PDA

View Full Version : Ramnifications of a new Salary Floor?

Rowe
11-26-2011, 04:54 PM
Minimum payroll requirement -- known as "the floor" -- of 85 percent of the salary cap in Years 1 and 2, increasing to 90 percent thereafter.
http://www.nba.com/2011/news/features/steve_aschburner/11/12/fact-box/index.html

The NBA's salary cap is $58 Million. 85% of $58 Million is $49 Million. That leaves the $9 Million in cap space.

That means each NBA team under the Salary Cap will have to spend money each season in order to reach the Salary Cap "floor".

So the choice is either signing guys to longterm deals they may not deserve or signing role players to 1 year deals for $7 Million or $9 Million to preserve cap space for the following year(2012 or 2013). :lol

Free Agency is about to be a lot different going forward.

Sarcastic
11-26-2011, 05:21 PM
There's going to be a lot more "overpaid" players that people will complain about.

B
11-26-2011, 05:28 PM
http://www.nba.com/2011/news/features/steve_aschburner/11/12/fact-box/index.html

The NBA's salary cap is $58 Million. 85% of $58 Million is $49 Million. That leaves the $9 Million in cap space.

That means each NBA team under the Salary Cap will have to spend money each season in order to reach the Salary Cap "floor".

So the choice is either signing guys to longterm deals they may not deserve or signing role players to 1 year deals for $7 Million or $9 Million to preserve cap space for the following year(2012 or 2013). :lol

Free Agency is about to be a lot different going forward.

That's a 3 week old article. The topics it discuss are quite a bit off from the current agreement they reached.

bagelred
11-26-2011, 05:33 PM
90%....wow, that's a very small window........that's a little baffling

Qwyjibo
11-26-2011, 05:49 PM
You'll just see more crappy players signed as roster filler to bigger deals to reach this floor. A salary floor is a stupid idea because it just forces rebuilding teams to waste money on veterans that might take time away from their young players.

Rowe
11-26-2011, 06:02 PM
[QUOTE=B

Rowe
11-26-2011, 06:09 PM
You'll just see more crappy players signed as roster filler to bigger deals to reach this floor. A salary floor is a stupid idea because it just forces rebuilding teams to waste money on veterans that might take time away from their young players.

Yep.

I saw the hypothetical situation of Washington using the amnesty clause on Rashard Lewis' contract. Apparently, if they did make that move they would have to spend $33 Million this offseason to get to the "Salary Floor" for this season. That would be a lot of money to upgrade their team, but this isn't a good crop of Free Agents. They would rather have $33 Million to spend in 2012 and entice Free Agents to join up with John Wall.

However, if they dont use the amnesty clause on Rashard Lewis then they will be unable to make a play for any Free Agents in 2012. That is because Lewis will be on the books for the 2012-2013 season at $23 Million and they will not have any cap room to spend with Nick Young & Javale McGee expiring.

bagelred
11-26-2011, 06:25 PM

No no no......you NEED a salary floor....I thought 75% was a good compromise. With no floor, teams could spend nothing just to make a profit, compromising the integrity of the league.

UtahJazzFan88
11-26-2011, 06:30 PM
The salary floor is probably just a concession given the players. I'm sure a lot of the owners wouldn't necessarily want it, but will give it to players as a concession.

Haymaker
11-26-2011, 06:37 PM
No no no......you NEED a salary floor....I thought 75% was a good compromise. With no floor, teams could spend nothing just to make a profit, compromising the integrity of the league. word

knickscity
11-26-2011, 06:39 PM
The salary is a player benefit, because there will almost always be a team with some serious cap space.

Only problem is that it doesn't address all the bad contracts out there, an actual will contribute to even more.

The Macho Man
11-26-2011, 06:43 PM
Yep.

I saw the hypothetical situation of Washington using the amnesty clause on Rashard Lewis' contract. Apparently, if they did make that move they would have to spend $33 Million this offseason to get to the "Salary Floor" for this season. That would be a lot of money to upgrade their team, but this isn't a good crop of Free Agents. They would rather have $33 Million to spend in 2012 and entice Free Agents to join up with John Wall.

However, if they dont use the amnesty clause on Rashard Lewis then they will be unable to make a play for any Free Agents in 2012. That is because Lewis will be on the books for the 2012-2013 season at $23 Million and they will not have any cap room to spend with Nick Young & Javale McGee expiring.

Might be wrong, but before this new amnesty clause I remember hearing Washington was planning to buy Lewis out after this season.

knickscity
11-26-2011, 06:47 PM
Might be wrong, but before this new amnesty clause I remember hearing Washington was planning to buy Lewis out after this season.
I wonder how would that work though?

His last year of the deal, 2012-2013 is performance related.

The Macho Man
11-26-2011, 06:58 PM
I wonder how would that work though?

His last year of the deal, 2012-2013 is performance related.

Yeah, I don't know, not even sure where i heard it, just liked it cause it would give them a ton of cap space for Dwight.... wishful thinking.

longtime lurker
11-26-2011, 07:03 PM
I think it's a good idea since there will be a more extensive revenue sharing program. It will force some of these perennial losers to sign veterans or trade for veteran contracts and start putting a product out there that fans will actually want to pay for.

Qwyjibo
11-26-2011, 07:48 PM
I think it's a good idea since there will be a more extensive revenue sharing program. It will force some of these perennial losers to sign veterans or trade for veteran contracts and start putting a product out there that fans will actually want to pay for.
And that will only hurt their chances of becoming great teams in the future. If you know you're going to suck, being forced to spend money on veterans who will push your team from 25 to maybe 30 wins just for the sake of a salary floor is not a good thing for the team. It's the road to mediocrity.

HurricaneKid
11-26-2011, 08:07 PM

I'm interested to see if there is going to be any transition period. The Lakers are >92M the next two years. A LOT of teams >58M

I foresee a lot of big trades with large bags of cash involved.

Rowe
11-26-2011, 08:07 PM
And that will only hurt their chances of becoming great teams in the future. If you know you're going to suck, being forced to spend money on veterans who will push your team from 25 to maybe 30 wins just for the sake of a salary floor is not a good thing for the team. It's the road to mediocrity.
Very true.

Only 16 teams can make the Playoffs.

The idea of parity doesn't work when you have teams who will be perennial losers even while spending money to reach the Salary Floor or even be over the Salary Cap.

The closest thing to "parity" has been the interchangeable 7th and 8th seeds in each conference. That wont change anytime soon.

BlueandGold
11-26-2011, 08:16 PM
Wtf, honestly I've never have even heard of the term salary floor until I read this thread. It's pretty easy to figure out the meaning just by the wording of the term but like others have stated.. it seems like this would be counter-productive and detrimental to certain teams who just want to save up cap until the next season.

The only reasoning I could see from doing this is to force certain teams that remain noncompetitive and unwilling to spend to actually make some moves that might help them win.

Rowe
11-26-2011, 08:22 PM
Wtf, honestly I've never have even heard of the term salary floor until I read this thread. It's pretty easy to figure out the meaning just by the wording of the term but like others have stated.. it seems like this would be counter-productive and detrimental to certain teams who just want to save up cap until the next season.

The only reasoning I could see from doing this is to force certain teams that remain noncompetitive and unwilling to spend to actually make some moves that might help them win.

It will be.

However, it will always allow for "role players" to find work because a team is forced to spend money to reach a minimum. The players complained about losing the MLE for luxury tax paying teams because some felt it would restrict movement. They'll be in high demand whether as highly paid 1 year rentals or getting multi-year contracts they dont really deserve.

Sarcastic
11-26-2011, 08:24 PM
Teams SHOULD be forced to spend.

We want parity, right?

BlueandGold
11-26-2011, 08:29 PM
It will be.

However, it will always allow for "role players" to find work because a team is forced to spend money to reach a minimum. The players complained about losing the MLE for luxury tax paying teams because some felt it would restrict movement. They'll be in high demand whether as highly paid 1 year rentals or getting multi-year contracts they dont really deserve.

So pretty much this is a concession (or compensation) for the players from the owners to counteract the new salary cap system. I don't see how any owner would have proposed a mechanism like this in the new system.

This makes me wonder how the new system will work exactly.. does anyone have a good link to the new CBA? The only thing I could find was this http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2011_NBA_lockout

west_tip
11-26-2011, 08:33 PM

That, or contracting teams was neccessary. Frankly I tire of the same teams putting bullshit on the floor each and every season, stealing money from their fans and devaluing the product that is the NBA.

longtime lurker
11-26-2011, 08:53 PM

Well there comes a time where teams have to start doing something instead of constantly rebuilding. How many years does Minny need to waste lottery picks drafting over lapping talent while pretty much going no where. It's not fair to the fans and the owners wonder why fans stop showing up for games. Teams don't necessarily have to spend just spend they can take on 1 year contracts from teams over the luxury tax and over the cap all while getting a draft pick in return. Or the flip side they might get a talented player from a team in the luxury tax (which is a problem in itself) which promotes the parity that so many fans are asking for. A salary floor is a must have if teams intend to share revenue. Other wise you could get cheapskates like Sterling and Sarver spending as little as possible because they know they'll get some of the revenue that LA and New York generate.

PleezeBelieve
11-26-2011, 10:23 PM
On the surface this looks like a Miami Heat kill pill. Prevents teams from purging talent and building cap space while other teams are forced to spend to keep their stars happy.

Wouldn't be surprised is this rule was implemented by Dan Gilbert.

PleezeBelieve
11-26-2011, 10:27 PM
So pretty much this is a concession (or compensation) for the players from the owners to counteract the new salary cap system. I don't see how any owner would have proposed a mechanism like this in the new system.

This makes me wonder how the new system will work exactly.. does anyone have a good link to the new CBA? The only thing I could find was this http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2011_NBA_lockout
I think the owners like the representation this is a player perk, but in the end it can restrict player movement (as said earlier in this thread) when every team has to account for 85% of the cap every season.

Jasper
11-23-2016, 12:17 PM
There's going to be a lot more "overpaid" players that people will complain about.
and now it has come true - 5 years later :lol

chocolatethunder
11-23-2016, 03:00 PM
Wtf are "ramnifications"