PDA

View Full Version : Clarification: The Clippers said NO

BankShot
12-12-2011, 03:37 PM
C'mon people... David Stern didn't veto this trade.

The Clippers felt the price was too high to trade for Chris Paul.

DStebb716
No. There was a deal agreed to originally that was vetoed. The Clippers denied the advanced requests from the NBA.

Shadynasty's
what was being offered by LA and being asked for by NO though?

i'm not clear on that.. it sounds like Gordon and the Minny pick were being offered but Stern declined?

Scholar
12-12-2011, 03:38 PM
They were basically giving the entire team away!

DuMa
12-12-2011, 03:38 PM
does it really matter?

Lucifer
12-12-2011, 03:39 PM
Negged. This is not thread worthy. Please don't clutter the boards.

gyu
12-12-2011, 03:39 PM
NO wanted Eric Gordon, Bledsoe, Aminu, Kaman, and one or two first picks I read. I do think CP3 is the best pg when healthy and even I think that's too much

Soundwave
12-12-2011, 03:40 PM
I think they'll come to an agreement, the Clippers were right to balk, but eventually they have the best assets of the remaining teams in the hunt.

I think Stern just wants to make it look like he's doing everything he can to make sure the Hornets receive maximum value back, so that the other owners don't get upset that the Hornets just "gave away" Paul for the first decent offer they got.

shootingcomets
12-12-2011, 03:42 PM
They can make a semi decent starting 5 with what they are asking for :eek:

Shadynasty's
12-12-2011, 03:43 PM
NO wanted Eric Gordon, Bledsoe, Aminu, Kaman, and one or two first picks I read.

what were the Clippers willing to offer?

i'd think Gordon or the Minny pick would be the deal breaker but i heard from someone that Bledsoe was the deal breaker.. is that true?

HurricaneKid
12-12-2011, 03:52 PM
what were the Clippers willing to offer?

i'd think Gordon or the Minny pick would be the deal breaker but i heard from someone that Bledsoe was the deal breaker.. is that true?

The Clips offered Gordon OR the Minny #1. The league demanded both. Plus Kaman, Aminu, Bledsoe, etc.

Its like going through a negotiation for a new car. you come to a fair arrangement with the sales guy. And just before you ask for the keys the crazy old GM comes over and says no, it costs "eleventy kajillion dollars". You just walk away, recognizing you wasted hours of your like you wouldn't have had to had you just known you were dealing with the wrong person and that the right person is crazy.

Rake2204
12-12-2011, 03:53 PM
They can make a semi decent starting 5 with what they are asking for :eek:
In New Orleans' defense, they kind of need a decent starting five. Didn't they come to camp with 5-7 players?

BankShot
12-12-2011, 03:55 PM
The Clips offered Gordon OR the Minny #1. The league demanded both. Plus Kaman, Aminu, Bledsoe, etc.

Its like going through a negotiation for a new car. you come to a fair arrangement with the sales guy. And just before you ask for the keys the crazy old GM comes over and says no, it costs "eleventy kajillion dollars". You just walk away, recognizing you wasted hours of your like you wouldn't have had to had you just known you were dealing with the wrong person and that the right person is crazy.

I think people are confusing the Hornets FO with the Hornets ownership.... they are seperate entities.

The Hornets FO made the initial trade with Hou/LAL.... but it was vetoed by its ownership (the other 29 owners) led by David Stern

The Hornets FO wanted both Gordon and Minnesota's 1st rounder.... but the Clippers were unwilling to acquiesce

boozehound
12-12-2011, 03:55 PM
No. There was a deal agreed to originally that was vetoed. The Clippers denied the advanced requests from the NBA.
could you find an article to support this? All I have seen is that the league wanted too much (which they did). Itll get revisited. The league should be patient with this deal, as paul is obviously coveted and the only way he gets to a team of his choosing for a max deal is through a trade.

boozehound
12-12-2011, 03:56 PM
In New Orleans' defense, they kind of need a decent starting five. Didn't they come to camp with 5-7 players?
yes, already added terrico white and dujuan (sp) summers, both former pistons to the camp roster. probably others as well

BankShot
12-12-2011, 04:00 PM
could you find an article to support this? All I have seen is that the league wanted too much (which they did). Itll get revisited. The league should be patient with this deal, as paul is obviously coveted and the only way he gets to a team of his choosing for a max deal is through a trade.

I agree... please post a link that verifies that the league vetoed the Clipper trade.

Sarcastic
12-12-2011, 04:01 PM
http://i43.photobucket.com/albums/e371/StroShow4/nba%20stuff/cpaul.jpg

BankShot
12-12-2011, 04:04 PM
The Clippers were asked to give up five assets in return for Chris Paul

- Eric Gordon
- Al-Farouq Aminu
- Eric Bledsoe
- Chris Kaman's expiring contract
- Minnesota's unprotected 1st round pick in 2012

#ESPNSteinLine

Clippersfan86
The Clippers were asked to give up five assets in return for Chris Paul

- Eric Gordon
- Al-Farouq Aminu
- Eric Bledsoe
- Chris Kaman's expiring contract
- Minnesota's unprotected 1st round pick in 2012

:roll: :roll: . Nice try Stern.

pegasus
http://i43.photobucket.com/albums/e371/StroShow4/nba%20stuff/cpaul.jpg

Does he ever lift? Those arms...:no:

BankShot
12-12-2011, 04:05 PM
:roll: :roll: . Nice try Stern.

You do know that Stern doesn't own the Hornets.... right??

The Hornets are owned by the 29 other NBA teams, which is an entity represented by David Stern.

You do know he's not in the negotitations... right??

HurricaneKid
12-12-2011, 04:07 PM
I think people are confusing the Hornets FO with the Hornets ownership.... they are seperate entities.

The Hornets FO made the initial trade with Hou/LAL.... but it was vetoed by its ownership (the other 29 owners) led by David Stern

The Hornets FO wanted both Gordon and Minnesota's 1st rounder.... but the Clippers were unwilling to acquiesce

This is what I have been saying for a week. The problem is that this is a completely different structure than any other team. You can be sure when you make a deal with the GM re: a team's best player it has been discussed at great length with ownership and given the green light. There does not seem to be suitable communication with NO.

DStebb716
12-12-2011, 04:09 PM

The Hornets are owned by the 29 other NBA teams, which is an entity represented by David Stern.

You are way mislead. The Hornets aren't owned by the 29 other teams, but they are paid for by the other teams. The other 29 owners have NO say in the negotiations and moves. They can protest the move, but they can protest any move in the NBA. They just are more likely to get listened to because Stern doesn't want the owners to get pissed and overthrow him.

BankShot
12-12-2011, 04:11 PM
You are way mislead. The Hornets aren't owned by the 29 other teams, but they are paid for by the other teams. The other 29 owners have NO say in the negotiations and moves. They can protest the move, but they can protest any move in the NBA. They just are more likely to get listened to because Stern doesn't want the owners to get pissed and overthrow him.

Could you please provide supporting evidence for not only this claim, but also the claim that, and I quote,

Otherwise you're just blowing smoke :rolleyes:

NoGunzJustSkillz
12-12-2011, 04:12 PM
as far as i know, the trade got submitted and Stern said no. stern asked for more value and the clippers killed talks.

BankShot
12-12-2011, 04:13 PM
This is what I have been saying for a week. The problem is that this is a completely different structure than any other team. You can be sure when you make a deal with the GM re: a team's best player it has been discussed at great length with ownership and given the green light. There does not seem to be suitable communication with NO.

Absolutely... which is why the process of trading Paul has been so convoluted.

The GM wants to make his mark and keep a competitive team so that he doesn't lose his job if the Hornets suck for having a young team.

The owners want their investment to come to fruition by taking their asset (the Hornets) and making it as attractive as possible to a potential buyer. Young, cheap talent, and draft picks (for all intents and purposes a zero-cost asset) is what makes a trouble franchise attractive for investors.... not paying over $30 million per year for 3-non-allstars

DStebb716
12-12-2011, 04:14 PM
Could you please provide supporting evidence for not only this claim, but also the claim that, and I quote,

Otherwise you're just blowing smoke :rolleyes:

If I wasn't about to leave to take my a final here at college I would do it. But where is your links?

Clippersfan86

Wrong. Sterling nixed this deal. MANY analysts have said Stern threw the deal. I see absolutely zero reason why majority of owners vote on a nix when they don't have anywhere near those assets to trade for CP3. Unless they are like children with the attitude of "Well if we can't have him, nobody can!".

BankShot
as far as i know, the trade got submitted and Stern said no. stern asked for more value and the clippers killed talks.

Links?? :confusedshrug:

Fiasco
12-12-2011, 04:15 PM

This is my understanding as well.

DStebb716
12-12-2011, 04:17 PM
ESPN has said it on air, there are multiple links online saying that Stern nixed a deal. Just google it if you want links so bad.

ballsohard247
Wait, so Stern asked the Clippers to offer MORE?

NoGunzJustSkillz
Absolutely... which is why the process of trading Paul has been so convoluted.

The GM wants to make his mark and keep a competitive team so that he doesn't lose his job if the Hornets suck for having a young team.

The owners want their investment to come to fruition by taking their asset (the Hornets) and making it as attractive as possible to a potential buyer. Young, cheap talent, and draft picks (for all intents and purposes a zero-cost asset) is what makes a trouble franchise attractive for investors.... not paying over $30 million per year for 3-non-allstars
I don't buy this garbage. Regardless of what the Hornets have, it is still going to be an uphill battle to sell to investors willing to keep the Hornets in NO. NBA needs to swallow their pride and just give up on keeping the Hornets in Nola.

boozehound
If I wasn't about to leave to take my a final here at college I would do it. But where is your links?
all over the internet. try espn, yahoo sports, etc.\

http://espn.go.com/los-angeles/nba/story/_/id/7345461/new-orleans-hornets-chris-paul-los-angeles-clippers-trade-dies-price-too-high-sources-say

That is the stein and broussard article. nowhere does it say anything about a veto outside of the hou-lal deal

Clippersfan86
12-12-2011, 04:18 PM
Wait, so Stern asked the Clippers to offer MORE?

Stern wanted Gordon added to existing package. So Bledsoe, Gordon, Kaman, Aminu AND Minny pick.

DStebb716
Wrong. Sterling nixed this deal. MANY analysts have said Stern threw the deal. I see absolutely zero reason why majority of owners vote on a nix when they don't have anywhere near those assets to trade for CP3. Unless they are like children with the attitude of "Well if we can't have him, nobody can!".

There is no vote to nix deals and there never was. They said it was a max of six owners that protested the Lakers deal. The owners have no say in these deals but they protested and Stern listened.

NoGunzJustSkillz
Links?? :confusedshrug:
it's not important enough for me to look for links, but just from watching espn for the past 24 hours, that is what i gather.

BankShot

http://liveflashscore.com/on-nba-control-of-the-hornets-or-what-happens-when-a-league-fails-to-observe-its-own-rules/

On Thursday night, when Chris Paul's trade to the Los Angeles Lakers was abruptly blocked by comissioner David Stern, many immediate reactions focused on the fact that the NBA -- specifically the 29 owners of its other teams -- owns the New Orleans Hornets. With that sort of control, it made some measure of sense that Stern would intervene, because it's technically his role as head of the corporation that owns the team.

http://www.eightpointsnineseconds.com/2011/12/david-stern-explains-why-he-did-not-approve-the-chris-paul-trade/

See, Stern is the commissioner of the league. And the league owns the Hornets.
The 29 other teams each put up an equal stake to purchase the franchise in December 2010 from a debt-laden ownership group led by George Shinn, who was unable to find a local buyer for the team he wanted to sell

DStebb716
12-12-2011, 04:19 PM
all over the internet. try espn, yahoo sports, etc.

Wrong. ESPN and Yahoo are saying that Stern nixed the original and then asked for Bledsoe and more picks to be included.

hawkfan
12-12-2011, 04:19 PM
Is Dell Demps going to re-sign? What can he do now?
Anything he comes up with is going to get shot down.

ballsohard247
12-12-2011, 04:20 PM
Stern wanted Gordon added to existing package. So Bledsoe, Gordon, Kaman, Aminu AND Minny pick.
Oh ok. I thought he wanted the guys you just listed THEN more.

DStebb716
12-12-2011, 04:20 PM
http://liveflashscore.com/on-nba-control-of-the-hornets-or-what-happens-when-a-league-fails-to-observe-its-own-rules/

http://www.eightpointsnineseconds.com/2011/12/david-stern-explains-why-he-did-not-approve-the-chris-paul-trade/

They all pay for the team (hence the equal stake statement) but they don't make the decisions as if they are the owner, David Stern does.

boozehound
12-12-2011, 04:21 PM
Wrong. ESPN and Yahoo are saying that Stern nixed the original and then asked for Bledsoe and more picks to be included.
ok, finals guy. click the link I posted. thats broussard (the most ridiculous "expert" ever) and stein.

BankShot
12-12-2011, 04:21 PM
I don't buy this garbage. Regardless of what the Hornets have, it is still going to be an uphill battle to sell to investors willing to keep the Hornets in NO. NBA needs to swallow their pride and just give up on keeping the Hornets in Nola.

Keeping the Hornets viable absolutely is an uphill battle... but you can't seriously say that a team paying Gordon, Aminu, and Bledsoe $8 million plus the unprotected draft pick of the worst team in the league isn't more attractive to potential buyers than a team paying Scola/Martin/Odom almost $30 million??

DStebb716
12-12-2011, 04:22 PM

I think he should. He could get a job elsewhere easily. People understand what the pressure he is under and he constructed TWO BRILLIANT DEALS to acquire the right assets to rebuild.

Clippersfan86
Oh ok. I thought he wanted the guys you just listed THEN more.

That's a hell of a lot dude. Our starting center, star SG, back up PG, back up SF and an incredibly valuable draft pick. If CP3 was on a 5 year deal fine.. but most we get him for before contract ends is 2 years.

NoGunzJustSkillz
call me crazy, but i think a t-wolves 1st rounder and gordon should be enough for chris paul considering the circumstances.

boozehound
12-12-2011, 04:23 PM

I do think he is correct that the nba is the responsible party for "owning" the team. Meaning Stern or the board of governors can make decisions, but there is no appeal to owners outside of that.

Regardless, stern (as the rep of the hornets owners) had every right to nix the lal deal. This clip deal is much better moving forward. There is no reason he has to give in on an early trade offer.

DStebb716
12-12-2011, 04:24 PM
Really people? Are we this ****ing stupid? AT THE NBA'S DIRECTION means that the NBA is doing the negotiations and will or have vetoed any deal that doesn't include what is done. The NBA forced the discussions to break off because they were trying to rape the Clippers.

NoGunzJustSkillz
12-12-2011, 04:25 PM
Keeping the Hornets viable absolutely is an uphill battle... but you can't seriously say that a team paying Gordon, Aminu, and Bledsoe $8 million plus the unprotected draft pick of the worst team in the league isn't more attractive to potential buyers than a team paying Scola/Martin/Odom almost $30 million??
if it's really that important...you run with the 1st rounder and trade gordon and bledsoe for picks or younger cheaper talent. i mean the hornets got 4 or 5 players signed for the season. they need players regardless. everybody acts as if this trade goes down, NOLA is stuck with the incoming players. they aren't.

opps my bad definitely read your post wrong. you're on the money!

Fiasco
Stern has to know that every game Chris Paul plays has a Hornets makes him less and less valuable.

JustinJDW
Gordon AND the Minny pick? Yeah, no. So basically they want a Top 5 SG who's a future All-Star, a Top 5 pick in a deep draft that is probably a future All-Star, a huge expiring contract and two young prospects? For a banged up Chris Paul who isn't even signing a full extension?

Yeah, go **** yourself on that one Stern, or NO Front Office, owner, "league offices", or whoever is doing this shit.

boozehound
Really people? Are we this ****ing stupid? AT THE NBA'S DIRECTION means that the NBA is doing the negotiations and will or have vetoed any deal that doesn't include what is done. The NBA forced the discussions to break off because they were trying to rape the Clippers.
they told the clips what they wanted and the clips balked. very different than "nixing" a deal. its called negotiation. what a dumbass you are.

Clippersfan86
12-12-2011, 04:26 PM
Gordon AND the Minny pick? Yeah, no. So basically they want a Top 5 SG who's a future All-Star, a Top 5 pick in a deep draft that is probably a future All-Star, a huge expiring contract and two young prospects? And Chris Paul isn't signing an extension? Just a damn player-option?

Yeah, go **** yourself on that one Stern, or NO Front Office, owner,
league offices", or whoever is doing this shit.

Love this guy. You got it! This is exactly how I feel. Stern can eat a di**. Clippers are gonna be great regardless soon.

BankShot

Wait, so the NBA (David Stern) forced the discussion to break off because they (NBA=David Stern) were trying to rape the Clippers?

So who is who?? :roll: :roll:

boozehound
if it's really that important...you run with the 1st rounder and trade gordon and bledsoe for picks or younger cheaper talent. i mean the hornets got 4 or 5 players signed for the season. they need players regardless. everybody acts as if this trade goes down, NOLA is stuck with the incoming players. they aren't.
there isnt younger, cheaper talent than those two guys. what the **** are you smoking? those guys (and aminu) are the young cheap talent, which is how you rebuild a team.

NoGunzJustSkillz
12-12-2011, 04:28 PM
Anybody know what the official trade was that got submitted yesterday between the Clipps and NOLA?

bmulls
12-12-2011, 04:28 PM
they told the clips what they wanted and the clips balked. very different than "nixing" a deal. its called negotiation. what a dumbass you are.

If Stern told Demps he was only allowed to accept Kobe/Bynum/Gasol for CP3, that is the exact same thing as vetoing the deal. He just nixed it before it was even proposed.

JohnnyWall
12-12-2011, 04:29 PM
If you're in a rush to sell your $30k car, someone comes to you with an offer of $28.5k and you respond with "$90k or GTFO!" that potential buyer is probably going to say no. But really, who's holding up the deal?

The Hornets have had 2 chances to get as close to equal value as they're ever going to get this season, and both times the deals have collapsed because of the Hornets' ownership.

NoGunzJustSkillz
12-12-2011, 04:29 PM
there isnt younger, cheaper talent than those two guys. what the **** are you smoking? those guys (and aminu) are the young cheap talent, which is how you rebuild a team.
lol i agree...just wasnt sure what gordon was getting paid...stay classy bro. maybe i misread banshot...thought he was saying they weren't what the hornets need.

boozehound
12-12-2011, 04:30 PM
If Stern told Demps he was only allowed to accept Kobe/Bynum/Gasol for CP3, that is the exact same thing as vetoing the deal. He just nixed it before it was even proposed.
so, the owner (or owner's rep) cant set his minimum price? of course he can. non-story.

DevilsAssassin
12-12-2011, 04:31 PM
RealGM RealGM
Clippers Told Hornets To Pick Between Eric Gordon, 2012 Minnesota Pick (NBA Wanted Both For Chris Paul)

boozehound
If you're in a rush to sell your $30k car, someone comes to you with an offer of $28.5k and you respond with "$90k or GTFO!" that potential buyer is probably going to say no. But really, who's holding up the deal?

The Hornets have had 2 chances to get as close to equal value as they're ever going to get this season, and both times the deals have collapsed because of the Hornets' ownership.
you, and others, are nuts if you think paul wont draw a huge return in a trade. They will get trades similar to this until the trade deadline. the only rush is for fans who are impatient.

Clippersfan86

Not really. This is the kind of negotiating Stern did in the CBA and we all saw how long that took to resolve. Only time the CBA finally went through is when he left his cutthroat approach alone and made concessions.

boozehound
12-12-2011, 04:32 PM
lol i agree...just wasnt sure what gordon was getting paid...stay classy bro. maybe i misread banshot...thought he was saying they weren't what the hornets need.
just under 4 this year. Hard to stay classy when the interweb (including the media sites) are so full of misinformation and emotionally charged knee jerk reactions.

ballsohard247
12-12-2011, 04:32 PM
That's a hell of a lot dude. Our starting center, star SG, back up PG, back up SF and an incredibly valuable draft pick. If CP3 was on a 5 year deal fine.. but most we get him for before contract ends is 2 years.
I agree that is a lot for CP3 at this point, but you know Stern is going to going to try and shit whatever team he trades him to. It is a win-win for him in that way. If someone does take a lopsided offer, it helps NO. If no one does, then maybe Paul stays in NO.

Doctor Rivers
12-12-2011, 04:33 PM
you, and others, are nuts if you think paul wont draw a huge return in a trade. They will get trades similar to this until the trade deadline. the only rush is for fans who are impatient.

who else out there can even offer as much as the clips just did?

boozehound
12-12-2011, 04:34 PM
Not really. This is the kind of negotiating Stern did in the CBA and we all saw how long that took to resolve. Only time the CBA finally went through is when he left his cutthroat approach alone and made concessions.
pretty sure he got what he wanted in the cba. stern doesnt care if it take till the trade deadline (or even offseason SnT) to move paul, his goal is to maximize the return in a way that makes the team desirable to potential buyers.

This idea that it is now or never for this trade is asinine.

NoGunzJustSkillz
12-12-2011, 04:34 PM
just under 4 this year. Hard to stay classy when the interweb (including the media sites) are so full of misinformation and emotionally charged knee jerk reactions.
maybe you should get a fcking life than instead of sitting online on Monday arguing all day with a bunch of children. but yeah i def read bankshot's post wrong...thought he was saying bledsoe, gordon, etc wasnt enough. my bad bankshot.

BankShot
12-12-2011, 04:35 PM

Yeah I was trying to say young-cheap-talent >>>> $30million-non-allstar in terms of being attractive to a new owner

bmulls
12-12-2011, 04:35 PM
I agree that is a lot for CP3 at this point, but you know Stern is going to going to try and shit whatever team he trades him to. It is a win-win for him in that way. If someone does take a lopsided offer, it helps NO. If no one does, then maybe Paul stays in NO.

Or Paul gets pissed, walks away after next season and leaves the already crappy Hornets completely destitute. The longer this drags on more CP3s value drops.

Clippersfan86
12-12-2011, 04:36 PM
pretty sure he got what he wanted in the cba. stern doesnt care if it take till the trade deadline (or even offseason SnT) to move paul, his goal is to maximize the return in a way that makes the team desirable to potential buyers.

Wrong. He gave the players big concessions before deal was submitted and even NBPA admitted that. Stern had all the leverage the entire time yet STILL had to give up quite a bit in the last 24 hours. He's going to have to do the same to move CP3.

ballsohard247
12-12-2011, 04:38 PM
Or Paul gets pissed, walks away after next season and leaves the already crappy Hornets completely destitute. The longer this drags on more CP3s value drops.
This too. Right now it's Stern's best option. It's a high risk to take giving CP3 the opportunity to walk, but the organization is as good as dead if he is traded now. This way at least he stays until the end of the year and maybe can be convinced to stay in NO. In my opinion NO is doomed anyways, CP3 or no CP3. The fan support just isn't there.

BankShot

I totally disagree.... Chris Paul himself has nothing to do with this situation. He's said all the right things about his loyalty to his city and franchise, and has been professional outside of the wedding toast.

Regardless of him being traded now, or at the deadline, the Hornets still are looking for maximum value for a maximum value player. They know the offers on the table, and will continue to sort through them to get the best value for Paul that will make the Hornets Franchise most attractive to a potential buyer.

The fact that the 29 other owners wanting fair value, and good teams not able to give fair value, are correlative but not causational.

NoGunzJustSkillz
Yeah I was trying to say young-cheap-talent >>>> $30million-non-allstar in terms of being attractive to a new owner
oh yeah absolutely...are there actually idiots in this thread/forum arguing otherwise?

BankShot
12-12-2011, 04:39 PM

Well put :applause:

boozehound
12-12-2011, 04:42 PM
who else out there can even offer as much as the clips just did?
well, they didnt offer the entire package. I think the nba will end up taking some combo from the clippers (prob the package without gordon or possibly the pick) sometime during the season.

DirtySanchez
12-12-2011, 04:43 PM
How does Paul stay in NO when he is free to walk next year? What is Sterns thinking?

boozehound
12-12-2011, 04:43 PM
maybe you should get a fcking life than instead of sitting online on Monday arguing all day with a bunch of children. but yeah i def read bankshot's post wrong...thought he was saying bledsoe, gordon, etc wasnt enough. my bad bankshot.
perhaps you should take your own advice?

Fiasco
12-12-2011, 04:44 PM
well, they didnt offer the entire package. I think the nba will end up taking some combo from the clippers (prob the package without gordon or possibly the pick) sometime during the season.

Clippers won't offer that package during the season. At that point, Bledsoe/Aminu could be hitting their potentials, Minnesota could be last place, and Eric Gordon could be an All-Star candidate, giving the Clippers even less incentive to offer what they already are.

The more games CP3 plays in a Hornets jersey = the less value he has around the league, his contract considering.

boozehound
12-12-2011, 04:44 PM
How does Paul stay in NO when he is free to walk next year? What is Sterns thinking?
what team can offer him a max contract? even without the bonus year and % from a re-signing team.

DirtySanchez
12-12-2011, 04:45 PM
Of course it is not now or never right now...but there is a timeline right?

Paul can walk next year and the Hornets get nothing.

Clippersfan86
12-12-2011, 04:45 PM
Clippers won't offer that package during the season. At that point, Bledsoe/Aminu could be hitting their potentials, Minnesota could be last place, and Eric Gordon could be an All-Star candidate, giving the Clippers even less incentive to offer what they already are.

The more games CP3 plays in a Hornets jersey = the less value he has around the league, his contract considering.

Exactly. I didn't get too excited about this deal because there are pros and cons to gutting team for CP3. I'm happy regardless. This team is going to be very nice this year sans CP3.

DirtySanchez
12-12-2011, 04:46 PM
what team can offer him a max contract? even without the bonus year and % from a re-signing team.

OK...school me on this..Can Paul sign where ever he wants to next year as a FA? And take what ever $$$$ they throw at him even if it is less?

D12"Magic"
12-12-2011, 04:47 PM
Edit: Never mind, picture wont show up for

BASKETBALL REASONS........

boozehound
12-12-2011, 04:47 PM

I dont really see this. if you have a chance to add him (presuming he's agreed to extend his contract), you move those types of players without a doubt. if the clips are depending on bledsoe and aminu this year (clearly they are not), they will be disappointed.

BTW, I didnt mean the nba wishlist package, but some combo of kaman, pick, and young players.

BankShot
12-12-2011, 04:48 PM

Just because he wasn't traded today, or last week.... it doesn't mean he won't be traded before the end of the season, or during next year's free agency

bmulls
12-12-2011, 04:48 PM
Edit: Never mind, picture wont show

is missing a giant box that says "Basketball Reasons???"

boozehound
12-12-2011, 04:49 PM
OK...school me on this..Can Paul sign where ever he wants to next year as a FA? And take what ever $$$$ they throw at him even if it is less?
sure. he is an unrestricted FA. but it is structured to give the current team a leg up. Lets put it this way. If paul was to sign with the knicks (before the chandler trade), he would have left something like 20 million over 4 years on the table (something like 66/4 instead of 84/4). thats a quarter of the contract. why would he do that?

NoGunzJustSkillz
12-12-2011, 04:50 PM
Just because he wasn't traded today, or last week.... it doesn't mean he won't be traded before the end of the season, or during next year's free agency
yeah guys don't forget the hornets can do a sign and trade after the season. ball is totally in their court.

DirtySanchez

I think he will be traded....

But for what who and where? Does Paul still have any leverage if he says he will not re-sign with the team he goes to.

blacknapalm
NO only has six players under contract. i don't see how they're supposed to play a season with everyone playing 45+ minutes and if one guy gets hurt, you have to forfeit games.

bmulls
12-12-2011, 04:51 PM
sure. he is an unrestricted FA. but it is structured to give the current team a leg up. Lets put it this way. If paul was to sign with the knicks (before the chandler trade), he would have left something like 20 million over 4 years on the table (something like 66/4 instead of 84/4). thats a quarter of the contract. why would he do that?

To win championships? We've already seen guys take less money to play together, including the least likely guy you could imagine, Lebron.

D12"Magic"
12-12-2011, 04:52 PM
is missing a giant box that says "Basketball Reasons???"
:lol
Not really, i'll try to post it later

NoGunzJustSkillz
12-12-2011, 04:54 PM
NO only has six players under contract. i don't see how they're supposed to play a season with everyone paying 45+ minutes and if one guy gets hurt, you have to forfeit games.
Hornets have $42,000,000 tied up in contracts. they must spend 85% of the 2012 salary cap. what is the salary cap?

DirtySanchez
12-12-2011, 04:54 PM
To win championships? We've already seen guys take less money to play together, including the least likely guy you could imagine, Lebron.

How much did LeBron leave on the table?

bmulls
12-12-2011, 04:55 PM
How much did LeBron leave on the table?

they all left $15m on the table I believe

blacknapalm
12-12-2011, 04:57 PM
Hornets have $42,000,000 tied up in contracts. they must spend 85% of the 2012 salary cap. what is the salary cap?

58 million. 70 million for luxury tax. that means they have to pay 7.3 million more. right now, they can't even field a team for the season

Darius
12-12-2011, 04:59 PM
With new CBA can Paul be signed and traded with a 5yr/max contract at the end of season?

boozehound
12-12-2011, 04:59 PM
dude, they took something like .8 mil less in the first year (but higher raise % because it was a SnT). its really not comparable.

Yeah, they left more than I realized. ignore the above comment.

however, it was 15 mil over 6 years. this is 20 mil over 4. big difference.

boozehound
12-12-2011, 05:03 PM
NO only has six players under contract. i don't see how they're supposed to play a season with everyone playing 45+ minutes and if one guy gets hurt, you have to forfeit games.
well, they will add players since they have to have 12 on the roster. they have already added to the camp roster, some of whom will stick.

blacknapalm
12-12-2011, 05:06 PM
well, they will add players since they have to have 12 on the roster. they have already added to the camp roster, some of whom will stick.

so in other words, without a trade (and even possibly with one), NO is gonna make a run for worst team in the league and get a top 2 pick? :oldlol:

or cp3 comes out extra motivated and nearly gets them to the PO's...

Darius
12-12-2011, 06:40 PM
League Office trying to revive but Clips say they are over it:

KBergCBS Ken Berger
League officials' efforts to re-engage Clippers in Chris Paul talks not going well, source says. As far as team is concerned, "It's over."

Fiasco
12-12-2011, 06:44 PM

KBergCBS Ken Berger
League officials' efforts to re-engage Clippers in Chris Paul talks not going well, source says. As far as team is concerned, "It's over."

That's because the Clippers know they aren't bidding against anybody but themselves.

qrich
12-12-2011, 06:47 PM

KBergCBS Ken Berger

Olshey is a hell of a GM realizing that with the Lakers dealing Odom away for half a penny on the dollar, they have no one to really bid against. Bled + Aminu + Minny Pick + Kaman is a solid offer.

NoGunzJustSkillz
12-12-2011, 06:54 PM
Man, can the league look any worse then it does now?

Clippersfan86
12-12-2011, 06:59 PM
http://espn.go.com/los-angeles/nba/story/_/id/7345461/new-orleans-hornets-chris-paul-los-angeles-clippers-trade-falls-apart-price-too-high-sources-say

Fiasco
12-12-2011, 07:00 PM
Man, can the league look any worse then it does now?

It will be revealed on the 25th that David Stern does not celebrate Christmas, and all games scheduled on that day will be cancelled.

chazzy
12-12-2011, 07:01 PM
ramonashelburne ramonashelburne
Clippers GM: "Right now, what would take the ability to get a deal done on their end, the cost was just too high."

Clippers GM: "It was going to hamstring our franchise in the long term. It wasn't just a deal for this season. "

Clippers GM: "I can just tell you that the aggregate compensation that we were going to have to convey to them was just too much"