PDA

View Full Version : The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim

Pages : [1] 2 3

Done_And_Done
11-09-2011, 11:15 AM
http://www.platformnation.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/06/elder-scrolls-skyrim-desktop-gray.jpg

I can't front, this series of video game really & truly does an exceptionally effective job at evoking the nerd inside me. Anyone else plan on scooping up what is said to be one of the greatest games ever developed other then that of myself?

Done_And_Done
11-09-2011, 11:16 AM
http://www.wired.com/gamelife/2011/11/skyrim-infinite-quests/

Clippersfan86
11-09-2011, 01:19 PM
I'm gonna be a Mage for sure!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oSL-r9AIEEU&feature=related

LebronairJAMES
11-09-2011, 05:34 PM
cant wait ordered the collectors edition
dark souls was great now skyrim :banana:

glidedrxlr22
11-09-2011, 05:37 PM
^Sh!t! You passed Dark Souls already?!

LebronairJAMES
11-09-2011, 05:43 PM
^Sh!t! You passed Dark Souls already?!
yep 70 hours its a keeper for sure traded my 2k12 after playing dark souls it felt too boring and i could not get back into oblivion(keeper) which i have 180 hours in thanks to dark souls:(

glidedrxlr22
11-10-2011, 11:43 AM
yep 70 hours its a keeper for sure traded my 2k12 after playing dark souls it felt too boring and i could not get back into oblivion(keeper) which i have 180 hours in thanks to dark souls:(

Props to anyone who passes Dark Souls and Skyrim. :applause:

KeylessEntry
11-10-2011, 01:00 PM
According to amazon this game just shipped, should arrive tomorrow afternoon. Its gonna be hard to budget my video game time between this, Arkham City and BF3... its been a good month for games.

Qwyjibo
11-10-2011, 01:03 PM
Yea I'm downloading it right now. I'm a thief. If it's awesomely amazing then eventually I'll buy whatever GOTY version with all 78 DLC comes out on Steam.

I have no idea where I'll find the time to play this though. Still playing through Dark Souls and Modern Warfare 3. Ultimate Marvel vs Capcom 3 comes out next week. I finished Ico but haven't even started Shadow of the Colossus. And I still haven't even finished LA Noire from months ago. I need to quit my job and take up playing video games as a full-time hobby.

Clippersfan86
11-10-2011, 01:20 PM
First review= perfect 10.

http://www.wired.com/gamelife/2011/11/skyrim-review/

This is how Batman started last month. This review makes the game sound INCREDIBLE. Apparently it blows Oblivion out of the water.

Clippersfan86
11-10-2011, 01:22 PM
9.8 score.

http://reviews.teamxbox.com/xbox-360/1958/Elder-Scrolls-V-Skyrim/p1/

Clippersfan86
11-10-2011, 01:24 PM
Metacritic stats has Skyrim at...

95/100 PC after 4 reviews

93/100 PS3 after 10 reviews (this is because they hated the fact that you have to install the huge file before playing)

95/100 Xbox 360 after 41 reviews (wow)

:cheers:

Qwyjibo
11-10-2011, 01:24 PM
Games Radar (a great site BTW) had a good review because they touched upon every aspect that was crappy in Oblivion and how it was addressed in Skyrim.

http://www.gamesradar.com/elder-scrolls-v-skyrim-review/

Clippersfan86
11-10-2011, 01:25 PM
Games Radar (a great site BTW) had a good review because they touched upon every aspect that was crappy in Oblivion and how it was addressed in Skyrim.

http://www.gamesradar.com/elder-scrolls-v-skyrim-review/

Reading now. :cheers:

Clippersfan86
11-10-2011, 01:28 PM
Holy sh**. Most legit review ever. In depth, focused on the right things and still gave it a perfect 10. I'm going to use that website a lot more for reviews because IGN is inconsistent. Let's see if my predictions are right. Batman and Skyrim will win most of the GOTY's.

pauk
11-10-2011, 01:33 PM
:bowdown: :bowdown:

LJJ
11-10-2011, 01:48 PM
I'm about 2 hours in, my review: Yep, it's good.

Clippersfan86
11-10-2011, 02:08 PM
I'm about 2 hours in, my review: Yep, it's good.

Full version already??

Walker
11-10-2011, 02:23 PM
Full version already??

It got released at 3pm on the 10th here in Australia.

Now at 5:20am on the 11th I'm finally about to go to bed after playing since the second it came out.

It's not even possible to hype this game up enough so I'm not even gonna try.
Best game ever made period. If you like video games and don't have ADD, you MUST buy this.

Clippersfan86
11-10-2011, 02:35 PM
It got released at 3pm on the 10th here in Australia.

Now at 5:20am on the 11th I'm finally about to go to bed after playing since the second it came out.

It's not even possible to hype this game up enough so I'm not even gonna try.
Best game ever made period. If you like video games and don't have ADD, you MUST buy this.

:bowdown: :bowdown: :facepalm

Clippersfan86
11-10-2011, 02:40 PM
http://www.computerandvideogames.com/325723/elder-scrolls-v-skyrim-review-round-up/

Done_And_Done
11-10-2011, 04:15 PM
http://www.computerandvideogames.com/325723/elder-scrolls-v-skyrim-review-round-up/

I feel like I'm staring at the judges scores for the gold medalist of any event at the olympics. I really didn't expect anything less then high grades across the board but it's still very nice to see that it's living up to the immense hype it's received.

And damn you Aussies for being ahead of the game lol

Qwyjibo
11-10-2011, 07:45 PM
My first and basic impressions so far:

- The sound and music is great. The voice acting also seems much improved since Oblivion.

- The distant landscapes looks great. The overall artistic look of the world is pretty good.

- The individual textures aren't anything special. Things like swords, armor and other items up close don't look as great as you'd expect. I saw better in the Witcher 2.

- The PC version is just a lazy console-port with apparently no optimization for a PC. The menus are a chore to navigate because it seems like using the mouse hasn't been fully integrated. That's completely unacceptable. Once again, gamers will have to rely on mods to play this game in its full potential.

Maniak
11-10-2011, 07:53 PM
- The PC version is just a lazy console-port with apparently no optimization for a PC. The menus are a chore to navigate because it seems like using the mouse hasn't been fully integrated. That's completely unacceptable. Once again, gamers will have to rely on mods to play this game in its full potential.

Man, this hurts to read. Thank heaven for modders.

I'm going to start "buying" this tonight. Wink wink nudge nudge. So excited to play this game.

Clippersfan86
11-10-2011, 08:19 PM
My first and basic impressions so far:

- The sound and music is great. The voice acting also seems much improved since Oblivion.

- The distant landscapes looks great. The overall artistic look of the world is pretty good.

- The individual textures aren't anything special. Things like swords, armor and other items up close don't look as great as you'd expect. I saw better in the Witcher 2.

They went from 15 to 70+ voice actors so the voice acting improvement is to be expected. Thanks for info dude. There is something I want to know in particular if you can help me. Are the companions useful? I was told you can get companions like Fallout 3/Vegas.

Qwyjibo
11-10-2011, 08:35 PM
They went from 15 to 70+ voice actors so the voice acting improvement is to be expected. Thanks for info dude. There is something I want to know in particular if you can help me. Are the companions useful? I was told you can get companions like Fallout 3/Vegas.
I've barely scratched the surface of the game. During the opening sequence you are fighting along some other prisoners and it makes it all kinda easy. I put at the hardest difficulty but let the NPCs be the cannon fodder while I sliced people in the back. I feel like I should be struggling more at the start of a game but I might have to give it some time.

Maniak
11-10-2011, 08:40 PM
Personally I don't play a game like Skyrim to be challenged. I play it to have a good time exploring a huge world and doing very interesting things.

Clippersfan86
11-10-2011, 08:41 PM
Personally I don't play a game like Skyrim to be challenged. I play it to have a good time exploring a huge world and doing very interesting things.

Same. :D

Burgz
11-10-2011, 08:59 PM
Oblivion is one of my games ever, played through on the PC and 360

which version should I get though?

also, how are the combat mechanics? the fighting in oblivion didn't make me feel like I was some all powerful warrior on a quest to save the world

pauk
11-10-2011, 09:12 PM
im 45.1% away from "buying" this game.... :lol

ClutchBucketz
11-10-2011, 09:33 PM
im 45.1% away from "buying" this game.... :lol
:oldlol: :applause:

Qwyjibo
11-11-2011, 12:58 AM
Uhh I don't think they perfected the whole stealing thing just yet:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rt5aUdijAN8

Maniak
11-11-2011, 01:03 AM
Uhh I don't think they perfected the whole stealing thing just yet:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rt5aUdijAN8
Hey, I'd rather they be oblivious then have eyes everywhere.

niko
11-11-2011, 11:58 AM
Can you play third person? First person gives me headaches...

Qwyjibo
11-11-2011, 12:00 PM
Can you play third person? First person gives me headaches...
Yes. But, IMO, it really doesn't work well for combat. Plus you'll cringe at how goofy the movements (jumping especially) look in 3rd person.

Clippersfan86
11-11-2011, 12:07 PM
Yes. But, IMO, it really doesn't work well for combat. Plus you'll cringe at how goofy the movements (jumping especially) look in 3rd person.

Where's my update? :( . Companions? Is game still incredibly good in your opinion? Yea I try 3rd person due to preference on Oblivion and Fallout and it definitely is awkward.

LJJ
11-11-2011, 12:13 PM
Oblivion is one of my games ever, played through on the PC and 360

which version should I get though?

also, how are the combat mechanics? the fighting in oblivion didn't make me feel like I was some all powerful warrior on a quest to save the world

You should get it for PC if yours can run it properly.

The combat feels similar, but it's just very refined. Dual wielding spells, or a spell and a weapon, is quite nice. And one thing they've added to the fighting is cinematics. Sometimes when you land a critical hit the camera will switch to a 3rd person view of you stabbing some enemy in the neck and stuff. It's done in a very non-intrusive way, but moments like that does make the combat more visceral.

Clippersfan86
11-11-2011, 12:15 PM
You should get it for PC if yours can run it properly.

The combat feels similar, but it's just very refined. Dual wielding spells, or a spell and a weapon, is quite nice. And one thing they've added to the fighting is cinematics. Sometimes when you land a critical hit the camera will switch to a 3rd person view of you stabbing some enemy in the neck and stuff. It's done in a very non-intrusive way, but moments like that does make the combat more visceral.

Is Mage fun? I always play mage in games but in Oblivion it felt weak to me. Can you be a pure dual weilding magic user? Meaning no shield and weapon.. just spell hands.

Qwyjibo
11-11-2011, 12:26 PM
Where's my update? :( . Companions? Is game still incredibly good in your opinion? Yea I try 3rd person due to preference on Oblivion and Fallout and it definitely is awkward.
I ran into one elf in the first town, told him "Come with me, I need your help." and he instantly joined me. That was a bit awkward. I told him to leave and he did. I hope there is more character development for companions later in the game.

For whatever reason, I'm just not that "into" this world. Maybe I'm burned out on medieval RPGs after Dragon Age 2 (which I didn't like) and The Witcher 2 already coming out this year. There just isn't enough that differentiates this world from other ones you've seen in recent games.

It's still a very good overall game so far though but it's missing that personal "wow" factor for me. And that's really just personal preference because this game is technically better than something like Fallout New Vegas but I honestly had more fun exploring the world and characters of New Vegas. We'll see, that might change as I keep going through Skyrim.

Clippersfan86
11-11-2011, 12:29 PM
I ran into one elf in the first town, told him "Come with me, I need your help." and he instantly joined me. That was a bit awkward. I told him to leave and he did. I hope there is more character development for companions later in the game.

For whatever reason, I'm just not that "into" this world. Maybe I'm burned out on medieval RPGs after Dragon Age 2 (which I didn't like) and The Witcher 2 already coming out this year. There just isn't enough that differentiates this world from other ones you've seen in recent games.

It's still a very good overall game so far though but it's missing that personal "wow" factor for me. And that's really just personal preference because this game is technically better than something like Fallout New Vegas but I honestly had more fun exploring the world and characters of New Vegas. We'll see, that might change as I keep going through Skyrim.

So basically still a great game but not be your cup of tea exactly? I don't care if companions are generic as long as they do their job. BTW I loved DA2 and I can't wait for Witcher 2 if it hits console.

glidedrxlr22
11-11-2011, 01:30 PM
So basically still a great game but not be your cup of tea exactly? I don't care if companions are generic as long as they do their job. BTW I loved DA2 and I can't wait for Witcher 2 if it hits console.

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/415MW6QCGwL._AA300_.jpg

May 2012.....don't see a ps3 version.

Clippersfan86
11-11-2011, 01:39 PM
http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/415MW6QCGwL._AA300_.jpg

May 2012.....don't see a ps3 version.

Oh wow it became official!? Good thing I got my Xbox back from sister. I'll do most gaming on PS3 and just use Xbox for exclusives.

Qwyjibo
11-11-2011, 01:53 PM
The Witcher 2 was amazing. Definite must-play.

Maniak
11-11-2011, 02:02 PM
Opening was SICK. Man, this game is looking to be really fun. Loving the environments.

glidedrxlr22
11-11-2011, 02:04 PM
The Witcher 2 was amazing. Definite must-play.

I downloaded Witcher 1 for $5 of off GOG in anticipation of Witcher 2. :rockon:
I'll be getting it on console.

Clippersfan86
11-11-2011, 02:34 PM
My Laptop can't handle Witcher 2... so just waiting for it on console. I heard it's a MUST PLAY for RPG fans, especially fans of WRPG's like Dragon Age, Fable, Mass Effect etc. Choice in dialog etc.

Clippersfan86
11-11-2011, 02:39 PM
Wow. Reviewers were full of sh**! There is no 5 gig download! You do the small 58 MB download and you start playing.

glidedrxlr22
11-11-2011, 03:33 PM
From ign:

Graphics Issues
Advises not to install.
November 11, 2011
by Andrew Goldfarb

The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim is a great-looking game, but the Xbox 360 version is having some issues. According to Bethesda, the game has trouble scaling textures on the Xbox 360 and may not perform properly when installed to the system's hard drive.

"Skyrim uses a lot of dynamic streaming systems, including textures. We've seen a few reports of certain textures temporarily scaling down on the Xbox 360, and not scaling back up," Bethesda said on its official forums. "We have verified that this issue does not occur when playing off the disk and when the game is fully cached (not installed)."

"Skyrim makes heavy use of the Xbox 360 caching system, and caches over the normal course of play while in menus or interiors. This cache can be wiped when other games are played or when the user manually removes it."

Bethesda added that a fix is on the way and will be released in the next title update for the game.

Maniak
11-11-2011, 03:38 PM
Ouch. Sucks to be a 360 owner. I saw a post on reddit with a guy who had just bought skyrim then his 360 got the RROD. :facepalm

I was pretty happy when the system suggested I could run the game in high on my PC, and I've been having no lag issues.

When I saw this shot as I was strolling along, I couldn't help but take a screenshot.

http://gyazo.com/2a06bcd2045cc9baee7b685725bc8d68.png

KeylessEntry
11-11-2011, 03:38 PM
hurry up UPS dude!

Clippersfan86
11-11-2011, 03:50 PM
So lame. I just was doing intro where I'm about to be beheaded and it froze. Like literally I could look around but nothing happened for 10 mins. Restarting now.

Maniak
11-11-2011, 04:11 PM
So lame. I just was doing intro where I'm about to be beheaded and it froze. Like literally I could look around but nothing happened for 10 mins. Restarting now.
Yeah that area was super laggy for me. I was so concerned about a crash because I've been hearing that has been happening to people.

Clippersfan86
11-11-2011, 04:13 PM
Yeah that area was super laggy for me. I was so concerned about a crash because I've been hearing that has been happening to people.

Well good news is first reload and it didn't happen again.

Qwyjibo
11-11-2011, 05:36 PM
I haven't had any crashes yet. Bumped up all the performance options to high/ultra and no slowdown. Then again, for all the talk about bugs in Fallout New Vegas, I had very little problems with that game as well.

Clippersfan86
11-11-2011, 05:37 PM
SON OF A BIT*H! I forgot on Bethesda games you have to save very often! I just walked 20 mins towards mage school.... and got 1 shot by this giant in the mountains... now gotta redo it. I want to learn more spells damnit!

Qwyjibo
11-11-2011, 07:41 PM
This is such a huge game. I don't really care much about the main story because it's fairly generic so far but just going around and seeing what's going on is tons of fun.

A couple mods that need to made soon:
- Mouse integration in the menus.
- Ability to kill children. It's stupid to have indestructible people walking around.
- NPCs objecting me to me tossing shit around in their homes.

LebronairJAMES
11-11-2011, 07:53 PM
From ign:

Graphics Issues
Advises not to install.
November 11, 2011
by Andrew Goldfarb

The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim is a great-looking game, but the Xbox 360 version is having some issues. According to Bethesda, the game has trouble scaling textures on the Xbox 360 and may not perform properly when installed to the system's hard drive.

"Skyrim uses a lot of dynamic streaming systems, including textures. We've seen a few reports of certain textures temporarily scaling down on the Xbox 360, and not scaling back up," Bethesda said on its official forums. "We have verified that this issue does not occur when playing off the disk and when the game is fully cached (not installed)."

"Skyrim makes heavy use of the Xbox 360 caching system, and caches over the normal course of play while in menus or interiors. This cache can be wiped when other games are played or when the user manually removes it."

Bethesda added that a fix is on the way and will be released in the next title update for the game.
bolded part is a load of shit...
but it does not bother me one bit
i will be plaing this and only this untill witcher 2 comes out

Clippersfan86
11-12-2011, 03:22 PM
Such a great game. Much better than Oblivion. I kept dying until I learned a few tricks. Most important, common sense one being to use line of sight. Instead of fighting 3-4 Mages in a single room and dying in 5 seconds. I learned to take cover behind corners and lure them one at a time. This game definitely is a thinking one in the regard of combat. I'm not powerful enough at level 4 yet to just take on groups.

Also I love how much there is to do. I'm not even working on the main story... because it's taken me 5-6 hours to do this Mage recruit quest line at the Mage college.

Clippersfan86
11-12-2011, 05:01 PM
I went 3rd person mode and zoomed out the camera a tad bit more. I'm liking the game more now. In general I strongly prefer 3rd person over 1st person for gaming. My playstyle is Conjuration (summoner) and Restoration Mage. I'm basically becoming pretty unstoppable because now I can summon powerful demons AND have really strong healing, costing me very little mana (because of upgrades).

Qwyjibo
11-12-2011, 05:28 PM
I'm boring and going with a standard swords, destruction magic and restoration magic Imperial build. Scorching people and slashing their charred bodies with my swords seems to be working well.

Clippersfan86
11-12-2011, 05:33 PM
I'm boring and going with a standard swords, destruction magic and restoration magic Imperial build. Scorching people and slashing their charred bodies with my swords seems to be working well.

I got over destruction. Mainly because... the damage is so inconsistent and the spells are so expensive. I'd much rather summon powerful creatures and summon magical swords (stronger than most weapons in game) and have Godly heals.. than shoot fire/ice/light and miss so often.

Maniak
11-12-2011, 06:01 PM
Man, not being able to kill children is so lame.

Has anybody on PC been messing around with the console commands? I sure have. Flying around shooting fireballs at villages. :oldlol:

Dark Brotherhood was way cooler in Oblivion, severely disappointed on that.

I've killed 3 dragons so far. 1 was a random encounter.

My guy is a 2h(pref axe) boring Nord. I kind of wanted to go the Argonian or whatever its called with a thiefy build but I feel as though it may be too late. Although after I beat the game I might do that on a new save.

Maniak
11-12-2011, 06:01 PM

Has anybody on PC been messing around with the console commands? I sure have. Flying around shooting fireballs at villages. :oldlol:

My guy is a 2h(pref axe) boring Nord. I kind of wanted to go the Argonian or whatever its called with a thiefy build but I feel as though it may be too late. Although after I beat the game I might do that on a new save.

Clippersfan86
11-12-2011, 06:09 PM

Make new game and try Mage. Do my build dude it owns. All I do is cast summoned creates to fight for me... and run around healing and my summons kill them fast. Flame Atronach is what I'm using and she's pretty powerful. I'll be able to upgrade her soon too.

Maniak
11-13-2011, 12:31 AM
Make new game and try Mage. Do my build dude it owns. All I do is cast summoned creates to fight for me... and run around healing and my summons kill them fast. Flame Atronach is what I'm using and she's pretty powerful. I'll be able to upgrade her soon too.
I hate casters in every game always. The mana systems always piss me off to no end.

The only range I can tolerate is something like a hunter.

Maniak
11-13-2011, 12:32 AM
The first two mods on Curse's Skyrim mod sections are female nudity mods. Why am I not surprised?

Clippersfan86
11-13-2011, 12:43 AM
I hate casters in every game always. The mana systems always piss me off to no end.

The only range I can tolerate is something like a hunter.

Dude as in all games Mages start off weak and bad with mana but then become the most powerful class. I can dominate Frost Trolls and all the most powerful monsters in the game already at level 9.

Maniak
11-13-2011, 12:50 AM
The Dark Brotherhood armor in Skyrim looks super gay. Especially because I am a Nord.

fos
11-13-2011, 12:52 AM
Is it cheating if I found a way to max out magic pretty fast? It's not my fault I'm smarter than the game... Maxing my destructive magic out atm... taking about 2 minutes per a point... at 52 right now... and of course this levels my character as well :)

Clippersfan86
11-13-2011, 02:05 AM
Is it cheating if I found a way to max out magic pretty fast? It's not my fault I'm smarter than the game... Maxing my destructive magic out atm... taking about 2 minutes per a point... at 52 right now... and of course this levels my character as well :)

How? BTW guys I fu**ing lost my companion in a dungeon and the dumb bit** hasn't returned so I can't get a different companion.

fos
11-13-2011, 02:17 AM
How? BTW guys I fu**ing lost my companion in a dungeon and the dumb bit** hasn't returned so I can't get a different companion.

When doing the way of the voice quest, when you have to demonstrate your unrelenting force shout... Instead of doing your shout just keep dispatching it with destructive magic and you level up. I'm up to 62 destruction right now :).

I'm doing it on the PS3 version, not sure about the others. I was sorta surprised I could do that because I remember trying a lot of different schemes in Oblivion to no avail. :lol

Clippersfan86
11-13-2011, 02:30 AM
Nice. BTW figured out companion issue. She was knocked out in cave... I ran back there and executed her myself and looted her. Then went and got better companion.

fos
11-13-2011, 02:35 AM
Oh and here is a tip... DON'T augment one of the three destructive magics... Keep one weak and don't duel cast. The faster you dispatch the ghost thing the longer you have to wait for it to reappear... you'll level up fastest by using a non augmented destructive spell single handed.

Clippersfan86
11-13-2011, 01:07 PM
I have a full team! Summons (2 of them soon), mercenary AND a dog. Pimp sh**.

Go here to find location of all possible companions+ the 2 dogs.

http://elderscrolls.wikia.com/wiki/Companions_Skyrim

KeylessEntry
11-13-2011, 07:08 PM
Game is pretty awesome so far other than the usual bugs and glitches. I am like a level 11 redguard, mostly going 1 hand sword/shield but I often use destro to kite guys who destroy me face to face. Just finished the quest to become a warewolf, looking forward to using that ability to shred apart a den of bandits. I bought the house in whiterun to store shit that I dont want to sell. Theres a chick in the inn at whiterun you can get as a follower if you beat her in a boxing match (really easy). She has a nice amulet and ring too so its worthwhile to get her as a minion just so you can make her give up her inventory.

AirTupac
11-13-2011, 07:21 PM
Can someone please tell me if I should buy this lol. I don't know much about the game, I watched a review and it looks cool.

Is it like Fable? I loved Fable.

Can you switch to 3rd person view?

The game looks big as fvck and everyone says its amazing. Any help is appreciated :)

Maniak
11-13-2011, 07:42 PM
Can someone please tell me if I should buy this lol. I don't know much about the game, I watched a review and it looks cool.

The game looks big as fvck and everyone says its amazing. Any help is appreciated :)
Buy it, ideally on PC.

It does have 3rd person, if you're into that.

Clippersfan86
11-13-2011, 07:45 PM
Game is pretty awesome so far other than the usual bugs and glitches. I am like a level 11 redguard, mostly going 1 hand sword/shield but I often use destro to kite guys who destroy me face to face. Just finished the quest to become a warewolf, looking forward to using that ability to shred apart a den of bandits. I bought the house in whiterun to store shit that I dont want to sell. Theres a chick in the inn at whiterun you can get as a follower if you beat her in a boxing match (really easy). She has a nice amulet and ring too so its worthwhile to get her as a minion just so you can make her give up her inventory.

Woah I thought they said no werewolves, just vampires this time? Can you choose when to turn? Where did you learn it? Anyone have a dragon map?

Clippersfan86
11-13-2011, 07:50 PM

Fav game of year. Incredibly huge. It took me 7 hours to pass Mage quest line and become the Arch Mage. That was a freaking side quest! It's an open game so you can play how you want. I prioritize based on what I want. I like powerful magic so I did Mage related stuff first. Never ending things to do. I know have a Khajit warrior companion, dog and my monster summons. I like healing my crew while they kill everything for me. My crew killed a middle tier dragon in like 3 minutes with no help from me. My horse attacks too.

Maniak
11-13-2011, 08:03 PM
Woah I thought they said no werewolves, just vampires this time? Can you choose when to turn? Where did you learn it? Anyone have a dragon map?
Werewolves are associated with the Companions. Check them out in Winterholde or whatever its called to progress up the levels.

To join the circle, which is the highest up of the Companions, you need to be a werewolf.

KeylessEntry
11-13-2011, 08:58 PM

There are definitely warewolves. I havent actually used the ability yet so I am not sure when you can turn it on, during the quest the guy said you could only use it every so often. You get it from doing the companions quest line.

AirTupac
11-13-2011, 09:30 PM
Do i need to know what happened in previous games? I wanna know what I'll be getting myself into if i do buy it. The game seems really good.

Clippersfan86
11-13-2011, 09:31 PM
I want to keep it realistic though. I don't want to be a part of 10 different factions. I want to be a Greybeard Mage and not get involved in all the other silly ones. I may join the Storm one... to get revenge on the Imperials that were executing me in the beginning though.

Anybody figure out yet if you can get Greybeard robes?

Clippersfan86
11-13-2011, 10:09 PM
Bad info from people. Meeko isnt the talking demon dog. Barbas is.

magnax1
11-13-2011, 11:02 PM
It's pissing me off so much that I've had this game for 3 days and haven't been able to play it. I was so excited for it too.

MK2V1GP
11-13-2011, 11:28 PM
Buy it, ideally on PC.

It does have 3rd person, if you're into that.

Why on PC?

Maniak
11-13-2011, 11:47 PM
Why on PC?

Well, all RPGs are meant(imo) for a PC. They just always feel better and theres just something about it

As for Skyrim, the modding community is worth it. Once you beat skyrim/get bored of it you'll look around and find people adding new areas, quests, companions, homes, the list goes on. Some of the mods even help the games graphics/settings. Theres not too many for Skyrim right now, but if you look at some of the stuff people did for Oblivion its amazing.

Also, the console commands you get on PC(by clicking ~/`) are so useful, if you feel like being a little bit cheap, you can turn on invincibility, give yourself money, activate no clip mode, the list goes on.

All in all, you get your bang for your buck on PC. If you buy it for console but have the option to get it on PC you are straight dumb.

Maniak
11-13-2011, 11:49 PM
Do i need to know what happened in previous games? I wanna know what I'll be getting myself into if i do buy it. The game seems really good.
Not really. You'll never even hear much about what happened in previous games, seeing as you're a whole new person and in a whole new area.

And besides, if you really care about lore/storyline and don't understand, theres some good wiki pages to read...if you're into that.

Asukal
11-14-2011, 12:12 AM
Great game! Lots of improvement since Oblivion. The only thing I'd complain about is the horses, why there is no mounted combat boggles my mind and it takes so much time to dismount while enemies attack you its ridiculous. :facepalm

Overall, a great game and worth playing! :cheers:

LebronairJAMES
11-14-2011, 01:50 AM
yep really great game
i put 180hours into oblivion this will get alot more for sure

KeylessEntry
11-14-2011, 01:56 AM
I was playing some oblivion a few weeks ago before skyrim was out and I just had to look at the release date, march 20 2006. After 5 years, the advancement between oblivion and skyrim is absolutely massive, as it should be. Bethesda went all in knowing that this is probably their last RPG for this generation of consoles.

LJJ
11-14-2011, 03:47 AM
Well, all RPGs are meant(imo) for a PC. They just always feel better and theres just something about it

As for Skyrim, the modding community is worth it. Once you beat skyrim/get bored of it you'll look around and find people adding new areas, quests, companions, homes, the list goes on. Some of the mods even help the games graphics/settings. Theres not too many for Skyrim right now, but if you look at some of the stuff people did for Oblivion its amazing.

Also, the console commands you get on PC(by clicking ~/`) are so useful, if you feel like being a little bit cheap, you can turn on invincibility, give yourself money, activate no clip mode, the list goes on.

All in all, you get your bang for your buck on PC. If you buy it for console but have the option to get it on PC you are straight dumb.

Skyrim specifically is clearly a game that is better on PC; it's a game that is designed for PC, looks better on PC and you have all the mods for it. But that first argument of "All RPGs are meant to be played on PC" is just ridiculous. :oldlol:

KeylessEntry
11-14-2011, 03:54 AM
it appears that you can be a warewolf once per day

Burgz
11-14-2011, 11:31 AM
hey guys,

I'm at level 12

took a break from the main quest, the side quests are always better in Bethesda games, and this game is not disappointing

one question though, does anyone have any tips on recruiting followers?

btw, the faendal exploit works pretty well, my archery is up to 50 with barely any work, but im playing it on 360 so it's to be expected, i wonder if it'll get patched on the PC

:confusedshrug:

Maniak
11-14-2011, 11:51 AM
Skyrim specifically is clearly a game that is better on PC; it's a game that is designed for PC, looks better on PC and you have all the mods for it. But that first argument of "All RPGs are meant to be played on PC" is just ridiculous. :oldlol:
Yes, and there is no reason I put (imo) in brackets.

But its for the same reason I mentioned. Modding(in a more positive manner) will probably always be more on PC, and an RPG flourishes with modding.

Plus, I feel as though if I play an RPG on console I'm limiting my controls. With a keyboard and mouse, I can have more things on more buttons, rather than being a little bit more restricted.

Burgz
11-14-2011, 11:56 AM

But its for the same reason I mentioned. Modding(in a more positive manner) will probably always be more on PC, and an RPG flourishes with modding.

Plus, I feel as though if I play an RPG on console I'm limiting my controls. With a keyboard and mouse, I can have more things on more buttons, rather than being a little bit more restricted.

im playing on 360 because I don't have a PC right now (mac book or wackbook?) but I agree this game would be THAT much better on pc

but for me it's not about the controls its about the patches

by the end of oblivion the game ran so smoothly, many bugs had been removed, that I went back and played it through again

skyrim is already better to me, I can't put it down there is just too much to do!

LJJ
11-14-2011, 12:08 PM

That is very specific to an Elder Scrolls type RPG.

But tons of RPGs, such as the "Tales of" series, work better on console. Those games have a progressive, balanced storyline that really doesn't cater to the modding crowd even if they did have access to them. And it would be a pain to play a game like Tales with a keyboard.

RapsFan
11-14-2011, 12:16 PM
Just started playing this last night. Can someone give me a quick Skyrim 101.

In terms of the Race choice, does it matter very much. Do some of your skills just start higher then other Races? Say at 20 instead of 15. I picked Imperial. Should you stick to a handful of Skills to build up?

Also, can any Race wear and use any type of item and learn all types of magic? It's not like you have to be a mage to use magic?

Finally, for console users, can you easily switch from melee weapon to magic? I use directional buttons for magi favourites, but do I really have to go back to the item menu and re equip weapons?

So far, game is great. Spent far too much time in the blacksmith pit.

I am doing a side quest were I am trying to find some sort of amulet or crown or something in a cave just west of the main city.

Clippersfan86
11-14-2011, 01:19 PM
Just started playing this last night. Can someone give me a quick Skyrim 101.

In terms of the Race choice, does it matter very much. Do some of your skills just start higher then other Races? Say at 20 instead of 15. I picked Imperial. Should you stick to a handful of Skills to build up?

Also, can any Race wear and use any type of item and learn all types of magic? It's not like you have to be a mage to use magic?

Finally, for console users, can you easily switch from melee weapon to magic? I use directional buttons for magi favourites, but do I really have to go back to the item menu and re equip weapons?

So far, game is great. Spent far too much time in the blacksmith pit.

I am doing a side quest were I am trying to find some sort of amulet or crown or something in a cave just west of the main city.

My recommendation is to decide if you want to be a Mage, Warrior or Rogue. Once you decide each one offers a "club" for you to train in and join. I'd do that first (I did Mage College quest line). I did this so I could get the best robes in game (Arch Mage robes) and a bunch of levels/Mage training in the process. The quest line took me about 7 hours. Then once I became Arch Mage I went to Greybeards to learn the way of the dragon. Right now I'm finding ways to get rich like by wiping out dirty gangs. I'm doing this to fund all my training.

It's very important that you specialize rather than being good at everything. You can be a Warrior or Archer /Rogue with a little Mage.... but I wouldn't balance them anywhere near equally. I'm a 100 percent pure Mage. Once you decide on a main class you need to get it down to 2-3 main schools to max. For example as a melee character I'd pick 1H/shield or 2H. From there just max the appropriate skills and work on a healing spell. I'm a Conjuration/Restoration Mage. My playstyle is powerful summoned demons+ my group fighting for me as I heal everybody including myself.

Not only is this playstyle effective even against the best monsters, but it's really fun for me. The greatest thing about Skyrim is you can play in 100 different ways and do well. I just think in general you'll be a lot stronger if you focus on 1 main strategy be it Mage, Warrior or Rogue.

BTW guys after trying 5 different companions I have one you'll all love! Marcurio. He's an Arcane Mage who is found in Riften bar called Bee's ---- (forgot name). He's incredible powerful and it's fun to watch him shoot lightning out of his hands from 50 yards away and pwn people. He actually killed a white dragon (most powerful in game) for me in like 2 mins by himself mostly.

As a Mage though you obviously have to keep him safe and heal him. Since I'm also a Mage... I summon my Ice Atronach to tank for the group... as well as my Wolfhound dog. So basically my group is 2 differently schooled Mages+2 tanks/melee.

One piece of advice I give you as well as everybody is to start taking the Carriage outside of major towns! It automatically takes you to undiscovered major cities. Once you learn them all you can fast travel anywhere pretty much.

glidedrxlr22
11-14-2011, 02:08 PM
How's the 3rd person view?

Clippersfan86
11-14-2011, 02:15 PM

Great. I've been playing in 3rd person 85 percent of the time.

Burgz
11-14-2011, 02:16 PM

if you've played fallout it is similar, it is kind of off centered just like fallout

you can zoom out pretty far if youd like as well, i prefer the view in combat but sneaking and searching for clues/items/treasure i do in 1st person

Burgz
11-14-2011, 02:17 PM
One piece of advice I give you as well as everybody is to start taking the Carriage outside of major towns! It automatically takes you to undiscovered major cities. Once you learn them all you can fast travel anywhere pretty much.

I found this useful too but i was only following quests and not making a conscious effort to make money

i realized before too long i was broke :hammerhead:

LebronairJAMES
11-14-2011, 03:29 PM
if you've played fallout it is similar, it is kind of off centered just like fallout

you can zoom out pretty far if youd like as well, i prefer the view in combat but sneaking and searching for clues/items/treasure i do in 1st person
im on the 360 how do you zoom at first it was a good distance in 3rd person but now its too close please help will rep

Burgz
11-14-2011, 03:31 PM
im on the 360 how do you zoom at first it was a good distance in 3rd person but now its too close please help will rep

click the RS in and move the LS in and out to adjust and rotate RS to rotate the camera to see your players face etc.

Hope that helps now go kill some dragons :rockon:

LebronairJAMES
11-14-2011, 03:40 PM
click the RS in and move the LS in and out to adjust and rotate RS to rotate the camera to see your players face etc.

Hope that helps now go kill some dragons :rockon:
thanks i am a few hours in level 8 and have not seen a dragon yet lol
doing the mage quest line...
just wondering since your a mage whats the best perks to get it? i am breton mage i want to have good offensive magic should i just put my perks in destructive powers?
i am mostly putting all the perks in destructive then a few in conjuration and sometimes restoration you think its a good idea?
and while leveling up i have just been picking magic and used health once should i start picking health and stamina a bit more??

Burgz
11-14-2011, 03:53 PM
thanks i am a few hours in level 8 and have not seen a dragon yet lol
doing the mage quest line...
just wondering since your a mage whats the best perks to get it? i am breton mage i want to have good offensive magic should i just put my perks in destructive powers?
i am mostly putting all the perks in destructive then a few in conjuration and sometimes restoration you think its a good idea?
and while leveling up i have just been picking magic and used health once should i start picking health and stamina a bit more??

I think Clippersfan is a mage

I'm more of a warrior class, blades and shields and destruction magic

try putting some skills in alteration because you can actually increase the effectiveness of your weapons that way and potentially fight stronger opponents and level faster, but you can also alter clothing to regenerate your magicka/health/stamina faster for boss battles

i usually pick health and stamina because im a warrior and i got the dual flurry skill that lets me strike super fast with two blades (i have fire breath shout so i dont usually use my magicka unless really strong opponents)

if you go to areas that you have already cleared there is a chance you will find a dragon in the area. of the three ive killed (at lvl 12) two were unrelated to the main quest, and i've sighting 2 others that sped away (tried shooting them with arrows from afar but my aim is terrible on console)

edit:

a cool side note, I saw a dragon in the distance breathing fire and what not at something in the distance in the tundra west of High Hrothgar

when i arrived on my horse there were dead bandits and animals everywhere and there were a group of poachers threatening me to leave and eventually they attacked me for trying to take the pelts of one of the animals

it blew me away that shit is happening in the game regardless of my involvement, Bethesda did a great job making this game feel like a living breathing world

LebronairJAMES
11-14-2011, 04:18 PM
I think Clippersfan is a mage

I'm more of a warrior class, blades and shields and destruction magic

try putting some skills in alteration because you can actually increase the effectiveness of your weapons that way and potentially fight stronger opponents and level faster, but you can also alter clothing to regenerate your magicka/health/stamina faster for boss battles

i usually pick health and stamina because im a warrior and i got the dual flurry skill that lets me strike super fast with two blades (i have fire breath shout so i dont usually use my magicka unless really strong opponents)

if you go to areas that you have already cleared there is a chance you will find a dragon in the area. of the three ive killed (at lvl 12) two were unrelated to the main quest, and i've sighting 2 others that sped away (tried shooting them with arrows from afar but my aim is terrible on console)

edit:

a cool side note, I saw a dragon in the distance breathing fire and what not at something in the distance in the tundra west of High Hrothgar

when i arrived on my horse there were dead bandits and animals everywhere and there were a group of poachers threatening me to leave and eventually they attacked me for trying to take the pelts of one of the animals

it blew me away that shit is happening in the game regardless of my involvement, Bethesda did a great job making this game feel like a living breathing world
yeah i love when you see some random shit i once chased a wild elk and the dam thing jumps into the river and starts swimming upstream to get away its was so funny

Clippersfan86
11-14-2011, 04:28 PM
Yup. Besides the one involved in quests Dragons completely attack at random. A lot of times city guards will say as you're passing things like... "I hear there is a dragon attack going on at ---------" etc. You need to keep traveling and doing quests in different areas. Fast traveling a lot works too. I went back to Mage college to find out if I could get the updated spells yet... and a dragon appeared. I owned him.

Lebron.... I'd make sure you get a dog+companion right away. Will make life MUCH easier. I can tell you the location of all 3 dogs as well as companions if you need. One dog is a demonic possessed dog that's invincible but don't get him. He freaking pushes you all the time off cliffs, out of conversations and is VERY annoying.

Meeko is the dog I'm using now. He can be found at Meeko's Shack which is directly west of Morthal. When you get closer to the shack an icon will appear on the map that looks like a shack :D . He's not actually in the shack. He's on the road just south of the shack (literally like 20 yards away from shack).

Also for companion.... I told you guys I'm loving this Marcurio Arcane Mage guy. He's found in Riften inn/bar. He's incredibly powerful and I like his personality. He's basically Antonio Banderas with a bad attitude lol (his accent). He's also not a goody goody type. He WILL commit all crimes with/for you.

Another tip is.. buy a horse ASAP. They cost 500 and you can get 4 different color patterns at 4 different stables of Skyrim. It makes traveling much easier and more fun. Plus they are EXCELLENT at climbing steep mountains. Never park your horse next to a troll etc... or they WILL die. You need to be cautious of where you dismount. Wherever you fast travel (main cities) they will be there waiting for you upon arrival.

Burgz
11-14-2011, 04:35 PM
Yup. Besides the one involved in quests Dragons completely attack at random. A lot of times city guards will say as you're passing things like... "I hear there is a dragon attack going on at ---------" etc. You need to keep traveling and doing quests in different areas. Fast traveling a lot works too. I went back to Mage college to find out if I could get the updated spells yet... and a dragon appeared. I owned him.

Lebron.... I'd make sure you get a dog+companion right away. Will make life MUCH easier. I can tell you the location of all 3 dogs as well as companions if you need. One dog is a demonic possessed dog that's invincible but don't get him. He freaking pushes you all the time off cliffs, out of conversations and is VERY annoying.

Meeko is the dog I'm using now. He can be found at Meeko's Shack which is directly west of Morthal. When you get closer to the shack an icon will appear on the map that looks like a shack :D . He's not actually in the shack. He's on the road just south of the shack (literally like 20 yards away from shack).

Also for companion.... I told you guys I'm loving this Marcurio Arcane Mage guy. He's found in Riften inn/bar. He's incredibly powerful and I like his personality. He's basically Antonio Banderas with a bad attitude lol (his accent). He's also not a goody goody type. He WILL commit all crimes with/for you.

Another tip is.. buy a horse ASAP. They cost 500 and you can get 4 different color patterns at 4 different stables of Skyrim. It makes traveling much easier and more fun. Plus they are EXCELLENT at climbing steep mountains. Never park your horse next to a troll etc... or they WILL die. You need to be cautious of where you dismount. Wherever you fast travel (main cities) they will be there waiting for you upon arrival.

whoa what level are you at right now? if you're lower than me then im not getting my full experience!!!:banghead: :banghead:

Thanks for the info!

Clippersfan86
11-14-2011, 04:38 PM
whoa what level are you at right now? if you're lower than me then im not getting my full experience!!!:banghead: :banghead:

Thanks for the info!

I'm level 12. Off the top of my head I have 62 Conjuration, 49 Restoration, 32 Destruction. Why? Full experience?

Clippersfan86
11-14-2011, 04:52 PM
Okay learned something else. Dragon burial map on Delphine's desk in her secret room. Just go through main quest line and you'll understand. I walked outside of the inn and a white dragon attacked us. Most powerful kind in game. Once again my team of Meeko, Marcurio and my Flame Atronach demon took it out in 2 minutes without me having to do anything. Love my team!

Also right now I'm putting all money into pickpocketing training. Mainly because if you become a good pickpocket you can literally steal like 5k+ gold at a time.

Burgz
11-14-2011, 05:06 PM
I'm level 12. Off the top of my head I have 62 Conjuration, 49 Restoration, 32 Destruction. Why? Full experience?

I'm at level 12 and I haven't visited nearly as many places as you have

I'm at 54 archery, 43 one-hand, 40 destruction

as soon as i get home im gonna lay off quests in general and just explore im missing out

thanks again

Clippersfan86
11-14-2011, 05:09 PM
I'm at level 12 and I haven't visited nearly as many places as you have

I'm at 54 archery, 43 one-hand, 40 destruction

as soon as i get home im gonna lay off quests in general and just explore im missing out

thanks again

Oh lol. Yea dude... just do what I did and travel for companions+quests. You'll unlock so much of the map. 30+ percent of my map is filled with tons of unlocked landmarks lol. Do you have dog or companion yet?

Clippersfan86
11-14-2011, 05:12 PM
Yea I need 40 pickpocketing (I'm at 20 now). At 40 I can make it to where I have a 50 percent increased chance to succeed when stealing gold. I'll get rich so fast. I have a scheme. Basically steal gold I gave to trainer for training right back.. and keep re spending it. Can only level at a trainer 5 times per player level though.

Qwyjibo
11-14-2011, 05:12 PM
Are any of the companions developed supporting characters? So far the only ones I've seen are random mercs that offer their services for money. I liked how New Vegas did the companions with each one having their own quest and adding a bit of personality to your journey.

Clippersfan86
11-14-2011, 05:17 PM
Are any of the companions developed supporting characters? So far the only ones I've seen are random mercs that offer their services for money. I liked how New Vegas did the companions with each one having their own quest and adding a bit of personality to your journey.

Um... the companions do have quests for sure. Some have quests before you can even unlock them. I'd say half of them are simple pay me 500 gold mercenaries but that's fine because they aren't any weaker or gimped in any way. All companions besides dogs can do anything. A few are "good" types that won't steal ETC but that's about it.

Clippersfan86
11-14-2011, 05:17 PM
Oh wow. I'm actually level 14.

AirTupac
11-14-2011, 05:19 PM
So what do you do in the game?

Make a character? Train him? Someoneeee please fill me in. :oldlol:

Clippersfan86
11-14-2011, 05:22 PM

Read all my posts. I gave new players an idea of what to do and a sense of direction. I recommend starting off picking if you want to be a Mage, Warrior or Rogue. Then mastering the school/quest line for each. Right after or before that I recommend getting a companion+dog.

LebronairJAMES
11-14-2011, 05:24 PM

its a world where you can be and do what ever you want and if you always wanted to be a magician or a warrior, assasin, thief etc this is the game for you
i love been a mage would be so cool if this shit was real lol

Clippersfan86
11-14-2011, 05:26 PM
Mainly just to prevent getting way too far before switching I'm gonna make a new Assassin/Thief right now. I'll get a Mage and Rogue to level 15 and decide which I will finish game with first. I almost always prefer Magic... but Rogue with high stealth+theft= unlimited wealth+ amazing ambushes.

Edit: OMG I just thought of something. Gonna level speech to 30 on mage (29 now) and buy the skill that allows you to bride guards to let go of crimes. This will allow me to steal from people and not have consequences basically.

LebronairJAMES
11-14-2011, 05:26 PM

yeah i really want to get a pet! so i guess you cant have a wolf as a companion?
could i get the locations of all the dogs im doing the winterhold mage quest right now after i am done im going to get the dog

AirTupac
11-14-2011, 05:28 PM
I'm on the edge with it. I'm going to buy a game for sure this week as a reward for doing well on my mid terms so I wanna know what this is all about.

Idk if its for my taste, I loved Fable , it kinda looks like it.
Games I play : 2k (obv), GTA 4, Batman, Just Cause 2, UNC 1 2 3, AC 1 2 3
sht like that.

I've watched some videos, like the mage thing. I need a game! Its been a while since I bought one.

LebronairJAMES
11-14-2011, 05:30 PM
I'm on the edge with it. I'm going to buy a game for sure this week as a reward for doing well on my mid terms so I wanna know what this is all about.

Idk if its for my taste, I loved Fable , it kinda looks like it.
Games I play : 2k (obv), GTA 4, Batman, Just Cause 2, UNC 1 2 3, AC 1 2 3
sht like that.

I've watched some videos, like the mage thing. I need a game! Its been a while since I bought one.
if you liked fable i think you will like this you need to get this game asap!!
300plus hours of gameplay!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Burgz
11-14-2011, 05:30 PM
Oh lol. Yea dude... just do what I did and travel for companions+quests. You'll unlock so much of the map. 30+ percent of my map is filled with tons of unlocked landmarks lol. Do you have dog or companion yet?

mine is concentrated near whiterun but so much space i realized on the map i never really zoomed out and fully took in how big the world is its HUGE!

no i haven't, i have faendal following me from Riverwood but other than being able to train and take my gold back he is useless against dragons and against bosses

the first thing i do when i get home is finding a legit companion and then dog i had no idea you could do that

i've been trying to buy a house so ive been looting the shit out of people's houses for gold and sellables but i forgot to save properly and i got booked in solitude and all my loot was "confiscated" :banghead: :banghead:

LebronairJAMES
11-14-2011, 05:33 PM
http://a8.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/391995_2487748906994_1050814685_2877781_81957531_n .jpg
my ce

Clippersfan86
11-14-2011, 05:35 PM
mine is concentrated near whiterun but so much space i realized on the map i never really zoomed out and fully took in how big the world is its HUGE!

no i haven't, i have faendal following me from Riverwood but other than being able to train and take my gold back he is useless against dragons and against bosses

the first thing i do when i get home is finding a legit companion and then dog i had no idea you could do that

i've been trying to buy a house so ive been looting the shit out of people's houses for gold and sellables but i forgot to save properly and i got booked in solitude and all my loot was "confiscated" :banghead: :banghead:

Okay you're melee right? If so... try my companions. Meeko which on last page of this thread I told you where to find. Then get the Arcane Mage I have Marcurio as well. Go here. Most of this info on this page was actually posted by me.

http://elderscrolls.wikia.com/wiki/Followers#Kharjo

Clippersfan86
11-14-2011, 05:37 PM
yeah i really want to get a pet! so i guess you cant have a wolf as a companion?
could i get the locations of all the dogs im doing the winterhold mage quest right now after i am done im going to get the dog

Most of this info is from me. I'd recommend trying the team I have now and letting me know what you think. Meeko the dog and Marcurio the Arcane Mage. If you're a Mage.. the dog will basically be tanking with two of you casting powerful spells safely behind. If you're a tank... you'll have a powerful ranged partner and an extra tank/damager with dog. Basically this team doesn't have any weaknesses. Especially if you can Conjure up a frost tank monster like I can.

LebronairJAMES
11-14-2011, 05:42 PM

Most of this info is from me. I'd recommend trying the team I have now and letting me know what you think. Meeko the dog and Marcurio the Arcane Mage. If you're a Mage.. the dog will basically be tanking with two of you casting powerful spells safely behind. If you're a tank... you'll have a powerful ranged partner and an extra tank/damager with dog. Basically this team doesn't have any weaknesses. Especially if you can Conjure up a frost tank monster like I can.

Clippersfan86
11-14-2011, 05:45 PM
The way people treat you based on skill/reputation is amazing. I'm in Windhelm and the guard said "I don't know what business a College Mage has in this city. I don't like your weird ways". Also a lot of guards will recognize me as Dragonborne or the Arch Mage of the college. I even intimidate a few guards and they will say things like "You're not even worth my time" when I just committed a crime in front of them LOL.

BTW if you're a Mage Lebronaire after you go get this dog and companion IMMEDIATELY go to Mage College and do the 5-7 hour quest line. You'll get most powerful robes in game, promoted to THE Arch Mage of Skyrim and.... you'll level a ton and experience a badass quest line in the process.

G-train
11-14-2011, 06:12 PM
Clippersfan, where did you get your horse for $500? Mine cost $1000 at Whitehall.
Where can I get a white one?

I just started again and I'm bypassing everything and going straight to the College.

Clippersfan86
11-14-2011, 06:18 PM
Clippersfan, where did you get your horse for $500? Mine cost $1000 at Whitehall.
Where can I get a white one?

I just started again and I'm bypassing everything and going straight to the College.

Um... I may have the numbers wrong! I think I did pay 1000 for the horse. 1000 is easy as hell to get though. Every time I kill a dragon (Have killed 6 or 7 so far).... I get like 1000 gold worth easy when you combine gold+gems+bones+scales.

Markath= Pinto
Riften= Dapple Grey
Solitude=Palomino
Windhelm= Bay with White blaze
Whiterun= Very Dark Brown

These are horse colors/locations.

Dude right after/before college get those companions! What Mage style are you going? For someone like me who would rather enjoy the game and it's beauty than die a lot.. you should consider Conjuration/Healer like me. Very relaxed play style. I want to try destruction eventually... but the aiming system in these games are crap so it's not that fun for me.

Clippersfan86
11-14-2011, 06:21 PM
Right now I'm about to join the Thieves Guild in Riften. I want to be a powerful Mage+ Thief to fund my magic training/houses etc I want.

G-train
11-14-2011, 06:26 PM
Um... I may have the numbers wrong! I think I did pay 1000 for the horse. 1000 is easy as hell to get though. Every time I kill a dragon (Have killed 6 or 7 so far).... I get like 1000 gold worth easy when you combine gold+gems+bones+scales.

Dude right after/before college get those companions! What Mage style are you going? For someone like me who would rather enjoy the game and it's beauty than die a lot.. you should consider Conjuration/Healer like me. Very relaxed play style. I want to try destruction eventually... but the aiming system in these games are crap so it's not that fun for me.

I'm still considering how I will make my pure mage.
I pumped through a heap of the game as a Warrior, but I want to try something new. I went to the college, and I think I want to work out a way to get there right from the start.
I need to decide a race between Breton or Imperial to begin with.
Leaning towards Imperial, dont really want to be a conjurer. More so destruction/restoration.
So after I escapte the dragon at the very start, I need to get to the College. Just rock up in my rags. Will be a challenge.

Clippersfan86
11-14-2011, 06:29 PM
I'm still considering how I will make my pure mage.
I pumped through a heap of the game as a Warrior, but I want to try something new. I went to the college, and I think I want to work out a way to get there right from the start.
I need to decide a race between Breton or Imperial to begin with.
Leaning towards Imperial, dont really want to be a conjurer. More so destruction/restoration.
So after I escapte the dragon at the very start, I need to get to the College. Just rock up in my rags. Will be a challenge.

Go Breton. If by principle alone dude. Imperials are ones who were going to execute you. Plus Breton Mages own.

LJJ
11-14-2011, 06:32 PM
Go Breton. If by principle alone dude. Imperials are ones who were going to execute you. Plus Breton Mages own.

I play as an Imperial, but I did join the anti-imperials army. :oldlol:

Clippersfan86
11-14-2011, 06:34 PM
I play as an Imperial, but I did join the anti-imperials army. :oldlol:

:oldlol: . Stormstrike or w/e?

LebronairJAMES
11-14-2011, 06:45 PM
The way people treat you based on skill/reputation is amazing. I'm in Windhelm and the guard said "I don't know what business a College Mage has in this city. I don't like your weird ways". Also a lot of guards will recognize me as Dragonborne or the Arch Mage of the college. I even intimidate a few guards and they will say things like "You're not even worth my time" when I just committed a crime in front of them LOL.

BTW if you're a Mage Lebronaire after you go get this dog and companion IMMEDIATELY go to Mage College and do the 5-7 hour quest line. You'll get most powerful robes in game, promoted to THE Arch Mage of Skyrim and.... you'll level a ton and experience a badass quest line in the process.
wait so i should get the dog first? im in those caves loking for stuff(winterhold quest), should i finish that first
btw do you know if its safe to store stuff in the room they give you at the mages school?

Clippersfan86
11-14-2011, 06:52 PM
wait so i should get the dog first? im in those caves loking for stuff(winterhold quest), should i finish that first
btw do you know if its safe to store stuff in the room they give you at the mages school?

Yea you can store but I always sell stuff I won't be needing. Keep good gear pieces for mercenaries/companions that's about it. Yes I'd pause whatever quests you're doing and go get Meeko and a companion. It makes leveling twice as fast and fun.

The next time you hit outdoors... I'd grab companions. Don't need to leave deep caverns for it.. but if you hit fresh air soon.

AirTupac
11-14-2011, 06:56 PM
Wait so aiming sucks in the game? (@Clippersfan)

Clippersfan86
11-14-2011, 07:00 PM

In my opinion yes but nobody else I know complains. I just hate charge up spells (Destruction) because by the time I release.. the target has already moved. It's hard for me personally to throw the spells with high accuracy. The game scrolls pretty slow but that may be adjustable.

G-train
11-14-2011, 07:21 PM
In my opinion yes but nobody else I know complains. I just hate charge up spells (Destruction) because by the time I release.. the target has already moved. It's hard for me personally to throw the spells with high accuracy. The game scrolls pretty slow but that may be adjustable.

I had no trouble aiming destruction spells after about 20-30 mins worth of using them. I got the feel of it.

G-train
11-14-2011, 07:23 PM

We are talking about IMO one of the best games ever made.
Don't let aiming not let you experience it.

Clippersfan86
11-14-2011, 07:24 PM
We are talking about IMO one of the best games ever made.
Don't let aiming not let you experience it.

Yea for sure. By no means is it a big deal. It's actually nitpicking/personal preference. This game is pretty much perfect to me.

Maniak
11-14-2011, 07:32 PM
I've had no hit detection problems.

AirTupac
11-14-2011, 07:33 PM
Thanks guys, I'm gonna look more into this. I might buy it in a few days.

LebronairJAMES
11-14-2011, 07:50 PM
Thanks guys, I'm gonna look more into this. I might buy it in a few days.
cant go wrong if you do buy it

Derka
11-14-2011, 08:07 PM
Gonna upgrade to a GTX 550ti before I pick this baby up. I'm a stickler for the best graphics achievable with my games, and the XBox just doesn't do it for me. Probably going to play it using my XBox remote, however.

Qwyjibo
11-14-2011, 08:39 PM
Gonna upgrade to a GTX 550ti before I pick this baby up. I'm a stickler for the best graphics achievable with my games, and the XBox just doesn't do it for me. Probably going to play it using my XBox remote, however.
What card do you have now?

Skyrim really doesn't seem like much of a system hog to me. I'm playing it pretty much maxed out on an intel i5, Radeon 5850 with 4 gb ram that I bought early last year I think (maybe 2 years ago? I can't remember).

Clippersfan86
11-14-2011, 08:41 PM
Damn. I just had to fight a "Frost Dragon" took me over 5 minutes to kill. Powerful son of a bit*h.

Clippersfan86
11-14-2011, 09:05 PM
Having MASSIVE problems in this area where I'm looking for Alduir's Wall. It's literally glitching nonstop, crashing nonstop and not reloading my games. First time I've been pissed off playing this game! :mad:

Derka
11-14-2011, 09:08 PM
What card do you have now?

Skyrim really doesn't seem like much of a system hog to me. I'm playing it pretty much maxed out on an intel i5, Radeon 5850 with 4 gb ram that I bought early last year I think (maybe 2 years ago? I can't remember).

Using a 450 GTS right now, 4 GB DDR3, Phenom Quad @ 3.2.

Joshumitsu
11-14-2011, 09:29 PM
Lol. Took down two Draugr Deathlords with the Wabbajack.

Burgz
11-14-2011, 09:39 PM

if you want my opinion for me using a bow is kinda difficult but using the magic is pretty smooth

Burgz
11-14-2011, 09:48 PM
took me a while to start blazing through my quick equip menu

now that I've mastered it this game is so much better and i feel in way much more control

just went to Morthal to get meeko (which was a success)

as i walked into the city an argument broke out and just as i was walking up i totall wasnt even listening because a dragon attacked the city!!!

mind. blown. again.

ps. @clippersfan the arcane mage tip worked wonders, he was chillin forty feet away just nailing the dragon. a couple shouts and a few swings with a two hand sword and down she goes

Maniak
11-14-2011, 09:51 PM
Quick equip? so like switching from bow-dagger? I always wondered how that worked and I was too lazy to look into it

Clippersfan86
11-14-2011, 09:51 PM
took me a while to start blazing through my quick equip menu

now that I've mastered it this game is so much better and i feel in way much more control

just went to Morthal to get meeko (which was a success)

as i walked into the city an argument broke out and just as i was walking up i totall wasnt even listening because a dragon attacked the city!!!

mind. blown. again.

ps. @clippersfan the arcane mage tip worked wonders, he was chillin forty feet away just nailing the dragon. a couple shouts and a few swings with a two hand sword and down she goes

Sweet! So you got both companions I recommended? Both are very tough and useful huh?

Clippersfan86
11-14-2011, 09:59 PM
I'm now on main quest line "The Throat Of The World". I just learned a new shout called "Clear Skies" which blows bad winds away etc. Climbing to mountain summit of the monks to learn the Shout required to kill the big daddy dragon Alduin

Clippersfan86
11-14-2011, 10:17 PM
Just learned "Dragonrend". It forces dragons to land when I shout at them.

G-train
11-14-2011, 10:38 PM

whats this?

Burgz
11-15-2011, 12:18 AM
whats this?

go to riften and go into the pub/inn/bar

there is a mage in there (mercurio or something) who is extremely powerful and if you pay 500 gold he will become your companion

really good for a guy like my character who is excellent at using any type of sword and would benefit from ranged support

Asukal
11-15-2011, 12:39 AM
To new players, its easy to get to unexplored cities, just use the carriage near the stables. A few gold does the trick. :D

Clippersfan86
11-15-2011, 01:13 AM
go to riften and go into the pub/inn/bar

there is a mage in there (mercurio or something) who is extremely powerful and if you pay 500 gold he will become your companion

really good for a guy like my character who is excellent at using any type of sword and would benefit from ranged support

You missed my question :cheers: . Is Marcurio+Meeko working excellent for you? I love him because he never ends up on knees (dying, leaves battle) like the few other melee and the ranged mercenaries I tried. Meaning he's very smart and doesn't stand around getting hit like a jackass. Plus when he goes all out on spells he's a beast. I'm a Mage and I love the way he works with my team. I let Meeko (dog for those new to this thread) and my Frost Atronach (summoned demon) tank for me and Marcurio is in the back shooting arcane spells.

Burgz
11-15-2011, 01:27 AM
You missed my question :cheers: . Is Marcurio+Meeko working excellent for you? I love him because he never ends up on knees (dying, leaves battle) like the few other melee and the ranged mercenaries I tried. Meaning he's very smart and doesn't stand around getting hit like a jackass. Plus when he goes all out on spells he's a beast. I'm a Mage and I love the way he works with my team. I let Meeko (dog for those new to this thread) and my Frost Atronach (summoned demon) tank for me and Marcurio is in the back shooting arcane spells.

he works great

i had faendal before and he was terrible, always getting knocked out and shit
everytime i would steal something he would always say some goody twoshoes line, i was getting tired of it

then all of a sudden i told him to wait in dragonsreach and he disappears and he had TONS of my gear and loot!!

had to trace him back to riverwood and "convince" him of giving my things back if you know what i mean

i do my best damage up close so having him at range it limits the amount of hits i need to take larger enemies down, since getting him my level has one from 12 to 15 which is pretty good considering it starts to slow down considerably

since i got both meeko and the mage at the same time i dont know how much more the dog helps but he is definitely down for the cause haha

Burgz
11-15-2011, 01:28 AM
Quick equip? so like switching from bow-dagger? I always wondered how that worked and I was too lazy to look into it

sorry i just mean the favorite menu interface was tricky for me at first but now i got it

i wish you could switch weapons on the fly without having to go into a menu

Clippersfan86
11-15-2011, 01:32 AM
he works great

i had faendal before and he was terrible, always getting knocked out and shit
everytime i would steal something he would always say some goody twoshoes line, i was getting tired of it

then all of a sudden i told him to wait in dragonsreach and he disappears and he had TONS of my gear and loot!!

had to trace him back to riverwood and "convince" him of giving my things back if you know what i mean

i do my best damage up close so having him at range it limits the amount of hits i need to take larger enemies down, since getting him my level has one from 12 to 15 which is pretty good considering it starts to slow down considerably

since i got both meeko and the mage at the same time i dont know how much more the dog helps but he is definitely down for the cause haha

Game is a lot more fun rolling with a team huh? I always feel alone in games if I can't have a dog/mercenary with me haha. I like having that squad type feeling. The only annoying thing about dogs is they like to stand in doorways and trap you.. and it's a pain in the as* to get around them.

One thing I admit I haven't learned is.. the controls of companions. It seems like all you can really do is make them steal off a counter/chest or make them attack. I would think it would let you command them to pick pocket and more. How can you tell Marcurio's level BTW?

BEAST Griffin
11-15-2011, 01:45 AM
If I get it I'll surely make myself a gritty Norse.

Burgz
11-15-2011, 01:46 AM
Game is a lot more fun rolling with a team huh? I always feel alone in games if I can't have a dog/mercenary with me haha. I like having that squad type feeling. The only annoying thing about dogs is they like to stand in doorways and trap you.. and it's a pain in the as* to get around them.

One thing I admit I haven't learned is.. the controls of companions. It seems like all you can really do is make them steal off a counter/chest or make them attack. I would think it would let you command them to pick pocket and more. How can you tell Marcurio's level BTW?

i havent figured that one out yet, will post here if I find out

Clippersfan86
11-15-2011, 02:58 AM
Okay so next up. There is another Mage who is a Frost Mage you can recruit. I'm going to try her and see if she is stronger than Marcurio. Rumor is that she's a Dragonborne like you :eek: . I finally found out her location is in a tower Southwest of Riften. I've been searching for last 2 days with no luck. Darklight Tower is the name I believe. I really like Marcurio.... but I want to experience everything first time through so for future games I know how every companion plays firsthand.

Also I learned a couple Mage leveling tricks (I have yet to try but read them).

Conjuration leveling trick. Conjure up a bound weapon and keep it out... while you spam summoning spells and this supposedly will level you.

Restoration leveling trick. Use Illusion Spell which trades life for mana... then immediately use a heal. This will level both Illusion and Restoration (if rumor is true!).

Destruction leveling trick. Keep raising Zombies or Summons... then attacking and killing them with destruction spells.

I'm about to try these tricks and will let you guys know.

Clippersfan86
11-15-2011, 03:20 AM
Man I don't know if I can let Marcurio go. He just killed 2 trolls within seconds. Dude is the sh**. I have confirmed tower location for second Dragonborne/Frost Mage companion. If you go to Rifton... just head south till the mountain area... then directly west for about 2-3 minutes. Can't miss it!

Fu**er! I got a really nice horse and Marcurio set it on fire on accident and it attacked. In turn my party attacked and killed it. Putting me out 1000 gold! Sons of bit*hes.

Edit: Yea I'm sticking with Marcurio. This mage Illia is a judgemental bit*h. When I use Conjuration spells she speaks out against it.

Clippersfan86
11-15-2011, 05:16 AM
Markarth has a SCARY as* quest called "House Of Horrors" which is the abandoned house. I just started it but got creeped out and left haha. I'm not about to play this at 1 AM when I'm super tired and prone to scaring.

Maniak
11-15-2011, 11:56 AM
I found most of what occured in Oblivion scarier than this game.

The zombies were so creepy in that game. Thats why I just modded and hacked the hell out of it.

Clippersfan86
11-15-2011, 12:39 PM
Lol. I just created a Khajit Rogue. It's funny because the guards call me "The Cat".

Clippersfan86
11-15-2011, 01:44 PM
http://www.gamefront.com/skyrim-level-up-glitch/

Use this. I'll be level 50 sneak in about 10 minutes of work in a sec. Once I get like 60-70 sneak I'll stop exploiting this cheat and go level pickpocket+1 handed on my own. Rogues do insane damage! Right after I level this... I need to go get Meeko and Marcurio... then it's off to join the Dark Brotherhood, then Thieves Guild.

Check out this one skill perk which you only need 50 to get. Assassin's Blade.... "Sneak attacks with daggers now do a total of fifteen times normal damage".

One Handed or Two Handed (depending on what you use) levels with this glitch too but it's slow. For example I've gotten 44 sneak levels and only like 3 one handed levels since using this glitch for 10-15 mins or so.

Oh one other thing article doesn't mention. It HAS to be a power attack (hold down the swing button). If you swing on him with normal swings he WILL attack you and so will everybody in town. You need to be behind him and undetected (eye needs to be a straight line instead of open). So I just get him when he's stirring the pot... or sitting down (walk behind him).

You don't need to wait for his health to regenerate. You just need to wait for him to stand up after he falls to the floor.

Clippersfan86
11-15-2011, 02:36 PM
So in one hours work I got 70 sneak and 29 one handed. Very nice. Now I'm off to join some guilds and get my companions.

KeylessEntry
11-15-2011, 02:45 PM
This game is bad for my social life and work commitments. Supposed to write a report over the weekend that I ended up putting off until this morning. On the bright side, my redguard is like level 30 or something now. Finished the Thieves guild, the companions and a ton of side quests. Got Wuthurad last night or whatever its called but my 2h skill is only like 19. I think I might hit up the bards college next. Trying to decide whether I am going to play through all the content with this character or whether I want to make new characters or what.

Clippersfan86
11-15-2011, 02:56 PM
This game is bad for my social life and work commitments. Supposed to write a report over the weekend that I ended up putting off until this morning. On the bright side, my redguard is like level 30 or something now. Finished the Thieves guild, the companions and a ton of side quests. Got Wuthurad last night or whatever its called but my 2h skill is only like 19. I think I might hit up the bards college next. Trying to decide whether I am going to play through all the content with this character or whether I want to make new characters or what.

Haha damn right. My girl has been pissed off last couple days because I'm giving her less attention. :cheers:

Clippersfan86
11-15-2011, 03:00 PM
Decided against Dark Brotherhood and their demonic nature. Going to join Thieves Guild, then wipe out Brotherhood and take all their goods. First I need to get in nice with Brotherhood though to get the best daggers in the game. Also I'm playing in 1st person. Melee isn't good in 3rd person IMO.

Clippersfan86
11-15-2011, 06:43 PM
Stenvar is the best tank I've used in game so far. He NEVER dies. At least not yet. I needed to go with a melee tank because my build depends heavily on backstabs which I won't get with a ranged companion. He's super chill and costs 500 gold.

Anti Hero
11-16-2011, 03:25 AM
New to the game, I'm a level seven mage/warrior guy... I didn't get the joke earlier about the guy falling from the sky and someone said must've been a giant or something... then I went and fought a giant.. now it makes sense. I also tried fighting a wooly mammoth... that was also dumb.

Besides all of that, very fun game.. and good bye life

RapsFan
11-16-2011, 10:57 AM
Super early in the game for me. Level 4 Breton. Hit the first city, picked up an archer guy as a companion. I think that's the first guy I can bring with me?

Went to an area close by to get a Golden Claw for someone in town.

Should I head to way up north to the Mage 'circle'? I'll be walking right past the next place I need to go for the main quest.

In terms of combat, I just have a spell in each hand, or the same spell in each....I just blast everything with fire. Am I missing something? I'll congure up a zombie or wolf as well.

Finally, in terms of skills, I've put a point into destruction, restoration and conjuration just to halve the magic cost.

Clippersfan86
11-16-2011, 11:55 AM
Super early in the game for me. Level 4 Breton. Hit the first city, picked up an archer guy as a companion. I think that's the first guy I can bring with me?

Went to an area close by to get a Golden Claw for someone in town.

Should I head to way up north to the Mage 'circle'? I'll be walking right past the next place I need to go for the main quest.

In terms of combat, I just have a spell in each hand, or the same spell in each....I just blast everything with fire. Am I missing something? I'll congure up a zombie or wolf as well.

Finally, in terms of skills, I've put a point into destruction, restoration and conjuration just to halve the magic cost.

If you're a Mage the absolute first things you need to do are A. Get companions and B. Go through the Mage College quest line which takes a good 5+ hours. You become Arch Mage, get most powerful robes in game and level up a sh** load during that time. Go get Meeko the dog... who's free. Then get Marcurio in the Riften inn. Read through this thread and read the posts. I typed up some good advice for new players.

Such as where to get companions and what spells to use. I even wrote things about carriages etc.

Maniak
11-16-2011, 11:58 AM
Thieves guild seems super lame in this game. I would say the same about the Dark Brotherhood but for me it was by far the best thing in Oblivion so I can't avoid doing the Dark Brotherhood stuff.

I think I might start cruising through it today.

Clippersfan86
11-16-2011, 12:15 PM
Thieves guild seems super lame in this game. I would say the same about the Dark Brotherhood but for me it was by far the best thing in Oblivion so I can't avoid doing the Dark Brotherhood stuff.

I think I might start cruising through it today.

I'm about 30 percent through Dark Brotherhood and already joined Thieves guild on my new rogue. I'm doing it all now because I want the strongest daggers in the game. I don't really like the demonic theme... but oh well. In Dark Brotherhood quest line you can literally make 15k+ gold! I'm gonna not only have best weapons and gear but have a sh** load of gold to buy house+training+horse.

Clippersfan86
11-16-2011, 12:30 PM
New players go here. Find Meeko and pick a companion that works for you.

http://elderscrolls.wikia.com/wiki/Followers#Stenvor

Myself and a couple others are updating this every day. More and more companion options popping up including 2 or 3 new Mages I never met. Awesome! :cheers: . Marcurio is most powerful of 2 mages I've tried and Svensen is most powerful tank of 3 tanks I tried... but on this list there are 10+ now.. obviously meaning I haven't even tried half.

Clippersfan86
11-16-2011, 03:48 PM
I'm nearly done with Dark Brotherhood quest line and got a bad ass spell. Summon Spectral Assassin. Not super powerful but still sick! He talks to you and gives advice etc. He's only summon who gives you pointers on quests etc in game.

RapsFan
11-16-2011, 04:26 PM
Lame question, can my companion be killed by enemies? Can I heal them and if so, how (do I just not have that spell yet)?

LJJ
11-16-2011, 04:31 PM
Lame question, can my companion be killed by enemies? Can I heal them and if so, how (do I just not have that spell yet)?

They don't die. They only pass out for the duration of the battle

Clippersfan86
11-16-2011, 04:42 PM
They don't die. They only pass out for the duration of the battle

Partially true. If you accidentally hit them.. or something really powerful hits them.. they DO die while they are kneeling/knocked out. BTW guys I'm LOVING my Rogue. I'm not only rich but I just got Shadowmere from Brotherhood which is an all black stallion with red eyes. SUPER SICK. Don't buy a horse if you want to be a Rogue. Just do the Brotherhood quest line. About to get best daggers in game too.

I'm loving the Dark Brotherhood period. I'm already level 13. I'll try a warrior soon as well. I don't like how with Rogue unless you ambush you're mostly worthless so far. Sneak attacks though do literally 30x damage and I 1 shot everything. I think as I gear and level and improve things my regular fighting will get much better.

glidedrxlr22
11-16-2011, 04:58 PM
Clippersfan sounds like you know this game in-depth. How much time are you planning to put into it? Doing multiple playthroughs? I can't imagine how long it would take to do all main and side quests. I might have to invest in Skyrim during the gaming drought that is summer.

Clippersfan86
11-16-2011, 05:00 PM
Clippersfan sounds like you know this game in-depth. How much time are you planning to put into it? Doing multiple playthroughs? I can't imagine how long it would take to do all main and side quests. I might have to invest in Skyrim during the gaming drought that is summer.

I know the game in depth because I've played like 40 hours in 5 days haha. I'm just for now doing all the guilds/companions to try out and main quest line. Not doing side quests unless they are relevant or have a big reward I need yet.

Anti Hero
11-16-2011, 05:19 PM
damn it.... I am not totally happy with what I have done. I want to start over but it took me forever just to get to level 10. I'm pretty sure I'm gonna start over... I'm thinking two handed orc is the way I want to go.. the imperial dude is nice.. always finding gold.

Clippersfan86
11-16-2011, 05:20 PM
damn it.... I am not totally happy with what I have done. I want to start over but it took me forever just to get to level 10. I'm pretty sure I'm gonna start over... I'm thinking two handed orc is the way I want to go.. the imperial dude is nice.. always finding gold.

How do you make companions find gold? Maybe it's limited... to certain ones?

Anti Hero
11-16-2011, 05:24 PM
How do you make companions find gold? Maybe it's limited... to certain ones?
No, I am the imperial. That was the race I picked for my first character. half mage half one handed warrior..

I can never figure out which weapon I want to use.. usually a single handed mace or ax and a destruction spell. Then I got dual cast, and that was bad ass..

Clippersfan86
11-16-2011, 05:25 PM
No, I am the imperial. That was the race I picked for my first character. half mage half one handed warrior..

I can never figure out which weapon I want to use.. usually a single handed mace or ax and a destruction spell. Then I got dual cast, and that was bad ass..

Nice dude. Yea I'm leveling pickpocket right after this Dark Brotherhood quest line. I need more money.

Anti Hero
11-16-2011, 05:35 PM
Nice dude. Yea I'm leveling pickpocket right after this Dark Brotherhood quest line. I need more money.

I gotta go to work in half an hour.. I'm starting a new 2 handed Orc. Gonna level up smithing.. Kind of sad that I barely started the game and I'll be basically doing it all over again. I have a better understanding of what I want to do now though.

Eventually I'll do magic again but I wanna do full mage if I do that. Not halvsies like I did before.

Clippersfan86
11-16-2011, 05:39 PM
I gotta go to work in half an hour.. I'm starting a new 2 handed Orc. Gonna level up smithing.. Kind of sad that I barely started the game and I'll be basically doing it all over again. I have a better understanding of what I want to do now though.

Eventually I'll do magic again but I wanna do full mage if I do that. Not halvsies like I did before.

As a Mage to be really efficient like mine you need to be a pure. Mixing classes isn't ideal but it is possible.

Clippersfan86
11-16-2011, 06:50 PM
PS3 owners.. if you're lagging like crazy it means you have too many save game files. I deleted 4 of the 8 I had and the crazy lag stopped happening.

Clippersfan86
11-16-2011, 07:24 PM
Finally finished Dark Brotherhood quest line. Guess the rewards? Best dagger in game, sickest looking horse (also stronger than normal) in game AND I'm up to 23k gold. Damn it was worth it. Now I'm gonna do Thieves guild quest line to get best sword in game.

RapsFan
11-16-2011, 07:42 PM
Can you join all the guilds regardless of your character? Is there a point?

Clippersfan86
11-16-2011, 07:48 PM
Can you join all the guilds regardless of your character? Is there a point?

Some are in conflict with others. So I'm not too sure. I do know as a Rogue you MUST do Dark Brotherhood+Thieves Guild if you want amazing gear, support and money. I'm about to finish up Thieves guild and get a power that lets me be completely stealth/invisible.

If you're a Mage you need to do the college to get best robes, good money and other things.

RapsFan
11-16-2011, 10:26 PM
Guess I am not strong enough to take on Giants and Wolly Mammoths! :oldlol: Just got hit with a club and literally flew 200 feet in the air.

Clippersfan86
11-16-2011, 10:26 PM
Gonna level archery now with Fenreal glitch. I'm pretty gimped with all of us being melee. Figure I'll get ranged down for ranged enemies/Mages.

RapsFan
11-16-2011, 10:58 PM
Should I eat and rest etc?

Anti Hero
11-16-2011, 11:11 PM
Guess I am not strong enough to take on Giants and Wolly Mammoths! :oldlol: Just got hit with a club and literally flew 200 feet in the air.

I did the same thing.. :oldlol:

outbreak
11-16-2011, 11:27 PM
Probably mentioned earlier but where does the dark brotherhood quest line start in this game?

Maniak
11-16-2011, 11:32 PM
Probably mentioned earlier but where does the dark brotherhood quest line start in this game?
You gotta look around like Whiterun I think and talk to people like guards. They'll mention a kid whose been trying to sacrifice stuff. Aventus Ariento. His house can be very hard to find but look around. Took me an hour. You need to lockpick into his house then he'll ask you to go kill a lady. blah blah blah.

Clippersfan86
11-16-2011, 11:33 PM

http://elderscrolls.wikia.com/wiki/Dark_Brotherhood_(Skyrim)

Go talk to little boy....mentioned here. Then rest/travel/do your own thing for a few days and a letter will come to you by courier. Then just sleep somewhere for a couple hours and bam you start the quest line.

Clippersfan86
11-17-2011, 12:05 AM
So I'm leveling Conjuration to 40 afterall. Because bound bow.. with the perk to increase bound weapon damage is the best bow. You never need to replenish arrows. Once I have 40 Conjuration it's back to Pickpocket, One handed and Archery.

MichaelCheazley
11-17-2011, 12:06 AM
Guys, big oblivion fan here. Can you answer some of my questions please?
1.What is the equivalent of the oblivion ports?
2. In oblivion there werent that many different types of monsters to fight? How many different types of creatures are there?
3.Any daedra in the game?
4.Are all the guilds still in the game? Any new ones?
5.Is the world bigger than that of oblivion's?
6. Any cool mini games/questlines such a the Arena in oblivion?

Thanks guys!

Clippersfan86
11-17-2011, 12:14 AM
Guys, big oblivion fan here. Can you answer some of my questions please?
1.What is the equivalent of the oblivion ports?
2. In oblivion there werent that many different types of monsters to fight? How many different types of creatures are there?
3.Any daedra in the game?
4.Are all the guilds still in the game? Any new ones?
5.Is the world bigger than that of oblivion's?
6. Any cool mini games/questlines such a the Arena in oblivion?

Thanks guys!

1. You mean going into the demon worlds? They don't have anything like that.

2. There are WAY WAY WAY more things to fight and way more content. This game is more enjoyable in every way.

3. I haven't encountered any but yes... because there are Daedra hunters.

4. There are a ton of factions. They aren't called guilds anymore though.

5. Yes the world is bigger. More importantly though.. within the huge world there is literally 3+ times more content. Unlike Oblivion where the world revolved around you at times.. in Skyrim everything and everyone does their own thing even without you.

6. Not sure on mini games yet. Haven't looked.

MichaelCheazley
11-17-2011, 12:17 AM
1. You mean going into the demon worlds? They don't have anything like that.

I mean like. Something you frequently encounter in the main quest and revolve around the main quest? Dragons maybe? I dont know? So if I liked oblivion, Ill love this?

BTW ty Clippersfan! Repped with my measly reps! I will buy this game along with gears 3 and 2k12 eventually.

Clippersfan86
11-17-2011, 12:20 AM
I mean like. Something you frequently encounter in the main quest and revolve around the main quest? Dragons maybe? I dont know? So if I liked oblivion, Ill love this?

BTW ty Clippersfan! Repped with my measly reps! I will buy this game along with gears 3 and 2k12 eventually.

You answered your own question lol. The plot is about dragons and that's your "arch nemesis" if you will similar to the Daedra in Oblivion. Thanks for rep.

Maniak
11-17-2011, 12:39 AM
Yeah when you're walking around you can encounter random dragons.

As far as the arena goes, I haven't come across such a thing yet. I haven't been everywhere yet though. Theres lots of mini-quests and stuff you can do. There is still housing and its actually possible to get married.

Qwyjibo
11-17-2011, 12:41 AM
Every medieval RPG should have two things. An arena and a brothel.

Maniak
11-17-2011, 12:51 AM
Bethesda leaves it up to the modders for the nudity and sex(regarding the brothel).

Clippersfan86
11-17-2011, 12:55 AM
Got Conjuration to 40 using a trick. Just be near a red dot on map but don't get close enough for them to attack/see you... and keep spamming summoned weapons. Put it away, then create another. Every 1-2 summons= 1 level. First get Mage robes and put points into Conjuration skill that lowers cost of spells in conjuration. Also you NEED to put a point into increase bound weapon damage if you're a warrior/rogue wanting to use conjured weapons. Your weapon skill scales with conjured. Now I can summon a demon and a sick bow as a Rogue :cheers: .

Maniak
11-17-2011, 01:04 AM
There is actually a LOT of cities I haven't been to. I guess thats because nothing has directed me to them.

OmniStrife
11-17-2011, 10:09 AM
This game is amazing.

Combine it with future mods and it could very well be a contender for the GOAT game.

Clippersfan86
11-17-2011, 11:36 AM
My only complaint is I had to disable autosave to stop lag and decreased frame rates. I've learned to save extremely often so don't need it anyways.

glidedrxlr22
11-17-2011, 02:26 PM
Can you guys stop posting about this game? You're making me wanna get it.

Clippersfan86
11-17-2011, 03:04 PM
Lol. So I went back to Marcurio as a companion. Mainly because he's just too damn powerful to pass up and me not having a caster in party is hurting my power a lot. I had Mjoll The Lioness as tank for a while but she's not the strongest. Stenvar is by far the best melee companion that I've tried so far and Marcurio is best ranged companion. Unfortunately I've killed Meeko and Vigilance on accident so I'm stuck with immortal dog that pushes you all over the place if I want a dog :( .

Right now I'm almost done with Thief Guild quests.

KeylessEntry
11-17-2011, 04:49 PM
I find that the most common reason that I am reloading saves is not because I died but because I accidentally killed Meeko. I have probably wasted an hour or more redoing content just because that stupid dog died, but I love him too much to give him up.

Clippersfan86
11-17-2011, 05:07 PM
I find that the most common reason that I am reloading saves is not because I died but because I accidentally killed Meeko. I have probably wasted an hour or more redoing content just because that stupid dog died, but I love him too much to give him up.

I know ; (. I messed up bro. I killed both dogs! So now I'm rolling dogless because the stupid demon dog is annoying. I hate how easily those dogs are to kill for the player! I think I may start over again and exploit the glitch but this time go ranged instead....Like 99 range, 99 sneak, 99 pickpocket. Then do 1h after.

Clippersfan86
11-17-2011, 05:14 PM
I want to play this character though because I have 10k gold+ a fully furnished nice house+ a hot wife+ the best horse in game+ best dagger in game. I mean I already completed the Dark Brotherhood and most of Thieves Guild too!

Burgz
11-17-2011, 05:29 PM

unfortunately i bought the console version of this game

no mods for me...

Burgz
11-17-2011, 05:29 PM
im having trouble finding mission that pay out a lot of gold

im at level 17 and only have 3k in gold, dont even have a house yet

any tips???

LJJ
11-17-2011, 05:31 PM
im having trouble finding mission that pay out a lot of gold

im at level 17 and only have 3k in gold, dont even have a house yet

any tips???

Damn bro, I think I bought my first house at level 5. The routine is pretty simple: kill dudes, take all the expensive equipment, sell that shit. That is a huge source of income right there.

Burgz
11-17-2011, 05:46 PM
Damn bro, I think I bought my first house at level 5. The routine is pretty simple: kill dudes, take all the expensive equipment, sell that shit. That is a huge source of income right there.

haha

i spend a lot of my money on training

do you know anything about increasing speech quickly? If anyone does that would be great, because I think my problem is I dont get enough money for the things Im selling

G-train
11-17-2011, 05:52 PM
Should I eat and rest etc?

Sleeping in a bed increases skills by 10% for 24 hours I think.

Clippersfan86
11-17-2011, 06:53 PM
Just got Nightingale sword near end of Thieves Guild quest line. About to get their full armor! Damn being a Rogue pays off. So much support of gear, money etc from quest line.

G-train
11-17-2011, 07:01 PM
Just got Nightingale sword near end of Thieves Guild quest line. About to get their full armor! Damn being a Rogue pays off. So much support of gear, money etc from quest line.

My main man is a Nord Warrior, specialising in 2 handed sword and heavy armour. Is this quest still doable or do you need loads of sneak?

Clippersfan86
11-17-2011, 07:23 PM
My main man is a Nord Warrior, specialising in 2 handed sword and heavy armour. Is this quest still doable or do you need loads of sneak?

Naw dude it's very much doable. You don't need to be a Rogue for Thieves Guild+Dark Brotherhood, though it's easier and more ideal. Just like as a Rogue I can do the Mage College quest line. As a Warrior.. if you dual wield it's a MUST to do the Thieves Guild. I just got 2 sick as* swords 90 percent through their quest line. One in a display case and the other from an NPC for a reward. So now I have best dagger in game+ 2 sick swords to alternate.

G-train
11-17-2011, 07:29 PM
Naw dude it's very much doable. You don't need to be a Rogue for Thieves Guild+Dark Brotherhood, though it's easier and more ideal. Just like as a Rogue I can do the Mage College quest line. As a Warrior.. if you dual wield it's a MUST to do the Thieves Guild. I just got 2 sick as* swords 90 percent through their quest line. One in a display case and the other from an NPC for a reward. So now I have best dagger in game+ 2 sick swords to alternate.

one handed swords or two handed?

Clippersfan86
11-17-2011, 07:33 PM
one handed swords or two handed?

Both 1 handed. Stats on them are...

Chillrend:

24 damage, 13 weight, value 873.
Target takes 15 points frost damage and chance to paralyze for 2 seconds.

Nightingale Blade:

22 damage, 12 weight, value 851.

Steals 10 points of health and stamina per second from target.

My dagger from Dark Brotherhood quest line..

Blade of Woe

24 damage, 7 weight, value 880.

Steals 10 points of health per swing.

I'm now a Nightingale (special forces of Thieves Guild basically), leader of Thieves Guild AND leader of Dark Brotherhood. Basically I run sh** like a mob boss. 3 bases, one big home (fully furnished) and 2 guest houses from quests. Yup I'm a boss.

Clippersfan86
11-17-2011, 07:37 PM
OMG. Nightingale armor is SO sexy. I look like Robin Hood mixed with Batman :oldlol: . Seriously badass.

Maniak
11-17-2011, 07:40 PM
Has anyone bothered to spec into illusion?

Clippersfan86
11-17-2011, 07:40 PM
About to get to pick one of these insanely powerful powers.

"You must then speak to Karliah, and she explains to you the choice you must make between the Agent of Strife, Subterfurge and Stealth. To pick one, you must simply step on the corresponding moon. They give you greater Powers, useable once a day.

The crescent moon represents the Agent of Shadow/Stealth, who's the master of remaining unseen. Once a day, you can activate it for 120 seconds and you'll automatically become invisible while stealthing.

The half moon represents the Agent of Subterfuge, who utilizes shadow to cloud the judgement around him. Once a day, you can activate it for 30 seconds in order to make people and creatures on the spell's area of effect attack anyone nearby.

The full moon represents the Agent of Strife, and once a day you can use it, instantly absorbing 100 Health points from the target."

G-train
11-17-2011, 07:41 PM
Interesting.
I am interested in that real estate, not so much the swords now.
My Greatsword does 37 damage, and I presume I can find even better ones. I can put down a Dragon with it in about 30-45 seconds.

What quest line will get me the large house?

G-train
11-17-2011, 07:44 PM
A friend of mine somehow puts out 240 damage with something he does with an orc. Thats crazy.
He gained the ability that gives me 6 times power on stealth kills. So if he stealth kills someone when in berserker mode with a weapon that has 20 in damage he actually does 240 points of damage.

Clippersfan86
11-17-2011, 07:45 PM
Interesting.
I am interested in that real estate, not so much the swords now.
My Greatsword does 37 damage, and I presume I can find even better ones. I can put down a Dragon with it in about 30-45 seconds.

What quest line will get me the large house?

Oh I bought it with my 23k gold. I spent like 5k on house and another 2-3k on furnishings. I got all that gold from doing Dark Brotherhood. Final quest you can decide to tell truth that payment was 20k gold or lie and say 10k or 5k. I said 5k.. so got to keep the 15k difference on top of what I already had lol.

Clippersfan86
11-17-2011, 07:49 PM
A friend of mine somehow puts out 240 damage with something he does with an orc. Thats crazy.
He gained the ability that gives me 6 times power on stealth kills. So if he stealth kills someone when in berserker mode with a weapon that has 20 in damage he actually does 240 points of damage.

I do 30x damage for all one handed sneak attacks. :oldlol:. Jester Gloves from Dark Brotherhood double all sneak attack damage and my skills I learned give me 15x without gloves. So I'd be doing.... 720 damage while your friend does 240.

I have 4 really good sets of armor. Dark Brotherhood, Jester, Thieves Guild and Nightingale. It's cool because I match them up based on what I need. Sometimes I have to combine up to 3 of the sets for example to get most efficient killing.. or most efficient pickpocketing.

Maniak
11-17-2011, 08:23 PM
I bought the house in Windhelm, but man, its messed up. I really do not want to investigate this. Creepy.

G-train
11-17-2011, 08:55 PM
Oh I bought it with my 23k gold. I spent like 5k on house and another 2-3k on furnishings. I got all that gold from doing Dark Brotherhood. Final quest you can decide to tell truth that payment was 20k gold or lie and say 10k or 5k. I said 5k.. so got to keep the 15k difference on top of what I already had lol.

cool, i only have the 5k house in whitehall, only on level 8. all fitted out. the food etc is a nice bonus lol.
I tried every type of person up to about level 5 and went back to the original.

G-train
11-17-2011, 08:56 PM
I do 30x damage for all one handed sneak attacks. :oldlol:. Jester Gloves from Dark Brotherhood double all sneak attack damage and my skills I learned give me 15x without gloves. So I'd be doing.... 720 damage while your friend does 240.

I have 4 really good sets of armor. Dark Brotherhood, Jester, Thieves Guild and Nightingale. It's cool because I match them up based on what I need. Sometimes I have to combine up to 3 of the sets for example to get most efficient killing.. or most efficient pickpocketing.

ah fair enough, neither of us have put in serious time yet. Is any of that armour heavy?

G-train
11-17-2011, 09:02 PM
STICKY this thread I reckon :cheers:

Clippersfan86
11-17-2011, 11:43 PM
ah fair enough, neither of us have put in serious time yet. Is any of that armour heavy?

I've put in like 60 hours. All light armor.

KeylessEntry
11-17-2011, 11:58 PM
Is it worthwhile to level up smithing as a destruction/conjuration caster type? I pretty much just stand back and let my pets tank while I nuke and heal.

outbreak
11-18-2011, 12:01 AM
So I've tried playing a 2h warrior and a mage, tonight i think i might make a dual wielding ranger\assassin type using stealth bow shots to weaken then hacking them down. Any tips for that type of play style? Thinking either a wood elf or dark elf.