PDA

View Full Version : Anyone still scared of the Lakers?

Lebron23
12-02-2011, 01:05 PM
I think they pretty much a beatable team next season. I don't trust Mike Brown's offensive strategy. They might become a solid defensive team, But it's hard to watch Kobe play ISO Ball. They also struggled againts good defensive teams last season.

The Iron Fist
12-02-2011, 01:08 PM
I think they pretty much a beatable team next season. I don't trust Mike Brown's offensive strategy. They might become a solid defensive team, But it's hard to watch Kobe play ISO Ball. They also struggled againts good defensive teams last season.
Kobe playing ISO ball, scored 35 ppg. Plus, every person that was with lechoke, improved their career with Kobe.

Lebron23
12-02-2011, 01:11 PM
Kobe playing ISO ball, scored 35 ppg. Plus, every person that was with lechoke, improved their career with Kobe.

Kobrick is 33 yrs.old. You are delusional if you think he's capable of averaging over 25 ppg next season.

PS:

He choked in the 2nd round of the playoffs. He got shutdown by a 38 yrs.old Jason Kidd. Gasol couldn't bail him out because he also struggled in the post season.

Phil Jackson >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Mike Brown.

SpecialQue
12-02-2011, 01:11 PM
They're still a great team, but as is, I have a hard time seeing them getting to the finals. It's fine though. They're old, they've won rings, they've proven their point.

The Iron Fist
12-02-2011, 01:14 PM
Kobrick is 33 yrs.old. You are delusional if you think he's capable of averaging over 25 ppg next season.

PS:

He choked in the 2nd round of the playoffs. He got shutdown by a 38 yrs.old Jason Kidd. Gasol couldn't bail him out because he also struggled in the post season.

You never thought Kobe would be two time fmvp. Your opinion is worth 75 cents.

mattvNJ
12-02-2011, 01:14 PM
i don't see them as a contender to win it all... but who knows with Kobe and getting all that rest. I don't think anyone is afraid of them anymore tho they're not the power house they used to be at all.. Bynum always hurt, Kobe not what he used to be, a lot of the roster aging, i just don't see it

Grinder
12-02-2011, 01:15 PM
They're still a major force. The length, versatility, and sheer skill-set of the Odom, Gasol, Bynum trio coupled with Kobe's dynamic scoring ability makes them a top contender still.

Lebron23
12-02-2011, 01:16 PM
They're still a great team, but as is, I have a hard time seeing them getting to the finals. It's fine though. They're old, they've won rings, they've proven their point.

I agree. That's why they are pursuing Dwight Howard and CP3. Kobe already played more minutes than any active Superstar players in the NBA.

Timmy D for MVP
Well yeah. They have a ton of pieces that other teams want and could package some nice deals.

But this current iteration doesn't seem to be a threat to the title.

B-Low
They still have some great players, but when the other team glances over at the Lakers bench and sees Mike Brown making his Mike Brown face...

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_fObSStlFSGg/SCzjD0NIxqI/AAAAAAAABaE/8BSLhb5BvCc/s320/brown8.jpg

Their confidence in beating LA has to go up just a little bit

Lebron23
12-02-2011, 01:18 PM
You never thought Kobe would be two time fmvp. Your opinion is worth 75 cents.

Your criticized the Heat when they were defeated by the Mavericks in the NBA Finals. They actually won 2 games againts Dallas while your team was swept in the 2nd round. Lebron would win an NBA Finals MVP in the near future.

thejumpa
12-02-2011, 01:19 PM
Well....they clearly have the talent to win it all, but it's gonna come to do them staying healthy. With all the back to backs and a few back-to-back-to-backs, can a core that is 30+ stay fit and healthy? Gonna be interesting to see....

Kobe is one of the best ISO players in the league. Why is it hard to watch? Sure, he's getting old...but the guy still puts up shitloads of points and can score anyway he wants.

SpecialQue
12-02-2011, 01:20 PM
They're still a major force. The length, versatility, and sheer skill-set of the Odom, Gasol, Bynum trio coupled with Kobe's dynamic scoring ability makes them a top contender still.

Our bigs are what keep the Lakers a major force, which is why this line-up will always be a contender. Still, it's damn hard arguing with age, and last year's lack of heart in the playoffs was an eye-opener.

swi7ch
12-02-2011, 01:20 PM
Kobe is old... all you really need to know. If you don't understand why age matters in sports, you should /off yourself.

macpierce
12-02-2011, 01:22 PM
What a great thread :facepalm
theyre clearly not going to make the playoffs and im sure lebron is predicted to win a championship for the 5th year in a row now.

Lebron23
12-02-2011, 01:25 PM
They still have some great players, but when the other team glances over at the Lakers bench and sees Mike Brown making his Mike Brown face...

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_fObSStlFSGg/SCzjD0NIxqI/AAAAAAAABaE/8BSLhb5BvCc/s320/brown8.jpg

Mike Brown would be a Huge downgrade. I don't think he's capable of stopping Kobe from leading the NBA in FG's attempts per game.

Well....they clearly have the talent to win it all, but it's gonna come to do them staying healthy. With all the back to backs and a few back-to-back-to-backs, can a core that is 30+ stay fit and healthy? Gonna be interesting to see....

Kobe is one of the best ISO players in the league. Why is it hard to watch? Sure, he's getting old...but the guy still puts up shitloads of points and can score anyway he wants.

He needs to involve his teammates in their offense. He's a 16th year NBA veteran, but he still wants to win another scoring title. Gasol also needs to get his mojo back. He had a very disappointing performance in the playoffs.

Clippersfan86
12-02-2011, 01:26 PM
:oldlol: . I'd be more scared of the Lakers than the Heat in a 7 game series TBH. Kobe is healthiest he's been in 5 years and HIGHLY motivated after being embarrassed last season along with the rest of the Lakers. Lakers aren't going to be lazy this year under Mike Brown. He's going to light a fire under them and they are going to have a chip on their shoulder.

If they stay healthy and bench finally steps up... they still have a shot at title the next two seasons. Don't act like 33 year old Kobe is old and done, 31 year olds Gasol, Odom and Artest are done. Or like 25 year old Bynum is done. This team in general is older.. but their core pieces are young enough to turn it around.

Lol at saying Kobe won't put up 25 ppg. You saw how Mike Brown let Lebron run wild? He's going to let Kobe get a lot of isolation basketball in. Not to mention Kobe's knee is 100 percent and he's hungry.

dbugz
12-02-2011, 01:26 PM
It will all depend on how will this guy play this season

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-w5QfaLXEDzw/TieJ-gqMjNI/AAAAAAAAAn8/nwoT2qdb0zY/s400/andrew-bynum.jpg

B-Low
12-02-2011, 01:27 PM
It will all depend on how will this guy play this season

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-w5QfaLXEDzw/TieJ-gqMjNI/AAAAAAAAAn8/nwoT2qdb0zY/s400/andrew-bynum.jpg

My guess is "dirty"

The Iron Fist
12-02-2011, 01:28 PM
Your criticized the Heat when they were defeated by the Mavericks in the NBA Finals. They actually won 2 games againts Dallas while your team was swept in the 2nd round. Lebron would win an NBA Finals MVP in the near future.
My team was in the finals for three straight years and won ten games in that span. Won't win em all. Just most.

JellyBean
12-02-2011, 01:28 PM
As long as they have #24 Kobe Bryant on the team, yeah! People should be scared.

JohnnySic
12-02-2011, 01:35 PM
They are still better than everyone's binky OKC.

If Dallas doesn't keep Chandler, the Lakers could very well make the Finals.

Lebron23
12-02-2011, 01:35 PM
:oldlol: . I'd be more scared of the Lakers than the Heat in a 7 game series TBH. Kobe is healthiest he's been in 5 years and HIGHLY motivated after being embarrassed last season along with the rest of the Lakers. Lakers aren't going to be lazy this year under Mike Brown. He's going to light a fire under them and they are going to have a chip on their shoulder.

If they stay healthy and bench finally steps up... they still have a shot at title the next two seasons. Don't act like 33 year old Kobe is old and done, 31 year olds Gasol, Odom and Artest are done. Or like 25 year old Bynum is done. This team in general is older.. but their core pieces are young enough to turn it around.

Lol at saying Kobe won't put up 25 ppg. You saw how Mike Brown let Lebron run wild? He's going to let Kobe get a lot of isolation basketball in. Not to mention Kobe's knee is 100 percent and he's hungry.

Miami Heat match up pretty well with the Los Angeles Lakers. I hope they face a younger team like the Grizzlies in the playoffs. Let see them defend a team which has a solid front court in a best of 7 series.

And Mike Brown is not even good enough to replaced a legendary coach like Phil Jackson.

Quizno
12-02-2011, 01:37 PM

PS:

are you serious? he put up over 25 last season and by all accounts he's in much better shape than he was. how would that surprise you?

Clippersfan86
12-02-2011, 01:39 PM
Miami Heat match up pretty well with the Los Angeles Lakers. I hope they face a younger team like the Grizzlies in the playoffs. Let see them defend a team which has a solid front court in a best of 7 series.

And Mike Brown is not even good enough to replaced a legendary coach like Phil Jackson.

Not saying Lakers>Heat. Just saying in a 7 game series vs good team Lakers (like Mavs) will fare better than the Heat. They have the clutch, toughness and experience the Heat don't. We'll see what happens big guy.

Lebron23
12-02-2011, 01:44 PM
are you serious? he put up over 25 last season and by all accounts he's in much better shape than he was. how would that surprise you?

All those years of wear and tear is starting to show. He might decline faster because Mike Brown tends to rely heavily on iso ball and isn't particularly creative.

kuniva_dAMiGhTy
12-02-2011, 01:53 PM
LAL is not feared like they once were a couple seasons back..but they're still very capable of running the table. I think a huge chunk of their success lies on Kobe's shoulders. Is Kobe truly the healthiest he's been since 2006? Will he buy into Mike Brown's system or lack there of? Time will tell, but again, they're far from done.

Lebron23
12-02-2011, 01:56 PM

If Kobe play Iso ball = Lakers losses in the first round. According to this article Mike Brown is thinking of more Gasol and Bynum, less Kobe for Lakers.

http://probasketballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/09/16/brown-thinking-more-gasol-and-bynum-less-kobe-for-lakers/

Let see if Kobe would listen to his new coach. Phil Jackson had been able to control his team's egos during their last championship run. That's why your team needs a more talented and experienced coach like Phil Jackson when you are coaching a team like the Lakers.

Yao Ming's Foot
12-02-2011, 02:12 PM
Kobe with a legitimate defense behind him for the first time in a decade.

Yep nothing to be scared about :oldlol:

The Iron Fist
12-02-2011, 02:17 PM
If Kobe play Iso ball = Lakers losses in the first round. According to this article Mike Brown is thinking of more Gasol and Bynum, less Kobe for Lakers.

http://probasketballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/09/16/brown-thinking-more-gasol-and-bynum-less-kobe-for-lakers/

Let see if Kobe would listen to his new coach. Phil Jackson had been able to control his team's egos during their last championship run. That's why your team needs a more talented and experienced coach like Phil Jackson when you are coaching a team like the Lakers.
Kobe is the coach on the floor. Brown just calls the d. Btw, Kobeiso ball 1st round loss starting teammates, Smush Parker, Luke Walton, Kwame Brown, Chris Mihm. Act like you have a clue.

kenny817
12-02-2011, 02:20 PM
They got swept...who would be afraid of them?

I'm more afraid of Oliver Miller than I am of the Lakers

stallionaire
12-02-2011, 02:20 PM
Kobe is old... all you really need to know. If you don't understand why age matters in sports, you should /off yourself.

Age gives players like Kobe a more hardened fearless killer mentality. Age helps many players develop a stronger will. Age isn't all bad, but most of it is.

I don't think age will be too much of an issue for Kobe this year, if anything it makes him a little more intimidating.

On the Lakers : you never know what'll happen with playoff contenders in this league. I've seen a lot of crazy things happen so I'm not ruling them out. However, I can't help but think that the Grizzlies, Thunder, and possibly Mavericks will oust them.

Yao Ming's Foot
12-02-2011, 02:21 PM
Kobe is the coach on the floor. Brown just calls the d. Btw, Kobeiso ball 1st round loss starting teammates, Smush Parker, Luke Walton, Kwame Brown, Chris Mihm. Act like you have a clue.

Most importantly Kobe ball featured a 15th ranked defense and a 24th ranked defense. Does that sound like a Mike Brown coached team?

glidedrxlr22
12-02-2011, 02:21 PM
Simply put.....no. My location says it all.

StacksOnDeck
12-02-2011, 02:32 PM
Lol @ how pathetic this forum is. :laff:

Oh well, time to subscribe to this thread.

12-02-2011, 02:33 PM
At leave save the idiocy until the season actually starts

chazzy
12-02-2011, 02:34 PM
OP is by making this thread

NoGunzJustSkillz
12-02-2011, 02:52 PM
i don't see them as a contender to win it all... but who knows with Kobe and getting all that rest. I don't think anyone is afraid of them anymore tho they're not the power house they used to be at all.. Bynum always hurt, Kobe not what he used to be, a lot of the roster aging, i just don't see it
bynum been pretty healthy the last 3 playoff runs.

StacksOnDeck
12-02-2011, 02:54 PM
bynum been pretty healthy the last 3 playoff runs.

Not really and I'm a Bynum fan. Last playoff run was his only healthy one and we saw how good he was with minimal touches. 2010, he was injured but fought through it and in 2009, he wasn't in shape due to the knee injury but came back anyways cause of what happened in 2008.

NoGunzJustSkillz
12-02-2011, 02:57 PM

didn't the mavs get swept a couple seasons ago against a 8 seed and still managed to stay relevant enough to win a title 2 seasons later?

twintowers
12-02-2011, 03:00 PM
They are without a doubt one of the top 5 if not top 3 contenders in the league for the title, i mean i don't know how are you guys signing them out and saying they are done, last year many shall we call the strange things happened so lakers got swept that didnt happen for a while but it does it happened in 99 and then came 2000,they got beat in 08 then happened 09....don't get me wrong i hate lakers (spurs big fan), but i respect them has an organization and kobe is still there.They are going to come back hungry and with a new coach, and Mike is a great coach, but look at what kind of player(S) he has coached, with the lakers he will prove what he is.Hungry and wounded animal is the most dangerous one....

NoGunzJustSkillz
12-02-2011, 03:01 PM
Not really and I'm a Bynum fan. Last playoff run was his only healthy one and we saw how good he was with minimal touches. 2010, he was injured but fought through it and in 2009, he wasn't in shape due to the knee injury but came back anyways cause of what happened in 2008.
damn i forgot 2010...wasn't he injured through-out the finals, but played amazing ball anyways? my memory is shot out.

NoGunzJustSkillz
12-02-2011, 03:05 PM
They are without a doubt one of the top 5 if not top 3 contenders in the league for the title, i mean i don't know how are you guys signing them out and saying they are done, last year many shall we call the strange things happened so lakers got swept that didnt happen for a while but it does it happened in 99 and then came 2000,they got beat in 08 then happened 09....don't get me wrong i hate lakers (spurs big fan), but i respect them has an organization and kobe is still there.They are going to come back hungry and with a new coach, and Mike is a great coach, but look at what kind of player(S) he has coached, with the lakers he will prove what he is.Hungry and wounded animal is the most dangerous one....
I never imagined Mike Brown ever getting another head coaching job, nonetheless with the Los Angeles Lakers. Maybe I'm being harsh, but the way he seemed to let LeBron walk all over him, who would want to hire him? So yeah, Mike Brown might be the hungriest of them all.

Dragonyeuw
12-02-2011, 03:10 PM
Kobe playing ISO ball, scored 35 ppg.

Which won't happen again. 33 year old Kobe will not play enough minutes, to average that many points, unless the Lakers' plan is to burn him out by the time the playoffs rolls around. 25ppg? Easily. 35ppg? Not a chance in hell.

kenny817
12-02-2011, 03:13 PM
didn't the mavs get swept a couple seasons ago against a 8 seed and still managed to stay relevant enough to win a title 2 seasons later?
Ummm...we don't get swept. Might want to check those numbers again buddy. Only Lakers and Spurs have been swept recently in the west within the past few years

donald love
12-02-2011, 03:14 PM
Id love to say that if the Lakers played Portland last year in the playoffs they would've been exposed, but they've already been exposed.

creepingdeath
12-02-2011, 03:16 PM
Scared of them? Never. Respect them? Sure, as long as those guys are playing:

http://live.drjays.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/07/pau-gasol-kobe-bryant.jpg

Everyone is beatable.. and almost any team in the West can upset each other.

senelcoolidge
12-02-2011, 03:36 PM
The lakers will still be competitive and make the playoffs, but they are basically done. This is their last attempt at a championship for a long while.

chazzy
12-02-2011, 03:45 PM
I don't buy that Pau will play the way he did in this past run again. He's too skilled to pull that off again, and with Bynum's improvement and Kobe supposedly having a healthy knee, the Lakers are still contenders. Not a favorite obviously, but top 4 or 5 overall.

9erEmpire
12-02-2011, 03:46 PM
Kobe Bryant led teams are always in contention no matter what.

Remember the years when he took those lottery teams to the playoffs.

DMAVS41
12-02-2011, 03:47 PM
hell yes. a team with kobe, pau, odom, and bynum is scary for sure. i'd imagine blake (if he's back) will play better as well.

if mike brown gets them to play great defense....

Duncan21formvp
12-02-2011, 03:47 PM
They won't beat OkCity unless they get Dwight.

RRR3
12-02-2011, 03:48 PM
Kobe Bryant led teams are always in contention no matter what.

Remember the years when he took those lottery teams to the playoffs.
Blah blah blah. MJ, T-Mac, LBJ, AI and Wade all did the same thing when they were in similar situations.

The_Yearning
12-02-2011, 03:57 PM
They just need an upgrade at the point (this is a must) and who knows what they are going to do with Bynum.

9erEmpire
12-02-2011, 04:03 PM
Blah blah blah. MJ, T-Mac, LBJ, AI and Wade all did the same thing when they were in similar situations.

exactly.

those guys should be able to do it since they have better teams.

I am talking about lottery teams here.

The Iron Fist
12-02-2011, 04:08 PM

You know what other team got swept?

The 99 Lakers, 4-0, by San Antonio.

That only seemed to fuel their hunger as they went on to win the next three titles.

Heres another team that got swept, the 83 Celtics. The next season, they won the championship.

Oh shit, whats this? The 03 Pistons got swept too? No way, that couldn't be, they won the title in 04!

LA_Showtime
12-02-2011, 04:12 PM
I'm sure a lot of teams are scared, but the Lakers have a few ****** in the armor and it's only going to get worse.

RRR3
12-02-2011, 04:15 PM
exactly.

those guys should be able to do it since they have better teams.

I am talking about lottery teams here.
T-Mac's 02-03 team is worse than anything Kobe ever had by far.

AirTupac
12-02-2011, 04:15 PM
Kobe won't average over 25 ppg? You sure about that dude?

1) He's had time to rest and properly train for the first time in the last few years (Olympics, Finals etc)
2) Knee "Surgery" has helped Kobe gain a little bounce back, says his knee feels a lot better

Hopefully he doesn't pick up an injury or something but he'll definitely average of 25...

9erEmpire
12-02-2011, 04:16 PM

only because Kobe was on the team.

RRR3
12-02-2011, 04:16 PM
only because Kobe was on the team.
You're an idiot. :facepalm Go back and educate yourself about that team.

Inception28
12-02-2011, 04:18 PM
You're an idiot. :facepalm Go back and educate yourself about that team.
Oh the irony. :oldlol:

I find it funny how you of all people call others idiots. Take a look at the mirror homeboy.

G-Funk
12-02-2011, 04:21 PM
I hope not, I want every top team in the NBA to overlook the Lakers & count them out. So they can creep from behind as the under dog and put it on whoever dissmissed them.

The Iron Fist
12-02-2011, 04:48 PM

Smush and Kwame alone cancel that out.

Rashard
12-02-2011, 06:49 PM
I hope not.

macpierce
12-02-2011, 06:51 PM
i hope the lakers can fly under the radar for once lol :oldlol:

ballsohard247
12-02-2011, 06:51 PM

:lol

SourGrapes
12-02-2011, 06:54 PM
clearly the op

(btw lebron23, congrats on the improved english!)

LA_Showtime
12-02-2011, 06:56 PM
clearly the op

(btw lebron23, congrats on the improved english!)

Not sure if serious. Is English not his first language? And to think, I just thought he was stupid.

SourGrapes
12-02-2011, 06:59 PM
Not sure if serious. Is English not his first language? And to think, I just thought he was stupid.

it could be both

Fatal9
12-02-2011, 07:01 PM
Is LA still planning on sticking (even somewhat) with the triangle going forward? I'm assuming they'll still have some assistant coaches from Phil's days?

SourGrapes
12-02-2011, 07:02 PM
Is LA still planning on sticking (even somewhat) with the triangle going forward? I'm assuming they'll still have some assistant coaches from Phil's days?

ditched for the most part

chuck person is the only holdover on the coaching staff

AirTupac
12-02-2011, 07:21 PM

Read around reports saying that bits and pieces will be used of it since Brown doesn't have time to completely overhaul everything right away.

32Dayz
12-02-2011, 07:48 PM
As long as they have #16 Pau Gasol on the team, yeah! People should be scared.

Fixed. :applause:

http://lakers.topbuzz.com/gallery/d/282613-2/Pau+Gasol+right+hand+dunk+at+Staples+Center.JPG

Heavincent
12-02-2011, 07:50 PM
Yeah, because they have Pau Gasol, the second best big man of all time right behind Shaq :bowdown:

At least according to 32dayz he is.

Droid101
12-02-2011, 07:52 PM
Yeah, because they have Pau Gasol, the second best big man of all time right behind Shaq :bowdown:

At least according to 32dayz he is.
32dayz is the new asdf.

A dumb hater alt account that serves no purpose.

HurricaneKid
12-02-2011, 08:24 PM
I'm scared of them because I am sure they are going to be able to parlay some dismal trade assets (a C who has played ~29mpg for 50/82 games on avg over the last 4 yrs, a C with chronic knee problems) into arguably the best player in the NBA (Howard). Otherwise the window is closed.

Lucifer
12-02-2011, 08:43 PM

You say that every year, but the Lakers keep winning OR whatever team Lebron's on keeps losing. :roll:

I.R.Beast
12-02-2011, 08:44 PM
Was anyone ever afraid of the lakers?

amfirst
12-02-2011, 08:49 PM
They still have a strong chance. Their defense was the major weakness last year. Phil just sucks at it. With a improve defense. I can see them surprising a lot of people.

Stuckey
12-02-2011, 08:50 PM
OKC and Dallas should be, should

Hiei
12-02-2011, 11:47 PM
It's hard to say, most of the teams that were labeled as cleared contenders last year are not quite so this year. Lakers, Celtics, Magic all don't look as good as they were just recently. Dallas won a championship, but it's hard to see them repeating. Bulls, OKC and Heat all showed great potential, but also great disapointments.

As a Lakers fan I am somewhat worried about this season, our bench is as bad as ever and now we have a coach that uses completely different playstyle from what the players are used to. The fact that most of our biggest opponents are also not doing so well may outweight the issues though.

Tlova
12-03-2011, 03:25 PM
I'm sure teams respect da lake show but they're not clearcut anymore.

The Good
Kobe is allegedly healthy
Still have the best frontcourt

The Bad
Mike Brown is your coach
Fisher starting @ PG
Bench
Kobe's a year older
Pau Gasol's mentality

ballsohard247
12-03-2011, 03:28 PM
The Lakers have to get younger. They can't handle athletes like Rose, Westbrook and Rondo (yeah Fisher I'm looking at you.)

Deuce Bigalow
12-03-2011, 03:59 PM
Is anyone scared of Lebron James in the 4th quarter?

chips93
12-03-2011, 06:33 PM
yep

if pau wasnt such a p*ssy last year the lakers could have been a lot better.

they are still contenders in my mind. kobe could be healthier next year, he might be worse, we'll have to wait and see. gasol/bynum/odom should be the best frontcourt in the league again. they need to make some small additions, or get better play from bench guys like shannon brown and steve blake, but they can definitely contend for a title imo.

Heavincent
12-03-2011, 06:37 PM

I'm petrified. I remember in the Finals when he went off for 2 points in the fourth quarter :bowdown: :bowdown:

longtime lurker
12-03-2011, 09:28 PM
Yes they should be. For the first time in years the Lakers will have a coach makes them play defense. Lakers playing consistent D with their scoring threats and a lot less Fisher should be something to worry about.

greymatter
12-04-2011, 05:02 AM
They're still a legit finals threat out west; more so if Dallas loses Chandler. Have to remember that as old as LA is, Dallas' key players are pretty much just as old as LA's.

Kidd will be 39, Terry 35, Dirk 34 next year. This year should be OKC's time to grab the torch out west.

greymatter
12-04-2011, 05:07 AM

People who don't have short memory spans would say "of course". Otherwise you're left with a bunch of idiots who quickly forgot who almost single-handedly closed out the Celts and Bulls.

YAWN
12-04-2011, 05:16 AM
Unless Mike Brown is able to turn back the clock on Fishers defense, or the lakers get a new PG, its going to be very tough...

Interested to see how this new offense runs as well.

The Lakers still have a very talented team full of seasoned vets, and two players who have proven they can turn it up to 11 for lengthy bursts.

In the playoffs, thats really all you need. The Mavericks players all caught fire during the right time last year and they got rings..

noob cake
12-04-2011, 05:40 AM
A team with Artest, Fisher and a old Kobe led by Brown won't win anything.

Kobe may feel perfectly fine, but after 60 something games, his body will burn out.

All Net
12-04-2011, 07:26 AM
The west will be up for grabs thi season but this team needs a good PG and a backup center

We can't just put all our hope onto dwight...I think if dwight wants to come here which I think he does then it is up to Orlando. Kobe/pau/dwight would make lakers one of the top favourites for sure.

SpaceJammeR
12-04-2011, 08:25 AM
any team with kobe, bynum and gasol should be scary!

TheJuice31
12-04-2011, 11:58 AM
The Lakers will still contend on sheer talent, but last year clearly indicated that talent alone won't cut it. You don't endure the embarrassing exit from the playoffs they faced last year and just assume everything's going to be OK next year.

With Kobe/Pau/Bynum, they'll get the benefit of the doubt a lot of times on precedence but last year was also the weakest Lakers team in terms of depth during their latest run. They've got some moves to make, namely at PG and backup center. And that the end of the day, that's still an old team and one of their only players under 20 (Shannon Brown) looks to be all but gone.

And I don't care how catatonic Phil Jackson appeared to look for much of last season, that guy can sit still and still generate more of an impression on his players than a weak-willed figure like Mike Brown. Brown can coach up some defense but in terms of motivating and getting the most out of his players, I'm skeptical after his run in Cleveland. His offense was essentially letting LeBron go 1-on-5 and win 60+ games; a fine concept when you've got the best player in the world in his mid-20s in the East, but not exactly one I'd be giddy to see implemented with a 33-year-old Kobe who had to reinvent his game into being more of a jump-shooter last year.

So yeah, still arguably one of the 3 best teams in the West (maybe top-2 if Dallas loses Chandler) until the likes of Portland and Memphis take that next step, but I wouldn't favor them over OKC.