PDA

View Full Version : Clippers offer DeAndre Jordan 5 years, 40 million contract

All Net
12-06-2011, 05:10 AM
WojYahooNBA Adrian Wojnarowski
Clippers offer 5 years, $40M to keep RFA DeAndre Jordan, sources tell Y! Still, he's destined to sign offer sheet and force them to match

Fiasco
12-06-2011, 05:15 AM
Someone is going to be dumb enough to offer him $50+ million over 5 years, and Olshey is going to be dumb enough to match it.

All Net
12-06-2011, 05:18 AM
Funny how the owners in the lockout didn't get along due to bad contracts...i guess nothing has changed.

jlauber
12-06-2011, 05:20 AM
Rumor has it that both Kareem and Russell are working out...

Kblaze8855
12-06-2011, 05:33 AM
Aside from being a career 65% shooter..and shooting 69% last season making shots that require little skill...

Has he ever done anything worth mentioning twice?

And hes gonna get paid pretty much the same as what Scola gets for being...good. And good...almost all the time.

I guess if Sideshow Bob got like 48 million for...existing on Lebrons team and therefore being an important piece of a contender...

And Tyrus got 40 million for being tall and havng hops with 9 mid range jumpers a season...

But still.

I feel almost like Deandre is...nothing. A total nothing in the NBA.

And he gets half a max deal?

Cleveland Tyrone Hill as a FA this year might cop 90 million.

alenleomessi
12-06-2011, 05:41 AM
probably blake told them to :oldlol:

ballinhun8
12-06-2011, 05:50 AM
With that dumb offer I'm assuming then that he is off the table as a trade asset???

Cuz u doubt the Hornets or Magic would want a terrible contract in return for a potential deal.

hawkfan
12-06-2011, 06:02 AM
He's not worth 40 million, but he's better than Kaman at this point in his career.

ballinhun8
12-06-2011, 06:54 AM
He's not worth 40 million, but he's better than Kaman at this point in his career.

No he definitely is not. Kaman can score, has post moves and can do more then just catch lob passes and dunk.

devin112
12-06-2011, 07:12 AM
Bye Chris, nice knowing ya

Fiasco
12-06-2011, 07:19 AM
No he definitely is not. Kaman can score, has post moves and can do more then just catch lob passes and dunk.

He is a black hole on offence. Can't pass out of a double team, is turnover prone, and is made out of glass.

Jordan might not be the better player but he's certainly just as valuable, maybe even more so.

Real Men Wear Green
12-06-2011, 07:33 AM
An average of 8 mil per isn't far off the going rate for a quality starter. Jordan isn't that yet but he's getting there. It's hard to find a center that has a noticeable impact. Jordan is still too raw but it's not hard to envision him justifying the deal.

Where it gets crazy is when some team with cap space jumps in and offers him 90 mil and acts like they've brought in a budding superstar a la Rashard Lewis and the Magic. The reason he won't just take this offer is that he/his agent knows that there will always be a team willing to overpay for someone young, tall and athletic.

Fatal9
12-06-2011, 07:37 AM
He can be a solid defensive anchor 10/10 with like 2-3 blks once he starts playing enough minutes to avoid foul trouble. They need a shot blocking presence next to Griffin and his role on the team is carved out well for him to succeed. 8 mil is overpaying (as of right now) but it was important for Clippers to secure him and good chance he can be worth that much in a year or two. The average center is going to overpaid no matter what in this league.

blacknapalm
12-06-2011, 07:38 AM
An average of 8 mil per isn't far off the going rate for a quality starter. Jordan isn't that yet but he's getting there. It's hard to find a center that has a noticeable impact. Jordan is still too raw but it's not hard to envision him justifying the deal.

Where it gets crazy is when some team with cap space jumps in and offers him 90 mil and acts like they've brought in a budding superstar a la Rashard Lewis and the Magic. The reason he won't just take this offer is that he/his agent knows that there will always be a team willing to overpay for someone young, tall and athletic.

indeed. he's still pretty good defensively and teams will salivate over a guy that size being that athletic and not a total stiff. the position is shallow so those guys come at a premium these days. i've been saying it for a while...i get the feeling some team will give him a $50 million deal and i really can't justify that. if he doesn't live up to his potential, that's a lot of your salary cap tied to one guy. clippers should hold at this rate and just cut their losses.

one thing i think clippers fans should take note of is that jordan helps hide griffin's defensive deficiencies. jordan has the ability to be an elite defender at his position. sure, kaman is a better offensive player but he's now aging and his TO's are becoming a concern. does that team need that scoring? with a good PG, jordan can still do damage on lobs and hustle plays. then if he develops any semblance of an offensive game, that's gravy.

B-Easy8
12-06-2011, 07:45 AM
Aside from being a career 65% shooter..and shooting 69% last season making shots that require little skill...

And hes gonna get paid pretty much the same as what Scola gets for being...good. And good...almost all the time.

I guess if Sideshow Bob got like 48 million for...existing on Lebrons team and therefore being an important piece of a contender...

And Tyrus got 40 million for being tall and havng hops with 9 mid range jumpers a season...

But still.

Yeah I don't understand all the hype around this guy. He will give you pretty much the same productivity as Darko but with more boards and less points.

bluechox2
12-06-2011, 07:49 AM
clips were dumb offering that much, shud have waited to see what teams were gonna offer first, either way some team is gonna give him more money that they will be forced to match

StroShow4
12-06-2011, 07:57 AM
Can't believe how many people are opposed to DeAndre getting 8 million a year. Look at what the rest of the leagues big men get. Samuel Dalembert made 13 million last season. Tysin Chandler wants 20. Nene's about to get upwards of 15.

DeAndre for 8 is a damn bargain. He's going to be a force on the defensive end. I'll take him over Chandler no doubt with his youth and size.

devin112
12-06-2011, 08:00 AM
Wait, I thought DTS was cheap?

Real Men Wear Green
12-06-2011, 08:41 AM
He is. The deal Jordan is being offered right now is still less than he's going to actually get. Sterling has allowed his front office to offer a deal that's in line with his market value, maybe even under it. Some posters on the board don't think he's worth it but as previously mentioned if a big can tie his shoes he's going to get paid, that's just the reality. Sterling isn't just addicted to cheapness, he's a businessman that wants to make a profit. When Griffin approaches free agency he'll get maxed. So giving Jordan a deal that's probably lower than what he'd make in the open market isn't him breaking with his normal approach. Plus there might be a salary cap minimum that he has to hold to in the new CBA (I'm not sure).

We might even see him overpay someone in the coming years if his basketball people tell him a Championship is within reach.

2LeTTeRS
12-06-2011, 08:48 AM

Sterling run his basketball team like a business. When he has a product that can generate profit because fans want to see it (i.e. in the mid 2000s when he had Brand and Odom) he is willing to spend. But when he doesn't he will penny pinch and hope he lucks into a star by way of the draft.

From a business perspective that's not a bad strategy.

blacknapalm
12-06-2011, 08:51 AM
Sterling run his basketball team like a business. When he has a product that can generate profit because fans want to see it (i.e. in the mid 2000s when he had Brand and Odom) he is willing to spend. But when he doesn't he will penny pinch and hope he lucks into a star by way of the draft.

From a business perspective that's not a bad strategy.

true, but it doesn't help lure in players. it doesn't help when you react to every fan's whim, don't take any risks and do little to put the team over the top unless 'money can be made'. not to mention, their recent drafts haven't exactly been home runs. you can balance winning and profit, but he's way more into the profit side. that's not even touching the reports of blatant racism

dirkdiggler41
12-06-2011, 08:57 AM
The guy is only 23, this is a great deal! Other centers will average the same numbers, get the same amount of money and yet they are 6+ years older.

Real Men Wear Green
12-06-2011, 08:58 AM
true, but it doesn't help lure in players. it doesn't help when you react to every fan's whim, don't take any risks and do little to put the team over the top unless 'money can be made'. not to mention, their recent drafts haven't exactly been home runs. you can balance winning and profit, but he's way more into the profit side. that's not even touching the reports of blatant racism
We all know he's an asshole but I don't see him reacting to fan esires at all, ever.

blacknapalm
12-06-2011, 09:05 AM
We all know he's an asshole but I don't see him reacting to fan esires at all, ever.

i can't think of a specific example but if fans were clamoring for seeing a certain player, you don't think he'd play them? if it means selling tickets and merch, he'll do it in a heartbeat. i get what you're saying but he'll only spend on sure bets and that doesn't make a good owner.

Real Men Wear Green
12-06-2011, 09:38 AM
i can't think of a specific example but if fans were clamoring for seeing a certain player, you don't think he'd play them? if it means selling tickets and merch, he'll do it in a heartbeat. i get what you're saying but he'll only spend on sure bets and that doesn't make a good owner.
I can't think of a player he's handed a huge deal other than Brand, and I think they were just matching an offer sheet (not completely sure here). The only Clipper that's ever incited a high level of individual enthusiasm is Griffin, and how can a team not max out a guy like that? Clipper fans have seen more talent walk than fans of any other team and it's because the team's owner could care less about winning or making them happy if he thought it would negatively effect the bottom line.

chips93
12-06-2011, 10:11 AM

But still.

varejao was/is a great defensive player. doesnt get highlight blocks or anything flashy on defense, but is a great defender, and he is a decent pick and roll player. i think he deserved that contract. when cleveland had lebron, he was valuable enough to justify it.

DJ is looking like he will become one of the best defensive big men in the league, and alongside griffin, he is even more valuable. if he isnt worth 8 million a year, hes worth something pretty close to it.

Grinder
12-06-2011, 10:30 AM
I'm surprised people are saying this is too much - it's a very reasonable contract for a player like Jordan. Unfortunately some team is going to offer him $10-12 mil/yr and possibly regret it. I'd rather have him at $8 mil than Chandler or Nene for $12-14 mil/yr. He's a great fit next to Griffin and would fit well next to a lot of elite power forwards.

HylianNightmare
12-06-2011, 10:39 AM
guess the lockout didn't do much

I.R.Beast
12-06-2011, 10:45 AM
Aside from being a career 65% shooter..and shooting 69% last season making shots that require little skill...Has he ever done anything worth mentioning twice?

But still.

Dwight gets credit for doing much of the same...Why not Jordan?.... Bottom line is they see this Kid's potential to be a defensive force in this league for the next 5 years.

Dave3
12-06-2011, 10:56 AM
Dwight gets credit for doing much of the same...Why not Jordan?.... Bottom line is they see this Kid's potential to be a defensive force in this league for the next 5 years.
Dwight does it as a first option on the floor for 23 ppg. Jordan does it as the 5th for 7 ppg.

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/context?r=75&src=ref&ch=dic
Please read definition number 2. It may help you in the future.

Real Men Wear Green
12-06-2011, 10:57 AM
guess the lockout didn't do much
The way it works (I think) is that if the total money paid to players exceeds 51% of BRI the players as a whole must refund the difference to the owners. But individula players can still get huge deals.

DMV2
12-06-2011, 11:02 AM
It's a great deal based on potential. Very reasonable for both the team and the player, DAJ.

Now if he becomes a top 5 center in the league, which isn't hard to do these day, then this contract would be a huge bargain.

HylianNightmare
12-06-2011, 11:06 AM
The way it works (I think) is that if the total money paid to players exceeds 51% of BRI the players as a whole must refund the difference to the owners. But individula players can still get huge deals.
ah ok:cheers: i owe you a rep

Arroyo8
12-06-2011, 11:22 AM
DJ is a monster on the Defensive end, i hope the clips keep him around

El Kabong
12-06-2011, 11:39 AM
Considering some schmuck GM will probably give a similar deal to Samuel Dalambert, I'd say this would be a good deal for the Clippers. Plus DJ is Griffin's best bud on the team, so you gotta keep the stars happy.

The_Yearning
12-06-2011, 11:47 AM
Lmao Clips have no chance at getting D12 or CPIII if they sign this guy for that much.

Clippersfan86
12-06-2011, 11:50 AM
Lmao Clips have no chance at getting D12 or CPIII if they sign this guy for that much.

...... Even after this deal Clippers have 5-6 mill in cap. Next year everybody comes off the books. We are fine.

I really hope DJ accepts the deal! Our supposedly horrible front office just offered the most fair, perfect contract possible. 8 mill a year is what I've been hoping for all along. It's very fair for the normal, high upside big man who plays defense. Hell some people consider it overpay which the infamous Sterling would never do right? It's also 5 years of stability for DJ. So much for Clippers letting DJ/EJ go and not being willing to keep talent :rolleyes:.

This is the first step to turning the ship around.

El Kabong
12-06-2011, 11:51 AM
They could still ship off Kaman to a team with cap space for little salary in return, but I imagine he'd be needed in any potential Dwight or Paul trade.

yobore
12-06-2011, 11:53 AM
He should be able to get way more than that. He is young and looks like he could be a more athletic Tyson Chandler. If the Clippers get Paul and keep Jordan, everyone will be wondering why they didn't break the bank on DJ

Clippersfan86
12-06-2011, 11:58 AM
He should be able to get way more than that. He is young and looks like he could be a more athletic Tyson Chandler. If the Clippers get Paul and keep Jordan, everyone will be wondering why they didn't break the bank on DJ

How much more than 8 mill a year should a 7 ppg, 7 rpg and 2 bpg player get??? He hasn't even proven he can play 35 minutes a game as a starter and you think he can get "way more"?

El Kabong
12-06-2011, 12:03 PM
How much more than 8 mill a year should a 7 ppg, 7 rpg and 2 bpg player get??? He hasn't even proven he can play 35 minutes a game as a starter and you think he can get "way more"?
Considering the way centres get overpaid it wouldn't surprise me if someone offered him a starting salary of $10 million a year.

yobore
12-06-2011, 12:05 PM
I'm comparing to Tyson Chandler who is asking for 20 million and will probably get 12+ mill despite spending 2 of the last 3 years completely injured. Centers come at a premium and a young center who can potentially have Chandler's effect on teams is going to get some higher bids than 8 mill.

Bigsmoke
12-06-2011, 12:06 PM
lol really?

Clippersfan86
12-06-2011, 12:08 PM
Considering the way centres get overpaid it wouldn't surprise me if someone offered him a starting salary of $10 million a year.

If he gets greedy and forces us to match a dime over 10 mill.... I think Clippers need to consider letting him walk. Or at least signing him then trading his contract. 8 mill is a really fair market value offer. 10 is max the team should go.

Clippersfan86
12-06-2011, 12:09 PM
I'm comparing to Tyson Chandler who is asking for 20 million and will probably get 12+ mill despite spending 2 of the last 3 years completely injured. Centers come at a premium and a young center who can potentially have Chandler's effect on teams is going to get some higher bids than 8 mill.

He may be close to Chandler in terms of play style and what he can be like in a season or two... but Chandler is coming off being the defensive anchor of a championship team. People are paying for experience. Not only that but Chandler has proven he can play 35+ minutes a game and stay out of foul trouble long enough to contribute to the max.

Just because one player is set to get one of the worst contracts in NBA history doesn't mean DeAndre "should" get way more.

chips93
12-06-2011, 12:18 PM
If he gets greedy and forces us to match a dime over 10 mill.... I think Clippers need to consider letting him walk. Or at least signing him then trading his contract. 8 mill is a really fair market value offer. 10 is max the team should go.

its greedy to take the most amount of money available?

in that case 90% of the players in the league should be considered greedy.

Clippersfan86
12-06-2011, 12:22 PM
its greedy to take the most amount of money available?

in that case 90% of the players in the league should be considered greedy.

Astute observation. Obviously most pro athletes are greedy. I'm just saying if he cares about the teams flexibility going forward he won't drive the price another few mill. Especially if he wants to be here and be a part of the great core. He can't forget EJ+Griffin next extensions too... plus we need free agents.

The Kobe method of demanding biggest salary in NBA history then getting mad when front office can't surround you with talent rest of your career isn't good for the team going forward. DJ should be willing to sacrifice 2-3 mill a year so that we can build the team and contend.

niko
12-06-2011, 12:27 PM
He may be close to Chandler in terms of play style and what he can be like in a season or two... but Chandler is coming off being the defensive anchor of a championship team. People are paying for experience. Not only that but Chandler has proven he can play 35+ minutes a game and stay out of foul trouble long enough to contribute to the max.

Just because one player is set to get one of the worst contracts in NBA history doesn't mean DeAndre "should" get way more.
Very well said. BTW, can you make me a Knicks Paul avi when he comes here instead? Your avi is very nice. :D

I actually like the CLippers, as i did the Nuggets, so i hope (like the nuggets did) all of you don't become our eternal enemies. I'm not worried about NOLA fans hating me because i'm not sure there are any.

Rooster
12-06-2011, 12:30 PM
Good offer. 8 million a year is about a fair market value for Jordan. He can probably get better offer but I think Clips intend to match it and trade Kaman later. He can anchor the defense and make Griffin focus more on offense. If Clips can keep him and they should, they will have a solid front court for many years especially if Griffin decide to stick around.

Clippersfan86
12-06-2011, 12:41 PM
Very well said. BTW, can you make me a Knicks Paul avi when he comes here instead? Your avi is very nice. :D

I actually like the CLippers, as i did the Nuggets, so i hope (like the nuggets did) all of you don't become our eternal enemies. I'm not worried about NOLA fans hating me because i'm not sure there are any.

Lol thanks. I didn't make it actually, somebody else did. Ask Fiasco who made him his Deron one.... and maybe he can find you a CP3/Knicks one.

ZeN
12-06-2011, 12:43 PM

But still.

QFT

Darius
12-06-2011, 12:52 PM
Jordan is prob worth $5-$6m now.

If he fulfills 50% of his potential? $7m-$8m.

If he fulfills 75%? $10m-$12m.

At the end of the day, however, it is about supply and demand.

Besides, if I'm the Clippers and I have to pay Blake Griffin's best friend a couple extra mil to stick around, I ain't trippin'...

Now if gets an offer sheet for $10m+ then it's decision time...

Kevin_Gamble
12-06-2011, 12:57 PM
Astute observation. Obviously most pro athletes are greedy. I'm just saying if he cares about the teams flexibility going forward he won't drive the price another few mill. Especially if he wants to be here and be a part of the great core. He can't forget EJ+Griffin next extensions too... plus we need free agents.

The Kobe method of demanding biggest salary in NBA history then getting mad when front office can't surround you with talent rest of your career isn't good for the team going forward. DJ should be willing to sacrifice 2-3 mill a year so that we can build the team and contend.

I hope the Clippers FO thinks this way, so the Celtics can sign Griffin when he later refuses to sacrifice 2-3 mil. a year for the good of the Clippers.

Droid101
12-06-2011, 12:59 PM
I see none of you are reading Grantland.

http://www.grantland.com/story/_/id/7319695/the-second-day-nba-christmas

Most Coveted 1a. Marc Gasol
Most Coveted 1b. Tyson Chandler
Most Coveted 1c. Nene

Because that's the case, DeAndre Jordan creeps into the second level of "top" 2011 free agents for the same reason that Saab lingered in the relative proximity of BMW and Mercedes for all those years even though it was an inferior car: People overpaid for Saabs because they wanted a European car and couldn't afford a BMW or Mercedes, just like a team will overpay for Jordan because they didn't get Gasol, Chandler or Nene. Here's what Level 2 looks like:

4. David West
5. Arron Afflalo (restricted)
6. DeAndre Jordan (restricted)
7. Thaddeus Young (restricted)

Important note: I like DeAndre Jordan!!! Trust me, I'm a Clippers season-ticket holder

TheBluest
12-06-2011, 01:13 PM
I can't think of a player he's handed a huge deal other than Brand, and I think they were just matching an offer sheet (not completely sure here). The only Clipper that's ever incited a high level of individual enthusiasm is Griffin, and how can a team not max out a guy like that? Clipper fans have seen more talent walk than fans of any other team and it's because the team's owner could care less about winning or making them happy if he thought it would negatively effect the bottom line.

When fans talk about Sterling's cheapness I always get a kick out of it. I mean they have used the 2001-2002 Clipper Free Agency as a means to define Sterling eternally. First of all who deserved long term deals since(Miller/Odom/Q/Miles)? You could argue neither of them deserved the deals they received when they left at the time.

- He matched Brand stopped him from going to Miami $60mil

- He offered Brand again another $70mil but he decided to leave to Philly

- He extended Chris Kaman at $50mil

- He gave Baron $65mil after Brand spurned them

- He gave Gomes $12mil

- He gave Tim Thomas $24mil

Do you guys truly watch the NBA or are you brainwashed by the masses of haters? Look Sterling hasn't been the most endearing owner but he has proven to pay players but rarely if ever those he signs live up to their contracts which makes a more frugal owner not want to in other cases.

- Oh no he let the great Shaun Livingston go....

- Oh No he let the great Al Thornton go.....

- Oh No he let the great Bobby Simmons go......

- Oh No he let the great Bassy go!!!!!!!!!!

:facepalm :facepalm

Either watch the NBA or continue not watching the NBA

Clippersfan86
12-06-2011, 01:16 PM
I hope the Clippers FO thinks this way, so the Celtics can sign Griffin when he later refuses to sacrifice 2-3 mil. a year for the good of the Clippers.

LOL yes because DeAndre Jordan's value to the team is the same as Blake's.

christian1923
12-06-2011, 01:51 PM
LMAO clippers are crazy

Rnbizzle
12-06-2011, 01:53 PM
Dude shot 45% from the freethrow line? :facepalm

Clippersfan86
12-06-2011, 01:55 PM
Dude shot 45% from the freethrow line? :facepalm

He makes Shaq proud.

Rose
12-06-2011, 02:11 PM
:applause: :applause:

He's worth about 5 million right now. And by this time next year I think this could be a bargain. Even if he NEVER improves, it's not that bad of deal, at all.:applause:

DuMa
12-06-2011, 02:22 PM
its not a bad offer. its a starting point. i think deandre will want more.

Real Men Wear Green
12-06-2011, 02:51 PM
When fans talk about Sterling's cheapness I always get a kick out of it. I mean they have used the 2001-2002 Clipper Free Agency as a means to define Sterling eternally. First of all who deserved long term deals since(Miller/Odom/Q/Miles)? You could argue neither of them deserved the deals they received when they left at the time.

- He matched Brand stopped him from going to Miami $60mil

- He offered Brand again another $70mil but he decided to leave to Philly

- He extended Chris Kaman at $50mil

- He gave Baron $65mil after Brand spurned them

- He gave Gomes $12mil

- He gave Tim Thomas $24mil

Do you guys truly watch the NBA or are you brainwashed by the masses of haters? Look Sterling hasn't been the most endearing owner but he has proven to pay players but rarely if ever those he signs live up to their contracts which makes a more frugal owner not want to in other cases.

- Oh no he let the great Shaun Livingston go....

- Oh No he let the great Al Thornton go.....

- Oh No he let the great Bobby Simmons go......

- Oh No he let the great Bassy go!!!!!!!!!!

:facepalm :facepalm

Either watch the NBA or continue not watching the NBA
If you have been watching the NBA then you would know that handing Ryan Gomes 12 mil isn't a big deal, nor is 24 mil to Tiny Tim change the fact that the owner is cheap. The Clippers are always amongst the teams with the lowest total salary. Yes, they gave Davis a huge deal thinking they were getting an elite PG. But what you neglected to mention (I'm assuming you know this because you watch the NBA) is that they traded away one of the top picks in the draft to get his contract off their books. These are the actions of a cheap owner. Sterling does not spend money on par with the other NBA team owners. This is a fact.

Oh, and he's also a terrible human being.

Fiasco
12-06-2011, 03:09 PM
If you have been watching the NBA then you would know that handing Ryan Gomes 12 mil isn't a big deal, nor is 24 mil to Tiny Tim change the fact that the owner is cheap. The Clippers are always amongst the teams with the lowest total salary. Yes, they gave Davis a huge deal thinking they were getting an elite PG. But what you neglected to mention (I'm assuming you know this because you watch the NBA) is that they traded away one of the top picks in the draft to get his contract off their books. These are the actions of a cheap owner. Sterling does not spend money on par with the other NBA team owners. This is a fact.

Oh, and he's also a terrible human being.

They moved Baron Davis for what turned out to be the 1st overall because he was a cancer to this team. He is the reason Eric Gordon couldn't break out until his 3rd season; he's the reason we never made the playoffs because he was too busy nursing his injuries and making B-Grade movies.

We thought we were getting a superstar, so we signed him to a huge contract. We had to cut our losses because let's face it, nobody was going to take Baron Davis under performing ass unless we were going to severely overpay. Because he's gone, our cap situation in 2012 looks good and we could potentially sign another star depending on what unravels during the season.

It's not simply because Sterling "didn't want to pay his contract". It was a smart business move. There was no way of knowing whether or not the Amnesty provision was going to be in place of the CBA. Had Olshey had that guarantee, you can bet Davis would be cut and we'd have kept our first rounder (which might not even have been #1 overall).

Real Men Wear Green
12-06-2011, 03:31 PM
They moved Baron Davis for what turned out to be the 1st overall
You might as well have given up after you wrote this sentence. #1 picks are for drafting guys you think will make multiple All-Star games and win MVP awards. You don't sacrifice that kind of opportunity out of fear of a malcontent. If he's that big of a problem negotiate a buyout and draft the young stud who can grow up alongside Blake Griffin. Sure the cap space could be used to sign a star but when's the last time the Clips did that? I'm almost completely sure that they have never signed someone else's All-Star away in a bidding war in the Sterling era. Can you think of an example of this happening? They had max cap space last year, who did they bring in?

senelcoolidge
12-06-2011, 03:36 PM
5 years at 40 mil is a good start. DJ is not worth more than 10. I think someone will be dumb enough to offer more. Let's see what happens. It looks like the Clippers FO knows what it's doing.

Clippersfan86
12-06-2011, 03:38 PM
You might as well have given up after you wrote this sentence. #1 picks are for drafting guys you think will make multiple All-Star games and win MVP awards. You don't sacrifice that kind of opportunity out of fear of a malcontent. If he's that big of a problem negotiate a buyout and draft the young stud who can grow up alongside Blake Griffin. Sure the cap space could be used to sign a star but when's the last time the Clips did that? I'm almost completely sure that they have never signed someone else's All-Star away in a bidding war in the Sterling era. Can you think of an example of this happening? They had max cap space last year, who did they bring in?

Forgetting one thing here. Nobody from last years draft is likely to be an MVP, multiple time all star etc. It was a terribly weak draft and people will see soon enough when the season starts. May not seem like a big deal but the 4-5 mill a year saved by trading Baron is going to be a HUGE help after we re-sign DJ. Guess how much cap we would have had with DJ re signed+Baron? Negative cap.

The_Yearning
12-06-2011, 03:40 PM
Since when did the Clippers get so many fans?

Clippersfan86
12-06-2011, 03:41 PM
Since when did the Clippers get so many fans?

They've been here. They are finally getting the confidence to speak up to all the douchebags who have been ridiculing them for years because the team is looking very respectable going forward right now. I've always been a confrontational fan in general towards pricks but most Clippers fans are low key.

Fatal9
12-06-2011, 03:45 PM
They've been here. They are finally getting the confidence to speak up to all the douchebags who have been ridiculing them for years because the team is looking very respectable going forward right now. I've always been a confrontational fan in general towards pricks but most Clippers fans are low key.

just sayin :lol

Clippersfan86
12-06-2011, 03:47 PM

just sayin :lol

I've been on another big Clippers forum since early 2008 where I'm a mod... and I've had my email address Clippersfan86 since 2000 :cheers: .

Real Men Wear Green
12-06-2011, 03:57 PM
Forgetting one thing here. Nobody from last years draft is likely to be an MVP, multiple time all star etc. It was a terribly weak draft and people will see soon enough when the season starts. May not seem like a big deal but the 4-5 mill a year saved by trading Baron is going to be a HUGE help after we re-sign DJ. Guess how much cap we would have had with DJ re signed+Baron? Negative cap.
How on earth could you know that? There were a number of guys that looked like good players. Derrick Williams and Kyrie Irving are going to be All-Stars one day. Discounting an entire class has never made any sense and never will. Do you have any idea how rarely an entire draft class produces no stars?
Since when did the Clippers get so many fans?Blake Griffin. And we can expect more to pop up.

Clippersfan86
12-06-2011, 04:00 PM
How on earth could you know that? There were a number of guys that looked like good players. Derrick Williams and Kyrie Irving are going to be All-Stars one day. Discounting an entire class has never made any sense and never will. Do you have any idea how rarely an entire draft class produces no stars? Blake Griffin. And we can expect more to pop up.

Buddy it's simple odds. You expecting number 1 picks to be MVP's, multiple time all stars is FAR FAR more unlikely than them being role players. There isn't a SINGLE sure fire star from last years draft that was an A+ prospect and you know it.

Darius
12-06-2011, 04:06 PM
Buddy it's simple odds. You expecting number 1 picks to be MVP's, multiple time all stars is FAR FAR more unlikely than them being role players. There isn't a SINGLE sure fire star from last years draft that was an A+ prospect and you know it.

Discounting Irving's talent is silly just because you want to Clippers to "win" a trade.

He has def. all-star talent.

Real Men Wear Green
12-06-2011, 04:07 PM
23 of the 31 #1 picks since 1980 have made the ASG. And this does not include John Wall who looks like a future All-Star and Kyrie Irving who has not had the chance to prove himself yet. So what are you basing your baseless opinion on?

Droid101
12-06-2011, 04:10 PM
You're being purposefully obtuse.

The pick was going to be in the 10-12 range. In other words, shit in a weak draft.

By the stroke of incredible luck did it turn out to be the top pick.

Kblaze8855
12-06-2011, 04:12 PM
There are like 2 drafts in 65 years that didnt produce stars. And thats with me not counting several all stars in both because im not terribly impressed with them(like Kenyon Martin, Michael Redd, and Magloire in 2000).

Trading a likely top pick to save money is cheap no matter how you look at it.

It ended up being the #1 pick in the draft. Doesnt matter what you think the draft looks like.

I was on here in 2003 when people were saying the 03 draft was 2 players deep. Melo and Lebron....with a lot of Pistons fans saying Darko made it a 3 man draft and that in such a shitty class you gotta take Darko who could be a star over the people behind him more proven but with less potential. People were reporting that Riley was so unimpressed with the people after the top 2 he was gonna trade the pick or take Lampe and let him develop overseas(and he ended up going second round). And then.....

Lebron
Melo
Wade
Bosh
Josh Howard
David West
Mo Williams
Kirk
Diaw
Barbosa
Perkins

...later....its one of the great drafts ever.

The draft almost always gives you stars. In fact...the draft literally always gives you at least one or two stars(2000 has at least 3 all stars and a borderline all star and a lot of good role players).

You trade a pick like that for money you pass up on any chance at taking one of them. In 2-3 years it may become obvious they passed on the next Wade. Or it might just be the next....borderline al lstar 17/7 22 year old. But its gonna be something.

Might work out...might not. Just feels wrong for a rebuilding team.

Clippersfan86
12-06-2011, 04:12 PM

The pick was going to be in the 10-12 range. In other words, shit in a weak draft.

And that's the point. I'm excited because in a couple weeks people are going to switch it to Clippers have one of the best GM's in the NBA after a couple good moves/signings. It's like people were saying only a week ago the Clippers have no desire to compete, keep their own talent. They are currently in a second meeting with Caron Butler and have already thrown a contract out there for DeAndre. Clipper cliches are going to die hard, very soon.

Clippersfan86
12-06-2011, 04:14 PM
There are like 2 drafts in 65 years that didnt produce stars. And thats with me not counting several all stars in both because im not terribly impressed with them(like Kenyon Martin).

Trading a likely top pick to save money is cheap no matter how you look at it.

It ended up being the #1 pick in the draft. Doesnt matter what you think the draft looks like.

I was on here in 2003 when people were saing the 03 draft was 2 players deep. Melo and Lebron....with a lot of Pistons fans saying Darko made it a 3 man draft. People were reporting that Riley was so unimpressed with the people after the top 2 he was gonna trade the pick or tae Lampe and let him develop overseas(and he ended up goin second round). And then.....

Lebron
Melo
Wade
Bosh
Josh Howard
David West
Mo Williams
Kirk
Diaw
Barbosa
Perkins

...later....its one of the great drafts ever.

The draft almost always gives you stars. In fact...the draft literally always gives you at least one or two stars(2000 has at least 3 all stars and a borderline all star and a lot of good role players).

You trade a pick like that for money you pass up on any chance at taking one of them. In 2-3 years it may become obvious they passed on the next Wade. Or it might just be the next....borderline al lstar 17/7 22 year old. But its gonna be something.

Might work out...might not. Just feels wrong for a rebuilding team.

Agree a couple players are likely to emerge but who's to say it will be the top 3 picks? Also who the hell are you guys to criticize the Clippers when that pick had a 2.7 percent chance of being the top pick? There isn't anything to criticize.. because they didn't have the advantage of hindsight. At the time it was a smart move and it turned out to be a bad trade but it's not a debilitating trade that the team is going to regret for a long time. Not yet at least.

Clippersfan86
12-06-2011, 04:15 PM
23 of the 31 #1 picks since 1980 have made the ASG. And this does not include John Wall who looks like a future All-Star and Kyrie Irving who has not had the chance to prove himself yet. So what are you basing your baseless opinion on?

The fact that people that have been around the NBA for 50 years or more have called this the draft without stars. A top 5 weakest draft in NBA history. How many other number 1 picks played only 11 college games?

Real Men Wear Green
12-06-2011, 04:16 PM

"Luck" is what the lottery is about. You do know that, right? And how do people know this draft is weak? We hear someone say that about a years class far too often. It's just an opinion based on speculation, not a known fact of any kind.

DFish
12-06-2011, 04:16 PM
Trading Baron Davis and the Kyrie Irving pick for Mo Williams and Jamario Moon was stupid. It's part of the reason why the Clippers have always and probably will continue to suck.

Clippersfan86
12-06-2011, 04:18 PM
"Luck" is what the lottery is about. You do know that, right? And how do people know this draft is weak? We hear someone say that about a years class far too often. It's just an opinion based on speculation, not a known fact of any kind.

Regardless of your opinions being important to you.. they are off base and off topic. Stay on topic. You criticizing what you feel was a bad trade has nothing to do with DJ signing or the fact that the Clippers HAVE indeed retained talent in the last decade.

Kblaze8855
12-06-2011, 04:21 PM
Who is anyone to criticize anyone doing a job they arent involved in?

We are sports fans judging sports moves. Like the rest of the world.

And people called the deal cheap even then.

not everyone. And in hindsight all bad moves look worse of course. But fact is...they tried to save money...and in the process traded the #1 pick which is literally always...with no exceptions....capable of being used to draft a young all star. IF this is the first time that ends up not being the case...so be it. Im just saying...its never happened before.

The most hated drafts produce stars and franchise players. People hate on 86...it had like 5-6 all stars and a few hall of fame talents ad an actual HOF player or two.

There are bad drafts. But most bad drafts in the eyes of fans come from years people didnt expect it. Lots of drafts called weak end up great.

Best case...best..they traded money for a rookie who will be an all star at some point. Unless this is the only draft to EVER not produce stars....they traded cash for the chance to decide to take a 20 year old future all star.

Just how it is. Hindsight makes it easy to see. Doesnt make it untrue.

Real Men Wear Green
12-06-2011, 04:21 PM
The fact that people that have been around the NBA for 50 years or more have called this the draft without stars. A top 5 weakest draft in NBA history. How many other number 1 picks played only 11 college games?
The only reason playing 11 games would matter is if you think he's injury prone. There have been #1 draft picks that didn't play in college at all. And? Not impressed by whatever 80 year-old analyst you didn't link to calling this class weak, I know I saw talent playing in the tournament.

Real Men Wear Green
12-06-2011, 04:23 PM
Regardless of your opinions being important to you.. they are off base and off topic. Stay on topic. You criticizing what you feel was a bad trade has nothing to do with DJ signing or the fact that the Clippers HAVE indeed retained talent in the last decade.
Don't even know what your talking about here. And not sure that it matters.

Clippersfan86
12-06-2011, 04:25 PM

not everyone. And in hindsight all bad moves look worse of course. But fact is...they tried to save money...and in the process traded the #1 pick which is literally always...with no exceptions....capable of being used to draft a young all star. IF this is the first time that ends up not being the case...so be it. Im just saying...its never happened before.

The most hated drafts produce stars and franchise players. People hate on 86...it had like 5-6 all stars and a few hall of fame talents ad an actual HOF player or two.

There are bad drafts. But most bad drafts in the eyes of fans come from years people didnt expect it. Lots of drafts called weak end up great.

Best case...best..they traded money for a rookie who will be an all star at some point. Unless this is the only draft to EVER not produce stars....they traded cash for the chance to decide to take a 20 year old future all star.

It was a good move financially and didn't have to do with penny pinching. That 4 million extra a year is going to cover half of DJ's salary. If we hadn't made trade and let's say DJ pushes contract out to 9 mill a year with another team.. we are already OVER the cap. Which cripples our flexibility greatly. Right now Caron is meeting with the Clippers again as we speak. If he wants let's say 7-8 mill a year... we would only be able to afford him, nobody else. But since we are under the cap we can sign Caron, another free agent for around 3-4 mill AND still have MLE available. All over a difference of 4-5 mill.

For a team like the Clippers currently flexibility is a MUST.

Clippersfan86
12-06-2011, 04:27 PM
Don't even know what your talking about here. And not sure that it matters.

Your trade comment was a response to somebody giving examples of Sterling retaining talent this decade. Not sure what point you were even trying to make because you don't really have one :confusedshrug: . It's just random criticizing. Like I said the cliches are dying hard so people are starting to nitpick the Clippers. Baron trade, bad history etc. Focus on the topic at hand.

Clippersfan86
12-06-2011, 04:28 PM
The only reason playing 11 games would matter is if you think he's injury prone. There have been #1 draft picks that didn't play in college at all. And? Not impressed by whatever 80 year-old analyst you didn't link to calling this class weak, I know I saw talent playing in the tournament.

I don't need a link. How many people did you see on every sports venue calling it one of the weakest drafts ever? A draft with no stars? All you have to do is open your eyes and ears. BTW playing 11 games isn't about being injury prone alone. It's also the fact that his success was in a small sampling size. Anybody can have 11 good games if they are decently talented and play for the right system.

Real Men Wear Green
12-06-2011, 04:29 PM
Your trade comment was a response to somebody giving examples of Sterling retaining talent this decade. Not sure what point you were even trying to make because you don't really have one :confusedshrug: . It's just random criticizing. Like I said the cliches are dying hard so people are starting to nitpick the Clippers. Baron trade, bad history etc. Focus on the topic at hand.
People that can read understood what I meant. Of that I'm certain. You don't? Your problem.

ihatetimthomas
12-06-2011, 04:30 PM

But still.

Its not really about true value for big men. Its about market price. For what Deandre has done and for what he did last season, maybe he doesn't deserve that amount of money. But there are so many more variables when defining a players worth. How old is he? How does he fit with the team? How much do other teams value him? What is the going rate for players of his caliber? You must take all of these things into consideration when offering up a player money.

This all goes for any player in the league. You are going to get what your market price is. A lot of the time, that isnt your true value in the what you produced in your most recent year. But this is how the NBA works. With the new CBA, you will begin to see contract offers to be smaller as time goes on given the constraints on the cap. But you will always see players getting paid what their value around the league is.

Its all but certain he would have easily rejected a 30 mil contract. Why? Because someone else is going to offer him more.

For a person who has watched the Clippers the last few years consistently, I am fine with this deal. His skillset compliments Griffin and he made a pretty big jump in overall productivity and consistency last season. He was a solid defensive player. I was the biggest critic of him prior to last season but he has managed to hone his athletic ability and stay on the floor longer than he ever could. The improvement alone and what he brought last season makes me believe this deal is not bad.

Fiasco
12-06-2011, 04:30 PM

The odds of Irving winning MVP awards and making multiple All-Star appearances are about as good as the odds of the projected #8 pick in the draft falling to #1. So incredibly low that they shouldn't be seriously considered. How does Kyrie Irving have this amazing potential after only playing 11 college games? He has chronic foot problems.

Buyouts still count against the cap. On top of having to pay Baron Davis to officially do nothing, his salary would continue to count against our cap and we'd have even less room to make moves. Why would management pursue this option?

Last year we had the cap space to sign LBJ. It was a longshot, but the attempt was made. Meetings and everything. So there's that. And when he didn't sign, management tried to fill in holes (namely a starting 3, and back-up 2 guard). They managed to sign Gomes and Foye. But I'm starting to think that if they hadn't signed anyone, it would have somehow mystically lent credence to the myth that Sterling "doesn't spend money."

Real Men Wear Green
12-06-2011, 04:34 PM
I don't need a link. How many people did you see on every sports venue calling it one of the weakest drafts ever? A draft with no stars? All you have to do is open your eyes and ears. BTW playing 11 games isn't about being injury prone alone. It's also the fact that his success was in a small sampling size. Anybody can have 11 good games if they are decently talented and play for the right system.
Do you know why Duke recruited him in the first place? Newsflash: he wasn't drafted for his college career. Just a few years ago the NBA was drafting guys based on their HS career alone. As for the draft as a whole? I can't think of anyone saying the class had no talent. If you can, find a link to some kind of analyst and we can talk about that but I'm not going to argue with you over comments I've never heard that may or may not exist solely in your head.

Of course, I don't know why you're even bothering to reply, seeing as you claim to have no idea what point I'm trying to make.

Clippersfan86
12-06-2011, 04:37 PM
"But what you neglected to mention (I'm assuming you know this because you watch the NBA) is that they traded away one of the top picks in the draft to get his contract off their books. These are the actions of a cheap owner. Sterling does not spend money on par with the other NBA team owners. This is a fact."

Your words. Recent actions by the team in the last decade prove that you're wrong in implying the team isn't willing to spend. You also don't know we re-signed Cassell and signed Mobley to 5 years. Or that we offered Kobe and Gilbert Arenas MAX deals. Kobe said he was a coin flip from joining the Clippers, Sterling and all.

Just because the Clippers have happened to be below the salary cap doesn't mean they are UNWILLING to spend.

You're obviously misinformed when it comes to the Clippers. The team didn't trade him to save money. They traded him because they didn't like the influence he had on the young players. Or the fact that the guy had 3 good months in 2.5 years. The saving of money was a secondary bonus which is going to be looked at as VERY smart here pretty soon when we have to keep all of our players.

Clippersfan86
12-06-2011, 04:40 PM
Do you know why Duke recruited him in the first place? Newsflash: he wasn't drafted for his college career. Just a few years ago the NBA was drafting guys based on their HS career alone. As for the draft as a whole? I can't think of anyone saying the class had no talent. If you can, find a link to some kind of analyst and we can talk about that but I'm not going to argue with you over comments I've never heard that may or may not exist solely in your head.

Of course, I don't know why you're even bothering to reply, seeing as you claim to have no idea what point I'm trying to make.

Didn't say draft had no talent. I'm saying it has weak star potential and in general was a weak draft. There are likely to be 2-3 solid or good players from the draft obviously.

Real Men Wear Green
12-06-2011, 04:48 PM
The odds of Irving winning MVP awards and making multiple All-Star appearances are about as good as the odds of the projected #8 pick in the draft falling to #1. So incredibly low that they shouldn't be seriously considered. How does Kyrie Irving have this amazing potential after only playing 11 college games? He has chronic foot problems.IF you take a guy with the #1 pick you do so because you think he's going to be a superstar. No one takes that pick with the thought they're getting a new Derek Fisher. I will agree with you that it's unlikely Irving ever wins MVP simply because that's an award the vast majority never touch, I don't think he'll ever be better than Durant, etc. But he should be a perennial All-Star one day and there are going to be a number of excellent players in this year's class. The odds are strongly against there being no talent.

Buyouts still count against the cap. On top of having to pay Baron Davis to officially do nothing, his salary would continue to count against our cap and we'd have even less room to make moves. Why would management pursue this option?To keep their lottery pick. I'm not saying Davis was an asset but if your team ownership isn't cheap then you don't ship off your lottery pick to get cap space. It saved Sterling money, and given his history of spending less than the other team owners it reinforces the obvious reality that he's..."more concerned with profit margin than winning." That's the nice way of saying it.

Last year we had the cap space to sign LBJ. It was a longshot, but the attempt was made. Meetings and everything. So there's that. And when he didn't sign, management tried to fill in holes (namely a starting 3, and back-up 2 guard). They managed to sign Gomes and Foye. But I'm starting to think that if they hadn't signed anyone, it would have somehow mystically lent credence to the myth that Sterling "doesn't spend money."You know that Sterling didn't even bother to meet James during this alleged courtship? If he really wanted to win why didn't he meet his potential franchise savior like every other owner who was going after James? I have no doubt that he'd have maxed James because James would have made him money but it was never a passion for him because to him the Clippers are just another business. Now, a question:

Do you really think that Gomes and Foye are major signings? That's just filling out a roster with roleplayers. Everyone does that every year.

Clippersfan86
12-06-2011, 04:50 PM
IF you take a guy with the #1 pick you do so because you think he's going to be a superstar. No one takes that pick with the thought they're getting a new Derek Fisher. I will agree with you that it's unlikely Irving ever wins MVP simply because that's an award the vast majority never touch, I don't think he'll ever be better than Durant, etc. But he should be a perennial All-Star one day and there are going to be a number of excellent players in this year's class. The odds are strongly against there being no talent.

To keep their lottery pick. I'm not saying Davis was an asset but if your team ownership isn't cheap then you don't ship off your lottery pick to get cap space. It saved Sterling money, and given his history of spending less than the other team owners it reinforces the obvious reality that he's..."more concerned with profit margin than winning." That's the nice way of saying it.

You know that Sterling didn't even bother to meet James during this alleged courtship? If he really wanted to win why didn't he meet his potential franchise savior like every other owner who was going after James? I have no doubt that he'd have maxed James because James would have made him money but it was never a passion for him because to him the Clippers are just another business. Now, a question:

Do you really think that Gomes and Foye are major signings? That's just filling out a roster with roleplayers. Everyone does that every year.

:facepalm . You realize the only difference in interest we are receiving this year.... is that Griffin has proven himself as a superstar? Last year we probably couldn't beg players to join us. Things have changed and you would be able to see that if you cared to pay attention. Things have changed. Sterling hasn't changed and he doesn't need to. Players don't join teams because of ownership. It's never been about that. 90+ percent of NBA owners are business minded jerks.

Real Men Wear Green
12-06-2011, 04:57 PM
"But what you neglected to mention (I'm assuming you know this because you watch the NBA) is that they traded away one of the top picks in the draft to get his contract off their books. These are the actions of a cheap owner. Sterling does not spend money on par with the other NBA team owners. This is a fact."

Your words. Recent actions by the team in the last decade prove that you're wrong in implying the team isn't willing to spend. You also don't know we re-signed Cassell and signed Mobley to 5 years. Or that we offered Kobe and Gilbert Arenas MAX deals. Kobe said he was a coin flip from joining the Clippers, Sterling and all.I've repeatedly said that Sterling is willing to max superstars, which Bryant is and Arenas was. Cassell and Mobley? So? To free you from the need to list every single signing the team's ever made, we all know that they sign basketball players every year. But in case you didn't notice, the team has been bad for decades with few and far between periods of .500+ basketball. This is because they have generally inferior rosters, and that is directly related to the fact that Sterling does not pay on par with other teams.

Just because the Clippers have happened to be below the salary cap doesn't mean they are UNWILLING to spend.

You're obviously misinformed when it comes to the Clippers. The team didn't trade him to save money. They traded him because they didn't like the influence he had on the young players. Or the fact that the guy had 3 good months in 2.5 years. The saving of money was a secondary bonus which is going to be looked at as VERY smart here pretty soon when we have to keep all of our players.
You've already said all of this, and I've replied. I have not seen any support for anything you have to say. We're done.

Clippersfan86
12-06-2011, 05:06 PM
I've repeatedly said that Sterling is willing to max superstars, which Bryant is and Arenas was. Cassell and Mobley? So? To free you from the need to list every single signing the team's ever made, we all know that they sign basketball players every year. But in case you didn't notice, the team has been bad for decades with few and far between periods of .500+ basketball. This is because they have generally inferior rosters, and that is directly related to the fact that Sterling does not pay on par with other teams.

You've already said all of this, and I've replied. I have not seen any support for anything you have to say. We're done.

Can't make players go where they don't want to. Clippers didn't have a product on the floor worth joining forces with for free agents historically. Besides I'm talking about the last decade in which it's improved tremendously. In the last decade we have had more big contract free agent signings/attempts than the Celtics have.

Resigned Brand for 82 million over 6 years.
Resigned Corey Maggette for 45 million over 6 years.
Resigned Chris Kaman for 52 million over 5 years.
Signed Cuttino Mobley for 42 million over 5 years.
Signed Baron Davis for 65 milliion over 5 years.

That doesn't even factor in smaller ones like Sam Cassell re signing or our attempts made for big time players. What more evidence do you need? Only players we have let go are knuckleheads like Q Rich, Odom and Andre Miller. Look how Bobby Simmons did after we didn't try to retain him? He's been a role player. Let the false cliches die.

Fiasco
12-06-2011, 05:13 PM
IF you take a guy with the #1 pick you do so because you think he's going to be a superstar. No one takes that pick with the thought they're getting a new Derek Fisher. I will agree with you that it's unlikely Irving ever wins MVP simply because that's an award the vast majority never touch, I don't think he'll ever be better than Durant, etc. But he should be a perennial All-Star one day and there are going to be a number of excellent players in this year's class. The odds are strongly against there being no talent.

I never said he wasn't talented, though. The hype he received pre-and-post draft are a testament to his abilities. My line of thinking is this: we could have drafted Irving and kept Davis' contract while being unable to make any foreseeable moves in the future, or we could lose Baron, lose our draft pick (which we had no way of knowing would be #1) and create cap space to resign Jordan and Gordon while looking for our younger players to develop.

To keep their lottery pick. I'm not saying Davis was an asset but if your team ownership isn't cheap then you don't ship off your lottery pick to get cap space. It saved Sterling money, and given his history of spending less than the other team owners it reinforces the obvious reality that he's..."more concerned with profit margin than winning." That's the nice way of saying it.

Who was available at #8 that was worth justifying Davis' contract for the next 2 years? This was a trade made at the deadline, not at the draft. Nobody has any idea where our pick would have landed if Baron never left. People are critical because, in a vacuum, it looks like we sent the #1 overall away to get rid of Baron.

The cap space is only one reason Baron's absence is an asset. Baron Davis as a -whole- was dragging this team down; I think a lot of people don't realize how awful the last 3 years of Baron Ball actually were. He couldn't make it work with Dunleavy, and he couldn't make it work with Del Negro. His fascination with his extracurricular activities made him completely untradable, and he will never live up to his contract.

In hindsight, if management could foresee the future and know that pick was #1......... I'm sure you and I both know things would have happened differently.

You know that Sterling didn't even bother to meet James during this alleged courtship? If he really wanted to win why didn't he meet his potential franchise savior like every other owner who was going after James?

Sterling is a loathsome, wretched human being. Sterling's absence, if anything, would have helped meetings. Taking the attention off of our horrible owner and onto Blake was the premise of our presentation and it unfortunately wasn't enough. Who the hell wants to play for Sterling, much less be in his presence?

I have no doubt that he'd have maxed James because James would have made him money but it was never a passion for him because to him the Clippers are just another business. Now, a question:

They're not major signings, but they're signings nonetheless Green. I hate the Gomes contract. Foye's isn't so bad. But who else could the Clippers have pursued that would have made sense? Gay was off the market, so was Joe Johnson. Where was the opportunity to make a major off-season acquisition (and by major I mean $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$) that made sense for the Clippers?

bdreason
12-06-2011, 05:24 PM
I'm not claiming Sterling is a good owner, but he has shown a willingness to spend over the past 5-6 years. Anyone claiming Sterling isn't willing to pay for talent is just going off previous reputation.

After getting burned by Baron and Brand, I was thinking he may go back to being stingy, but Sterling still seems open to paying (or overpaying) for talent.

Clippersfan86
12-06-2011, 05:28 PM
I'm not claiming Sterling is a good owner, but he has shown a willingness to spend over the past 5-6 years. Anyone claiming Sterling isn't willing to pay for talent is just going off previous reputation.

After getting burned by Baron and Brand, I was thinking he may go back to being stingy, but Sterling still seems open to paying (or overpaying) for talent.

:applause: . All I'm saying. Not a good owner, good human being or even historically willing spender but the last decade or so... he's proven he WILL spend.

2LeTTeRS
12-06-2011, 05:31 PM

Agreed. There also forgetting the other stars he's tried to get, but failed not because of cheapness, but instead because the players decided to go elsewhere.

- 2003. Pursued Gilbert Arenas hard. His choice of teams came down to a flip of a coin. Unfortunately for them he ended up signing in Washington instead of LA.
- 2004. Pursued Kobe Bryant. To many they were the favorite to re-sign him and had pitched the idea of playing in Anaheim to have their own city. Instead the Lakers dealt away Shaq, and the next day Kobe re-signed.

bagelred
12-06-2011, 05:33 PM
Nothing produces more overpaid guys than restricted free agency.

It's crazy. Because in order to prevent teams from matching, you have to make a ridiculously high offer. There's nothing to prevent that.

If I'm a team with cap space, I offer Marc Gasol a max contract. Why not? Either you steal a talent away from Memphis or you force Memphis to pay more than they want to. Someone needs to do that....looking at you, Indiana......

2LeTTeRS
12-06-2011, 05:34 PM

You forget that 1/2 the world thought that was a good deal when it was made. Literally the only thing they did wrong was not protect the pick in case it landed at #1.

If they didn't win the lottery nobody would be complaining.

Da KO King
12-06-2011, 05:34 PM
And this is why the lockout was a sham. It was nothing but the owners using media bias, and ignorance of the public to get from under a couple stupid contracts, get some cash for not playing games.... now it is business as usual.

2LeTTeRS
12-06-2011, 05:39 PM
And this is why the lockout was a sham. It was nothing but the owners using media bias, and ignorance of the public to get from under a couple stupid contracts, get some cash for not playing games.... now it is business as usual.

You really don't think reducing BRI from 57% to somewhere between 49 and 51% was a big deal? The owners are going to receive a much larger share of revenue which should eventually make the league profitable again, and teams will no longer be operating with 1/2 of the payroll of the big spenders anymore.

A lot was accomplished.

bagelred
12-06-2011, 05:48 PM
You forget that 1/2 the world thought that was a good deal when it was made. Literally the only thing they did wrong was not protect the pick in case it landed at #1.

If they didn't win the lottery nobody would be complaining.

You are so wrong. Everyone knew it was a bad move giving up a first round pick to get.......Mo Williams? What?

Any smart GM would have (1) realized that there MIGHT be an amnesty provision in the new CBA, making the trade completely unneccesary to get rid of Davis and (2) at the VERY LEAST protect the pick for the Top 3.

I couldn't believe they traded an unprotected pick when they knew they were in the lottery.....just wow.

G-train
12-06-2011, 05:49 PM
Your value is what people will pay for you.
Jordan will be offered more than this IMO and Clippers will match.

I'm not a Deandre fan. I think he is overrated.
But he is basically a a 7 foot athletic guy, that can start at centre and play 30mpg for the duration of that contract - if you have a quality scorer at the 4. He doesn't need the ball and can block shots and rebound. So that suits many teams.

I think his eventual contract will be 47-48m.

Clippersfan86
12-06-2011, 05:52 PM
You are so wrong. Everyone knew it was a bad move giving up a first round pick to get.......Mo Williams? What?

Any smart GM would have (1) realized that there MIGHT be an amnesty provision in the new CBA, making the trade completely unneccesary to get rid of Davis and (2) at the VERY LEAST protect the pick for the Top 3.

I couldn't believe they traded an unprotected pick when they knew they were in the lottery.....just wow.

Clippers tried to protect, Cavs declined. Reality here is... Clippers are two moves from being a SERIOUS contender for the next 5-10 years. No need to get caught up in what could have been. OMG Kobe could have signed with Clippers! OMG imagine if Brand stayed! OMG imagine if Lebron came here! All of this kind of crap is pointless speculation. I'm excited about the direction of the team now.

Caron Butler is in hour two of a second meeting with the Clippers in 16 hours. Imagine just adding a dependable 3rd option like that to replace Gomes?

Mo Williams
Eric Gordon
Caron Butler
Blake Griffin
DeAndre Jordan

Bench: Kaman, Foye, Craig Smith, Eric Bledsoe, Al Farouq Aminu, Travis Leslie, Trey Thompkins, Brian Cook.

This is a very stacked team if healthy.

2LeTTeRS
12-06-2011, 06:01 PM

The trade wasn't to get Mo Williams, it was to get rid of Baron Davis and his toxic contract. I can't believe I have to explain this to a Knicks fan.

Clippersfan86
12-06-2011, 06:02 PM
The trade wasn't to get Mo Williams, it was to get rid of Baron Davis and his toxic contract. I can't believe I have to explain this to a Knicks fan.

:applause:. It was a miracle that we were able to trade him for a player that's not far behind talent wise. It was deemed an unmovable contract not long ago.

G-train
12-06-2011, 06:05 PM

If they had of held, they could have had Derrick Williams and Minny's pick next season.
You would have to REALLY hate Baron to do that trade.
I'd say Sterling might have pushed managements hand, seeing as he was abusing Baron from the sideline.

Clippersfan86
12-06-2011, 06:06 PM
If they had of held, they could have had Derrick Williams and Minny's pick next season.
You would have to REALLY hate Baron to do that trade.
I'd say Sterling might have pushed managements hand, seeing as he was abusing Baron from the sideline.

I'd abuse Baron too if he was always injured due to poor conditioning and never put 100 percent into the team until nearly 2.5 years after he got signed. Sterling deserves props for dissing Baron from the stands. :oldlol:

Real Men Wear Green
12-06-2011, 06:37 PM
I never said he wasn't talented, though. The hype he received pre-and-post draft are a testament to his abilities. My line of thinking is this: we could have drafted Irving and kept Davis' contract while being unable to make any foreseeable moves in the future, or we could lose Baron, lose our draft pick (which we had no way of knowing would be #1) and create cap space to resign Jordan and Gordon while looking for our younger players to develop.If that strategy makes you happy then fine, but teams don't need cap space to keep their own free agents. The move was done to save money.

Who was available at #8 that was worth justifying Davis' contract for the next 2 years? This was a trade made at the deadline, not at the draft. Nobody has any idea where our pick would have landed if Baron never left. People are critical because, in a vacuum, it looks like we sent the #1 overall away to get rid of Baron. We can't be sure it was going to be #8 any more than #1. Regardless either you believe your scouts can find you good talent with a lottery pick or you don't and you fire them and replace them with scouts who can find you players.

The cap space is only one reason Baron's absence is an asset. Baron Davis as a -whole- was dragging this team down; I think a lot of people don't realize how awful the last 3 years of Baron Ball actually were. He couldn't make it work with Dunleavy, and he couldn't make it work with Del Negro. His fascination with his extracurricular activities made him completely untradable, and he will never live up to his contract. I'm not going to argue that Davis was an asset, I heard nothing positive about him as a Clipper. I just don't agree that he was such a cancer that it was worth a lottery pick to get rid of him.

Sterling is a loathsome, wretched human being. Sterling's absence, if anything, would have helped meetings. Taking the attention off of our horrible owner and onto Blake was the premise of our presentation and it unfortunately wasn't enough. Who the hell wants to play for Sterling, much less be in his presence?
This may all be true but do you think this is the reason he wasn't there? "No guys, I don't think I should be there. Why? Well, I'm a piece of shit. Duh."

They're not major signings, but they're signings nonetheless Green. I hate the Gomes contract. Foye's isn't so bad. But who else could the Clippers have pursued that would have made sense? Gay was off the market, so was Joe Johnson. Where was the opportunity to make a major off-season acquisition (and by major I mean $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$) that made sense for the Clippers?
The Heat big 3, STAT (they could have played him alongside Griffin), whoever else. The point is that the Clippers have almost no history of making big FA signings. And this is while having the city of LA to attract young millionaires. You don't stay on the bottom as long as they stayed on the bottom if your owner is spending.

bagelred
12-06-2011, 06:41 PM

They could have got rid of him with the amnesty right now. :lol And they would have had Kyrie Irving AND tons of cap space.......FAIL of epic proportions

Clippersfan86
12-06-2011, 06:42 PM
They could have got rid of him with the amnesty right now. :lol And they would have had Kyrie Irving AND tons of cap space.......FAIL of epic proportions

Yup. It's going to be awesome when the Clippers are hoisting that championship trophy in less than 5 years and you guys are still caught up on the bad decisions the Clippers made in the past. :hammerhead:

bagelred
12-06-2011, 06:45 PM
Yup. It's going to be awesome when the Clippers are hoisting that championship trophy in less than 5 years and you guys are still caught up on the bad decisions the Clippers made in the past. :hammerhead:

Bad decision from the past? It just happened!:oldlol: Look, the trade sucked. I'm not bashing the Clippers. When Isiah when made bad trade after bad trade, I didn't defend him. They were awful trades. What do you have this blind patriotism for your Clippers?

Clippersfan86
12-06-2011, 06:49 PM
Bad decision from the past? It just happened!:oldlol: Look, the trade sucked. I'm not bashing the Clippers. When Isiah when made bad trade after bad trade, I didn't defend him. They were awful trades. What do you have this blind patriotism for your Clippers?

I'm defending the team because it's ridiculous to blast them about something that seemed like a good idea at the time. They didn't have the benefit of hindsight as you do now. Like Fiasco said... I'm sure if the team knew what was going to happen and that amnesty was going to for sure be in new CBA of course they don't do it.

At the time amnesty wasn't even mentioned in the new CBA and nobody in their right mind would of assumed the 2.7 percent chance would give a 1st pick. I don't appreciate people criticizing the franchise as if they knew how it would turn out. Olshey said the very next day that Cleveland refused to take pick with protections and that he did try.

I'll be happy to criticize the teams bad decisions that were clearly bonehead ones... but had this pick remained 8th... or hell even 5th... nobody is talking about this right now.

BTW yes I'd consider nearly a year ago... as being in the past.

hawkfan
12-06-2011, 06:54 PM

Bagelred is right.

It was a terrible trade then, and it is even worse now.

The Clippers could have had Irving-Griffin-Gordon, amnesty Davis, and then add Howard.

That is a Big 4 and about 5 championships. Not to mention Minnesota's first round pick, giving them a Big 5.

Clippersfan86
12-06-2011, 06:58 PM
Bagelred is right.

It was a terrible trade then, and it is even worse now.

The Clippers could have had Irving-Griffin-Gordon, amnesty Davis, and then add Howard.

That is a Big 4 and about 5 championships. Not to mention Minnesota's first round pick, giving them a Big 5.

We'll see in a couple years. You guys are going off worst case scenario for Clippers. If Irving doesn't become nearly as good as you guys think.. or keeps having chronic foot injuries... then what? Looks like Clippers got better end of deal. Instead of jumping the gun now about how stupid the Clippers are.. let's see how it pans out.

If Irving becomes a star.. not a single Clippers fan won't regret the trade. We don't know if that will happen though. People like yourself acting like Irving is a PG of a championship team are going off of hype and not production.

bagelred
12-06-2011, 07:26 PM
We'll see in a couple years. You guys are going off worst case scenario for Clippers. If Irving doesn't become nearly as good as you guys think.. or keeps having chronic foot injuries... then what? Looks like Clippers got better end of deal. Instead of jumping the gun now about how stupid the Clippers are.. let's see how it pans out.

If Irving becomes a star.. not a single Clippers fan won't regret the trade. We don't know if that will happen though. People like yourself acting like Irving is a PG of a championship team are going off of hype and not production.

It doesn't matter if Irving is a superstar or a bust. The trade, in itself, was awful.

Clippersfan86
12-06-2011, 07:28 PM
It doesn't matter if Irving is a superstar or a bust. The trade, in itself, was awful.

Uh that's just stupid logic. If Irving becomes a bust.. and Clippers saved money... why is it an awful trade? Please explain.

Kobr
12-06-2011, 07:34 PM
Uh that's just stupid logic. If Irving becomes a bust.. and Clippers saved money... why is it an awful trade? Please explain.

because they sacrificed an opportunity at a superstar pick. You can't look at the trade in terms of the present or the future.. look at it when the trade was made.

Clippersfan86
12-06-2011, 07:35 PM
because they sacrificed an opportunity at a superstar pick. You can't look at the trade in terms of the present or the future.. look at it when the trade was made.

Talk about a hypocrite. At the time the trade was made it didn't seem like a bad trade. ONLY reason you guys are talking about it is because it became the number one pick :facepalm::banghead: . Again tell me which player in this last draft you feel will be a "superstar" and we can bet on avy as long as you want.

eliteballer
12-06-2011, 07:41 PM

But still.

A 22 year old center who averaged 7 points, 7 boards, 1.5 blocks with size and tons of athleticism isnt worth $10 million a year?

Al Thornton
12-06-2011, 07:51 PM
i know most didn't watch the clippers at all last year which is understandable. but without jordan the clippers wouldn't have competed in any games, and they did end up competing in a lot, and winning a decent amount in the mid season. they can't afford to lose him at all.

eliteballer
12-06-2011, 07:56 PM
He's also close with Blake.

Kevin_Gamble
12-06-2011, 08:02 PM
Talk about a hypocrite. At the time the trade was made it didn't seem like a bad trade. ONLY reason you guys are talking about it is because it became the number one pick :facepalm::banghead: . Again tell me which player in this last draft you feel will be a "superstar" and we can bet on avy as long as you want.

You gave away an unprotected lottery pick. Even if the pick turned out to be the 7th or 8th pick, you are talking about a chance to pick guys like Jimmer, Biyombo, Brook Lopez, or Eric Gordon whom you love so much, then have that player at a deflated salary for 5 years.

Spectacular failures like Ammo are rare; a great majority of lottery picks become starters on an NBA roster. It was a terrible trade then, and now that we know where the pick is, it is an awful, awful trade.

G-train
12-06-2011, 08:23 PM
I'm pretty surprised to see some now supporting Mo/Baron trade.

http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/showthread.php?t=210382

Fiasco
12-06-2011, 08:28 PM
I'm pretty surprised to see some now supporting Mo/Baron trade.

http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/showthread.php?t=210382

http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/showpost.php?p=5537724&postcount=2

http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/showpost.php?p=5537772&postcount=18

:oldlol:

IGOTGAME
12-06-2011, 08:33 PM
A 22 year old center who averaged 7 points, 7 boards, 1.5 blocks with size and tons of athleticism isnt worth $10 million a year?

When that center is DeAndre Jordan. Not even close.

Droid101
12-06-2011, 08:37 PM
You gave away an unprotected lottery pick. Even if the pick turned out to be the 7th or 8th pick, you are talking about a chance to pick guys like Jimmer, Biyombo, Brook Lopez, or Eric Gordon whom you love so much, then have that player at a deflated salary for 5 years.

Spectacular failures like Ammo are rare; a great majority of lottery picks become starters on an NBA roster. It was a terrible trade then, and now that we know where the pick is, it is an awful, awful trade.
It couldn't have been the 7th or 8th pick.

90% chance, it's 12 or worse (I think that's where the Clippers record was).

Extremely small chance it is either 1st (2.8%), 2nd, or 3rd.

That's it.

Jeez, if the Clippers knew there would be a lockout and amnesty provision, they wouldn't have done the trade. It was all about dumping Baron Davis.

God, you people are arguing about nothing. It no longer matters. Clippers' future is looking bright, no matter how you want to slice it.

Clippersfan86
12-06-2011, 08:48 PM
It couldn't have been the 7th or 8th pick.

90% chance, it's 12 or worse (I think that's where the Clippers record was).

Extremely small chance it is either 1st (2.8%), 2nd, or 3rd.

That's it.

Jeez, if the Clippers knew there would be a lockout and amnesty provision, they wouldn't have done the trade. It was all about dumping Baron Davis.

God, you people are arguing about nothing. It no longer matters. Clippers' future is looking bright, no matter how you want to slice it.

Preach :applause: .

niko
12-06-2011, 08:52 PM
To not see there was going to be an amnesty provision is to just not have thought things out even a little. You knew the new CBA would be more restrictive. 100%. Or else why have a lockout. ANd if it's more restrictive, you need some sort of amnesty provision or else the over cap teams are ****ed. No way anyone would sign off on it.

There 100% was always going to be an amnesty provision. To not protect the pick from 1,2 and to not consider their might be some sore of amnesty provision was just short sighted on the clippers part. Lets face facts, they ****ed up. Apparently, its not going to kill their future so its ok. But it was an oversight.

Kblaze8855
12-06-2011, 09:17 PM

You say that as if even one of those things is supposed to impress me. You know how many you no skills having jumping jack foul prone bigmen can get 7/7 and a block? Way too many of them to give one 10 million a season.

When Stromile was 22 he put up 12/6 and 2 blocks. And for 4 months he did 15/7, 12/7, 14/8, and 15/9. and he could score a little bit. And make a jumper. And not shoot 45% from the Ft line. While being more athletic than Jordan. Tyrus Thoams put up 11/6 with 2 blocks and a steal while being a monster of an athlete eventually hitting jumpers and shooting well from the FT line. And he was 22 at the time. Etan Thomas put up 9/7 and 2 blocks in 24 minutes a game. Kwame was doing 7/7 on the Lakers and 11/7 on the Wizards with people calling him one of the games best athletes ever at his size. Ibaka is 21 doing 10/8 and over 2 blocks a game.

So no. Not terribly impressed nor do I think its wise to spend 70% of a young players max contract to secure it.

I understand there are other issues(Hes a friend of Blake and all). But for the player?

How many players on his level who get these deals become "Nobody wants that contract" guys?

All of them?

How many "One day he might be a solid starter" bigmen to get 40-50 million arent clearly overpaid by the end of the deal?

chips93
12-06-2011, 09:20 PM
a few things:

any talk of irving having chronic foot problems is bs. he hurt his toe once, was injured for about two months, didnt want to rush back and re-injure it, and hurt his draft atock.

he is now 100% healthy and hopes to win the starting pg spot at training camp.

on the amnesty, davis' salary wont count toward the cap or luxury tax, but when he resigns somewhere else, the cavs have to pay the difference in his salary.

say he was earning 15M a year, gets amnestied, signs somewhere els for 3M a yea, then the cavs have to pay 12 M of his salary. so we get cap space, but we still have to pay a big salary.

so those saying the clipps were dumb for trading him away when the could have amnestied him dont understand the amnesty properly. the clipps save a lot of money by trading him rathe than having to pay amnesty him

so from that point of view, sterling traded away a lottery pick to save some money, to almos no benefit to his team. while gilbert who gets all kinds of shit for writing a letter, agreed to pay diddys salary for a projected 8th pick.

also, criticising th trade after the fact is easy, the clipps got unlucky, it wasnt that bad at the time.

2LeTTeRS
12-06-2011, 09:28 PM
To not see there was going to be an amnesty provision is to just not have thought things out even a little. You knew the new CBA would be more restrictive. 100%. Or else why have a lockout. ANd if it's more restrictive, you need some sort of amnesty provision or else the over cap teams are ****ed. No way anyone would sign off on it.

There 100% was always going to be an amnesty provision. To not protect the pick from 1,2 and to not consider their might be some sore of amnesty provision was just short sighted on the clippers part. Lets face facts, they ****ed up. Apparently, its not going to kill their future so its ok. But it was an oversight.

Even if Sterling knew there would be an amnesty provsion do you really think he would pay a player $38 mil to NOT play for him? I know I wouldn't do it.

Kevin_Gamble
12-06-2011, 09:42 PM
a few things:

any talk of irving having chronic foot problems is bs. he hurt his toe once, was injured for about two months, didnt want to rush back and re-injure it, and hurt his draft atock.

he is now 100% healthy and hopes to win the starting pg spot at training camp.

on the amnesty, davis' salary wont count toward the cap or luxury tax, but when he resigns somewhere else, the cavs have to pay the difference in his salary.

say he was earning 15M a year, gets amnestied, signs somewhere els for 3M a yea, then the cavs have to pay 12 M of his salary. so we get cap space, but we still have to pay a big salary.

so those saying the clipps were dumb for trading him away when the could have amnestied him dont understand the amnesty properly. the clipps save a lot of money by trading him rathe than having to pay amnesty him

so from that point of view, sterling traded away a lottery pick to save some money, to almos no benefit to his team. while gilbert who gets all kinds of shit for writing a letter, agreed to pay diddys salary for a projected 8th pick.

also, criticising th trade after the fact is easy, the clipps got unlucky, it wasnt that bad at the time.

It's easy to criticize that trade now, and it was easy then. They dumped Baron Davis's salary, but they had to take on Mo Williams and Jamario Moon, who together made just a shade below Baron's salary. Yes, Moon came off at the end of last season, but they still owe Mo Williams $8 mil. for the next two seasons, and for that privilege, they gave away a lottery pick.

veilside23
12-06-2011, 09:49 PM
I think 8/m per year is just right for now for DJ. Kaman is on the trading block for sure... I wont mind DJ getting that amount because basically someone will pay him higher if okafor got paid am not saying DJ will be better or will turn out as a better player that okafor . I think DJ deserves it... Kid is still learning you cant teach size with athleticism like this guy has right now. The ceiling of this kid is higher than most centers in the game right now alongside Mcgee...

qrich
12-06-2011, 09:51 PM
Good start, of course, like I'm sure it was already mentioned, other sides will offer more, but if not, I believe that this would be a bargaining considering what guys like Kaman, Dalembert, Okafor, Bynum, Biedrins, etc. have been paid plus guys like Dampier and the such before those.

DeAndre is still young, but can be a premier defender in the league, and if he can go the Deke/Ratliff route, that would be perfect next to Blake.

G-train
12-06-2011, 10:04 PM
DeAndre had a couple of monster games last season from memory that were worth about $10m each.

Clippersfan86
12-06-2011, 10:06 PM
DeAndre had a couple of monster games last season from memory that were worth about $10m each.

20 rebounds, 14 points, 6 blocks vs Denver.