PDA

View Full Version : 2003 Western Conference Finals...

catch24
11-04-2011, 05:51 PM
Game 1 (http://www.youtube.com/user/ShaqAttack71#p/search/8/u2QJB6EtUgM)
Game 3 (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=medm2E9EmCk&feature=channel_video_title)

Just got finished watching both games (kudos to ShaqAttack; your hard work is appreciated man), and totally forgot about Dirk's injury near the end of Game 3--he never returned that series. Had he been at full-strength, could the Mavs of upset SA? I mean, they still held their own without Dirk winning another game before being eliminated. Games 3 and 4 were pretty close considering...

At the time, after LAL was eliminated by SA, I saw maybe 3 games the rest of playoffs. Re-watching this series/both teams (and Dirk's monster Gm 1), I think it's plausible. Going the full 7 isn't out of the question imo.

DMAVS41
11-04-2011, 05:56 PM
not sure.

although i do know i wouldn't bet against Dirk in a game 7. if it had gone 7...i think the Mavs win.

Rekindled
11-04-2011, 05:59 PM
the mavs still could have won that, but they let steve kerr go for for like 5 threes in a quarter or something like that in game 6

SALFORD-RED
11-04-2011, 06:57 PM
Yeah thanks shaq attack I watched game 1 last saturday.

SCdac
11-04-2011, 07:54 PM
Obviously, anything could have happened. Mavs were a great team, Finley and Nash (AS, All-NBA) could take over games in their own right, but I think the Spurs probably take it even with Dirk playing.

Leading up to this, Dirk's record against the Spurs (in games TD played):

6-12 in the RS (99-03)
1-4 in the PO's (01)

Spurs after the All Star break in 2003:

26-6
11 game win-streak in the finals weeks of season

Keep in mind, Duncan was in beast mode in that 03 playoff run, basically a quarter back at the PF position, and the Spurs as a team were relatively deep, just lacking real solidified all-stars.

The Spurs were a better, more battle-tested, defensive team than the Mavs IMO. They were holding teams to 90 points a game in the regular season, had some veterans and hungry young players.

Leading up to this SAS-DAL series, the Spurs held prime Shaq to two points below his RS average on worse shooting, and forced him and Kobe into a combined 7 turnovers a game. Somebody finally beat those Lakers after 3 seasons... As far as the series still being competitive after Dirk went down, I think that happens alot in basketball, teammates stepping up and playing at levels maybe they wouldn't normally play to compensate because in the NBA everybody is talented. Does it mean they would be playing the same if [injured best player] was in the game? who knows. nobody really knows. The Mavs didnt get out of the second round the next two seasons, while the Spurs lost to the Lakers via Fishers 0.4 shot, then the season after won a championship beating the defending champion Pistons. It wouldn't be unreasonable to think the Spurs still win, given what we know.

ShaqAttack3234
11-04-2011, 08:18 PM
Thanks, glad you enjoy the game. Will upload a few more from that series eventually.

I wouldn't bet against Duncan that year, he was just dominant that season/playoffs. Especially his defense.

But Dirk was becoming one of the best players in the game, Nash was one of the best point guards in the game(made all-nba 3rd team), Finley was an all-star caliber swingman, Van Exel actually had some huge games in the playoffs.

The team was loaded with a ridiculous amount of offensive firepower. More talented than the '06 or '11 Mavs.

I still see the Spurs winning, but I've wondered about this myself. As well as what the Kings would've done if not for Webber's injury.

Mr Know It All
11-04-2011, 08:29 PM
I think the series goes 7 if Dirk doesn't get injured. I don't know who would win, my heart says the Mavericks would pull it out behind game 7 heroics from Dirk and many of the other playmakers on that old Mavs team, but my head says Duncan would dominate and team defense would prevail.

Either way, this was an underrated series IMO. Game 1 was one of the most fun games I've ever witnessed, the Dirk Duncan duel was similar to their game 7 duel in 2006 which was also epic. People always talked about Garnett-Duncan back then, but Duncan-Dirk provided the most drama and was way more fun to watch to me.

Boston C's
11-04-2011, 11:39 PM
Thanks, glad you enjoy the game. Will upload a few more from that series eventually.

I wouldn't bet against Duncan that year, he was just dominant that season/playoffs. Especially his defense.

But Dirk was becoming one of the best players in the game, Nash was one of the best point guards in the game(made all-nba 3rd team), Finley was an all-star caliber swingman, Van Exel actually had some huge games in the playoffs.

The team was loaded with a ridiculous amount of offensive firepower. More talented than the '06 or '11 Mavs.

I still see the Spurs winning, but I've wondered about this myself. As well as what the Kings would've done if not for Webber's injury.

hey shaq you have any sonics or suns games from the 05 playoffs by any chance (more so seattle) loved watching those 2 teams play in the playoffs

FF1
11-05-2011, 12:35 AM
Man.. Back when Dirk looked like Shaggy from Scooby Doo.

Finley was such a boss.

brisbaneman
11-05-2011, 04:42 AM
Dirk completely matched Duncan through 2.5 games that series...Duncan is so massively overrated on here...people always forget the Spurs BARELY beat a dirk-less team and it was steve kerr (and sure as hell not Duncan) who put the Mavs away.

Duncan21formvp
11-07-2011, 02:46 PM
Imagine a Dallas vs NJ finals that year, who would have won?

SourGrapes
11-07-2011, 03:20 PM
Dirk completely matched Duncan through 2.5 games that series...Duncan is so massively overrated on here...people always forget the Spurs BARELY beat a dirk-less team and it was steve kerr (and sure as hell not Duncan) who put the Mavs away.

do you really believe this? the spurs without a prime duncan are basically the spurs now

AlexanderRight
11-07-2011, 03:36 PM
the mavs still could have won that, but they let steve kerr go for for like 5 threes in a quarter or something like that in game 6

I remember watching that live and just going apeshit. :roll:

rmt
11-07-2011, 04:13 PM

And who do you think they were doubling to leave Steve Kerr wiiiiiiiiiide open for those 3s - averaging 6 assists that series? Duncan was a beast on both ends (unlike Dirk) of the court in 03.

Bigsmoke
11-07-2011, 07:23 PM
Imagine a Dallas vs NJ finals that year, who would have won?

which team in the West would lose to the Nets?

brisbaneman
11-07-2011, 07:25 PM
do you really believe this? the spurs without a prime duncan are basically the spurs now

yeah and a young dirk was basically his equal. then again the mavs played out of their minds in game 1.

i think it would have went 7 with the spurs winning.

Bigsmoke
11-07-2011, 07:28 PM
I remember when Nash flat out took over that bitch in the second half of game 5 :bowdown:

raptorfan_dr07
11-07-2011, 09:33 PM
yeah and a young dirk was basically his equal. then again the mavs played out of their minds in game 1.

i think it would have went 7 with the spurs winning.

Nope, in no universe was Dirk ever Duncan's equal. Old, creaky knees Duncan of today STILL has more impact defensively than Dirk ever has. Dirk is the one starting to get massively overrated around here after this past year.

FF1
11-08-2011, 12:06 AM
Nope, in no universe was Dirk ever Duncan's equal. Old, creaky knees Duncan of today STILL has more impact defensively than Dirk ever has. Dirk is the one starting to get massively overrated around here after this past year.

Wait.. You think Duncan is still a better basketball player than Dirk? Like.. Today?

Nowitness
08-08-2014, 11:56 AM
, but can I pose something? The Mavs got slightly better in this matchup when Dirk went down.

Duncan was owning his soul through 3 games {(look at stats). Nelly stupidly had Dirk guarding him and it just didn't work. Then when he went down, Nelly had to put Najera onDuncan, who played him very well. in fact, Duncan struggled against him. Finley got much better in the last few games.

Okay, they didn't get better, but they didn't getmuch worse.