn't use the word "love" in the message. That was saved for his wife.

"All the girls thought that was so sweet," Tyson said.

Tyson went back to the hospital where he called home with the exciting news. Hearing the joy in their son's voice, his parents cried.

"(Bryant) had no clue," Tyson's father said. "He was just being nice to a normal person."

The elder Tyson sent an e-mail to the Lakers to let them know how much Bryant had meant to the family. A Los Angeles Times reporter followed up and was the first to tell Bryant about the condition of the teenager he'd met in San Antonio.

"I have chills," Bryant said then. "I'm so happy I picked up his spirits. It's better than any game-winning shot I ever hit."

Bryant responded by sending Tyson the sneakers he wore when the Lakers eliminated the Spurs. Tyson keeps one above his television in his apartment in northwest San Antonio. He gave the other to his younger brother, a huge Spurs fan, with whom he can't even watch a Lakers-Spurs game because of the arguments.

"They don't look at the shoes," said the father, laughing, "the same way."

But then the shoes began to fit differently for everyone when Bryant was charged with sexual assault last summer. No matter what happened in a Colorado hotel room, Bryant's definition of the word "love" had changed.

How can anyone still root for Bryant?

"I say, 'If you met him, you'd root for him, too,'" Tyson said. "I still see him as a guy I met in a restaurant, personable, someone who didn't push anyone away."

His father takes that another step. "We've talked quite a bit about it. We can't speak to what he did or didn't do. We're not rooting one way or the other; we hope justice is done."

Then he took a deep breath. "We're just thankful for that moment in time. That was a critical point in my son's life. If you see the picture taken with Kobe two years ago, my son looks like a ghost. That day changed his attitude, and doctors tell you that with kids with cystic fibrosis, attitude is everything."

Danny Ferry knows the same. He lost a close friend to CF, and Ferry and his wife will co-chair a fundraiser walk on May 22 at Olmos Park.

"It's vicious," said Ferry. "To see the process of living that is involved — to see people start their morning with lung vibrators — it's understandable how people would get depressed. It can be so challenging to live."

Life expectancy for those with cystic fibrosis has extended to 30 years and more, and Steve is now 21. Both Ferry and the Steve's father are optimistic that CF research is on the cusp of more breakthroughs, and Steve hears the same.

"There's something new every two or three years," he said, "though it's hard to get too excited until there's something tangible."

So he lives on, with plans of beginning college this summer, maybe law school after that. "I don't know if (Bryant) made me realize I could do better," he said. "Maybe it was just meeting someone of that stature who goes through crap all day long, and could still be nice and outgoing and have fun."

He also says this of the new Bryant he's read about, the one who has distanced himself from nearly everyone: "If I get sick, that's all I think about it. I'm in crisis mode until I get my walking papers out of the hospital. I'm not comparing myself to him, but what he's going through has to affect him the same way."

Bryant had chills before? They should be there again.

On Sunday, Tyson was more concerned with Bryant's fourth-quarter mistakes. Friends came over to his apartment to watch the game and yell for the Spurs.

Weighing 50 pounds more than he did two years ago, feeling better than he can ever remember, with the sneaker still above the television, Tyson yelled himself hoarse rooting for Bryant.

http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/basketball/nba/stories/MYSA04.01D.COL_Harvey.901b2e01.html

Myth
11-03-2011, 06:23 AM
Most humble/down to earth MVP speech: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FVtZFAIhSU4

Go Getter
11-03-2011, 06:41 AM
Carlos Boozer heard my son talking about how tall he was in the barber shop and came over to talk to him...that's all I got.

Soultrane
11-03-2011, 07:31 AM
Rik Smits was the preliminary school friend of the husband of my niece. That's right! Apparently very cool kid when he was 8, if you'd like to know.

Also, Francisco Elson is deemed to be a pretty down to earth lad.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8YjQ53pFLYw

zeerghit
02-25-2019, 06:51 AM
https://www.reddit.com/r/nba/comments/augtxl/i_was_a_team_attendant_ballboy_in_the_nba_for/
i dont know how legit it is but some intresting stuff