PDA

View Full Version : Prime Michael Jordan vs. Prime Hakeem Olajuwon in a 1 on 1 game

Lebron23
11-07-2011, 01:28 AM
Who do you think wins?

G-train
11-07-2011, 01:30 AM
Who do you think wins?

Give me a season for each player to judge with... ie 93 Jordan vs 94 Hakeem or whatever.

Lebron23
11-07-2011, 01:31 AM
Give me a season for each player to judge with... ie 93 Jordan vs 94 Hakeem or whatever.

91-93 Michael Jordan vs. 1994-1995 Hakeem Olajuwon

G-train
11-07-2011, 01:32 AM
91-93 Michael Jordan vs. 1994-1995 Hakeem Olajuwon

Halfcourt, full court, quarter court?

Mr. I'm So Rad
11-07-2011, 01:33 AM
Obviously Jordan :facepalm

Lebron23
11-07-2011, 01:33 AM
Halfcourt, full court, quarter court?

Half court game

G-train
11-07-2011, 01:35 AM
Half court game

Most likely Jordan, definitely Jordan if his shot is falling. quarter court Hakeem would be hard to beat.
Especially if you had of said 91-92 Hakeem, who was a bit faster than 94-95 hakeem.

andgar923
11-07-2011, 02:35 AM
I dunno, this could be close.

This came come down to who has the first and last possession of the game.

OmniStrife
11-07-2011, 02:41 AM
I don't see how they can stop each other from scoring actually.

Harison
11-07-2011, 03:07 AM
I don't see how they can stop each other from scoring actually.
This.

Kblaze8855
11-07-2011, 03:17 AM
NBA players are good. Even the average ones. Scott Burrell is said to have almost beat MJ one on one. So you think its never been done? Of course it has. Hakeem? With his size advantage and skills? In a halfcourt setting?

Playing to win most great bigmen would have the edge over even the greatest swingmen.

Make it take it half court ball?

There is a reason Bob Lanier won the NBA one on one contest back in the day and not one of the guards.

noob cake
11-07-2011, 03:22 AM
Hakeem would win.

Jordan has to beat The Dream off the dribble every single possession or else there is no way that he could make all his jumpers.

Hakeem could post up a 6'6" SG all day long and shoot like 90%+

bdreason
11-07-2011, 03:35 AM
I'd take MJ easily. Hakeem had good handles for his size, but MJ is going to rip him on the perimeter a few times.

Of course, a bad shooting game and MJ could be in trouble. I just see it being difficult for Hakeem to constantly clear the ball with MJ on his ass.

Go Getter
11-07-2011, 03:51 AM
I'd take MJ easily. Hakeem had good handles for his size, but MJ is going to rip him on the perimeter a few times.

Of course, a bad shooting game and MJ could be in trouble. I just see it being difficult for Hakeem to constantly clear the ball with MJ on his ass.
But Hakeem would basically back him down the whole way to the hoop. If Jordan reaches he can pivot and lean in for a shot pretty easily.

This is a tough one for me.

9erEmpire
11-07-2011, 04:43 AM
Hakeem.

All Hakeem has to do is post MJ all the way down and if MJ reaches for a steal, all Hakeem has to do is spin towards the basket.

The same goes for Hakeem clearing the ball, just use your body as a shield.

Centers are not as bad handling the ball as most like to think......

Shaq vs MJ

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YBOyRGHkPL0

Just imagine if Shaq took it serious, he would hurt MJ and we Know what Hakeem did to Shaq.

iamgine
11-07-2011, 06:18 AM
Hakeem is the clear winner but he'd have to play a boring game of posting up.

We don't need Hakeem, even Mark Eaton would win with that technique.

Asukal
11-07-2011, 06:23 AM
It goes either way, they both can't stop each other from scoring. So who's shot is falling will win. :banana:

Inactive
11-07-2011, 08:38 AM
Hakeem is more likely to get a few stops on MJ, than MJ is on Hakeem, assuming Hakeem plays smart.

HylianNightmare
11-07-2011, 10:38 AM
hakeem

hoopslife
11-07-2011, 10:59 AM
Whoever gets the ball first. No honestly, on any given day either one could win. If they play 10 times Hakeem would probably win 5 and Jordan would probably win 5...

http://www.sportsdivide.com

WillyJakk
11-07-2011, 11:02 AM
This would be a great game but:

Remember when Dr. J played Kareem 1 on 1?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u3DWaKXaAYA

Hopefully it'd be prettier than this BUT I think the same principles/ strategies would apply.

Prime Jordan would have a helluva hard time beating Prime Hakeem.

http://www.thehotglove.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/05/michael_jordan_hakeem_olajuwon.jpg

I'd love to watch them play each other now.

OhNoTimNoSho
11-07-2011, 11:52 AM
A strong big man with an offensive post game would just be completely unstoppable vs a smaller defender. Hakeem, one of the greatest offensive big men ever, would just obliterate Jordan. Jordan would never rip him, cmon. Jordan would be forced into pull up and fadeaway jumpers, and I dont doubt that he will make the majority of them, but hakeem literally would never miss. The only factor that would tip it into Jordans favor is his competitiveness, he might be way more fired up to win and beat Hakeem on sheer will power, but in the hypothetical situation that both are played maximum do or die super basketball, hakeem wins everytime.

Dragonyeuw
11-07-2011, 12:22 PM
Neither one has a hope in hell of stopping the other. It depends on the rules of the game. If it's make it-take it, whoever starts and scores first, or even goes up by 2 points, is going to have an advantage. If Hakeem starts, he can simply back Jordan down all day and score at will. If Jordan starts, Hakeem is not going to be able to keep with him on the perimeter. But, I'd give an edge to Hakeem because it's more likely that on one play, Jordan will be forced into a jumper, if he misses and Hakeem rebounds the ball, scores, and gets the ball back, it's pretty much over.

Pointguard
11-07-2011, 01:33 PM
This would be a great game but:

Remember when Dr. J played Kareem 1 on 1?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u3DWaKXaAYA

Hopefully it'd be prettier than this BUT I think the same principles/ strategies would apply.

Prime Jordan would have a helluva hard time beating Prime Hakeem.

http://www.thehotglove.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/05/michael_jordan_hakeem_olajuwon.jpg

I'd love to watch them play each other now.

Thanks for posting that. I heard about it for years but never seen it. I'm under the impression that Doc signed some agreement that he wouldn't use his great first step in the game? He had no advantage without it. What a waste. He didn't use speed, quickness at all. If it was a game and Kareem that far out to guard him its a guaranteed dunk. Slow Doc did get his hands on a lot of balls defensively.

Interesting to note is the shot clock and three pointers counted.

With the three pointers counted Jordan beats Hakeem. Without it Hakeem wins. In a half court, three pointers are a much easier make than in full court settings.

pauk
11-07-2011, 01:51 PM
they both wont be able to defend eachother.. hm

97 bulls
11-07-2011, 02:32 PM
Olajuwan would kill jordan 1v1. A great bigman will beat a great small man anyday.

Duncan21formvp
11-07-2011, 02:34 PM
Olajuwan would kill jordan 1v1. A great bigman will beat a great small man anyday.
This really depends on the size of the court you are playing on. If you are playing like on a NBA court half court then Jordan would dominate him. If you are playing in a backyard then Hakeem probably would win as Jordan wouldn't have as much room to operate.

Pointguard
11-07-2011, 02:44 PM
With the way the rules were set for Doc and Kareem a shooter/slasher wins. They made it so that skills negate height. While Hakeem is super skilled he isn't going to make too many threes.

rodman91
11-07-2011, 05:51 PM
Dr.J & Kareem is bad example.They were over their prime. Dr J has never had great jumper even for a wing man. Kareem was probably 7 inches taller.And he has been obsessed with healthy life back then. It was obvious to Kareem would win.

But when its about Hakeem vs Jordan... Hakeem was quickbut Jordan was twice quicker.Hakeem had decent mid J but Jordan had perfect mid J.Jordan had all tricks,ballhandling and hang time.He had great post game and unstoppable fadeaway. He was probably one of the greatest perimeter defender.

Jordan would pass Olajuwon or would create great space.If he gets rythm, its done.And it doesnt take much for jordan to get rythm.

Hakeem had perfect postgame,good jumpers.He was quick,great stealer and probably best blocking skills. He would torture Jordan on post for sure.

Their height difference weren't as much as Kareem & Dr. J but still would make a difference.

Its definetely not as clear as night and day.Both sides has good chance.

Pointguard
11-07-2011, 09:53 PM
True, people totally underestimate speed and quickness. I seen Derrick Rose on several occassions, get past three defenders and none had the chance of blocking the shot. Jordan had a great first step and an even greater last step. He would be doing reverse layups and be uncatchable. I think whoever is better conditioned.

Pointguard
11-07-2011, 09:55 PM
Dr.J & Kareem is bad example.They were over their prime. Dr J has never had great jumper even for a wing man.

Doc looked like he had just finished a session of looking at Javele McGees moms or something.

7_cody
11-07-2011, 10:12 PM
This is easy. Hakeen is a center, Jordan is a guard. Hakeem has some serious advantages, such as size and a post game. Jordan's only chance to win is to create space and knock down every single jumpshot. Every single shot, because Hakeem is going to easily score down low with incredible consistency.

kumquat
11-07-2011, 11:27 PM
Hakeem all day and I think Jordan is the GOAT. He had cat like quickness, has a huge height and reach advantage and would easily back Jordan down when he got the ball.

Hakeem's ball handling skills are the best i've seen from a big man taking a guy off the dribble.

fpliii
02-01-2014, 05:27 PM
idk

coolhandsteve
02-01-2014, 06:27 PM
If it's halfcourt I gotta say Hakeem. Mike's only defense would be to steal the ball from Hakeem as Dream would shoot over him just about every time. MJ would definitely try to steal the ball from Hakeem and it probably wouldn't work for the most part. MJ would get some points but Hakeem could get a couple of blocks in.

GOATbe
02-01-2014, 06:30 PM
Jordan would get manhandled easily.

Joel Embiid
02-01-2014, 06:33 PM
I want to say "whoever gets the first or last shot" but I honestly think Hakeem as the advantage here. It would be surprisingly boring to watch on his end, he would just back MJ down all the way to the basket and shoot an insane %. MJ would have a harder time taking it to the rack against Hakeem and he would have to shoot jumpers, which are naturally a lower % shot than anything Hakeem would be shooting.

Y2ktors
02-01-2014, 06:51 PM
It wouldn't matter who'd win. The better 5 on 5 player is what counts most to me, which is MJ.

oarabbus
02-01-2014, 06:54 PM
Hakeem in a 1v1 without thinking twice