PDA

View Full Version : But it is not all good news

tomtucker
11-26-2011, 05:39 AM
no team can now spend whatever it takes to be competitive.....no more teams with many superstars......they will have to spread out to 30 teams....gonna be boring when you have to watch only 2-3 superstars per matchup........

UtahJazzFan88
11-26-2011, 05:41 AM
How is this bad for the league AS A WHOLE? Do people really want a 6 team superleague with teams relocating left and right because they can't stay competitive with the big market teams?

IGOTGAME
11-26-2011, 05:42 AM
How is this bad for the league AS A WHOLE? Do people really want a 6 team superleague with teams relocating left and right because they can't stay competitive with the big market teams?

yes. that is what I want. Last season was awesome. Now this bs.

damn, Owners screwing up the league.

parity is not good for the fans. it is gonna be boring watching average teams playing. the era of great teams might be leaving soon. I wonder if they have to immediately start paying the increased luxury tax.

LJJ
11-26-2011, 05:43 AM
So now teams with good long term management, a properly constructed team with good chemistry, a good mix of talent and good coaching will do well? Instead of whatever team that can afford to go deep into luxury tax?

That sounds awful!

Fiasco
11-26-2011, 05:43 AM
dude, as long as I get to watch the NBA, I don't give a **** if Deron Williams can't play with Blake Griffin and Eric Gordon.

lol what

IGOTGAME
11-26-2011, 05:45 AM
So now teams with good long term management, a properly constructed team with good chemistry, a good mix of talent and good coaching will do well? Instead of whatever team that can afford to go deep into luxury tax?

That sounds awful!

yep. it sounds horrible. spread out superstars suck. no one wants to see average teams.

No one cares that a lot of teams suck. We just want a decent amount of teams to be really good.

SleepyCorpse
11-26-2011, 05:45 AM

YES WE DO. Just look at this past season, best in decades viewers, because New York is back and Miami. Did the league do well with SPurs vs Nets? Cavs vs Spurs?

InspiredLebowski
11-26-2011, 05:46 AM
YES WE DO. Just look at this past season, best in decades viewers, because New York is back and Miami. Did the league do well with SPurs vs Nets? Cavs vs Spurs?Anddd...that led to a lockout. It's a 30 team league, not 10.

UtahJazzFan88
11-26-2011, 05:48 AM
YES WE DO. Just look at this past season, best in decades viewers, because New York is back and Miami. Did the league do well with SPurs vs Nets? Cavs vs Spurs?

I understand stardom creates ratings, but I highly doubt anyone will be seeing those Spurs/Nets type series' again. Also, the Cavs/Spurs series just wasn't good because the Cavs weren't competitive in that as a whole. LeBron was a star, Cavs just didn't get it done.

Anddd...that led to a lockout. It's a 30 team league, not 10.

+1

OmniStrife
11-26-2011, 05:52 AM
OP fails.

These are the best news to come out from this lockout.

Kblaze8855
11-26-2011, 05:54 AM
Nothing major is gonna change. It never really does. Long as there is free agency players will go where they want to and as long as it makes more sense to trade an angry star on his second or third big deal(like Melo) than to wait for them to sign wherever they want and leave you crippled guys can force their way out.

The Knicks got down to like 10 million in contracts.

The Heat had nobody but like Chalmers and Anthony on their roster.

When teams can totally clear out the cap like that by merely paying attention to who they have signed and for how long anyone can go anywhere. Especially when guys all mob up and sign deals of the same length like Bron, Wade, and Bosh did.

Team guts itself like the Heat they can still sign anyone they want. The Cap isnt going down and even if it did...it wouldnt by enough to keep guys from getting 3 big deals on one team and filling it out with garbage and guys who take way less than they can get to stay.

Teams like the Heat dont need any particular system to be built. All they require is for the players toset out to give themselves the option and teams to see what they are doing and get rid of everyone.

No system can stop you from signing 3 stars who already have 80-100 million in career earnings who can pretty much take a little under the max with the raises and still end up in the 13-15 million range a year with the added money of being on a great team that is in the public eye.

Nothing short of an NBA franchise tag system or something like...not being able to trade for or sign an additional player to make an al lstar team in the last 2-3 years if you already have 2.

The NBA has been saying the system needs to change EVERY time the CBA had expired...ever. And im talking back to like 1983 at least....

If you think that players and agents cant get guys where they want to be you just arent thinking it through. The real stars have been able to get themselves to teams they wanted since before free agency even existed(Wilt...Kareem...Oscar...plenty of guys asked for and got trades when guys were owned for life)

The sharing among teams will help the "poor" teams earn money but if someone doesnt want to play in Cleveland, or Charlotte, or on the Bucks or something....there is nothing anyone can do to stop him just going to play with his friends.

All you can really count on is getting the young guys to sign that first big deal. But they do that now. Lebron, Bosh, Paul, deron, durant....everyone...always...signs the big deal first chance they get.

After that guys will be as up for grabs as either. Especially if they set out to create summers where teams have 2-3 years to get ready to lure them.

DaPerceive
11-26-2011, 05:57 AM
I would much rather watch a league with a superstar or an all-star in every team than a league with 4-5 superstars or all-stars in 5 teams and every other team is filled with scrubs.

Fiasco
11-26-2011, 06:00 AM
kblaze killin it with the essay smackdown

knickswin
11-26-2011, 06:04 AM
but they are so cute together

http://sportsrandomness.files.wordpress.com/2010/07/melocp3.jpg

IGOTGAME
11-26-2011, 06:06 AM
Nothing major is gonna change. It never really does. Long as there is free agency players will go where they want to and as long as it makes more sense to trade an angry star on his second or third big deal(like Melo) than to wait for them to sign wherever they want and leave you crippled guys can force their way out.

The Knicks got down to like 10 million in contracts.

The Heat had nobody but like Chalmers and Anthony on their roster.

When teams can totally clear out the cap like that by merely paying attention to who they have signed and for how long anyone can go anywhere. Especially when guys all mob up and sign deals of the same length like Bron, Wade, and Bosh did.

Team guts itself like the Heat they can still sign anyone they want. The Cap isnt going down and even if it did...it wouldnt by enough to keep guys from getting 3 big deals on one team and filling it out with garbage and guys who take way less than they can get to stay.

Teams like the Heat dont need any particular system to be built. All they require is for the players toset out to give themselves the option and teams to see what they are doing and get rid of everyone.

No system can stop you from signing 3 stars who already have 80-100 million in career earnings who can pretty much take a little under the max with the raises and still end up in the 13-15 million range a year with the added money of being on a great team that is in the public eye.

Nothing short of an NBA franchise tag system or something like...not being able to trade for or sign an additional player to make an al lstar team in the last 2-3 years if you already have 2.

The NBA has been saying the system needs to change EVERY time the CBA had expired...ever. And im talking back to like 1983 at least....

If you think that players and agents cant get guys where they want to be you just arent thinking it through. The real stars have been able to get themselves to teams they wanted since before free agency even existed(Wilt...Kareem...Oscar...plenty of guys asked for and got trades when guys were owned for life)

The sharing among teams will help the "poor" teams earn money but if someone doesnt want to play in Cleveland, or Charlotte, or on the Bucks or something....there is nothing anyone can do to stop him just going to play with his friends.

All you can really count on is getting the young guys to sign that first big deal. But they do that now. Lebron, Bosh, Paul, deron, durant....everyone...always...signs the big deal first chance they get.

After that guys will be as up for grabs as either. Especially if they set out to create summers where teams have 2-3 years to get ready to lure them.

disagree. reports are that luxury tax is anywhere from 2.5 -4 to 1 now. reports are also saying that salary cap is gonna be around 58 million. How does a team like the lakers get under the salary cap with nothing "major happening?" Kobe, Pau, Odom and Bynum combined make well more than that....

InspiredLebowski
11-26-2011, 06:09 AM
disagree. reports are that luxury tax is anywhere from 2.5 -4 to 1 now. reports are also saying that salary cap is gonna be around 58 million. How does a team like the lakers get under the salary cap with nothing "major happening?" Kobe, Pau, Odom and Bynum combined make well more than that....That's the same cap as last year. Link me to a report on lux tax ratios. I'm not calling you a liar or anything, seriously, gimme a link. That's been a pretty big sticking point on my end. Either way, there's an amnesty (potentially 2 years worth of it), you can't get under the lux tax with 2 amnesties then your name is Otis Thorpe.

IGOTGAME
11-26-2011, 06:10 AM
That's the same cap as last year. Link me to a report on lux tax ratios. I'm not calling you a liar or anything, seriously, gimme a link. That's been a pretty big sticking point on my end. Either way, there's an amnesty (potentially 2 years worth of it), you can't get under the lux tax with 2 amnesties then your name is Otis Thorpe.

I am hearing reports about the tax on tv.

Alan Hahn
For those looking to already start fantasy roster-building, I've been told salary cap will likely be the same as last season: $58M. #NBA
11 minutes ago Favorite Retweet Reply

here is the salary cap thing I found.

so the Lakers have to get rid of two all star caliber players. Goodbye to great teams, hello mediocrity!!

magnax1
11-26-2011, 06:12 AM
You can get under the cap and sign free agents, but there really have only been 2 superstars who have ever left there teams that way. Lebron and Shaq. Building up teams with tons of talent like LA has done is going to be impossible now. So yeah, players are going to leave their teams, but I don't think anyone expected they wouldn't. They just expect them not to have another 2-3 all star players around them when they do.

InspiredLebowski
11-26-2011, 06:12 AM
I am hearing reports about the tax on tv.

here is the salary cap thing I found.

so the Lakers have to get rid of two all star caliber players. Goodbye to great teams, hello mediocrity!!I know. That's the same cap as last year. The luxury tax threshold and the salary cap aren't the same thing.

IGOTGAME
11-26-2011, 06:14 AM
I know. That's the same cap as last year. The luxury tax threshold and the salary cap aren't the same thing.
ok, haven't seen that yet. How high was it last year?

Kblaze8855
11-26-2011, 06:15 AM
The Knicks even with Amare and Melo are still 17 million below the cap after this season. It wont end up being that much with the rookie deals and roster being filled out but really...

With Chris Paul becoming a free agent can you see them signing long term deals this season with mid range free agents?

They will probably set up like Miami did and have guys ready to burn for cap space by just not picking up options.

The company that owns the Knicks generated over a billion in revenue. they are bigger than sports. Much bigger. If they want to make a superteam they can do it. It wouldnt even be difficult.

They had like a 120 million dollar roster in 2006 with nothing t oshow for it and a dollar for dollar tax that probably made the roster actually cost 140-150 million.

And that was to suck.

If they could sign chris Paul to pair with Melo and Amare...they could probably get the bosses to sign off.

Who knows though. I doubt the Knicks revenue is majorly impacted by how good the team is. Not compared to most teams. They sell out no matter what and will get people watching no matter what. So they may have less motivation to get people talking.

magnax1
11-26-2011, 06:21 AM
The Knicks even with Amare and Melo are still 17 million below the cap after this season. It wont end up being that much with the rookie deals and roster being filled out but really...

With Chris Paul becoming a free agent can you see them signing long term deals this season with mid range free agents?

They will probably set up like Miami did and have guys ready to burn for cap space by just not picking up options.

The company that owns the Knicks generated over a billion in revenue. they are bigger than sports. Much bigger. If they want to make a superteam they can do it. It wouldnt even be difficult.

They had like a 120 million dollar roster in 2006 with nothing t oshow for it and a dollar for dollar tax that probably made the roster actually cost 140-150 million.

And that was to suck.

If they could sign chris Paul to pair with Melo and Amare...they could probably get the bosses to sign off.

Who knows though. I doubt the Knicks revenue is majorly impacted by how good the team is. Not compared to most teams. They sell out no matter what and will get people watching no matter what. So they may have less motivation to get people talking.
You don't think New Orleans would trade Chris Paul before that point?

magnax1
11-26-2011, 06:21 AM

And that was to suck.

You don't think New Orleans would trade Chris Paul before that point?

InspiredLebowski
11-26-2011, 06:24 AM

And that was to suck.

Who knows though. I doubt the Knicks revenue is majorly impacted by how good the team is. Not compared to most teams. They sell out no matter what and will get people watching no matter what. So they may have less motivation to get people talking.Knicks 11/12 = Melo (18.5), Amare (18.2), Billups (14.2) and some scrubs totaling around 6 mil. Knicks are FAR from under the cap, let alone 17 mil under.

ok, haven't seen that yet. How high was it last year? If the cap's still 58 then I assume (which, makes sense? I dunno) the lux tax would remain the same, which was about 70.3.

comerb
11-26-2011, 06:27 AM
I would much rather watch a league with a superstar or an all-star in every team than a league with 4-5 superstars or all-stars in 5 teams and every other team is filled with scrubs.

History shows that you are in the minority. Basketball is most popular when it has a handful of really good/great teams. Not a bunch of mediocre teams.

Kblaze8855
11-26-2011, 06:29 AM
Building up teams with tons of talent like LA has done is going to be impossible now.

Nah.

I suspect the Lakers/Celtics to fall off soon and people will claim its the new system doing it but they are just due to fall off again. Getting old. The mavs are old.

The Bulls/Thunder/heat should have their run. By the time things really switch up we will be talking about the next lockout.

Look into what people were saying the last deal was gonna do and how it fixed this problem and that one and secured the longterm blah blach blah of the league.

And all of a sudden....worst deal ever its gonna destroy the NBA. NFL says it cant continue al lthe big deals and this and that....giving guys so much up front...all that nonsense. 20 minutes Later fitzgerald gets 120 million to be on a team that isnt gonna win with or without him and Chris Johnson gets 9 billion dollars and stopped caring.

Same problems as always.

Ive learned from these lockouts now...no matter what results when its due to run out everyone is pissed saying things have to change.

But nothing ever really changes.

The Brooklyn Nets will somehow have Blake, Steph Curry, and Andre Drummond in 2015 with people pissed off that the Nets owner with 18 billion dollars just bought a great team because hes looking to boost his teams status for his overall real estate dealings in the area and sell his new arena as a major destination.

Fans are pissed, owners demand changes or no season, and the bitching resolves nothing just like in 95, and 99, and now 2011.

magnax1
11-26-2011, 06:33 AM
So you think LA is continuing going 15 million over the cap when they're going to pay 60 million to do that? I highly doubt it. There will still be stacked teams, but I doubt the same teams are going to go as much over the cap as they want to every year just to stay a step ahead of everyone else. The same teams will still pay, but they won't get as much out of it. At least I'd be really surprised if they did.

Kblaze8855
11-26-2011, 06:34 AM
Knicks 11/12 = Melo (18.5), Amare (18.2), Billups (14.2) and some scrubs totaling around 6 mil. Knicks are FAR from under the cap, let alone 17 mil under.

Not now. end of the season. They only have Amare and Melo with douglas as a team option after this year. Fields was a second round pick so he has a 2 year deal that runs out this summer. Turiaf and Walker expire.

They wont lets everyone go...and as I said have to deal with the rookies.

But they are capable of being under the cap. Landry has to be resigned but hes the only one id say they have to get back.

But they have wiggle room.

Remember...Miami wasnt supposed to even be a player on the level the ywere in free agency. They just pulled it out of their ass down the stretch.

The Knicks have the ability to get some room to work. Really...

Melo/Amare/Rookies aside...

What keeps them from being 10 or more million under a 58 million dollar cap(which I assume could rise...they tend to do that)?

Anyone with proof otherwise feel free to provide it. Im just looking at the teams cap listings online.

Amare/Melo and their 40 million...Douglas team option....

3-4 for the rookie.

Is it not possible they end up well under the cap if they let everyone else walk other than Fields? Say they give Fields 5 million a season.

48-49 million in salary. Cap stays 58 or gets near 60.

Wouldnt leave room to fill out the roster if they used the 9-10 million.

Perhaps let fields walk or dont resign him till after they get another FA then use his bird rights to go over the cap?

Someone into CBA issues help me out.

InspiredLebowski
11-26-2011, 06:36 AM
The biggest thing to look at from this agreement is the lux tax ratio and TV broadcast revenue sharing. Especially the local broadcast revenue, that's a massive reason why every NFL franchise is so profitable. Obviously with 16 games every single game is on broadcast TV, which means HUGE money. Clearly not possible for the NBA. We've seen the local TV deals Boston and LA have signed, no one could legitimately say when certain markets are able to reap rewards like those it doesn't turn the league into haves and have nots.

InspiredLebowski
11-26-2011, 06:39 AM
Not now. end of the season. They only have Amare and Melo with douglas as a team option after this year. Fields was a second round pick so he has a 2 year deal that runs out this summer. Turiaf and Walker expire.

They wont lets everyone go...and as I said have to deal with the rookies.

But they are capable of being under the cap. Landry has to be resigned but hes the only one id say they have to get back.

But they have wiggle room.

Remember...Miami wasnt supposed to even be a player on the level the ywere in free agency. They just pulled it out of their ass down the stretch.

The Knicks have the ability to get some room to work.Billups. Though the last year of his deal is only on the books if he's on the roster 5 days after the 10/11 season, which...I have no idea how they'll decide when that was.

Cali Syndicate
11-26-2011, 06:43 AM
I understand playing for the highest bidder is monetarily the best option but players can still sign with the organizations they want to play for. Or is taking pay cuts out of the question?

Kblaze8855
11-26-2011, 06:46 AM
So Billups deal continues into next season?

I cant find anything on it.

I understand playing for the highest bidder is monetarily the best option but players can still sign with the organizations they want to play for. Or is taking pay cuts out of the question?

Thats always in there. Like Payton, Karl, and Artest did.

InspiredLebowski
11-26-2011, 06:49 AM
So Billups deal continues into next season?

I cant find anything on it.ShamSports, who's been by far the most reliable financial source in the past, says his last year (11/12) becomes fully guaranteed "5 days after the 10/11 season." So 1, when was the end of the 10/11 season? 2, there's probably an amnesty clause which I completely forgot about. So, moot point.

Kblaze8855
11-26-2011, 06:50 AM
Im talking about 12/13. Not now. next summer. end of this season.

InspiredLebowski
11-26-2011, 06:52 AM
Im talking about 12/13. Not now. next summer. end of this season.Then, sure, I guess. If they're cool with like 9 guys on minimum deals.

Kblaze8855
11-26-2011, 06:59 AM
I wonder if they would still have the MLE.

Paul/Melo/Amare/Fields/mle player

Im not sure any combo of even borderline NBA players added to that would result in a bad team. So long as a couple can shoot and a couple are the Joel anthony defensive scrub types.

Id have to look into what exactly the smallest deals are and what the heat paid and all that....but after the shit Riley pulled off im not ready to call anything impossible.

Once I say it cant be done they find some loophole where they can pick up guys from the NBDL and only pay them 120 thousand for the season and they fll out the roster with specialists who just hustle and shoot open jumpers.

To be clear...im not saying the Knicks WILL do anything.

I just dont put anythng past a team with unlimited funds and only 3 people on contract if they let Douglas walk and keep their rookie.

Real Men Wear Green
11-26-2011, 07:43 AM
Doubt NY really gets space for a max deal. The potential CPTrio would be awesome but with nothing but minimum contracts for the supporting cast is that better than spreading that money out so that you can have some quality roleplayers? They'll take over the Atlantic either this year or next year regardless but to win a Championship they need a tough center and a bunch of good defenders more than they need to improve the offense. If you've got Melp and STAT your offense will be good and Melo will get you the clutch baskets. The problem is the D.

OKC Adonis
11-26-2011, 08:13 AM
History shows that you are in the minority. Basketball is most popular when it has a handful of really good/great teams. Not a bunch of mediocre teams.

And a superstar team league is the reason the NBA is the 4th most popular sport in the USA.

Yung D-Will
11-26-2011, 08:23 AM
Lmao? Why do people want like extreme amounts of stars? If anything last season Wade and Lebron being on the same team took away from a lot of their amazing performances and domination...It worked out for them but I dont want to see it for every star

Yung D-Will
11-26-2011, 08:26 AM

parity is not good for the fans. it is gonna be boring watching average teams playing. the era of great teams might be leaving soon. I wonder if they have to immediately start paying the increased luxury tax.

No that's what causual nba fans want to see

LJJ
11-26-2011, 08:26 AM
I wonder if they would still have the MLE.

Paul/Melo/Amare/Fields/mle player

Im not sure any combo of even borderline NBA players added to that would result in a bad team. So long as a couple can shoot and a couple are the Joel anthony defensive scrub types.

Id have to look into what exactly the smallest deals are and what the heat paid and all that....but after the shit Riley pulled off im not ready to call anything impossible.

Once I say it cant be done they find some loophole where they can pick up guys from the NBDL and only pay them 120 thousand for the season and they fll out the roster with specialists who just hustle and shoot open jumpers.

To be clear...im not saying the Knicks WILL do anything.

I just dont put anythng past a team with unlimited funds and only 3 people on contract if they let Douglas walk and keep their rookie.

Of course they wouldn't have the MLE after signing CP in free agency. That contract already counts towards it. If a team has more capspace than the value of the MLE at the start of the season, you can disregard the MLE altogether.

Real Men Wear Green
11-26-2011, 08:27 AM
And a superstar team league is the reason the NBA is the 4th most popular sport in the USA.
What are you basing these statements on? Did you see the ratings for the various playoffs? Football is King but the NBA playoffs are as or more popular than anything else. The NBA did extremely well last season and that is based on the major teams being showcased, especially the posterchildren for what was allegedly so wrong, the Miami Heat.

Real Men Wear Green
11-26-2011, 08:30 AM
Lmao? Why do people want like extreme amounts of stars? If anything last season Wade and Lebron being on the same team took away from a lot of their amazing performances and domination...It worked out for them but I dont want to see it for every star
James could have won 6+ MVPs if he stayed in Cleveland and would have a lot more respect but the Heat definitely led to an upswing in attention for the NBA. A lot of it was haters wanting to see them fail but people tuned in regardless.

Yung D-Will
11-26-2011, 08:35 AM
James could have won 6+ MVPs if he stayed in Cleveland and would have a lot more respect but the Heat definitely led to an upswing in attention for the NBA. A lot of it was haters wanting to see them fail but people tuned in regardless.
I mean that's morefrom casual fans and honestly I really don't care that much about them because they're the ones who basically spend 95% of their time talking about Kobe and Lebron and can hardly named the 7 players on their teams roster

WhySoInsecure?
11-26-2011, 08:40 AM
Doubt NY really gets space for a max deal. The potential CPTrio would be awesome but with nothing but minimum contracts for the supporting cast is that better than spreading that money out so that you can have some quality roleplayers? They'll take over the Atlantic either this year or next year regardless but to win a Championship they need a tough center and a bunch of good defenders more than they need to improve the offense. If you've got Melp and STAT your offense will be good and Melo will get you the clutch baskets. The problem is the D.

We got SHUMP
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bX1OMc3l3N0
http://youtu.be/uf9wphGtMLU

OKC Adonis
11-26-2011, 08:45 AM
What are you basing these statements on? Did you see the ratings for the various playoffs? Football is King but the NBA playoffs are as or more popular than anything else. The NBA did extremely well last season and that is based on the major teams being showcased, especially the posterchildren for what was allegedly so wrong, the Miami Heat.

I am basing it on research by reputable agencies like Harris.

Technically the NBA is 5th as of 2010 but I don't consider Nascar as a sport.

http://www.harrisinteractive.com/NewsRoom/HarrisPolls/tabid/447/mid/1508/articleId/675/ctl/ReadCustom%20Default/Default.aspx

Nash
11-26-2011, 09:13 AM
Its the small teams, god damn I hate the small teams. I wish they keep on sucking for years. The NBA has been amazing with everything that has been going on this last year. Even people that didn't give a shit about the nba started talking to me about the game and they wanted to watch the games. But that wasn't good enough for the small teams and they had to f*ck the whole thing up.

Real Men Wear Green
11-26-2011, 09:21 AM
We got SHUMP
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bX1OMc3l3N0
http://youtu.be/uf9wphGtMLU
It's not enough info for an informed opinion on my part but that vid made him look like a short SG. Which could be alright if Melo is playing the point forward role he did to lead Syracue to the title.
I am basing it on research by reputable agencies like Harris.

Technically the NBA is 5th as of 2010 but I don't consider Nascar as a sport.

http://www.harrisinteractive.com/NewsRoom/HarrisPolls/tabid/447/mid/1508/articleId/675/ctl/ReadCustom%20Default/Default.aspx
A popularity poll is one way to look at it, but in 09-10 (http://www.spottedratings.com/2010/08/definitive-sports-tv-ratings-post.html) and 10-11 (http://www.spottedratings.com/2011/06/definitive-sports-tv-ratings-post-2010.html) the NBA finals were overall only second to the Superbowl in Championship-deciding series (the BCS title game gets higher ratings but not the other bowls).

pmj
11-26-2011, 09:25 AM
Kblaze I wrote this a while ago on another site:

Knicks cap number in 2012 will be at 44,862,631.

Melo: 19,450,000
Amare: 19,948,799
Balkman: 1,675,000
Cap hold x 8: 473,604 x 8 = 3,788,832 (and this # could go up in the next CBA, it’s based off minimum rookie salary)

That leaves Paul a maximum of 16,137,369. That’s WITH renouncing Fields, Douglas, Turiaf, AND trading out of the 1st round (1st round picks have a guaranteed cap #). The number for Paul would be even lower if they don’t do all those things.

They’d then have zero money left for anyone else, and you can’t use the MLE if you are under the cap. Everyone they get from there would have to be vet min contracts.

The Heat were much better off financially b/c they all signed together when the contracts were lowest, then took less money, so they were able to afford Miller, Haslem, and Anthony. None of whom are amazing, just pointing out that the Knicks will have even less after their superstars, b/c of the way they are staggering the acquisitions.

One thing I saw added was the new exception for teams under the cap now, which is $2.5 million. So the Knicks should be able to offer Paul what they have in space (minus $1), and offer $2.5 to Fields or someone.

I guess it's feasible but it really comes down to whether Paul really wants to go there, and take at least ~$3 million less than Melo and Amare.

Edit: to be clear, that's assuming a $61 million cap in 2012, which is generous.

Real Men Wear Green
11-26-2011, 09:29 AM
Kblaze I wrote this a while ago on another site:

One thing I saw added was the new exception for teams under the cap now, which is $2.5 million. So the Knicks should be able to offer Paul what they have in space (minus $1), and offer $2.5 to Fields or someone.

I guess it's feasible but it really comes down to whether Paul really wants to go there, and take at least ~$3 million less than Melo and Amare.
Devil's advocate: That 3 mil could be covered if he's the star PG of a Knick team that's battling Miami for EC supremacy for the next 6 years.

boozehound
11-26-2011, 09:52 AM
no team can now spend whatever it takes to be competitive.....no more teams with many superstars......they will have to spread out to 30 teams....gonna be boring when you have to watch only 2-3 superstars per matchup........
sounds great to me. If you only like watching "stars", I suggest you stick to dancing with them.

allabouthawks
11-26-2011, 09:58 AM
why does nobody like only 1 superstar per team?:confusedshrug:

its alot better teams being more even

just look at soccer people just buy the bestplayers/rising stars and stay at the top for decades

alot better getting a star building making a run and either winning or rebiulding

Real Men Wear Green
11-26-2011, 10:03 AM
why does nobody like only 1 superstar per team?
Look at Dominique Wilkins' career. You don't win Championships that way. And no matter what the BRI split is someone is always going to have more talent.

longtime lurker
11-26-2011, 10:30 AM
I'd like to know what exactly the OP is referring to. I'd like to see confirmation. If he's talking about the insane luxury tax amount, the funny thing is that it will actually hurt small market teams more when it comes to spending money to stay competitive. But the owners have never looked at it from a long term perspective, they'd just rather screw over the Lakers, Heat and Knicks.

Real Men Wear Green
11-26-2011, 10:51 AM
I'd like to know what exactly the OP is referring to. I'd like to see confirmation. If he's talking about the insane luxury tax amount, the funny thing is that it will actually hurt small market teams more when it comes to spending money to stay competitive. But the owners have never looked at it from a long term perspective, they'd just rather screw over the Lakers, Heat and Knicks.
That's not it, it's more like, "ok, we'll accept you beating us with your stacked roster all the time because you're paying us $." Although Miami and NY won't be paying that much tax. You have to get under the cap to sign FAs. If they use the MLE they'll be getting into that territory but right now it's fine. What made those past Knick teams crazy is they paid a ton of tax but were terrible.

OKC Adonis
11-26-2011, 10:57 AM
It's not enough info for an informed opinion on my part but that vid made him look like a short SG. Which could be alright if Melo is playing the point forward role he did to lead Syracue to the title.
A popularity poll is one way to look at it, but in 09-10 (http://www.spottedratings.com/2010/08/definitive-sports-tv-ratings-post.html) and 10-11 (http://www.spottedratings.com/2011/06/definitive-sports-tv-ratings-post-2010.html) the NBA finals were overall only second to the Superbowl in Championship-deciding series (the BCS title game gets higher ratings but not the other bowls).

Popularity contests are very relevant when we are talking about most popular sports, no?

The point is, the NBA has a ways to go to become more mainstream. I think an all star team league is not the way to go to get it more mainstream.

longtime lurker
11-26-2011, 11:10 AM
That's not it, it's more like, "ok, we'll accept you beating us with your stacked roster all the time because you're paying us $." Although Miami and NY won't be paying that much tax. You have to get under the cap to sign FAs. If they use the MLE they'll be getting into that territory but right now it's fine. What made those past Knick teams crazy is they paid a ton of tax but were terrible.

Hey I agree it is another money grab, but it's also ridiculously short sighted on the part of small market teams. Over the past 5 years Orlando, Cleveland, Portland, Utah and San Antonio have all payed the luxury tax at one time or another and I'm sure there are more small market teams that I'm missing. Why hinder your chances to compete in an effort to get money from large markets.

why does nobody like only 1 superstar per team?

just look at soccer people just buy the bestplayers/rising stars and stay at the top for decades

alot better getting a star building making a run and either winning or rebiulding

1 star teams are great for the wallets of the owners of individual teams, but they're not good for the growth of the league overall.

bigdog13
11-26-2011, 11:22 AM
Let's have 6 super teams but lets make them be Toronto,Indiana, Milwalkee, Houston, New Orleans and Sacremento.

allabouthawks
11-26-2011, 11:26 AM
Look at Dominique Wilkins' career. You don't win Championships that way. And no matter what the BRI split is someone is always going to have more talent.

then thats bad luck its stupid going running off and teaming up makes for a boring predictable seasons

u would win a championship that way if other teams didnt team up to

Blue&Orange
11-26-2011, 11:41 AM
why does nobody like only 1 superstar per team?:confusedshrug:

Let's look what a soccer legend like Valdano has to say about one of the biggest soccer derby matches (at least it used to be) Real Madrid Vs Atletico Madrid

""They were very tough games, there were only two foreigners and the remainder were trained in the respective clubs. The economic difference was minimal. The games did not give much on television and there was virtually no marketing."

Now? with marketing and tv money and no caps? The only interest is to know for how many Real will win. It draws absolutely no interest other than that.

I guess that's what the idiot OP wants for the NBA. Yeah parity really sucks :facepalm

JMT
11-26-2011, 12:08 PM

Era of great teams? Like who? The Heat? :roll:

11-26-2011, 12:14 PM
Expansion was a big mistake.

Charlotte should have never gotten a new franchise.

Split the league into League A and League B and do it like European soccer.

Lebron23
11-26-2011, 12:15 PM
Era of great teams? Like who? The Heat? :roll:

At least Howard and CP3 won't play for the Lakers and Knicks.

pete's montreux
11-26-2011, 12:16 PM
There were fleeting rumors two years ago that LeBron was going to sign a contract that gave him a small owning percentage of whatever team he signed to. Savvy and experienced agents will get their players the money they want no matter what.

tomtucker
11-26-2011, 12:23 PM
An even better solution for still having stacked teams, is that 20 mil. each for Kobe, Lebron, Wade and so on, goes down to 10 mil.....more then fair, NFL stars and NHL stars, even the biggest like Sidney Crosby "only" get that kind of money.....why should the big guns in the NBA not get that as well.

emaugust
11-26-2011, 12:27 PM
I must be the only guy who misses the 90's where every team had a superstar and it felt like every team had a shot.

IGOTGAME
11-26-2011, 12:32 PM
An even better solution for still having stacked teams, is that 20 mil. each for Kobe, Lebron, Wade and so on, goes down to 10 mil.....more then fair, NFL stars and NHL stars, even the biggest like Sidney Crosby "only" get that kind of money.....why should the big guns in the NBA not get that as well.
Lol at kobe of neon playing for 10 million and it being what the market dictates. Kobe has offered 40 million overseas...

The people who lose in this deal are the fans. League has too many teams, I wish they contracted 2 or 3.

longtime lurker
11-26-2011, 12:33 PM
Let's look what a soccer legend like Valdano has to say about one of the biggest soccer derby matches (at least it used to be) Real Madrid Vs Atletico Madrid

""They were very tough games, there were only two foreigners and the remainder were trained in the respective clubs. The economic difference was minimal. The games did not give much on television and there was virtually no marketing."

Now? with marketing and tv money and no caps? The only interest is to know for how many Real will win. It draws absolutely no interest other than that.

I guess that's what the idiot OP wants for the NBA. Yeah parity really sucks :facepalm

No one is saying that the idea of parity really sucks, but it should be natural parity, not forced at the expense of big markets and forcing players to only play for smaller markets. And the whole idea of super teams is exaggerated. Besides the Heat there isn't really a "super team" in the NBA right now. All the talk of Howard or Chris Paul going to the Knicks is just talk until it actually happens.

longtime lurker
11-26-2011, 12:39 PM
At least Howard and CP3 won't play for the Lakers and Knicks.

Actually this makes it more likely that Howard will be traded to the Lakers for Bynum and Odom. Orlando is currently paying the luxury tax and they won't take on long term salary this season if Howard might bolt anyways. Might as well package Arenas/Hedo with him and get clear cap space.

AI3Anthony
11-26-2011, 12:39 PM
My opinion may not be the popular majority, but I prefer the superstars to be evenly spread out with a fully competitive league. I didn't like watching 3 superstars on one team. I want every team with a chance. Buying talent isn't everything.. teams should be tested to draft and develop well, also.

Bigsmoke
11-26-2011, 12:50 PM
o well.

macpierce
11-26-2011, 12:50 PM
At least Howard and CP3 won't play for the Lakers and Knicks and HEAT.

:D

west_tip
11-26-2011, 01:02 PM
My opinion may not be the popular majority, but I prefer the superstars to be evenly spread out with a fully competitive league. I didn't like watching 3 superstars on one team. I want every team with a chance. Buying talent isn't everything.. teams should be tested to draft and develop well, also.

Agree fully. I would rather the drafting abilities of a teams front office and the coaching staffs ability to develop those players be the main determinating factor in how successful a team is.
Put it this way Id rather see more Spurs teams in the league and less Heat.

Parity has never hurt the NFL but people are petrified it will ruin the NBA. :rolleyes:

jlip
11-26-2011, 01:04 PM
News flash...There has never been parity in the league other than maybe the worst decade in league history, the 70's. The golden age of the 80's was dominated by basically only two superstar heavy teams, the Lakers and Celtics. Also, in a 30 team league it's impossible for a superstar to be on every team. If by superstar you mean franchise caliber player, there are not even 30 "superstar" players in the NBA.

Clippersfan86
11-26-2011, 01:07 PM
kblaze killin it with the essay smackdown

:roll: Kblaze always delivers the essay smackdowns.

DMAVS41
11-26-2011, 01:11 PM
lol @ anyone thinking this won't curb some of the spending of teams. its not the game changer that some of the owners wanted, but it will make a difference for sure.

Clippersfan86
11-26-2011, 01:11 PM

That sounds awful!

:applause: . I'd much rather see 15-20 legit good teams than 5 loaded teams and a bunch of watered down ones. This is the main reason I ever watched the NFL. It's MUCH harder to remain elite as a team in the NFL. You'll have teams at the top for 2-3 years TOPS usually and then they fall off and somebody else rises. Look at the last few Superbowl winners.

The Pats are an exception and are a dynasty... as are the Steelers who have won 2 recent ones... but you have teams like the Saints, Giants, Packers, Bucs, Ravens, Rams thrown into the mix too.

Point is... parity is a good thing. I love the new CBA or at least what I've heard. Even if it means the Clippers can't get another star.. that's okay with me.

west_tip
11-26-2011, 01:16 PM
News flash...There has never been parity in the league other than maybe the worst decade in league history, the 70's. The golden age of the 80's was dominated by basically only two superstar heavy teams, the Lakers and Celtics. Also, in a 30 team league it's impossible for a superstar to be on every team. If by superstar you mean franchise caliber player, there are not even 30 "superstar" players in the NBA.

Yeah, so if there are < 30 superstars in the league its better that they dont all play together right?

Lebron23
11-26-2011, 01:19 PM

Lakers, Celtics historically have alot of Superstars and All Stars on their team.

Kblaze8855
11-26-2011, 02:12 PM
Knicks cap number in 2012 will be at 44,862,631.

Melo: 19,450,000
Amare: 19,948,799
Balkman: 1,675,000
Cap hold x 8: 473,604 x 8 = 3,788,832 (and this # could go up in the next CBA, it’s based off minimum rookie salary)

That leaves Paul a maximum of 16,137,369. That’s WITH renouncing Fields, Douglas, Turiaf, AND trading out of the 1st round (1st round picks have a guaranteed cap #). The number for Paul would be even lower if they don’t do all those things.

They’d then have zero money left for anyone else, and you can’t use the MLE if you are under the cap. Everyone they get from there would have to be vet min contracts.

The Heat were much better off financially b/c they all signed together when the contracts were lowest, then took less money, so they were able to afford Miller, Haslem, and Anthony. None of whom are amazing, just pointing out that the Knicks will have even less after their superstars, b/c of the way they are staggering the acquisitions.

Ok so...it can be done....they just have to be willing to have virtually nothing else?

At least for a year till they can use the MLE and draft a rookie who they can go over the cap and keep I guess. So year one might be....

Paul
Shumpert
Melo
Amare
Scrap heap bigman who has blocked a shot or two

Then garbage on the bench. Couple shooters. couple hustle guys.

year two

That...plus whatever they draft and use the MLE on.

So they could have 2 young guys, an MLe vet, and a godly trio.

I could see the Knicks trying something that crazy....a few years ago. Abck when they were willing to spend 120(or 150+ with the tax) million on a team that wasnt even that good.

They might be trying to keep it more traditional now. Who knows. Interesting to know its possible though. Im surprised they didnt have the foresight to ask Melo and Amare to take 2-3 million less so they would have room for another star plus an extra role player or two next year. But perhaps they asked and they didnt go for it...

Either way...thanks.

eliteballer
11-26-2011, 02:14 PM
A star will take less to play in NY.

pmj
11-26-2011, 02:42 PM
Ok so...it can be done....they just have to be willing to have virtually nothing else?

At least for a year till they can use the MLE and draft a rookie who they can go over the cap and keep I guess. So year one might be....

Paul
Shumpert
Melo
Amare

year two

I could see the Knicks trying something that crazy....a few years ago. Abck when they were willing to spend 120(or 150+ with the tax) million on a team that wasnt even that good.

They might be trying to keep it more traditional now. Who knows. Interesting to know its possible though. Im surprised they didnt have the foresight to ask Melo and Amare to take 2-3 million less so they would have room for another star plus an extra role player or two next year. But perhaps they asked and they didnt go for it...

Either way...thanks.

Yeah it's rough though.

Best bet would really be to try to trade for CP3 this year so you can fast track the process and have exceptions next offseason. Maybe it's possible CP3 can force it and say he's going to leave either way if they don't.

Kblaze8855
11-26-2011, 02:45 PM
Say it or not...hes going to leave I assume. But a trade to the Knicks? Fields and Bill Walker id take...but I wouldnt take them and filler plus 2 picks for Chris Paul. Not that they would have many options if he Melos them.

LJJ
11-26-2011, 02:46 PM

If I was Chris Paul, I would never accept any sub-maximum contract when Stoudemire and Anthony are earning the max.

He's flat out better than those guys. If they want to play with Chris Paul they should take paycuts, not the other way around.

Clutch
11-26-2011, 04:44 PM
If I was Chris Paul, I would never accept any sub-maximum contract when Stoudemire and Anthony are earning the max.

He's flat out better than those guys. If they want to play with Chris Paul they should take paycuts, not the other way around.
Considering how much money he would earn from endorsements he wouldn't be actually taking a paycut.
Even if he signs a few million $ worse deal in NY he would earn more than if he signs somewhere else and he would be able to compete.

Just ask Amare what's the difference between New York and Phoenix.

Sarcastic
11-26-2011, 04:49 PM

The lockout was planned waaaaayyyyy before that.

Kiarip
11-26-2011, 04:49 PM
**** super teams. Let's see real basketball

Sarcastic
11-26-2011, 04:50 PM

Can you provide an example of when this ever happened?

Clippersfan86
11-26-2011, 04:53 PM
Can you provide an example of when this ever happened?

:applause: . People act like free agencies are lining up for NY. Don't forget Amare was a consolation prize after they failed miserably to lure Lebron and Joe Johnson.

B
11-26-2011, 05:43 PM

Not all true. Yes they can force a trade but it won't be easy to go to a team paying taxes or as in the case of the "Extend and Trade" like Anthony used to force his way out of Denver or the Garnett trade that sent him to Boston will be banned in 3 years across the board, no team or player will have access to this type of movement.

Sign and trades will be available to any team not paying taxes but any deal involving a tax paying team will be severely restricted in how it's applied.

Players will be able to force themselves off of a team via a trade but it might not be to the team of their choice.

Meticode
11-26-2011, 05:45 PM
I like this. It makes the league more competitive if this is what happens. While I don't mind the superstar teams facing each other, it only happens so often. It makes the other matchups less interesting to watch when they don't play anyone competitive.

tomtucker
11-26-2011, 06:14 PM
[QUOTE=B

sixer6ad
11-26-2011, 06:50 PM

:applause:
Best answer I've seen on ISH in a long time.

Kblaze8855
11-26-2011, 07:06 PM
Except it didnt lead to a lockout. There is a lockout or borderline strike every time the CBA expires. The league almost had a strike in 83 with the clippers and I think Kings missing payments. In 87 the union set out to use decertification and file an antitrust suit. They avoided the lawsuits and lockouts at the last minute. In 95 there was a lockout. And 98. And now.

Look into the history of these things.

Nothing in particular causes a lockout.

We get labor problems and lockouts EVERY time there is a chance for either side to get a better deal.

These fights go back to Bob cousy setting up the union to fight the NBAs "Whispering fines" the refs could impose on players in games and getting 7 dollars a day from teams to eat.

Greed causes lockouts. Nothing more nothing less.

longtime lurker
11-26-2011, 07:08 PM

Paul
Shumpert
Melo
Amare

year two

Either way...thanks.

They should trade fields for a couple 2nd rounders in the draft since they don't count towards the salary. Either convince Dwight Howard to sign for less and keep Douglas or make a full push for Chris Paul. Plus with the new rules I believe they'll also have the 2.5 mil MLE to offer after being over the cap. There is no way in hell the Knicks will get Chris Paul in a trade, remember the NBA still runs the Hornets and there's no way the owners are going to sign off on that.

Kblaze8855
11-26-2011, 07:12 PM
That is a great point. Who decides on trade matters with the NBa owning the team?

If stern personally trades Paul to a superteam you know people will be yelling fix/rig/whatever.

longtime lurker
11-26-2011, 07:21 PM
That is a great point. Who decides on trade matters with the NBa owning the team?

If stern personally trades Paul to a superteam you know people will be yelling fix/rig/whatever.

Not to mention it goes against everything the owners have supposedly been fighting for. There's just no way it's going to happen. Which is funny because the NBA owning the Hornets is just going to force Chris Paul to the Knicks in the off season.

Sarcastic
11-26-2011, 08:17 PM

I don't think Stern makes the decisions for the Hornets. They still have a GM.

Kblaze8855
11-26-2011, 08:37 PM
But no Gm could decide to trade a franchise player without some input from the higher up could he?

Sarcastic
11-26-2011, 08:45 PM
But no Gm could decide to trade a franchise player without some input from the higher up could he?

I mean, if the best deal that comes along is from a big market team, I think the Hornets would have to take it. They can't just trade him to the Kings for peanuts just so a small market team can have him.

HurricaneKid
11-26-2011, 08:53 PM
I don't know how in the world the cap would go up to 61M this year. The BRI split is going from 57% to ~50% (which is what the cap is based off). Which is >12% reduction. BRI would have to have gone up >20% to offset that reduction plus the necessary increase to have the cap go UP 3M. I can't imagine that is even a possibility considering the owners crying poverty. I think best case scenario is that it is 55M which means there is NO WAY CP3 gets to NYC.

HurricaneKid
11-26-2011, 08:55 PM
I mean, if the best deal that comes along is from a big market team, I think the Hornets would have to take it. They can't just trade him to the Kings for peanuts just so a small market team can have him.

The point is there is literally nothing of value left on the Knicks that can be traded. Every other team in the NBA could put together a better package.

longtime lurker
11-26-2011, 08:55 PM

I'm not sure how it works because remember Mark Cuban was pissed that the Hornets traded for Carl Landry last year? So I'm not sure if the owners have to approve it or not, but I can't see the NBA going down a slippery slope by trading him to any team whether it's small market or big market.

OKCThunderUP
11-26-2011, 09:01 PM

I don't understand how this is bad for anyone but Lakers, Knicks, and Celtics fans (and I guess you can put Dallas and Miami in here too?). It's going to equate to more parity. That's a very good thing. See: NFL. Their salary cap and revenue sharing gives all 32 teams a chance to compete fairly and it's why all but a few teams have a championship and no one team has significantly more championships than another. It's brilliant.

Copperhead
11-26-2011, 09:55 PM
Now that this lockout thing is pretty much over with, the Hornets will have a new owner very soon and chances are it will still be Gary Chouest along with a group of others. They were just waiting until this new CBA thing is finalized.

Also, if Dell Demps trades Chris Paul he's going to get the deal he thinks is best for the New Orleans Hornets, not the best deal for Chris Paul. And then Chris Paul can take it from there to try to get to wherever it is he wants to be.

People with all this trade Chris Paul talk act like crackheads and Chris Paul is the crack. LMAO.

Sarcastic
11-26-2011, 10:01 PM
The point is there is literally nothing of value left on the Knicks that can be traded. Every other team in the NBA could put together a better package.

Ultimately it comes down to where Chris Paul wants to play. Milwaukee could put together the best package in the world for him, but if he won't sign the extension, it doesn't matter.

Just because a team loses a player to free agency, doesn't mean they have to receive compensation for him.

ConanRulesNBC
11-26-2011, 10:14 PM

How would it be boring? Every team having a chance to be competitive so it's not just 3 or 4 superstar teams competing? It's not boring.

Myth
11-27-2011, 05:17 AM

As a fan of the NBA, that is bad news. As a fan of a small market NBA team, that is good news.

tomtucker
11-27-2011, 05:28 AM
As a fan of the NBA, that is bad news. As a fan of a small market NBA team, that is good news.

Yes, it is bad news for NBA fans that live in a city without an NBA team, and there are alot....also bad news for fans worldwide who has no hometeam to root for.

west_tip
11-27-2011, 05:33 AM
Yes, it is bad news for NBA fans that live in a city without an NBA team, and there are alot....also bad news for fans worldwide who has no hometeam to root for.

Fans that actually go to NBA games in person are the leagues primary and most important constituents.

HurricaneKid
11-27-2011, 06:22 AM
Ultimately it comes down to where Chris Paul wants to play. Milwaukee could put together the best package in the world for him, but if he won't sign the extension, it doesn't matter.

Just because a team loses a player to free agency, doesn't mean they have to receive compensation for him.

The package they could get from the NYK isn't worth losing a half a season of CP3. I understand what you are saying, I just said the same thing in the Howard thread but no amount of leverage is going to force that trade to NY.

Sarcastic
11-27-2011, 06:29 AM
The package they could get from the NYK isn't worth losing a half a season of CP3. I understand what you are saying, I just said the same thing in the Howard thread but no amount of leverage is going to force that trade to NY.

Who says they take any deal at all? If Paul doesn't agree to an extension, then no team is going to give up any significant pieces to get him for 30 games or whatever.

tomtucker
11-27-2011, 12:33 PM
How would it be boring? Every team having a chance to be competitive so it's not just 3 or 4 superstar teams competing? It's not boring.
The gameplay itself gets boring....you need 3-4 superstars on the court to excecute great plays, like a great dribble by Wade quick pass to Bosh who finds Lebron with a great pass and he finishes it off with an awesome dunk.......same scenario for Celtics, Bulls and Lakers........and so on......for chock and awe and entertainment we need the big teams.
also for passion and hate, and surprise when an underdog upsets a big team

Yung D-Will
11-27-2011, 12:39 PM
The gameplay itself gets boring....you need 3-4 superstars on the court to excecute great plays, like a great dribble by Wade quick pass to Bosh who finds Lebron with a great pass and he finishes it off with an awesome dunk.......same scenario for Celtics, Bulls and Lakers........and so on......for chock and awe and entertainment we need the big teams.
also for passion and hate, and surprise when an underdog upsets a big team

I get plenty excited from seeing a dunk from Ronnie Price or CJ Miles... The difference is when someone like Bosh does it, it's gonna be nationally telivised, when small market regular players do it no one knows about it