PDA

View Full Version : Ken Berg: Jim Buss Open to Trading Bynum-maybe a 3 team trade

mountainmamba
12-01-2011, 01:51 AM
Here is the link to an article from Ken Berg, a very knowledgeable and accurate writer for CBS. He covered the whole lockout and was very informed on all the happenings so he's no Broussard...

http://www.cbssports.com/nba/story/16299009/postups-free-agency-signing-days-away-but-frenzy-exists

Here's the important part. Read about the Lakers and Bynum and a possible three team with Bogut.

It's no surprise to anyone that the Lakers will be one of the primary suitors in a possible trade for Howard, and a person with knowledge of the team's strategy told CBSSports.com that executive Jim Buss finally has dropped his opposition to trading center Andrew Bynum "for the right deal." That's code for "a deal for Dwight Howard," and it's clear from those familiar with Howard's thinking that he'd like to join the Lakers. Bynum may or may not be on the Magic's list of suitable replacements for Howard in a potential deal that also would have to include young players on rookie contracts and draft picks. The Bucks' Andrew Bogut may be a better fit, a notion that has conjured speculation in the agent community of a three-team deal that would land Bynum in Milwaukee, Bogut in Orlando and Howard in L.A.

This is huge that Jim Buss is willing to do this move. Must thought this wouldn't happen under Jims watch but now he would do it..and the fact that they can help orlando get what they want in Bogut is big too. Thoughts??

Kurosawa0
12-01-2011, 01:59 AM
Orlando can get a better deal than Bynum, but it really depends on what options Howard is willing to accept.

NewYorkNoPicks
12-01-2011, 02:00 AM
Here is the link to an article from Ken Berg, a very knowledgeable and accurate writer for CBS. He covered the whole lockout and was very informed on all the happenings so he's no Broussard...

http://www.cbssports.com/nba/story/16299009/postups-free-agency-signing-days-away-but-frenzy-exists

Here's the important part. Read about the Lakers and Bynum and a possible three team with Bogut.

This is huge that Jim Buss is willing to do this move. Must thought this wouldn't happen under Jims watch but now he would do it..and the fact that they can help orlando get what they want in Bogut is big too. Thoughts??

You Laker fans need to come to the realization that nobody really cares about Andrew Bynum anymore.

His allure has cooled, the intrigue is not really there anymore, and as a result neither is his trade value. He's been in the league since 2005 and is injured almost EVERY...SINGLE...YEAR. At this point Brook Lopez is way more valuable an asset at the center position. Andrew Bynum isn't netting you D12

StacksOnDeck
12-01-2011, 02:01 AM
You Laker fans need to come to the realization that nobody really cares about Andrew Bynum anymore.

His allure has cooled, the intrigue is not really there anymore, and as a result neither is his trade value. He's been in the league since 2005 and is injured almost EVERY...SINGLE...YEAR. At this point Brook Lopez is way more valuable an asset at the center position. Andrew Bynum isn't netting you D12

Thanks GM. I'm sure you also believed we couldn't get Gasol for Kwame. Just shut up.

Kurosawa0
12-01-2011, 02:02 AM
Thanks GM. I'm sure you also believed we couldn't get Gasol for Kwame. Just shut up.

Well, honestly, that shouldn't have been able to happen. :lol

chazzy
12-01-2011, 02:03 AM
Orlando can get a better deal than Bynum, but it really depends on what options Howard is willing to accept.
Orlando gets Bogut in this deal

bluechox2
12-01-2011, 02:05 AM
orlando must have no balls and no pride and a large vag if they let the lakers rape them a 2nd time on taking their centers.

KBryant24
12-01-2011, 02:05 AM
At this point Brook Lopez is way more valuable an asset at the center position.
ha keep telling yourself that

NewYorkNoPicks
12-01-2011, 02:07 AM
ha keep telling yourself that

I'd rather have Brook Lopez for 82 than Andrew Bynum for 52 and DJ Mbenga for 30.

Kurosawa0
12-01-2011, 02:07 AM

I'd like that even less. The Clippers really have a great piece with that Minny pick. Just a matter if anyone wants to go there.

Yao Ming's Foot
12-01-2011, 02:09 AM
Bogut on the Lakers would be badass. Most underrated defender in the league.

mountainmamba
12-01-2011, 02:15 AM
Bogut on the Lakers would be badass. Most underrated defender in the league.

Did u read it?

All Net
12-01-2011, 02:18 AM
No Surprise, of course Bynum would be available in a trade for Dwight.

Yao Ming's Foot
12-01-2011, 02:20 AM
Did u read it?

Yeah, but when do the Lakers actually do trades that have been in the news. The idea of Bogut being available is what is interesting to me.

Kurosawa0
12-01-2011, 02:21 AM
No Surprise, of course Bynum would be available in a trade for Dwight.

Yeah, you just can't pass up the opportunity for a Kobe-Gasol-Howard core. I don't care how much potential they might see in Bynum. Andrew Bynum is still a bit of a maybe. Dwight Howard is.

guy
12-01-2011, 02:30 AM
I don't see why the Magic wouldn't ask for Gasol as well AND make the Lakers take one of Hedo or Arenas. They have the leverage to dictate the terms on what they get back in return.

mountainmamba
12-01-2011, 02:34 AM
I don't see why the Magic wouldn't ask for Gasol as well AND make the Lakers take one of Hedo or Arenas. They have the leverage to dictate the terms on what they get back in return.

Because the lakers will tell them to FO

Kurosawa0
12-01-2011, 02:35 AM

You don't want Howard & Bynum if you're the Lakers. The trade has always seemed to be Howard & Hedo for Bynum & Odom.

Unless the Lakers would consider moving out Gasol for Howard and then ship Bynum out in another trade.

rhythmic
12-01-2011, 02:37 AM
I'd like that even less. The Clippers really have a great piece with that Minny pick. Just a matter if anyone wants to go there.

It's a fair deal for Howard, but put yourself in Clippers shoes for a second. We as fans always get too excited and jump the gun. Would you as a GM sacrifice a possible high-lottery pick in a loaded draft, one of the best young shooting guards in the league and DeAndre Jordan (nice project center) for a superstar who might simply refuse to play for your team?

It's pretty clear that Howard wants to play in Los Angeles, specifically the Lakers. I am not sure what his feelings are towards the Clippers; I mean I personally would think it'll be a better fit for him. Lakers are getting old; sure he might get a ring or two before Gasol/Kobe/Lamar set sails, but then there is uncertainty. He'll be looked at as a glory-hunter, and probably hated by many.
If he goes to the Clippers; he'll be playing along-side Griffin for the next ten years, in Los Angeles at that. It's a not brainer to me, and I am a Laker fan.

Look, I'd be thrilled if we somehow magically land Howard and only loss Bynum. But I am a realist, and god usually doesn't strike too often. He already landed us Gasol when we really needed a big man, I just don't see us getting another gift like this.

And to be honest, I am quite content with my team this season. MANY people are overlooking the Lakers; I personally think they'll be back with a vengeance and regain their throne.

Kurosawa0
12-01-2011, 02:39 AM
[QUOTE=rhythmic

mountainmamba
12-01-2011, 02:41 AM
[QUOTE=rhythmic

Lebron23
12-01-2011, 02:43 AM
Bynum might be a better Center than Lopez, but He too injury prone. If I am the Magic I ask for Gasol, Bynum, Artest and future first round pick in the 2012, 2013 and 2014 NBA Draft for Howard and Hedo.

mountainmamba
12-01-2011, 02:46 AM
Bynum might be a better Center than Lopez, but He too injury prone. If I am the Magic I ask for Gasol, Bynum, and future first round pick in the 2012, 2013 and 2014 NBA Draft for Howard and Hedo.

you can't trade first rounders in consecutive years. And thats too much.

WeGetRing2012
12-01-2011, 02:47 AM
Trading Bynum for Howard does nothing for the Lakers. To me if Bynum stays healthy he brings just as much to the table as Howard. We need a POINT GUARD not a center. I wish they would shift their focus to Deron Williams...

Rekindled
12-01-2011, 02:50 AM
Bynum+Gasol for Dwight+Nelson+Redick+Anderson?

seems more fair

Rekindled
12-01-2011, 02:54 AM
Trading Bynum for Howard does nothing for the Lakers. To me if Bynum stays healthy he brings just as much to the table as Howard. We need a POINT GUARD not a center. I wish they would shift their focus to Deron Williams...

that's a pretty big if, since he has never stayed healthy.

if dwight howard develops Hakeem's post game, he would be the best player in the league

guy
12-01-2011, 02:55 AM
You don't want Howard & Bynum if you're the Lakers. The trade has always seemed to be Howard & Hedo for Bynum & Odom.

Unless the Lakers would consider moving out Gasol for Howard and then ship Bynum out in another trade.

They should ask for both Bynum and Gasol and include Arenas. This is not like the Melo situation. The Lakers can't outright sign him in the offseason. The Magic have leverage when it comes to what they get in the deal. Lakers can't just say "take whatever shitty deal we give you now or we"ll take him for nothing later."

mountainmamba
12-01-2011, 02:58 AM
They should ask for both Bynum and Gasol and include Arenas. This is not like the Melo situation. The Lakers can't outright sign him in the offseason. The Magic have leverage when it comes to what they get in the deal. Lakers can't just say "take whatever shitty deal we give you now or we"ll take him for nothing later."

You're right the Lakers can't outright sign him in the offseason but other teams can and will. So get a decent replacement while you can. Bynum and Odom will suffice.

rhythmic
12-01-2011, 03:06 AM
Bynum might be a better Center than Lopez, but He too injury prone. If I am the Magic I ask for Gasol, Bynum, Artest and future first round pick in the 2012, 2013 and 2014 NBA Draft for Howard and Hedo.

Maybe if it was Gasol & Bynum demanding their ticket out of LA.
Why would Orlando even want Artest & Gasol? If they let Howard go, they will be in a rebuilding mode. Why would they want Gasol's huge contract on their books? Bynum is making 12 million but he is only 24 years of age and they'll obviously use him as their building block. LA's draft picks are pretty meaningless to Orlando, since they'll most likely be late picks.

Despite all that; there is no way in hell the Lakers even consider this trade for a second. That's way too much to give up for a player who publicly stated his intentions to leave. At this point, if Howard does finalize his decision to leave Orlando; Magic won't have the luxury to pressure any team, they'll be receiving the best offer they can get. Knowing this, no team will offer them as much as Dwight is actually worth. It just doesn't work like that.

Would I trade Gasol & Bynum for Howard if all three players were happy with their teams? Probably not still, but at least then it would be a more reasonable trade. Right now it isn't because Orlando could loss him for nothing in the end. They will be under pressure to simply accept the best deal for them.

BGriffin's Dad
12-01-2011, 03:49 AM
They've got to make a move to get more athletic on the perimeter. If they're still going with Fisher/Blake, Kobe and Artest they're going to have a really, really hard time with teams like Miami, OKC, Memphis, Chicago etc.

This. I wonder what the chances are the Lakers pull something less expected and try to grab a guard that isn't CP3, like DWilliams or Westbrook.

HurricaneKid
12-01-2011, 04:20 AM
Orlando has leverage? What leverage is that. Howard has said he will only sign an extension for the Lakers or Dallas. The Mavs literally don't have any assets Orlando would want. Everyone is old and makes a lot of $$$. Which leaves LA. LA has to deal to get him but they are the only shop in town.

I really don't see why Bynum is considered to be such an asset. Me makes 15M+ per season and has been out more than he has played in recent years. But he seems to be the best they can get.

Hammond was GM of the year two years ago (Bucks). He isn't going to trade Bogut for a chronically injured Bynum. And there really aren't a lot of assets on the Lakers (this means guys with palatable deals that other teams want) the Bucks would be willing to part with their best player for.

I was impressed with the deal Denver ended up getting for Melo considering it was a one team deal. But NYK had to worry about possible franchise tag in the new CBA, etc. There really isn't any such hope for Orl.

talkingconch
12-01-2011, 04:26 AM
Making moves to bring in Chris Paul will suffice since we need a point guard who is not named derek fisher right now.

but I'm not saying we shouldn't get Dwight Howard...:D

but getting both? (http://www.cbssports.com/mcc/blogs/entry/22748484/33582541)

:eek:

HurricaneKid
12-01-2011, 04:48 AM
Making moves to bring in Chris Paul will suffice since we need a point guard who is not named derek fisher right now.

but I'm not saying we shouldn't get Dwight Howard...:D

but getting both? (http://www.cbssports.com/mcc/blogs/entry/22748484/33582541)

:eek:

Greedy SOBs...

ballsohard247
12-01-2011, 04:52 AM
Lakers will always be relevant cause of the market and history of the team. Would love to see Howard on the Lakers to help Kobe get number 6.

B-Easy8
12-01-2011, 04:58 AM
Why don't the Lakers go after Bogut instead?

Bogut is a very good defender, rebounder, passer and can score in the post.

kurple
12-01-2011, 05:02 AM
Why would Mil do it? Bogut is way better than Bynum

Rooster
12-01-2011, 05:24 AM

No they don't. The Lakers can just tell them we will wait if you don't want Bynum or Gasol. Howard does not need to sign extension if Orlando want to move him. He can flat out refuse and Magic has no choice but to let him go whenever he wants to go and sign that extension. The Lakers are not desperate for big man. What they need is a defensive guard who is quick enough to stay in front of guys like Paul, Barea or Terry. The Lakers can win with Bynum and Gasol but they will trade either one of them in a heartbeat if they can get Howard. Lakers have a team option on Bynum next year. If they can't get Howard, they can easily pick up the option. I think that is what they planning to do. They will do amnesty on Walton, used the midlevel for a quick defensive guard and they are set to go.

Rooster
12-01-2011, 05:34 AM
Orlando has leverage? What leverage is that. Howard has said he will only sign an extension for the Lakers or Dallas. The Mavs literally don't have any assets Orlando would want. Everyone is old and makes a lot of $$$. Which leaves LA. LA has to deal to get him but they are the only shop in town.

I really don't see why Bynum is considered to be such an asset. Me makes 15M+ per season and has been out more than he has played in recent years. But he seems to be the best they can get.

Hammond was GM of the year two years ago (Bucks). He isn't going to trade Bogut for a chronically injured Bynum. And there really aren't a lot of assets on the Lakers (this means guys with palatable deals that other teams want) the Bucks would be willing to part with their best player for.

I was impressed with the deal Denver ended up getting for Melo considering it was a one team deal. But NYK had to worry about possible franchise tag in the new CBA, etc. There really isn't any such hope for Orl.

Bynum can be productive when healthy. If you make him a first option or second option and play 38 plus minutes, he can blossom. He is the type of player you can run your offense with. The only concern is because of his bum knee, he lost some of that explosiveness but it's hard to tell unless he will play a full season without any hiccup.

97 bulls
12-01-2011, 06:21 AM
I don't see why any team would even consider aquiring bynum at the cost of howard or bogut. Bynum has had surgery on both knees. I don't see how those knees would be able to take the pounding of being the first option on a bad team for 75+ games year in and out.

OmniStrife
12-01-2011, 06:40 AM
hmm... I wonder who'll be the better sidekick, Kobe or Bron?

/trolling

ClutchBucketz
12-01-2011, 07:32 AM
hmm... I wonder who'll be the better sidekick, Kobe or Bron?

/trolling

http://img.anongallery.org/img/7/5/what-you-did-there-i-see-it-pelican.jpg

bagelred
12-01-2011, 08:44 AM
Ken Berger

guy
12-01-2011, 10:41 AM
Orlando has leverage? What leverage is that. Howard has said he will only sign an extension for the Lakers or Dallas.

The leverage is that they have to accept a deal for the Lakers to get him at all. This isn't a Melo/Knicks situation where Melo was able to wait till the offseason to outright sign with the Knicks if the Nuggets didn't like any deal the Knicks offered beforehand. The Nuggets had very little negotiating power in the Melo. Without taking what the Knicks were offering, all they were doing was just delaying the inevitable by like half a season. If the Magic don't take what the Lakers are offering, the Lakers don't get Howard AT ALL.

guy
12-01-2011, 10:43 AM
No they don't. The Lakers can just tell them we will wait if you don't want Bynum or Gasol. Howard does not need to sign extension if Orlando want to move him. He can flat out refuse and Magic has no choice but to let him go whenever he wants to go and sign that extension. The Lakers are not desperate for big man. What they need is a defensive guard who is quick enough to stay in front of guys like Paul, Barea or Terry. The Lakers can win with Bynum and Gasol but they will trade either one of them in a heartbeat if they can get Howard. Lakers have a team option on Bynum next year. If they can't get Howard, they can easily pick up the option. I think that is what they planning to do. They will do amnesty on Walton, used the midlevel for a quick defensive guard and they are set to go.

You're acting like their isn't an enormous difference between Bynum and Howard right now and especially the future. We're talking about a top 3 player in the league who will dominate for the next decade vs. a top 30 player at best that has problems staying on the court and probably will decline into a fringe role player over the next decade if he isn't out of the league altogether due to injuries.

Sarcastic
12-01-2011, 10:53 AM

Is a former Laker all time great a GM for the Magic, the way Jerry West was GM for the Grizzlies?

guy
12-01-2011, 11:35 AM
You're right the Lakers can't outright sign him in the offseason but other teams can and will. So get a decent replacement while you can. Bynum and Odom will suffice.

Thats not a good deal at all. Its true that the Magic risk losing him for nothing, but the Lakers also risk missing out on someone that makes them better right now and will keep them contending for the next decade even as Kobe declines/retires.

What exactly are the Magic missing out on if they turn down a Bynum+Odom for Howard+cheap filler deal? Bynum isn't a franchise player. He's 24 years old and has had injury problems thats greatly impacted his potential every year for the last 4 years. Since when do problems like that go away as a player gets older? If he has these issues as the 3rd-4th best player on a team, how do you expect him to be if he's expected to carry a franchise? Mr. Kardashian is a celebrity on the wrong side of 30 that most likely has no interest at all in playing for a lottery small market team. This team probably doesn't make the playoffs, and if they do its as a 7th or 8th seed that gets dominated in the first round. And thats if the Magic even want to accept there team options next year. After that, both of these guys would probably want to move to better teams that actually have a chance of doing something. So basically in 2 years, this trade is worthless to the Magic. In fact, it might even be worse then doing nothing because they are a lottery team but not nearly bad enough to get a high lottery %.

On the other hand, Gasol+Bynum for Howard+Arenas means along with a less worked meaning healthier Bynum they get a legit top 15 player who still can play at a high level for the next few years due to his length and skillset and can lead a team to a decent record and the playoffs with a chance of winning a round maybe even two. Although they wouldn't be favorites against the top teams, a team of Bynum/Gasol/QRich/Reddick/Nelson can definitely compete at a high level in the East. Not to mention they're able to get rid of both of their horrible contracts, one by amnesty and one by this trade, and get huge financial and cap relief.

Not to mention they can probably can get a better deal then Bynum+Odom from a team like the Clippers with a package around Gordon, the Knicks for Amare, or the Celtics for Rondo+Green. If thats the best deal the Lakers would offer and the Magic takes a hardline stance and denied it, Howard would have to look at those other options.

HylianNightmare
12-01-2011, 11:37 AM

thhis, we might get the deal of a lift time but if he won't extend there we will have to settle for less

HurricaneKid
12-01-2011, 11:51 AM
You're acting like their isn't an enormous difference between Bynum and Howard right now and especially the future. We're talking about a top 3 player in the league who will dominate for the next decade vs. a top 30 player at best that has problems staying on the court and probably will decline into a fringe role player over the next decade if he isn't out of the league altogether due to injuries.

No one (I hope) is arguing that Bynum is a fair trade. Its more about how Orlando can get back as much as possible for losing him.

My argument is that Bynum is a C who has never been > 15ppg, 9.4 rebs, has missed 126 games the last four years (on avg thats 50/82 games), has chronic knee problems and is making ~league max. If I'm a small market GM I don;t think I take that deal for nothing, much less a top 3 player.

guy
12-01-2011, 12:13 PM
No one (I hope) is arguing that Bynum is a fair trade. Its more about how Orlando can get back as much as possible for losing him.

My argument is that Bynum is a C who has never been > 15ppg, 9.4 rebs, has missed 126 games the last four years (on avg thats 50/82 games), has chronic knee problems and is making ~league max. If I'm a small market GM I don;t think I take that deal for nothing, much less a top 3 player.

So you're in agreement with me? A deal for the Magic that centers around Bynum doesn't make sense right? Which is why the Lakers should have to add Gasol and be willing to take Arenas or Hedo.

HurricaneKid
12-01-2011, 12:29 PM
So you're in agreement with me? A deal for the Magic that centers around Bynum doesn't make sense right? Which is why the Lakers should have to add Gasol and be willing to take Arenas or Hedo.

I agree that it is a terrible deal for Orlando. I just don't know that they have a lot of options. Dwight is being a bit of a dick about it. He is demanding to go to the two highest salaried teams in the league that he cannot possibly go to unless he can finagle a trade.

The Lakers will gladly take Hedo. I think its more likely to be LO and Bynum for Dwight and Hedo. Arenas is a problem because you have to match his salary and then you are talking about adding in Artest AND Pau. If you are the Lakers you have just given away your whole team outside of Kobe.

NoGunzJustSkillz
12-01-2011, 12:33 PM
maybe the magic have the leverage, maybe they don't. all dwight has to say is i am going to give you guys 2 options. trade me to the lakers or i am leaving via free agency and you guys get nothing in return.

NoGunzJustSkillz
12-01-2011, 12:38 PM
[QUOTE=rhythmic

NoGunzJustSkillz
12-01-2011, 12:39 PM
Why don't the Lakers go after Bogut instead?

Bogut is a very good defender, rebounder, passer and can score in the post.
didn't bogut get seriously injured last season or was it the season before?

Rooster
12-01-2011, 12:48 PM
The leverage is that they have to accept a deal for the Lakers to get him at all. This isn't a Melo/Knicks situation where Melo was able to wait till the offseason to outright sign with the Knicks if the Nuggets didn't like any deal the Knicks offered beforehand. The Nuggets had very little negotiating power in the Melo. Without taking what the Knicks were offering, all they were doing was just delaying the inevitable by like half a season. If the Magic don't take what the Lakers are offering, the Lakers don't get Howard AT ALL.

No, the Lakers have the team option on Bynum and Odom next year. If Howard wants to get in board this summer, the Lakers can decline those options and sign him. The point is Orlando will risk of losing him without getting nothing in return. Keep in mind that Howard has the player option next summer so he can opt out. This is the part that you can not seem to grasp that the Lakers can sign him outright in the next summer. The bottomline is the Lakers can sit and wait, the Magic can't.

NoGunzJustSkillz
12-01-2011, 12:49 PM
No, the Lakers have the team option on Bynum and Odom next year. If Howard wants to get in board this summer, the Lakers can decline those options and sign him. The point is Orlando will risk of losing him without getting nothing in return. Keep in mind that Howard has the player option next summer so he can opt out. This is the part that you can not seem to grasp that the Lakers can sign him outright in the next summer. The bottomline is the Lakers can sit and wait, the Magic can't.
this entire post is a bunch of nonsense.

Rooster
12-01-2011, 12:55 PM
I agree that it is a terrible deal for Orlando. I just don't know that they have a lot of options. Dwight is being a bit of a dick about it. He is demanding to go to the two highest salaried teams in the league that he cannot possibly go to unless he can finagle a trade.

The Lakers will gladly take Hedo. I think its more likely to be LO and Bynum for Dwight and Hedo. Arenas is a problem because you have to match his salary and then you are talking about adding in Artest AND Pau. If you are the Lakers you have just given away your whole team outside of Kobe.

The Lakers can trade either Gasol and Bynum but not both. They are not in desperate mode. They can wait and they can win without making any trade.
The Magic can definitely get better players than what Lakers can offer but the problem is if Dwight Howard is willing to sign that extension to make it happen because I don't think any team will give their players away just to have Howard play for them for a year. That's the bottomline.

Rooster
12-01-2011, 12:58 PM
this entire post is a bunch of nonsense.

why, it's true. If Howard wants to stay at Orlando, he would have sign that extension. There is a reason why Melo and Lebron left those offers in the table.

NoGunzJustSkillz
12-01-2011, 01:00 PM
why, it's true. If Howard wants to stay at Orlando, he would have sign that extension. There is a reason why Melo and Lebron left those offers in the table.
I don't think the Lakers can sign Dwight Howard next off-season. Like no possible way for that to happen.

guy
12-01-2011, 01:02 PM

Lakers have $68 million committed salary even without the team options in 2012-13 and $61 million committed in 2013-14. Like I said, Lakers can't sign him outright without trading for him. You are not grasping that.

Rooster
12-01-2011, 01:05 PM
I don't think the Lakers can sign Dwight Howard next off-season. Like no possible way for that to happen.

They have the team option for Bynum and Odom next year. They can decline those options and sign Dwight Howard.

Duncan21formvp
12-01-2011, 01:05 PM
Which means absolutely nothing. They can get better from Chicago. Hell I'm sure the Bulls would give up there starting SF/PF/C for Dwight,Hedo and Arenas

NoGunzJustSkillz
12-01-2011, 01:08 PM
They have the team option for Bynum and Odom next year. They can decline those options and sign Dwight Howard.
no, they can't.

Rooster
12-01-2011, 01:08 PM
Lakers have $68 million committed salary even without the team options in 2012-13 and $61 million committed in 2013-14. Like I said, Lakers can't sign him outright without trading for him. You are not grasping that.

so what are you saying. Buss can't possibly open his pockets and pay luxury taxes to get Howard or the CBA does not allow a team over the cap to sign free agents. Please enlighten me.

HurricaneKid
12-01-2011, 01:09 PM
The Lakers can trade either Gasol and Bynum but not both. They are not in desperate mode. They can wait and they can win without making any trade.
The Magic can definitely get better players than what Lakers can offer but the problem is if Dwight Howard is willing to sign that extension to make it happen because I don't think any team will give their players away just to have Howard play for them for a year. That's the bottomline.

We are on the same page. Pau just doesn't make any sense because Orl will be rebuilding and wouldn't want an aging vet. So it really is just Bynum and whatever else will make the deal work. Which isn't nearly enough to force aa trade for the eminently talented Howard.

LA picks are almost worthless. They are going to be pick 25-30 for years and maybe half the guys taken in that area ever make the league.

NoGunzJustSkillz
12-01-2011, 01:10 PM
so what are you saying. Buss can't possibly open his pockets and pay luxury taxes to get Howard or the CBA does not allow a team over the cap to sign free agents. Please enlighten me.
this.

Rooster
12-01-2011, 01:11 PM
no, they can't.

is that what the new CBA contract states or you don't think Buss can open his wallet?

NoGunzJustSkillz
12-01-2011, 01:12 PM
is that what the new CBA contract states or you don't think Buss can open his wallet?
with the tv deal the lakers signed, buss will open up his wallet whenever he is allowed. unfortunately you can not do that under new and OLD CBA rules.

Rooster
12-01-2011, 01:14 PM
this.

well I am not fully aware of that. Can you give me a link because all I read is teams over the cap will be last ones to pick those amnesty players.

b0bab0i
12-01-2011, 01:29 PM
well I am not fully aware of that. Can you give me a link because all I read is teams over the cap will be last ones to pick those amnesty players.
The rule is, if your team is over the cap, you can't bid for amnesty players AT ALL.

Edit: added link http://aol.sportingnews.com/nba/story/2011-11-27/amnesty-wont-benefit-top-teams-as-had-been-expected

Rooster
12-01-2011, 01:37 PM
The rule is, if your team is over the cap, you can't bid for amnesty players AT ALL.

Edit: added link http://aol.sportingnews.com/nba/story/2011-11-27/amnesty-wont-benefit-top-teams-as-had-been-expected

But Dwight Howard will not be an amnesty player when he opts out.

guy
12-01-2011, 01:50 PM

Its a cap. They can't go over the cap to sign free agents unless they have bird rights on their player or use the MLE. There's no max free agent exception. Its always been that way.

mountainmamba
12-01-2011, 01:56 PM
Stop talking about cap space, free agency, amnesty, mle, etc.

Either Lakers get him in a trade or they dont get him. Thats it.

guy
12-01-2011, 02:10 PM
maybe the magic have the leverage, maybe they don't. all dwight has to say is i am going to give you guys 2 options. trade me to the lakers or i am leaving via free agency and you guys get nothing in return.

If he leaves via FA its to somewhere else. Thats my point as well as the fact that Bynum+Odom is not much better then nothing given the whole situation, and settling for that as opposed to demanding more isn't worth not risking Howard leaving for nothing. Not to mention there could be possible deals in other places that Howard would consider i.e. New York for Amare, LAC for Gordon+Jordan+etc, Boston for Rondo+Green, etc.

sagr32
12-01-2011, 03:44 PM
The only reason ORL would trade Howard to LA is if he specifically said that would be the only place he would agree to do an extend and trade Or he will walk somewhere else when he opts out. And then the only thing ORL gets out of it would be that they can essentially ship out Hedo with him ridding themselves of his contract and get to amnesty arenas. As far as what the Lakers send I don't see them sending anything significantly more than Odom and Bynum. The thing is though they both have team options after 2012 so they could give Bynum a test drive for the rest of this season and see how he does as a number 1 option. If he were to get injured again they could not pick up his option and they lose his 12- 15 million off their cap. Odom is a weird situation they could try and flip him to a contender for some young pieces but there aren't many contenders with young pieces and I don't see those teams with young pieces wanting a 31 year old uninspired Odom so the most likely situation is they'd just not pick up his 9 million option as well. So essentially this trade is NOT going to happen. As much as I'd like it to. The only thing ORL would really get is an extra 10 million off the books if they don't pick up the team options

guy
12-01-2011, 04:03 PM
The only reason ORL would trade Howard to LA is if he specifically said that would be the only place he would agree to do an extend and trade Or he will walk somewhere else when he opts out. And then the only thing ORL gets out of it would be that they can essentially ship out Hedo with him ridding themselves of his contract and get to amnesty arenas. As far as what the Lakers send I don't see them sending anything significantly more than Odom and Bynum. The thing is though they both have team options after 2012 so they could give Bynum a test drive for the rest of this season and see how he does as a number 1 option. If he were to get injured again they could not pick up his option and they lose his 12- 15 million off their cap. Odom is a weird situation they could try and flip him to a contender for some young pieces but there aren't many contenders with young pieces and I don't see those teams with young pieces wanting a 31 year old uninspired Odom so the most likely situation is they'd just not pick up his 9 million option as well. So essentially this trade is NOT going to happen. As much as I'd like it to. The only thing ORL would really get is an extra 10 million off the books if they don't pick up the team options

Which is why I think the Lakers would have to trade Gasol and take on a bigger contract in Arenas instead of Hedo.

rhythmic
12-01-2011, 04:06 PM
Which is why I think the Lakers would have to trade Gasol and take on a bigger contract in Arenas instead of Hedo.

Howard, Lamar & Bryant is weaker then Bynum, Gasol, Lamar & Kobe.
No thanks.

guy
12-01-2011, 04:09 PM
[QUOTE=rhythmic

mountainmamba
12-02-2011, 12:47 AM
ESPNSteinLine
A growing number of execs starting to believe that Magic will indeed give strong consideration to doing Dwight deal before season starts

this is getting my hopes up worse than when the lockout was sure to end 25 different times.

WeGetRing2012
12-02-2011, 04:19 PM

The Lakers can clear up cap space by trading some players to other teams. Kinda like what the Heat did what Beasly....

KBryant24
12-02-2011, 04:23 PM
what do you guys think about a trade that brings hibbert to LA
maybe a deal along the lines of
bynum/1st round pick/??? for granger/hibbert

Nash
12-02-2011, 08:05 PM
Don't get why Howard would go to Lakers except for the fact that he'll be in la la land The team is old, its declining and they'd be a lottery team.

He should join Deron Williams with the Nets. Both are young, there is the pg+center combo and they would be competitive for plenty of years.

longtime lurker
12-02-2011, 08:12 PM
Don't get why Howard would go to Lakers except for the fact that he'll be in la la land The team is old, its declining and they'd be a lottery team.

He should join Deron Williams with the Nets. Both are young, there is the pg+center combo and they would be competitive for plenty of years.

Why not join a team that's already an established contender instead of maybe competing with Deron Williams? Dwight knows that the Lakers will always field a competitive team around him.

ihatetimthomas
12-02-2011, 08:56 PM

You act like once Kobe and co are done, the Lakers are crap forever. This is one of the best ran franchises in sports. They will make the necessary adjustments, trades and signings to be a relevant team. The Lakers have a history of a winning mentality and I am sure they will continue to be a winning franchise.

Lakers have always been the most attractive place to play for free agents. There will be no problem acquiring players post Kobe/Gasol.

kuniva_dAMiGhTy
12-02-2011, 09:13 PM

You do realize the Lakers are arguably the most successful franchise in all of sports, right?

MMM
12-02-2011, 09:53 PM
You do realize the Lakers are arguably the most successful franchise in all of sports, right?

yea they are top 5 but I would put a few franchises ahead of them.

BGriffin's Dad
12-02-2011, 10:08 PM
yea they are top 5 but I would put a few franchises ahead of them.

that nash poster is acting like the Lakers are going to be at the bottom of the barrel soon though.

as much as that'd please me, there's no way I see that happening.

chazzy
12-02-2011, 10:18 PM
Haha what?

B
12-02-2011, 10:47 PM
that nash poster is acting like the Lakers are going to be at the bottom of the barrel soon though.

as much as that'd please me, there's no way I see that happening.People have been hoping that would happen for the last 50 years :lol

Jasper
12-02-2011, 11:04 PM
Milwaukee takes a bad knee over a bad elbow :no:

If they move their corner stone player Bogut - I will no longer be a Bucks fan.

I'll take my talents to South Beach :oldlol:

pegasus
12-03-2011, 12:31 AM
Milwaukee takes a bad knee over a bad elbow :no:

If they move their corner stone player Bogut - I will no longer be a Bucks fan.

I'll take my talents to South Beach :oldlol:

I guess you'll be packing lightly then :lol

Jasper
12-03-2011, 12:33 AM
:applause: