PDA

View Full Version : So the Spurs doesn't have plans to rebuild yet again this season?

dbugz
12-02-2011, 05:02 PM
They might finish on the top 4 spot again in the West in the regular season and surprise everyone again but a younger team like Memphis and OKC will going to expose again their main core's old knees in a playoffs series and they're going to suck big time once again.

I'm not familiar with TD, Parker and Manu's contract but isn't this a perfect time to trade those 3? TD might retire as a Spur but trading Manu and TP will give them a perfect pieces of young blood to rebuild again.

MooseJuiceBowen
12-02-2011, 05:13 PM
the big 3 will not be traded but there is rumors of a trade for a BIG coming.

vinvin01
12-02-2011, 06:08 PM
The thing is they still think they have a chance with the big3. I don't think so but it's not crazy to try, if you see what I mean...

But it's gonna be hard for them to rebuild, because with Pop and quality players they are never gonna be a lottery team. Maybe they'll trade against draft picks to rebuild in a year or 2.

What I'm sure about is that Duncan won't get traded : he spent his entire career with the Spurs, never asked for a trade or anything, so the spurs just can't get rid of him like that, Duncan IS the spurs.

SourGrapes
12-02-2011, 06:31 PM
maybe duncan will get injured, collect his pay check, and the spurs can get a shot at drummond

AMISTILLILL
12-02-2011, 06:32 PM

The honeymoon with DeJaun Blair over already? I really dig the kid. Plus you've got Splitter who stands to improve this season.

SayTownRy
12-02-2011, 06:40 PM
parker and ginobili are still one of the top backcourts in the league. i'd put them up against any pg/sg combo out there.

that, albeit small, part of the line up is set and good enough to contend.

the problem is and has been the frontline and i'm not gonna blame an aging duncan. the guy needs help. and not the matt bonner, dejuan blair kind. the tiago splitter kind. we need a 2 way player up there with duncan so bad. he just flat out needs help on both ends at this point in his career and the front office hasn't provided it. they went the rj route and it cost us dearly.

i think we're built for another run with supplemental guys like gary neal, kawhi leonard (projected #6 rookie on nba.com), jefferson (in a more limited bench role), and maybe even james anderson, blair with spot minutes off the bench...

parker's been quoted as saying the spurs are looking to make a big move for a big man so we'll see. without a move like that we're second round fodder at best pending a resurgent tim duncan / pipe dream.

vinvin01
12-02-2011, 06:43 PM
What can the spurs offer for a big man ? Duncan won't get traded, Ginobili doesn't have much trade value because he's aging... That leaves Parker, who has a good trade value, but not that much too.

Splitter can be good in the NBA, but good enough to bring 20-10 instead of Duncan ? Don't think so

AMISTILLILL
12-02-2011, 06:44 PM
parker and ginobili are still one of the top backcourts in the league. i'd put them up against any pg/sg combo out there.

that, albeit small, part of the line up is set and good enough to contend.

the problem is and has been the frontline and i'm not gonna blame an aging duncan. the guy needs help. and not the matt bonner, dejuan blair kind. the tiago splitter kind. we need a 2 way player up there with duncan so bad. he just flat out needs help on both ends at this point in his career and the front office hasn't provided it. they went the rj route and it cost us dearly.

i think we're built for another run with supplemental guys like gary neal, kawhi leonard (projected #6 rookie on nba.com), jefferson (in a more limited bench role), and maybe even james anderson, blair with spot minutes off the bench...

parker's been quoted as saying the spurs are looking to make a big move for a big man so we'll see. without a move like that we're second round fodder at best pending a resurgent tim duncan / pipe dream.

In my opinion, the Spurs would benefit a great deal from using amnesty on Jefferson.

SayTownRy
12-02-2011, 07:09 PM
In my opinion, the Spurs would benefit a great deal from using amnesty on Jefferson.

completely in agreement with that.

the spurs have been tossed around in the rumor mill lately with guys like caron butler and josh howard. they also gave up george hill for a SF. maybe they think they can cut ties with rj somehow.

Jasper
12-02-2011, 07:30 PM
Timmy has if I recall an opt out contract
He is in his final year 21million

Next summer they will hav close to 25million to spend.

Not saying they will be a big player before the Dec 10th clock turns 0...

But how that franchise is set up they could get 1-2 legit elite players if jefferson is used in the amnesty and Duncan takes less - to no money (as in vet minimim.....

Don't rule the Spurs out

AMISTILLILL
12-02-2011, 07:38 PM
Huge shoes to fill after Duncan. I keep trying to come up with available PF's they could bring in... but it's so hard to imagine them bringing a guy like David West on board.

I wouldn't mind seeing Dalembert in San Antonio. The guy has a reputation of being a bonehead on the court but with the right type of discipline I think he would thrive. What more respectable coach is there than Popovich? Although I doubt that's what the Spurs have in mind as far as potential bigs go..

Odinn
12-02-2011, 07:44 PM
1- The Spurs need to change the team plan. I mean, yes the last season we saw Duncan's knees truly washed up, he was at his 35 in 2011 playoffs and will be 36 in 2012 playoffs but he can put up 17/10/3 easily imo. I'm not saying the Spurs should run offense through Duncan again but in the last season they almost forgot entirely they had a scorer inside. 2010-11 Spurs' inside-outside balance was awful. Duncan should try more his own shots.

2- We should use the amnesty clause to wave Richard Jefferson. He didn't fit and he doesn't deserve his contract.

3- In the West, the Spurs should get size&height. Pop should give much more minutes to Splitter or Parker would be traded for a quailty big.

B
12-02-2011, 08:04 PM
Would it surprise anyone if Duncan retired when the current contract runs it's course?

dbugz
12-02-2011, 08:04 PM
R. Jefferson + Splitter for Al Jefferson

Two of the best back to the basket low post players in one team :bowdown:

or

R. Jefferson + Splitter for Al Hordord

Al Horford seemed like a good fit in Pop's system.

Both hawks and jazz are looking for a SF.

OR

Nuggets will S&T Nene + scrub for R. Jefferson + Splitter

Nuggets badly needed a scorer and Jefferson could provide that.

swi7ch
12-02-2011, 08:10 PM
They will have the worst record one of these years and then draft another big man who will lead them to multiple winning seasons.

ihatetimthomas
12-02-2011, 08:40 PM
Spurs have one last year with this core, but I do not think they have enough to be contenders. I will never count them out because they are ran very well. But the age is too much. This season is going to be very difficult for duncan. Less games yes, but a much more rigourous schedule. For him to be somewhat fresh for the playoffs, that means playing him even less than the last few years and that means they will unlikely get homecourt in the playoffs. I see them being a decent team ut out in the 1st round.

Duncan cant man the paint alone. He cant really anchor a defense like he used to. He needs help. You have guys like Bonner and Blair manning the front court with him but they cant play a lick of defense.

Also, with Manu's age and injury history, I am not sure how much you can count on a healthy season from him as well. I think he is still one of the best shooting guards, but not sure how well his body will hold up this season.

I would look into dealing Parker for a big if something becomes available. He is their most tradeable asset right now.

AMISTILLILL
12-02-2011, 08:46 PM
Spurs should amnesty Jefferson, try and get Dalembert in a sign-and-trade with the Kings and sign Thornton out of free agency. I'm sure his defense is garbage compared to Ginobli but it's something.

dbugz
12-02-2011, 08:50 PM
Spurs should amnesty Jefferson, try and get Dalembert in a sign-and-trade with the Kings and sign Thornton out of free agency. I'm sure his defense is garbage compared to Ginobli but it's something.

So what exatly are they going to do with Splitter? why not use him and Jefferson to get at least a "quality young big man" who's a lot better than the players that you have posted.

AMISTILLILL
12-02-2011, 08:58 PM
So what exatly are they going to do with Splitter? why not use him and Jefferson to get at least a "quality young big man" who's a lot better than the players that you have posted.

Splitter could still play big minutes and is worth keeping. I'm only stating try and snag Dalembert because the consensus seems to be that the Spurs are looking to acquire a big.

I'd be apprehensive to trade away my front court depth if I was San Antonio.

TMT
12-03-2011, 12:09 AM

or

R. Jefferson + Splitter for Al Hordord

Al Horford seemed like a good fit in Pop's system.

Both hawks and jazz are looking for a SF.

OR

Nuggets will S&T Nene + scrub for R. Jefferson + Splitter

Nuggets badly needed a scorer and Jefferson could provide that.

Al Jefferson + Tim Duncan = bad defense
Doubt the Hawks let Horford go, but if we could be in the run for Nene and have to send out Splitter I'd be fine with that. I hope we can keep Anderson though.

Jasper
12-03-2011, 12:21 AM
No one bit on my post - my point was they would /will have some serious change - and is it not out of the question to think that Howard would like to be coached by Pop and run with an organization that has only one thing on their mind (championships) :confusedshrug:

Lest I mention in this discussion Gortat

PHX would never part with him , specially to a rival - but he is the perfect fit.

eliteballer
12-03-2011, 12:23 AM
If I'm the Spurs I'm thinking

"If Dirk can win with that supporting cast, we can too"

TMT
12-03-2011, 12:29 AM
Let's be real here, we're too much of a small market team to pull a CP3 or a Howard if that isn't already evident. We will definitely be making moves this season, but underrated ones to bring in defensive help both in the post and on the perimeter. But like I said, Spurs fans everywhere are drooling at the sound of Nene in the silver and black.

Haymaker
12-03-2011, 01:18 AM
They should finish this season with the same core then break the team up, trade Jefferson and Parker while they still have some value for a couple of rookies/1st round picks. manu should serve as team leader and mentor to the young guys. Duncan should retire, his knees are not there.

El Kabong
12-03-2011, 01:32 AM
They should finish this season with the same core then break the team up, trade Jefferson and Parker while they still have some value for a couple of rookies/1st round picks. manu should serve as team leader and mentor to the young guys. Duncan should retire, his knees are not there.
That'd be ideal in my mind, although i'm not sure what kinda of currency Parker would get you nowadays.

bluechox2
12-03-2011, 01:38 AM
time to trade away the players

Arroyo8
12-03-2011, 01:40 AM
agreed that they should tank for drummond, give him a season or 2 with old duncan like they did with old robinson

Big#50
12-03-2011, 02:28 AM
Let's be real here, we're too much of a small market team to pull a CP3 or a Howard if that isn't already evident. We will definitely be making moves this season, but underrated ones to bring in defensive help both in the post and on the perimeter. But like I said, Spurs fans everywhere are drooling at the sound of Nene in the silver and black.
Nene with Tim would he the shit. Tim can still get 12/10/2 on those shit knees.

rmt
12-03-2011, 02:37 AM
If I'm the Spurs I'm thinking

"If Dirk can win with that supporting cast, we can too"

In sports, match-ups are so important. Remember it was just the year before that the Spurs beat the Mavs in the playoffs. True, Chandler wasn't there but with Dirk's game, the series was a perimeter matchup where Spurs had the advantage with Parker, Manu and Hill. Dice also did a fantastic job on Dirk. This year, I thought that MEM was the absolute worst opponent for SA - strength in the front court where SA is weak and Pop was stupid enough to play Bonner/Blair instead of Splitter until game 4.

So vs perimeter teams like Mavs and Heat, IMO Spurs had a chance - even if it was a small one. Against LA or MEM, they would/did get killed.

macpierce
12-03-2011, 02:56 AM
I remember last year people were saying that tim duncan was saving it for the playoffs..............but dude is done and so is garnett so i really cant say they cant win in the playoffs without those defensive anchors.

Kurosawa0
12-03-2011, 03:01 AM
I don't think it's really about truly contending anymore. I think the plan is just to stay good and then when Duncan leaves, rebuild.

Seriously, this could be Duncan's last season anyway.

rmt
12-03-2011, 03:20 AM
I remember last year people were saying that tim duncan was saving it for the playoffs..............but dude is done and so is garnett so i really cant say they cant win in the playoffs without those defensive anchors.

Shaq on Tim's health:

"I ran into Gregg Popovich in the bathroom in the spring of the 2010

Yung D-Will
12-03-2011, 09:41 AM

Wait so you want us to take on another big... I thought that we were looking to get rid of them we already favors,Jefferson,Kanter,Millsap,Okur

blacknapalm
12-03-2011, 09:50 AM
Shaq on Tim's health:

"I ran into Gregg Popovich in the bathroom in the spring of the 2010–11 season, and I asked how Timmy was doing, and Pop said, “His knee is bone on bone.”

All that mileage takes its toll. Can't expect much of 34-35 year olds with so many minutes.

source? that doesn't exactly sound like a pop thing to say or something you casually exchange while your wanger is spraying a urinal.

either way, they need to start rebuilding, it was apparent last season that duncan didn't deserve his all-star bid. i can't imagine how a shortened, more intense season would do to him. memphis wasn't a fluke and i'd bet OKC would beat SA too, even if manu returns to top 3 SG form. they just don't have enough.

rmt
12-03-2011, 10:10 AM
source? that doesn't exactly sound like a pop thing to say or something you casually exchange while your wanger is spraying a urinal.

either way, they need to start rebuilding, it was apparent last season that duncan didn't deserve his all-star bid. i can't imagine how a shortened, more intense season would do to him. memphis wasn't a fluke and i'd bet OKC would beat SA too, even if manu returns to top 3 SG form. they just don't have enough.

Here are a couple of quotes from the book (Shaq's "Uncut"):

The Spurs won because of Tim Duncan, a guy I could never break. I could talk trash to Patrick Ewing, get in David Robinson

blacknapalm
12-03-2011, 10:16 AM
[QUOTE=rmt]Here are a couple of quotes from the book (Shaq's "Uncut"):

The Spurs won because of Tim Duncan, a guy I could never break. I could talk trash to Patrick Ewing, get in David Robinson

ukplayer4
12-03-2011, 10:51 AM
they need the same thing they have needed since the last title 4 years ago A ****ING CENTRE! it is sooo frustrating, every playoffs, to watch duncan get hammered on the boards by two 7 footers when his other 'bigman' is 6.6 blair or 6.8 bonner. spurs management, as great as they are, seem determined not to win another title since every year the only thing lacking is soo glaringly obvious yet they refuse to fill the need. they really only need a big guy that can catch and rebound, thats it. even nazr mohamed fit in perfectly.
nene could mean another title run imo, but also i cant remember a year when both manu and parker werent injured in the playoffs. i think the time has passed....

nashwade
12-03-2011, 11:02 AM
aren't the spurs shopping parker?

Big#50
12-03-2011, 02:42 PM
they need the same thing they have needed since the last title 4 years ago A ****ING CENTRE! it is sooo frustrating, every playoffs, to watch duncan get hammered on the boards by two 7 footers when his other 'bigman' is 6.6 blair or 6.8 bonner. spurs management, as great as they are, seem determined not to win another title since every year the only thing lacking is soo glaringly obvious yet they refuse to fill the need. they really only need a big guy that can catch and rebound, thats it. even nazr mohamed fit in perfectly.
nene could mean another title run imo, but also i cant remember a year when both manu and parker werent injured in the playoffs. i think the time has passed....
They got cheap after 07. I still think thwy would have won the ring in 08 if it wasn't for Manu getting injured in the playoffs. Duncan was done after 08. **** The Spurs Org, **** Pop, Bufford, drunk owner. They owe it all to Tim Duncan. Tim ****ing Duncan.

MooseJuiceBowen
12-03-2011, 03:46 PM

I just got negged for this comment. ISH is a joke. parker himself said there was a trade for a BIG coming. either way nothin but spurs haters on ISH

Wonder Bread Kid
12-03-2011, 05:07 PM
Spurs are changing their roster while maintaining their core.

Adding Neal last year was a god send. I can see him averaging 15 plus a game as our six man.

Inserting Anderson into the third SG role will add to our depth.

Adding two really good defensive players in Leonard and Joseph through the draft will help. Plus, Leonard is our future starting SF.

Possibly trading Jefferson and Blair for a big like Nene or Jordan will give us the size we need to better compete with other big front lines in the west.

shootingcomets
12-03-2011, 05:24 PM
Spurs are changing their roster while maintaining their core.

Adding Neal last year was a god send. I can see him averaging 15 plus a game as our six man.

Inserting Anderson into the third SG role will add to our depth.

Adding two really good defensive players in Leonard and Joseph through the draft will help. Plus, Leonard is our future starting SF.

Possibly trading Jefferson and Blair for a big like Nene or Jordan will give us the size we need to better compete with other big front lines in the west.

Ok i see many that wants a trade something alone the lines of RJ + scrub for Nene + scrub

How on earth is this happening? Denver got Gallinari why would they need RJ? At this stage of their careers Gallinari is either on par or better than RJ

At best if they can break out a TP for Horford but I really dont see hawks biting on that.
Or they can try get dalembert but where are they going to get the money to do that?

After duncan's gone, would you really want to build a team around TP? He's an above average PG but he's no franchise player

MooseJuiceBowen
12-03-2011, 05:59 PM
nene and timmy were working together in the off season who knows :D

chips93
12-03-2011, 06:20 PM
They got cheap after 07. I still think thwy would have won the ring in 08 if it wasn't for Manu getting injured in the playoffs. Duncan was done after 08. **** The Spurs Org, **** Pop, Bufford, drunk owner. They owe it all to Tim Duncan. Tim ****ing Duncan.

didnt they shell out 10 million a year for jefferson?

doesnt sound cheap to me.

Wonder Bread Kid
12-03-2011, 07:21 PM
Ok i see many that wants a trade something alone the lines of RJ + scrub for Nene + scrub

How on earth is this happening? Denver got Gallinari why would they need RJ? At this stage of their careers Gallinari is either on par or better than RJ

At best if they can break out a TP for Horford but I really dont see hawks biting on that.
Or they can try get dalembert but where are they going to get the money to do that?

After duncan's gone, would you really want to build a team around TP? He's an above average PG but he's no franchise player

Well, Denver can lose him for nothing as well. But that's just thrown out there for a few different reasons.

I think the Spurs could pull off a Jefferson/Blair (or Splitter) for Deandre Jordan trade. Clips need a SF.

Spurs could then use their MLE on a player in free agency.

JustinJDW
12-03-2011, 09:22 PM
Eh, every year its the same story. We got one more run in us. Pretty stupid to blow the team up when you had the best record in the league all last season, minus the very last game.

We'll keep our core, but we need a big. Hopefully Tiago can take the next step, and Pop can run more big-man lineups. Guys like Neal and Anderson will probably step up a little more as well. But if we get Nene, then its on. Like for real....a Timmy-Nene frontline will wreak havoc.

BALLS TO THE WALL FINAL SEASON!!! :rockon:

Haymaker
12-03-2011, 10:10 PM
Eh, every year its the same story. We got one more run in us. Pretty stupid to blow the team up when you had the best record in the league all last season, minus the very last game.

We'll keep our core, but we need a big. Hopefully Tiago can take the next step, and Pop can run more big-man lineups. Guys like Neal and Anderson will probably step up a little more as well. But if we get Nene, then its on. Like for real....a Timmy-Nene frontline will wreak havoc.

BALLS TO THE WALL FINAL SEASON!!! :rockon:

How is Nene going to accomplish this? Honestly, Nene on the Spurs is nothing more than a patch.

rmt
12-04-2011, 12:15 AM
I wish they would package any combination of Dice's contract/RJ/Blair/Bonner and spend the MLE on an athletic, defensive big and a starting SF. Please play Splitter over 35 mins/game and park whichever big (Dice/Blair/Bonner) is left on the bench. Give Kawhi Leonard, James Anderson and Neal lots of run and rest TD and Manu as much as possible.

TMT
12-04-2011, 01:26 AM
Honestly I was hoping McDyess wouldn't be coming back this year. Love ya 'Dice but we need to start getting Tiago and Blair developed. Pop also needs to cut his relationship with Bonner and move on... RJ also needs to go. I'd really love to use the amnesty on him just to free up some cap space and then just let the main guys contracts run out.

vinsane01
12-04-2011, 04:57 AM
How is Nene going to accomplish this? Honestly, Nene on the Spurs is nothing more than a patch.

I dont think nene is the type of center the spurs really need. He is an all around guy and can be a bit inconsistent in my opinion. But if id be lying if i say he wont be a huge step up from bonner or blair. Spurs need a defensive big. Everyone's been saying that for the past 3 or 4 years. Duncan needs help since he isnt the defensive nor offensive behemoth he was back in the day. This is probably his last relevant season, as a fan id want to see the spurs to try to sign or trade for a center that will complement timmy for this season.

I really dont think splitter will improve to be player we want him to be. I hope he will, but right now id rather see the spurs get that someone who is a proven player, and will contribute immediately. Also like TMT said, RJ needs to go, spurs have enough talent at the 3. RJ for a good defensive center would be awesome.

kumquat
12-04-2011, 05:37 AM
I'm lol'ing at all the Jefferson trades in this thread.

Richard Jefferson has negative trade value. The guy is useless.

MooseJuiceBowen
12-04-2011, 03:38 PM
I'm lol'ing at all the Jefferson trades in this thread.

Richard Jefferson has negative trade value. The guy is useless.

I think in the right system he could shine but he just doesnt get enough touches in our system to be effective

TMT
12-04-2011, 04:05 PM
I think in the right system he could shine but he just doesnt get enough touches in our system to be effective

I agree with that. Our system is still centered around that Bruce Bowen small forward set. It doesn't utilize RJ's skillset to its potential. He needs to be in a faster pace, more running offense where he can slash to the basket more and not shoot as many 3's. I hope the coaching staff doesn't make the same mistake with Kawhi Leonard and just let him play his game.

Balla_Status
12-04-2011, 04:11 PM
Why would any of said players want to come to San Antonio?

MooseJuiceBowen
12-04-2011, 04:17 PM

yah i dunno who would want to play for the only franchise in the league with 11 or 12 50+ win seasons in a row.. wait is that right?? whats the streak at now?

Yung D-Will
12-04-2011, 04:27 PM
yah i dunno who would want to play for the only franchise in the league with 11 or 12 50+ win seasons in a row.. wait is that right?? whats the streak at now?
They haven't had less than 50 wins since Duncan came besides the lockout season

Balla_Status
12-04-2011, 04:33 PM

Spurs are going to be in rebuilding mode in a couple years. These players want to be on contending teams. Not shitty teams.

MooseJuiceBowen
12-04-2011, 04:36 PM
Spurs are going to be in rebuilding mode in a couple years. These players want to be on contending teams. Not shitty teams.

you obviously dont know shit about spurs franchise or front office in general.

GabeIsGone
12-05-2011, 05:09 AM
Spurs don't rebuild, they just reload. The spurs also have the highest winning % of any team in one of the four major sports leagues.

Take a lap.

Toizumi
12-05-2011, 07:35 AM
The Spurs were the 2nd best team in the regular season record wise, so there is no need for a total overhaul. Memphis was a bad match up for them. That first round loss was still an upset.
GabeIsGone, you make a good point about the Spurs reloading rather than rebuilding (as they have done for a long time). However, with Tim Duncan declining (still a damn good player last year), reloading will not be as easy as it was in the past and they may need to start building for the future also.

Anyway, to contend, the Spurs need length and a good wing defender.
I don

dbugz
12-05-2011, 07:49 AM
[QUOTE=Toizumi]The Spurs were the 2nd best team in the regular season record wise, so there is no need for a total overhaul. Memphis was a bad match up for them. That first round loss was still an upset.
GabeIsGone, you make a good point about the Spurs reloading rather than rebuilding (as they have done for a long time). However, with Tim Duncan declining (still a damn good player last year), reloading will not be as easy as it was in the past and they may need to start building for the future also.

I don

RazorBaLade
12-05-2011, 08:59 AM
if all healthy, a pickup like prince could be interesting.

Big#50
12-05-2011, 12:31 PM
[QUOTE=Toizumi]The Spurs were the 2nd best team in the regular season record wise, so there is no need for a total overhaul. Memphis was a bad match up for them. That first round loss was still an upset.

I don

Wonder Bread Kid
12-05-2011, 04:38 PM

Many reasons. Stop being a moronic ass.

TMT
12-05-2011, 05:22 PM
Many reasons. Stop being a moronic ass.

Obviously were not the most intriguing city for free agents to come... No need to attack others.

Wonder Bread Kid
12-05-2011, 07:39 PM
Obviously were not the most intriguing city for free agents to come... No need to attack others.

Not being the most intriguing city for free agents doesn't mean there aren't reasons to come here. The poster is a tool, I addressed him as such.

robert_shaww
06-17-2014, 05:36 PM
:lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol

MavsPoke
06-17-2014, 05:39 PM
:lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol

Epic necro! :rockon:

Shade8780
06-17-2014, 05:41 PM
Wow :roll: