PDA

View Full Version : Nick Galis: "Euroleague Scrub" That Scored 50 points In A Game Against Michael Jordan

Euroleague
11-14-2011, 06:40 PM
A History Of Greece (http://www.ahistoryofgreece.com/newdemocracy.htm)

The Greek National Team tours the USA playing the Tarheels, and the Tarheels with Michael Jordan and Sam Perkins visit Athens to win a tournament there. But the key to Greece's success is ex-Seton Hall Greek-American guard Nikos Galis, an unstoppable scorer in college who continues his amazing play in the Greek basketball league. Galis, considered Greece's Michael Jordan, burned the UNC Tarheels for 50 points in an exhibition game in Chapel Hill.

Meeting Michael Jordan (http://www.webcitation.org/query?url=http://www.geocities.com/nikosgalis/tournaments1.html&date=2009-10-25+23:43:00)

The year 1982, is remembered by Greek basketball fans as the year when two legends of the game met in the same arena.
Greece faced the UNC Tar Heels (North Carolina College) of Michael Jordan, in Sporting's arena.

25 year old Galis, played just according to his standards, but that was more than enough for young Jordan (who dunked flying over the head of a Greek player in that game) to say about him: "I think he's superb, he's a complete basketball player". During the game MJ teased Galis saying: "You're bad", as Nick confessed later.

Galis and Jordan met again playing in an exhibition game for the "DIMITRIA" festival. Galis scored 50 points this time and Michael Jordan, totally stunned, said: "I really did not expect to find such a good offensive player in Europe, especially in your country".

:wtf: :confusedshrug:

Heavincent
11-14-2011, 06:42 PM
Cool.

But not really

LJJ
11-14-2011, 06:55 PM
50 points when you are weathered professional in your prime, during an exhibition game against 19 year old amateur kids? Unbelievable ball hogging and bad sportsmanship by Galis.

Jordan went on to lead the USA to the Olympic gold medal two years later, with a team that didn't even feature any of the best US players. Galis couldn't even lead Greece to an Olympic qualification.

LBJFTW
11-14-2011, 06:59 PM
Wow, did you really just start a whole new thread on your newly found discovery that steamed from this thread which I've already addressed?

http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/showthread.php?t=239456

One American coached player scored a 50 point game against another American coached player. Had Galis been a born and raised Greek player who scored 50 against Jordan, it might be worth getting excited about.

Someone long cat this nonsense.

Positive
11-14-2011, 07:01 PM
http://www.reactiongifs.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/11/Dv5e5.gif

Nick Young
11-14-2011, 07:06 PM
So the American Nick Galis was good enough to score 50 on MJ, a feat also accomplished by the great Kobe? Too bad he decided to waste his prime dominating against scrubs in Europe rather than be brave and test himself against the world's best. Some people are just content being a blue whale in a small pond I suppose, still I'm happy for him that we gave him to Greece, I don't think he would have made team USA at the time, or ever

rodman91
11-14-2011, 07:17 PM
http://www.vgboxart.com/boxes/360/10720_troll_wars_ii_return_of_the_troll_king.png

Fatal9
11-14-2011, 07:20 PM
No one cares about your shitty little league that is getting dominated by NBA role players right now.

Heavincent
11-14-2011, 07:27 PM
http://www.vgboxart.com/boxes/360/10720_troll_wars_ii_return_of_the_troll_king.png

:roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:

RintjeRitsma
11-14-2011, 07:31 PM
Won't get trolled again!! (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rp6-wG5LLqE)

DRose1899
11-14-2011, 07:32 PM
This is just epic :roll:

Asukal
11-14-2011, 08:36 PM

Repped! :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:

swi7ch
11-14-2011, 08:46 PM
I agree, Galis is better than Jordan. :facepalm

HylianNightmare
11-14-2011, 08:51 PM
great thread would read again

taucesays
11-14-2011, 09:19 PM
Someone who likes to bitch about technicalities and small sample sizes using one game of a professional basketball player against an amateur that was still attending Sociology classes.

http://mindmyword.com/upload_news_files/folder_13/file_1_7.jpg

Rooster
11-15-2011, 03:53 AM
Jordan led a college team dominating every Euro scrubs has to offer.

By 28.3. Points in 1984 Olympics.

Greece never got any medal in Olympic basketball

Even with their American import Galis.

Think about it.

Young raw college boys.

Mopped the floor with grown men

From Europe.

Psileas
11-15-2011, 09:15 AM
50 points when you are weathered professional in your prime, during an exhibition game against 19 year old amateur kids? Unbelievable ball hogging and bad sportsmanship by Galis.

Jordan went on to lead the USA to the Olympic gold medal two years later, with a team that didn't even feature any of the best US players. Galis couldn't even lead Greece to an Olympic qualification.

When it comes to the bolded one, and going by the rest of your quote, this must just have been good sportsmanship on behalf of the professionals, letting 19 year old amateur kids beat them...

No, Galis wasn't in his prime in the early 80's, unless you also believe that Jordan was at his absolute prime in '87, because of averaging a career-high in scoring (and that's after an injury, btw). Galis' absolute prime came somewhat late in his career, between '87 and '90 and would last a bit more if he didn't get a pretty serious foot injury that prevented him from playing in the 1990 World Championship. When the injury healed, he still averaged 37.0 ppg for the 1990-91 season, at the age of 34.

Finally, I'm not comparing the 2, but you know damn well that Team USA would still easily win the gold medal with Galis in young Jordan's place and that Greece of the early 80's would still not be a powerhouse with young Jordan in Galis' place.

Go Getter
11-15-2011, 09:19 AM

:oldlol:

OWNED.

MaxFly
11-15-2011, 10:21 AM

Oh wow :applause:

Rooster
11-15-2011, 11:34 AM
When it comes to the bolded one, and going by the rest of your quote, this must just have been good sportsmanship on behalf of the professionals, letting 19 year old amateur kids beat them...

No, Galis wasn't in his prime in the early 80's, unless you also believe that Jordan was at his absolute prime in '87, because of averaging a career-high in scoring (and that's after an injury, btw). Galis' absolute prime came somewhat late in his career, between '87 and '90 and would last a bit more if he didn't get a pretty serious foot injury that prevented him from playing in the 1990 World Championship. When the injury healed, he still averaged 37.0 ppg for the 1990-91 season, at the age of 34.

Finally, I'm not comparing the 2, but you know damn well that Team USA would still
easily win the gold medal with Galis in young Jordan's place and that Greece of the early 80's would still not be a powerhouse with young Jordan in Galis' place.

Hold on

why all of a sudden

Galis is relevant here

Seton never even made to March Madness

When Galis was playing there

You look at Seton Hall retired numbers

you don't see Galis jersey

Hanging around the rafters.

Galis never played for USA

Because he can't even lead team

in the NCAA tournament

Why you putting his numbers in Europe

Like it was supposed to mean something

McAdoo who can't even get an NBA gig

His corpse was transplanted over

and dominated in the same time frame.

26 and 10 and the title.

Something Galis could never accomplished.

LMAO

Euroleague
11-15-2011, 12:25 PM

Finally, I'm not comparing the 2, but you know damn well that Team USA would still easily win the gold medal with Galis in young Jordan's place and that Greece of the early 80's would still not be a powerhouse with young Jordan in Galis' place.

Ignore LJJ. He is a huge troll. He claimed in another thread that he "watched Galis play in person" and then went on to claim "Adam Morrison and Nick Galis had the same exact skill set and style of play."....................

:facepalm

Never mind that they literally would be polar opposites in how they played.

The guy is just a pure troll.

Euroleague
11-15-2011, 12:27 PM
Hold on

why all of a sudden

Galis is relevant here

Seton never even made to March Madness

When Galis was playing there

You look at Seton Hall retired numbers

you don't see Galis jersey

Hanging around the rafters.

Galis never played for USA

Because he can't even lead team

in the NCAA tournament

Why you putting his numbers in Europe

Like it was supposed to mean something

McAdoo who can't even get an NBA gig

His corpse was transplanted over

and dominated in the same time frame.

26 and 10 and the title.

Something Galis could never accomplished.

LMAO

Galis was named the best player in Seton Hall history by Bill Rafftery, you tool.

Rooster
11-15-2011, 12:34 PM
Galis was named the best player in Seton Hall history by Bill Rafftery, you tool.

His coach?

If that statement holds a lot

Why the heck

Galis Jersey is not retired

Well

Galis never made it to the Big Dance

Terry Dehere did.

The scrub who can't cut it with Clips

LMAO

LJJ
11-15-2011, 12:52 PM

You don't understand the difference between official competition at the second highest level where there is a lot at stake, and a friendly game of a professional team against college kids? Aaalrighty then...

I said prime, not 'absolute prime'. Nice freestyle extrapolation of what I said. If you don't think Galis was at the start of his prime in 1982, or Jordan was at the start of his prime in 1987, then I don't know what to say.

You must really despise Greek basketball if you think a player, who is not even close to his prime, can average 44 points there.

And you must really think Jordan is god, if you think he was an MVP candidate in the NBA at a time when he was not even close to his prime at all.

Euroleague
11-15-2011, 01:01 PM
You don't understand the difference between official competition at the second highest level where there is a lot at stake, and a friendly game of a professional team against college kids? Aaalrighty then...

I said prime, not 'absolute prime'. Nice freestyle extrapolation of what I said. If you don't think Galis was at the start of his prime in 1982, or Jordan was at the start of his prime in 1987, then I don't know what to say.

You must really despise Greek basketball if you think a player, who is not even close to his prime, can average 44 points there.

And you must really think Jordan is god, if you think he was an MVP candidate in the NBA at a time when he was not even close to his prime at all.

Galis' prime was 1987-1990 PERIOD. You are just a troll.

Euroleague
11-15-2011, 01:02 PM
Galis led Greece to a victory over USSR and Sabonis at EuroBasket 1989. The SAME Soviet Union team that won the Olympics gold medal by beating Team USA in 1988. They beat the defending Olympic champions, that not even Team USA could beat.

Greece 1989 > Soviet Union 1988 > USA 1988

During the game, Sabonis had 19 points, while Galis had 45 points.

Box Score: Greece 81 - USSR 80 - Galis 45 Points - Sabonis 19 Points (http://archive.fiba.com/pages/eng/fa/game/p/gid/A/grid/4/rid/937/sid/2262/tid/291/_/1989_European_Championship_for_Men/statistic.html)

Video:

(Galis is wearing the #4 white jersey)

(Sabonis is wearing the #11 red jersey)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=94X7oyzlfeY

Sabonis, "the greatest European player of all time", averaged 16.4 points per game during the tournament, while Galis averaged 36.5 points per game.

Sabonis: 16.4 PPG (http://archive.fiba.com/pages/eng/fa/player/p/pid/7324/sid/2262/tid/2792/_/1989_European_Championship_for_Men/index.html)

Galis: 36.5 PPG (http://archive.fiba.com/pages/eng/fa/player/p/pid/8219/sid/2262/tid/291/_/1989_European_Championship_for_Men/index.html)

Euroleague
11-15-2011, 01:03 PM
Jordan led a college team dominating every Euro scrubs has to offer.

By 28.3. Points in 1984 Olympics.

Greece never got any medal in Olympic basketball

Even with their American import Galis.

Think about it.

Young raw college boys.

Mopped the floor with grown men

From Europe.

Soviet Union beat USA in 1988 Olympics.

Same Soviet Union team lost to Greece at EuroBasket 1989.

1989 Greece > 1988 Olympics gold medal medal Soviet Union > 1988 US Olympics Bronze medal USA

Rooster
11-15-2011, 01:09 PM

1989 Greece > 1988 Olympics gold medal medal Soviet Union > 1988 US Olympics Bronze medal USA

College boys.

Face it

Galls never made it to the Big Dance

taucesays
11-15-2011, 01:14 PM

The 72-10 Bulls were 2-2 against the Pacers in the regular season. Therefore Reggie Miller = Michael Jordan...

You are a perfect example of a stat scout. You know nothing about basketball. You are either a glutton for punishment or mentally handicapped. Keep it coming though. It's some of the only entertainment we get in absence of the NBA season.

Miserio
11-15-2011, 01:16 PM
Jordan > Galis > Kobe

I'm sorry fans.

Euroleague
11-15-2011, 01:30 PM
The 72-10 Bulls were 2-2 against the Pacers in the regular season. Therefore Reggie Miller = Michael Jordan...

You are a perfect example of a stat scout. You know nothing about basketball. You are either a glutton for punishment or mentally handicapped. Keep it coming though. It's some of the only entertainment we get in absence of the NBA season.

You are a perfect example of a troll.

Euroleague
11-15-2011, 01:34 PM
His coach?

If that statement holds a lot

Why the heck

Galis Jersey is not retired

Well

Galis never made it to the Big Dance

Terry Dehere did.

The scrub who can't cut it with Clips

LMAO

Seton Hall Athletic Hall of Fame (http://www.shupirates.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=12600&ATCLID=791880)

"Nicholas Galis (1991, Basketball, 70

taucesays
11-15-2011, 01:38 PM
You are a perfect example of a troll.

http://sinclairwatch.files.wordpress.com/2010/09/pot20kettle20black20by20john20takai20dreamstime.jp g

Rooster
11-15-2011, 01:42 PM
[QUOTE=Euroleague]Seton Hall Athletic Hall of Fame (http://www.shupirates.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=12600&ATCLID=791880)

"Nicholas Galis (1991, Basketball, 70

Psileas
11-15-2011, 04:53 PM

Or maybe you don't understand the difference between a completely indifferent friendly game and a game when a new, young National team tries to prove itself and is tested against teams with a level they rarely see. Friendly game, despite meaning nothing official, does not mean a walk in the park. You honestly think a strong team like UNC or Jordan (aka, arguably most competitive player ever) did not give a damn if they saw one player torch them?
BTW, you may not know it, but when it comes to National Team records (scoring, rebounding, appearances, etc), friendly games and tournaments are also counted.

Uh, elite players without major injuries stay at a level we can call "prime" for a whole decade or even more.
If you watch him play in both his 1982 and his 1987 versions, you'll know which one is better and more complete. His 1982 one is quicker, more mobile and had a little better vertical. His 1987 version was just more complete. It's roughly like comparing 1986 Hakeem to 1994 Hakeem or '94 Shaq to 2000 Shaq.

This is why I said "absolute" prime. Peak. Nowhere did I say "not even close".

LJJ
11-15-2011, 05:14 PM
Uh, elite players without major injuries stay at a level we can call "prime" for a whole decade or even more.
If you watch him play in both his 1982 and his 1987 versions, you'll know which one is better and more complete. His 1982 one is quicker, more mobile and had a little better vertical. His 1987 version was just more complete. It's roughly like comparing 1986 Hakeem to 1994 Hakeem or '94 Shaq to 2000 Shaq.

This is why I said "absolute" prime. Peak. Nowhere did I say "not even close".

Exactly. I said he was in his prime. I never said he was at his peak. So now you are basically saying that I was initially correct in saying Galis was in his prime in 1982 and you shouldn't have argued against it? Fine, I agree.

Psileas
11-15-2011, 05:50 PM
Exactly. I said he was in his prime. I never said he was at his peak. So now you are basically saying that I was initially correct in saying Galis was in his prime in 1982 and you shouldn't have argued against it? Fine, I agree.

You and I value "prime" a little differently. I'm not sure I'd equate prime with "dominance period". If I did, I should call practically his whole career his prime, yet, it's clearly absurd to compare his 24-year old version to his 32-year old one. If you want to go by pure stats or athletic ability, fine, name this his prime. But I remind you, if you enter a Shaq thread and claim that a "prime Shaq" was swept by the Pacers in '94 or that he missed the playoffs in '93, you'll get in trouble by Shaq fans, since you'd consider Shaq's prime to be the whole '93-'05 period (and similarly, Hakeem's prime to be '85-'96, K.Malone's prime to be '88-'00 etc).

Something more to consider: The 1981 (44 ppg season) or 1982 Greek leagues were significantly weaker than the 1987 or 1990 versions, especially the 1990 one. Don't think that just a few years can't make a difference in a small country. That's partially why the 1981 or 1982 Greek NT was a mediocre team and the '87-'90 team was at least among the best in Europe.

Nick Young
01-05-2013, 06:54 AM
Nick Galis, the first American scrub to migrate to Euroleague and become a superstar.

Anthony Parker, Nate Huffman, Jordan Farmar, Bobby Brown and Sonny Weems are all eternally greatful to the great American born American trained Nick Galis:bowdown: :bowdown: :bowdown: :bowdown:

LBJFTW
01-05-2013, 10:24 AM
How does a player like Vassilis Spanoulis go from being top player in the Euroleague to doing so bad in the NBA?

gabepizza
01-05-2013, 07:50 PM
[QUOTE=LBJFTW]How does a player like Vassilis Spanoulis go from being top player in the Euroleague to doing so bad in the NBA?

LJJ
01-05-2013, 07:55 PM
It's on a player to player basis. Some Euroleague stars like Scola, Anthony Parker, Prigioni, etc...become solid NBA role players/back-ups. With Spanoulis he was one of those players who believed that since they were a star in Europe they should be respected like stars in the NBA.

Ginobili even became a star in his own right, although I guess he's the only true example of that.

gabepizza
01-06-2013, 12:42 PM
Ginobili even became a star in his own right, although I guess he's the only true example of that.

Oh yeah I forgot about him. He is the only example of a player who was a star in Euroleague and came over and became a star in the NBA.

Fiba basketball
01-06-2013, 07:58 PM
Oh yeah I forgot about him. He is the only example of a player who was a star in Euroleague and came over and became a star in the NBA.
He is the only example if you don't consider players like Stojakovic , Gasol , Kirilenko or Petrovic stars , there are players that are playing better in NBA than in Euroleague but aren't considered stars like Pekovic ( I think he is top 5 C and because of that consider him a star but you probably wouldn't agree if I said he is a star ) , Rubio , Dragic etc. and you have players that play just as good in EL and NBA like Shved for example . Spanoulis could play in NBA just as good as in EL ( don't know if that would be good enough to be considered a star ) but unlike Pekovic he doesn't want to wait for a chance while players he's better than are playing .

Euroleague
01-06-2013, 08:49 PM
He is the only example if you don't consider players like Stojakovic , Gasol , Kirilenko or Petrovic stars , there are players that are playing better in NBA than in Euroleague but aren't considered stars like Pekovic ( I think he is top 5 C and because of that consider him a star but you probably wouldn't agree if I said he is a star ) , Rubio , Dragic etc. and you have players that play just as good in EL and NBA like Shved for example . Spanoulis could play in NBA just as good as in EL ( don't know if that would be good enough to be considered a star ) but unlike Pekovic he doesn't want to wait for a chance while players he's better than are playing .

Once again, gabepizza is a troll. Why do you even bother? The guy is a liar and a troll. Remember he was saying Pekovic could never play in the NBA, then that he would never be more than a 3rd string player.

Then when he got to play he said, "it's only because he finally had real coaches in the NBA and they made him improve by leaps and bounds."

This guy gabepizza is a ****ing dick.

LJJ
01-07-2013, 11:55 AM

Stojakovic, Gasol and Kirilenko all came to the NBA very young, years before they reached basketball maturity. Same goes for those lesser players, players who come to the NBA as high prized prospects don't really count. I'm talking about players who are supposed to be in their prime.

So that's a different situation. I'm talking about a guy like Ginobili who was an established superstar in Europe for years before he came to the NBA. The only other guy like that is Petrovic I guess, although the sample size with him is too small.

Pekovich is a question mark at this point, but he might get there also.

gabepizza
01-07-2013, 01:05 PM
He is the only example if you don't consider players like Stojakovic , Gasol , . or Petrovic stars , there are players that are playing better in NBA than in Euroleague but aren't considered stars like Pekovic ( I think he is top 5 C and because of that consider him a star but you probably wouldn't agree if I said he is a star ) , Rubio , Dragic etc. and you have players that play just as good in EL and NBA like Shved for example . Spanoulis could play in NBA just as good as in EL ( don't know if that would be good enough to be considered a star ) but unlike Pekovic he doesn't want to wait for a chance while players he's better than are playing .

Yes I forgot about Stojakovic, Petrovic and Gasol. AK47 came over to the NBA when he was 20 and was not a Euroleague star yet, unless you're counting last year.

Pekovic is not an NBA star, he is not even in discussion for an All-star birth.

About Spanoulis, every 12th man on every team believes they are better than the players ahead of them getting minutes, if not they should not even be suiting up.

Fiba basketball
01-07-2013, 02:09 PM
Yes I forgot about Stojakovic, Petrovic and Gasol. AK47 came over to the NBA when he was 20 and was not a Euroleague star yet, unless you're counting last year.

Pekovic is not an NBA star, he is not even in discussion for an All-star birth.

About Spanoulis, every 12th man on every team believes they are better than the players ahead of them getting minutes, if not they should not even be suiting up. Just because you don't think Pekovic is a top 5 C it doesn't mean he isn't . Spanoulis is underrated here because of Euroleague ( the poster ) but he is better than Rubio , Shved or Dragic and that's a fact , that's like saying Lebron is better than MWP , you can't argue that . Go to any forum about European basketball or ask some people that follow it and they will tell you that too .

Fiba basketball
01-07-2013, 02:21 PM
Stojakovic, Gasol and Kirilenko all came to the NBA very young, years before they reached basketball maturity. I don't agree with this ( well maybe you are right for Kirilenko ) , do you know how they played Europe ?

gabepizza
01-07-2013, 02:48 PM
Just because you don't think Pekovic is a top 5 C it doesn't mean he isn't . Spanoulis is underrated here because of Euroleague ( the poster ) but he is better than Rubio , Shved or Dragic and that's a fact , that's like saying Lebron is better than MWP , you can't argue that . Go to any forum about European basketball or ask some people that follow it and they will tell you that too .

Howard, Noah, Horford, Jefferson, Bosh, Chandler, Love, Gasol, Cousins, Lopez, Monroe, Vucevic, and Varejao to name a few.

And as for Spanoulis, in Europe he was better. The NBA is a different game, more suited to a player like Rubio and Dragic. Spanoulis played a full season in the NBA and did not impress.

LJJ
01-07-2013, 02:49 PM
I don't agree with this ( well maybe you are right for Kirilenko ) , do you know how they played Europe ?

I guess it's not fair to them to say they weren't stars in Europe, but Gasol and Stojakovic both left Europe when they were 20. They were very young talents who came to the NBA and grew into their potential.

Ginobili on the other hand was already (at least supposedly) in his prime in Europe. It's just a very different situation. No player other than Ginobili made the switch in his prime and maintained a star presence.

Fiba basketball
01-07-2013, 04:41 PM
Howard, Noah, Horford, Jefferson, Bosh, Chandler, Love, Gasol, Cousins, Lopez, Monroe, Vucevic, and Varejao to name a few.

And as for Spanoulis, in Europe he was better. The NBA is a different game, more suited to a player like Rubio and Dragic. Spanoulis played a full season in the NBA and did not impress. We clearly disagree about Pekovic ( or maybe on how good are guys you named ) but let's take that to NBA part of the forum . Spanoulis is better than them in any league , Pekovic played full NBA season and didn't impress but in his second he did so that argument isn't very good .

Fiba basketball
01-07-2013, 05:08 PM
I guess it's not fair to them to say they weren't stars in Europe, but Gasol and Stojakovic both left Europe when they were 20. They were very young talents who came to the NBA and grew into their potential.

Ginobili on the other hand was already (at least supposedly) in his prime in Europe. It's just a very different situation. No player other than Ginobili made the switch in his prime and maintained a star presence.
Well Ginobili played for best coach so that helped him . There is anothere player that was star in Europe and played good in NBA but I don't know if he can be called a star , Kukoc .