PDA

View Full Version : Hakeem vs Shaq vs Duncan - 4 Aspects

Duncan21formvp
12-04-2011, 12:21 PM
How do you rank them --> Hakeem vs Shaq vs Duncan in 4 Aspects from who had the:

1. Best Prime
2. Best Peak
3. Best Career
4. Best Player to Build a Team Around

blablabla
12-04-2011, 12:23 PM
1.Dream
2.Shaq
3.Duncan
4.Duncan

winwin
12-04-2011, 12:26 PM
How do you rank them --> Hakeem vs Shaq vs Duncan in 4 Aspects from who had the:

1. Best Prime Hakeem
2. Best Peak Hakeem
3. Best Career Hakeem
4. Best Player to Build a Team Around Hakeem
:ohwell:

chips93
12-04-2011, 12:28 PM
whats the difference between prime and peak?

Duncan21formvp
12-04-2011, 12:34 PM
whats the difference between prime and peak?
Peak is like best 1-2 seasons. Prime is more like best 5-7 seasons.

Pointguard
12-04-2011, 12:46 PM
1. Best Prime Shaq
2. Best Peak Hakeem
3. Best Career Duncan

History proves Duncan as he doesn't even really need a team built around him.

Conceptually Shaq cause he was super dominant but lost to less talented Duncan's teams.

Peak Hakeem seemed better than Duncan to me - but not careerwise. So Duncan wins out.

Kevin_Gamble
12-04-2011, 12:49 PM
Shaq pretty much for anything. Only problem is he will leave your team and twit nasty stuff about it.

OldSchoolBBall
12-04-2011, 12:59 PM
Best prime: tie, Shaq ('00-'02) and Hakeem ('93-'95); I think Hakeem's '95 was better than Shaq's 2002, but don't think that Hakeem was ever as good as Shaq in '00 or '01)

Best peak: Shaq ('00, '01 to a lesser extent)

Best career: Shaq slightly over Duncan over Hakeem

Best to build a team around: Duncan for sustained excellence, longevity and loyalty to the team.

Tlova
12-04-2011, 01:10 PM
I wonder hakeem would do with wade, penny, bronzy and jellybean?

1. Best Prime - Hakeem
2. Best Peak - Shaq
3. Best Career - Duncan
4. Best Player to Build a Team Around - Hakeem

jlauber
12-04-2011, 01:32 PM
Best Prime... Shaq by a solid margin over Hakeem, and it was considerably longer.

Best Peak... Shaq by a mile. Shaq's peak seasons were arguably top-5 of all-time.

Best Career...Shaq by a small margin over Duncan

Best Player to Build a Team Around...Duncan. Duncan, Russell, and Magic were the greatest "Team Players" in the history of the game.

Pointguard
12-04-2011, 02:37 PM
Best Peak... Shaq by a mile

Hakeem did the unexpected in a great way, beating four higher seeded teams with over 57 wins one year. And for 13 months, he walked thru the greatest set of centers ever in title runs, in dominant fashion with inferior talent around him. Hakeem's playoff and regular season numbers were equal to Shaq's peak, and Akeem played better defense, also, his comp in the playoffs was waaay superior. Shaq was supposed to dominate those guys. Hakeem wasn't. So, in any case, I wouldn't say by a mile.

Best Player to Build a Team Around...Duncan. Duncan, Russell, and Magic were the greatest "Team Players" in the history of the game.
You doubled on Duncan. Yeah, Magic, Russell and Duncan were on some higher level stuff. Most fans are not on the level of appreciating that aspect of the game - which is wild because a lot seem over obsessed with winning it all but can't make the connection, or hype these type of players.

Duncan21formvp
12-04-2011, 02:55 PM
Best Prime... Shaq by a solid margin over Hakeem, and it was considerably longer.

Best Peak... Shaq by a mile. Shaq's peak seasons were arguably top-5 of all-time.

Best Career...Shaq by a small margin over Duncan

What makes Shaq's career better than Duncan's when Duncan didn't have to jump from team to team to win? Not only that but did so with a franchise that never won prior to Duncan arriving.

DevilsAssassin
12-04-2011, 03:25 PM
1. Best Prime - Shaquille O'Neal
2. Best Peak - Shaquille O'Neal
3. Best Career - Tim Duncan
4. Best Player to Build a Team Around - Hakeem Olajuwon

jlauber
12-04-2011, 03:27 PM
Hakeem did the unexpected in a great way, beating four higher seeded teams with over 57 wins one year. And for 13 months, he walked thru the greatest set of centers ever in title runs, in dominant fashion with inferior talent around him. Hakeem's playoff and regular season numbers were equal to Shaq's peak, and Akeem played better defense, also, his comp in the playoffs was waaay superior. Shaq was supposed to dominate those guys. Hakeem wasn't. So, in any case, I wouldn't say by a mile.

You doubled on Duncan. Yeah, Magic, Russell and Duncan were on some higher level stuff. Most fans are not on the level of appreciating that aspect of the game - which is wild because a lot seem over obsessed with winning it all but can't make the connection, or hype these type of players.

Maybe I am in the minority on this, but Hakeem's 13 month run, which is really a short "peak" BTW, came in one season in which the real best player did not play. Secondly, he did outplay Ewing, but his offensive numbers including rebounds, were not spectacular in that series (26 ppg, 9 rpg and on .500 shooting.)

He did POUND Robinson in four of their six games in the '95 playoffs, so I give him credit for that.

And finally, I watched every game of the '95 Finals, and I never came away believing that Hakeem outplayed Shaq. Yes, he shot-jacked 30 times a game in that series, allowing him to outscore him, 32 ppg to 28 ppg, but Shaq overwhelmed him in FG% efficiency, .595 to .483 (and while Hakeem shot better from the line, Shaq MADE more FTs.) And Shaq outrebounded, outassisted, and outblocked Hakeem in that series.

And the reality was, that was a supposed PRIME Hakeem, but that was NOT the Shaq of 2000 who was just overwhelming the league. And even prior to that, in the '99 playoffs, Shaq just ABUSED Hakeem, including a series clinching game in which he scored 37 points on 14-22 shooting.

Maybe "by a mile" was a little unrealistic, but Shaq's Finals in his "three-peat" years have never been duplicated, especially a 38 ppg, 16 rpg, .611 Finals in 2000. And at his PEAK, Shaq was a considerably better score. He led the NBA twice, and approached 30 ppg in both.

And for those that question my take on Shaq's prime...O'Neal was a DOMINATE player from his SECOND season thru his 11th season, or TEN straight seasons. He averaged between 26.2 ppg to 29.7 ppg in those ten seasons, and had SEVEN of over 27.2, FIVE of over 28.3, and THREE of 29.3 to 29.7. He also LED the NBA in FG% in SIX of them, including leading the league in scoring AND FG% in one of them.

Vienceslav
12-04-2011, 03:28 PM
1. Prime = Shaq , 16-1 playoffs run on 30/15
2. Peak = Shaq 3 peat with the Lakers
3. Career = Shaq / Duncan both have the same number of rings and FMVPs.
4. Building a team around assuming you get to pick them at 20 year old +- , than you have to go with Shaq.

Odinn
12-04-2011, 03:43 PM
1. Prime = Shaq , 16-1 playoffs run on 30/15
2. Peak = Shaq 3 peat with the Lakers
3. Career = Shaq / Duncan both have the same number of rings and FMVPs.
4. Building a team around assuming you get to pick them at 20 year old +- , than you have to go with Shaq.

Peak is like best 1-2 seasons. Prime is more like best 5-7 seasons.
:oldlol: :oldlol: :oldlol:

1.Dream
2.Shaq
3.Duncan
4.Duncan
I agree with this.

MooseJuiceBowen
12-04-2011, 04:13 PM
why would anyone want to build a team around shaq when givin the options of hakeem or duncan. both 100x better leaders then shaq. id rather go with duncan starting a team because i know he wont come with bullshit personality problems later on down the road and he wont demand the ball like a ball hog. duncan would be the better defensive anchor for the team. better leader. better team player. COULD YOU IMAGINE DUNCAN NOT PLAYING DEFENSE BECAUSE HE WASNT RECIEVING THE BALL? shaq has done things like that. thats not a good leader or a good team player at all. shaq was brute force lets just leave it at that. one of the most dominant if not THE most that we have ever seen. lets leave it at that though.

hakeem and duncan are a way closer comparison its really not fair to compare them to a dunker only lol who SOMETIMES plays defense when he wants to. imagine shaq with kareems brain

Duncan21formvp
12-04-2011, 05:36 PM
:oldlol: :oldlol: :oldlol:

What's funny about saying peak is 1-2 seasons and prime is like 5-7 seasons?

NugzHeat3
12-04-2011, 05:40 PM

1. Best Prime
2. Best Peak
3. Best Career

1. Shaq
2. Hakeem
3. Duncan
4. Hakeem

RRR3
12-04-2011, 05:43 PM

1. Best Prime-Shaq
2. Best Peak-Shaq
3. Best Career-Shaq
4. Best Player to Build a Team Around-IDK Duncan?

Doctor Rivers
12-04-2011, 05:46 PM
in b4 32dayz

1. Best Prime - Shaq
2. Best Peak - Shaq
3. Best Career - Shaq
4. Best Player to Build Around - Shaq

Pointguard
12-04-2011, 06:09 PM
Maybe I am in the minority on this, but Hakeem's 13 month run, which is really a short "peak" BTW, came in one season in which the real best player did not play. Secondly, he did outplay Ewing, but his offensive numbers including rebounds, were not spectacular in that series (26 ppg, 9 rpg and on .500 shooting.)

He did POUND Robinson in four of their six games in the '95 playoffs, so I give him credit for that.

And finally, I watched every game of the '95 Finals, and I never came away believing that Hakeem outplayed Shaq. Yes, he shot-jacked 30 times a game in that series, allowing him to outscore him, 32 ppg to 28 ppg, but Shaq overwhelmed him in FG% efficiency, .595 to .483 (and while Hakeem shot better from the line, Shaq MADE more FTs.) And Shaq outrebounded, outassisted, and outblocked Hakeem in that series.

And the reality was, that was a supposed PRIME Hakeem, but that was NOT the Shaq of 2000 who was just overwhelming the league. And even prior to that, in the '99 playoffs, Shaq just ABUSED Hakeem, including a series clinching game in which he scored 37 points on 14-22 shooting.

Maybe "by a mile" was a little unrealistic, but Shaq's Finals in his "three-peat" years have never been duplicated, especially a 38 ppg, 16 rpg, .611 Finals in 2000. And at his PEAK, Shaq was a considerably better score. He led the NBA twice, and approached 30 ppg in both.

And for those that question my take on Shaq's prime...O'Neal was a DOMINATE player from his SECOND season thru his 11th season, or TEN straight seasons. He averaged between 26.2 ppg to 29.7 ppg in those ten seasons, and had SEVEN of over 27.2, FIVE of over 28.3, and THREE of 29.3 to 29.7. He also LED the NBA in FG% in SIX of them, including leading the league in scoring AND FG% in one of them.

I do believe that Shaq during those three years was the best player seen since MJ and he even "seemed" more dominant. Hakeem's two year roll was impressive because of whom he did it against. And he did everything in impressive matter. Almost an apples oranges type of thing because of the competition - guys flat out feared Shaq and didn't even mix it up with him.

Vienceslav
12-04-2011, 06:19 PM
What's funny about saying peak is 1-2 seasons and prime is like 5-7 seasons?
The joke

32Dayz
12-04-2011, 06:32 PM
1. Best Prime - Shaquille O'Neal
2. Best Peak - Shaquille O'Neal
3. Best Career - Shaquille O'Neal
4. Best Player to Build a Team Around - Shaquille O'Neal

Shaq easily has the best Peak/Prime.

Career wise its obviously between Shaq and Duncan.
I'll take Shaq on this one because I think he had the better Peak/Prime and even had better longevity then Duncan.
I believe he was a much greater force on the 0ffensive end and would be easier to build a contender around.
He is one of the 3 greatest 0ffensive players ever while Duncan is not.

To build a Team Around I'll take Shaq.
It's proven with him that if you give him one or two players that can consistently knock down shots in the playoffs when he gets swarmed he'll take you to the Finalz year after year. I dont feel the same way about Duncan in most years and Hakeem either outside of his Peak.
People say he will leave your franchise but you ignore the fact that he spent 95% of his useful career on only two teams (ORL, LA)

If not for the arrogance/selfishness of Bryant he never would have left LA.

32Dayz
12-04-2011, 06:37 PM
Some other numbers for you guys to observe.

#2.
Shaq : Post Season - PER
Peak : 31
Top 5 : 30
Top 7 : 29.56
Top 10 : 28.52
Top 13 : 26.55

-------------------------

#4.
Duncan : Post Season - PER
Peak : 28.4
Top 5 : 26.96
Top 7 : 27.49
Top 10 : 26.67
Top 13 : 25.4

Hakeem : Post Season - PER
Peak : 27.7
Top 5 : 24.95
Top 7 : 24.61

Regular Season 1993-1995 : 6 Games
Shaq = 23ppg / 14rpg / 3.5apg / 1.5bpg | 59% shooting
Hakeem = 25ppg / 11rpg / 5apg / 3bpg | 46% shooting

Post Season 1995 : 4 Games
Shaq = 28ppg / 12.5rpg / 6.3apg / 2.5bpg | 60% shooting
Hakeem = 32ppg / 11.5rpg / 5.5apg / 2bpg | 48% shooting

Dizzle-2k7
12-04-2011, 06:40 PM
Duncan easily wins 3 and 4..

Thus, Duncan >>> Hakeem/Shaq

32Dayz
12-04-2011, 06:42 PM
How does Duncan have a better Career when Shaq had the better Peak/Prime + Longevity?

:facepalm

I think many people forget that Duncan entered the league much later then Shaq did.

Duncan has the 2nd best Career after Shaq and then Hakeem comes in third although he may have a case for 2nd best Peak/Prime.

Micku
12-04-2011, 07:16 PM
How does Duncan have a better Career when Shaq had the better Peak/Prime + Longevity?

:facepalm

I think many people forget that Duncan entered the league much later then Shaq did.

Duncan has the 2nd best Career after Shaq and then Hakeem comes in third although he may have a case for 2nd best Peak/Prime.

That's true. Shaq came into the league in 1992 while Duncan came to the league in 1997. Shaq was also younger than Duncan when he came in. Shaq was 20 in 1992 while Duncan was 21 in 1997.

Plus, compare them at their age now? Duncan at the age of 34 (2010-2011) had 13.4 ppg, 8.9 rpg, 1.9 blks, on 50% FG.

Shaq at the age of 34 (2006-07) had 17.3 ppg, 7.4 rpg, 1.4 blks, on 59.1% FG.

I guess you could ask which one would you rather take at that age? But Shaq was out of commission for the majority of that season. And Duncan played more games at that age.

Fatal9
12-04-2011, 07:17 PM
Prime: Shaq
Peak: Hakeem
Career: Shaq
Build team around: Hakeem

Dizzle-2k7
12-04-2011, 07:33 PM

Same amount of rings with out DRAMA, no ANTICS, no BULLSHlT, crying, no ENEMIES, no bltchassness.. no throwing people under the bus, no throwing CITIES under the bus, no throwing ORGANIZATIONS and OWNERS under the bus..

Shaq has burned every bridge he's crossed and you dare say he's had a better NBA career than Tim Duncan? (MVPs, 3 Finals MVPs, and many more 1st team all defense)

:roll: :roll:

rmt
12-04-2011, 07:36 PM
#2.
Shaq : Post Season - PER
Peak : 31
Top 5 : 30
Top 7 : 29.56
Top 10 : 28.52
Top 13 : 26.55

#4.
Duncan : Post Season - PER
Peak : 28.4
Top 5 : 26.96
Top 7 : 27.49
Top 10 : 26.67
Top 13 : 25.4

Hakeem : Post Season - PER
Peak : 27.7
Top 5 : 24.95
Top 7 : 24.61

Seems that PERs don't support Hakeem as peak or prime - even against Duncan (almost +3 for top 7) much less Shaq (almost +5 for top 7). Duncan (25.4) and Shaq (26.55) also did it for a longer time (post-season) with higher PERs for 13 years vs Hakeem's 7 (24.61).

Shaq had an insane peak, and even counting that, the difference in top 13 between Shaq and TD is only about 1.

Prime: Shaq
Peak: Shaq
Career: Duncan
Build Around: Duncan

Dizzle-2k7
12-04-2011, 07:38 PM
Shaq had an insane peak, and even counting that, the difference in top 13 between Shaq and TD is only about 1.

Defense makes Tim Duncan better

32Dayz
12-04-2011, 07:42 PM
0ffense makes Shaq better

Fixed. :applause:

Young and Prime Shaq had around the same impact defensively as Duncan did most years.

Even as late as 05 before the injury he was playing DPOY level defense.

His 0ffense overshadows his defensive ability but he was always one of the best defensive centers and players in the league pretty much every year from 93-05.

Kevin_Gamble
12-04-2011, 07:42 PM

No. Duncan is a great defensive player, but that's only because he was hidden by the Popovich system. Duncan gets abused by physical low-post players. Back at Wake, even when he was a senior, he used to get used by guys like Junior Burroughs and Samaki Walker. If those names are not familiar, because they suck and didn't make much of an impact in the NBA, if any. But what they did do was abuse Duncan, when Duncan had to guard them one on one.

I would take Shaq any day, if I'm basing my decision on defense. I wouldn't need a physical C to cover for him.

rmt
12-04-2011, 07:45 PM

I agree that's why I chose Duncan as having the very slightly better career. He was incredibly consistent for the 13 years considering he didn't have the insane peak that Shaq had.

But I was using PER which quantitatively (since they are all big men) should give an objective look at the numbers to point out that (at least numbers-wise) Hakeem did not have the best peak or prime.

jlauber
12-04-2011, 07:55 PM
I do believe that Shaq during those three years was the best player seen since MJ and he even "seemed" more dominant. Hakeem's two year roll was impressive because of whom he did it against. And he did everything in impressive matter. Almost an apples oranges type of thing because of the competition - guys flat out feared Shaq and didn't even mix it up with him.

I didn't mean to imply that Hakeem wasn't a great player. I will say that a peak Hakeem gave as much effort, if not moreso, than any other "great" player, with perhaps the exception of Russell. And Hakeem did everything well (although his regular season passing numbers were never impressive.)

If Shaq would have put in 80% of the effort that a prime Hakeem did, he would easily have been a 35-16 guy. And we KNOW that because Shaq DID have those numbers in his "three-peat" Finals, even against the likes of Mutombo.

As for Duncan, once again, 50+ win seasons every year (except s stike-shortened season, when he led his team to a title.) And he did so with a declining Robinson as his best teammate early in his career, and then good, but not great players, like Parker and Ginobili, in the last half of his career. Duncan was a player that made his team greater than the sum of their parts. IMHO, there have not been too many greats that make that claim.

rmt
12-04-2011, 07:58 PM
No. Duncan is a great defensive player, but that's only because he was hidden by the Popovich system. Duncan gets abused by physical low-post players. Back at Wake, even when he was a senior, he used to get used by guys like Junior Burroughs and Samaki Walker. If those names are not familiar, because they suck and didn't make much of an impact in the NBA, if any. But what they did do was abuse Duncan, when Duncan had to guard them one on one.

I would take Shaq any day, if I'm basing my decision on defense. I wouldn't need a physical C to cover for him.

That Popovich system sure is working great these days (sarcasm) now that Duncan is old and slow. That 2010-11 105.6 defensive rating (11th out of 30 teams) is truly indicative of Popovich's system and is the same defense that won them 4 championships.

32Dayz
12-04-2011, 07:58 PM
Duncan was a player that made his team greater than the sum of their parts. IMHO, there have not been too many greats that make that claim.

I think Popovich was part of that also.

He is a really great imo GOAT level Coach.

Also the Spurs have had some really stacked teams, 99 and 05 come to mind.

The only Spurs team that wasn't really stacked was the 03 Team.

BlackJoker23
12-04-2011, 08:03 PM
hakeem for all four. aint even close

oolalaa
12-04-2011, 09:23 PM
Best prime (assuming prime is around 6/7 years) - Duncan > Shaq > Hakeem

Best peak (assuming peak is 1 or 2 years) - Shaq > Hakeem > Duncan

Best career (ranking on all time list) - Duncan > Shaq > Hakeem

To me, Shaq vs Duncan is very similar to the Russell vs Wilt debate. Shaq was obviously the more dominant force but Duncan's all time great intangibles made up for the statistical discrepancy.

Hakeem get's demoted for winning his 2 rings with the goat out of the league and losing 4 1st round playoff series in a row (yes, i am aware that he had bad teammates. That's not a good enough excuse).

Big#50
12-05-2011, 01:35 AM

LOL

32Dayz
12-05-2011, 01:40 AM
Defensive Tiers.

Top Tier - Hakeem/DRob

Mid Upper Tier - Shaq/Duncan

Duncan is a great defender but he gets overrated at times, DRob definitely helped him forge that identity in his Younger Years.

Shaq was as good of a Shot Blocker, better M2M Defender and was better at protecting the Rim.

Duncan was better at help defense.

Still both were amazing defensive anchors.

gcvbcat
12-05-2011, 05:05 AM
shaq was only dominant because the refs allowed him to travel
just watch his games
very few times the dude did not travel but nba is a business & they needed a superstar

i would pick TD for all 4 aspects

32Dayz
12-05-2011, 05:10 AM
shaq was only dominant because the refs allowed him to travel
just watch his games
very few times the dude did not travel but nba is a business & they needed a superstar

i would pick TD for all 4 aspects

http://icanhascheezburger.files.wordpress.com/2010/11/hurr-durr-derp-face-teh-hurr-hurr-hurrdurr-derp.jpeg

ThaRegul8r
12-05-2011, 05:26 AM
Duncan was a player that made his team greater than the sum of their parts. IMHO, there have not been too many greats that make that claim

And Phil Jackson wasn't a "GOAT level Coach," right?

Neither was Pat Riley?

:rolleyes:

32Dayz
12-05-2011, 05:30 AM

Neither was Pat Riley?

Did I say they weren't? :facepalm

What a dumb comment.

PJ is probably #1 on my GOAT Coach List.

Odinn
12-05-2011, 05:37 AM
Defensive Tiers.

Top Tier - Hakeem/DRob

Mid Upper Tier - Shaq/Duncan

Duncan is a great defender but he gets overrated at times, DRob definitely helped him forge that identity in his Younger Years.

Shaq was as good of a Shot Blocker, better M2M Defender and was better at protecting the Rim.

Duncan was better at help defense.

Still both were amazing defensive anchors.
:oldlol: :oldlol:

ThaRegul8r
12-05-2011, 05:39 AM
Duncan was a player that made his team greater than the sum of their parts. IMHO, there have not been too many greats that make that claim

Neither was Pat Riley?

Did I say they weren't? :facepalm

What a dumb comment.

PJ is probably #1 on my GOAT Coach List.

You're a Shaq enthusiast, so it seemed odd that a Shaq enthusiast would bring up "GOAT level Coaches" in regards to Duncan, when it's not like Shaq didn't play with any himself. So trying a "Duncan only did what he did because he had a GOAT level Coach" wouldn't exactly be the best approach to take to support an agenda.

rhythmic
12-05-2011, 06:10 AM

1. Best Prime
2. Best Peak
3. Best Career

1) Shaquille O'Neal (96' - 03')
2) Shaquille O'Neal (00')
3) Shaquille O'Neal
4) Hakeem Olajuwon (best two-way big man of All-Time, IMO)

Big#50
12-05-2011, 05:17 PM
Duncan and Shaq tied for all them. I would go with Duncan because of his defense and teamwork. Hakeem should not be in the discussion.

Doctor Rivers
12-05-2011, 05:25 PM
in b4 32dayz

1. Best Prime - Shaq
2. Best Peak - Shaq
3. Best Career - Shaq
4. Best Player to Build Around - Shaq

:pimp:

Duncan21formvp
12-05-2011, 05:25 PM
Duncan and Shaq tied for all them. I would go with Duncan because of his defense and teamwork. Hakeem should not be in the discussion.
How is this?

millwad
12-05-2011, 06:27 PM

A butthurt David Robinson fan.. What a shocker..:facepalm

feyki
07-13-2016, 05:44 PM
93-95 Hakeem

03 Duncan

Duncan

Shaq

Anaximandro1
07-13-2016, 07:57 PM
Duncan was the Larry Bird of big men. He had the best combination of basketball brain, technical skills, leadership, killer instinct, individual dominance and team player ... best big since Kareem

Shaq and Hakeem were better physical specimens, and more impressive at first glance ... but less effective.

https://2.bp.blogspot.com/-PkvzKj_iHyU/V4bPgDP_8JI/AAAAAAAAF90/vzZ_DyHQ9SgurtrmkK8nrTw5gcxsLJqvQCLcB/s1600/1650.jpg

https://2.bp.blogspot.com/-0bKDSdTIt60/V4bPgGx5jqI/AAAAAAAAF94/Z4rOGNWYOWIMAarh0Yy9mU_0I2qcO6H1QCLcB/s1600/1500.jpg

ArbitraryWater
07-13-2016, 08:05 PM
[QUOTE=rhythmic

plowking
07-13-2016, 08:48 PM
lol at all the responses for Hakeem. I don't care how much you like him, he isn't close to Shaq peak or prime wise.

TheOne
07-13-2016, 10:15 PM
All Shaq. Should've been the GOAT if he could stay fit.

soots
07-13-2016, 11:47 PM
I still dont understand why people rate Duncans 03 peak so lowly.

Hakeem peaked in exactly the years MJ retired. Too strong a coincidence.
Shaq 00/01 was legit

But id take Duncan 03 over Shaq 00/01.

Castor Troy
07-14-2016, 03:39 AM

1. Best Prime - Dream
2. Best Peak- Shaq
3. Best Career - Duncan
4. Best Player to Build a Team Around - Duncan

Chose Dream for Prime over Shaq due to his defensive attributes. The rest need no explanation.

Duncan :bowdown: :bowdown:

aj1987
07-14-2016, 04:03 AM
Shaq had the best peak, prime, and career, but somehow you'd rather get Hakeem's career over Shaq's to start?

Shit like this has never made sense to me

lol at all the responses for Hakeem. I don't care how much you like him, he isn't close to Shaq peak or prime wise.

All Shaq. Should've been the GOAT if he could stay fit.
:applause: :applause: :applause:

1. Best Prime - Shaq. Averaged 27/12/3/1/3 on 58% over 13 seasons. 27/13/3/1/2 in the PO's during the same stretch.
2. Best Peak - 30/14/4/1/3 during his peak in '00.
3. Best Career - 1x MVP, 3x FMVP, and 4x NBA champ.
4. Best Player to Build a Team Around - Hakeem and Duncan were better defensively than Shaq, but Shaq was better offensively. All three are equal.

Prime_Shaq
07-14-2016, 05:49 AM
Interesting.

Dragonyeuw
07-14-2016, 07:19 AM
Shaq at the very least has the best peak( 00-02) and prime (96-05). Career-wise, it's Shaq with 4 titles, 1 MVP, and 3 finals MVPs versus Duncan with 5 titles, 2 MVPs, and 3 finals MVPs. I think Shaq had quite a few MVP level seasons but was probably penalized for missing games, so it is what it is. Also Shaq's late career ring-chasing wasn't the best either, so for career I'd give a slight edge to Duncan. Best player to build around, if it's who's likely to take you farthest based on their impact, Shaq in 2000 surrounded by d-leaguers would be a contender, he was that dominant. If it's a player that's going to blend best with teammates, setting an example, leadership and stability over 15-20 years then easily Duncan.

I love Hakeem, but his legacy was majorly boosted by 94 and 95 and especially what he did to David Robinson. So many people forget that outside that series, Robinson and Hakeem were pretty much a wash and Robinson was considered the best center between 91 and 93 or so before Hakeem won his titles. I don't think he did enough outside of those years to get a nod over what Duncan and Shaq did career-wise, though he should get mention for being the only player in the top ten in blocks and steals, the latter being especially noteworthy being a center.