PDA

View Full Version : Arkansas Judge William Adams Beats Child for using the Internet

Jameerthefear
11-01-2011, 08:47 PM
Kind of hard to watch. Dad went a little overboard imo. :(
http://www.puritube.com/v/Wl9y3SIPt7o
original link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wl9y3SIPt7o&

Bladers
11-01-2011, 08:54 PM
:roll: :roll:

Good whooping.. :cheers:

IF all parents did this . Kids won't be so messed up as they are these days.
I have taken worse than that and I'm fairly okay. :confusedshrug:

Jameerthefear
11-01-2011, 08:57 PM

dang. I'd hate to see your whippings :lol

RRR3
11-01-2011, 08:58 PM

:no:

Bladers
11-01-2011, 08:59 PM
dang. I'd hate to see your whippings :lol

computer power cords. shit was crazy... :lol

Bosnian Sajo
11-01-2011, 09:04 PM

I agree 100%, honestly that wasn't even that bad of a beating. It keeps you in line and not become a stuck up arrogant asshole(like almost all kids today), I hate parents who "compromise" with their kids and treat freaking elementary/middle school kids like they are adults..that will get them nowhere.

Now in no way do I support abuse, abuse is TOTALLY different, but that video? She broke a rule and her dad gave her a beating (one which will leave a mark for legit half a day, then be gone). Don't break the rules and everything will be fine.

Jameerthefear
11-01-2011, 09:06 PM
I agree 100%, honestly that wasn't even that bad of a beating. It keeps you in line and not become a stuck up arrogant asshole(like almost all kids today), I hate parents who "compromise" with their kids and treat freaking elementary/middle school kids like they are adults..that will get them nowhere.

Now in no way do I support abuse, abuse is TOTALLY different, but that video? She broke a rule and her dad gave her a beating (one which will leave a mark for legit half a day, then be gone). Don't break the rules and everything will be fine.
Yeah this.
I was pretty upset at first but it was probably because the screaming made me cringe.

Bladers
11-01-2011, 09:10 PM
but that video? She broke a rule and her dad gave her a beating (one which will leave a mark for legit half a day, then be gone). Don't break the rules and everything will be fine.

*After spanking her 13 times* "I never got my lick in on her..... get on ur fu*cking stomach!" :roll: :roll:

Dictator
11-01-2011, 09:17 PM
You guys above are sick and crazy. Abuse doesn't equal good behavior. Most abused kids either become antisocial or criminals. Most kids who don't get beat turn out to be actual good beings.

I can tell most of you guys are lying and were never abused at home. I was abused, this video brings up so many memories.

Jameerthefear
11-01-2011, 09:18 PM
You guys above are sick and crazy. Abuse doesn't equal good behavior. Most abused kids either become antisocial or criminals. Most kids who don't get beat turn out to be actual good beings.

I can tell most of you guys are lying and were never abused at home. I was abused, this video brings up so many memories.
Well it really depends on what you label as "abuse"

Skywalker
11-01-2011, 09:20 PM
she had some disorder you fckin retards you would beat a kid with a disorder?

Dictator
11-01-2011, 09:22 PM

Even without a disorder, this is unacceptable. Just for using the computer??? Goddamn, what if she gets in trouble at school, they'd probably kill her.

Jameerthefear
11-01-2011, 09:22 PM
What disorder? I was unaware.

Bosnian Sajo
11-01-2011, 09:23 PM

Like I said, being abused and getting punished are 2 totally different things. The OP said he beat her cause she went on the internet when he said not to, thus breaking a rule and being punished.

Skywalker saying she has a disorder is different, if she really does then its messed up...but if shes a regular kid, she broke a rule and got punished thats that lol.

Skywalker
11-01-2011, 09:25 PM
Even without a disorder, this is unacceptable. Just for using the computer??? Goddamn, what if she gets in trouble at school, they'd probably kill her.

it was for downloading pirated music and sh!t apparently

I can see puttin a whoopin on a normal delinquent kid for doing that after warning them, but this was a fcking girl with a disorder.

Skywalker
11-01-2011, 09:26 PM
What disorder? I was unaware.

it says in the description on youtube

Jameerthefear
11-01-2011, 09:26 PM
I had no idea she had a disorder...
I got this link from somewhere else and used puritube so I could watch it without logging in.

Dictator
11-01-2011, 09:27 PM
Like I said, being abused and getting punished are 2 totally different things. The OP said he beat her cause she went on the internet when he said not to, thus breaking a rule and being punished.

Skywalker saying she has a disorder is different, if she really does then its messed up...but if shes a regular kid, she broke a rule and got punished thats that lol.

I still abuse, dumbass. If I steal, that doesn't give my parents the right to slice my neck. America has laws, this isn't some country in Asia where you get your hands cuts off and public whippings. If she was really that bad, send her ass off or call the police.

Skywalker
11-01-2011, 09:28 PM
Low muscle tone and poor coordination of movements is described as ataxic cerebral palsy. Children with ataxic cerebral palsy look very unsteady and shaky. This rare form of cerebral palsy affects the sense of balance and depth perception. Affected persons often have poor coordination and walk unsteadily with a wide based gait, placing their feet unusually far apart. They have a lot of shakiness, like a tremor you might have seen in a very old person, especially when they are trying to handle or hold a small object such as a pen. Because of the shaky movements and problems coordinating their muscles, children with ataxic cerebral palsy may take longer than other children to complete certain tasks such as writing a sentence.

thats what she had

smdh

Bladers
11-01-2011, 09:28 PM

LOL @ u calling whats in that video abuse.
All is see is a belt, a butt and 16 strips to it. Which pratically doesn't hurt

Call me when you get whooped with an extension cord for an hours aim at your face for practically nothing.
Call me when your clothes are soaked in blood after a spanking.

Then you can cite the abuse card.

No Name
11-01-2011, 09:29 PM
pretty weak.. now if only i recorded my beatings :violin:

Skywalker
11-01-2011, 09:30 PM
All is see is a belt, a butt and 16 strips to it.

Call me when you get whooped with an extension cord for an hours aim at your face for practically nothing.

:facepalm :facepalm :facepalm

BLADERS UR ****ED

Dictator
11-01-2011, 09:32 PM
All is see is a belt, a butt and 16 strips to it.

I've had worse. First of all, the girl wasn' too big, looked about 13 or 14. Secondly, she had a disorder. And that's not abuse????????

Go beat the chit out of your kid like that, video tape it and show it to the police. Then go see if they decide whether or not that's abuse.

You're probably old, back in the day they really didn't have child abuse laws but now's different. I doubt you've ever been beaten though.

Bosnian Sajo
11-01-2011, 09:33 PM
I still abuse, dumbass. If I steal, that doesn't give my parents the right to slice my neck. America has laws, this isn't some country in Asia where you get your hands cuts off and public whippings. If she was really that bad, send her ass off or call the police.

No need for name calling, first off. Second since when is getting spanked with a belt = slicing your neck?

@sky: i didn't know she had a disorder, that changes everything.

Jameerthefear
11-01-2011, 09:34 PM
I've had worse. First of all, the girl wasn' too big, looked about 13 or 14. Secondly, she had a disorder. And that's not abuse????????

Go beat the chit out of your kid like that, video tape it and show it to the police. Then go see if they decide whether or not that's abuse.

You're probably old, back in the day they really didn't have child abuse laws but now's different. I doubt you've ever been beaten though.
She was 16

Dictator
11-01-2011, 09:35 PM
No need for name calling, first off. Second since when is getting spanked with a belt = slicing your neck?

@sky: i didn't know she had a disorder, that changes everything.

You said breaking a rule equals punshiment. Therefore if I didn't wash clothes when I was younger, my mom had the authority to break my neck.

Bosnian Sajo
11-01-2011, 09:38 PM
You said breaking a rule equals punshiment. Therefore if I didn't wash clothes when I was younger, my mom had the authority to break my neck.

Read my quote again:

Breaking a kids neck obviously falls into the abuse category, BELTING does not...

Jameerthefear
11-01-2011, 09:39 PM
Dictator there is a difference between breaking someone's neck and getting a whipping. :rolleyes:

Dictator
11-01-2011, 09:44 PM
Read my quote again:

Breaking a kids neck obviously falls into the abuse category, BELTING does not...

What you said, doesn't depend on the action.
What you said:

She broke a rule and her dad gave her a beating (one which will leave a mark for legit half a day, then be gone). Don't break the rules and everything will be fine.

Dictator
11-01-2011, 09:45 PM
Dictator there is a difference between breaking someone's neck and getting a whipping. :rolleyes:

Above.

Bosnian Sajo
11-01-2011, 09:47 PM
What you said, doesn't depend on the action.
What you said:

Common sense buddy. I got it. You on the other hand, don't.

Dictator
11-01-2011, 09:51 PM
Common sense buddy. I got it. You on the other hand, don't.

Can't deny what you wrote. No matter which way you try to change it. And facepalm, this isn't even a situation where common since is involved.

Bosnian Sajo
11-01-2011, 09:55 PM
Can't deny what you wrote. No matter which way you try to change it. And facepalm, this isn't even a situation where common since is involved.

Of course it is.

Dictator
11-01-2011, 09:57 PM
Of course it is.

So you accept beating disordered kids.........yall ****** these days......I wonder sometimes, I wonder........

Bosnian Sajo
11-01-2011, 09:58 PM
So you accept beating disordered kids.........yall ****** these days......I wonder sometimes, I wonder........

Yup, and in the meantime when not beating them we should rape them.

RRR3
11-01-2011, 09:58 PM

+1 :applause: Abuse is not the answer. Kids are gonna fight back eventually in many cases if you ask me. Sorry to hear you were abused, bro.

Dictator
11-01-2011, 10:00 PM
+1 :applause: Abuse is not the answer. Kids are gonna fight back eventually in many cases if you ask me. Sorry to hear you were abused, bro.

respect

RRR3
11-01-2011, 10:01 PM
respect
Would rep you if I could, but already did lol. It says I have to "spread it around" wtf is this shit? :lol
:cheers:

Oh and you ever find out who the girl in your avatar is? :D

Dictator
11-01-2011, 10:12 PM
Would rep you if I could, but already did lol. It says I have to "spread it around" wtf is this shit? :lol
:cheers:

Oh and you ever find out who the girl in your avatar is? :D

Mine keep saying the same thing........

Nawww but she find as fck tho. I'm bout to change it to Ida Ljungqvist.

RRR3
11-01-2011, 10:13 PM
Mine keep saying the same thing........

Nawww but she find as fck tho. I'm bout to change it to Ida Ljungqvist.
Ya she is. She mad cute. :cheers:

Dictator
11-01-2011, 10:16 PM
Ya she is. She mad cute. :cheers:

I know you're getting tired of Ida.

Bladers
11-01-2011, 10:16 PM

I'm 19. LOL
I started getting whooped since I could remember.
I don't say I was abused because abuse means you allow it to happen.
If you got severely injured or even injured from a beating, its because you allowed it.

I trained my self against the beatings. I was vigalante, aware of any upcoming beating, had escape routes. And even when I couldn't escape for a short period, I developed the skill of blocking every hit (whether it be a belt, cord, or a freaking rod. Now with an extension cord, even stoping the hits hurts plus you have to watch out for the whip-lash after the hit. I learned to protect my face, I learned evasive maneuvers to get out of corners and make a run for it.

Soon enough they caught on. And planned traps for me. But I was ahead of them. They would come when your sleeping. But me being vigalante, I would know ahead of time and would barricade my room for that night.

Even when I couldn't barricade. I developed an ability to detect whenever someone walks into my room when sleeping. So they could never catch me off guard, or ever get a direct hit on my face.

You learn to survive. You learn to take the licks and keep on ticking. Until you reach an age where you fight back (14 for me) and after that it stopped.

I remember the day vividly. I had my pocket knife ready and they had their extension cords. And I said "Lets battle it out, my knife or the extension cord which is more powerful?" :oldlol:

Ofcourse you would have to take preemptive measures ahead of time. Hide the rest of the knifes in the house. Make sure they don't have anything more powerful than a knife to fight back.

I did and I was set... Later on (around 16) I didn't need any objects anymore.
I used my fist as a deterant, and if they spontaneously slapped me. I'm slapping the shit outta them back.

Anyone who says they were abused is because they allowed it. You gotta learn to survive for a while so you can later on fight back.

All in all i came out very much okay. No permanent injuries (or injuries period!) or marks. Not one hit on my face. :cheers:

RRR3
11-01-2011, 10:18 PM
I know you're getting tired of Ida.
No, I'm not! Not at all actually. People just haven't been posting in my thread though. :cry: There are two great videos i posted in there though. You can bump it if you want :pimp:

Mamba
11-01-2011, 10:20 PM
ok so bladers is ****ed im not even going to comment on that.

but copping a good old whipping builds something into the brain. touch the computer means copping a whooping, not touching computer = getting dinner.

u may consider this abuse, i consider it character building.

no study to prove it, but i just believe kids who weren't beaten and there parents tried to reason with them = kids who just grow up snot-nosed and think they're untouchable.

my kids will be copping a beating for stupid shit, just like i did, and i thank my parents coz i turned out pretty ****ing great.

Dictator
11-01-2011, 10:21 PM
I'm 19. LOL
I started getting whooped since I could remember.
I don't say I was abused because abuse means you allow it to happen.

I trained my self against the beatings. I was vigalante, aware of any upcoming beating, had escape route. And even when I couldn't escape for a short period, I developed the skill of blocking every hit. Now with an extension cord, even stoping the hits hurts and then you have to watch out for the whiplash after the hit. I learned to protect my face, I learned evasive manuevers to get out of corners and make a run for it.

Soon enough they caught on. And planned traps for me. But I was ahead of them. They would come when your sleeping. But me being vigalante, I would know ahead of time and would barricade my room for that night.

Even when I couldn't barricade. I developed an ability to detect whenever someone walks into my room when sleeping. So they could never catch me off guard, or ever get a direct hit on my face.

You learn to survive. You learn to take the licks and keep on ticking. Until you reach an age where you fight back (14 for me) and after that it stopped.

I remember the day vividly. I had my pocket knife ready and they had their extension cords. And I said "Lets battle it out, my knife or the extension cord which is more powerful?" :oldlol:

Ofcourse you would have to take preemptive measures ahead of time. Hide the rest of the knifes in the house. Make sure they don't have anything more powerful than a knife to fight back.

I did and I was set... Later on (around 16) I didn't need any objects anymore.
I used my fist as a deterant, and if they spontaneously slapped me. I'm slapping the shit outta them back.

Anyone who says they were abused is because they allowed it. You gotta learn to survive for a while so you can later on fight back.

All in all i came out very much okay. No permanent injuries or marks. Not one hit on my face. :cheers:

You had it easy. It's pretty hard to defend yourself qwhen you six, and your mom breaks your arm when she feels like it. Or if your dad places the tip of his gun on your forehead and dares you to do something he doesn't like.

From what you wrote, your hardships came during your teenage life. Imagine being threatened with butcher knives at your throat at five years old.

Dasher
11-01-2011, 10:22 PM
Disorder or not this kid seems to have had it coming. Her disorder didn't stop her from setting up a camera to record her good old-fashioned American discipline. If she would have gotten on her stomach she would have probably gotten fewer lashes.

Dictator
11-01-2011, 10:24 PM
ok so bladers is ****ed im not even going to comment on that.

but copping a good old whipping builds something into the brain. touch the computer means copping a whooping, not touching computer = getting dinner.

u may consider this abuse, i consider it character building.

no study to prove it, but i just believe kids who weren't beaten and there parents tried to reason with them = kids who just grow up snot-nosed and think they're untouchable.

my kids will be copping a beating for stupid shit, just like i did, and i thank my parents coz i turned out pretty ****ing great.

So which is better arrogant good-living non criminally active kids
or
Pyschopathic, Criminal, Evil kids.

Being punished doesn't make a kid stop diong what they're doing, they just find other ways to do it without getting caught.

Jameerthefear
11-01-2011, 10:25 PM
ya'll n199as parents are crazy :lol

Bladers
11-01-2011, 10:27 PM
You had it easy. It's pretty hard to defend yourself qwhen you six, and your mom breaks your arm when she feels like it. Or if your dad places the tip of his gun on your forehead and dares you to do something he doesn't like.

From what you wrote, your hardships came during your teenage life. Imagine being threatened with butcher knives at your throat at five years old.

I said "I was getting serious whopping since I could remember..." That include all the way from five.

So yeah.

I also don't want to be disrespectful but I wish i was threatened with a gun or a knife instead of being beaten recklessly with an extension cord, a rod or anything they could get their hands on.

Now if you were held at gun point and were being beaten with an extension cord or a rod then that would be different.

Dictator
11-01-2011, 10:29 PM
I said "I was getting serious whopping since I could remember..." That include all the way from five.

So yeah.

I also don't want to be disrespectful but I wish i was threatened with a gun or a knife instead of being beaten recklessly with an extension cord, a rod or anything they could get their hands on.

No, I got whoppings most of the time but that was added on with it.

AirTupac
11-01-2011, 10:33 PM
She's 16 for fvck sakes. They act like shes 4. "Be mature and get on your stomach" I think the guy went a little overboard but I do think spankings and what not are acceptable.

AirTupac
11-01-2011, 10:35 PM
BTW is this Euroleague's dad?

Skywalker
11-01-2011, 10:35 PM
The guy got into a zone that is not safe for children to be around, you fools can pretend that wasn't a big deal but of course it was.

RRR3
11-01-2011, 10:36 PM
She's 16 for fvck sakes. They act like shes 4. "Be mature and get on your stomach" I think the guy went a little overboard but I do think spankings and what not are acceptable.
http://img29.imageshack.us/img29/7591/pacsmoking.gif

Meticode
11-01-2011, 10:37 PM
I have no problem with parents using belts, but he was like whipping her besides on her ass. When she was sitting on her butt he was flinging the belt hitting her in the side and shit. That's unacceptable. First, you control your child to make sure you can get the spanking on the ass, then pursure the spanking. Just don't wail the belt every which way just to cause pain.

I agree with this idea and punishment, but it was poorly executed.

Bladers
11-01-2011, 10:40 PM
No, I got whoppings most of the time but that was added on with it.

Well I think If I was in your place I still won't have let myself get abused. I would have survived in any way possible. I had times where I had to sleep outside or in the basement. Sometimes in the snow for a-couple of days.

You just got to do what you got to do. Your survival instincts kicks in and you know what you have to do and you do it. That includes shooting them if you have to as self defense. Again it goes back to NOT allowing them to assert control over you. Once you give them control, you may never get it back. Thankfully I never relinquished control and never submitted to their punishments.

And if the day you rise to fight back and they meet me with a gun. I would say "You shoot me and I die, you go to jail for a very long time and the rest of your lives are pretty much fcked" therefore a stale-mate or they deal with it and fck off and I win.

Dictator
11-01-2011, 10:46 PM
Well I think If I was in your place I still won't have let myself get abused. I would have survived in any way possible. I had times where I had to sleep outside or in the basement. Sometimes in the snow for a-couple of days.

You just got to do what you got to do. Your survival instincts kicks in and you know what you have to do and you do it. That includes shooting them if you have to as self defense. Again it goes back to NOT allowing them to assert control over you. Once you give them control, you may never get it back. Thankfully I never relinquished control and never submitted to their punishments.

And if the day you rise to fight back and they meet me with a gun. I would say "You shoot me and I die, you go to jail for a very long time and the rest of your lives are pretty much fcked" therefore a stale-mate or they deal with it and fck off and I win.

At 11 and under? Damn, you were super kid.

Dictator
11-01-2011, 10:47 PM
That was abuse there, not a spanking. :facepalm

I got a whooping as a kid but never with a belt.

I have never got one without a belt.........

Positive
11-01-2011, 10:48 PM
BTW is this Euroleague's dad?
:oldlol: I was just gonna say, that girl is Euroleague. That would explain just about everything.

"Get on your stomach, never say the NBA is better than the Euroleague again."

"Don't you ever take the lord Spanoulis's name in vein!"

Dictator
11-01-2011, 10:50 PM
"you turn over like a 16 year old and take it, like a grown woman."

Kinky

Seriously though, wouldn't this be more the type of discipline for a little kid because they don't understand reason, just teaches them not to do something again.

You can't really be like "act like a grown woman and let your father spank you"

You would rather this be a little kid?!?!?!?!

Dictator
11-01-2011, 10:51 PM
I got bamboo sticks instead.

Haha. You should ahve brought a panda to the house. But anyway, I'm never gonna hit my kids, unless there is an extreme reason to do so.

Bladers
11-01-2011, 10:55 PM

That doesn't sound right. Infact you should be steering far away from the methods of your parent. You should learn from them...not repeat what they did.

Spanking a kid with a belt is the last thing you should do. Democracy is the first, sanctions is the second. Take away their privileges, video games, tv, cell phone, allowance, stuff like that. Whooping should be the last thing on the table and should be used when your kids do something REALLY REALLY REALLY BAD. And even then, it should be done right with pro-cautions. It should hurt, but it should be quick. 5 belt good swings to the butt should do the trick, no point in dragging it out. Its should only be used as a remember not to do the thing.

It shouldn't be used as a weapon to demoralize a child or to assert power or influence over them. You don't want to turn your kids against you or make them afraid of you.

Dictator
11-01-2011, 10:55 PM
All of the "beatings" were from my mom and by the time I was 13-14 she stopped because she end up hurting her hands or wrist...or just get tired from it. :lol

My father was never around...a deadbeat. Yeah, there are Asian deadbeat dads out there too. :lol

Dang. Do you hate your mom or dad?

Dictator
11-01-2011, 10:56 PM
That doesn't sound right. Infact you should be steering far away from the methods of your parent. You should learn from them...not repeat what they did.

Spanking a kid with a belt is the last thing you should do. Democracy is the first, sanctions is the second. Take away their privileges, video games, tv, cell phone, allowance, stuff like that. Whooping should be the last thing on the table and should be used when your kids do something REALLY REALLY REALLY BAD. And even then, it should be done right with pro-cautions. It should hurt, but it should be quick. 5 belt good swings to the butt should do the trick, no point in dragging it out. Its should only be a remember not to do the thing again.

It should be used as a weapon to demoralize a child or to assert power or influence over them. You don't want to turn your kids against you or make them afraid of you.

+1 Now this an acceptable post.

iamgine
11-01-2011, 11:07 PM
Is it acceptable that I get a boner watching this vid?

But seriously, this is exactly how I'm gonna discipline my kids. Well, minus the obscenities.

PowerGlove
11-01-2011, 11:09 PM
white people and their belts...

Bladers
11-01-2011, 11:14 PM
Is it acceptable that I get a boner watching this vid?

But seriously, this is exactly how I'm gonna discipline my kids. Well, minus the obscenities.

Did u shuffle one off? :wtf: You sick Bastard!!!

Rake2204
11-01-2011, 11:41 PM
It's interesting to read how some of these discipline methods seem to be cyclical amongst the posters here i.e. the "That's how I was raised and that's how I'm going to raise my kids" angle. I would have thought people with a history of being abused would want to do whatever they could not to impart such horror upon someone else, particularly someone they loved.

Personally (and obviously), I don't think all children who are abused end up with mental issues or criminal futures. Further, I most certainly don't believe children who weren't abused always end up as stuck up or too good or spoiled or whatever else. With all that said, I have a hard time believing physical abuse or punishment is the most effective discipline method. I can't imagine having to live in fear of being beaten or whipped for doing something wrong.

My feeling is, if beatings were such an effective strategy, shouldn't most kids experience only a single beating (or at least just one beating for each one thing they've done wrong)? By that I mean, if a kid is beaten for eating candy before dinner, would a beating make that single action never happen again? I believe in most cases the answer is no, because kids will act up no matter what. I'd rather just go with the consequences that don't involve beating my child.

I feel sad for what a lot of you had to go through as youngsters. Though, I'm happy you guys were able to get through it. In stark contrast, I remember being afraid of getting yelled at by certain people in my life for doing things I wasn't supposed to. Yelling, as you know, isn't as bad as being beaten. And yet, I remember the fear I lived in of the berating I was going to receive for whatever it was I did wrong at a particular moment. So, through my logic, if I was afraid of being yelled at a few times in my life, I have to imagine living in fear of being beaten had to be 2038423048 times worse. And experiencing that fear and feeling is not healthy, in my opinion. I don't think that builds character at all. I mean, I suppose it could, but I wouldn't say "a good beatin'" is something I'd put on my list of sure fire character builders.

I can't imagine what it'd be like to cross that line with my children where I feel it's okay to beat them into submission, or to whup them with a belt. I know it's old school and I know I've known folks who've operated under that frame of reasoning and discipline. But the thought of being that guy is just horrific. There's so many other ways to go. And there's no coming back from a beating. If I beat my kids one time, I feel there'd be such resentment, fear and anger that'd be forever present on both sides, for life. It'd just be unimaginable.

iamgine
11-02-2011, 12:04 AM
It's interesting to read how some of these discipline methods seem to be cyclical amongst the posters here i.e. the "That's how I was raised and that's how I'm going to raise my kids" angle. I would have thought people with a history of being abused would want to do whatever they could not to impart such horror upon someone else, particularly someone they loved.

Personally (and obviously), I don't think all children who are abused end up with mental issues or criminal futures. Further, I most certainly don't believe children who weren't abused always end up as stuck up or too good or spoiled or whatever else. With all that said, I have a hard time believing physical abuse or punishment is the most effective discipline method. I can't imagine having to live in fear of being beaten or whipped for doing something wrong.

My feeling is, if beatings were such an effective strategy, shouldn't most kids experience only a single beating (or at least just one beating for each one thing they've done wrong)? By that I mean, if a kid is beaten for eating candy before dinner, would a beating make that single action never happen again? I believe in most cases the answer is no, because kids will act up no matter what. I'd rather just go with the consequences that don't involve beating my child.

I feel sad for what a lot of you had to go through as youngsters. Though, I'm happy you guys were able to get through it. In stark contrast, I remember being afraid of getting yelled at by certain people in my life for doing things I wasn't supposed to. Yelling, as you know, isn't as bad as being beaten. And yet, I remember the fear I lived in of the berating I was going to receive for whatever it was I did wrong at a particular moment. So, through my logic, if I was afraid of being yelled at a few times in my life, I have to imagine living in fear of being beaten had to be 2038423048 times worse. And experiencing that fear and feeling is not healthy, in my opinion. I don't think that builds character at all. I mean, I suppose it could, but I wouldn't say "a good beatin'" is something I'd put on my list of sure fire character builders.

I can't imagine what it'd be like to cross that line with my children where I feel it's okay to beat them into submission, or to whup them with a belt. I know it's old school and I know I've known folks who've operated under that frame of reasoning and discipline. But the thought of being that guy is just horrific. There's so many other ways to go. And there's no coming back from a beating. If I beat my kids one time, I feel there'd be such resentment, fear and anger that'd be forever present on both sides, for life. It'd just be unimaginable.
What kind of beating are you talking about? We're not talking about severe beating here, just a belt slap to the butt. It hurts for a week at most. Of course, kids will be kids and they would need reminders time and again.

Of course, there's the right and wrong way to handle beating so it doesn't become abuse. Just like there's the right and wrong way to handle yelling. Yelling can be very damaging if done incorrectly. Words are far more powerful than fist. We just need to be wise about it.

vinsane01
11-02-2011, 12:52 AM
She is 16 years old! Is beating the proper way to induce the wanted attitude desired by the parents? Or is rationalization through proper 'parent to adolescent offspring' conversation the better way? Of course it should be the latter. She should know what's up already. She had mostly passed the level of morality shown by toddlers to school age children; and most importantly she can use logical reasoning; the capability to comprehend abstract thought.

Such disciplinary action might be necessary (less impact ofcourse and obviously omission of obscenities is a must) for pre-school/school age children whose actions are based on what garners more reward and less punishment; and not necessarily on what is right and wrong. This girl has surely passed that phase.

Im not saying spanking is always acceptable; ofcourse not. A LOT of factors needs to be considered. In this case, i dont think it was necessary. It's a SIXTEEN year old girl, with ataxic cerebral palsy, who played video games against her parents will for fcks sake. I dont know how you could possibly rationalize that. If anything they should encourage her to use the computer since it may strengthen her fine motor movement.