PDA

View Full Version : Ed Davis put on 20 pounds of muscle this summer

Clippersfan86
12-06-2011, 04:13 AM
Raptors promising PF Ed Davis who was 215 pounds last year is now 235 pounds :applause: . Good for him. Looking good.

http://www.torontosun.com/2011/12/03/raptors-ed-davis-bulked-up-over-the-lockout

abuC
12-06-2011, 04:17 AM
He put on 20lbs, no way all of that 20lbs is straight muscle.

Clippersfan86
12-06-2011, 04:20 AM
He put on 20lbs, no way all of that 20lbs is straight muscle.

You think a pro athlete is putting on fat doing a high protein, intensive weight lifting regiment like this? He's have to have an increased body fat percentage if he put on fat and by the looks of it and reading about it.. the chances of that are VERY slim. Even if he put on 18 pounds of muscle, 2 pounds of fat.. incredibly impressive.

bdreason
12-06-2011, 04:25 AM
This kid has a ton of upside.

resin_baller
12-06-2011, 04:29 AM
Roids. Either that or a lot of that is fat.

abuC
12-06-2011, 04:32 AM
You think a pro athlete is putting on fat doing a high protein, intensive weight lifting regiment like this? He's have to have an increased body fat percentage if he put on fat and by the looks of it and reading about it.. the chances of that are VERY slim. Even if he put on 18 pounds of muscle, 2 pounds of fat.. incredibly impressive.

Uh, nobody puts on 18lbs of muscle to only 2lbs of fat in 6 months, that ratio is way off. Also, you only put on around half a pound of muscle per week, so at the absolute best he would have put on maybe 12lbs of muscle. Saying he's a pro athlete means very little since he was clearly a beginner when it came to weight training.

The only people that put on that much lean muscle mass and little fat are on gear.

skan72
12-06-2011, 04:34 AM
Roids. Either that or a lot of that is fat.

What? How does that make sense? You know the Raps aren't making the playoffs, so he had quite a bit of time to put on muscle between then and now.

skan72
12-06-2011, 04:37 AM
Uh, nobody puts on 18lbs of muscle to only 2lbs of fat in 6 months, that ratio is way off. Also, you only put on around half a pound of muscle per week, so at the absolute best he would have put on maybe 12lbs of muscle. Saying he's a pro athlete means very little since he was clearly a beginner when it came to weight training.

The only people that put on that much lean muscle mass and little fat are on gear.

Since the Raps stopped playing until now has been about 28 weeks, and on average it's a half-pound of muscle per week. I don't see why there is a need to refute if 20 lbs is doable or not?

The whole point is that Ed Davis has clearly put in work this offseason and should be applauded for it. :applause: I am excited as a Raps fan.

sunsfan1357
12-06-2011, 04:39 AM

Being a beginner wouldn't necessarily discredit this. If anything that is when people make the largest gains in terms of lifting weight and putting on mass, is it not? Given 6-7 months its not impossible for this to happen.

abuC
12-06-2011, 04:40 AM
Since the Raps stopped playing until now has been about 28 weeks, and on average it's a half-pound of muscle per week. I don't see why there is a need to refute if 20 lbs is doable or not?

No where in that article does it explicitly state that he put on "20lbs of muscle" it simply states he gained 20lbs, the threadstarter came to that conclusion on his own.

Putting on 20lbs of mass is doable, putting on 20lbs of lean muscle mass in that time period for a beginner is not.

abuC
12-06-2011, 04:43 AM
Being a beginner wouldn't necessarily discredit this. If anything that is when people make the largest gains in terms of lifting weight and putting on mass, is it not? Given 6-7 months its not impossible for this to happen.

I don't know any beginners that have put on 20lbs of lean muscle in 6-7 months, with a year and 3500-4000 calorie diets, sure. He went from 215 to 236lbs, not all 20lbs is going to be muscle...unless you're on "dat dere celltech".

sunsfan1357
12-06-2011, 04:51 AM
I don't know any beginners that have put on 20lbs of lean muscle in 6-7 months, with a year and 3500-4000 calorie diets, sure. He went from 215 to 236lbs, not all 20lbs is going to be muscle...unless you're on "dat dere celltech".
:oldlol:

True. It all definitely is not lean muscle or as much as the 18/2 ratio someone mentioned. For someone of his size though just putting on the pounds was a huge step as long as a majority of it is muscle.

Cali Syndicate
12-06-2011, 04:52 AM

Completely true. 20 pounds of dry muscle over the summer? Not likely.

skan72
12-06-2011, 05:05 AM
Fair enough. But, if you go by your 1/2 pound of muscle a week, about 14 pounds of that could be muscle, the other 6 fat. Decent?

abuC
12-06-2011, 05:09 AM
Fair enough. But, if you go by your 1/2 pound of muscle a week, about 14 pounds of that could be muscle, the other 6 fat. Decent?

At the end of the day, he's putting in work in the weight room which is what more players should do, so I commend him regardless of what the ratio is.

Done_And_Done
12-06-2011, 11:07 AM
Work ethic baby!

If I'm Dwayne Casey I'm giving this kid every opportunity in the world to show what he can do this year. There really should be no set cap on his game to game playing time...

Rnbizzle
12-06-2011, 11:11 AM
He needed it.

Kiarip
12-06-2011, 11:14 AM

Don't beginners tend to experience larger gains?

InspiredLebowski
12-06-2011, 11:20 AM
He needed it.Definitely. Dude looked like a twig at UNC.

Paul George allegedly put on about 10lbs. And grew an inch.

Arroyo8
12-06-2011, 11:21 AM
tons of potential

iDunk
12-06-2011, 11:29 AM
He had an underrated rookie season especially starting it late due to his injury, that shows a lot.

PistonsFan#21
12-06-2011, 12:08 PM
20lbs of muscle, water and fat all together. 20lbs of lean muscle mass without fat gains is impossible for anyone without gear (even with steroids its highly unlikely).

bwink23
12-06-2011, 12:12 PM
LOL at no one mentioning the juice....you got to be naive as hell to think some of these guys aren't on that good shit.

Clippersfan86
12-06-2011, 12:13 PM
20lbs of muscle, water and fat all together. 20lbs of lean muscle mass without fat gains is impossible for anyone without gear (even with steroids its highly unlikely).

I didn't think I needed to elaborate :confusedshrug: . I know I said 20 pounds of muscle and that's because he didn't show a jump in body fat. Don't forget these guys have access to everything in terms of helpers, diet and best training in world.

LA_Showtime
12-06-2011, 12:20 PM

Wow you're dumb. You can't put on 20 pounds of muscle in 3-4 months. You'd be lucky to put on that much in a year.

abuC
12-06-2011, 12:25 PM
Don't beginners tend to experience larger gains?

They do, but you're not going to find anyone putting on 20lbs of lean muscle mass in that time period.

If you put on 20lbs of muscle, you probably gained 30-35lbs overall as well.

Clippersfan86
12-06-2011, 12:26 PM
Wow you're dumb. You can't put on 20 pounds of muscle in 3-4 months. You'd be lucky to put on that much in a year.

False. Man you guys really haven't been around personal training and fitness have you? Tons of people can gain 20 pounds of muscle in a summer while maintaining body fat percentage WITHOUT steroids. It's all about genetics, diet, sleep and the regiment you are doing. Ed Davis had access to the best trainers in the world 24/7, private chefs AND he got plenty of sleep I'm sure.

You guys have never protein stacked? Taken Max or hardcore proteins like that?

Clippersfan86
12-06-2011, 12:27 PM
They do, but you're not going to find anyone putting on 20lbs of lean muscle mass in that time period.

If you put on 20lbs of muscle, you probably gained 30-35lbs overall as well.

You're very very misinformed regarding fitness my friend if you think it's literally impossible to gain 20 pounds of muscle in 4 months while maintaining the same body fat percentage (meaning no fat gain). In fact most lose body fat because having more muscle= much higher resting burn rate. Meaning Ed Davis probably went from burning 3,000 calories a day resting to 4,000 just by bulking up. Please stop spreading these lies.

abuC
12-06-2011, 12:28 PM
You're very very misinformed regarding fitness my friend if you think it's literally impossible to gain 20 pounds of muscle in 4 months while maintaining the same body fat percentage (meaning no fat gain). Please stop spreading these lies.

:roll:

You think 20lbs of lean muscle in 4 months is possible, and Im misinformed????? :oldlol: :oldlol: :oldlol: :oldlol:

Basically, you think it's possible to put on 1lbs of muscle per week, hilarious.

LA_Showtime
12-06-2011, 12:30 PM
False. Man you guys really haven't been around personal training and fitness have you? Tons of people can gain 20 pounds of muscle in a summer while maintaining body fat percentage WITHOUT steroids. It's all about genetics, diet, sleep and the regiment you are doing. Ed Davis had access to the best trainers in the world 24/7, private chefs AND he got plenty of sleep I'm sure.

You guys have never protein stacked? Taken Max or hardcore proteins like that?

Yes, I have.

No, you're wrong. I'm not gonna debate this shit with you because it's obvious you don't have a clue what you're talking about. :oldlol: @ gaining 20 pounds of muscle (OVER THE SUMMER) without adding any body fat.

Clippersfan86
12-06-2011, 12:30 PM

You think 20lbs of lean muscle in 4 months is possible, and Im misinformed????? :oldlol: :oldlol: :oldlol: :oldlol:

Yup. It's very possible if you've got the money/time. If I told you somebody famous gained 100 pounds in 6 months and that most of it was muscle would you doubt that too?

LA_Showtime
12-06-2011, 12:31 PM

Basically, you think it's possible to put on 1lbs of muscle per week, hilarious.

20 pounds of muscle over a year would be damn impressive, and even that's out of the question unless you're strictly speaking about someone who just picked up weight lifting, has a good routine, and has a perfect diet. The fact this guy thinks you can add 20 pounds of muscle + without adding any body fat is ****ing ridiculous.

Clippersfan86
12-06-2011, 12:32 PM
http://www.christianbaleworkout.org/the-christian-bale-workout-complete-guide-to-getting-ripped-in-under-6-months.html

Enjoy guys. He gained 100 pounds in 6 or 7 months and only a few percent body fat. Explain this one for me fitness experts :oldlol: .

abuC
12-06-2011, 12:33 PM
Yup. It's very possible if you've got the money/time. If I told you somebody famous gained 100 pounds in a year and that most of it was muscle would you doubt that too?

Unreal, you could be on steroids and HGH at the same time with a 12,000 calorie diet and you're not going to gain 1 pound of muscle per week.

inclinerator
12-06-2011, 12:35 PM
Yup. It's very possible if you've got the money/time. If I told you somebody famous gained 100 pounds in 6 months and that most of it was muscle would you doubt that too?
:oldlol: :oldlol: :roll: holy sht omg havent laughed this hard in months
1st bale was likely on some performance enchancer 2nd he was pretty big before he slimmed down for the machinist, so he didnt actually gained that much muscle

Clippersfan86
12-06-2011, 12:36 PM
Unreal, you could be on steroids and HGH at the same time with a 12,000 calorie diet and you're not going to gain 1 pound of muscle per week.

Christian Bale is known to have the drive/work ethic of a psycho. He did NOT use steroids. Trust me dude.... 1 pound of muscle a week for a mesomorph with good genetics... that has unlimited resources/time is VERY achievable.

Clippersfan86
12-06-2011, 12:37 PM
:oldlol: :oldlol: :roll: holy sht omg havent laughed this hard in months

http://www.christianbaleworkout.org/the-christian-bale-workout-complete-guide-to-getting-ripped-in-under-6-months.html

abuC
12-06-2011, 12:38 PM

Enjoy guys. He gained 100 pounds in 6 or 7 months and only a few percent body fat. Explain this one for me fitness experts :oldlol: .

LMAO!!!

You are clueless, just so you know, Christian Bale lost nearly 100lbs for his role in "The Machinist" which he filmed before Batman Begins. He didn't put on "100lbs" of new muscle, he simply gained the weight he lost and put on maybe an extra 10lbs.

No offense, but you have literally no idea what you're talking about.

LA_Showtime
12-06-2011, 12:39 PM
I think the funny part is he doesn't think Christian Bale was on steroids.

inclinerator
12-06-2011, 12:40 PM
http://www.fugly.com/media/IMAGES/Random/christian-bale-weight-change.jpg
its basically the first pic on the left added some fat and a little muscle

abuC
12-06-2011, 12:41 PM

American Psycho 2000

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_HEweVvAgIF4/Scl0QTHuo2I/AAAAAAAAAKQ/xO5189b5dxU/s400/american-psycho.jpg

The Machinist 2004
http://nicksmoviereviews.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/01/stickman.jpeg

Batman Begins 2005
http://i2.listal.com/image/1196865/500full.jpg

Please stop talking about fitness.

Clippersfan86
12-06-2011, 12:43 PM
American Psycho 2000

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_HEweVvAgIF4/Scl0QTHuo2I/AAAAAAAAAKQ/xO5189b5dxU/s400/american-psycho.jpg

The Machinist 2004
http://nicksmoviereviews.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/01/stickman.jpeg

Batman Begins 2005
http://i2.listal.com/image/1196865/500full.jpg

Please stop talking about fitness.

???? He bulked up from Machinist to Batman Begins. He gained way more in that span than you said possible. Explain yourself tard.

Clippersfan86
12-06-2011, 12:44 PM
LMAO!!!

You are clueless, just so you know, Christian Bale lost nearly 100lbs for his role in "The Machinist" which he filmed before Batman Begins. He didn't put on "100lbs" of new muscle, he simply gained the weight he lost and put on maybe an extra 10lbs.

No offense, but you have literally no idea what you're talking about.

Dude I don't care if he lost it first. He still put on 100 pounds!

inclinerator
12-06-2011, 12:44 PM
???? He bulked up from Machinist to Batman Begins. He gained way more in that span than you said possible. Explain yourself tard.
he already had that muscle, its called muscle memory, doesnt mean he gained new muscles. anyone can do it

Clippersfan86
12-06-2011, 12:45 PM
Here's an article on how to gain 20 pounds of muscle in 3 months from Lance Armstrong's website.

http://www.livestrong.com/article/80930-gain-pounds-muscle-months/

If you want I can have a couple personal trainer buddies sign up and talk to you because you're clearly clueless. You're probably a skinny sh** who's never been able to bulk up and you're jealous about Ed Davis' gains.

Clippersfan86
12-06-2011, 12:47 PM
he already had that muscle, its called muscle memory, doesnt mean he gained new muscles. anyone can do it

Actually that's wrong. Muscle memory is your muscles being reactive to certain situations based on what they are trained to do. It's your body's way of taking short cuts. It's basically when something becomes an instinct. If I go for a dunk and the defender tries to block it.. adjusting your shot without thinking about it = muscle memory. It has to do with motor function, not memory of muscle mass :applause: :facepalm . Nice try though.

inclinerator
12-06-2011, 12:50 PM
Actually that's wrong. Muscle memory is your muscles being reactive to certain situations based on what they are trained to do. It's your body's way of taking short cuts. It's basically when something becomes an instinct. If I go for a dunk and the defender tries to block it.. adjusting your shot without thinking about it = muscle memory. It has to do with motor function, not memory of muscle mass :applause: :facepalm . Nice try though.
not sure if srs

abuC
12-06-2011, 12:51 PM

Clueless....

Muscle memory at work!:
In one study, a group of women weight trained for 20 weeks, detrained for about 30 weeks, and then retrained for 6 weeks. The 20 weeks of training increased fiber size 16%-47%, while the 30 week detrained period resulted in only a small loss of fiber size (1%-14%). A mere 6 weeks of retraining increased muscle fiber size to levels similar to what were found after the intial 20 weeks of training! Thus, gains made from training seem to be retained for extened periods of detraining, and this, of course, plays a part in the quick return to the highly trained and competetive state of many of the athletes.

And please, get your "trainer" buddies to sign up, so I know which gyms to avoid.

:roll: @ That livestrong article....

Burgz
12-06-2011, 12:59 PM
i dont give a $hit if its muscle or fat, as long as he can prove he can be a double-double guy in this league this season

Clippersfan86
12-06-2011, 01:10 PM
Clueless....

And please, get your "trainer" buddies to sign up, so I know which gyms to avoid.

:roll: @ That livestrong article....

http://www.wisegeek.com/what-is-muscle-memory.htm.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Muscle_memory

http://workout.finishwellfitness.com/10-minute-trainer/what-is-muscle-memory-2

http://lifehacker.com/5799234/how-muscle-memory-works-and-how-it-affects-your-success

Maybe people nicknamed what you're talking about but the medically recognized form of muscle memory is exactly what I was talking about. You're clearly ignorant and confused so look it up as motor memory if you're still lost. I'm only posting the first 4 links after typing in "Muscle Memory" on google. I can put more up if you want. The humorous thing is the type of muscle memory you guys are talking about didn't even come up until the 6th or 7th link and it was in quotations as "muscle memory" because it's not THE muscle memory that's recognized by science.

Remind me of what gym YOU go to so I can avoid it.... LMFAO.

get these NETS
12-06-2011, 01:19 PM
he'll be hurt before the season is over

added roughly 10% of his previous bodyweight in that short amount of time as an adult

bound to have leg or knee problems at the least...

he won't play more than 40 game

Clippersfan86
12-06-2011, 01:20 PM
he'll be hurt before the season is over

added roughly 10% of his previous bodyweight in that short amount of time as an adult

bound to have leg or knee problems at the least...

he won't play more than 40 game

:roll: . Dude he has a 6'9 frame. He'll be just fine at 235.

InspiredLebowski
12-06-2011, 01:26 PM
:roll: . Dude he has a 6'9 frame. He'll be just fine at 235.tell that to Jermaine O'Neal. Davis has the same type of slight, slim shouldered frame JO had too. 235 (if he really weighs that) is probably fine, but he better not start packing on the bulk.

get these NETS
12-06-2011, 01:26 PM
:roll: . Dude he has a 6'9 frame. He'll be just fine at 235.

i'll bump this post when he gets hurt

ligaments, tendons, joints can't adjust to additional 10 % bodyweight that quickly.

something has to give....and when it does.....he's gonna miss games.

Clippersfan86
12-06-2011, 01:28 PM
tell that to Jermaine O'Neal. Davis has the same type of slight, slim shouldered frame JO had too. 235 (if he really weighs that) is probably fine, but he better not start packing on the bulk.

Yea... but J Oneil got up to what 275? 235 is actually pretty damn thin for a 6'9 human being let alone professional athlete in excellent shape.

Clippersfan86
12-06-2011, 01:29 PM
i'll bump this post when he gets hurt

ligaments, tendons, joints can't adjust to additional 10 % bodyweight that quickly.

something has to give....and when it does.....he's gonna miss games.

He's also very young and his body is barely reaching it's peak. I'm sure his body will adapt to an increase of 20 pounds, if it already hasn't.

Vienceslav
12-06-2011, 01:35 PM
Except he had 7 months to do it , not 4.

Wonder Bread Kid
12-06-2011, 01:35 PM

You can gain fat from eating protein.

Wonder Bread Kid
12-06-2011, 01:36 PM
He's also very young and his body is barely reaching it's peak. I'm sure his body will adapt to an increase of 20 pounds, if it already hasn't.

Dude, just stop posting about things you have no clue about.

Clippersfan86
12-06-2011, 01:37 PM
You can gain fat from eating protein.

Yes you can. Just remember high protein diet makes it very unlikely for this reason. When you consume high protein foods an estimated 30 percent of total calories consumed is burned in digestion alone. The reason for this is.... that protein is very hard for the body to break down. Therefor... high protein diet= very unlikely to gain fat.

If you just down a bunch of protein shakes and don't work out of course you can gain fat! Because these proteins aren't being used and protein drinks are VERY calorie dense.

InspiredLebowski
12-06-2011, 01:38 PM
Yea... but J Oneil got up to what 275? 235 is actually pretty damn thin for a 6'9 human being let alone professional athlete in excellent shape.JO at his heaviest (when he was a star) was probably in the 255 range. I don't know what he started at, but he was never as small as slim as Davis, probably like 220ish as a rookie. Didn't help that it looked like he pretty much only worked out his upper body either.

Clippersfan86
12-06-2011, 01:40 PM
Except he had 7 months to do it , not 4.

Which if so.... even better for him to gain it over time. I just didn't like people flat out saying it's IMPOSSIBLE to gain 20 pounds of muscle over summer. I've seen it with my own eyes many times. People stacking supplements. I've also seen a guy gain 20 pounds of muscle in one month from steroids.

chazzy
12-06-2011, 01:41 PM
Yeah definitely not 20lbs of lean muscle, not possible. Probably took creatine or was below his usual weight after the season.

Clippersfan86
12-06-2011, 01:42 PM
JO at his heaviest (when he was a star) was probably in the 255 range. I don't know what he started at, but he was never as small as slim as Davis, probably like 220ish as a rookie. Didn't help that it looked like he pretty much only worked out his upper body either.

Oh okay. I thought he got up closer to 270. Regardless though.... Davis was a twig at 6'9, 215 and him gaining 20 pounds shouldn't affect him negatively at all.

get these NETS
12-06-2011, 01:45 PM

didn't know he was that young....would have been senior this year

that is pretty young

Clippersfan86
12-06-2011, 01:45 PM
Yeah definitely not 20lbs of lean muscle, not possible. Probably took creatine or was below his usual weight after the season.

If he took creatine that's fine. Amino acids.... hardly an abuse like steroids. It's never been proven to have any serious side effects or anything. It's not NBA legal though is it?

Clippersfan86
12-06-2011, 01:46 PM
didn't know he was that young....would have been senior this year

that is pretty young

Yea he just turned 22 in June :cheers: .

InspiredLebowski
12-06-2011, 01:46 PM
If he took creatine that's fine. Amino acids.... hardly an abuse like steroids. It's never been proven to have any bad side effects or anything. It's not NBA legal though is it?Creatine's legal in every league far as I know. It's also been potentially tied to oblique injuries.

Clippersfan86
12-06-2011, 01:49 PM
Creatine's legal in every league far as I know. It's also been potentially tied to oblique injuries.

Oh that's random. The oblique injuries thing. Okay so it's legal. Yea I never was trying to say this guy didn't stack supplements or creatine. Maybe he did. Either way playing PF in the NBA at 215 pounds simply won't work in this era.

InspiredLebowski
12-06-2011, 01:53 PM
Oh that's random. The oblique injuries thing. Okay so it's legal. Yea I never was trying to say this guy didn't stack supplements or creatine. Maybe he did. Either way playing PF in the NBA at 215 pounds simply won't work in this era.The oblique thing's a lot more of one doctor reaches a conclusion than a peer reviewed case of causality. But still.

Salazaar
12-06-2011, 01:53 PM
From David Aldrigde's Morning Tip:

I'm not calling anyone a liar, but if I read one more story about a guy who's "added 15 pounds of muscle" during the lockout, I'm gonna hurl. Five pounds, sure. Ten pounds ... maybe. But it's amazing how those "15 pounds" quickly melt away after the first few suicides are run, and the guy weighs 197 like he always did when the regular season starts.

Well, guy has a point. :D

Clippersfan86
12-06-2011, 01:57 PM
From David Aldrigde's Morning Tip:

Well, guy has a point. :D

You realize this is from David Aldridge who looks like he's never played a sport in his life. The guy is very feminine. He's not qualified to talk about this obviously. He's basically implying that Ed Davis probably has a lot of water weight... which is false. If he did.. he would be losing it now during these hardcore workouts he's been doing.

Clippersfan86
12-06-2011, 01:59 PM
The oblique thing's a lot more of one doctor reaches a conclusion than a peer reviewed case of causality. But still.

Interesting.

get these NETS
12-06-2011, 02:03 PM
alridge looks like he's never done a pushup

he makes a good point about all the running that's done in the nba...

if you neglected cardio work all summer and just lifted ....it's gonna wear off with all the running.....

Vienceslav
12-06-2011, 02:05 PM
NBA players workout out in the summer to look good during the winter as opposed to the general public who want to ,,tone up for teh summer 2 weeks before July,,.

Clippersfan86
12-06-2011, 02:06 PM
alridge looks like he's never done a pushup

he makes a good point about all the running that's done in the nba...

if you neglected cardio work all summer and just lifted ....it's gonna wear off with all the running.....

Agree. I assume the person who trained him has the brains to give him a mass he can maintain though. If the trainer neglected all cardio like a dipsh**... then yeah.. that muscle will start melting off quick probably if Davis' genetics are for a lean build, which they seem to be.

chazzy
12-06-2011, 02:07 PM
If he took creatine that's fine. Amino acids.... hardly an abuse like steroids. It's never been proven to have any serious side effects or anything. It's not NBA legal though is it?
Yeah it's fine. I used it this summer and gained like 15lbs, but most of it was just water weight.

Clippersfan86
12-06-2011, 02:10 PM
Yeah it's fine. I used it this summer and gained like 15lbs, but most of it was just water weight.

Oh nice. I've always been the type who can gain muscle easy as well as fat easy so I never had to take anything to bulk up. I just have to focus on my diet and toning up.

Grinder
12-06-2011, 02:11 PM
Every single offseason...

"[Insert random young player] put on 20 lbs. of muscle and grew an inch"
"[Insert injury prone former star player] is back in shape and playing like he was in his prime and has all his athleticism back"
etc.

I don't read into any of this stuff until I see it translate to on court production.

get these NETS
12-06-2011, 02:11 PM
Agree. I assume the person who trained him has the brains to give him a mass he can maintain though. If the trainer neglected all cardio like a dipsh**... then yeah.. that muscle will start melting off quick probably if Davis' genetics are for a lean build, which they seem to be.

because of the 20 lbs....I'm thinking that his trainer didn't give him sport specific training... also don't know whether he was allowed to work with team strength guy during the lockout

When jordan got a trainer..he added size and mass gradually...and maintained it..and MJ is natural ecto..

InspiredLebowski
12-06-2011, 02:12 PM
Every single offseason...

"[Insert random young player] put on 20 lbs. of muscle and grew an inch"
"[Insert injury prone former star player] is back in shape and playing like he was in his prime and has all his athleticism back"
etc.

I don't read into any of this stuff until I see it translate to on court production.George legitimately looked like he grew over the course of the season. I guarantee he's taller than the pre-draft no shoes 6'7 3/4.

Fatal9
12-06-2011, 02:12 PM
newbie gains can be crazy though. i put on about 15 (guessing about 10 lbs was lean muscle) in my first 6 months of lifting while not increasing my BF% at all (due to intermittent fasting during my bulk). the first 15 comes a lot easier than the next 15.

Season ended what, 7-8 months ago? black athlete genes + chef + best trainers in the city + new to lifting...20 lbs isn't that outlandish (lets say 15 in this case...some is obviously water + fat). in your first few months of lifting, lot of newbies can see gains of .5-1lb a week if they do it right.

Clippersfan86
12-06-2011, 02:14 PM
because of the 20 lbs....I'm thinking that his trainer didn't give him sport specific training... also don't know whether he was allowed to work with team strength guy during the lockout

When jordan got a trainer..he added size and mass gradually...and maintained it..and MJ is natural ecto..

Yea I'm endo so for me this scenario isn't that far fetched because I can gain muscle+fat rapidly. Yea I doubt this trainer gave him sport specific. Probably a weight training/resistance training stacked workout regiment with only a little cardio.

Clippersfan86
12-06-2011, 02:16 PM
newbie gains can be crazy though. i put on about 15 (guessing about 10 lbs was lean muscle) in my first 6 months of lifting while not increasing my BF% at all (due to intermittent fasting during my bulk). the first 15 comes a lot easier than the next 15.

Season ended what, 7-8 months ago? black athlete genes + chef + best trainers in the city + new to lifting...20 lbs isn't that outlandish (lets say 15 in this case...some is obviously water + fat). in your first few months of lifting, lot of newbies can see gains of .5-1lb a week if they do it right.

Yea exactly. He had 7-8 months and access to the best support imaginable. That's all I was saying from the get go. Not sure why people set out to try to "expose" my logic/knowledge. I even admitted afterwards that maybe 3 pounds of it was fat for example. So maybe 17 pounds of muscle, 3 pounds of fat. Still incredible.

There are MANY reported cases of people gaining 20-30 pounds in a single summer of 3-4 months. Even you guys reported gains of 15 pounds in this thread.

LA_Showtime
12-06-2011, 02:45 PM
Oh nice. I've always been the type who can gain muscle easy as well as fat easy so I never had to take anything to bulk up. I just have to focus on my diet and toning up.

Which is funny, because if you wanna "tone up" then you're trying to lose body fat, which means you'll have to lose weight.

LA_Showtime
12-06-2011, 02:47 PM
Yes you can. Just remember high protein diet makes it very unlikely for this reason. When you consume high protein foods an estimated 30 percent of total calories consumed is burned in digestion alone. The reason for this is.... that protein is very hard for the body to break down. Therefor... high protein diet= very unlikely to gain fat.

If you just down a bunch of protein shakes and don't work out of course you can gain fat! Because these proteins aren't being used and protein drinks are VERY calorie dense.

LMAO. You're an idiot. It's all about calories in vs. calories out. Nothing more nothing less.

Clippersfan86
12-06-2011, 02:48 PM
LMAO. You're an idiot. It's all about calories in vs. calories out. Nothing more nothing less.

Which is exactly what I said... so explain why I'm an idiot? If you're consuming a bunch of calories that aren't being expended...= weight gain. So basically you're agreeing with me yet calling me an idiot. You're a real bright guy I can see.

Clippersfan86
12-06-2011, 02:49 PM
Which is funny, because if you wanna "tone up" then you're trying to lose body fat, which means you'll have to lose weight.

Um yea? I'm saying I gain muscle+fat easily... so obviously I have to lose fat if I gain too much and need to tone up :oldlol: . I'm a bit confused by what you're trying to say :confusedshrug: .

LA_Showtime
12-06-2011, 02:49 PM

Since we're talking about athletes here some of them basically dirty bulk to gain as much muscle as possible without any worry about gaining fat because they'll burn it off over the course of the season. That still doesn't cover the fact it is genetically impossible to gain 20 pounds of MUSCLE in 4 months.

LA_Showtime
12-06-2011, 02:51 PM
Which is exactly what I said... so explain why I'm an idiot? If you're consuming a bunch of calories that aren't being expended...= weight gain. So basically you're agreeing with me yet calling me an idiot. You're a real bright guy I can see.

You said high protein diet = less likely to gain fat. That alone is cause for calling you an idiot. :oldlol:

Clippersfan86
12-06-2011, 02:51 PM
Since we're talking about athletes here some of them basically dirty bulk to gain as much muscle as possible without any worry about gaining fat because they'll burn it off over the course of the season. That still doesn't cover the fact it is genetically impossible to gain 20 pounds of MUSCLE in 4 months.

No it's not. :oldlol: . Dude just give up already. There are too many examples and too much evidence saying otherwise. You CAN gain 20 pounds of muscle mass in 4 months. To say "genetically impossible" is hilarious. Why don't you call a physiologist and ask them.

LA_Showtime
12-06-2011, 02:52 PM

... Creatine is legal, everywhere. Although you don't have to cycle off creatine, some players clearly do. (See James, LeBron)

LA_Showtime
12-06-2011, 02:53 PM
No it's not. :oldlol: . Dude just give up already. There are too many examples and too much evidence saying otherwise. You CAN gain 20 pounds of muscle mass in 4 months. To say "genetically impossible" is hilarious. Why don't you call a physiologist and ask them.

I'm not gonna try and convince some moron on the Internet why it's IMPOSSIBLE to put on that much muscle without steroids. You clearly don't know jack and trying to educate you won't do shit. Why don't you try and gain 20 pounds of muscle in 4 months and see how it goes for you.

Clippersfan86
12-06-2011, 02:55 PM
You said high protein diet = less likely to gain fat. That alone is cause for calling you an idiot. :oldlol:

http://www.livestrong.com/article/299424-calories-burned-digesting-protein/

You have a lot to learn you arrogant little sh**. You REALLY need to touch up on your knowledge if you're going to be calling people out little guy. You've never heard of thermic expenditures etc? As I said before.... when you consume HIGH protein foods.. you force the digestive system to work much harder so 30 percent of the calories consumed are burned during digestion alone.

This means high protein diet= less weight/fat gained. Which is why people trying to gain a ton of mass have to eat literally 6,000 calories a day some times. Because they are burning 2,000 of that during digestion alone. Which means in actuality they are only consuming 4,000 calories a day.

I know a lot of this because my GF is about to graduate in a couple months with her masters as an RD. She's going to be a registered Dietitian.

chazzy
12-06-2011, 02:57 PM

You have a lot to learn you arrogant little sh**. You REALLY need to touch up on your knowledge if you're going to be calling people out little guy. You've never heard of thermic expenditures etc? As I said before.... when you consume HIGH protein foods.. you force the digestive system to work much harder so 30 percent of the calories consumed are burned during digestion alone.

This means high protein diet= less weight/fat gained. Which is why people trying to gain a ton of mass have to eat literally 6,000 calories a day some times. Because they are burning 2,000 of that during digestion alone. Which means in actuality they are only consuming 4,000 calories a day.
30% of the calories in the protein are burned, not 30% of your total caloric intake. Burning 2000 calories from just digestion??

LA_Showtime
12-06-2011, 02:57 PM

Are you honestly linking me something from the Internet? I could post 50,000 different articles supporting my point. Like I said, why don't you try gaining 20 pounds of muscle and see how it goes.

You don't have to "literally eat 6,000 calories a day" to gain mass. Find your maintenance calories and eat in a 300-500 caloric surplus and you'll put on muscle with very little fat assuming you're training properly and getting enough protein.

Clippersfan86
12-06-2011, 02:58 PM
30% of the calories in the protein are burned, not 30% of your total caloric intake. Burning 2000 calories from just digestion??

If you're eating 70 percent protein diet... do the math. Loose estimates but yes you can burn an insane amount of calories in digestion alone if you're stacking protein. 2,000 was a rough estimate but obviously that would imply he's eating 100 percent protein so my bad. 1,000 calories burned a day from digestion with 6,000+ calories though isn't far fetched. Which means= less fat.

LA_Showtime
12-06-2011, 02:59 PM
If you're eating 70 percent protein diet... do the math. Loose estimates but yes you can burn an insane amount of calories in digestion alone if you're stacking protein. 2,000 was a rough estimate but obviously that would imply he's eating 100 percent protein so my bad. 1,000 calories burned a day from digestion with 6,000+ calories though isn't far fetched. Which means= less fat.

:roll: . Okay, please go on a 6,000 calorie diet with 70% protein and tell me what happens.

Clippersfan86
12-06-2011, 03:00 PM
Are you honestly linking me something from the Internet? I could post 50,000 different articles supporting my point. Like I said, why don't you try gaining 20 pounds of muscle and see how it goes.

You don't have to "literally eat 6,000 calories a day" to gain mass. Find your maintenance calories and eat in a 300-500 caloric surplus and you'll put on muscle with very little fat assuming you're training properly and getting enough protein.

I didn't say you need to eat 6,000 to gain mass :facepalm . I'm saying to reach the 20 pounds in 4 months you said is impossible you need to eat a TON. Blake Griffin talked about his diet a while back for example.. and said he eats 5,000 calories a day just to maintain his mass. You've seen the guys physique right? The reason he has to eat that much to maintain is because when you have so much muscle... your resting burn is sky high.

DuMa
12-06-2011, 03:01 PM
he is gonna use every pound for rebounds. theres lots of them to grab.

Clippersfan86
12-06-2011, 03:02 PM
:roll: . Okay, please go on a 6,000 calorie diet with 70% protein and tell me what happens.

I'm not saying it's the norm, or is recommended. I'm giving extreme examples merely to show that it IS possible. You said genetically impossible which would be absolute. That would imply no human has ever done it, which isn't true. Max you should ever go for protein ratio is half of that in general. 20-30 percent protein ratio tops. Thing is...we don't know what he did... and remember this was only for a few months.

LA_Showtime
12-06-2011, 03:04 PM
I didn't say you need to eat 6,000 to gain mass :facepalm . I'm saying to reach the 20 pounds in 4 months you said is impossible you need to eat a TON. Blake Griffin talked about his diet a while back for example.. and said he eats 5,000 calories a day just to maintain his mass. You've seen the guys physique right? The reason he has to eat that much to maintain is because when you have so much muscle... your resting burn is sky high.

I said it's impossible to gain 20 pounds of muscle, not 20 pounds. I could probably gain 20 pounds in a month if I ate enough. The idea that you can put on 20 pounds of muscle without negatively changing your body composition without any type of illegal supplements is plain wrong.

Yeah, Blake Griffin also happens to be a professional athlete who probably works out an hour or more a day and burns a bunch of calories. He's clearly going to need more food to maintain his body weight. When you factor in exercise it wouldn't surprise me at all if he has to eat between 5,000-6,000 calories. To gain muscle you have to eat a 300-500 caloric surplus... if Blake burns let's say 5,500 calories per day then he's gotta eat anywhere from 5,800-6,00. Still doesn't change the fact no one's putting on 20 pounds of muscle.

Clippersfan86
12-06-2011, 03:05 PM
For example.. the Paleo diet which is cavemen ate... was estimated at 40-50 percent protein, 30-40 percent fat and only 20 percent carbs. They were far more fit than the average human today.

Again 50 percent isn't really close to 70 percent... but it's getting up there compared to the norm now which is 20 on average.

LA_Showtime
12-06-2011, 03:06 PM
I'm not saying it's the norm, or is recommended. I'm giving extreme examples merely to show that it IS possible. You said genetically impossible which would be absolute. That would imply no human has ever done it, which isn't true. Max you should ever go for protein ratio is half of that in general. 20-30 percent protein ratio tops. Thing is...we don't know what he did... and remember this was only for a few months.

The recommended amount of protein for an athlete or bodybuilder is like 0.8-1 grams per lean body mass. Obviously that doesn't factor in what type of diet you're on and I'm sure protein intake varies from person to person. For instance people on keto diets who don't consume many if any carbs have to eat more protein to compensate.

Fatal9
12-06-2011, 03:08 PM
I would assume the weight gain would be pretty lean overall because of great genetics, the amount of cardio he must be doing (to stay in basketball shape) and as a basketball player it's in his interest to minimize how much fat he puts on. It's impossible to know what the diet routine was but 20 lbs would be pretty bad for a dirty bulk if he's been working out since the season ended (7 months ago). And I agree 20 pounds of muscle is impossible to gain in 4 months unless you literally have the best genetics in the world or are running a cycle. I do think however a 15 lb lean muscle gain over the 7 months (didn't read anything in the article saying it was 4 months) is easily possible though for a committed newbie with good genes (avg gain of .5 lean mass per week). If Davis already had the mass of a guy like Karl Malone and came out saying he gained 20 lbs with most of it being muscle...then I'd call BS.

Clippersfan86
12-06-2011, 03:08 PM
I said it's impossible to gain 20 pounds of muscle, not 20 pounds. I could probably gain 20 pounds in a month if I ate enough. The idea that you can put on 20 pounds of muscle without negatively changing your body composition without any type of illegal supplements is plain wrong.

Yeah, Blake Griffin also happens to be a professional athlete who probably works out an hour or more a day and burns a bunch of calories. He's clearly going to need more food to maintain his body weight. When you factor in exercise it wouldn't surprise me at all if he has to eat between 5,000-6,000 calories. To gain muscle you have to eat a 300-500 caloric surplus... if Blake burns let's say 5,500 calories per day then he's gotta eat anywhere from 5,800-6,00. Still doesn't change the fact no one's putting on 20 pounds of muscle.

Okay but then we said 17 pounds of muscle, 3 pounds of fat for example and you still implied that was "genetically impossible". I admitted a little of it, though not much may have been fat. We even included the possibility of creatine and supplement stacking. So why impossible when you have personal chefs and the best trainers/equipment available?

I don't mind learning new things or people disagreeing but you called me an idiot or stupid more than once when nothing I said was coming out of my as* but rather what I've learned being around my dietitian girlfriend, bodybuilding/personal trainer friends and religiously buying Men's Fitness mags.

Have I personally tried to gain 20 pounds? No way! Because as I said... I'm an endomorph. It's easy as hell for me to gain weight, a bit*h to lose.

Clippersfan86
12-06-2011, 03:10 PM
I would assume the weight gain would be pretty lean overall because of great genetics, the amount of cardio he must be doing (to stay in basketball shape) and as a basketball player it's in his interest to minimize how much fat he puts on. It's impossible to know what the diet routine was but 20 lbs would be pretty bad for a dirty bulk if he's been working out since the season ended (7 months ago). And I agree 20 pounds of muscle is impossible to gain in 4 months unless you literally have the best genetics in the world or are running a cycle. I do think however a 15 lb lean muscle gain over the 7 months (didn't read anything in the article saying it was 4 months) is easily possible though for a committed newbie with good genes (avg gain of .5 lean mass per week).

Good post. I never specified 4 months either.. I just got a bit defensive when people said it's IMPOSSIBLE. I guess I don't like people saying impossible when I've seen it before. As I said it could very well have been 17 pounds muscle, 3 pounds fat or something like that AND it could have been over the course of 7 months. Plus as I said.. creatine and supplements can be factored in.

LA_Showtime
12-06-2011, 03:11 PM
I would assume the weight gain would be pretty lean overall because of great genetics, the amount of cardio he must be doing (to stay in basketball shape) and as a basketball player it's in his interest to minimize how much fat he puts on. It's impossible to know what the diet routine was but 20 lbs would be pretty bad for a dirty bulk if he's been working out since the season ended (7 months ago). And I agree 20 pounds of muscle is impossible to gain in 4 months unless you literally have the best genetics in the world or are running a cycle. I do think however a 15 lb lean muscle gain over the 7 months (didn't read anything in the article saying it was 4 months) is easily possible though for a committed newbie with good genes (avg gain of .5 lean mass per week). If Davis already had the mass of a guy like Karl Malone and came out saying he gained 20 lbs with most of it being muscle...then I'd call BS.

Oh no doubt, for a noobie 15 pounds of muscle in 7 months is definitely possible.

LA_Showtime
12-06-2011, 03:11 PM
Okay but then we said 17 pounds of muscle, 3 pounds of fat for example and you still implied that was "genetically impossible". I admitted a little of it, though not much may have been fat. We even included the possibility of creatine and supplement stacking. So why impossible when you have personal chefs and the best trainers/equipment available?

I don't mind learning new things or people disagreeing but you called me an idiot or stupid more than once when nothing I said was coming out of my as* but rather what I've learned being around my dietitian girlfriend, bodybuilding/personal trainer friends and religiously buying Men's Fitness mags.

Have I personally tried to gain 20 pounds? No way! Because as I said... I'm an endomorph. It's easy as hell for me to gain weight, a bit*h to lose.

If he was using creatine than some of that weight is most definitely water weight.

LA_Showtime
12-06-2011, 03:12 PM
Good post. I never specified 4 months either.. I just got a bit defensive when people said it's IMPOSSIBLE. I guess I don't like people saying impossible when I've seen it before. As I said it could very well have been 17 pounds muscle, 3 pounds fat or something like that AND it could have been over the course of 7 months. Plus as I said.. creatine and supplements can be factored in.

You've seen someone gain 20 pounds of muscle in 4 months with no body fat? Give me their email because I wanna know the hell they managed to do that.

Clippersfan86
12-06-2011, 03:13 PM
If he was using creatine than some of that weight is most definitely water weight.

Definitely can have some water weight. I guess we will see what his weight is after training camp. If it's water weight it's going to shed. Obviously if he drops down to 225 or less we are going to know it was all water weight. If he somehow remains 230+ then it will be amazing to see.

Clippersfan86
12-06-2011, 03:14 PM
You've seen someone gain 20 pounds of muscle in 4 months with no body fat? Give me their email because I wanna know the hell they managed to do that.

Well... they gained a couple pounds of fat I'm sure. I meant that their actual body fat actually got lower due to the increase of muscle. If you have a 10 percent body fat at 200 pounds let's say... and you add 15 pounds of muscle, 5 pounds of fat.. mathematically your body fat percentage is actually going to improve right? That's what I meant.

LA_Showtime
12-06-2011, 03:15 PM
Definitely can have some water weight. I guess we will see what his weight is after training camp. If it's water weight it's going to shed. Obviously if he drops down to 225 or less we are going to know it was all water weight. If he somehow remains 230+ then it will be amazing to see.

I don't know his starting weight but I'm guessing he gained like 8-10 pounds of muscle and 10-12 of those pounds are water weight that he'll eventually lose once the NBA season starts.

I doubt you've ever taken creatine or gone on a bulk before but a lot of people see their weight go up 5-10 pounds because of their glycogen stores being filled and their bodies getting used to the extra calories.

Clippersfan86
12-06-2011, 03:17 PM
I don't know his starting weight but I'm guessing he gained like 8-10 pounds of muscle and 10-12 of those pounds are water weight that he'll eventually lose once the NBA season starts.

I doubt you've ever taken creatine or gone on a bulk before but a lot of people see their weight go up 5-10 pounds because of their glycogen stores being filled and their bodies getting used to the extra calories.

This is definitely true and no I've never taken creatine. I don't disagree with this though. Water weight is technically not gaining fat though :cheers: . I would change it to Ed Davis put on 20 pounds of muscle and water this summer... but it wouldn't sound as good!

R-Pattz
12-06-2011, 03:28 PM
Oh shite...that's awesome. Time to jump on the trade Bargnani bandwagon? :s

Finger Roll
12-06-2011, 06:02 PM
Love how quick some people can discredit a 22 year old pro athletes potential at building muslce.

Little easier to add muscle to a frame when you have 7 feet to work with, eat well, sleep right and youre not some 5'10 poster on ISH saying it's impossible with a bowl of frosted flakes all mad.

Clippersfan86
12-06-2011, 06:03 PM
Love how quick some people can discredit a 22 year old pro athletes potential at building muslce.

Little easier to add muscle to a frame when you have 7 feet to work with, eat well, sleep right and youre not some 5'10 poster on ISH saying it's impossible with a bowl of frosted flakes all mad.

I Lol'd.