PDA

View Full Version : Why keeping Eric Bledsoe made this trade GREAT for the Clippers

FourthTenor
12-14-2011, 09:01 PM
First of all, I was one of the people saying that giving up Gordon AND Minny #1 was too much for Paul, and it should only be one or the other, plus the rest of the assets. But this was assuming Bledsoe would be included as one of those other assets.

We heard a couple days ago that Bledsoe was actually the hang up for the Clippers on the initial deal. What's the big deal about about Bledsoe, you akxs? Here's the deal:

The Clippers would not be able to afford Paul and Gordon anyway. DJ now makes 11m/yr. Caron Butler is signed for 8m/yr. Paul makes 17m next year. Blake will be a 30% max player. Those four alone (once Griffin is extended) would account for roughly 50 million dollars in cap space. Tack on Mo Williams' contract? 58 million. The rest of the filler combined will probably bring it up to 65 million.

Eric Gordon is due for a big contract. He's not takin half his market value to stay with the Clips, even with Paul there. So he's gone anyway if you bring in Paul. The tax starts lower and gets stiffer after this season I believe, and you'd have big-spending owners who wouldnt be willing to pay 70+ for even this team. The Donald is definitely doing no such thing. As it is, Mo Williams is not long for this team.

What does Bledsoe do? It allows the Clippers to pay Paul the max, Blake the max, Jordan 11m, Butler 8m, and still have a GOOD rotation guard on a cheap contract. As a sixth man combo guard, Blesoe has serious potential to be effective. His game isn't too unlike Gordon's, in fact. Bledsoe plays better off the ball than with it anyway, he'll make a great compliment to Paul. So basically, he can do 3/4 of Gordon's job, for about 1/8 the pricetag.

Paul < Gordon, Bledsoe, Minny pick
Paul + Bledsoe > Gordon + Minny pick.

It's just math. They're not keeping and paying a team stacked full of expensive talent. That's an unavoidable fact. Bledsoe gives them a talented guy on a cheap deal which allows them to pay the other guys. Keeping Gordon and Paul with Blake, DJ, and Caron wasn't happen4ing. This gets you Paul and a jr. version of Gordon basically. That's what makes it a good trade for the Clippers. Kaman and Aminu don't matter.

JGXEN
12-14-2011, 09:04 PM
Mmmmmmmm ok. Thanks for the +1.

Status Quo
12-14-2011, 09:07 PM
Optimistic way of looking at things, I like it!

FourthTenor
12-14-2011, 09:07 PM
Mmmmmmmm ok. Thanks for the +1.

I bet you look like your avatar in real life.

JGXEN
12-14-2011, 09:10 PM
I bet you look like your avatar in real life.
:lol :mad: :mad::mad::mad:

FourthTenor
12-14-2011, 09:13 PM
Of course, if they would've held off on signing Caron Buter - which I didn't like to begin with (bc of the contract numbers) - then holding on to Gordon instead of Bledsoe might have been feasible.

But as it is, with the two excessive contracts already given out DJ and Butler, the Clippers had to choose two of the three between Paul, Blake, and Gordon.

I give props to Olshey for how he's handling this. People are underrating the tight-fistedness of Donald Sterling. He'll spend a little more on a team that's got Griffin and Paul on it, but he's still not gonna throw the balance sheet out entirely the way other owners probably would. I guarantee Olshey is operating under stricter financial parameters than most of us think. By getting Billups they can now move Mo, move Gordon, and basically pay Paul 17 million, Billups 2 million, and Bledsoe 3 million, Foye 4 million. Thus he keeps his notoriously frugal boss, Donald Tokowitz, appeased while still fielding the best guard rotation in the league!

That's pretty deft. I give the dude some props.

FourthTenor
12-14-2011, 09:27 PM
Now what they really need to get is a Kurt Thomas/Marcus Camby type veteran guy to protect the paint when DJ is catchin a breather or in foul trouble. They've got a decent stretch 4 in the rotation in Cookie, they just gotta add a defensive-minded veteran hustle player to complete the main rotation. Wish we coulda nabbed Turiaf from the Knicks or KT before he went to the Blazers. But alas, we couldnt make moves until we knew Kaman was definitely gone.

Who is left out there that could fit the bill?

DuMa
12-14-2011, 09:29 PM
I like your logic but Bledsoe doesnt have the size to be a combo guard in this league. He is strictly PG sized.

dab0yech0
12-14-2011, 09:43 PM
This actually makes sense, the Clipps are built like a superior college team right now with a super athletic center, a deadly pick and roll combo and a slasher wing. Bledsoe also played off ball to John Wall at Kentucky so hes actually used to it.

GOBB
12-14-2011, 09:53 PM
So you admit minny 1st pick unprotected and eric gordon was too much to give up. But not that much considering Eric Bledsoe wasnt included? :roll:

What is this damage control? What is this let me hide my true feelings?

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y48/StrikSkillz/needmorepeople.jpg

FourthTenor
12-14-2011, 09:58 PM
I like your logic but Bledsoe doesnt have the size to be a combo guard in this league. He is strictly PG sized.

Au contraire, mon frere....

Bledsoe is built like a tank, just the way Gordon is. He also has a wingspan longer than most other NBA players his height. He was actually one of the best rebounders at the guard position last year (whereas Gordon is near last) and he can definitely check most 2s. He also was near the top in blocks among pg's, and good with steals as well. He's strong, has good length, and crazy hops.

Sure, a tall SG who also has great post-up skills, like Kobe, would give him trouble, but really how many of those are there in the league? He can easily match up on a nightly basis with the likes of Landry Fields, DeMar DeRozan, Jason Richardson, JR Smiff, OJ Mayo and basically most starting caliber two guards.

FourthTenor
12-14-2011, 10:03 PM
So you admit minny 1st pick unprotected and eric gordon was too much to give up. But not that much considering Eric Bledsoe wasnt included? :roll:

What is this damage control? What is this let me hide my true feelings?

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y48/StrikSkillz/needmorepeople.jpg

Huh?

What????

What are you even talking about gobb. I literally don't actually understand what you're saying or implying or attempting to get across.

Didn't your mother teach you? "If you don't have something relevant to say... you probably watch the 6ers"

Go be 100% jelly JELL in someone elses thread! :roll:

http://media.giantbomb.com/uploads/0/2986/566166-chris_paul_large.jpg

Go on! Gitt!

Aussie Dunker
12-14-2011, 10:11 PM
Unless he has the skillset of Iverson there is no way he flirts with being a 2 guard :facepalm

GOBB
12-14-2011, 10:13 PM
Unless he has the skillset of Iverson there is no way he flirts with being a 2 guard :facepalm

Keeping Eric Bledsone while giving up Minny 1st rd pick in 2012 AND Eric JORDAN was a win for LA. What dont you understand mang? :roll:

DuMa
12-14-2011, 10:14 PM
Au contraire, mon frere....

Bledsoe is built like a tank, just the way Gordon is. He also has a wingspan longer than most other NBA players his height. He was actually one of the best rebounders at the guard position last year (whereas Gordon is near last) and he can definitely check most 2s. He also was near the top in blocks among pg's, and good with steals as well. He's strong, has good length, and crazy hops.

Sure, a tall SG who also has great post-up skills, like Kobe, would give him trouble, but really how many of those are there in the league? He can easily match up on a nightly basis with the likes of Landry Fields, DeMar DeRozan, Jason Richardson, JR Smiff, OJ Mayo and basically most starting caliber two guards.

maybe the league is going that way into a small 2guard trend but still bledsoe would be better off developed as a PG rather than a SG. his playmaking ability is a lot better than his shooting ability right now.

boozehound
12-14-2011, 10:22 PM
I am a bledsoe fan. they obviously need to figure it out (with mo, paul, billups and him all to small to be full time 2s - though billups, mo and eric all have enough size for stints).

FourthTenor
12-14-2011, 10:34 PM
I am a bledsoe fan. they obviously need to figure it out (with mo, paul, billups and him all to small to be full time 2s - though billups, mo and eric all have enough size for stints).

Exactly. I didn't at any point say "Bledsoe will make a perfect starting two guard down the road".... I said "Bledsoe can be a great sixth-man combo guard who has the ability to be effective off-ball next to CP."

Also... people are now starting to overrate Gordon. Because he has the two things basketball fans overrate the most: Youth, and a high ppg (on a bad team).

Seriously, what makes Gordon any different than Jamal Crawford, BESIDES the difference in age? Do people think because Gordon is young, that means in 3 years he's gonna be grabbing more rebounds than he does now? He'll be scoring 5 points per game more? He's gonna grow to Lebron's height?

Eric Gordon is a nice player, a very good ROLE player. The reason he is a role player is because he is not instinctive enough and versatile enough to be a star. Role players either do one thing really well, or a lot of things pretty well. Stars do a lot of things really well. Gordon aint the smartest and most instinctive player, thats just a fact. His handles improved last year but they'll never be like CP3's. Paul is a much smarter player, better handles, and frankly a more efficient outside shooter.

To include Bledsoe would basically mean wiping out ALL your retainable depth/assets, which makes no sense regardless of who you're bringing in. But seriously, swapping Chris Paul for Eric Gordon and a good draft pick, people are acting like that's a close call?

Stop.

FourthTenor
12-14-2011, 10:42 PM
Sorry but this thread needs to remain above any thread by "clippersfan86" because that guys a fool and nothing he says about the team or the league or anything is relevant.

GOBB
12-14-2011, 10:42 PM
Exactly. I didn't at any point say "Bledsoe will make a perfect starting two guard down the road".... I said "Bledsoe can be a great sixth-man combo guard who has the ability to be effective off-ball next to CP."

Also... people are now starting to overrate Gordon. Because he has the two things basketball fans overrate the most: Youth, and a high ppg (on a bad team).

Seriously, what makes Gordon any different than Jamal Crawford, BESIDES the difference in age? Do people think because Gordon is young, that means in 3 years he's gonna be grabbing more rebounds than he does now? He'll be scoring 5 points per game more? He's gonna grow to Lebron's height?

Eric Gordon is a nice player, a very good ROLE player. The reason he is a role player is because he is not instinctive enough and versatile enough to be a star. Role players either do one thing really well, or a lot of things pretty well. Stars do a lot of things really well. Gordon aint the smartest and most instinctive player, thats just a fact. His handles improved last year but they'll never be like CP3's. Paul is a much smarter player, better handles, and frankly a more efficient outside shooter.

To include Bledsoe would basically mean wiping out ALL your retainable depth/assets, which makes no sense regardless of who you're bringing in. But seriously, swapping Chris Paul for Eric Gordon and a good draft pick, people are acting like that's a close call?

Stop.

Time to hit the ISH search feature and pull up posts from you to contradict what was said in bold. :roll:

This oughta be fun.

FourthTenor
12-14-2011, 10:48 PM
Time to hit the ISH search feature and pull up posts from you to contradict what was said in bold. :roll:

This oughta be fun.

Go for it. Anything you'll find of me overtly over-rating Gordon will be from like his rookie year, when I projected his ceiling to be basically Dwayne Wade.

You won't find anything recent or within at least a year ago from now.

I like the dude a lot. I'd LOVE to have kept him AND Paul with Blake and DJ but obviously we know who owns the Clippers and we know that's not happening. Two max players, PLUS Gordon getting near max, WHILE guys like DJ, Caron, and Mo are making 11, 8, and 8?? Not happening in a million years.

Good luck justifying Eric Gordon + Minny pick > Chris Paul.

The floor is yours.

FourthTenor
12-14-2011, 11:04 PM

This oughta be fun.

Still scouring there, gobb?

Keep scrollin and trollin'.

Wake me up when you find something.

FourthTenor
12-15-2011, 12:42 AM
Basketball Reasons.
:djparty

Droid101
12-15-2011, 12:48 AM
Gobb jealous that no player wants to be traded to the Sixers, ever.

Akrazotile
04-01-2014, 07:19 PM

http://s13.postimg.org/xvqp9peon/BAH.png

:facepalm