PDA

View Full Version : Lakers vs Clippers Matchup

LemonMan
12-11-2011, 04:28 AM
As someone who lives in los angeles, it's always interesting when the LA "rivalry" comes up (throughout the years it hasn't been one cause clippers haven't been good, but finally looks like the clippers actually have a good squad) and i'm wondering how the matchups are going to be because of the recent changes to roster, and i'm curious what people think about a few issues

No more odom, Blake vs ?
Gordon vs Kobe
Butler vs Artest
DJ vs Bynum

Bench vs Bench

This is assuming rosters are as stated. No changes yet so we won't talk about them until they happen

Fiasco
12-11-2011, 04:32 AM
Let's assume everybody gets everybody they're trying to trade for/pick up. It'd be

Chris Paul vs. Chauncy Billups
Eric Gordon vs. Kobe Bryant
Caron Butler vs. Ron Artest
Blake Griffin vs. Pau Gasol
Deandre Jordan vs. Dwight Howard

I would like to be the first to say

http://aloader.com/files/39/jizz%20in%20my%20pants.jpg

Clippersfan86
12-11-2011, 04:32 AM
As someone who lives in los angeles, it's always interesting when the LA "rivalry" comes up (throughout the years it hasn't been one cause clippers haven't been good, but finally looks like the clippers actually have a good squad) and i'm wondering how the matchups are going to be because of the recent changes to roster, and i'm curious what people think about a few issues

No more odom, Blake vs ?
Gordon vs Kobe
Butler vs Artest
DJ vs Bynum

Bench vs Bench

This is assuming rosters are as stated. No changes yet so we won't talk about them until they happen

If healthy no question Clippers squad is a better team even with Odom on Lakers.

Mo Williams>Fisher
Eric Gordon<Kobe
Caron Butler>Ron Artest
Blake Griffin>Pau Gasol
DeAndre Jordan<Andrew Bynum

Clippers also have more capable bench players with Kaman, Foye, Bledsoe, Aminu. Kaman and Foye would start on some teams.

That being said Lakers squad is going to get more wins. More experience, more on court chemistry, higher IQ team, more consistency.

In terms of raw talent though both teams healthy no question Clippers have more formidable team.

Clippers take 3 out of 5 positions in starting 5+ the stronger bench.

LemonMan
12-11-2011, 04:37 AM
Let's assume everybody gets everybody they're trying to trade for/pick up. It'd be

Chris Paul vs. Chauncy Billups
Eric Gordon vs. Kobe Bryant
Caron Butler vs. Ron Artest
Blake Griffin vs. Pau Gasol
Deandre Jordan vs. Dwight Howard

I would like to be the first to say

http://aloader.com/files/39/jizz%20in%20my%20pants.jpg
Imaaaaaaaaaaaaagine
that would be too sick

LemonMan
12-11-2011, 04:39 AM
If healthy no question Clippers squad is a better team even with Odom on Lakers.

Mo Williams>Fisher
Eric Gordon<Kobe
Caron Butler>Ron Artest
Blake Griffin>Pau Gasol

Clippers also have more capable bench players with Kaman, Foye, Bledsoe, Aminu. Kaman and Foye would start on some teams.

That being said Lakers squad is going to get more wins. More experience, more on court chemistry, higher IQ team, more consistency.

In terms of raw talent though both teams healthy no question Clippers have more formidable team.

Feels so good to finally be able to say that
8 more days till we see it in action :cheers:

SAKOTXA
12-11-2011, 05:26 AM

Mo Williams>Fisher
Eric Gordon<Kobe
Caron Butler>Ron Artest
Blake Griffin>Pau Gasol

LOOOL

Richesly
12-11-2011, 05:28 AM
LOOOL

Man, Blake ain't better than Pau yet.

RazorBaLade
12-11-2011, 06:34 AM

Mo Williams>Fisher
Eric Gordon<Kobe
Caron Butler>Ron Artest
Blake Griffin>Pau Gasol

I am setting fire to staples center if after all this that is our starting lineup.

LemonMan
12-11-2011, 06:44 AM
I completely disagree

Allstar24
12-11-2011, 07:16 AM
LMAO. Blake Griffin looked like CRAP against the Laker bigs last season. He shot like 40% against our size, mostly dunks. It's easy to stop him with length, teams figured that out later in the season, which is why you saw the number of dunks decline. And anyone who thinks he is better than Pau needs to be shot. Please don't use the word rivalry, even with quotations. It is an embarrassment to put the biggest joke of the NBA and the most popular franchise of the NBA in the same sentence. They could get CP3 (and he would leave them in a year) and still never touch the Lakers. There was no rivalry, there is no rivalry, there never will be any rivalry. Its still:

1. Lakers
10. Dodgers
100. Clippers.

That's all.

OmniStrife
12-11-2011, 07:24 AM
LMAO. Blake Griffin looked like CRAP against the Laker bigs last season. He shot like 40% against our size, mostly dunks. It's easy to stop him with length, teams figured that out later in the season, which is why you saw the number of dunks decline. And anyone who thinks he is better than Pau needs to be shot. Please don't use the word rivalry, even with quotations. It is an embarrassment to put the biggest joke of the NBA and the most popular franchise of the NBA in the same sentence. They could get CP3 (and he would leave them in a year) and still never touch the Lakers. There was no rivalry, there is no rivalry, there never will be any rivalry. Its still:

1. Lakers
10. Dodgers
100. Clippers.

That's all.

A note to Clippers fans.
Now that you see insecure hater posts such as these, with such a magnitude of anger....
You know your team is on the right track! :cheers:

trooper
12-11-2011, 07:25 AM

Mo Williams>Fisher
Eric Gordon<Kobe
Caron Butler>Ron Artest
Blake Griffin>Pau Gasol

Incredible homerism. Lakers are contending for the title - Clippers are just gunning for a playoff spot.

Clippers have a brighter future no doubt so I guess you're correct on the 'raw talent' aspect, but to say they're a better team is just incorrect.

brownmamba00
12-11-2011, 07:42 AM

Mo Williams>Fisher
Eric Gordon<Kobe
Caron Butler>Ron Artest
Blake Griffin>Pau Gasol

:roll: :roll: :roll: :facepalm

Blake>Pau?

Lakers' first and second option are better then the Clippers first and second;
Kobe Pau> EJ Griffin
And the Lakers frontcourt>Clippers frontcourt.
But yeah I bet Mo really has a shaq-like impact on the court vs Fisher lmao

Allstar24
12-11-2011, 07:47 AM
Figures that a Suns fan would support a Clippers fan...losers gotta stick together right...enjoy not making the playoffs again :oldlol:
Normally I never respond to these threads but had to interject here as it pissed me off seeing someone is delusional enough to think Blake (a guy who has shown us he can jump) > Pau (a 2x champion, who some thought deserved the FMVP). But whatever fits your agenda huh? Carry on...

Fiasco
12-11-2011, 08:43 AM

1. Lakers
10. Dodgers
100. Clippers.

That's all.

I'm positive this guy didn't just use FG% to make a case for who is better, right?

Head to head stats, Gasol vs. Griffin:

http://www.basketball-reference.com/play-index/h2h_finder.cgi?request=1&p1=griffbl01&p2=gasolpa01

Gasol:

1) Shot a better % from the field
2) Took less shots
3) Had .5 more blocks

Blake Griffin

1) Scored more
2) Went to the line more
3) Rebounded more
4) Had more successful buckets
5) Made more freethrows

Blake Griffin also never dropped less than 15 points on Gasol in each of their matchups. In their first meeting, Pau Gasol only scored 10 points. And that was Griffin's worst game.

Similar ratings against Bynum and, he completely destroys Odom H2H.

Long story short: you're still the #1 bitch-made Lakers fan.

senelcoolidge
12-11-2011, 11:07 AM

Blake was double, sometimes triple teamed with Pau, Bynum and some other guy. Pau could not defend Blake. Blake ran circles around him. Abused Odom all up and down the court. It was no contest. When you stick two 7 footers on one guy, sure it will keep him a little more quiet.

Clippersfan86
12-11-2011, 12:56 PM
:roll: :roll: :roll: :facepalm

Blake>Pau?

Lakers' first and second option are better then the Clippers first and second;
Kobe Pau> EJ Griffin
And the Lakers frontcourt>Clippers frontcourt.
But yeah I bet Mo really has a shaq-like impact on the court vs Fisher lmao

Wow do you even bother to watch basketball? Yes... Griffin is a better individual player than Pau. Hell even SLAM and ESPN ranked him higher a month or two ago which is rare due to the anti Clippers agendas. Clippers have a stronger frontcourt.. do you want to know why? More rebounds, more points in the paint. Plain and simple.

Do some research.

http://www.teamrankings.com/nba/stat/team-rebounds-per-game

http://www.teamrankings.com/nba/stat/total-rebounds-per-game

http://www.teamrankings.com/nba/stat/points-in-paint-per-game

Lakers are right there with Clippers but not better. Caron Butler+Griffin+DJ+Kaman is stronger than Artest+Gasol+Bynum. Especially with Odom gone.

Clippers take 3 out of 5 positions and have a stronger bench. Nothing you said proves that wrong. Even an honest Lakers fan would admit on PAPER the Clippers are better. Doesn't mean they are a better team or will win more. This guy is asking a hypothetical question and I'm giving a hypothetical answer :confusedshrug: .

LemonMan
12-11-2011, 03:56 PM

1. Lakers
10. Dodgers
100. Clippers.

That's all.
:facepalm :wtf:
anyone who says the only thing Griffin does is dunk can't be taken seriously in a conversation like this. Not only will they "touch" the lakers this year, but they will do better than they did last year, and didn't do too bad of a job last year considering they played with injuries (they lost by 7 to the clippers and won by 1,8,13 points) this year, lakers have no odom, and clippers have an addition of butler. do the math
God I hate Laker fans who just say they're the best and every other team sucks especially the clippers since they're in the same city :facepalm

chips93
12-11-2011, 04:31 PM
this year's laker team is the same one who contended last year, and won the title the year before, except without odom.

this year's clipper team is the same one that missed the playoffs, and was never really in contention, with the addition of caron butler.

the lakers are still a lot better. they have the better frontcourt, and have the best player of both teams, as well as experience and leadership. (im looking at you mo williams!)

LemonMan
12-11-2011, 05:20 PM
this year's laker team is the same one who contended last year, and won the title the year before, except without odom.

this year's clipper team is the same one that missed the playoffs, and was never really in contention, with the addition of caron butler.

the lakers are still a lot better. they have the better frontcourt, and have the best player of both teams, as well as experience and leadership. (im looking at you mo williams!)
contended by getting swept by the mavs? and I don't think the clippers' season last year is a good representation of how good they are, and anyone who watches majority of their games will tell you that (because of injuries) and I don't think people realize what an upgrade it is going from ryan gomes to caron butler. The clippers had the biggest hole at the 3 position and the Lakers' biggest advantage was having LO come in and double/tripple team blake. They lost their advantageous height which was why they were so scary before

chazzy
12-11-2011, 05:41 PM
If healthy no question Clippers squad is a better team even with Odom on Lakers

RRR3
12-11-2011, 05:43 PM
Pau Gasol is still better than Blake Griffin. Cough defense cough.

colorz
12-11-2011, 06:02 PM

I'm not saying the Clippers are better, but I feel like the Lakers are going to miss Lamar so much. They did not contend last year, they were swept in the semis, and losing Lamar makes them so much worse. The Lakers no longer have a second unit and have a piece of shit coach.

The Lakers are still better the Clippers, but with more experience and players improving, the gap is not very big.

SpecialQue
12-11-2011, 06:05 PM

If healthy, the Clippers would have already had a title and multiple playoff appearances. It seems like joining this team causes ankles and kneecaps to explode.

colorz
12-11-2011, 06:06 PM
If healthy, the Clippers would have already had a title and multiple playoff appearances. It seems like joining this team causes ankles and kneecaps to explode.

You described the Blazers...not us.

SpecialQue
12-11-2011, 06:09 PM
You described the Blazers...not us.

Nixon and Livingston say hello.

colorz
12-11-2011, 06:13 PM
Nixon and Livingston say hello.

Roy retired after 5 years.
Oden's only played a total of 82 games in the past 3 years.

SpecialQue
12-11-2011, 06:23 PM
Roy retired after 5 years.
Oden's only played a total of 82 games in the past 3 years.

To quote Bill Simmons:

"Our final tally of post-1976 injuries to marquee Clippers players: five career-altering knee injuries (Livingston, Manning, Harper, Smith, Nixon), one career-ending ruptured disc (Johnson), one career-altering back surgery (Vaught), three season-ending torn Achilles (Brand, Archibald, Nixon), one heart arrithymia (Cummings) and multiple foot stress fractures (Walton). Every one of those guys was a top-three player on the team or headed that way."

Clippersfan86
12-11-2011, 06:27 PM

Definitely true and we are talking about on paper. Lakers are the better team but they don't have the better roster if that makes sense. Reality here is the entire Clippers squad is injury prone. So this argument is rather pointless. Lakers will win more and contend at a higher level but they have more holes in the roster.

Btw I love how I post the stats yet people still ignorantly say Lakers have better front court. Clippers rank higher in most post rankings. Clippers are one of few teams in recent years that can play well against Lakers bigs. Griffin had trouble with the length but overall the frontcourt does well.

SpecialQue
12-11-2011, 06:28 PM
Screw it, I'll post the rest of the depressing stats from that article:

"Draft picks the Clips could have made had they just drafted Player B instead of Player A since 1976: Vandeweghe; Wilkins; Willis; Stockton; either McDaniel or Mullin; Price; Pippen, Jackson and Lewis; Rice; Brandon; either Grant or Jones; one of Wallace, Stackhouse or Garnett; Kobe; one of Pierce, Carter or Bibby; Okafor; either Stoudemire or Butler; and Granger.
Players the Clips stupidly gave away or lost without getting anything substantial back: Moses, McAdoo, Dantley, Cummings, Chambers, Manning, Odom, Miller, Brand."

"Here's how the past decade ended in terms of wins for the Clippers (by season): 15, 31, 39, 27, 28, 37, 47, 40, 23, 19.
Our final tally of post-1976 injuries to marquee Clippers players: five career-altering knee injuries (Livingston, Manning, Harper, Smith, Nixon), one career-ending ruptured disc (Johnson), one career-altering back surgery (Vaught), three season-ending torn Achilles (Brand, Archibald, Nixon), one heart arrithymia (Cummings) and multiple foot stress fractures (Walton). Every one of those guys was a top-three player on the team or headed that way.
Total number of post-1976 All-Star appearances by a Clipper or Brave: Seven.
Number of winning Clipper/Brave seasons since 1976: Two.
Number of post-1976 seasons with 30 wins or less: 19.
Number of post-1976 division titles: Zero.
Number of post-1976 last-place finishes: 15.
Number of retired numbers by the Braves/Clippers: Zero.
Overall record since 1976: 944-1730 (.353 winning percentage)."

"Since 1976, the Clippers have drafted only one player who made an All-Star team as a Clipper: Danny Manning in 1993 and 1994. Think about that for a second. It's impossible. It's absolutely true. They made 38 first-round picks since 1980; you will be No. 39. They earned a top-10 pick 23 times since the '76 draft; of those 23 times, 12 were in the top four and three were No. 1 overall. They failed to turn the first 21 chances into a Hall of Famer, borderline Hall of Famer or perennial All-Star. The 22nd chance was Gordon; the 23rd chance is you. The odds are against both of you."

SpecialQue
12-11-2011, 06:30 PM
Definitely true and we are talking about on paper. Lakers are the better team but they don't have the better roster if that makes sense. Reality here is the entire Clippers squad is injury prone. So this argument is rather pointless. Lakers will win more and contend at a higher level but they have more holes in the roster.

Btw I love how I post the stats yet people still ignorantly say Lakers have better front court. Clippers rank higher in most post rankings. Clippers are one of few teams in recent years that can play well against Lakers bigs. Griffin had trouble with the length but overall the frontcourt does well.

I'm not arguing with the state of the team right now. I'm just pointing out that the Clips have had ridiculously bad luck with injuries ruining promising teams. I posted the rest because I don't care what anyone says...the Blazers have won a championship and have contended recently. They aren't "cursed."

Hopefully the Clips' luck has changed.

LemonMan
12-11-2011, 06:43 PM
I'm not arguing with the state of the team right now. I'm just pointing out that the Clips have had ridiculously bad luck with injuries ruining promising teams. I posted the rest because I don't care what anyone says...the Blazers have won a championship and have contended recently. They aren't "cursed."

If we're going to talk based off of luck according to the past, a lot would be different. I totally agree that in the past, Clippers have had horrible picks and bad luck with injuries, but i'm not someone who will say a team is bad because of past bad luck when everyone is healthy now. I think that from this point moving forward, since they already got an amazing draft pick in blake, and got some great pickups to create the team they have now, they are a very scary team that people still underestimate because of the past. I think just like clippersfan said, people ignore very clear stats and still continue to make ignorant statements. I think Lakers are the way more experienced team and have a lot more under their belt, but I think people need to start realizing how much of a contender the Clippers could be with a healthy team

Clippersfan86
12-11-2011, 06:46 PM

I agree dude.

SpecialQue
12-11-2011, 06:50 PM
If we're going to talk based off of luck according to the past, a lot would be different. I totally agree that in the past, Clippers have had horrible picks and bad luck with injuries, but i'm not someone who will say a team is bad because of past bad luck when everyone is healthy now. I think that from this point moving forward, since they already got an amazing draft pick in blake, and got some great pickups to create the team they have now, they are a very scary team that people still underestimate because of the past. I think just like clippersfan said, people ignore very clear stats and still continue to make ignorant statements. I think Lakers are the way more experienced team and have a lot more under their belt, but I think people need to start realizing how much of a contender the Clippers could be with a healthy team

I don't see how a Griffin/Gordan/Jordan team doesn't pose a serious threat to the other teams, especially my Lakers. I'm so confident that they'll make the playoffs this year (if healthy) that I'll even be offering free head if they DON'T. They team's just too good.

LemonMan
12-11-2011, 06:53 PM
I don't see how a Griffin/Gordan/Jordan team doesn't pose a serious threat to the other teams, especially my Lakers. I'm so confident that they'll make the playoffs this year (if healthy) that I'll even be offering free head if they DON'T. They team's just too good.
Let's hope they stay healthy bro :cheers:

Clippersfan86
12-11-2011, 06:58 PM
Lol Que.

TheCalmInsanity
12-11-2011, 07:36 PM
"Since 1976, the Clippers have drafted only one player who made an All-Star team as a Clipper: Danny Manning in 1993 and 1994. Think about that for a second. It's impossible. It's absolutely true. They made 38 first-round picks since 1980; you will be No. 39. They earned a top-10 pick 23 times since the '76 draft; of those 23 times, 12 were in the top four and three were No. 1 overall. They failed to turn the first 21 chances into a Hall of Famer, borderline Hall of Famer or perennial All-Star. The 22nd chance was Gordon; the 23rd chance is you. The odds are against both of you."

Outdated.. Blake Griffin.

TheCalmInsanity
12-11-2011, 07:39 PM

Here's what lots of people don't see... Elgin Baylor was the GM back then. He was also the GM when we picked all those duds from the draft, when we sat back and watched everyone walk, and didn't make an effort to sign free agents.

In these last few years, the Clippers have been in a the news a LOT more. Why do you think that is? Before Dunleavy and Olshey, there was 33 years where Elgin Baylor got paid to sit on his ass and do nothing. Now the Clippers have been trying and Sterling has actually been spending money. He's still an idiot but at least he's paying now.

Again, we've moved into a new era.. That's the difference. We now have a GM who is actually doing work. Keep that in mind when you remember the past and look to the future :)

chips93
12-12-2011, 03:56 PM
contended by getting swept by the mavs? and I don't think the clippers' season last year is a good representation of how good they are, and anyone who watches majority of their games will tell you that (because of injuries) and I don't think people realize what an upgrade it is going from ryan gomes to caron butler. The clippers had the biggest hole at the 3 position and the Lakers' biggest advantage was having LO come in and double/tripple team blake. They lost their advantageous height which was why they were so scary before

anyone who watches the majority of their games is likely pretty biased toward the clippers.

the lakers still have a ton of length around the basket to bother blake.

i remember watching at least one of the laker-clipper games last year and pau did a good job on him, in single coverage.

losing lamar hurts, but still, he was only their 4th best player.

they still control the paint (when they are motivated to) and have kobe, who if we are just making projections, as you are with the clippers, could be really revitalised, with that german procedure, and the extra time off.

lakers are still the better team.

edit: just heard the cp3 trade is dead, so i guess this is all irrelevant . . . for basketball reasons.

WeGetRing2012
12-12-2011, 03:59 PM

1. Lakers
10. Dodgers
25. USC football
100. Clippers.

That's all.

Fixed

LemonMan
01-22-2012, 09:13 PM

1. Lakers
10. Dodgers
100. Clippers.

That's all.
How's that going for you so far :cheers:

Story Up
01-22-2012, 09:19 PM
Clips are clearly better today.

Clippersfan86
01-22-2012, 09:41 PM
Clips are clearly better today.

First in Pacific despite stronger opponents and no CP3 last 5 games. When the team gels they are going to be scary.

Darius
01-22-2012, 09:48 PM
Looking forward to game coming up.

Hopefully CP3 and all Laker players are healthy as I want an all-out-war.

Despite what Fisher claims, this is going to get to be a rivalry real quick if Clipper s remain competitive.

senelcoolidge
01-23-2012, 01:40 AM
It's kind of funny to see how these laker fans act. They act like they are so threatened. Almost afraid. Denial. Don't worry the lakers are not going to be very good for a good while. They will be decent this year and than really fall off.

talkingconch
01-23-2012, 02:29 AM
It's kind of funny to see how these laker fans act. They act like they are so threatened. Almost afraid. Denial. Don't worry the lakers are not going to be very good for a good while. They will be decent this year and than really fall off.
Yeah...no.

Lakers will be back on top sooner or later.

All Net
01-23-2012, 04:22 AM
Clippers are the better team sadly and will be for a while i feel.

i had Clippers down as a top 3-4 seed before the season started.

Lakers_Kobe_Fan
01-23-2012, 04:24 AM
blowout loss for Kobe & Lakers with CP3 and Billups as the opposing pg's

lol...

LemonMan
01-23-2012, 08:23 PM
The pg position in this match-up is pretty ridiculously one sided
Looking forward to wednesday

LemonMan
01-04-2013, 07:42 PM
bump for todays game :cheers:

TryToBeUnbias
01-04-2013, 07:44 PM
Think the lakers show up tonight. :cheers:

Indian guy
01-04-2013, 07:49 PM
Could this game have had a worse lead up? Both teams playing like garbage going into tonight.

LemonMan
01-04-2013, 08:10 PM
Could this game have had a worse lead up? Both teams playing like garbage going into tonight.
even more of a reason why this game is going to be entertaining as always

TheCalmInsanity
01-04-2013, 08:29 PM

Clippers are 17-2 in their last 19 games.