PDA

View Full Version : Spurs to make Richard Jefferson the first-ever NBA amnesty clause victim!

mountainmamba
12-07-2011, 02:37 PM
WojYahooNBA Adrian Wojnarowski
The Spurs have decided to use the amnesty clause on contract of Richard Jefferson, league sources tell Y! Sports. He has 3 years, $30M left.

RJ is still a serviceable player. Expect him to be picked up.

hawkfan
12-07-2011, 02:40 PM
He's not worth a bid, since the team bidding for him has to commit paying for 3 years. So if a team bids 3 million, that's a 3 year contract for 9 million.

Is Jefferson worth this? No, he's not.

gasolina
12-07-2011, 02:42 PM
Has he fallen off that much? I remember there was much talk leading towards the playoffs on how he fits the Spurs new running game and also helps w/ his improved range.

Of course... not counting his contract.

MeLO MvP 15
12-07-2011, 02:43 PM
I'm actually surprised. Not because I didn't think Jefferson didn't deserve to be amnestied (because IMO he was one of the easier decisions), but it just didn't seem like a San Antonio-type move. Especially considering their owner was one of the biggest pushers to limit spending. He'll get picked up really fast and if he somehow makes it through the waivers of teams cap space, I could see a New Jersey return (through the waiver process) or possibly him going to Dallas (if he becomes a FA) (and payback for Finley lol).

It also looks like SA offered Butler the MLE (along with Chicago according to BRoussard, with LAC and NJ offering more).

SA also just picked up a potentially really good rookie SF in Leonard, so maybe they got a lot of faith in him.

Clippersfan86
12-07-2011, 02:44 PM
I'm actually surprised. Not because I didn't think Jefferson didn't deserve to be amnestied (because IMO he was one of the easier decisions), but it just didn't seem like a San Antonio-type move. Especially considering their owner was one of the biggest pushers to limit spending. He'll get picked up really fast and if he somehow makes it through the waivers of teams cap space, I could see a New Jersey return (through the waiver process) or possibly him going to Dallas (if he becomes a FA) (and payback for Finley lol).

It also looks like SA offered Butler the MLE (along with Chicago according to BRoussard, with LAC and NJ offering more).

Oh wow. Offers already in? Where can I read article about Caron Butler offers?

DuMa
12-07-2011, 02:45 PM
can lakers pick this dude up already so luke walton can finally be happy?

MeLO MvP 15
Oh wow. Offers already in? Where can I read article about Caron Butler offers?
Broussard tweeted it like this hour.

HylianNightmare
so if a team picks up an amnestied player they have to commit to pay them for the remainder of thier contract but for a different price?
while the player is still being payed the original amount from the original team?

niko
I think the Clips should get him for cheap $2M a year for 3 years. Fill out the roster with quality. Aren't the heat under the cap? They should try too.

Grinder
12-07-2011, 02:46 PM
Good move, RJ hasn't been great with the Spurs. They offered Caron Butler the MLE and they've got two talented youngsters in Kawhi Leonard and James Anderson in tow.

Droid101
He's not worth a bid, since the team bidding for him has to commit paying for 3 years. So if a team bids 3 million, that's a 3 year contract for 9 million.

Is Jefferson worth this? No, he's not.
That's not how it works.

AMISTILLILL
Kings should take a look at him. Outside of Salmons and Dalembert, they have no real veteran presence. They've got the flexibility to absorb his contract.

Droid101
12-07-2011, 02:47 PM
so if a team picks up an amnestied player they have to commit to pay them for the remainder of thier contract but for a different price?
while the player is still being payed the original amount from the original team?
The original team pays the difference between the original contract and whatever the new team picks up.

The player does not make any more money doing this.

Clippersfan86
12-07-2011, 02:48 PM
Broussard tweeted it like this hour.

Found and put in Caron Butler thread. Thanks dude :cheers: .

Yung D-Will
12-07-2011, 02:48 PM
Wow if they get Butler they could actually have the big 4 they were looking for with RJ

Rnbizzle
12-07-2011, 02:51 PM
Isn't RJ a decent fit for the Clippers too? I mean Caron Butler is probable better, but if they can't him, what about Jefferson?

mountainmamba
12-07-2011, 02:54 PM
WojYahooNBA Adrian Wojnarowski
Spurs are aggressively in the market for a starting small forward, and amnesty allows them to use full mid-level exception of $5M per year.

Too bad this FA class is pretty weak

Yung D-Will
12-07-2011, 02:54 PM
Caron Butler would be the best bet.

Big 4. =l

hawkfan
12-07-2011, 02:55 PM

Maybe, but if healthy Caron Butler is a large step above Richard Jefferson.

Yung D-Will
12-07-2011, 02:57 PM
Maybe, but if healthy Caron Butler is a large step above Richard Jefferson.
Don't know if I'm wrong but I remember the season RJ signed with the spurs they were also looking into trading for Caron but they didn't wanna take on his big contract.

HylianNightmare
12-07-2011, 02:58 PM
And in the part it talks about amnesty, it doesn't say anything about per-year payments.

It's still being worked out.
if this is how it works then lets amnesty the shit outta arenas:facepalm

Wonder Bread Kid
12-07-2011, 02:59 PM
This pretty much means they got either Butler or Howard to agree to a contract.

No way do the Spurs amnesty Jefferson with no firm commitment from one of the SF they brought to town yesterday.

Yung D-Will
12-07-2011, 03:04 PM
Caron gives them a much better chance to make a run than Howard imo

Rowe
12-07-2011, 03:08 PM
So everybody knows which teams can put in bids.

Salary Cap space without Cap Holds & Rookie Contracts:

1. Nuggets - $29 Million
2. Kings - $28 Million
3. Pacers - $22 Million
4. Nets - $21 Million
5. Wizards - $18 Million
6. Hornets - $16 Million
7. Clippers - $13 Million
8. Raptors - $12 Million
9. Charlotte - $11 Million
10. Rockets - $11 Million
11. T'Wolves - $10 Million
12. Warriors - $9 Million
13. Thunder - $9 Million
14. Suns - $8 Million
14. Bucks - $7 Million
15. 76ers - $5 Million
16. Grizzlies - $4 Million
17. Cavaliers - $3 Million
18. Jazz - $3 Million

RJ would be a good fit on the Rockets.

The Macho Man
12-07-2011, 03:14 PM
can lakers pick this dude up already so luke walton can finally be happy?
:oldlol:

mountainmamba
12-07-2011, 03:16 PM
Nuggets need players badly..like real bad.

pegasus
12-07-2011, 03:16 PM
If Hill is really leaving, Phoenix should try to get RJ. He may make a comeback playing with a pass-first PG again.

Haymaker
12-07-2011, 03:21 PM
Dallas should pick him up. he played great alongside Kidd.

bagelred
12-07-2011, 03:26 PM
This is shocking. I'm serious. Why? Doesn't get them cap space. Doesn't save them much money....I'm floored. Richard Jefferson isn't THAT bad, c'mon.

Why not wait a year?

Wonder Bread Kid
12-07-2011, 03:30 PM
This is shocking. I'm serious. Why? Doesn't get them cap space. Doesn't save them much money....I'm floored. Richard Jefferson isn't THAT bad, c'mon.

Why not wait a year?

He does give them cap space. Enough to use the full MLE, which is what they wanted and which is what they've done more than likely because there's no way they'd amnesty RJ without a replacement having committed.

Haymaker
12-07-2011, 03:30 PM

Why not wait a year?

They WAITED a year. He's just not a Popovich player. Even Grant Hill is an upgrade over him.

bagelred
12-07-2011, 03:33 PM
They WAITED a year. He's just not a Popovich player. Even Grant Hill is an upgrade over him.

I know but you want to pay him $30 MILLION just to go away? It's not like he has a bad attitude or is continually injured.....ok he's disappointing, so is half the league! Trade him to the Magic for Turkoglu or something......

Watch for the Detroit Pistons and his old coach Lawrence Frank to make an offer.

D-Rose
12-07-2011, 03:33 PM
He'll be a nice addition to a contender for around $3 mill or so a year. Lakers could use him. So could a team like Dallas or Boston. Not sure what the Spurs were thinking...besides the MLE I suppose.

Wonder Bread Kid
12-07-2011, 03:35 PM
Not sure what the Spurs were thinking...besides the MLE I suppose.

If you watched the Spurs in the second half of the season last year and in the playoffs, you'll know what the Spurs were thinking.

Richard Jefferson sucks.

AMISTILLILL
12-07-2011, 03:36 PM
Seriously stunned by how many people STILL don't realize amnestied players ending up on contenders is essentially impossible.

mountainmamba
12-07-2011, 03:39 PM
Seriously stunned by how many people STILL don't realize amnestied players ending up on contenders is essentially impossible.

haha funny and also true

bagelred
12-07-2011, 03:39 PM

Yup. The secondary waiver rule is absolutely ridiculous....discussion for another thread.

Rowe
12-07-2011, 03:46 PM
I know but you want to pay him $30 MILLION just to go away? It's not like he has a bad attitude or is continually injured.....ok he's disappointing, so is half the league! Trade him to the Magic for Turkoglu or something......
It depends on what team decides to cover of his salary.

I could see a team covering $5 Million for RJ yearly which is about what he is worth, and that would only cost San Antonio $15 Million for making the move.

IMO, its a slap in the face to RJ who opted out of his deal to save money for San Antonio. People forget that "weird" decision he made last year to opt out and take a smaller deal from San Antonio.

Yet now that smaller deal is "too much" and they want to amnesty him.

Watch for the Detroit Pistons and his old coach Lawrence Frank to make an offer.
Frank & RJ clashed in New Jersey. Remember?

NoGunzJustSkillz
12-07-2011, 03:56 PM
Yup. The secondary waiver rule is absolutely ridiculous....discussion for another thread.
:roll:

SCdac
12-07-2011, 04:03 PM
As a Spurs fan and SA resident, I'm glad this is happening. I gave him as much benefit of the doubt as anybody, he did show some improvement, but simply put, RJ was a waste. A waste of time, money, and effort. It's one thing to say a player has the talent and skill (and Jefferson does), but if his head isn't in the game none of that matters. Too often Jefferson would fade in the second halves a games, his intensity and competitiveness is questionable. He's better suited for a team that's not quite a contender, or on team where less is asked of him. $30 Million dollars over the next three seasons, especially when you consider Duncan may be out of the picture, is alot of money (do you really want to give that money to a questionable player who's on the backside of his career?). It's one thing if you're stuck with that contract, but if you can let him go? why not? He's hurting the Spurs (with the illusion of being a sturdy, dependable SF) more than he's helping/has helped.

HylianNightmare
12-07-2011, 04:03 PM
The original team pays the difference between the original contract and whatever the new team picks up.

The player does not make any more money doing this.
:cheers:

hawkfan
12-07-2011, 05:33 PM

Why not wait a year?

It saves San Antonio from hitting the luxury tax by signing Caron Butler. So financially it is worth it this year.

G-train
12-07-2011, 05:57 PM
Is this official?
Seems surprising. Butler is a mild upgrade over Jefferson IF he has recovered well, which no one knows.
That's alot of money to spend when one guy is doing an average job for you already, just to sign someone to do a slightly above average job for you, and he just had a major injury.
Might be more to this.

MooseJuiceBowen
12-07-2011, 08:04 PM
It saves San Antonio from hitting the luxury tax by signing Caron Butler. So financially it is worth it this year.

this right here. most spurs fans will be glad to have him gone

JustinJDW
12-07-2011, 08:35 PM
Signing Butler, Howard or Battier will be great, but we still gotta upgrade at the bigs.

swi7ch
12-07-2011, 08:38 PM
could use a spot on the heat if he's interested in multiple championships...

Dbrog
12-07-2011, 08:56 PM
Good. I don't understand what happened to RJ. He turned into such an awful scrub after Spurs got him from the Bucks. I guess too many injuries :confusedshrug:

MooseJuiceBowen
12-07-2011, 11:30 PM
Good. I don't understand what happened to RJ. He turned into such an awful scrub after Spurs got him from the Bucks. I guess too many injuries :confusedshrug:

no he just didnt fit into pops system very well and ill bet he still has alot left in the tank. I could see him flourish on a team like the heat

TMT
12-08-2011, 12:21 AM
no he just didnt fit into pops system very well and ill bet he still has alot left in the tank. I could see him flourish on a team like the heat

I'm just relieved he's gone, as most fans probably are. This solves so many problems and is going to allow such a solid free agency. TJ Ford reportedly on the way already. :cheers: