PDA

View Full Version : Will Kobe demand a trade if the Lakers fail to get anyone?

ConanRulesNBC
12-11-2011, 03:46 AM
He just seems like he's not going to just wait around and hope that next season and the season after that the Lakers might become contenders again. He's got a couple more seasons of playing at a true all-star level and will not want to be a part of a rebuilding process.

DuMa
12-11-2011, 03:48 AM
no one wants his bloated contract

alanLA92
12-11-2011, 03:51 AM
Nope. No way Kobe is traded and doesn't retire as a Laker.

32Dayz
12-11-2011, 03:51 AM
I wouldn't put it past him.

He twice threatened to leave LA (04, 07) when they didn't do exactly what he wanted or get pieces around him that he deemed
(good enough).

I dont see LA failing to get a big FA but if they dont I wouldn't be surprised if Kobe demands a trade.

He has never shown any loyalty to LA or its Fans before so why would he start now?

AMISTILLILL
12-11-2011, 03:52 AM
He has a no trade clause.

ConanRulesNBC
12-11-2011, 03:52 AM
Nope. No way Kobe is traded and doesn't retire as a Laker.

Really? I just can't see Kobe staying if the Lakers decide to go through another rebuilding process right now. It's not like the one after Shaq where Kobe was still in his prime and won 2 championships. He's not going to waste the last couple remaining good seasons on a team that isn't going to contend.

32Dayz
12-11-2011, 03:53 AM
He has a no trade clause.

Well duh.

But he himself can demand/ask for a trade.

He is in control of that "clause".

It only prevents LA trading him if he doesn't want out.

32Dayz
12-11-2011, 03:54 AM
Really? I just can't see Kobe staying if the Lakers decide to go through another rebuilding process right now. It's not like the one after Shaq where Kobe was still in his prime and won 2 championships. He's not going to waste the last couple remaining good seasons on a team that isn't going to contend.

I feel the same way "however" its way to early to count LA out.

If the 2012 playoffs start and they still haven't added a FA or do something big then we'll see what happens.

Jimmy2k8
12-11-2011, 03:55 AM
I don't think it's going to matter honestly. In 3 years, he's going to be 35 years old and by that time, he'll be in his what, 17th-18th season? There's not much he can do to improve his legacy, since a 6th ring seems out of reach. But because it's Kobe, he'll most likely demand a trade to a team that is willing to compete for the championship. Only question is, what team would be willing to take on his contract?

alanLA92
12-11-2011, 03:56 AM

But who would take his contract then? If this bizarre situation happens? :confusedshrug:

no one wants his bloated contract

Pretty much this.

D-Wade316
He'll most likely retire before being in a rebuilding team.

DirtySanchez
This is a bullish,t hate thread...moving on

R.I.P.
12-11-2011, 03:59 AM
S&T for JJ Barea. :lol

Jimmy2k8
12-11-2011, 04:00 AM

How is this hate thread? It's Kobe, and it's not like he hasn't demanded a trade before.

Kobe is not going to stay on a team that's not going to contend.

On a side note, but do people remember when Kobe demanded a trade BECAUSE THE LAKERS WERE GOING TO REBUILD? I certainly do.

LakersReign
12-11-2011, 04:00 AM

I agree. :applause:

DirtySanchez
12-11-2011, 04:06 AM
How is this hate thread? It's Kobe, and it's not like he hasn't demanded a trade before.

Kobe is not going to stay on a team that's not going to contend.

On a side note, but do people remember when Kobe demanded a trade BECAUSE THE LAKERS WERE GOING TO REBUILD? I certainly do.
It is a bs agenda knock on Kobe thread.

ConanRulesNBC
12-11-2011, 04:17 AM
What? This is nothing against Kobe as a player. I like Kobe. But be real if the Lakers choose to rebuild right now Kobe is not just going to stay.

LakersReign
12-11-2011, 04:20 AM
You don't have to be a Laker fan to find out that Kobe has a no trade clause in his contract. So the question is moot, to begin with. Feeling this need to post a thread about it anyway, based ONLY on the fact that he asked for a trade in the past, just wreaks of Kobe hate.

32Dayz
12-11-2011, 04:22 AM
You don't have to be a Laker fan to find out that Kobe has a no trade clause in his contract. So the question is moot, to begin with. Feeling this need to post a thread about it anyway, based ONLY on the fact that he asked for a trade in the past, just wreaks of Kobe hate.

You might be right but he does make some strong points.

Kobe has repeatably asked for trades out of LA when things weren't being done to his liking or when they didn't have enough talent around him to contend.

He only has at best 2-3 good years left.

If LA truly failed to improve the team this year and in actuality got worse by losing Odom I could easily see Kobe wanting out.

alanLA92
12-11-2011, 04:23 AM

Kobe has repeatably asked for trades out of LA when things weren't being done to his liking or when they didn't have enough talent around him to contend.

If LA truly failed to improve the team this year and in actuality got worse by losing Odom I could easily see Kobe wanting out.

This site would have a field day if Kobe ever got traded. Maybe more so than when Lebron made "The Decision".

Allstar24
12-11-2011, 04:24 AM
He just seems like he's not going to just wait around and hope that next season and the season after that the Lakers might become contenders again. He's got a couple more seasons of playing at a true all-star level and will not want to be a part of a rebuilding process.
Are you kidding me? Kobe is the one who didn't want any big trades. The most important thing he said in his exit interview was to "keep this team together." He said this team should be allowed one more chance to go for a championship because he was injured last year. I think he feels he doesn't need a super team to win championships. That's why he gave such a cryptic answer about this whole situation yesterday. He's probably fine with what happened (except losing Lamar). Demand a trade? LMAO.

BGriffin's Dad
12-11-2011, 04:26 AM

Doesn't the no-trade clause just mean that the team can't trade him without his consent? If he wanted a trade I think it would happen.

but yeah, as long as the Lakers don't give up Gasol & Bynum for peanuts too, I don't really see him leaving unless it's in retirement

32Dayz
12-11-2011, 04:27 AM
Losing Lamar seems like a big deal to me if they dont add anything significant before the playoffs. (not saying they wont)

If they dont add anything they would need Bynum to play at a level he has never consistently played at before and Gasol to return to his 09,10 form.

If they happens they might still be able to contend but that's alot of if's and maybe's.

LakersReign
12-11-2011, 04:27 AM

The question itself is moot based on his massive contract. Say what you want but I really don't see anyway around an $83.55 million dollar contract with a no trade clause. :eek:

32Dayz
12-11-2011, 04:30 AM
The question itself is moot based on his massive contract. Say what you want but I really don't see anyway around an $83.55 million dollar contract with a no trade clause. :eek:

Good point there although you can consider he "might" be willing to restructure his contract if it meant getting what he desires (more rings) he has made enough money at this point where it wouldn't really effect him much.

LakersReign
12-11-2011, 04:30 AM
Doesn't the no-trade clause just mean that the team can't trade him without his consent? If he wanted a trade I think it would happen.

but yeah, as long as the Lakers don't give up Gasol & Bynum for peanuts too, I don't really see him leaving unless it's in retirement

His contract has a trade kicker in there that he'd have to use before the 2012-13 season. He'd have to ask for a trade now and I don't see that happening so again I say the question is moot.

LakersReign
12-11-2011, 04:36 AM
Good point there although you can consider he "might" be willing to restructure his contract if it meant getting what he desires (more rings) he has made enough money at this point where it wouldn't really effect him much.

That may be true, but the question then would be exactly how much of a pay cut?

HurricaneKid
12-11-2011, 05:12 AM
Christ. 3 hours ago this site was talking about adding CP3 and D12 to LA and Kobe getting to 9 ships. A few Tweets and re-Tweets and now Kobe is demanding a trade? I just hope by the time I wake up LA hasn't amnestied him.

Deep breaths guys. The Lakers are gonna be FINE.

greymatter
12-11-2011, 05:15 AM
No team outside of the Lakers is willing to take on his 25 million dollar salary.

Lebron23
12-11-2011, 05:26 AM
No team outside of the Lakers is willing to take on his 25 million dollar salary.

This

IGOTGAME
12-11-2011, 05:45 AM

If said team cared about making money they would.

HurricaneKid
12-11-2011, 05:57 AM
Criminy. I am a noted Kobe Basher but even I acknowledge he would be a welcome additional to most of the league even with his immense salary. The problem would be to work out a trade and keep the receiving team on track to win a title.

But it doesn't matter because none of this is even close to happening.

alenleomessi
12-11-2011, 05:57 AM
no one wants him, maybe he should go and become goat in euroleague

greymatter
12-11-2011, 06:03 AM
If said team cared about making money they would.

Hardly.

Kobe's brand is tied to LA. Trading him away at this point in his career wouldn't suddenly make the other team a big draw.

Vienceslav
12-11-2011, 06:08 AM
He is NOT getting traded he will soon retire than leave LA.

Derka
12-11-2011, 06:09 AM
Yeah, not thinking this happens at all.

greymatter
12-11-2011, 06:17 AM
Criminy. I am a noted Kobe Basher but even I acknowledge he would be a welcome additional to most of the league even with his immense salary. The problem would be to work out a trade and keep the receiving team on track to win a title.

Any team that absorbs his salary in a deal that is actually able to exchange a reasonably close level of talent would almost certainly be trading someone younger and cheaper while at the same time probably guaranteeing that they're never going to compete for a title until after Kobe retires.

The only way Kobe's salary would be "welcome" to any team is if they were to give up trash *coughArenascough*

NumberSix
12-11-2011, 07:14 AM
Kobe almost certainly retires a Laker.

ConanRulesNBC
12-11-2011, 02:13 PM
Yeah, Kobe has a no-trade clause. I get that. But that only works if the Lakers try and trade Kobe and he doesn't want to be traded. Kobe himself can go and demand a trade.

I'm not saying this is going to happen. I have no "agenda" here. I'm not anti-Kobe. But I finally see how paranoid Kobe/Laker fans are. You post one "what if" thread that doesn't sound good to Laker fans and all of a sudden you have some secret hidden agenda? :oldlol:

But really, think about it. Do you honestly believe that if the Lakers actually get worse and go in a rebuilding era right now while Kobe only has a good 2-3 seasons left that he'll want to stay with the Lakers? He wants to win, so going through a rebuilding process or retiring at this stage of his career is just ridiculous.

LA_Showtime
12-11-2011, 02:20 PM
Yeah, Kobe has a no-trade clause. I get that. But that only works if the Lakers try and trade Kobe and he doesn't want to be traded. Kobe himself can go and demand a trade.

I'm not saying this is going to happen. I have no "agenda" here. I'm not anti-Kobe. But I finally see how paranoid Kobe/Laker fans are. You post one "what if" thread that doesn't sound good to Laker fans and all of a sudden you have some secret hidden agenda? :oldlol:

But really, think about it. Do you honestly believe that if the Lakers actually get worse and go in a rebuilding era right now while Kobe only has a good 2-3 seasons left that he'll want to stay with the Lakers? He wants to win, so going through a rebuilding process or retiring at this stage of his career is just ridiculous.

I don't see Kobe demanding a trade, but he will throw a fit.

I have to believe the Lakers have something up their sleeves. Giving away Odom to the defending champs for chump change just doesn't make any sense.

Doranku
12-11-2011, 02:23 PM
Kobe went from possibly having his career extended by playing with CP3 to probably retiring in the near future to avoid being on a rebuilding team...

:(

miles berg
12-11-2011, 02:27 PM
Hardly.

Kobe's brand is tied to LA. Trading him away at this point in his career wouldn't suddenly make the other team a big draw.

That is the most retarded statement vie read all day.

This is Kobe fn Bryant, the biggest star since Jordan.

He instantly sells every season ticket to any place that gets him and moves millions of jerseys.

Guarantee you that Mark Cuban would take his "bloated contract" lol.

pauk
12-11-2011, 02:27 PM
why should he? its not like he can ever win anything again unless he rides out the likes of CP3 or Dwight and so on.... he is old.. he aint even close to being the best player in the NBA anymore... he will be just chilling and chucking for some more points before he retires....

macpierce
12-11-2011, 02:29 PM
That is the most retarded statement vie read all day.

This is Kobe fn Bryant, the biggest star since Jordan.

He instantly sells every season ticket to any place that gets him and moves millions of jerseys.

This is true :hammerhead:

swi7ch
12-11-2011, 02:32 PM
Hopefully.

macpierce
12-11-2011, 02:35 PM
Hopefully.
miami had no issues taking lebron though :oldlol:

:hammerhead:

MaxFly
12-11-2011, 02:35 PM
What? This is nothing against Kobe as a player. I like Kobe. But be real if the Lakers choose to rebuild right now Kobe is not just going to stay.

Are the Lakers in rebuilding mode right now or is there any indication that they are shifting into rebuilding mode? Every move that has been rumored post lockout seems to have been geared to competing now and for the foreseeable future.

Let's also recall that he asked for a trade in 2007 after the Lakers had promised him in 2004 that they would build a team around him that would contend. For those first three years, it was evident that their goal was not really to contend, but to stand pat while the organization pulled in pretty impressive revenues due to his star power, in spite of the product they were putting on the floor.

I don't see how he could ask for a trade after they went to the finals 3 straight times, won two championships, and are still a contender at this point.

LA_Showtime
12-11-2011, 02:37 PM
Does anyone know the Lakers salary cap situation? If they flip Gasol and Bynum for Dwight Howard does that give them any cap space for next season? Hell, they could even amnesty Artest after this year to clear more money off the books.

LA_Showtime
12-11-2011, 02:49 PM
http://www.nba.com/lakers/news/111210practicereport.html

I thought this might interest Laker fans. Bynum looks good. He's noticeably thinner and you can tell he's running more freely.

Watch when Kobe falls. Everyone just stops.

guy
12-11-2011, 03:54 PM

I'm a Bulls fan, and if I didn't hate the guy and didn't like certain players on my team alot, I would easily trade for him. I think the Bulls would jump all over something like Noah+Deng for Kobe. Even at Kobe's age, the only untouchable player on the Bulls would be Rose in a trade for him.

guy
12-11-2011, 03:59 PM
Are the Lakers in rebuilding mode right now or is there any indication that they are shifting into rebuilding mode? Every move that has been rumored post lockout seems to have been geared to competing now and for the foreseeable future.

Let's also recall that he asked for a trade in 2007 after the Lakers had promised him in 2004 that they would build a team around him that would contend. For those first three years, it was evident that their goal was not really to contend, but to stand pat while the organization pulled in pretty impressive revenues due to his star power, in spite of the product they were putting on the floor.

I don't see how he could ask for a trade after they went to the finals 3 straight times, won two championships, and are still a contender at this point.

They'll definitely contend this year and next unless Kobe severely declines. At the very least, they'll have Gasol and Bynum next year if a trade bringing in a superstar isn't made by then. After that, I could see him asking for a trade if they are say where the Spurs are now. Not in the asshole kind of way he did before, but it would be something along the lines of that he's old and doesn't have much of a window left and he'd like to still compete at the highest level. I think Kobe will keep playing to try to surpass Jordan, Magic, and Kareem in titles and try to go for the scoring record as long as his health permits it.

brownmamba00
12-11-2011, 04:01 PM
http://www.nba.com/lakers/news/111210practicereport.html

I thought this might interest Laker fans. Bynum looks good. He's noticeably thinner and you can tell he's running more freely.

Watch when Kobe falls. Everyone just stops.
God I hope he doesn't get injured this year.

NoGunzJustSkillz
12-11-2011, 04:10 PM
so they're rebuilding because they traded 1 player? it was a bad move, i agree....but come on.