PDA

View Full Version : Barkley-Pippen Feud

rodman91
11-22-2011, 12:36 PM
http://i244.photobucket.com/albums/gg34/NBA7902/NBA%20Height%20Comparison/PippenBarkley.jpg

Barkley:
"For him to want to leave after one year, it disappointed me greatly.The Rockets went out of their way to get Scottie and the fans have treated him well, so I was just disappointed in him."

Pippen:
"I wouldn't give Charles Barkley an apology at gunpoint,He can never expect an apology from me. ... If anything, he owes me an apology for coming to play with his fat butt.

He's a very selfish guy.He doesn't show the desire to want to win. That's my reason for wanting to get away from playing with him anymore because he just doesn't show the dedication.

I probably should've listened to Michael (Jordan) a year ago when he said that Charles will never win a championship because he doesn't show any dedication.

I was very shocked to see what type of player he was by spending half a season with him.I'm a guy that's dedicated to winning, and I put out a lot of effort on the court. I expect that from my teammates, especially from a guy of his caliber.

You know he's not willing to go the distance. There's no reason for me to put my last three or four years at risk of never winning.

Charles is definitely one of the guys that needs to show more leadership for this ballclub to be successful, and he don't show that to me. ... He feels that if he gets 10 rebounds and double-figure points, he's done a good job. But that's not what the game's about. It's about defending, being professional and coming to work every day."

Sarcastic
11-22-2011, 12:40 PM
Pippen:
If anything, he owes me an apology for coming to play with his fat butt.

:lol :oldlol: :roll:

32Dayz
11-22-2011, 12:42 PM
Damn... Pippen going hard at Charles. :eek:

I always thought Charles played with passion and fury on the court.. wouldn't say he was lazy except maybe when it came to off-court conditioning and food choices.

He was one of the few players ever that kept himself from declining severely as he got older (except when he was injured)

Then again I am no Barkley expert so maybe I should take Pippens word for it.

Smoke117
11-22-2011, 12:44 PM
Frankly that team up was never right. The whole game plan was to throw it into two future hofers way past their prime. Pippen didn't leave the Bulls to stand around and watch Dream and Barkley post up. Rudy T should have changed that offense to include Scottie more. His game really didn't fall off till around 2001 when his knee's and back really started bugging him. The problem in 1999 was that the system didn't allow him to do anything in the half court but take jump shots. It's hard to drive when you have TWO GUYS filling up the paint and when all your coach wants you to do is feed them the ball, so basically the only way he could really get anything going was in the open court. Not to mention he was a creator and you can't really make plays for others when you are just throwing it into the post.

I don't think they are really feuding anymore but it is kind of sad how it ended on the Rockets as they had been friends earlier in the 90s. If anything this falls more on Rudy T for not changing up the offense more to accommodate
Scottie. You sign an all star forward and you don't really change the offense at all to suit his skills, but just continue a tired offense of throwing it into way past their prime Hakeem and Barkley? It's no secret Scottie was incredibly unhappy there and with the offensive game plan of the team especially. He was still his usual great all around and defensive self but that's the main reason why is offense suffered so much...the system.

Though to be honest, Scottie is probably right, by that time, I don't really think Charles really cared too much about basketball and just about the paycheck.

Pointguard
11-22-2011, 01:04 PM
I always felt this way about him and mentioned it in the KG thread a few days ago. His attitude was visibly bad, he had a rebound and point amount and was content with that. And when he teamed with Hakeem you could see his selfishness.

millwad
11-22-2011, 01:15 PM
Pippen was pure crap in Houston, his Rocket tenure can go to hell. He was the Muammar Ghaddafi of Houston Rockets that season.:(

rodman91
11-22-2011, 01:30 PM
Scottie might got fed up being third option to big names like Hakeem and Barkley.It's not easy to be 3rd guy after 6 rings,fame and 2nd to Jordan.

I don't know what was he expecting though..If you join Hakeem and Barkley, you are gonna get used less on offense for sure.

Crown&Coke
11-22-2011, 01:36 PM
At first, these two went after one another, blaming each for whatever gripes that had.

I know that Chuck eventually chilled out, saying that Houston's offense hindered Pip a lot, and that Scottie had a lot of responsibilities (like running point, being the perimeter defender, adhering to the offense, working through injuries) after the intial bubbling boiled over.

Could be that Chuck was jealous of Pip getting that 60 million while Chuck was playing on a much smaller deal at the time. Thats just speculation on my part.

Don't know if Scottie is still mad about it.....

Smoke117
11-22-2011, 01:41 PM
Scottie might got fed up being third option to big names like Hakeem and Barkley.It's not easy to be 3rd guy after 6 rings,fame and 2nd to Jordan.

I don't know what was he expecting though..If you join Hakeem and Barkley, you are gonna get used less on offense for sure.

It was more the system and the fact that they were way past their primes. Pippen was given practically no opportunities to best exploit his skills and talents offensively that one season on the Rockets. It wasn't an ego thing at all. Not only that, but he was used to being the leader and controlling everything and he really wasn't allowed to be a leader on the Rockets. He was much happier on the Blazers even if he wasn't scoring because he was able to assert himself more and he was obviously the team leader. I mean if you thought the "jail blazers" were combustible during that time...just think what they would have been without Scottie Pippen. I Saw almost every Blazer game he played with them and he had this incredibly calming effect on the entire team when he was in there and usually he was playing pg running the offense because Damon Stoudamire was absolutely useless as a pg.

Big164
11-22-2011, 02:30 PM
Barkley is about rebounds and a high fg%

Winning is a distant 5th behind cracking jokes and scarfing doughnuts.

97 bulls
11-22-2011, 02:36 PM
I agree with pip. Barkley, for all his talent, wasted it. He just didn't have that championship gear. He should never have been playing at 260/270 at 6'4. He was never motivated. Even going back to when he tried out for the olympic team. And bob knight cut him. Then on the night he was drafted. And then people wonder why I wouldn't pick him to start a franchise.

Big164
11-22-2011, 02:51 PM
Barkley and wilt are very similar, both were major stat whores who lost in the playoffs. The difference is wilt changed his game late in his career and won a couple rings.

Barkley never evolved, never adapted. Just a selfish bum.

eliteballer
11-22-2011, 03:56 PM
Did you see the dream team hall of fame videos/pics? They're over it.

D.J.
11-22-2011, 07:45 PM
That Houston team wasn't going anywhere. That team had a win now or never situation and that was in the 1996-97 season when they had Barkley on some legs, Drexler putting up 18/6/6/2, and Hakeem putting up 23/9. The '99 team was Barkley and Dream both at 36, and Pippen at 34 with a bad back. They had no shot.

But to Pippen's credit, Chuck was a very lazy player. But it was mostly on the defensive end of the floor.

eliteballer
11-22-2011, 08:06 PM
Rockets could have won with the core in 97 or 98 but they just had no supporting cast. Matt Maloney at PG, pushing 40 Eddie johnson etc.

brisbaneman
11-23-2011, 01:59 AM
This is going to rile up the Barkley revisionists on here

Micku
11-23-2011, 02:08 AM
Barkley did wanted to win in the 80s and early 90s. That's reason why he left Philly. And check out some stories with the Suns in 93.

Barkley just didn't have the competitive spirit like Jordan and Pippen did tho...I guess. They were always willing to go the extra mile and kept themselves in shape.