PDA

View Full Version : Want to read the owners proposal? Here it is.

InspiredLebowski
11-13-2011, 08:48 PM
PDF File (http://www.usatoday.com/sports/basketball/nba/nba%20proposal%2011-11-2011.pdf). 7 pages.

ZenMaster
11-13-2011, 08:57 PM
Looks good..

http://www.homeimprovementplace.com/wp-content/uploads/2007/06/contract.jpg

Sarcastic
11-13-2011, 09:01 PM
Wasn't the last one like 300 pages? You sure that is real?

SunsCaptain
11-13-2011, 09:02 PM
Deal looks terrible...Players will fight for their 43%!

:violin:

InspiredLebowski
11-13-2011, 09:03 PM
Wasn't the last one like 300 pages? You sure that is real?It's not the entire CBA, it's a summary of the points of contention.

SunsCaptain
11-13-2011, 09:03 PM
Wasn't the last one like 300 pages? You sure that is real?

Bet its just a simple summary/overview for everyone who isnt going to read 300 pages.

Sarcastic
11-13-2011, 09:12 PM
BTW, Stern and Silver are personally answering questions right now on Twitter, @NBA.

https://twitter.com/#!/NBA

NoGunzJustSkillz
11-13-2011, 09:56 PM
BTW, Stern and Silver are personally answering questions right now on Twitter, @NBA.

https://twitter.com/#!/NBA

One_Sage Michael Sadoff
@NBA using the D-league 5 year $75k demotion clause, are you trying to get out from guarantee contracts? Isn't this clause a bit too unfair?
4 hours ago

NBA NBA
.@One_Sage No such clause was even proposed

Pretty cool seeing Stern interact with the players though.

InspiredLebowski
11-13-2011, 10:00 PM
Pretty cool seeing Stern interact with the players though.That's true btw, there's no mention of the D-League in the proposal. Who knows where that came from, probably an agent.

Reverend Hoops
11-14-2011, 01:04 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_C4zaisIRxQ&feature=channel_video_title

:oldlol: Stern is too much.

JohnnyWall
11-14-2011, 02:04 AM

Do those facts bother you? Can't seem to twist them to make it seem like the players aren't being greedy f

Applause
11-14-2011, 02:39 AM
Stern to players (http://www.nba.com/news/Memo_to_Players_111311_3.pdf)

bdreason
11-14-2011, 02:47 AM
Not gonna lie, the deal looks better than I expected.

That amnesty rule should be interesting.

Fiasco
11-14-2011, 04:54 AM
Not gonna lie, the deal looks better than I expected.

That amnesty rule should be interesting.

I will be so choked as a Clippers fan. Because it will mean we gave away the 1st overall pick for nothing.

Fatal9
11-14-2011, 05:01 AM
I like most of the changes in the system.

LJJ
11-14-2011, 05:25 AM

Yeah the propaganda machine is in full effect.
:oldlol:

BoogieWoogieMan
11-14-2011, 11:25 AM
Did anybody see the Sign and Trade Free Agent part?

After the 2012-13 season, taxpaying teams are prohibited to acquire a player like this. That's going to make things interesting. :oldlol:

blacknapalm
11-14-2011, 11:33 AM

After the 2012-13 season, taxpaying teams are prohibited to acquire a player like this. That's going to make things interesting. :oldlol:

basically making previous MLE exceptions either retire or go to d-league. but ya know, it's all about 'competitive balance', making things 'fair' and making it 'even across the board', lol

i suspect the definition of 'taxpayer' will become much more broad as well.

InspiredLebowski
11-14-2011, 11:33 AM
I think the best part is "Dear Billy,"

InspiredLebowski
11-14-2011, 11:36 AM

After the 2012-13 season, taxpaying teams are prohibited to acquire a player like this. That's going to make things interesting. :oldlol:If you can't get under the tax while being able to amnesty two guys (who have a grandfathered in contract) then you've got some pretty major problems.

basically making previous MLE exceptions either retire or go to d-league. but ya know, it's all about 'competitive balance', making things 'fair' and making it 'even across the board', lol

i suspect the definition of 'taxpayer' will become much more broad as well. The go to the D-League for a prorated 175k or whatever is a complete falsehood.

blacknapalm
11-14-2011, 11:40 AM
The go to the D-League for a prorated 175k or whatever is a complete falsehood.

i already stated the d-league thing was a rumor. the MLE exception is not though and i actually don't have much of a problem with it since it affects so few players. i'd be upset if that was a sticking point for the players.

InspiredLebowski
11-14-2011, 12:06 PM
i already stated the d-league thing was a rumor. the MLE exception is not though and i actually don't have much of a problem with it since it affects so few players. i'd be upset if that was a sticking point for the players.My fault, thought that's what you were referring to.

TimmyDuncan
11-14-2011, 12:20 PM
I will be so choked as a Clippers fan. Because it will mean we gave away the 1st overall pick for nothing.

From Donald Sterling point of view, he saved a lot of money. You still have to pay the player you choose for the amnesty

But I agree it sucks really bad for Clippers fan !

blacknapalm
11-14-2011, 12:44 PM
From Donald Sterling point of view, he saved a lot of money. You still have to pay the player you choose for the amnesty

But I agree it sucks really bad for Clippers fan !

ha, now you get it man. it sucks for the clips since they have some real talent despite sterling. i really wish you guys had a better owner. owners like the NJ owner are better for the league.

InspiredLebowski, i get it man. there's been a lot of confusion over that the last week or so. i'm pretty much fine with the MLE. not perfect but good.

IGOTGAME
11-14-2011, 04:55 PM
4 year contracts lol....next

Jasper
11-14-2011, 07:44 PM
When I read the 7 pages ... my first thought came to mind was :

The owners want the players to play for payroll increases , instead of the players telling the owners before they play what they think they are worth.

Jasper
11-14-2011, 07:47 PM

Once again - the players are trying to dedicate their worth before they play.
The only benny is that the owners have a option to obtain another player or lose the option.

Sign and trades - I never liked .

Commish : http://espn.go.com/video/clip?id=7234584

decert: http://www.grantland.com/blog/the-triangle/post/_/id/9699/an-economics-professor-explains-the-nbpa-and-the-lockout

HurricaneKid
11-15-2011, 03:33 AM
Soft cap? Who the hell are they kidding?

Trying to calculate what the Isiah Knicks would have paid in luxury tax penalty. Pretty sure it would have peaked north of $8.25/$1 of salary or a total cost to the team of ~300m+ in lux taxes alone per year (assuming it is a marginal rate- 500M+ if not marginal). Of course getting rid of one of those terrible deals each year in amnesty would have lowered that...

Still, calling it a soft cap is laughable.

InspiredLebowski
11-15-2011, 08:01 AM
Still, calling it a soft cap is laughable.How? Soft cap has an actual defintion, you can go above it if you pay a penalty. Obviously a hard cap means you can't pay a cent over the cap. It's pretty clearly a soft cap by definition.

HurricaneKid
11-15-2011, 10:48 AM
How? Soft cap has an actual defintion, you can go above it if you pay a penalty. Obviously a hard cap means you can't pay a cent over the cap. It's pretty clearly a soft cap by definition.

How is it a soft cap when recent teams would be paying $8 in tax for every $1 of salary? Thats not soft. Its at the very least a firm cap. There isn't a team out there that would go near this. It IS for all intents and purposes a hard cap.

JohnnyWall
11-15-2011, 11:55 AM
How is it a soft cap when recent teams would be paying $8 in tax for every $1 of salary? Thats not soft. Its at the very least a firm cap. There isn't a team out there that would go near this. It IS for all intents and purposes a hard cap.

You don't understand what a hard cap means.

HurricaneKid
11-15-2011, 01:14 PM
You don't understand what a hard cap means.

Of course I know what a hard cap is. While this gives a minute amount of flexibility the real world application of this is pretty damn close to a hard cap.

JohnnyWall
11-15-2011, 01:23 PM
Of course I know what a hard cap is. While this gives a minute amount of flexibility the real world application of this is pretty damn close to a hard cap.

A $15 tax would be even closer to a hard cap. So would a $20 tax. Or $40. Or $90.. etc. But they aren't hard caps.

Godzuki
11-15-2011, 01:52 PM
i didn't read it but they change anything regarding guaranteed contracts? thats one of the biggest jokes about nba being spoiled brats, especially in comparison to nfl...

HurricaneKid
11-15-2011, 01:58 PM
i didn't read it but they change anything regarding guaranteed contracts? thats one of the biggest jokes about nba being spoiled brats, especially in comparison to nfl...

Except deals are limited to 4 years instead of 6.

Jasper
11-15-2011, 08:01 PM
6 to 4 means the owners want the players to earn their paycheck.

How many times have we've seen a final year contract player dial up their athletic play , but the year before was stagnant :confusedshrug:

I'd actually like to see a 3 year max , more player movement , and force players to play at their fullest potential all three years .

SunsCaptain
11-15-2011, 08:05 PM
6 to 4 means the owners want the players to earn their paycheck.

How many times have we've seen a final year contract player dial up their athletic play , but the year before was stagnant :confusedshrug:

I'd actually like to see a 3 year max , more player movement , and force players to play at their fullest potential all three years .

Agree. I think shorter contracts are better.

Jasper
11-15-2011, 10:37 PM
Stein , Buch, Simmons Pod cast brought up and interesting factoid :

Players could now sue the union and Billy Hunter from not representing them , and losing life time salaries :bowdown:

I'd lov to see multiple suits , because of this crap